Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pinellas County Florida Historical Markers

 
Clearwater Post Office Marker image, Click for more information
By AGS Media, July 9, 2011
Clearwater Post Office Marker
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-318 — Clearwater Post Office
On October 9, 1933 Clearwater's first government post office building was dedicated on this site with Postmaster General James A. Farley officiating. The local postmaster at the time was Charles R. Lee. This Mediterranean-Revival style building . . . — Map (db m44616) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — Endangered
Gift of The Class of 1992 & Journalism Students       The artist created "Endangered" from "found objects" of recycled metal, mostly chrome bumpers.       Students are the hope of the future, the environment and its preservation. Paul . . . — Map (db m4983) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — First Public School1854
Near this site was located the first public supported school within the present limits of the City of Clearwater. Known as the Taylor Schoolhouse, erected in 1854. The surnames of the pupils included Taylor, Turner, McMullen, Henderson, Johnson, . . . — Map (db m67061) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-341 — Harbor Oaks Historic District
Harbor Oaks was Clearwater's first planned residential development. Dean Alvord, a major developer in New York state, opened Harbor Oaks in 1914. Bringing modern planning concepts to the Pinellas County area, the development offered innovative . . . — Map (db m50506) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — Magnolia Drive Dock
Originally built circa 1925, the Magnolia Drive Dock was a Harbor Oaks landmark for many years as a neighborhood gathering spot for picnics, weddings, fishing, block parties, and relaxing evenings watching the sunsets. After standing for 68 years it . . . — Map (db m3253) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — The Seminole Bridge
The Seminole Bridge was the original link to Clearwater Beach. Completed in 1917, the wooden bridge opened up access to the beach and paved the way for its first development. The bridge terminated where the Palm Pavilion stands today. It became . . . — Map (db m3252) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — Dr. Willis Stanley Blatchley
Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Willis Stanley Blatchley, 1859-1940. Distinguished naturalist from Indiana, who from his home across the highway devoted twenty-seven winters, between 1913 and 1940, to the highly skillful exploration of the world of . . . — Map (db m4733) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — F-672 — Dunedin Isles Golf Club
At the peak of the 1920s “land boom,” Dunedin Isles Golf Club was built to attract new residents to the City of Dunedin. Scotsman Donald Ross, one of the world’s foremost golf course architects, visited the site and designed the golf . . . — Map (db m67685) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — Oasis Park
This Park contains an original Stage coach road known as Old Road 37 This was once the main road than ran from Clearwater to Tarpon Springs and dates back to the early 1920’s Please come explore the old road — Map (db m70728) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
Dedicated to the recipients of this nation’s oldest military decoration, “The Purple Heart” Military Order of the Purple Heart 1782 • 1932 My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show . . . — Map (db m13956) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — The American's Creed / In Grateful Remembrance
(Front side)The American's Creed I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a . . . — Map (db m50509) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Gulfport — F-511 — Stetson University College of LawFlorida's First Law School
Built as the Hotel Rolyat in 1925, these Mediterranean Revival buildings originally were designed by Paul Reed of the Miami architectural firm of Kiehnel & Elliot for developer Jack Taylor. In 1929, after the collapse of the Florida land boom, the . . . — Map (db m68134) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Pinellas Park — Pioneering Pinellas Park
This area surrounding Pinellas Park's original train station has been a hub of activity since P.J. McDevitt arrived in 1909 to grow sugar cane. In 1912 one of Pinellas Park's pioneers, Walter Bender, built his home in the area now known as Davis . . . — Map (db m68136) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — “The Baranoff Oak”
This tree is reportedly the oldest living Live Oak Tree in Pinellas County and is estimated to be between 300 to 500 years old. This grand oak tree is registered with The Live Oak Society of the Louisiana Garden Club Federation, Inc. — Map (db m3244) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission
   Menendez, Spanish Governor of Florida, after building fort at St. Augustine (1565) came to this site in 1567 and persuaded the Indian Chief Tocobago and his 1500 braves who lived here, to accept Christianity. Menendez erected a blockhouse for a . . . — Map (db m46671) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Espiritu Santo ChurchSite of Early Spanish Missionary Efforts
On Pentecost Sunday, May 26, 1539, Hernando de Soto sailed into Tampa Bay and named it “Bahia Espiritu Santo” (Holy Spirit Bay). A decade later it is believed that the famed Dominican missionary, Father Luis de Cancer, was martyred . . . — Map (db m44277) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — F-381 — Espiritu Santo SpringsWhere Healing Waters Flow
On May 18, 1539, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the shores of what is now Tampa Bay, landing near these mineral springs used by the native population for nearly 10,000 years. Believing he had found the legendary Fountain of Youth somehow . . . — Map (db m44463) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Odet PhilippeBorn Lyon, France, 1787 — Died at this Site 1869
As the first European settler in Pinellas County he established St. Helena Plantation, now Philippe Park Philippe was the first to cultivate grapefruit in Florida and introduced cigar-making to Tampa His descendants populated this frontier. . . . — Map (db m13637) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Philippe Park
On this promontory Count Odet Philippe, a native of Lyon, France, and surgeon in the French Armed Forces under Napoleon Bonaparte settled in 1842, arriving at this point in his sailing vessel "The Ney." In this area he established St. Helena, his . . . — Map (db m13639) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Safety Harbor Site
. . . — Map (db m13646) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Saint Petersburg — Panfilo de NarvaezApril 15, 1528
Here Landed Panfilo de Narvaez April 15, 1528 From the site of this ancient Indian village was launched the first exploration by the white man of the North American Continent. — Map (db m37549) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Saint Petersburg — St. Mary, Our Lady of Grace ChurchEstablished 1908 — Oldest Catholic Church in the City of St. Petersburg
Initially served by the Jesuits from Sacred Heart in Tampa, a small wood-frame chapel named “St. Mary” was built at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Fifth Avenue South in 1908. By 1913, a new and larger brick church was . . . — Map (db m40486) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Saint Petersburg — St. Paul Catholic ChurchEstablished 1925
After purchasing ten acres of scrub pine and swamp in 1922, Bishop Barry of St. Augustine directed the pastor of St. Mary’s in downtown to begin construction of a school building on this not-so-promising site. Construction began in 1925 and Sunday . . . — Map (db m40484) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Pete Beach — PASS~A~GRILLE
For 10,000 years, Indians hunted the prairies and fished the waters of what later became Pass-A-Grille. The last group of Native Americans to settle in the Pinellas County area were the Tocobagas around 1000-1700 A.D. This are was first visited . . . — Map (db m59486) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Pete Beach — F-449 — Zephaniah Phillips' Homestead SiteRancho de Juaquin
In 1783, while updating Gulf Coast navigational charts, Jose Antonio de Evia (b. 1740), a Spanish naval officer, visited a Spanish fishing camp located on this site. He called it “Rancho de Juaquin.” Artifacts from the 18th and early . . . — Map (db m49507) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Bayflite 3 Crew
In memory of our colleagues Bayflite 3 crew Mark Wallace Alicia Betita-Collins Erik Hangartner who lost their lives in service to others April 25, 2000 — Map (db m13648) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Brigadier General Thaddeus Kosciuszko1746 - 1817 — American Revolutionary War Hero Military Engineer Pure Son of Liberty
Of the many distinguished military men who came from abroad to fight for the independence of the American colonies, Kosciuszko was among the very first. In August 1776, only months after the Declaration of Independence has been signed, the . . . — Map (db m75249) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — F-421 — Demens Landing
This city park is located on the site of the first railroad pier in St. Petersburg, built by Peter Demens in 1889. Peter Demens (pronounced de-MANS) was a Russian nobleman, Pyotr Dementyev, who left Russia in 1881, came to Florida, and changed his . . . — Map (db m4666) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — First Settlement and Post Office
One fourth mile east from this point is the site of the first settlement in 1857 and the first Post Office in 1876 of St. Petersburg, then called Pinellas. — Map (db m50455) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Lynching of John Evans
At this intersection November 12, 1914 John Evans a black laborer from Dunnellon FL was lynched condemned by a secret council of fifteen of St. Petersburg's most influential citizens. He was then turned over to a mob of fifteen hundred white . . . — Map (db m64413) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Our Heroes of the World War1917-1918
"God Gave Us Sons: We Gave Them To Country And Our Country Gave Them Back To God." Officers Crenshaw Caswell 1st Lt. F. A. James Abel 2nd Lt. Inf. Enlisted Men Lewis N. Brantley George Donaldson Griffin . . . — Map (db m99442) WM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Peter Demens
