Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Richland County South Carolina Historical Markers

267 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 67
 
Oak Grove Marker image, Click for more information
By Mike Stroud, 2010
Oak Grove Marker
South Carolina (Richland County), near Irmo — 40-95 — St. Paul Church / Oak Grove
St. Paul Church One of the first black churches after the Civil War, St. Paul AME began as Oak Grove African Methodist Episcopal Church. Local tradition says that the original small congregation worshipped in the 1850s in the "Bush Arbor;" . . . — Map (db m35996) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Blythewood — 40-162 — Bethel Baptist Church
Bethel Baptist Church was founded in 1884 by black members of nearby Sandy Level Baptist Church seeking to organize a separate congregation. They met at first in a brush arbor, then built a frame sanctuary here in 1892. It was covered in granite . . . — Map (db m43391) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Blythewood — 40-135 — George P. Hoffman House
(Front text) This house was built ca. 1855 for George P. Hoffman (1829-1902), a native of N.C. Hoffman ran a nearby sawmill and became the first postmaster of Doko (as Blythewood was first known) in 1856. This area was part of Fairfield . . . — Map (db m42607) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Blythewood — 40-137 — Sandfield Baptist Church / Sandfield Cemetery
Sandfield Baptist Church Twenty-Five Mile Creek Church, a Primitive Baptist congregation, was organized in this area before 1772. It was renamed Sandfield Church by ca. 1830 and the mother church for Cedar Creek, Harmony, Jackson Creek, and . . . — Map (db m43103) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Blythewood — 40-138 — Sandy Level Baptist Church
(Front text) Twenty-Five Mile Creek Church, a Primitive Baptist congregation, was organized in this area before 1772. The mother church for several area Baptist churches, it was renamed Sandfield ca. 1830 and stood about 3 mi. E. Sandfield . . . — Map (db m42996) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-4 — "Chesnut Cottage"
Temporary wartime home of Gen. and Mrs. James Chesnut. Here they entertained Jefferson Davis, president, C. S. A., and his staff, October 5, 1864. President Davis addressed the citizens of Columbia from the front steps of this cottage. — Map (db m27960) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-3 — "Commissioners' Oak"
In April 1786 Alexander Gillon, Henry Pendleton, Richard Winn, Richard Hampton, and Thomas Taylor, Commissioners appointed to lay out Columbia, are said to have met under an oak which grew near here. According to tradition the first court and jury . . . — Map (db m46449) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — "The Spirit of the American Doughboy "E. M. Viquesney
(Right panel) World War I was largly fought in trenches six feet deep along the Western Front which extended nearly four hundred miles, from Northern France to the French-Swiss border. Enemy trenches were close by and seperated from . . . — Map (db m43912) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — "The Spirit of the American Doughboy"
Dedicated to The Memory Of Our Comrades Who Gave Their Lives In The World War ----------------- Presented by The people of the Pacific Community November 11, 1930 (Followed by list of 11 names) (Reverse side) . . . — Map (db m42065) WM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 1896 Power Plant
To meet growing demands for electricity, the Columbia Water and Power Company constructed this power plant, the Columbia Hydro Plant, in 1896. It replaced the 1894 power facility upstream. This Hydro Plant provided power for city lights, . . . — Map (db m7351) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 9 -11 / First Responders
South Carolina Remembers the 2752 victims and 416 First Responders from New York City that gave their lives on September 11, 2001 — Map (db m50333) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — A Bridge to the Past
In 1819 a covered bridge was built to span this part of the Saluda River. Confederate Troops burned the bridge in 1865 hoping to stop the advance of General Sherman's army. The burning didn't halt Sherman -- he ordered the construction of a . . . — Map (db m45031) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — A Tribute To All U.S. Military Personnel On This Day Of Infamy
In memory of the 2403 men who gave their lives in our military forces during the attack on Pearl Harbor and other military bases 7 December 1941 A tribute to all U.S. Military Personnel on this Day Of Infamy . . . — Map (db m45075) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-183 — A.S. Salley House
(side 1) Alexander Samuel Salley 1871-1961), the historian described as a “walking encyclopedia” of S.C. history, lived here from 1910 until his death. Salley, born in Orangeburg County, was secretary of the S.C. Historical . . . — Map (db m72734) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — African-American History Monument
[South Panel]: Gang of 25 Sea Island Cotton and Rice Negroes by Louis De Saussure On Thursday, the 25th Sept., 1852, at 11 o'clock A.M. will be sold by Ryan's Mart, in Chalmers Street, in the City of Charleston, A prime . . . — Map (db m50922) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-152 — Allen University
(Front) Allen University, chartered in 1880, was founded by the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church. It had its origin in Payne Institute, founded in 1870 in Cokesbury, in Greenwood County. In 1880 the S.C. Conference of the A.M.E. . . . — Map (db m53954) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Arsenal Hill
Occupying the highest point in downtown Columbia, Arsenal Hill is named for the military academy established here in 1842 as a companion to The Citadel in Charleston. Since the late 1700s, this 30 block neighborhood has been home to black and . . . — Map (db m41643) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Arsenal Hill
Situated within the two-mile square grid that defined Columbia's original city limits in 1786, Arsenal Hill enjoys the distinction of being one of the second state capital's oldest neighborhoods. Established by the 1820's as a fashionable . . . — Map (db m41837) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-90 — Assembly Street
In 1786, when Columbia was established as the State Capital, the General Assembly decided that two principal thoroughfares should run perpendicular to each other through the center of town. One of these, Assembly Street, was named for the . . . — Map (db m7498) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-105 — Barnwell Street
This street is named for General John Barnwell, St. Helena's Parish. He was elected to the Provincial Congress of 1775-76 and to the 1776 General Assembly.   A captain in the First Provincial Regiment, he was major, colonel and brigadier general in . . . — Map (db m51236) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Battleship Maine Memorial
This gun came off the Battleship Maine The Sinking of the Maine resulted in the Spanish American War 1898 — Map (db m7503) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-147 — Benedict College
Front Benedict College, founded in 1870 by the American Baptist Home Mission Society to educate freedmen and their descendants, was originally called Benedict Institute. It was named for Stephen and Bathsheba Benedict of Rhode Island, . . . — Map (db m52787) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Benjamin Franklin Randolph Monument
. . . — Map (db m50962) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Benjamin Ryan Tillman
[North]: Born August 11, 1847 - Died July 3, 1918 Married Sallie Starke January 8, 1868 Patriot • Statesman Governor of South Carolina 1890-1894 United States Senate 1895-1918 In the World War, Chairman Senate Committee on . . . — Map (db m50899) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-150 — Bethel A.M.E. Church
(Front text) This church, founded in 1866, was one of the first separate African-American congregations established in Columbia after the Civil War. It met in buildings on Wayne St., at Lincoln & Hampton Sts., and at Sumter & Hampton Sts. . . . — Map (db m28074) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-123 — Bethel Methodist Church
This church was organized in 1835 in what was then rural Richland District. The first sanctuary here, built soon afterwards, burned in a forest fire in 1867; the cemetery dates from as early as 1862. The second sanctuary, built in 1868, was . . . — Map (db m43709) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-25 — Birthplace of General Maxcy Gregg
Maxcy Gregg, Confederate General and leader in Southern Rights Movement, was born Aug. 1, 1815 in a house on this site. Member of committee which framed the ordinance of secession, Dec. 1860; Colonel 1st Regiment South Carolina Volunteers; . . . — Map (db m21775) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-66 — Blanding Street
Originally named Walnut Street, Blanding Street was by 1869 renamed for Abram Blanding, a Massachusetts native who came to Columbia in 1797 to take charge of Columbia Male Academy. Blanding was admitted to the bar in 1802 and served two terms in the . . . — Map (db m21823) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-78 — Blossom Street
This street is thought to take its name from the cotton blossom. Cotton became an important commercial crop in South Carolina after the cotton gin was patented by Eli Whitney in 1794. A variety of cotton, known as Sea Island cotton and grown along . . . — Map (db m21777) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-149 — Blossom Street School / Celia Dial Saxon School
Blossom Street School Blossom Street School, at the corner of what was then Blossom & Gates (now Park) Streets, was built in 1898 as the first public school in Columbia south of Senate Street. A frame building, it was originally a school for . . . — Map (db m30075) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Booker T. Washington High School
Booker T. Washington High School 1916 - 1974   From the day it opened its doors in 1916 Booker T. Washington High School played a major roll in the life of Columbia's black community. Originally a school with all grades, . . . — Map (db m58983) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Boylston House & Boxwood Gardens
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives and History: Boylston House & Boxwood Gardens — Map (db m50930) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-63 — Bull Street
This street was named for Brigadier General Stephen Bull (c. 1733-1800). Grandson of Lt. Gov. William Bull I, Stephen was a member of the Commons House of Assembly, the First Provincial Congress, the First General Assembly. He saw military action in . . . — Map (db m21719) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-132 — Cain- Matthews- Tompkins House
(Front text) This house, built ca. 1910 for Columbia businessman John Jefferson Cain (1869-1929), was designed by William Augustus Edwards (1866-1939), a prominent regional architect. Cain, who moved to Columbia in 1899, became one of the . . . — Map (db m29087) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-47 — Camp Jackson
Named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson. This cantonment site 1 ½ mi. north was approved by the War Dept. June 2, 1917. Maximum strength was recorded in June 1918: 3,302 officers; 45,402 men. 81st Division was trained here Aug. 29, 1917-May 18, . . . — Map (db m30740) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Cap. Swanson Lunsford
Cap. Swanson Lunsford a native of Va. and for many years a resident of Columbia, Died August 7th, 1799. Aged about forty years. He was a member of Lee’s Legion in the eventful period of 76. This humble tribute to his memory has been placed by . . . — Map (db m67778) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Capitol Complex
[North]: Capitol Complex Dedicated to Robert Evander McNair Governor Of South Carolina 1965-1971 This Complex was Conceived and Planned During His Administration "South Carolinians have a special feeling for this . . . — Map (db m50901) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-140 — Carver Theatre
Carver Theatre, built about 1941, was one of Columbia’s two exclusively African-American theatres during the segregation era of the mid-20th century. It was run by black operators but owned by the white-owned Dixie Amusement Company for most of its . . . — Map (db m53952) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Cecil Herbert Land D.D.
Son of Annie Black and Edward H. Lang Born Temple, Texas March 18, 1891 Died Columbia, SC July 9, 1974 Minister in the Presbyterian Church U.S over fifty years. Chaplain in World War I and II. First Chaplain in the . . . — Map (db m46395) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-11 — Cemetery of the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society
In this cemetery, 2½ blocks south, on Gadsden Street, are buried many distinguished Jewish citizens, including two mayors of Columbia: Mordecai Hendricks DeLeon (1791-1849) and Henry Lyons (1805-1858). The Benevolent Society was organized in . . . — Map (db m28126) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — China - Burna - India Veterans
. . . — Map (db m50934) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-88 — Church of the Good Shepard
Beginning in 1883 with services held in nearby private homes by Trinity Church, this Episcopal church then constructed a building on Barnwell Street, was organized into a mission, and became a separate parish in 1886. Rt. Rev. Albert S. Thomas, 9th . . . — Map (db m28306) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-67 — College Street
This street, originally named Medium Street and part of the original 1786 Columbia Plan, bisected the area which was to be the campus of South Carolina College. The college, established in 1801 by an act of the General Assembly, later became the . . . — Map (db m21848) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Colonel Thomas Taylor1743 - 1833
This marker honors Colonel Thomas Taylor, Patriot of the American Revolution. It is erected during this bicentennial year of 1976 to commemorate his contribution to the educational, cultural, civic, and religious life of the people of Richland . . . — Map (db m51187) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-86 — Columbia Bible College
Columbia Bible School classes began in 1923 in the towered building which once stood on this site (originally as Columbia Female College, later as the Colonia Hotel). Under the leadership of its first president, Robert C. McQuilkin, the school grew . . . — Map (db m28303) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-139 — Columbia Bible College, 1937-1960 / Westervelt Home, 1930 - 1937
(Front Text): Columbia Bible College 1937-1960 In 1937 Columbia Bible College (now Columbia International University) acquired the Ainsley Hall House, designed by Robert Mills. The students housed here were trained for Christian service . . . — Map (db m27963) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — S-6/40-37 — Columbia Canal
Completed 1824. Important link in the system of waterways transporting freight between the up country and Charleston. Supplanted by railroads for transportation after 1850. Leased to Confederate Government to run powder works. Enlarged . . . — Map (db m11319) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Columbia City Hall
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives and History: Columbia City Hall — Map (db m50960) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-124 — Confederate Printing Plant
(Front text) From April 1864 to February 1865 Confederate bonds and currency were printed and processed in this building, constructed in 1863-64 for the printing and stationery firm of Evans & Cogswell. That firm, founded in Charleston, . . . — Map (db m28531) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
(Front): Confederate 1861 - Soldiers - 1865 Erected by The Confederate Home Albertson, Maberry; Bethea, W. F.; Brooks, Robert; Brown, G. W.; Bozman, William; Bush, J. E.; Carter, F. M.; Cameron, W. C.; Chambers, H. A.; Connell, W. E; . . . — Map (db m46844) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Confederate Soldiers Home
Confederate Soldiers Home by an act of the General Assembly in 1908, an infirmary was established on this site for the infirm and destitute Confederate Soldiers and Sailors of the state in 1925. Eligibility for admission was extended to wives and . . . — Map (db m46504) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-38 — Congaree River Bridges
This river took its name from the Congaree Indians, a Siouan tribe which occupied the valley until the Yamassee War in 1715. The first wooden bridge here was completed in 1827. It was burned to delay the advance of Sherman's Army in 1865, rebuilt . . . — Map (db m7366) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-53 — Courthouse Square
Richland County's second court house was built in 1803-04 on the northeast corner of Richardson (Main) and Washington Streets. In the 1850s, it was razed and a new court house erected on the same site. On the southeast corner was located the . . . — Map (db m30829) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-173 — Curtiss-Wright Hangar
(Front text) This hangar, built in 1929 by the Curtiss-Wright Flying Service, was the first building at Owens Field, a municipal airport then 3 mi. S of the city limits. Curtiss-Wright built and operated numerous airports across America for . . . — Map (db m55106) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-15 — DeBruhl-Marshall House
A fine example of the classic style in Southern domestic architecture. Built in 1820, probably after a design of Robert Mills. For almost one hundred years the home of the DeBruhl and Marshall families. — Map (db m28629) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Diamond HillThe home of Lt. General Wade Hampton, C.S.A.
