City of Brundidge and the Bass House
Brundidge was founded in 1851 and incorporated in 1890. Brundidge City Hall has been located in the former Bass House on South Main Street in downtown Brundidge since November 1992. . . . — Map (db m71796) HM
Pike County's oldest church Organized by Dr. C.T. Mahoney Since 1824 it has enriched the life of this section Here were organized: Salem Baptist Association, 1839 Baptist General Assoc., 1868 Ladies Aid Society, 1891 Salem-Troy Baptist Assoc., 1904 . . . — Map (db m36512) HM
A veteran of the War of 1812, Major William Burt Allred and his wife, Jane O. Park Allred, moved from Newton County, GA to Pike County, AL in 1839. Construction began on their new home in 1840 and was completed in 1843. The home is . . . — Map (db m72056) HM
Constituted March 7, 1830 (about two miles NE of this site) with eight charter members including Elijah Wyatt the first pastor. In 1850’s church moved to this location on land given by Deacon James Folmar. Present building erected 1906.
This . . . — Map (db m38946) HM
South Alabama Electric Cooperative’s Goshen Substation provided the first electric energy to rural Pike County. The station was energized at 11:26 A.M. on April 4, 1938. The first 86 miles of electric lines served 170 members.
The cooperative . . . — Map (db m38947) HM
Built ca. 1860 on land owned by Daniel Carlisle, this school educated Pike County youths until consolidation closed its doors in 1935. In 1895 it was conveyed to trustees for the school by Robert Henry Lee Rodgers for a school. Between 1923 and . . . — Map (db m92684) HM
Founded prior to 1850, at the same time as the original church near Fryer's Bridge, which became the village of Linwood in the late 1850s. Original cemetery included the graves of both black and white parishioners of the early church. In the . . . — Map (db m76746) HM
This church was the outgrowth of a meeting held on December 25, 1829 by Rev. M. Snider and John Carnally 7½ mi. S.W. of Troy. Approximately fourteen members and a Rev. Sayles formally organized the church in the Fall of 1830. It was known as . . . — Map (db m39014) HM
Founded 1848 by legislative act and donations of citizens. Excellent instruction made it only school of kind for youth in area. Later used as public school until 1929 school consolidation.
Orion settled about 1815, by 1830 saw arrival of . . . — Map (db m71791) HM
Donated to Troy University by Huo Bao Zhu During the visit of Chancellor Jack Hawkins, Jr. to Xian, China in April 2002.
The gift was made in celebration of the Sino-American 1-2-1 Joint Degree Program and as a lasting symbol of friendship between . . . — Map (db m38930) HM
On May 9, 1921, S.B. Innis, C.L. Jenkins, James Henderson, Pres Thomas and C.B. Brooks, the “colored school committee,” entered into a school mortgage for the construction of a building for “colored school . . . — Map (db m76755) HM
Built in 1929, Bibb Graves Hall opened in September, 1930. It was named for Alabama Governor Bibb Graves (1927-31, 1935-39) who was known as the “education governor.” Bibb Graves Hall served as the original administration building for . . . — Map (db m38940) HM
North Side "Lest We Forget." This shaft is erected to honor and perpetuate the memory and valor of our Confederate Soldiers. West Side "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." South . . . — Map (db m36567) HM
Named for Fletcher Thomas Cowart, a Troy University professor of natural science from 1890 to 1919. Cowart Hall was constructed in 1950. Originally a men’s dormitory, it was later used to house junior and senior women students. The structure was . . . — Map (db m38933) HM
Born in Henderson, Alabama in 1850, Fletcher Jackson Cowart began his working career as a public school teacher. He later served superintendencies for both the Pike County and the Troy City schools. He was editor of the Troy Messenger and a . . . — Map (db m38934) HM
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888. The present edifice, . . . — Map (db m36518) HM
“Tailgating" on the Troy campus was initiated during the 1990’s through the example and leadership of Green Davis. In 1993 the area outside of Memorial Stadium was named in honor of Green Davis for his enduring efforts to boost Trojan . . . — Map (db m38929) HM
Built in 1997, the Hall of Honor is named to honor three key leaders of Troy University: two Chancellors - Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr. and Dr. Ralph W. Adams and the longtime leaders of the “Sound of the South” Marching Band and Director . . . — Map (db m38942) HM
The original structure was named for Charles Roderick McCall, Professor of Languages at Troy Normal School from 1890 to 1898. It was constructed in 1960-1961 to house the various sciences. In 1999, the structure was renovated and enlarged to house . . . — Map (db m38938) HM
Built in 1946 as a men’s dorm. Named for Matthew Downer Pace, who served Troy University from 1891 to 1941 as Professor of Mathematics, Dean and President. The building was made necessary by the heavy influx of male students enrolling immediately . . . — Map (db m38931) HM
Originally constructed as the home field for the university’s football and baseball teams. Pace Field, home of the Troy Trojans and the Troy baseball team in the late 1930s and 1940s, stood at the location of the current Riddle - Pace Field. It is . . . — Map (db m38935) HM
Built during 1929, Shackelford Hall opened to students in September 1930. It was named for the institution’s president Edward Madison Shackelford, who served from 1899 to 1936. Adjoining this building was the original dining facility for the campus. . . . — Map (db m38932) HM
In the early 1800s, south Alabama was still inhabited by many groups of Native Americans: Creek, Chickasaw, and Choctaw among others. They traveled, hunted, traded, and made war on the many ancient trails here. European settlers improved these roads . . . — Map (db m95359) HM
Side A Chiseled in the cornerstone are the words, Franklin MacVeagh, Secretary of the Treasury, James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, MCMX.
This Classical Revival-style Post Office remained in service until 1980. The building . . . — Map (db m38944) HM
Built by U.S. Army, 1824,
from Ft. Barrancas, at Pensacola
to Ft. Bainbridge, S.E. of Tuskegee.
Here it joined Federal Road leading to
Ft. Mitchell in Russell County.
Road followed Indian trade trail
Became main road . . . — Map (db m76745) HM
Troy State Normal School was established by the Alabama General Assembly in 1887. Land and the first building for the original downtown campus and land for the present site were provided by the City of Troy. The College was moved to the present site . . . — Map (db m38937) HM