|Paulding County Markers
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-4 — 20th Corps Detours to New Hope Church|
|One-half mile E. the old road from Burnt Hickory to Dallas joined one leading E., via Pumpkin Vine Bridge, near Owen's Mill, to New Hope Church. May 25,
1864: Geary's (2d), followed by William's (1st) div., 20th A.C. [US], turned E. when assailed by outposts of Hood's A.C. [CS] which had reached New Hope from Allatoona. Pressing forward and reinforced by 4th and 23rd A.C., [US] Geary's div. assaulted the entrenched line of Hood's A.C. posted in and near the cemetery at New Hope Church - a battle fought in rain and thunderstorm. — Map (db m20248) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-7 — Army of the Tenn. At Dallas|
|May 25, 1864. McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., [US] marching from Wooley’s Bridge (Etowah River), via Van Wert, reached Pumpkin Vine Cr., Logan’s 15th A.C. [US] camped near Pumpkin Vine Church, 2 mi. S.
May 26, Dodge’s 16th A.C. [US] reached Pumpkin Vine Cr. (via State Highway 6) before dawn & by 10 o’clock, was across.
Both corps entered Dallas 2 p.m., Logan marching from Pumpkin Vine Church (via State Highway 120). Opposed by Confederate Cavalry, the Federals advanced E. to the Marietta and Villa Rica roads. — Map (db m35776) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-6 — Army of the Tenn. To Dallas|
|May 24, 1864. McPherson’s 15th & 16th A.C. [US] left Euharlee Creek (at Aragon, Polk County) & passed through Van Wert, his route being present State Highways 101 & 6 Turning E. (toward Yorkville, Paulding Co.), camp was made at Raccoon Creek near here.
At this stage of the Federal march to outflank Johnston’s forces [CS] at Allatoona, McPherson was on extreme right. Next on left was Davis’ (2d) div., 14th A.C. [US] which turned E., May 25, at Van Wert to reach Dallas via Bishop’s Mill. — Map (db m35773) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — Atlanta Campaign — New Hope Church — May 25 - June 4, 1864|
|Here, at New Hope Church, Confederate and Federal armies engaged in a desperate battle as the former blocked the way to Atlanta, key industrial center of the Confederacy. Sherman again outflanked the Confederates and the two armies moved to renew the struggle at Kennesaw Mountain. — Map (db m20873) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-28 — Battle of New Hope Church|
|Lt. Gen. J. B. Hood’s A.C. [CS], having marched from the Etowah River, reached New Hope Ch., May 25, 1864, in time to halt Gen. J. W. Geary’s (2d) div., 20th A.C. [US], which had detoured near Owens’ Mill enroute to Dallas by New Hope. Checked by Hood’s outposts near the mill, the Federals advanced & struck Stewart’s div. [CS] astride the road at this point -- the left brigade (Stovall’s) in the cemetery, with no intrenchments. Followed then several hours of bitter conflict -- late afternoon . . . — Map (db m20840) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-27 — Battle of Pickett’s Mill|
|After the successful defense at New Hope Church by Hood’s Corps [CS], May 25, 1864, Johnston [CS] extended his right NE to keep pace with the Federal leftward shift to outflank him. Elements of the 4th, 14th and 23rd Corps under Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard [US] with over 18,000 men passed this point seeking the extreme right of the Confederate army. The Federal forces attacked a point where the Army of Tennessee’s line bent back to the south. The brigades of Hazen, Gibson and Scribner . . . — Map (db m20838) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-27 — Battle of Pickett's Mill|
|After the successful defense at New Hope Church by Hood’s Corps [CS], May 25, 1864, Johnston [CS] extended his right NE to keep pace with the Federal leftward shift to outflank him.