Known as "Diamond Hill," which was burned by Union Troops during their invasion of Columbia, February 17, 1865, was located 125 feet due south of this spot. The stones in this monument formed part of the foundation of that home. — Map (db m46448) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Doolittle Raiders
Symbolizing the strength and endurance of South Carolinians, these Palmetto trees commemorate the Columbia trained Doolittle Raiders whose courage and patriotism in the early hours of World War II rallied a beleagured nation to save Western . . . — Map (db m7370) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Duke of Albemarle(1608-1670)
General George Monck Helped restore Charles II Commander of Royal Forces Colonel of Coldstream Guards — Map (db m50958) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Earl of Clarendon(1609-1674)
Born Edward Hyde Lord High Chancellor for Charles II Persecuted the Dissenters Exiled for Private Life Daughter Married James II — Map (db m50956) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-48 — Early Columbia Racetrack
From early days horse racing was a favorite sport in Columbia and many famous horses were bred on neighboring plantations. Columbia Jockey Club was organized by Col. Wade Hampton II and Col. Richard Singleton in 1828. Congaree Race Course was . . . — Map (db m30213) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-39 — Early Country Homes
In this malaria-free sandhill section were the antebellum summer homes of many Columbians: Quinine Hill (Dr. J. M. Taylor, Dr. James Davis); Hilltop (W. J. Taylor); Edgehill (B. F. Taylor); Laurel Hill (D. J. McCord); . . . — Map (db m30246) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-112 — Early Howard School Site
On this site stood Howard School, a public school for blacks established after the Civil War. By 1869 there was a two-story frame building large enough for 800 pupils. Partially funded by the Freedmen's Bureau, the school reportedly was named for . . . — Map (db m30254) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-9 — Ebenezer Lutheran Church
First Lutheran congregation in Columbia. Church dedicated in this square in 1830 was burned by Union troops in 1865. It was rebuilt 1870, partly through aid of northern Lutherans, and used for Sunday School after present church was completed in 1931. — Map (db m28073) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Elliott College1837
Named for Stephen Elliott, first president of the Bank of the State of South Carolina and noted botanist. Elliot College, a residence hall, was one of the first historic Horseshoe buildings to undergo extensive remodeling under the Horseshoe . . . — Map (db m22241) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-68 — Elmwood Avenue
This street , originally named Upper Street, was the northernmost street in the original Columbia plan. The plan of the city depicted an area two miles square divided into lots of one-half acre; eight acres were reserved for erecting public . . . — Map (db m21850) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Elmwood Cemetery Confederate Soldiers
J Baker • Samuel Hill • J C Schroeder William Barefoot • W D Hutto • Sindal Joseph Burns • R Johnson • A Smith F Butler • P P Killebrew • J Smith R Campbell • D F McFarland • Scott Nimrod Smith A C Catlett • McMaster • Suber J Darrell • . . . — Map (db m46632) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-26 — Entrance to Cemetery of the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society
The society has been in continuous existence since its organization in 1822. It was chartered 1834. Its charities are administered to the needs of the community without regard to creed or race. — Map (db m27965) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-158 — Fair-Rutherford House / Rutherford House
(Front text) The Fair-Rutherford House, a Greek Revival cottage, stood here from ca. 1850 until it was demolished in 2004. Built for Dr. Samuel Fair, it passed through several owners before 1905, when William H. Rutherford (1852-1910) . . . — Map (db m58789) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-17 — First Baptist Church
Congregation organized 1809. Original church, built 1811 on Sumter Street corner, was burned Feb. 17, 1865 by Union troops who mistook it for the present church, built 1859, where the Secession Convention had met Dec. 17, 1860. Because of . . . — Map (db m29209) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-22 — First Presbyterian Church
First congregation organized in Columbia (1795). The churchyard, allotted as a public burying ground in 1798, was granted to this church 1813. Here are buried: D.E. Dunlap, first pastor; Chancellor H.W. DeSaussure; Jonathan Maxcy, first President . . . — Map (db m29042) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 71000801 — First Presbyterian Church
(Upper Medallion) National Register of Historic Places First Presbyterian Church South Carolina Department of Archives and History (Lower Medallion) American Revolution Bicentennial * Richland County Committee * . . . — Map (db m32312) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — First Presbyterian Church Confederate Veterans Monument
Men who served in the Confederate States Army from the congregation of The First Presbyterian Church Columbia, South Carolina 1861-1865 Dedicated to those who died in gratitude to those who served [List of 64 names] . . . — Map (db m46440) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-40 — Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek
About 1800, Col. Thomas Taylor erected the small building, 1/4 mile upstream, where cotton goods were woven for his plantation needs. Here John and Edward Fisher later established one of the earliest spinning mills in Richland County, using slave . . . — Map (db m30454) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Fleishman Family Chapel
Dedicated to the Fleishman Family, whose family members have served as officers of the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society over four generations covering three centuries. Their untiring and devoted service to the Society has been a mitsvah benefiting . . . — Map (db m61562) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-6 — Former Site of Columbia Theological Seminary
Founded 1828 by Presbyterian Synod of South Carolina and Georgia. Located here 1831. Moved to Decatur, Georgia 1925. Woodrow Wilson's father and uncle were among faculty members. Central building, erected 1823, was designed by Robert Mills as home . . . — Map (db m28842) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-106 — Gadsden Street
This street was named for Charlestonian Christopher Gadsden, member of the 1759 Cherokee expedition, the Commons House of Assembly, and the two Continental and Provincial congresses. He also served in several General Assemblies. During the . . . — Map (db m28983) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Geiger Ave. Cemetery
In loving memory this cemetery contains Confederate Veterans and their families in the central area and State Hospital patients in surrounding locations. — Map (db m51180) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — George Elmore
Sacred to the Memory of George Elmore who through unmatched courage, perseverance, and personal sacrifice brought the legal action by which black people may participate in South Carolina democratic party primary elections -- . . . — Map (db m58187) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — George Washington (Statue)
During the occupation of Columbia by Sherman's army February 17-19, 1865, soldiers brickbatted this statue and broke off the lower part of the walking cane. — Map (db m46635) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Gervais Street Bridge
The first bridge at Gervais Street was a covered wooden structure built in 1827 by the Columbia Bridge Company. It remained until 1865 when Confederate soldiers burned it and other bridges to delay the advance of Sherman's troops. Rebuilt in . . . — Map (db m7365) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-92 — Gibbes Green
