HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Rockland County Markers
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Ancient Canyon
The rivers surface is sea level, and the water is 120 feet deep in the channel. Below that is an old canyon 650 feet deep filled with mud and gravel. — Map (db m54101) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Anthonys Nose
The top of the mountain across the river is 909 feet above the Hudson River. One story about the mountain’s name says the “nose” was a rocky-ledge blasted away in 1846. — Map (db m54100) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Appalachian Trail
This 2,000 mile hiker’s path from Georgia to Maine goes over the top of Bear Mountain at 1,300 feet, and down to the lowest spot on the entire trail (120 feet) at the Bear Den. — Map (db m52869) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Bear Mountain Bridge
Bear Mountain Bridge The first highway bridge to span the Hudson River south of Albany Begun March 24th 1923 – Opened Nov. 27th 1924 To all who With thought labor and loyalty have Contributed to the construction of This bridge and highway This tablet is inscribed Total length of bridge 2257 ft. Height of towers 355 ft. Diameter of cables 18 ins. Length of suspended span 1632 ft. Clear height above river 153 ft. Number of wires in each cable 7252 — Map (db m48083) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Bear Mt. Bridge
It opened in 1924. At the time it was the worlds longest suspension-bridge at 2,257 feet. It was built by the Harriman family in 1910, and sold to NYS in 1940. — Map (db m54099) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Boundaries
Four counties come together here. Your’e standing in Rockland and looking at Westchester across the river. North of the bridge is Orange County on this side, and Putnam on the other. — Map (db m54104) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Doodletown
Half a mile up this road is Doodletown, pioneer hamlet through which the British army marched to attack Ft. Clinton, 1777 — Map (db m52704) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Dunderberg Mt.
It’s at the south end of the park at an elevation of 930 feet, and is the southern gateway to the Hudson Highlands. — Map (db m54106) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — 3 — Fighting at Hessian Lake
Fighting at Hessian Lake You are walking part of the 1777 historic trail that retraces as nearly as possible the routes taken by the British army during the Revolutionary War. On October 6, 1777, Lieutenant General Sir Henry Clinton landed 2,100 British troops near Stony Point and marched north to attack the Continental garrisons at Forts Clinton and Montgomery. When it reached Doodletown, the advance guard of 900 men under Lieutenant Colonel Mungo Campbell proceeded around Bear Mountain . . . — Map (db m47833) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — First Fighting at Fort Clinton
Erected June 25 1921 When The British Attacked Forts Clinton And Montgomery Oct. 6 1777 The First Fighting Occurred Over The Outworks Located At This Point Gen. Geo. Clinton Commanded the American Forces Sir Henry Clinton Commanded the British Forces — Map (db m47777) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Fort Clinton’s Outer Redoubt
You are looking at the remains of Fort Clinton’s Outer Redoubt; it is all that survives of this Revolutionary War fort. Work on Fort Clinton began in July 1776 on the recommendation of American officers who were concerned that this high ground would compromise Fort Montgomery, which was under construction on the opposite shore of Popolopen Creek. Both forts were critical to the defense of the Hudson River Valley north of the Highlands. Work on Fort Clinton continued until British forces under . . . — Map (db m52689) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Gray’s Hill
Much of this road dates to the 18th century when it was known as Kings Road, later called The Albany Rd. and then named after the prominent Gray family who resided up the hill. The road was realigned circa 1930 to appear as it does today. — Map (db m52723) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Hudson River
From its beginning in the high peaks of the Adirondacks, to the Atlantic Ocean, the Hudson flows for 315 miles. — Map (db m54105) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Indian Campsite