Elements of the 4th, 14th and 23rd Corps under Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard [US] with over 18,000 men passed this point seeking the extreme right of the Confederate army. The Federal forces attacked a point where the Army of Tennessee’s line bent back to the south. The brigades of Hazen, Gibson and Scribner . . . — Map (db m87388) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-28 — Brown's Mill|
|One-half mi. S.W., on Pumpkin Vine Cr., was the site of Brown’s saw-mill, a landmark during military operations May 25 – June 5, 1964. The 23rd Corps, moving from Sligh’s Mill, Burnt Hickory P.O., and Owens’ Mill, occupied lines on this ridge, facing S.E. from May 26 - June 2, in active support of & in line with the 4th, 14th and 20th Corps (Army Of The Cumberland [US]). These troops faced Hood’s, Polk’s and Hardee’s A.C. (Johnston’s Army of Tennessee [CS]). Two of the notable battles . . . — Map (db m20817) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-11 — Confederate Line|
|Here, the intrenched line held by Gen. J. E. Johnston’s forces [CS] during the fighting on the Dallas - New Hope Ch. front, crossed the road; line erected and occupied May 26 and abandoned June 4, 1864. Three of the 10 miles of this line were on the summit of Ellsberry Mountain, NE. In the 10 days of constant fighting between Confederate and Federal forces, no advantage was gained -- a stalemate that was broken by Sherman’s [US] flanking movement around the Confederate right at Old Allatoona Church 11 miles NE in Cobb County. — Map (db m20960) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-26 — Cross Roads Church|
|One tenth mi. W. at the intersection of the old Dallas-Acworth & Burnt Hickory rds. -- a key point of Federal military operations at New Hope Church and Dallas. May 25 - June 5, 1864. Hardee’s & Hood’s A.C. [CS] moved this way, S. - from the Etowah River, to New Hope Church, May 24, 25. June 2: the 23d A.C. [US] marched N.E. from Brown’s Mill to this point -- turning S.E., 1.5 mi. to the Foster house. Ensuing operations outflanked the Confederate forces & caused their retreat toward Kennesaw . . . — Map (db m20831) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-29 — Dallas - New Hope Line|
|Four to six mi. N.E., on State Highway 92 at & near New Hope church, are the battlefield’s of New Hope Church & Pickett’s Mill - two of the notable engagements of the Atlanta Campaign, May 25 & 27, 1864.
From a point 2 mi. S. of Dallas, the embattled Confederate & Federal forces, extending N.E. on a 10 mi. front, maintained daily conflict for 10 days, May 25 - June 4.
This Paulding County phase of the Atlanta Campaign was incident to Sherman’s flanking operations [US] W. & S.W. of . . . — Map (db m20456) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-8 — Davis' Div. at Dallas|
|May 26, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.C. Davis’ (2d) div. 14th A. C. [US], reached Dallas on this rd. from Bishop’s Bridge (Pumpkin Vine Cr.).
These troops left Resaca, Gordon County, May 16, & marched to Rome via a route W. of the Oostanaula River. Leaving Rome, May 24, the command moved by Peek’s Spring (at Aragon), to Van Wert, where a road E. led via Bishop’s Bridge to Dallas.
Entering the town, Davis’ div. marched E. to the New Hope Church Rd. (State Highway 92) & established an . . . — Map (db m20451) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-12 — Federal Line|
|Here, the intrenched line held by Maj. Gen. J. B. McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. [US] crossed the road; erected & occupied May 26 & abandoned June 1, 1864. These troops were the right of Federal forces on the Dallas - New Hope Ch. front which had been halted in a flanking move around the Allatoona Mts. by Gen. J. E. Johnston’s forces, deployed to oppose the federal move back to the State R.R.. From lines 4 mi. E., Hardee’s A.C., of Johnston’s Army [CS], faced McPherson. Repeated attempts by . . . — Map (db m20977) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-1 — Hardee's, Hood's & French's H’dq’rs. — Site of Dr. Augustus Smith house, 1864.|
|May 23: Gen. Wm. J. Hardee’s [CS] headquarters during the march of his Corps from Stegall’s Station (Emerson) to points south.
May 24: Gen. John B. Hood [CS] spent night here enroute with his corps from Etowah River to New Hope Church.
Oct. 5: Gen. S.G. French, [CS] withdrawing from an abortive attempt on the Federal garrison at Allatoona, stopped here enroute to rejoin Hood’s forces at New Hope Church. — Map (db m30256) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-17 — Johnston's Headquarters|
|During the fighting at Dallas, New Hope Church, Pickett’s Mill & elsewhere along the opposing Confederate & Federal lines, General J. E. Johnston [CS] had h'dq'rs at the Wm. Wigley house (which stood near here) May 25 - June 1, 1864.
Posey Wigley (10 yr. old son of Wm. & Fanny), later recalled seeing Gen. Johnston at his widowed mother’s house & removal of family & household goods to a place of safety -- hence, Lt. T. B. Mackall's reference to "Widow Wigley's deserted house" as Johnston’s headquarters (O.R. 38, III, 987). — Map (db m20758) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-10 — Left of the Confederate Line|
|Hardee’s A.C. was on the left of General J.E. Johnston’s line [CS] – Dallas - New Hope front. May 26 - June 4, 1864. Dallas was the southern-most objective of Federal forces in their flanking march around Allatoona.
