HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Randolph County Markers
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — 1841 County Jail
The contract for this building was signed in 1841, but it was not completed until 1845. The accommodations for the jailer's family were in the front portion of the building with a hallway separating them from the cells. In the the rear of the downstairs were two cells constructed of large smooth cut ashlar stone. Originally, the windows had bars to keep the prisoners from escaping. Upstairs was one cell without bars on the windows for female prisoners and another cell with an iron cage, about . . . — Map (db m24769) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Adam Crawford House
Built around 1792, this is one of the oldest standing houses in Beverly. It was altered to its present form circa 1835 and purchased by Adam Crawford in 1846. Union officers occupied the house after the Battle of Rich Mountain. According to tradition, the telegraph wires brought by General McClellan's advancing army were strung to the tree on the left side of the house, and the telegraph office was established in the upper left hand bedroom. It is possible that General McClellan's famous . . . — Map (db m24682) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Battle of Rich MountainRich Mountain Battlefield
The battle was fought in this pass along the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike. Union forces led by General William S. Rosecrans stormed down the hill behind you. Confederates on guard here took cover behind log breastworks, farm buildings and large rocks in the stable yard across the road. Federal soldiers were held back by fire from infantry and single cannon. After three hours of fighting, the larger Federal force charged and captured the cannon, scattering Confederate defenders through the woods. — Map (db m23539) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — BeverlyCrossroads of Conflict — The First Campaign
Situated at a crossroads on the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, Beverly was a strategic location and proved to be a focal point during the Civil War. There were no large plantations here and political opinions were split, yet the majority of Beverly's citizens favored the South. From the beginning of the Civil War, Beverly was a staging area for local militia and troops send from eastern Virginia to serve the Confederacy. Following Federal success at Rich Mountain, Gen. George McClellan led . . . — Map (db m24559) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — BeverlyOriginal County Seat
Nearly two decades after the ill-fated attempt of the Foyles (Files) and Taggert (Tygart) families to pioneer the area in 1754, the Tygarts Valley was finally settled by a group of families in 1772. One of this group, Jacob Westfall Sr., built a fort near the Files home site where Files Creek empties into the Tygarts Valley River. Several log homes built by these early pioneers still survive within existing buildings in the area. When Randolph County was established in 1787, plans were made . . . — Map (db m24561) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Beverly
Settled about 1753 by Robert Files and David Tygart. Files' family was massacred near by. Site of Westfall's Fort, 1774. In Mt. Iser Cemetery are the Union trenches and graves of Confederate soldiers killed in Battle of Rich Mountain. — Map (db m24579) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Beverly Bank
The Beverly Bank was founded in 1900 by Dr. Humboldt Yokum who served as the Bank president. Yokum was a prominent doctor and community leader. S.L. Baker was a director, and served two terms in the State Senate. Both men served as mediators to help solve the county seat controversy between Beverly and Elkins. For many years the Beverly Bank was the only bank in the community. It closed during the Banking Holiday of March 1933. This building was built soon after the Bank was founded, attached . . . — Map (db m24622) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — RH2 — Beverly Covered Bridge
Site of old covered bridge on Staunton & Parkersburg Turnpike built in 1847 by Lemuel Chenoweth (1811-87). Burned during Civil War, he rebuilt it in 1873. Dismantled by state in 1951. Chenoweth's home, built in 1847, is southeast of old bridge site. — Map (db m23349) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Beverly Methodist Church
The Methodist Church had its roots in Beverly from the time of its settlement. Services were first held in the private homes and lawns of congregation members. The first "church" was the log home of Dr. Benjamin Dolbeare, the first physician in Randolph County. His brother-in-law, Lorenzo Dow, was a noted Methodist missionary who often preached in Beverly. It is said that he preached on a log during his earlier visits to Beverly. The first Methodist Church was built of logs and was located on . . . — Map (db m24753) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Beverly Public Square
This lot, originally part of the James Westfall plantation, was used as a public playground prior to the chartering of Beverly in 1790. In 1813, country plans were to use this lot as the site for the new jail. Adam Myers, owner of the Valley House Hotel, situated on the back part of the lot, objected. Mr. Myers then sold the lot adjoining the square's northern boundary to the county for the new jail, with the stipulation that the Square in front of his hotel remain for public use and never be . . . — Map (db m24584) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Birkett-Cresap
In the 1830s Isaac Baker, Sr. bought a two-story log house on this site from the heirs of Daniel Capito. The Bakers lived here and operated a hotel called the Rising Sun. In 1843, Baker lost the property because of debts, and the house and lot were sold "at the front door of the Randolph County Court House." In 1853, Reverend John Birkett bought the house from his father-in-law George Buckey. He and his wife Rebecca lived here and operated a store in one end. During the Civil War, the Birketts . . . — Map (db m24788) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Blackman-Bosworth Store
The Blackman-Bosworth Store building was built 1827-28 by David Blackman on lot #14. It originally stood next to the James Westfall log house that had been used as an early courthouse. Slaves built the store building, supervised by bricklayer J.W. Bradley who had a brick yard along the river. Mr. Blackman had a mercantile store here until the Civil War. The store was later operated by McClaskey and Hanshaw. The store has a vault in the cellar, reached by a trapdoor, which was used to store . . . — Map (db m24548) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Blackman-Strader
Judson Blackman, son of businessman David Blackman who owned the store across the street, started construction on this brick home in 1861, but it was not completed until after the Civil War. The brick for the house was made on family-owned property at Huttonsville, WV (now the prison property), and the wood used was cut and milled on the same property. Lorenzo Dow Strader bought the house from his father-in-law shortly after marrying the youngest Blackman daughter, Mariah. Later they added on . . . — Map (db m24547) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Bushrod Crawford Building
This house, located on a part of original town lot #4, was built about 1850. It was the home of Bushrod Crawford who also operated a store in the building with his brother Absalom. Brushrod Crawford ran against John Hughes in February of 1861 for Delegate to the State Convention to be held in Richmond, Va. Bushrod favored secession; Hughes did not. Hughes was elected, but changed his mind at the convention and voted for secession. Bushrod, Absalom, and their families fled south in July of 1861, . . . — Map (db m24673) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Crozet - Chenoweth / Rich Mountain
Crozet - Chenoweth Memorial road to Col. Claudius Crozet, leader in building the Northwestern and the Staunton and Parkersburg turnpikes. Here was the home of Lemuel Chenoweth, who designed and built many wooden bridges in W. Va. which became famous. Rich Mountain At Rich Mountain, 5 miles west, July 11, 1861, Federal forces defeated Confederate troops whose trenches may still be seen. Military reputations of Gen. Geo. B. McClellan and of Gen. W.S. Rosecrans were established by this . . . — Map (db m23345) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — David Goff House
Edward Hart, son of John Hart who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, purchased the house standing here in 1795. Col. David Goff, a prominent Beverly lawyer, purchased it in 1830, and added the larger front portion of the house, possibly with Lemuel Chenoweth as the builder. A colonel in the Virginia militia, Goff was an active supporter of the Confederacy and was instrumental in organizing the Confederate build-up in Beverly during the earliest days of the war. On the day of the . . . — Map (db m24518) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Edward Hart House
This house contains the foundation, chimney, and logs from an earlier log cabin built on this site by Beverly pioneer Edward Hart. A son of John Hart, a signer of the Declaration of the Independence from New Jersey, Edward relocated here in 1788 following service in the Revolutionary War. A man of many talents, he built the original log courthouse and jail and operated an ordinary, a cooper's shop, a carpenter's shop and a tannery. In 1855 Edwin D. Chenoweth built this existing house around . . . — Map (db m24790) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — General William S. RosecransRich Mountain Battlefield
General Rosecrans led a brigade of nearly 2,000 Union soldiers through dense wilderness to the summit of Rich Mountain. His guide was young David Hart, son of a family living here at the pass. Leaving camp on Roaring Creek before dawn, Rosecrans' column climbed silently up the mountainside to flank Camp Garnett and strike the enemy rear. The battle began about 2:30 p.m. on July 11, 1861, when advancing Union troops encountered Confederate skirmishers. "The whole earth seemed to shake." David Hart, Rich Mountain guide — Map (db m23576) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Gum Hart / Collett House
This may be the oldest existing structure in Beverly. Local tradition says James Westfall built the first floor of the north section of this home as a log fort in 1772-74. Deed records are confused, but the log section of the house certainly predates the town. By 1840 this house was owned by Montgomery Hart who had a saddle shop down the street. In 1860, "Gum" Hart traded his house to Marteny Buckey in exchange for the Buckey Hotel up the street. During the Civil War this house was used as a . . . — Map (db m24734) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Hill Building
This circuit clerk's office was in a wing added to the east side of the Courthouse in 1838. In 1907, Aries Hill built this store between Courthouse and the Bushrod Crawford House where the circuit clerk's office had been. The door on the left leads to a staircase that serves both Hill and Crawford buildings. For about thirty years, Hill operated a general store downstairs while residing upstairs. Later there was a pool hall and tavern here. Subsequent owners have operated a variety of . . . — Map (db m24672) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Humboldt Yokum House
This house was built in 1890 by Dr. Humboldt Yokum. The son of Dr. George Yokum, he grew up in the house next door. Humboldt acted as peace emissary during the controversy over moving the county seat. He rode into Elkins to head off the faction of Elkins men determined to take the courthouse records by force, relaying the message that a well-armed reception awaited them in Beverly. As a result, the meeting signal was not blown, thus avoiding an armed confrontation. He then served on the . . . — Map (db m24789) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Isaac Baker House
John Earle owned the original log home situated on this property. He operated a mill on Files Creek, possibly built by Jacob Westfall near the original Westfall fort. In 1879, Earle sold this property, as well as the larger adjoining property with mill, to Isaac, Jr., Eli, and Daniel Baker, the sons of Isaac Baker, Sr. The mill was at times both a grist mill and a sawmill. The mill burned in 1925. Isaac Baker, Jr. built the present house around 1900 after the log house burned. He was a miller . . . — Map (db m24787) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Jonathan Arnold House
Laura Jackson Arnold, sister of Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, lived here at the time of the Civil War with her husband Jonathan and three children, Thomas, Anna, and Stark. Jonathan, a wealthy landowner, purchased this ca 1820 brick house in 1845. During the Civil War, Jonathan sided with the Confederacy while Laura, in spite of her brother's stand, remained a Union supporter. Union soldiers were boarded here, as in many other Beverly homes, during the war. Laura became known for her devoted . . . — Map (db m23359) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Lemuel Chenoweth
Local carpenter, legislator, office-holder, self-educated architect and the state's most famous builder and designer of covered bridges, Lemuel Chenoweth lived in Randolph County his entire life, 1811-1887. Bridges at Barrackville and Philippi are two major examples of his work. Several homes and Huttonsville Presbyterian Church are among his other credits. He is buried in Beverly Cemetery. — Map (db m23342) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Lemuel Chenoweth House
This last home of Lemuel Chenowith (1811-1887) was built in 1856. The unique construction features in the hosue demonstrate his skills as an architect, carpenter, and bridgebuilder. Lemuel and his brother Eli built a number of covered bridges on five Virginia turnpikes before the war, setting the standard for bridge construction. Their first bridge was built here in 1846 just behind where he later built his house. The covered bridge at Philippi, now restored to its original appearance, is the . . . — Map (db m24481) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Occupied BeverlyCaught in the Midst of Conflict
Life in Beverly changed following the Union victory at Rich Mountain on July 11, 1861. Many of the community’s outspoken Southern sympathizers fled south. Some of those who remained resented the hardship that came with Union occupation, although Laura Ann Jackson Arnold, Stonewall Jackson’s sister, gladly cared for wounded Federal solders under her roof. Travel was restricted, many townspeople were compelled to board soldiers, and some had their property taken or destroyed by the army. . . . — Map (db m58693) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Peter Buckey House
This building was reputedly built by a Mr. Phillips, and was purchased in 1791 by Peter Buckey. He operated a hotel and a tavern here before moving up the street to open the Buckey House hotel. Peter also ran a tannery on the land just north of the hotel, which used water from a small stream (now hidden by the roadway). George Buckey bought this hotel and tannery in 1823 and managed both through the Civil War. After the war, the building was enlarged and continued to be a hotel until well . . . — Map (db m24696) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Presbyterian Church
The Beverly Presbyterian Church came into existence as part of the United Congregations of Tygat Valley in 1788 and was formally organized on March 1, 1820 under Reverend Aretas Loomis. Services were held in the 1808 courthouse until the first church building was constructed in 1852-53. Union soldiers destroyed this building during the Civil War. Between 1869 and 1873, the church was rebuilt on the same site with that structure now forming the main sanctuary of the present church. During . . . — Map (db m24735) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Randolph Co Jail - 1813
The first county jail was a log structure on the west side of Jacob (now Main) Street. It was completed by Edward Hart in April 1790. The second jail was this 1813 brick building, across from the log one, on the lot purchased by the county commissioners when the public square was set aside. William Marteny and William Steers built this jail for $250, building it with thick walls and foundations four feet underground. The two first floor cells were for regular prisoners, and the two second floor . . . — Map (db m24571) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Randolph Co. Courthouse
In June 1808, a committee was appointed to contract the building of a brick courthouse to replace the original log structure on Court Street. This building cost approximately $1200, including $35 for hinges and other ironwork paid to Solomon Collett. The courthouse was completed in 1815, and the wing on the south, which contained the county clerk's office, was completed in 1838. A separate addition on the east side housed the circuit clerk's office. In 1894, with the new town of Elkins . . . — Map (db m24643) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Randolph County JailConfining the "Bogus State Sheriff" — Jones-Imboden Raid
(Preface):On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia against the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that they marched 1,100 miles, fought several engagements, captured 100 Federals, seized about 1,200 horses and 4,000 cattle, and burned 4 turnpike bridges, more than 20 railroad bridges, 2 trains, and 150,000 barrels of oil. Most . . . — Map (db m58694) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Rich MountainRich Mountain Battlefield Civil War Site
On July 11, 1861, a Federal flank attack surprised Confederates guarding this pass The battle of Rich Mountain took place here where the Staunton-Parkersburg turnpike crossed the crest of the mountain. About 2:30 pm, the Union forces began their attack down the hill on your right. The 310 Confederate troops on guard here with their one cannon took cover behind hastily erected log breastworks, farm buildings, and the rocks in the stable yard across the road. After over two hours of . . . — Map (db m23592) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Rich Mountain / Hart House
(East Side): Battle of Rich Mountain fought here July 11, 1861. In a surprise attack, Gen. W.S. Rosecrans defeated Confederates led by Capt. J.A. deLagnel. Battle was decisive in McClellan's N.W. Virginia campaign. (West Side): Rich Mountain battle was waged near Hart House and barn where deLangel's 310 men held Rosecrans' forces for 4 hours before surrendering. This forced Col. Pegram to retreat. His army was captured. — Map (db m23585) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Robert Foyles & Family
This Stone Commemorates: Robert Foyles & Family, killed by indians 1753, half mi. s. settlement of David Tygart, 2 mi. s. near bridge. First English settlers west of Alleghenies. Westfalls Fort, built 1774, half mi. s. Battle of Rich Mountain, 5 mi. w. July 11, 1861. Gen. Geo. B. McClellan commanding Federals. Maj. John Pegram, Confederates, lasted 3 1/2 hrs., between Gen. Rosencrans with four regiments assisted by Col. Lauder, and Capt. J.A. DeLaguel with 310 soldiers. . . . — Map (db m24577) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Rowan House
In 1811, John Goff sold this property with its one-story log house to Archibald Earle. William and Anna Rowan bought the property from Franklin Leonard in 1838. Rowan served as constable and deputy sheriff for over thirty years. He also operated a hat factory in Beverly. William's son Adam and his wife Phoebe Caplinger also lived in the home but took their family south during the Civil War. Upon their return, he was a merchant and a Justice of the Peace. After the Civil War, a two-story . . . — Map (db m24515) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — The First CampaignCivil War Begins in the Mountains of (West) Virginia — The First Campaign
West Virginia, born of a nation divided, was the setting for the first campaign of America's Civil War. Although still part of Virginia in 1861, many citizens of the west remained loyal to the Union, rather than the Confederacy. By late May, Union General George B. McClellan, commanding the Department of the Ohio, launched the first campaign, ordering troops to cross the Ohio River and secure "Western" Virginia for the Union. Here, during June-July 1861, McClellan's army won the inaugural . . . — Map (db m24550) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — The Hart HouseRich Mountain Battlefield
Here stood the Hart House, surrounded by fierce fighting during the Battle of Rich Mountain. Joseph Hart, grandson of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was an avid Union supporter who fled with his family when Confederates seized the mountain. Their two-story log home gave shelter during the battle and served as a hospital afterwards. "The surgeons were amputating and dressing wounds... there are a great many limbs being taken off the wounded soldiers." Union soldier at Hart House. — Map (db m23584) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — The Stable YardRich Mountain Battlefield
Here in the stable yard, Confederate forces made their stand. A small log stable was the focal point of action. Large foundation stones still mark its location. A lone Confederate cannon stood beside the stable, blasting furiously during the battle. Young Southerners faced their first fire against overwhelming odds, yet drove back two Federal assaults before giving way. "As regiment after regiment of the enemy came into view, our small force saw it had heavy work..." Confederate Captain David Curry — Map (db m23590) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Astride the Road from Nowhere
"Our tents were pitched on a rocky point with a fine forest on every side and a magnificent view of the Alleghenies on front of us, a beautiful romantic, though desolate spot." - William Houghton, 14th Indiana Infantry, July 16, 186 Indiana Historical Society The primeval wilds of Cheat Mountain greeted Union soldiers. The land was dominated by tall red spruce and impenetrable rhododendron thickets. Federal troops built the fort on the appropriated farm of Southern . . . — Map (db m58245) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Behind the Parapet
Union soldiers built the main earthworks here to provide defense. They made the embankment by forming a crib with spruce logs. The crib was then filled with earth and stone. Such a fortification would provide protection from rifle and artillery fire. The original wall was reported to be more than ten feet high and eight feet thick at its base. — Map (db m58241) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Cabin Remains
This area is where troops were quartered. Most cabins within the earthworks were lumber structures with bark roofs. These measured roughly 40 feet by 20 feet and were extremely crowed at times. The circular mounds usually represent collapsed chimneys. Under certain ground conditions it is possible to view the outline of the cabin, represented by a subtle embankment. Many of the mounds were vandalized before Cheat Summit Fort entered into public ownership. — Map (db m58249) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Cheat Summit Camp
Also called Fort Milroy. Fortified camp in gap at the crest of White Top of Cheat Mountain. Occupied by Federal troops during fall and winter of 1861-1862; repulsed threats in Lee's mountain campaign of 1861. Fort's command of the Parkersburg-Staunton Turnpike prevented Lee's army from advancing inland. Above 4,000 feet elevation, highest Union fort in the Civil War. — Map (db m46328) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Cheat Summit Fort1861-1862
Cheat Summit Fort, also called “Fort Milroy,” was constructed by Federal troops in the summer of 1861. The fort was positioned to control the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike. Initial work was conducted by six companies of the 14th Indiana Infantry Regiment under Colonel Nathan Kimball. At 4,000 feet, it is the highest known Union fortification in the east. Attack on Cheat Mountain In September of 1861 of General Robert E. Lee directed the Confederate Army of the . . . — Map (db m58239) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Guarding the Turnpike
Federal forces built Cheat Summit Fort to control the strategic Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, the road below you. It ran from Virginia to Parkersburg, (West) Virginia. When finished, the turnpike opened the first continuous route between Richmond and the Ohio River. The road was originally chartered in 1817, but would not be completed until 1847. Today U.S. 250 and WV Route 47 roughy follow its path. Further east along the turnpike, Confederates constructed Camps Bartow and Allegheny. . . . — Map (db m58243) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Shavers Fork
Mountaintop Watershed Near this point the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike crossed the Shavers Fork of the Cheat River, going over Cheat Mountain at a high point of almost 4000 feet at White Top. The Shavers Fork forms a high elevation watershed on top of Cheat Mountain, making it the highest large stream in the East. The high elevation, cool temperatures and heavy precipitation create a climate in this watershed supporting a red spruce dominated ecosystem more akin to forests of Canada . . . — Map (db m58251) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Coalton — Jimtown
Jimtown Formerly known as Fair Hope for one-room school located at the junction of Findley and Yeager Roads circa 1898 to 1953. Later named for James J. "Squire Jim" Phillips (1855-1937), a former Justice of the Peace. During the Civil War, his mother Margaret Scott Phillips served Southern troops as a courier and a guide while living on this farm. — Map (db m61075) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Coalton — Phillips Cemetery
Phillips Cemetery Established as a burial ground for the poor and named for Moses J. Phillips, who was Overseer of the Poor from 1872 to 1877. The oldest known grave is for War of 1812 veteran Dudley A. Gibson. Union and Confederate veterans are buried there. Cemetery lies 750 feet to the west. Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike National Scenic Byway passes via WV 151. — Map (db m61077) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Dailey — U.S. Homestead
A federal New Deal project to move families back to the land during the Great Depression. Homes had water, electricity, barn, chicken coop, cellar and garden. Community had school, store, gas station, workshops, lumber mill, and quarry. U.S. government built 198 homes at Valley Bend and Dailey. Sold to private owners in 1946-47. — Map (db m34427) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — “Lest We Forget That Peace Has a Price” — Marines Lebanon 1983 Monument
In memorial to our Marines of the Multi-National Peacekeeping Force, Lebanon – 1983. West Virginia — Semper Fidelis Cpl. Mecot Camara, Hinton • Lcpl. Russell Cyzick, Star City • HM2 Marion E. Kees, Martinsburg • Lcpl. David Cosner, Elkins • Cpl. Timothy Dunnigan, Princeton. — Map (db m9363) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — Elkins
Named for Senator Stephen B. Elkins. Home of Senator Henry G. Davis. Headquarters for the Monongahela National Forest. Near site of Friend’s Fort, built 1772. Old Seneca Indian Trail crosses the campus of Davis and Elkins College. — Map (db m9360) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — Henry Gassaway Davis
Born November 16, 1823, Died March 11, 1916. Benefactor • Philanthropist • Railway Builder. Worked as if he were to live forever. Lives as if he were to die to-morrow. — Map (db m9371) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — Kump House / Herman Guy Kump
Kump House Home of Gov. Herman Guy Kump. Built 1924-25, on site of Civil War-era Goddin Tavern. Designed by Clarence Harding of Washington, DC. Eleanor Roosevelt and other notables were guests during 1930s and '40s. Named to National Register in 1983. Herman Guy Kump Born in Hampshire Co., 1877; died 1962, in Elkins. As 19th Governor of WV, he led state out of Depression. State Road, Parks & Forest, County Unit School systems, and Dept. of Public Assistance all date from his . . . — Map (db m23300) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — Randolph County Veterans Memorial
World War IHonoring those who died in World War I we remember the day, in human history, when the United States with compassion and dedication spent her blood and her might for the principles that gave her birth. God helping her, she could do no other, and our great land had a rebirth of freedom. World War IIO God, we trust in thee: Let us not be ashamed in this solemn hour of human history. Increase our abiding faith in the deep and holy foundations which our forefathers laid. May we . . . — Map (db m33562) WM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — Stephen Benton Elkins / Halliehurst
Stephen Benton Elkins. Businessman, politician, co-founder City of Elkins. Born in Ohio, 1841; died in Washington, DC, 1911. Secretary of War, 1891–1893; U.S. Senator from WV, 1895–1911. National figure in Republican Party for more than 30 years. Halliehurst. Summer home of Sen. Stephen B. Elkins. Named for his wife, Hallie Davis Elkins. Built 1889–1891, at cost of $300,000. Largest shingle-style home in WV. Deeded to Davis & Elkins College, 1923. National Historic Landmark, 1988. — Map (db m14433) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — War in West Virginia"That Remarkable Campaign" — The First Campaign
You are standing at the heart of the first campaign of America's Civil War, looking west toward Rich Mountain. Late in May 1861, Gen. George B. McClellan moved troops across the Ohio River "to secure Western Virginia for the Union" and to protect the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The Confederates wanted to secure the Staunton and Parkersburg Turnpike, a vital road from the Shenandoah Valley to the Ohio River. The turnpike crossed Rich Mountain through the notch to the left of the radio towers. . . . — Map (db m23238) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Harman — Big Lime and Big Injun
The Greenbrier Limestone in the quarry represents the “Big Lime and Big Injun Sand” of the driller. Fish-egg like (oölitic) zones in the “Big Lime” and the basal sandy formation, the “Big Injun,” produce oil and natural gas in West Virginia. — Map (db m9355) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Harman — Pendleton County / Randolph County
Pendleton County. Formed in 1788 from Hardy, Augusta, Rockingham. Named for Edmund Pendleton, Virginia statesman-jurist. This county has a range of altitude of over 3500 feet. Here are Seneca Rocks, Smoke Hole, and Spruce Knob. Randolph County. Formed, 1787, from Harrison. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygart’s Valley in the Civil War largely determined control of West Virginia. — Map (db m9290) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Harman — Tory Camps / Seneca Trail
Tory Camps Near Harman can still be seen remains of two Tory camps where some British sympathizers hid during the American Revolution. They encamped here, 1775-1776, to escape laws enacted against them by Virginia. Seneca Trail The Seneca Trail passed near here from the Tygart Valley to the South Branch Valley. Thousands of horses and cattle captured by Generals Imboden and Jones in 1863 crossed the mountains by this trail. — Map (db m41477) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — Army Headquarters 1861 / Huttonsville
(Obverse) Army Headquarters 1861 This village was held by Colonel George Porterfield until he was relieved of command by General Robert Garnett, (C.S.A.). In 1861, it became the headquarters of Generals George McClellan and J. J. Reynolds of the Union Army. (Reverse) Huttonsville Named for Jonathan Hutton, its first postmaster, in 1813. Students from the local academy joined the Confederate Army, 1861. The first military telegraph to advance with an army . . . — Map (db m34369) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — Camp ElkwaterGateway to the Tygart Valley — The First Campaign
Following success at Rich Mountain in July 1861, Federal troops under Gen Joseph Reynolds built Camp Elkwater to deter Confederates from returning. Fortifications here blocked the narrow valley floor and a turnpike leading to the Virginia Central Railroad. Erected in tandem with a fortress on Cheat Mountain, Camp Elkwater was the key to defense of the Tygart Valley. Nearly 3,000 Federal troops were present when Confederates under Gen. Robert E. Lee threatened on September 12, 1861. A . . . — Map (db m34367) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — Elkwater / Col. J. A. Washington
(Obverse) Elkwater Trenches made by Federal troops under Gen. Reynolds, 1861. Nearby were the two Haddan Indian forts, scene of the Stewart and Kinnan massacres. Important features of 4-H Club work among rural youth started here in 1915. (Reverse) Col. J. A. Washington Here, Sept. 13, 1861, Col. John Augustine Washington, aide-de-camp to Gen. Robert E. Lee, C. S. A., was killed. He was the last of resident owners of Mt. Vernon, which he had sold in 1859 . . . — Map (db m34370) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — HuttonsvilleThe Army of the Northwest — The First Campaign
After the defeat in Philippi on June 3, 1861, Confederate forces retreated to this point. Gen. Robert S. Garnett was sent to Western Virginia to reorganize these troops and halt the southeast advance of Federal forces. Here on June 14, he created the 25th and 31st Virginia infantry regiments with recruits from the surrounding mountain areas. One thy later, these troops marched north to guard key mountain passes at Rich Mountain and Laurel Hill, General Garnett’s “gates to the . . . — Map (db m34368) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — HuttonsvilleOn the Eve of Battle — Jones-Imboden Raid
(Preface): On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia against the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that they marched 1,100 miles, fought several engagements, captured 100 Federals, seized about 1,200 horses and 4,000 cattle, and burned 4 turnpike bridges, more than 20 railroad bridges, 2 trains, and 150,000 barrels of oil. Most bridges . . . — Map (db m59357) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — Old Brick Church
Tygart's Valley Presbyterian Church, organized in 1820. A brick building erected three-fourths mile west at the cemetery was destroyed by Union soldiers in 1862-1863 and the bricks used for building flues at the winter quarters. — Map (db m46331) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Mabie — ArtilleryRich Mountain Battlefield
Cannons mounted behind embankments on this hill made Confederate Camp Garnett a formidable position. Placed to sweep the turnpike below, they were 6-pounder smoothbores - light, mobile, and powerful at short range. Four cannons protected the Confederate works here. At Rich Mountain, cannons fired solid shot, shell, exploding balls and cannister (cans containing many small iron balls that scattered when fired). Their noise and shocking power alone could demoralize an enemy. — Map (db m23605) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Mabie — Camp GarnettRich Mountain Battlefield
Confederates built Camp Garnett to block the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike. Soldiers here felled trees, dug trenches and stacked rocks for protection. Fortifications covered the hills overlooking this road, forming a fearsome obstacle for General McClellan's army. "The regiment will be able to hold five times their number in check... if they will stand to their work." Confederate General R.S. Garnett — Map (db m23615) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Mabie — Camp GarnettRich Mountain Battlefield Civil War Site
Confederate Stronghold Guarding the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike Confederate Brigadier General Robert S. Garnett ordered fortifications built here to control the turnpike and hold western Virginia for the South. The fort,built of earth and log entrenchments, overlooked the vital road. By July, 1861, Colonel John Pegram commanded Camp Garnett with 1,300 Virginia troops and four cannon. Union Major General George B. McClellan was charged with securing western Virginia for the Union. On . . . — Map (db m23637) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Mabie — FortificationsRich Mountain Battlefield
These earthworks protected Confederates at Camp Garnett from small arms and artillery fire. Soldiers built them by rolling large logs into place and heaping dirt and rocks from a ditch in front. Trees were felled more than 100 yards ahead, their branches sharpened into spikes to discourage attack. The earthworks in front of this sign were originally several feet higher. Please help protect the earthworks by not walking or standing on them. — Map (db m23616) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Mabie — General George B. McClellanRich Mountain Battlefield
General McClellan marched three brigades of Federal troops into position along nearby Roaring Creek. He ordered a strong scouting party up this road to test the Camp Garnett defenses on July 10, 1861. Withering infantry and artillery fire from the Confederate fortifications convinced McClellan that a direct attack was folly. Instead he plotted to strike Camp Garnett from two directions. "I have been looking at the camps with my glass - they are strongly entrenched..." George McClellan — Map (db m23636) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Mabie — Staunton-Parkersburg TurnpikeRich Mountain Battlefield
This turnpike connected the upper Shenandoah Valley with the Ohio River by 1847. Designed by master engineer Claudius Crozet, it was a major rock-paved roadway with toll stations. The road you are traveling follows the original turnpike route. Both armies struggled for control of this road in 1861. The Union victory at Rich Mountain secured much of Western Virginia and sustained a growing statehood movement. A 35th star was added to the flag in 1863 for West Virginia. Union and Confederate . . . — Map (db m23617) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Montrose — Randolph County / Tucker County
(East Side):Randolph County Formed from Harrison in 1787. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygart's Valley in War between the states largely determined control of W.Va. (West Side):Tucker County Formed in 1856 from Randolph. Named for Henry St. George Tucker, Virginia statesman and jurist. In this county is the Fairfax Stone, marking the boundry of the vast Fairfax estate. Blackwater . . . — Map (db m24453) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Norton — 139720 — Crawford Scott
"Crawford Scott 1816-1893 In commemoration of his loyalty to Abraham Lincoln and of his services as a guide to the Union forces during the Civil War of 1861-1865 while living on this farm first native of Randolph County to promote the commercial development of coal lands." — Map (db m49138) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Valley Head — Lee's Headquarters
One-half mile east is the site of Gen. R. E. Lee's Valley Mountain Headquarters where he camped with his troops from Aug. 6 to Sept. 20, 1861 while he directed the ill-fated Cheat Mountain Campaign. — Map (db m34366) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Valley Head — Mingo Flats
Named for the Mingo Indians who had a village here. This tribe was a branch of the Iroquois. The Seneca Indian Trail passes this point. On Valley Mountain in 1861, Gen. Robert E. Lee camped while campaigning in this valley. — Map (db m34374) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Valley Head — Valley Head
In 1777, Indians killed Darby Connolly and several members of his family on Connolly Run. Other settlers were taken captive. At Indian Run in 1780, three members of surveying party under Jacob Warwick were killed by the Indians. — Map (db m34429) HM
75 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 201 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.