HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Putnam County Markers
Tennessee (Putnam County), Baxter — Baxter Seminary
This is the site of the former Baxter Seminary, operated by the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1910-1959. J. Daniel Harris led the drive for the secondary school; its first President was Samuel E. Ryan. Under Harry L. Upperman it attained an enrollment near 400 and a quality academic and vocational curriculum, stressing Christian principles and offering a self-help program for deserving students. — Map (db m12505) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Buffalo Valley — Tennessee Veterans
Dedicated to all Tennessee Veterans living or deceased who have honorably served their country that freedom may reign. — Map (db m24065) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Buffalo Valley — U.S. Senator Albert Gore. SR. Tennessee
In 1956 Senator Albert Gore, Sr. authored legislation to create the largest public works project ever undertaken in the United States, the Interstate Highway System. The legislation was signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on June 29, 1956. All interstate leading into Tennessee are marked as "Albert Gore, Sr. Memorial Highway". Senator Gore's hometown, Carthage, is located 10 miles from here. — Map (db m18195) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Cookeville — Dixie College
This quadrangle was part of the grounds of the University of Dixie, commonly called "Dixie College," chartered 18 Nov. 1909. Jere Whitson and other Cookeville citizens led the drive for the college; Whitson donated twelve acres for the institution. Construction began 16 May 1911. In Sept, 1912, high school and junior college classes began in a building where Derryberry Hall now stands. In 1915 the Dixie Board ceded its property to the State to endow the present University — Map (db m27471) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Cookeville — 2D 46 — Israel Putnam 1718-1790
Putnam County, created in 1842 and re-established in 1854, was named for Major General Israel Putnam, who was commissioned on June 19, 1775 by the Continental Congress. A popular hero of the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Gen. Putnam became famous for saying, " Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes," at the Battle of Bunker Hill. — Map (db m27476) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Cookeville — Putnam County Courthouses
After Putnam County was established in 1854, this site was chosen for its courthouse. Fires destroyed the first building soon after it was erected in 1855, a second during the Civil War, and a third in 1899. Construction of this courthouse, James Yeaman, architect, by Scott-Smoot, contractors, was completed in 1900. It was remodeled in 1962-63 — Map (db m27474) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Cookeville — 2D 40 — Town Spring
On July 2, 1855, Charles Crook sold forty acres of land to the Putnam County Court for $100. An uncovered spring, located approximately fifty feet northwest of the marker, became known as "The Town Spring" and was the determining factor in locating Cookeville as the county seat. This spring served as the source of water for many early residents. — Map (db m62611) HM
7 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 234 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.