During the Federal occupation of the Dallas - New Hope line, the Confederate forces maintained parallel lines of defense from Dallas to & beyond New Hope Church, which checked [US] Sherman’s shift back to the State R.R. Daily conflict marked the period which ended when . . . — Map (db m20939) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — New Hope Battlefield|
|Dedicated to the Northern and the Southern men who gave their all for cherished principles; undivided Union and States’ Rights; in the battle fought here in May, 1864. — Map (db m20841) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — New Hope Church Phase of Atlanta Campaign — May 25 - June 4, 1864|
Federal Army strives to break through Confederate position and command roads leading to Atlanta.
Federals execute flank movement around Confederate Army when attack fails, reaching Western & Atlantic Railroad their line of supply and move south toward Kennesaw Mountain
Confederates move parallel to Federal flank movement blocking way to Atlanta and take up position at Kennesaw Mountain.
Federals Engaged 91000 Losses 4900
Confederates Engaged 55000 Losses 3300 . . . — Map (db m87389) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-3 — Old Burnt Hickory P.O.|
|May 24, 1864: The 4th, 20th & a div. of the 14th A.C. - Army of the Cumberland [US], enroute from Stilesboro, camped in this vicinity, & on the 25th, marched to New Hope Church.
The 23rd Corps [US], at Sligh's Mill, 3 mi. N.E., night of the 24th, moved by Burnt Hickory late afternoon of the 25th & followed the 20th A.C. to the battlefield of New Hope Church.
These troops were center & left of Sherman’s flanking march around the Allatoona Mtns. which was checkmated by Johnston’s Confederate Army at New Hope & Dallas. — Map (db m20428) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-5 — Paulding County|
|Created December 3, 1832, and named for John Paulding, one of the captors of Major Andre, accomplice of Benedict Arnold. Van Wert, the first county seat, was named for another of the captors. When Polk County was created in 1851, Dallas became the Paulding county seat. Construction of the Seaboard and Southern Railroads through the county, and introduction of the textile industry, were of much importance to county growth. In 1864 major battles were fought at New Hope and Dallas. — Map (db m21034) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-20 — Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church|
|Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s corps which had moved from Allatoona as left flank of Johnston’s army [CS] -- via Lost Mtn. & Mt. Tabor Ch. -- reached this vicinity May 24, 1864. After return of Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from Powder Springs (May 25), Polk’s troops formed the center of Johnston’s line facing the Federal lines to the West. When deployed, Polk’s left was at Wigley’s Mill in gap of Ellsberry Mtn.; his center & rt. at & above New Hope Ch. -- a position he held in the 10 days of conflict mostly . . . — Map (db m20943) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-18 — Polk’s March to Lost Mountain|
|June 4, 1864. The embattled forces of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army, [CS] having confronted Sherman’s army [US] on the Dallas-New Hope Church front, since May 25, abandoned the position & shifted eastward because of Sherman’s movement back to the State R.R.
Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s corps [CS] held the center of Johnston’s line, at New Hope Church, & in the withdrawal E. from this sector marched by this road toward Lost Mountain, the imposing peak of which is visible from this marker. — Map (db m20772) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-9 — Rt. of Federal Line May 26 -June 1, 1864|
|May 26, Maj. Gen. John A. Logan’s 15th A.C. [US] was posted on the hills N. & W. of this, the salient angle of the intrenched line. The Federals fought defensively during the 6 days of fighting, climaxed by a concerted assault on the salient by Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee’s A.C. [CS], in columns of regiments, along the Villa Rica Rd. -- an attack that extended N. 2 mi. along the 15th & 16th corps fronts -- May 28. McPherson’s forces [US] were shifted N from the Dallas front, June 1, pursuant to . . . — Map (db m20952) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-19 — Site: Robertson House|
|May 24, 25, 1964. Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee [CS] maintained h’dq’rs here during operations of his command in this sector, incident to finding the position of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. (rt. wing. Sherman’s forces [US]).
On the 24th, uncertain of where McPherson would place his troops, Hardee extended Johnston’s [CS] left S. E. to Powder Springs, only to be recalled on the 25th when McPherson’s seizure & occupation of Dallas became known. Cleburne’s div. of the corps [CS], passed the . . . — Map (db m35739) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-2 — Sligh's Mill, Pottery & Tanyard|
|Noted crossroads settlement of the 1860’s.
Schofield's 23rd corps [US], marching from Milam's Bridge (Etowah River) camped here May 24-25, 1864.
This corps was the rear & left guard of Sherman’s flanking march to by-pass the Allatoona Mtns. & it was stationed here 24 hrs. as a pivot, while McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee [US] moved in a left wheel from Van Wert to the Dallas front.