Named for Maj. Wade Hampton Gibbes (1837-1903) prominent Columbian who owned much of the land to the east, Gibbes Green consisted of an area of land bounded by Pendleton, Bull, Pickens, and Greene Streets. Acquired by S. C. College by 1838, the land . . . — Map (db m29169) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-99 — Gladden Home Site
States-rights advocate Adley Hogan Gladden, who lived here before the Civil War, served Columbia as postmaster 1841-45 and was later bursar of S. C. College, captain of the Governor's Guard, and intendant of Columbia 1851-52. In 1847 he assumed . . . — Map (db m30298) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Gonzales Tribute
(West face) Erected By popular subscription A Tribute To the worth and service of N.G. Gonzales, Born August 5, 1858, Died January 19,1903. —–— "Faithful unto death." Gonzales (North face) A . . . — Map (db m21926) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-12 — Governor's Mansion
Arsenal Academy, converted from a state arsenal, occupied this square from 1842 to 1865 when Union troops burned all the Academy buildings except Officers' Quarters, erected 1855. Since 1868 this building has been the Governor's Mansion. — Map (db m28127) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-80 — Gregg Street
(Front text) Richard Winn, for whom this street was first named, was born in Virginia in 1750 and came to South Carolina as a young man. He fought throughout the Revolution (including the battles of Hanging Rock, Fish Dam Fords, . . . — Map (db m21760) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-7 — Hampton - Preston House
Built about 1818 by Ainsley Hall. Purchased 1823 by Wade Hampton, I. Inherited by his daughter, Mrs. John S. Preston, 1863. Headquarters of Union Gen. J. A. Logan, 1865; residence of Gov. F. J. Moses 1872-74; Ursuline Convent 1887-90; College for . . . — Map (db m27999) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-91 — Harden Street
This street was named for William Harden, a native South Carolinian. In 1776 he was given command of Ft. Lyttelton near Beaufort by the Second Provincial Congress of which he was a member. In 1781, serving as colonel under Francis Marion, he . . . — Map (db m21776) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Harnessing Water Power
Downstream from where the current Gervais Street Bridge now stands, Dr. Frederick W. Green owned and operated a lumberyard, and ran a grist mill to grind flour and corn. A native of New England, Green came South in the 1830s. Water from the . . . — Map (db m7362) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Harper College1848
Erected on the site of an earlier building that had served as the campus dining hall, Harper was part of an extensive mid-century construction program undertaken to accommodate an increase in enrollment. The building was named for William Harper . . . — Map (db m22236) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-143 — Heidt - Russell House / Edwin R. Russell
Heidt - Russell House This house, with Greek Revival and Italianate architectural influences, was built about 1879 by William J. Heidt, builder and contractor who managed Heidlinger’s Steam Bakery. The Heidts lived here until 1912. Mary E. . . . — Map (db m36018) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-82 — Henderson Street
This street is named for Brig. Gen. William Henderson who was in the Third S.C. Regiment at the fall of Charleston in 1780. He was captured, imprisoned, and later exchanged. In 1781, he was wounded while commanding a brigade at the Battle of Eutaw . . . — Map (db m21741) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Henry Disbrow Phillips, D.D.Trinity Parish House — Trinity Episcopal Church
This building is dedicated in loving memory to Henry Disbrow Phillips, D.D. 1882 - 1955 Rector of this parish 1922-1938 Bishop of Southwestern Virginia 1938-1954 Founder and warden of La Grange settlement, La Grange Georgia an . . . — Map (db m45391) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Here Stood The State House
Built 1786-1790 James Hoban Architect Burned By Sherman's Troops February 17, 1865 — Map (db m7386) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-24 — Horry-Guignard House
One of the oldest houses in Columbia; built before 1813, probably by Peter Horry (1747-1815), Colonel in Revolution, Brigadier General of S.C. militia. Later home of John Gabriel Guignard (1751-1822), Surveyor General of S.C., 1798-1802. — Map (db m29541) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-111 — Howard School Site
Established after the Civil War, this public school for blacks was located at the NW corner of Hampton & Lincoln streets by 1869 and was partially supported by the Freedmen's Bureau. It is said the school was named for Oliver O. Howard, . . . — Map (db m46341) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-64 — Huger Street
This street was named for Brig. Gen. Isaac Huger, who fought in the Cherokee War of 1760 and during the American Revolution at Stono, Savannah, Siege of Charlestown, Guilford Court House, Hobkirk Hill. Born 1743 at Limerick Plantation in the parish . . . — Map (db m29214) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — I. DeQuincey Newman Freeway
Named in 1986 by Action of the Richland County Legislative Delegation and Highway Commission in recognition of one of this state's most distinguished citizens. A Civil Rights leader who worked unceasingly for equal rights for all, he helped keep . . . — Map (db m49771) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-175 — I. DeQuincey Newman House
Front Isaiah DeQuincey Newman (1911~1985), Methodist minister, civil rights leader, and state senator, lived here from 1960 until his death. Born in Darlington County, he attended Claflin College and was a graduate of Clark College and . . . — Map (db m57481) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — In Memory of the John H. Rose Family
In memory of the John H. Rose Family Property located to the north of this marker is part of a farm once belonging to John H. Rose an area pioneer from Fayetteville, N.C. A grist mill and saw mill on property was burned by Gen. Sherman's army. . . . — Map (db m52370) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-151 — Israelite Sunday School / Columbia's First Synagogue
Israelite Sunday School The Israelite Sunday School, the first Jewish religious school in Columbia and the seventh in the United States, met in a building on this site until 1865. Founded in 1843 to give the city's Jewish children "an . . . — Map (db m21925) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — J. Marion Sims
J. Marion Sims 1813 1883 Where the love of man is there also is love of the art. Hippocrates (Lower Left): The first surgeon of the ages in ministry to women treating alike empress and slave (Lower Right): He founded the science of . . . — Map (db m49773) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — James F. Byrnes1879-1972
[Northeast Base]: Inscription: The Most Distinguished South Carolinian of His Time Plaque Erected in Grateful Appreciation of James F. Byrnes By His Friends in His Native State and Nation Executive . . . — Map (db m50911) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-142 — James M. Hinton House
(Front text) This is the site of the home of James Miles Hinton (1891-1970), businessman, civil rights pioneer, and minister. Hinton moved to Columbia in 1939 and was elected president of the Columbia branch of the National Association for . . . — Map (db m28084) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-130 — Jefferson Hotel
[Front]: The Jefferson Hotel, designed and built by Columbia entrepreneur and contractor John Jefferson Cain (1869-1929), stood here at the corner of Main and Laurel Streets from 1913 until 1968. The hotel (also sometimes called the . . . — Map (db m21895) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Joseph D. Sapp Memorial Bridge