The finding of knives, net sinkers, arrowpoints, scrapers and chips, indicates that the level ground in front of you was used as a campsite by Indians while on hunting and fishing expeditions. Additional artifacts, that were found here and throughout the museum area, can be seen on display in the historical museum, along with other material collected in the Bear Mountain Park area and vicinity. When making arrowpoints and other tolls, the Indians first roughly shaped their stones with . . . — Map (db m52868) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Iona Island
The land to the east of the tracks was the site of a naval annumition depot thru both World Wars and the Korean Conflict. It became NYS Parklands in 1965, and is a winter sanctuary for bald eagles. — Map (db m54107) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Outer Redoubt of Fort Clinton1776 - 1777
A redoubt is a small enclosed, heavily armed fortification built to protect a strategic location. In 1776, fearing a possible assault by land, the Americans constructed the outer redoubt on this high piece of ground. It not only commanded the main fortifications at Fort Clinton, but all the surrounding terrain from which an enemy assault might be made. On October 6th, 1777 the British stormed and captured the undermanned garrisons of Forts Clinton and Montgomery. Although the redoubt was . . . — Map (db m52701) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Palisades Interstate Park
Palisades Interstate Park Has Been Designated A Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provisions of The Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value In Commemorating and Illustrating The History of The United States U. S. Department of The Interior National Park Service 1965 — Map (db m37133) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Perkins Tower
This drive and tower are dedicated by the Commissioners of the Palisades Interstate Park to the memory of George Walbridge Perkins Their first president 1900-1920 whose broad vision and tireless energy made possible the preservation of the Palisades and the establishment of this great playground for humanity. 1934 — Map (db m65286) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Popolopen Creek Trail to Fort Montgomery
You are standing on the site of Fort Clinton, which was built along with Fort Montgomery to prevent British ships from sailing up the Hudson River during the Revolutionary War. On October 6, 1777, the British captured both forts and destroyed them shortly thereafter. This trail leads down to the Popolopen Creek and across a bridge to Fort Montgomery State Historical Site. Fort Montgomery is an archeological site and a historic ruin. Interpretive signs and an audio tour are available to help . . . — Map (db m52724) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Railroads
The CSX Railroad runs trains on the east coast from Maine to Florida & west to Chicago. It leases its tracks on the other side of the river to Amtrak for nationwide passenger service, as well as to Metro-North for commuters between Albany & NYC. You can see the trains going through three tunnels on the far shore. CSX uses the tracks below you on this side of the Hudson for freight only. — Map (db m54102) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — River Docks
The park operated a fleet of river steamers that brought millions of NYC people to Bear Mountain for recreation in the 1920’s and 30’s. The docks burned in the 1960’s and 70’s. The south dock was rebuilt in the early 1980’s. — Map (db m54108) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Scenic Road
US Routes 6 & 202 cross the bridge and head south toward Peekskill. From a roadside overlook there’s a spectacular view looking back at Bear Mountain Park. — Map (db m54103) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1887 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m47775) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — The British Attempt to Divide the Colonies during the War of Independence
In 1777, the British attempted to divide the colonies by gaining control of the Hudson Valley. This campaign ended with the first overwhelming defeat of the British army and a turning point for the American cause. General Burgoyne planned to proceed from Canada to capture Fort Ticonderoga and Albany, while General Barry St. Leger attacked through the Mohawk Valley. Burgoyne expected Sir William Howe to sail from New York City, capture Forts Clinton and Montgomery, and then continue up the . . . — Map (db m52698) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — 4 — The Historic 1777 & 1779 Trails