May 25, 5 P.M. The Corps moved to Burnt Hickory P.O. (Huntsville), enroute to New Hope Church. — Map (db m50751) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 10-24 — The Federal Attack on Hood’s Corps|
|May 25, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.W. Geary’s (2d) div. 20th A.C. [US], deployed in dense woods, N.W., advanced toward this ridge at New Hope Ch. -- (5 p.m.) - supported on his right by Williams’ (1st) & on his left by Butterfield's (3d) divs. - the corps front astride this road. Repeated assaults on Hood’s corps [CS], posted on this ridge (Stovall’s brigade on left; Clayton’s, center; Baker’s, right) failed to dislodge it after several hrs. of fighting.
Reinforced 20th corps assaults, May 26, were likewise devoid of results. — Map (db m20800) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-16 — The March of Hardee’s Corps, May 23-25, 1864|
|Lt. Gen. Hardee’s A.C. [CS], having marched from Stegall’s Station (Emerson) near the Etowah River & camped at the Dr. Smith house, May 23rd, passed New Hope Church on the 24th, enroute to the Dallas front.
This moving left flank of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army [CS] sought to checkmate the right of Sherman’s army [US] marching from Kingston in a wide circuit via Van Wert to Dallas. Hood’s corps [CS], following Hardee’s from the Etowah, reached New Hope Church, May 25, in time to intercept . . . — Map (db m20771) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — 110-13 — The Orphan Brigade at Dallas|
|May 28, 1864. On ridge W., were the intrenched lines of the 1st div., 15th A.C. & the 2d div., 16th A.C. [US]; beyond ravine E., the lines of Bates div. of Hardee’s corps [CS].
Late afternoon, Lewis’ Ky. (Orphan) & Finley’s Florida brigades, [CS] made a desperate assault across the ravine & scaled the high ground W. - the Orphans in the advance - their losses, 51 per cent because of failure to receive orders to withdraw.
This futile attempt by the Ky. Orphans is one of the notable . . . — Map (db m20492) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Hiram — 110-22 — George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs.|
|May 25, 1864. Maj. Gen P. R. Cleburne’s div. marched with Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from New Hope Church May 24th, to Power Springs.
These troops, the left flank of Johnson’s Army, marched S.E. to find the position of the Federals known to be near Dallas. Recalled from Powder Springs, the corps counter-marched at 3 a.m., May 25th.
Enroute back toward Dallas, Cleburne’s div detoured N. from the Henry Lester house & camped at Darby’s until dark, when it was ordered to New Hope Ch. where . . . — Map (db m49846) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Hiram — 110-21 — Henry Lester House|
|May 24, 25, 1864. Hardee’s corps, of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army [CS], having marched on the 23rd from Stegall's Station (Emerson), passed this way to Powder Springs, where it camped until 3 a.m. of the 25th, when it counter-marched toward Dallas because of McPherson’s [US] approach to that place.
At this time, Hardee’s troops formed the left flank of Johnston’s army.
Enroute back to Dallas, Cleburne’s div. of the corps detoured N. from here to the George Darby house (near Macland Rd.) . . . — Map (db m20815) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Hiram — 110-23 — Site: Colley House Hood’s H’dq’rs|
|Oct. 3-6, 1864. Lt. Gen. John B. Hood [CS] had h'dq'rs at the Colley house which stood 500 ft. N. of this marker. Hood, enroute with his army to Tennessee, after the fall of Atlanta, marked time in this vicinity while Stewart’s A. C. wrecked the State R. R. between Marietta & the Etowah River -- a noted episode being French’s [CS] attempt to capture the Federal garrison at Allatoona - Oct. 5. Oct. 6, Hood’s forces resumed march to Dallas, Van Wert, Cedartown, Cave Spring, -- to battle and defeat at Nashville. — Map (db m20788) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), Hiram — 110-1 — The Hiram Rosenwald School|
|In 1912 Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck and Company, established the Rosenwald Fund to assist in community school construction of public schools for
African-American students in the South. The Julius Rosenwald Fund assisted local communities who raised additional funds. By the 1930's one in every five rural southern schools for blacks had been constructed with aid from the Rosenwald Fund, a total of nearly five thousand schools throughout the South. The Hiram Rosenwald school . . . — Map (db m13466) HM|
|Georgia (Paulding County), New Hope — The Worst Aircraft Disaster in Georgia History — April 4, 1977|
On April 4, 1977 a DC-9 Southern Airways Flight 242 flying from Huntsville, AL to Atlanta encountered a dangerous thunderstorm over Rome, GA. The hail and rain the aircraft endured was so severe that both engines flamed out and the aircraft quickly lost altitude. The flight crew desperately attempted to land the DC-9 on GA 92 Spur, now known as GA 381 which runs through the community of New Hope.
The result was the worst aircraft disaster in GA history claiming 72 lives . . . — Map (db m62977) HM|