This bridge is dedicated to the memory of Joesph Daniel Sapp (1928-2000). As chair of the Columbia Development Corporation, he was instrumental in the development of the Vista. Elected to the S.C. General Assembly, he served as an advisor to . . . — Map (db m45074) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Korean War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of South Carolina who served in The Korean War 25 June 1950 to 27 July 1953 82,000 Palmetto State residents served in what has been called "The Forgotten War". Of that number, 26,000 served in the Far . . . — Map (db m45073) WM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Lace House
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives and History: Lace House — Map (db m50929) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-14 — Ladson Presbyterian Church
Congregation originated in the Sabbath School for colored people organized by the First Presbyterian Church 1838, later conducted by the Rev. G. W. Ladson. A chapel for the Negro members of that church was built here 1868. Rebuilt 1896. The title . . . — Map (db m29385) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-79 — Lady Street
One of the original streets in the 1786 Columbia plan. Lady Street is thought to have been named for Martha Custis Washington, the new nation's first lady whom South Carolina wished to honor. Lady Washington presided over the President's home, . . . — Map (db m21791) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-23 — Last Home of Wade Hampton
Wade Hampton, III, born March 28, 1818, was commander of Hampton Legion, 1861, with rank of Colonel; Lieutenant General, C. S. A., 1865; Governor of S. C. 1876-79; U. S. Senator 1879-91. He died April 11, 1902 in this house, given to him in 1899 by . . . — Map (db m29564) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-73 — Laurel Street
This street probably takes its name from the cherry laurel (Laurocerasus caroliniana) and the mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia), both of which are indigenous to South Carolina. Laurel Street is one of the original streets in the 1786 plan of . . . — Map (db m21844) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Legare College1848
Originally designed as a residence hall, Legare College replaced a library and science building erected on this site in 1817. Legare College was named for Hugh Swinton Legare, a South Carolina College graduate who served as Attorney General of the . . . — Map (db m22151) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Liberty Bell Reproduction
Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of South Carolina by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury as the inspirational symbol of the United . . . — Map (db m68072) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Lieber College1837
Named for Francis Lieber (1800-1872), one of the most distinguished scholars in the history of the University. A native of Prussia, Lieber migrated to America in 1827 and was elected chair of history and political economy at South Carolina College . . . — Map (db m22122) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-76 — Lincoln Street
Gen. Benjamin Lincoln, for whom this street is named, was a division commander in the Saratoga Campaign. In 1778, he became commander of the Southern Department of the American Army and was in command at Charleston when the city surrendered to the . . . — Map (db m29217) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Lord Ashley(1621-1673)
Earl of Shaftesbury Anthony Ashley Cooper Two Rivers Names for Him Supporter of Political Freedom Friend of John Locke — Map (db m50948) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Lord John Berkeley(1607-1678)
First Baron Berkeley of Stratton Supporter of the Stuarts Skillful Military Commander Loyal to the Royal Line Followed Charles II into Exile — Map (db m50953) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Lord William Craven(1606-1697)
Colonel in the English Civil War Lord Proprietor of New Jersey Foreign Military Service On Privy Council of King Died at 89, Unmarried. — Map (db m50940) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-126 — Mann-Simons Cottage
(Front text) This cottage, built before 1850, with alterations and additions throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, was the home of Celia Mann (1799-1867) and her husband Ben Delane, among the few free blacks living in Columbia . . . — Map (db m28000) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-89 — Marion Street
This street was named for Francis Marion, one of the three S.C. Partisan Generals during the American Revolution. The guerrilla tactics against the British by Marion and his Partisan band earned for him the name of "Swamp Fox." Congress voted its . . . — Map (db m21715) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-141 — Matthew J. Perry House
(Front text) Matthew J. Perry, Jr. (b. 1921), lawyer, civil rights pioneer, and jurist, lived in a house on this site as a youth; the house was torn down in 1997. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, then graduated from S.C. State . . . — Map (db m35789) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-174 — Maxcy Gregg Park
(Front) This city park, established in 1911, was named for Confederate General Maxcy Gregg (1814-1862). It was one of several parks in Columbia proposed by landscape architect Harlan P. Kelsey of Boston, whose 1905 plan was commissioned by . . . — Map (db m54965) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — McCutchen House1813
McCutchen House, named for Prefessor George McCutchen, was the second faculty residence built on the South Carolina College campus. It continued in that capacity until 1945 when the University stopped providing faculty housing and the Registrar's . . . — Map (db m22200) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Memorial FountainSouth Caroliniana Library
This fountain in honor of The Carolina Patriots Who Fought In The American Revolution Given by The American Revolution Bicentennial Richland County Committee The University South Carolina Society The Lucy . . . — Map (db m50961) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Memorial Youth Center
This Memorial Youth Center stands in memory of and in gratitude to the men of Richland County who gave their lives in World War II that the ideals of democratic living might be preserved. May the generous spirit of those youthful heroes commemorated . . . — Map (db m53955) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Memory of South Carolina Generals
To the Memory of South Carolina's Generals Sumter Marion Pickens and Her Patriot Sons Who Fought For Independence 1775 1783 [D.A.R. Medallion] — Map (db m27997) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Mexican Border and World War Memorial
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori These trees were planted in memory of the students and alumni of the University of South Carolina who gave their lives for their country and humanity on the Mexican Border and in the World War . . . — Map (db m46173) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-148 — Modjeska Simkins House
(Front text) This house was for sixty years the home of Modjeska Monteith Simkins (1899-1992), social reformer and civil rights activist. A Columbia native, she was educated at Benedict College, then taught high school. Director of Negro . . . — Map (db m36015) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-163 — Monteith School
(Front text) This African-American school, built nearby before 1900, was originally New Hope School, a white school affiliated with Union Church. It closed about 1914. In 1921 Rachel Hull Monteith (d. 1958) opened Nelson School as a black . . . — Map (db m35946) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-161 — Nathaniel J. Frederick House
(Front text) Nathaniel J. Frederick (1877-1938), educator, lawyer, newspaper editor, and civil rights activist, lived here from 1904 until his death. This house was built in 1903 by Cap J. Carroll, a prominent businessman and city official . . . — Map (db m56499) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-153 — North Carolina Mutual Building
(Front text) The North Carolina Mutual Building was built in 1909 by the N.C. Mutual and Provident Association, a black-owned life insurance company with an office here until the mid-1930s. Built as a two-story commercial building, with a . . . — Map (db m56496) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-10 — Old State Fair Grounds
This square is part of the tract where state fairs were held 1856-61, 1869-1903. The buildings, used 1861-65 for Confederate barracks and hospital, as well as nitre and mining bureau in charge of Joseph LeConte and James Woodrow, were burned by . . . — Map (db m28022) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Ordinance of Secession( First Baptist Church )
The Convention of the people of South Carolina which adapted an Ordinance Of Secession at Charleston, December 20, 1860 first met in this church at 12 o'clock M.[sic] December 17, 1860 and . . . — Map (db m28950) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-52 — Original Site of Columbia College
This land was purchased in 1854 by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church as the site of Columbia Female College, Chartered by S. C. General Assembly Dec. 21, 1854. Classes were held from 1859 to 1865. The college survived . . . — Map (db m28763) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-5 — Original Site of Winthrop College
In 1886, chiefly through the efforts of D. B. Johnson, first superintendent of Columbia public schools, Winthrop Training School, later Winthrop College, was started here in a small brick building which had been the chapel of Columbia Theological . . . — Map (db m28021) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Palmetto Arsenal / Iron Works1880 Lincoln Street 1850
This sundried brick structure on a stone foundation was a arsenal which produced many guns and edged weapons for the state before and during the Civil War. Destroyed by General Sherman's army in 1865 it was soon rebuilt to manufacture iron works . . . — Map (db m42724) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Palmetto Regiment
[East Face] South Carolina To her sons of the Palmetto Regiment Who fell in the War with Mexico Anno Domini 1847. [West face] Colonel Pierce Mason Butler. Lieut. Col. James Polk Dickinson. Capt. Le Roy Secrest. First . . . — Map (db m81693) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40 - 94 — Paul R. Redfern
Born in 1902, Paul Redfern at an early age showed a marked mechanical aptitude and excitement for aviation. Shortly after graduating from old Columbia High School in 1923, he built his own airplane and established the city’s first commercial . . . — Map (db m58991) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Philip Simmons
Philip Simmons, renowned Charleston blacksmith, designed these wrought iron entrance gates and they were fabricated at the Simmons Blacksmith Shop by his apprentices Joseph Pringle (cousin) and Carlton Simmons (nephew). The men forged . . . — Map (db m50925) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-61 — Pickens Street( Columbia S.C. )
This street was named for Andrew Pickens (1739-1817). One of the three S.C. Partisan Generals in the Revolution, he fought in the battles of Cowpens and Eutaw Springs both in 1781. Pickens served fourteen years in the S.C. House of Representatives, . . . — Map (db m21720) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Pinckney College1837
Pinckney College, constructed in 1837, honors a prominent South Carolina family. Notables members include Charles Pinckney (1757-1824), who served as South Carolina governor and U.S. senator. He authored the "Pinckney Draft" at the Federal . . . — Map (db m22124) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-172 — Pine Grove Rosenwald School
(Front text) This school, built in 1923 at a cost of $2,500, is one of 500 African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation from 1917 to 1932. It is a two-room school typical of smaller Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m46343) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — President's House(University of South Carolina) — 1810
This building replaced the first faculty residence on campus which was destroyed by fire in 1854. Designed by P.H. Hammarskold, the presidents house introduced the Regency Style of Architecture to Columbia. It served as a faculty residence . . . — Map (db m62590) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Quoin-Stones
The Quoin-Stones and basement cornice above were crumbled “by the proximity of the fire from the adjacent Old State House” — Map (db m67776) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-128 — R.L. Bryan Co. Warehouse
(Front) This warehouse was built in 1913 as the schoolbook depository for the R.L. Bryan Company. The company, founded in 1844 by R.L. Bryan (1823-1900) and his brother-in-law James J. McCarter (d. 1872), was originally a bookstore and . . . — Map (db m29752) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-133 — Randolph Cemetery
[Front]: Randolph Cemetery, founded in 1871, was one of the first black cemeteries in Columbia. It was named for Benjamin Franklin Randolph (1837-1868), a black state senator assassinated in 1868 near Hodges, in Abbeville County. . . . — Map (db m29315) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40 - 176 — Redfern Field / Paul R. Redfern
Front This is the site of Redfern Field, established in 1923 as the first commercial airfield in Columbia. Paul Rinaldo Redfern (1902 ~ 1927?) had shown an early interest in and aptitude for aviation, building his first full-scale airplane . . . — Map (db m59061) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Remembering Dr. King
Front The honorary designation of Harden Street and installation of markers in the name of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. recognizes the achievements of a man who inspired the world to embrace equality and non-violence to . . . — Map (db m47684) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-160 — Richard Samuel Roberts House
(Front text) Richard Samuel Roberts (1880-1936), a photographer who documented individuals, families, and institutions in Columbia’s black community and across S.C., lived here from 1920 until his death. Roberts, a self-taught photographer, . . . — Map (db m53404) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Richardson Square
This mall is named in honor of Richard Richardson 1704 - 1780 Brigadier General of militia in the American Revolution, Member of the First and Second Provincial Congresses, Commander of the 1775 Snow Campaign, and ancestor of six . . . — Map (db m40624) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-74 — Richland Street
One of the original streets in the 1786 Columbia plan. Richland Street was probably named after Richland County, which had been so designated by an act of the General Assembly in 1785. By November 1786, two town commissioners, Alexander Gillon and . . . — Map (db m21847) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Robert E. Lee Memorial Highway
. . . — Map (db m7501) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Rutledge College1805 — University of South Carolina Historic District
First building completed              originally known as South,          Named for John Rutledge.          Burned and rebuilt 1855.             Library first housed here.            Clariosophic and Euphradian    Literary . . . — Map (db m62596) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Rutledge College1805
Rutledge College was the first first building to be erected at South Carolina College. At that time it served as Residence Hall, Lecture Hall, Chapel, Library, Faculty Housing and Laboratory. Rutledge College was named for John and Edward . . . — Map (db m62638) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-125 — Seaboard Air Line Passenger Station
[Front of Marker]: This depot, built by the Seaboard Air Line Railway in 1904, was the third passenger depot built in Columbia, following the South Carolina Railroad Depot on Gervais St., built about 1850, and the Union Station on Main . . . — Map (db m7641) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Seaboard Air-Line Railway Station #1
Camden and Cheraw will "in effect become suburbs of this city... through the construction of the new Seaboard Rail Line. The State May 10, 1900.

