|HMdb.org ||THE HISTORICAL|
MARKER DATABASE “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Add A Marker
Links & Books
Word or Phrase
|Randolph County Markers
|Alabama (Randolph County), Roanoke — Lebanon Christian Church|
|Founded March 31, 1864 by evangelist Moses Park. William Terry Kirby, Sr. and Nancy T. Greer Kirby donated four acres of land adjacent to their home for the church site. Services were first conducted at a brush arbor on the property, which later became Lebanon Cemetery. The present building, constructed in 1887, has been in continous use and remains virtually unaltered.
Moses Park Sarah E. Adcock Eliza E. Taylor
Martha Park David Little Sarah E. Taylor
. . . — Map (db m11732) HM|
|Alabama (Randolph County), Roanoke — Roanoke Doll Factory 1900-1925|
|Ella Gannt Smith, artist, inventor, manufactured in this building the famous Roanoke Dolls. The dolls, completely handmade, featured a head molded of plaster of Paris enclosed in a tight cotton fabric cut and stuffed to resemble body, hands and legs. Facial features of each doll were hand-painted, no two being alike. At her death, April 2, 1932, Mrs. Smith held eleven patents. The factory, built by her husband, S. S. Smith, was later converted into an apartment house. — Map (db m11730) HM|
|Alabama (Randolph County), Wadley — Louina|
|One mile north, on the east bank of the Tallapoosa River, was located Louina, named for an Indian woman who operated a trading post. Settled in 1834, it became chief business center in Randolph County with the countys first newspaper, schools for boys and girls, Baptist and Methodist Churches, Masonic Lodge, grist mill, wool factory and cotton gin. Company of Confederate soldiers organized here August 1, 1861. Last store closed 1902 and post office moved eastward to Concord and named Viola. . . . — Map (db m92503) HM|
|Alabama (Randolph County), Wedowee — Site of the Home of William Hugh Smith Legislator, Governor|
|An opponent of secession, he fled north in 1862. Returning after the Civil War, he was elected first governor under the Constitution of 1868 and served one two-year term. He was one of three Republican governors. — Map (db m19015) HM|
2006–2016, Some rights reserved.
— About Us
— Contact Us
in 352 ms.