|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Little Canada — Gervais Grist Mill|
|Just across the road and creek from this marker was the site of the first commercial grist mill built in the region now named Minnesota. Constructed in 1844 – five years before the birth of Minnesota Territory – the water-powered, flour and meal mill was operating when present day Little Canada was an unmapped wilderness on the western frontier of Wisconsin Territory. Its builder was St. Paul's first carpenter, Charles Bazille (1812-78), a Montreal native who was remembered . . . — Map (db m45528) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Minneapolis — Big Water / Stairway of Water|
The Mississippi River, paramount among North American rivers, along with its tributaries, forms the world's fifth largest drainage system in area – 1,244,000 square miles. The Indians called this river "Father of Waters", literally Misi 'big' and Sipi 'water'. The river has three distinct personalities. At its source, Lake Itasca, to the head of navigation here in the Twin Cities, the river is a clear running fresh stream. From the Twin Cities to the mouth of the Missouri . . . — Map (db m50080) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Minneapolis — The Lock and Dam No. 1 Story|
|Navigation on this stretch of the river in its natural state upstream from St. Paul to Minneapolis was hazardous. During high flows, the current was swift, and during low flows, huge boulders made navigation almost impossible. It wasn't until after development of the locks and dams here that transport of flour and grain from Minneapolis to the Gulf of Mexico, and coal and bulk products from downriver to Minneapolis, became possible.
Development began when a group of Minneapolis businessmen . . . — Map (db m50877) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Minneapolis — Wing Dams|
|Those piles of stone and brush in the river, known as wing dams, are both cursed and praised by many a recreation boater. Lurking beneath the water near propeller depth, thousands of these jetties are located along the mainstem of the river. They focus the flow of the water to develop a deeper, narrower main channel to aid commercial navigation.
The wing dams comprised the first large scale efforts to improve navigation on the Upper Mississippi River as early as the 1860's, along with . . . — Map (db m50122) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — De Dakod Makoce Unkitawapi E E — This is our Dakota Land|
|Tatanka Oyate Makoce
Land of the Buffalo People
[river valley map]
The Minnesota and Mississippi River Valleys have been home to the Dakota for hundreds of years, and the existence of our ancestors was sustained by their relationship with the earth and their surroundings. For generations, Dakota families fished from the rivers, gathered rice from area lakes and hunted game on the prairies and in river valley woodlands. Along the riverbanks, leaders of the Eastern . . . — Map (db m46170) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Fountain Cave|
|Fountain Cave, a landmark known as early as 1811, was named for the sparkling creek that flowed from its mouth and continued some 375 feet through a ravine to join the Mississippi River about 140 feet downstream from this marker. The cave attracted such noted explorers as Stephen H. Long in 1817, Henry R. Schoolcraft in 1820, and Joseph N. Nicollet in 1837 - all of whom described it in their journals.
Before the land east of the Mississippi was opened to settlement, Pierre "Pig's Eye" . . . — Map (db m42305) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Hydro Electric Turbine — 1924 – 1994|
|Cast Iron • Rotation Speed 100 RPM
Weight 15 Tons • 4,500 Horsepower
This is one of four turbines Ford Motor Company installed 1924 at the hydro electric plant located below this lookout. The turbines were replaced between 1992 and 1994 after 70 years of service. This one water driven turbine produced over 1,341,776,000 kilowatt hours (KWH) of electricity in its liftime. This offset the burning of 286,000 tons of coal and avoided 470,000 pounds of particulates, . . . — Map (db m46518) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — James J. Hill / The James J. Hill House|
|James J. Hill
"Most men who have really lived here have had, in some shape, their great adventure. This railway is mine," wrote James J. Hill to the Great Northern Railway employees upon his retirement in 1912. Throughout his long working life Hill remained a titanic force in the economic transformation of the Northwest as his railroads encouraged immigrant settlements, agricultural development and commercial expansion.
Hill was born in southern Canada in 1838 and began his career . . . — Map (db m31496) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Lambert's Landing — Port of Saint Paul|
|Since the advent of steamboats in 1812, this landing has served as a tie-up location for countless numbers of commercial river vessels, from paddle-wheelers to tugs. From here, thousands of barges can be seen passing by each year, quietly ferrying tens-of-millions of tons of grain, lumber, rock and other commodities along St. Paul's riverfront to downstream ports of call and markets worldwide.
First named after a series of early local merchants, the site at the foot of the Jackson St. was . . . — Map (db m44376) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Rice Park|
|The scene of circuses, celebrations, and concerts, and seven years older than New York's famous Central Park, this land was designated a "public square" in 1849 by John R. Irvine, a territorial pioneer, and Henry M. Rice, territorial delegate and United States senator after statehood. Rice, for whom the park was named, was a native of Vermont who arrived at Fort Snelling in 1839. In addition to the offices he held, he was active in the fur trade and served as an intermediary in treaty . . . — Map (db m42269) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Summit Lookout Park|
|This park was originally the site of the Carpenter's Hotel, a towering wooden structure of the late 1850s, that sat on the east corner of the triangular lot defined by Summit Avenue, Ramsey Hill and the river bluff. The Victorian building featured a two story basement with windows cut into the stone retaining wall along Ramsey Hill. Projecting three stories above grade, the hotel was crowned with an open observation deck. It is believed that the hotel burned, and by the mid-1880s the Summit . . . — Map (db m41942) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Summit–Selby Neighborhood|
|This area has long been a meeting place of people and ideas. In the 1850s two major overland routes converged just a few blocks from here. By the 1880s the district was a bustling residential area for both the wealthy and the immigrant. Today the neighborhood is a mix of Victorian mansions and modest dwellings, shops, schools, and places of worship -- where people of many cultural and ethnic backgrounds dwell together. Famous names associated with the Historic Hill District include writers F. . . . — Map (db m35598) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — The James J. Hill Reference Library — James J. Hill · (1838-1916)|
|The Hill Reference Library opened in 1921 as a living gift to the people of Saint Paul from railroad pioneer James J. Hill. By building the Great Northern Railway's transcontinental line to Seattle in 1893, Hill played a central role in the settling of towns and cities, the expansion of agriculture, the growth of industry, and the development of international trade.
Architect Electus D. Litchfield designed the pink Tennessee marble building to house both Hill's Library and the public . . . — Map (db m42267) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — The New York Life Eagle|
|In 1890, architect Stanford White gave the commission for The New York Life Eagle to Augustus Saint-Gaudens on behalf of The New York Life Insurance Company. Augustus sketched its conceptual form and the sculpture was carved in marble by his brother Louis St. Gaudens to be cast in an edition of three for New York Life's frontier expansion buildings in Kansas City, Omaha, and Saint Paul.
In the heart of downtown Saint Paul, the beautiful building's three-story main entrance was capped by . . . — Map (db m41946) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — The Saint Paul Public Library|
|On September 7, 1882, the Saint Paul Common Council passed a resolution "to establish and maintain a free public library and reading room." As a result, Saint Paul's first public library opened on the second floor of Ingersoll Hall, Kellogg Boulevard near the Wabasha Bridge. Helen McCaine was the City's first librarian. Construction of Central Library at 90 West Fourth Street began in 1914. The building officially opened to the public in 1917. Electus Litchfield of New York was the . . . — Map (db m42268) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), St. Paul — F. Scott Fitzgerald House|
|has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historical Sites Act of August 21st 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of United States.
U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service
1971 — Map (db m7144) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), St. Paul — St. Paul Civil War Memorial|
|To perpetuate the memory of the Union Soldiers and Sailors of the War of 1861 — 1865 · Their patriotism inspired unquestioning devotion · Their valor was attested on hard-won battlefields · Their suffering and sacrifice exalted the glorious cause and ennobled the splendid triumph.
The victories they helped achieve preserved the Union of the States · Abolished slavery · Established the National Prestige · Opened new avenues for the development of man and the advancement of . . . — Map (db m32893) HM|
|Minnesota (Ramsey County), St. Paul — The Hamline Plaza — Bishop Leonidas L. Hamline — 1797 - 1865|
Bishop of the Methodist Church in Ohio who donated a substantial portion of his estate in 1854 for the establishment of Hamline University with the following prayer: O Lord, render me cheerful in giving, happy in the hopes of doing good, and sanctify the offering.
Dedicated October 13, 1995, to all who have provided to
Hamline University the means and facilities of education.
This Sculpture is a gift from
Annette Strand Scherer Robbins '36
Sculptor: Professor Michael . . . — Map (db m65933) HM|