In honor of Peter Demens (Dementieff) the founder of St. Petersburg in 1888 Erected by Congress of Russian Americans 1979 — Map (db m4686) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Pinellas County Veterans Memorial
In Memory Of Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice For Their Country In World War II Erected By The Pinellas County Liason Council Auxiliary A.D. 1951 [reverse] Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In World . . . — Map (db m99451) WM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Pioneer Park
"Dedicated to the memory of the pioneers and their families whose vision and leadership helped create St. Petersburg, Florida." — Map (db m4671) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — 01001057 — S. H. Kress and Co. Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Built 1927  ♦  Restored 2000 — Map (db m50566) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — F-422 — Soreno Hotel
In 1923 construction began on Soren Lund's "Million Dollar" Mediterranean Revival hotel. Prominent features were its clay-tiled roof, rough textured stucco, baroque-type arched entrance and sqraffito decorations. It encompassed the north half of the . . . — Map (db m50565) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — F-104 — St. Bartholomew's Church
Oldest church in Pinellas County, it was organized April 20, 1887. It was constructed in the summer of 1887 by a handful of pioneers equipped with crude tools. Built of unturpentined pine, the church records indicate first building cost $673. Dr. . . . — Map (db m50444) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — St. Petersburg Central Yacht BasinHistoric Aerospace Site — The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
On January 1, 1914, the "aeroplane" was demonstrated as a viable means of commercial transportation with the inaugural flight of the St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line, the world's first regularly scheduled commercial airline. Piloted by Tony H. . . . — Map (db m50378) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — Stonewall Jackson Memorial Highway Terminus
This marks the terminal of the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Highway. Erected by Dixie Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy, St. Petersburg, Fla. Jan. 22, 1939. — Map (db m4670) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — The History of Princess Hirrihigua
In 1526 Juan Ortiz, a member of the expedition sent from Cuba to find Panfilo De Narvaez, was captured by Timucan Indians. Chief Hirrihigua, their ruler, hated the white men because of the violence of Narvaez. Juan Ortiz was condemned to death but . . . — Map (db m50463) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — The United States Veterans Memorial
(approach) The United States Veterans Memorial Dedicated to All Veterans • Past • Present • Future 1775 • ---- (North-Center-Upper) Old Glory I am the Star Spangled Banner ..... . . . — Map (db m99441) WM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — The World's First Scheduled Airline
(Front plaque)From this site The St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line The World's First Scheduled Airline Began regular flights between St. Petersburg and Tampa, January 1, 1914. ⋆ This plaque and site dedicated December 4, . . . — Map (db m50437) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — World RecordFor 10 Miles — 45 Minutes 37 Seconds
. . . — Map (db m49432) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — F-274 — World's First Regularly Scheduled Commercial Airline
Within a decade after the famous Wright Brothers' 1903 flight, aviation history was being made in Florida. The first transcontinental flight landed at Jacksonville in 1912, a naval air training center opened at Pensacola in 1913, and the St. . . . — Map (db m50438) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tarpon Springs — Craig Park War Memorial
World War I, World War II, Korean and Vietnam War. (lists of names) Map (db m3288) WM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tarpon Springs — F-474 — Rose Cemetery
Rose Cemetery, also known as Rose Hill Cemetery, established in the early 1900s as a segregated cemetery, is the oldest African-American cemetery in Pinellas County. Located on approximately five acres of land, the cemetery reflects the social . . . — Map (db m53993) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tarpon Springs — F-208 — Tarpon Springs Sponge Industry
Marker Front: The Gulf waters off the west coast of Florida north of Tampa Bay comprise one of the few areas of the world where the species of natural sponges suitable for commercial use are found. The natural sponge industry in Tarpon . . . — Map (db m53982) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — F-90 — Tierra Verde Mound
A large Indian burial mound was built near this spot about 1500 A.D. It was used for some years by the inhabitants of a nearby Safety Harbor culture village, Indians who were among the ancestors of the later Tocobago tribe. Excavation in 1961 by . . . — Map (db m13679) HM

48 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement