“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Radford Virginia Historical Markers

Connelly's Run Marker image, Click for more information
By Mike Waldon, July 26, 2013
Connelly's Run Marker
Virginia, Radford — Connelly's Run
This branch of the New River dividing east and west Radford was named after James Connelly, an early pioneer and surveyor. In 1749, he helped to mark the path that became known as the Wilderness Road, today Rock Road south of the Park. . . . — Map (db m67126) HM
Virginia, Radford — K 70 — Ingles Ferry Road
As the population in the New River valley increased in the 18th century, the western branch of the Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia to the backcountry of the Carolinas and Georgia crossed the region. The branch became known as the Wilderness Road. . . . — Map (db m41421) HM
Virginia, Radford — New River BridgeAttack on the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad
On May 10, 1864, the day after defeating Confederate forces in the bloody battle of Cloyd's Mountain, Union Gen. George Crook's Army of the Kanawha attacked and burned this railroad bridge over the New River. During the Civil War, the railroad was a . . . — Map (db m9514) HM
Virginia, Radford — K 65 — Radford
It originated as a railroad town in 1856 and was known as Central. In 1862-65 this section was in the range of Union raids; Confederates burned the bridge at Ingles Ferry to retard raiders. Incorporated in 1887 as a town, the place was incorporated . . . — Map (db m41420) HM
Virginia, Radford — Starnes
(side a) In 1746 “Frederick Stering (Staring) and two sons” were workers on a road “ordered” from the N. Fork of the Roanoke to the New River. Second son, Frederick Starn, Jr., “entered” 200a “below . . . — Map (db m41419) HM
Virginia, Radford — Wildwood Pool1929-1964
For thirty-six years a swimming pool provided Radford with water recreation at this location in Wildwood Park, to give a place "in which to avoid bad habits." The opening of the pool and a dance on Independence Day in 1929 attracted 10,000 people . . . — Map (db m67123) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K-29 — First Settlement
About five miles southwest is Dunkard Bottom, where Dr. Thomas Walker found a settlement in 1750. The fort there was built about 1756 and was the first fort in Virginia west of New River. The first store and first mill were also there. — Map (db m23909) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — Z 80 — Montgomery County / Pulaski County
(Obverse) Montgomery County Area 401 square miles Formed in 1776 from Fincastle, and named for General Richard Montgomery, killed at Quebec, 1775. The Virginia Polytechnic Institute is in this county. (Reverse) Pulaski . . . — Map (db m41416) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K 45 — Page’s Meeting House
One mile to the north stood this Methodist Chapel, an early one in the New River area. It was built on land given in 1795 by Alexander Page. Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the chapel in 1802 and again in 1806. — Map (db m23906) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K 25 — The New River
Not “new” at all, the New River, the second oldest in the world, is more than 320 million years old. Only the Nile is older. The river received its original English name, Wood's River, perhaps from Colonel Abraham Wood who explored the . . . — Map (db m41417) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement