HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Rapides Parish Markers
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria
Side A Unnamed during the colonial period, Alexandria's beginnings as the major city in central Louisiana are traced to ca. 1797, when the "seat of justice" for Rapides Post was transferred from the north to the south bank of Red River. By 1799, the greater percentage of the population was located here. Growth was rapid, spurred by the introduction of the cotton gin in 1800, by Alexander Fulton. within two years, Fulton had begun clearing land, opening roads and, in 1805, Frederick . . . — Map (db m38290) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria Library
This site, located in the town's center square, was set aside for public use on the original town plat commissioned by Alexander Fulton in 1805. The building was constructed solely for advancement of culture and learning in 1907 by Caldwell Brothers, Contractors, and Crosby + Henkel of New Orleans, Architects. It replaced an earlier library burned by Gen. Nathaniel Banks' federal troops May 13, 1864. Area businessman S.S. Bryan matched a $10,000.00 grant from Pittsburgh philanthropist Andrew . . . — Map (db m38292) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria's Oldest Hospital
The Alexandria Sanitarium, founded by six area physicians, was opened January 1, 1903 in a former hotel at Second and Lee streets "to provide for a skillful treatment of medical and surgical cases of any nature." In 1905 the first building at Third and Scott streets, one block northeast, was built by the Scott Street Land and Development Co., Dr. John L. Wilson, president. In 1917 the property was given to the Louisiana Baptist Convention and the name changed in 1919 to The Baptist Hospital. . . . — Map (db m38294) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Commercial BuildingBuilt c. 1915
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38319) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Emmanuel Baptist Church
The Alexandria and Pineville Baptist Church was organized in Pineville, Louisiana, on September 6, 1881, with twelve charter members. The name of the Church was changed to Emmanuel Baptist Church on March 30, 1892. In 1897, a wooden Sanctuary at Fourth and Jackson Streets in Alexandria was erected. A brick Education Building was completed in 1920. On September 10, 1950, the present brick Sanctuary was dedicated. In 1960, the Education Building was renovated and expanded educational facilities . . . — Map (db m38320) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — England AFB Heritage Park
A symbol of all airmen past, present, and future, the England Air Force Base Heritage Park is a proud reminder of the Air Force's role in our nation's military history. Each of the five aircraft displayed here valiantly contributed to the defense of our country. They are suspended in simulated flight as a permanent reminder of the courage, dedication and sacrifice of the men and women who have served their country as members of the finest air force in the world. — Map (db m10104) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — England Air Force Base History
England Air Force Base, which officially closed on December 15, 1992, began as the Alexandria Army Air Base on October 16, 1942 and was formally activated on February 12, 1943, was comprised of 2,604 acres and had two runways -- one north-south 7,000 feet long, and one northwest-southeast 9,350 feet long. Its capital assets were valued at more than $600 million. Until 1945, the facility was used as a B-17 bomber combat crew training school. After cessation of hostilities in Europe in . . . — Map (db m37973) WM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
The 23D Tactical Fighter Wing accepted its first A-10 Thunderbolt II in December 1980. Nicknamed the warthog by its pilots, the A-10 was designed to provide close air support for ground forces. One of the most advanced features of the A-10 was its deadly tank-killing 30mm Gau-8 cannon. Built to survive, the A-10's ability to take and deliver punishment was indeed a threat to those who would unsheathe the sword of aggression. — Map (db m10110) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Kent Plantation House
Kent House, the oldest known standing structure in Rapides Parish, was built by Pierre Baillio, completed in 1800. Baillio constructed the house on land received through a Spanish land grant circa 1794. — Map (db m38288) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Louisiana Maneuvers
In 1940 Lt. Gen. Stanley D. Embrick of the U.S. Army Fourth Corps Area, Atlanta, Ga., selected central Louisiana as site of training maneuvers to prepare American forces for possible involvement in war in Europe. Louisiana's 1941 maneuvers were the Army's largest peacetime training exercise. Approximately 400,000 troops were divided into armies of two imaginary countries: "Kotmk" (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri and Kentucky) and "Almat" (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and . . . — Map (db m38321) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — LTV Aerospace Vought A-7D Corsair II
When the 23D Tactical Fighter Wing came to England AFB in 1972, the Flying Tigers flew the A-7D Corsair II attack aircraft. For seven months in 1973, A-7 aircraft from the 74th Tactical Fighter Squadron of the 23 TFW deployed to Thailand to support the air war in Southeast Asia. The Flying Tigers flew the A-7 until 1980. This aircraft is painted to duplicate a past 23 TFW commander's aircraft. — Map (db m10111) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — North American F-86 Sabre
The Flying Tigers flew the F-86, one of the first swept-wing jet fighters, in the early 1950s. Known as the 23rd Fighter Interceptor Group, the unit provided air defense for the Northeastern United States while stationed at Presque Isle AFB, Maine. This F-86 has been painted to duplicate the aircraft flow by Lt Col John England, for whom England AFB is named. — Map (db m10112) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Old Rapides Bank Building
This structure was built on property that once belonged to Alexander Fulton. He had acquired it at the end of the 18th century from Marguerite Cecile Christophe Varrangue. Various persons occupied this site until it was acquired by Rapides Bank in two purchases dated February 26, 1897 and February 5, 1898. The Bank moved to this new location when it was ten years old, in September, 1898, under the leadership of its first president, Col. George Washington Bolton. The original building featured . . . — Map (db m38324) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Post-Civil War Alexandria
Side A After having been ravaged by fire during the Civil War, Alexandria was rebuilt and, with the building of railroads after Reconstruction, regained its place as the commercial, financial, medical and transportation center of central Louisiana. By the early 1900s the city was connected by mainline railways to northern and midwestern markets. Roads from all sections of Louisiana intersected here, making the town the state's crossroads. Telephone services began in 1895; the . . . — Map (db m38287) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Rapides Parish Governors
Four 19th century Rapides Parish residents served Louisiana as governor. Joseph Marshall Walker (1784-1856), a Bayou Rapides cotton planter, was governor 1850-53 -- the first to be installed in the newly-designated Baton Rouge capital. During his administration improvements were made in water and railway transportation, telegraph lines built, levees and drainage improved and a state banking system established. Thomas Overton Moore (1804-1877), a Bayou Robert planter, was governor 1860-64, . . . — Map (db m38325) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Red River
Side A Twenty-seven miles southeast of Tucumcari, New Mexico, Red River originates in the watershed of the Frio Draw on the Llano Estacado at an elevation of about 5000 feet. Flowing eastward through Palo Duro Canyon, it subsequently forms the border between Texas and Oklahoma, then turns southeast across Louisiana joining the Mississippi River at the northern boundary of the Florida Parishes. Its distinctive red color and rich alluvial valley have been noted since the earliest European . . . — Map (db m38326) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Republic F-105 Thunderchief
From 1964 to 1972 the Flying Tigers flew the F-105 tactical fighter bomber at McConnell AFB, Kansas, where the tigers functioned as both an operational unit and a training unit. Two of its squadrons served in Vietnam. While at McConnell, the Flying Tiger Unit received its current designation, 23D Tactical Fighter Wing. The aircraft displayed is an F-105G "Wild Weasel" with a paint scheme similar to ones flown by the 23 TFW. — Map (db m10109) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Republic F-84F Thunderstreak
Relocated from Bringhurst Park and unveiled on 25 April 1992 during a 391st FBS homecoming, it has that squadron's markings, its operations officer as pilot, its weapons NCOIC as crew chief. This airplane is dedicated to all the ‘cold warriors’ of the 366th and 401st fighter-bomber wings who flew from this base in support of National objectives during the post-Korean, pre-Vietnam War era. — Map (db m10107) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Complex
When Poste du Rapides was established in Pineville the Catholic mission of St. Louis des Apalachees was founded. Mass was said in private homes in the new town of Alexandria. A chapel built in 1817 was the first church of any denomination in this city. St. Francis Xavier Church was built in 1834 on Front Street. Rev. Leonard Menard envisioned a larger place of worship. The cornerstone of the present edifice was laid on the Feast of St. Francis Xavier, December 3, 1895. A few weeks later the . . . — Map (db m38327) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — The Guaranty Eagles
Carved of Indiana limestone, originally a part of the Guaranty Bank Building constructed in 1921. Salvaged in 1965 during a major building remodeling, and returned to Guaranty in 1981. — Map (db m38328) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — The Hotel Bentley
The hotel was built in 1907-1908 by Joseph A. Bentley, prominent lumberman and businessman. Bentley came to Central Louisiana from Pennsylvania to engage in the sawmill business and the cutting of the virgin pine forest which was the first serious economic activity since the devastation of the Civil War and Reconstruction. Architect for the hotel project was George R. Mann of Little Rock and contractor was Hull Construction Company of Jackson, Mississippi. The hotel opened August 10, 1908. In . . . — Map (db m38323) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Thomas Courtland Manning1825-1887
Side No. 1 On this site in 1906, the City Library known as the Manning Memorial Library was opened, named in honor o a 19th century resident who served his State and his Nation. Hundreds of his personal volumes were donated to this library, which ceased operation a year or so later. Born in Edenton, North Carolina, he became an attorney by "reading-for-the-law", Albemarle Sentinel editor, educator at Edenton Academy and Master of the Equity Court, Chowan County. In 1855, he . . . — Map (db m38291) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Bailey's Dam
If damming would get the fleet off, it would have been afloat long before." Rear Admiral David D. Porter Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Bailey While Union officers surveyed the situation and discussed the possible loss of the boats trapped in the river, Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Bailey, a West Point graduate with the Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry and Acting Engineer of the 19th Army Corps, came forward with a plan. Born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1827, Bailey grew up in Illinois and moved . . . — Map (db m38532) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Fort Buhlow and Fort Randolph
Fort Buhlow and Fort Randolph were earthwork/moat fortifications constructed beginning October 1864 by Confederate forces anticipating a repetition of Union Gen. Nathaniel Banks’ Summer 1864 Red River Expedition. Construction, completed March 1865, was under the command of Capt. C.M. Randolph and supervised by a military engineer, Lieut. A. Buhlow, for whom the forts are named. The work was performed by about 1500 soldiers and civilian workers and 500 black slaves. A third and larger fort, . . . — Map (db m7848) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Dam Works
The Lexington is freed By May 8, the water level had risen five feet four inches, allowing the lighter draft gunboats, the Fort Hindman, Neosho, and Osage, to cross the upper rapids and wait behind the dams. Fearing that the structure would not hold, General Banks informed Admiral Porter to put his boats "in readiness to take advantage of the higher water." Porter paid little heed to the concerns of Banks and made no effort to reduce the weight of his vessels, many of . . . — Map (db m38534) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Jewish Cemetery
The earliest known Jewish settler in the Alexandria-Pineville area was Henry Michael Hyams, whose name appears in the 1830 census. The earliest grave marker identifiable on this site tells that Augusta Bernstein, daughter of Samuel Bernstein, was buried here after her death on September 19, 1852. At least six other early burials were of victims of the 1853 yellow fever epidemic. The Hebrew Benevolent Association of Rapides, also known as Congregation Gemiluth Chassodim, was chartered October 2, . . . — Map (db m38329) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Red River CampaignMarch 1864
"I trust some future historian will treat this matter as it deserves to be treated, because it is a subject in which the whole country should feel an interest..."Rear Admiral David D. Porter May 16, 1864 Assembling the Troops In March of 1864, nearly 30,000 troops converged on the city of Alexandria, Louisiana. Their objective was to move up the Red River and gain control of Texas in hopes of preventing Mexico from entering the war for the Confederacy. Union leaders also hoped to . . . — Map (db m38368) HM
27 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 129 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.