The Historic 1777 & 1779 Trails You are walking part of the 1777 historic trail that retraces as nearly as possible the routes taken by the British army during the Revolutionary War. The 1777 trail represents the route taken by British General Sir Henry Clinton's forces on October 6, 1777. After landing 2,100 men at Stony Point, he marched north to capture Forts Clinton and Montgomery. At Doodletown the trail splits. The east branch of the trail follows the march of forces under Sir . . . — Map (db m47832) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — 2 — The Historic 1777 & 1779 Trails
The Historic 1777 & 1779 Trails You are walking part of the 1777 historic trail that retraces as nearly as possible the routes taken by the British army during the Revolutionary War. The 1777 trail represents the route taken by British General Sir Henry Clinton's forces on October 6, 1777. After landing 2,100 men at Stony Point, he marched north to capture Forts Clinton and Montgomery. At Doodletown the trail splits. The east branch of the trail follows the march of forces under Sir . . . — Map (db m48074) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — Walt Whitman
Walt Whitman 1819 – 1892 To commemorate the gift in 1910 by Mary Wilson Harriman Making Possible The Bear Mountain-Harriman State Park Dedicated November 17, 1940   Jo Davidson, Sculptor [ Marker next to the Statue ] Walt Whitman Walt Whitman, one of America's greatest poets was born at West Hills Long Island in 1819. At an early age he left the public schools of Brooklyn and dismissed all foral education to learn the printer's trade. He later became a teacher and . . . — Map (db m47774) HM
New York (Rockland County), Bear Mountain — West Redoubt of Fort Clinton
The West Redoubt of Fort Clinton 1776 – 1777 ------- Defended with conspicuous bravery by a greatly outnumbered American Garrison under Brigadier General James Clinton ------- Captured by British Oct. 6, 1777 Destroyed Oct. 26, 1777 ------- Manhattan Chapter D.A.R. - 1940 - — Map (db m52684) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Collyer Farm Pond and New City Park
The 19th century mill pond and dam, sawmill, icehouse and farmhouse had outlived its productive days when Omley, Hansen and Hall of an American Scandinavian group discovered it in 1926. With the Depression, the summer community soon became year-round. Today, the park has a diverse population of about 200 families and the icehouse serves as their clubhouse.New City Park Club, Inc. Map (db m44210) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Congers Lake Dam
This dam, constructed in 1995, replaced an original weakened stone and earthen dam built more than a century ago to create a recreational area for the St. Rita Parish of New York City. The Dutch called this stream, an easterly branch of the Hackensack River, the Kill von Beaste (Devils Brook). First called The New Lake, the impounded waters became Lake St. Rita and finally, in the 1920s, Congers Lake. For many years this point was known as Jones Landing.Town of Clarkstown   1987 Map (db m44281) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Congers School
The Congers School opened in 1928 as a high school. Students came from as far away as West Nyack and Tappan, often traveling by train to the Congers Station. Centralization of Clarkstown’s schools resulted in the building of the Clarkstown Junior-Senior High School (later named Clarkstown North), and in June 1954 the Congers High School closed. The building underwent a transition o an elementary school. In the fall of 1954, grades K-3 were transferred from the adjacent Congers Elementary . . . — Map (db m44286) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Congers Station
In 1880 the fledgling Jersey City & Albany Railway Co. completed a track through this area on easements granted by Abraham and Mary Conger, large landholders and prominent citizens. In 1883 a new railroad timetable listed the stop as “Congers.” In 1890 the adjoining sturdy sandstone building was erected for the West Shore Railroad station, which serviced passengers until the 1950s.Charles E. Holbrook, Town of Clarkstown Map (db m44285) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Congers World War I Memorial1917       1918
This tablet is erected in honor of the men of Congers New York who served in the World War Louis Behrens • Joseph E. Chasse • Frank Conklin • G.A.R. Cropsey • James Denton • Louis G. Didion • Arthur Douglas • Howard P. Eckhart • Ralph Eckhart • Raymond C. Hague • Otto Heinsohn • Charles A. James, Jr. • Herbert Thomas James • * Raymond Boyd Jauss • Charles Kennedy • * August Kley • John Kohler • John F. Lee • George May • F. V. Mahappe • Oscar Merian • Max Miller • Theodore Newman • William . . . — Map (db m44318) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Doctor Davies Farm
