HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Perry County Markers
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — 2-64 — A Seed of Catholic Education in Ohio / The Cradle of Catholicity in Ohio
Side 1 A Seed of Catholic Education in Ohio In April 1830 four Dominican sisters from St. Catherine's, Kentucky, founded St. Mary's Academy, the first Catholic school in Perry County. Bishop Edward Fenwick, first Bishop of Ohio, donated a small brick house and attached building situated on an acre of land for the school's use. Classes began with forty students. The following year the sisters built a three-story structure with a dormitory for boarders; by the end of the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m11996) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — 6-64 — First Lutheran Synod
Lutheran congregations formed in Perry County beginning in the late eighteenth to early nineteenth century. The Mother Synod, the Evangelical Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania, sent missionary pastors to Ohio to preach to the growing number of Lutherans moving into the state. St. Paul congregation was formed in 1812 under the leadership of William Forester. On September 14, 1818, the Joint Synod of Ohio, the first synodical organization of Lutherans west of the Appalachian Mountains and one . . . — Map (db m13094) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — 7-64 — General Philip Henry Sheridan
(Side A): Philip Sheridan was most likely born in County Cavan, Ireland in 1831, but records do not indicate his actual birthplace. His family moved to Somerset when Philip was a child and lived down the avenue from this site. His family later owned the house across the street. His military interest was inspired by "Muster" day and frequent visits from a young West Pointer named William T. Sherman. Sheridan graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1853 and served on the . . . — Map (db m12012) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — The Sheridan Homestead
The present frame dwelling was built by Gen. Sheridan for his parents in 1859. Under the large oak tree near the house, William Henry Harrison, Corwin, Ewing and Hamer addressed political meetings before the Civil War. In the grove in front of the house, called Sheridan's Grove, the "Three Year Men" of the Civil War held their first meeting. — Map (db m13095) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — 1-64 — The Sheridan Monument / 1829 Courthouse
(Side A): The Sheridan Monument The Sheridan monument was erected by and given to the Village of Somerset by the State of Ohio in 1905 to honor the memory of Somerset's General Phillip Henry Sheridan. "Little Phil" was raised in Somerset and graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1852. He rendered valuable service to the Federal Army in the Civil War at Stone's River, Missionary Ridge, Yellow Tavern, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Five Forks, and Appomattox. He later . . . — Map (db m13096) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Thornville — 8-64 — Zion Reformed Church
Zion (Ribel's) Church was built on this site in 1808. The log structure was located in the Zion Ridge Cemetery, adjacent to the first school in Thorn Township. The congregation of Zion Reformed Church is the oldest in Perry County still in existence. The church was officially organized in 1806 when the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations joined together in building the first church in Perry County. They purchased this land on June 30, 1806, and shared the building, alternating Sundays, . . . — Map (db m16260) HM
6 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 102 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.