The Blue Marlin occupies the former Seaboard Air Line Railway Station, which served . . . — Map (db m83075) HM

South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Seaboard Air-Line Railway Station #2
The new Seaboard Railway Station "will be a daisy." The State editorial, May 31, 1904

Completed in early summer 1904, the Seaboard Air-Line Railway Station (now the Blue Marlin) was built by J.P. Pettijohn and Co. of Lynchburg, Va. for . . . — Map (db m83076) HM

South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-115 — Seibels House
(Front text) This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and probably built during the last decade of the 18th century, is one of the few remaining houses from this era in Columbia. It was purchased prior to 1860 by the . . . — Map (db m30419) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-77 — Senate Street
The South Carolina General Assembly created Columbia as the state's capital city in 1786, and Senate Street was named for the upper house of that legislative body. In 1790, the General Assembly, which designated that the town be located on the . . . — Map (db m21873) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-102 — Shandon
(Front text) In 1890 the Columbia Land and Investment Co. purchased farm land in this area for development, laying out streets and sidewalks in 1893. In 1894 the Columbia Electric Street Railway provided streetcars to the vicinity and built . . . — Map (db m30391) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Sherman’s Artillery
February 16, 1865 Sherman’s Artillery, from the hills on the south side of the Congaree, got the range of the city by firing on this building then under construction, registering six hits which are separately marked by stars. — Map (db m67773) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-49 — Sherman's Headquarters
During the Federal occupation of Columbia February 17-19, 1865 commanding General William T. Sherman had his headquarters here. — Map (db m29124) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40~159 — Sidney Park C.M.E. Church
(Front) Sidney Park C.M.E. Church was founded in 1886 and has been at this site since 1889. It grew out of a dispute among members of Bethel A.M.E. Church, who left that congregation and applied to join the Colored Methodist Episcopal (now . . . — Map (db m54970) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Sir George Carteret(1615-1680)
Of Old French Stock From the Isle of Jersey N.C. Cape, County Named for Him New Jersey Named for His Birthplace Honored by Charles II — Map (db m50957) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Sir John Colleton(1608-1666)
Colonel in English Civil War Gallant Naval Officer Retired to Barbados County Named for Him — Map (db m50941) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Sir William Berkeley(1606-1677)
Brother of John Berkeley Governor of Virginia Loyal to Charles II Hung Bacon's Supporters Opposed Schools and Printing — Map (db m50938) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-16 — Site of Blanding House
In this square stood the home of Colonel Abram Blanding (1776-1839) for whom this street was named. He was first principal, Columbia Male Academy 1798, a noted lawyer and philanthropist, ably served the state on Board of Public Works 1819-28. . . . — Map (db m28813) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-20 — Site of Columbia Female Academy
Authorized by legislature 1792, the Columbia Female Academy was located here from about 1820 to 1883, when this property was leased to Columbia Public School Commissioners, two of whom still represent the Academy Board. The remodeled academy . . . — Map (db m28042) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-97 — Site of Columbia High School
Described as "Collegiate Italian Renaissance" in style, this school was designed by J. Carroll Johnson, of Urquhart and Johnson, in Columbia. The cornerstone was laid in 1915 with Gov. Richard I. Manning as a featured speaker. Final classes were . . . — Map (db m28043) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-8 — Site of Columbia Male Academy
Trustees appointed by legislature 1792 were incorporated 1795 and served as trustees for male and female academies. School located here 1827 on land given by Gov. John Taylor. Though publicly endowed, the school was conducted as a private academy . . . — Map (db m28684) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-18 — Site of Gibbes House
On this corner stood the home of Dr. Robert W. Gibbes (1809-66) distinguished physician, scientist, historian, editor, antiquarian; Surgeon General of South Carolina 1861-65. The house with his notable library, art treasures and scientific . . . — Map (db m35612) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Site of Original President's House 1807( University of South Carolina )
On this spot stood the original President's House completed in 1807. The house served as the residence of every University president from Johnathan Maxcy to William S. Currell. It was the site of a variety of University . . . — Map (db m62715) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-13 — Site of Palmetto Iron Works
On the SW corner of this square was located the Palmetto Armory, later called Palmetto Iron Works, originally built for converting flint and steel muskets into percussion guns. Arms and munitions were manufactured here during the Confederate War, . . . — Map (db m21802) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-2 — Site of Parade Ground
During Federal military occupation of South Carolina 1865-1877, this square was part of the parade ground used by United States troops. The barracks were located on this and adjacent squares. — Map (db m45348) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Site of the Surrender of Columbia, SC
Erected Feb. 17, 1914 by Wade Hampton Chapter, U.D.C. On the spot where Mayor T.J. Goodwyn surrendered the city of Columbia to Gen. W.T. Sherman Feb. 17, 1865 Councilmen O.Z. Bates • Samuel Leapheart John Stork • John McKenzie W.B. Stanley • . . . — Map (db m46453) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-35 — Site of Wayside Hospital
Established March 10, 1862 by a group of Columbia women to care for sick and wounded Confederate soldiers. Supported by voluntary contributions. About 75,000 men were cared for before the hospital was closed February 15, 1865. "From this little . . . — Map (db m29805) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Site where James Dickey Wrote Deliverance
Friends of Libraries U.S.A. Literary Landmarks Register University of South Carolina Site where James Dickey Wrote Deliverance and other major works from 1969-1997 is designated a Literary . . . — Map (db m59166) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — South Carolina Confederate Monument
( West Face) To South Carolina's Dead Of The Confederate Army 1861 1865 ( North face) This monument perpetuates the memory , of those who true to the instincts of their birth, faithful to the teachings of . . . — Map (db m17048) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-33 — South Carolina Female Collegiate Institute
At Barhamville, about ½ mi. west of this point, a famous girls' school, founded by Dr. Elias Marks (1790-1886), was located 1828-65. Among the students were Anna Maria, daughter of John C. Calhoun; Ann Pamela Cuningham, founder of Mt. Vernon . . . — Map (db m43644) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-165 — South Carolina Memorial Gardens
(Front text) This garden was established in 1944 by the Garden Club of South Carolina. It was the first memorial garden in the U.S. created by a state garden club in honor and in memory of those who served in World War II. Sarah P. Boylston . . . — Map (db m32784) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-28 — South Carolina State Hospital
Institution authorized 1821 by General Assembly, mainly through the work of two members, Samuel Farrow and William Crafts, Jr. The original building, on right, designed by Robert Mills, shows a pioneer grasp of the ideas of humanitarian treatment. — Map (db m37004) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — South Carolina State Hospital, Mills BuildingSouth Carolina Lunatic Asylum
(Upper Plaque) Original Building South Carolina State Hospital Designed by Robert Mills 150 Years Healing With Concern 1822 - 1972 South Carolina Department Of Mental Health (Lower Left Medallion) The National . . . — Map (db m36118) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — South Carolina State Vietnam War Memorial
In memory of the sons and daughters of South Carolina who lost their lives in the service of their country in Vietnam. — Map (db m13489) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — South Carolina Veterans Memorial
[Flag Base]: In Honor of South Carolina Veterans of the United States Armed Forces [South Bench Inscription] Dedicated - Veterans Day November 11, 2005 United States Army United States Marine Corps United States Navy . . . — Map (db m46625) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — South Carolina Women of the Confederacy Monument
[North Face]: To The South Carolina Women Of The Confederacy 1861-1865 — Reared By The Men Of Their State 1909-11 [West face]: In this monument Generations unborn shall hear the voice Of a grateful . . . — Map (db m21928) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Spanish-American War Cannon
The cannon that was mounted on this granite base of the Spanish-American War Monument was removed in 1942 and contributed as scrap-iron for use in World War II. — Map (db m46597) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Spanish-American War Veterans Monument
[West Plaque]: Spanish War Veterans Insignia [South Plaque]: South Carolina Troops in the Spanish-American War First South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Second South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Anderson's Battery . . . — Map (db m50923) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-34 — St. Peter's Church and Ursuline Convent
First church built 1824; present church 1906. In the churchyard is buried John R. Niernsee (1823-85), Major C. S. A.; architect of the State House. Ursuline convent located SE corner Main and Blanding streets 1858-65; Valle Crucis 1865-87; . . . — Map (db m32749) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — #89001610 — St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
(Upper Medallion) American Revolution Bicentennial * Richland County Committee * Landmark 78 (Lower Medallion) National Register of Historic Places St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church South Carolina . . . — Map (db m32280) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-131 — State Dispensary Warehouse
(Front text) This building, built in 1863-64 and burned by Federal troops in 1865, was rebuilt in 1872 as a cotton batting factory and warehouse. It burned again in 1897, leaving only the outer walls. In 1898 the S.C. State Dispensary, . . . — Map (db m29844) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Strom Thurmond
[East Inscription]: A Century of Service Born December 5, 1902 in Edgefield, South Carolina, Strom Thurmond provided nearly a century of service to the Palmetto State and to this nation. Highlights of his extraordinary life include: . . . — Map (db m46598) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-83 — Sumter Street
[Front text]: A Virginia native who came to South Carolina ca. 1765, General Thomas Sumter was a leader in civil as well as military affairs. He served in the First and Second Provincial Congresses, in the S.C. General Assembly, . . . — Map (db m7651) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Taylor Burying Ground
In 1786 the State of South Carolina purchased for a part of the site of Columbia, the plantation of Col. Thomas Taylor (1743-1833), Revolutionary soldier. His house was situated near the S-E corner of Richland and Barnwell Streets, across . . . — Map (db m29870) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-81 — Taylor Street
[Front Text]: Named for the Taylor family, this street is one of the original streets in the 1786 Columbia plan. Thomas Taylor was a member of the first and second Provincial Congresses, the General Assembly, and was a trustee of S.C. . . . — Map (db m21812) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The "Columbiad" Cannon10 inch
This 10 inch Columbiad Cannon defended Charleston Harbor from 1863 until the end of the War Between the States in 1865. It has a smooth, non-rifled, bore and fires a 10 inch round ball weighing 104 pounds. The markings on this cannon tell a . . . — Map (db m51733) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-101 — The Big Apple
Originally built 1907-1910 as the House of Peace Synagogue and located 100 yards south, this building was sold in1936 and shortly thereafter became a black nightclub known as the Big Apple. A dance by this name originated here and soon swept the . . . — Map (db m21900) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The Boys of Richland County
In Memory of The Boys of Richland County who made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II Erected by the Civic Department of the Woman’s Club of Columbia Dedicated April 20, 1947 — Map (db m52272) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The Columbia (S.C.) Holocaust Memorial
זכרר Remember (Star of David) In Sacred Memory Of The 6,000,000 (Map Included) (Left Panel) During the Holocaust, 1933 - 45, six million European Jews were murdered by Nazi Germany and its . . . — Map (db m44184) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-60 — The East-West Streets In The City Of Columbia - Gervais Street
The East-West Streets In The City Of Columbia The streets of Columbia running from east to west (with a few exceptions) were named for products important in the State's economy, for the two Taylor plantations on which the new Capitol was . . . — Map (db m7487) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The Figure Eight in South Carolina
The symbolism of the number "8" in South Carolina's history and government is probably a coincidence; it began with Charles II's appointment of eight (8) Lords Proprietors for the Carolinas. They are named in the fountain placques. Then there . . . — Map (db m50936) HM

267 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 67
Paid Advertisement