This farm homestead built c. 1836 was part of a 450-acre farm extending from Rockland Lake to the Hudson River. In 1891, this portion of the farm became the home of artist Arthur Bowen Davies, a pioneer in modern art in America, and his wife, Lucy Virginia Meriwether Davies, a country doctor who practiced in Rockland for more than half a century. — Map (db m44211) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Kings Highway
This road was a main artery of travel through the county for more than two centuries, connecting Hudson River communities from New Jersey to Albany. Originally an Indian trail, it was gradually widened by fur traders, post riders, farm carts, stagecoaches and during the Revolution, the military. Still called Kings Highway in places, it has been largely by-passed by newer roads.Congers – Valley Cottage Rotary Map (db m44207) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Paul Farmhousec. 1810
The easterly section of this Dutch farmhouse was constructed by John Paul in the early 19th Century. Soon after the similar westerly addition was added resulting in a rare style of twin front door entrances. The structure, a frame of sawn heavy timber with a clapboard and sandstone exterior, was plastered on the interior and insulated with mud and straw. Successive branches of the Paul, Jones and Schueler families lived here for approximately two centuries. Clarkstown acquired it in 1990 and . . . — Map (db m44282) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — Snedeker Farm
The Snedeker family occupied this portion of the Pond Patent from c. 1730 until 1909 – about 179 years. Part of this stone house was built c. 1747 by Tunis Snedeker’s son Johannes, a captain in the colonial militia. As patriots in the Revolution, he and his son Garret were captured by the British. Johannes died in Sugar House prison in 1779; Garret was exchanged and released. In 1793 he enlarged the homestead. — Map (db m44208) HM
New York (Rockland County), Congers — St. Paul’s Church
St. Paul’s was begun in 1891 to serve local ice & quarry workers. Land was donated by John McGuiness, quarry owners donated the brick. The 1st Mass was on Easter, 1894. The old post office, bought for $485, became the rectory. St. Paul’s School began in 1961. After fire destroyed the old church, a new one was erected in 1969. A renovation was begun in 2005 and completed in 2006. St. Paul’s now serves nearly 3,000 families.The Mitlof Family “Lest we forget” Map (db m44288) HM
New York (Rockland County), Haverstraw — Andre The Spy
Andre the spy landed here September 21, 1780 — Map (db m52487) HM
New York (Rockland County), Haverstraw — Calico Hill
Calico Hill In 1789 This Site Was Purchased By The First Presbyterian Church For A Church And Cemetery. — Map (db m37057) HM
New York (Rockland County), Haverstraw — De Harte Patent
In 1666 Balthzar De Harte obtained first land grant in what is now Rockland County. U.S. Bicentennial Map (db m33217) HM
New York (Rockland County), Haverstraw — Haverstraw World War I Monument
Lest We Forget The Honored Dead Louis W. King • John Cashman Oldfield • Michael James McGuire • Richard V. Brophy • James E. Hinshelwood • Joseph A. Craven • Thomas F. Lynch, Jr. • Harold Ferguson • Herbert Matlege Schaper • Leo B. Laders • Harold B. Holt • Hugh Topping • John Frasca • Goodson Schreeder • Amasa Freeman Gurnee • Eugene Baumann, Jr. • Colozero Tronia This Monument, Hallowed by the Memory Of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice Is Gratefully Erected In Honor of . . . — Map (db m36884) HM
New York (Rockland County), Haverstraw — Treason Site
Within these woods, in the early morning hours of September 22, 1780, American General Benedict Arnold and British Major John Andre plotted the surrender of the American fortress at West Point. While attempting to return to British lines, Andre was captured by American soldiers. He was tried, convicted and hanged as a spy at Tappan on October 2, 1780. Traitor Arnold escaped and joined the British. — Map (db m52100) HM
New York (Rockland County), Monsey — Historic Monsey Cemetery
Historic Monsey Cemetery We here highly resolve that the men who fought for freedom in the wars of 1776 – 1812 – 1861 Shall not have died in vain At the coming and the setting Of the sun We shall remember them Museum of Spring Valley and Countryside Sons of the American Revolution Lions Club of Monsey Erected 1971 Plaque erected by The Lions Club of Monsey Map (db m32547) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Blauvelt Homestead
In 1832 Jacob J. and Margaret (Remsen) Blauvelt built the main section of this Dutch Colonial-style farmhouse. Jacob was a farmer, inspector of common schools, a justice of the peace for the Town of Clarkstown and an officer in the 83rd Regiment of Infantry, N.Y.S. Militia. The Dutch-Anglo barn was built between 1840 and 1870. In 1741 Jacob's great-grandfather Jacob A. Blauvelt purchased 300 acres within what was then the Kakiat Patent. His grandfather Jacob Ja. acquired the northern half of . . . — Map (db m73064) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — In Grateful Recognition
In Grateful Recognition Of Those Who Served In The Armed Forces Of The United States Of America During The Korean And Vietnam Conflicts Compatriots And Friends Of The Stony Point Chapter SAR Shatemuc Chapter DAR November 11, 1983 — Map (db m32554) WM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Jacob Blauvelt House1834
Built on lands belonging to the Blauvelt Family from 1741 to 1970 when it was acquired by the Historical Society of Rockland County Presented by Daniel De Clerque Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists — Map (db m21380) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Martinus Hogenkamp Cemetery
This cemetery, named after an early owner of the land, began in the 18th century as a family or community burial ground. Abandoned and forgotten, it was rescued by the Martinus Hogenkamp Cemetery Association. Several stones are inscribed in Dutch, the language of many Rockland colonists. Nine soldiers of the American Revolution and five of the Civil War are buried here.The Martinus Hogenkamp Cemetery Association was established in 1916 and incorporated in 1931. Map (db m44209) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — New City World War I Monument
In Grateful Recognition Of The Services Of These Sons Of New City To Their Town, Their Country And The World. 1917 – 1919 Anderson, Raymond • Bardon, Chris. S • Biehl, Henry • Blauvelt, William • Carnoghan, Fred G. • Carnoghan, G. M. • Chubb, Harold • Cordwell, George • Crum, Harold H. • Davis, Blanch • Debevoise, W. Edwin • Eberling, Raymond • Egge, Albert • Eldridge, John S. • Foley, Richard • Gibbons, Bernard • Goebel, Arthur C. • Hall, Albert • Hujus, Roy • *Kerr, Albert • Kerr, . . . — Map (db m32555) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — New Hempstead Presbyterian Church
Founded 1734 New Hempstead Presbyterian called the English Church by Dutch Settlers. Rebuilt 1827. Washington’s troops camped on this ground. — Map (db m44220) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Rockland County Court House
Rockland County Court House Our forebears commitment to the rule of law was manifested in the first court house built in Tappan in 1691. In 1774 a small frame court house was constructed on this more convenient site, replaced in 1827 by a larger brick building. This present seat of justice, erected in 1928 was rededicated on September 17, 1987, in celebration of the 200th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution. Rockland County Commission on the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution Map (db m32552) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Rockland County Korea - World War II - Vietnam Monument
[ left plaque ] Korea Ablondi, Bruno • Augenblick, Ira • Baker, Philip T. • Brown, Robert A. Caputo, Louis • Cervene, Sam J. • Cook, Jr., Henry Wm. • De Freese, Samuel W. • De Groat, Roland • Duhaime, Louis S. • Freytag, Peter D. • Flotard, Raymond • Herring, William • Hirshberger, Alex • Horn, Charles • Keenan, Gregory • Laydon, Robert • Lucas, William H. • Mackey, John R. • Mc Grath, Edmund • North, Norman P. • Osborne, James • Smith, James N. • Tyrell, Stanley • Van Dunk, . . . — Map (db m32549) WM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Rockland County Law Enforcement Memorial
[ east side ] In Memory Of Those Law Enforcement Officers, Residents Of Rockland County Who Dedicated And Sacrificed Their Lives In The Line Of Duty Constable John Cahill – Aug. 19, 1905 Haverstraw Village Police Department Det. William F. Conklin – Sept. 16, 1971 Clarkstown Police Department P.O. Michael J. Reedy – Aug. 2, 1973 Orangetown Police Department P.O. Francis J. Donato – Aug. 28, 1980 New York State Park Police Chief William J. . . . — Map (db m32551) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Rockland County Veterans Monument
[ inscription on the granite base ] Erected By The People Of Rockland County In Grateful Appreciation Of The Noble Sacrifice Of These Sons And Daughters Who Gave Their Lives In The World War 1914-1918 Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends [ east plaque ] Bauman Eugene • Blauvelt Charles R. • Blauvelt Raymond O. • Bowers Fred L. • Brophy Richard • Campbell Florence Wanda • Clark George W. • Conway Michael • Cook . . . — Map (db m32548) WM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Snedekers Landing
Early in the 19th century the Snedeker family’s landing on the Hudson shore below came into use for local shipping. In 1845 the Snedekers established a shipyard with marine railway for repairing brickyard vessels and a dock for scheduled steamboats. The entire yard was demolished by fire in 1854 and abandoned. Later, during the Conger family ownership, it became known as Waldberg Landing. Charles E. Holbrook, Supervisor, Town of Clarkstown – 1980 Map (db m33212) HM
New York (Rockland County), New City — The English Meeting House
Erected by the Rockland County Society to commemorate the establishment of the New Hempstead Presbyterian Church as the second religious organization in the present County of Rockland, New York. This church was founded a few years after 1713, when New Hempstead was settled by people of English descent from Hempstead, Long Island, N.Y. In the beginning, the congregation probably met in a log schoolhouse known to have been raised on this corner by the pioneer inhabitants. The first church was . . . — Map (db m44223) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — 1 Mile To Nyack
Erected by the Rockland County Society To commemorate the opening of the Nyack Turnpike Between Nyack and Suffern The first direct highway across the County of Rockland and the first important public work undertaken therin by private enterprise. The Nyack Turnpike Road Company was incorporated by act of the New York Legislature April 17th, 1816. When a new charter was granted, April 20th, 1830, the following men – the projectors and founders of the Nyack Turnpike were . . . — Map (db m33648) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — First Reformed Church of Nyack
Ca. 1830 a group of local residents of Dutch Reformed faith began holding private religious services in Nyack. They built their first small church on this site in 1836 and in 1853 incorporated as The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Nyack. The building was enlarged in 1851 and again in 1871. In 1901 the old structure was replaced by the present brick church with landmark bell and clock tower. — Map (db m44226) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Historic Underground Railroad
At this crossroads stood the home of the Edward Hesdra Family. This home is believed to have been a link in the underground slave railway, c1855. — Map (db m18690) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Historic Underground Railroad
In the mid 1800’s, waterways such as the Nyack Brook, which flows here, served as important land-marks for African American slaves escaping North along the ‘Underground Railroad’ Joseph Mitolf Family ‘Lest we forget’ Map (db m44218) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Historic Upper Nyack FirehouseErected 1887
This building, home of Empire Hook and Ladder Company no. 1 has, in recognition of its architectural significance, and under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior, effective September 1982.---------------- Presented by the Upper Nyack Village Board George C. Cardona, Mayor H. Russell Drowne IV             John M. Stockmeyer A Ralph Bartolacci             Peter . . . — Map (db m44313) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Hopper House
Birthplace and boyhood home of the eminent realist painter Edward Hopper (1882-1967). The Hoppers’ forebears came from Holland in 1652, and the artist’s grandfather built this house in 1858. After graduating from Nyack High School, Hopper moved to New York but returned to the family home throughout his life. Local citizens saved the house in 1970 and formed the Edward Hopper Landmark Preservation Foundation. Hopper lies buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.Nyack Rotary Club Map (db m44206) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Nyack First Settlement
The Tappan Indians, from time immemorial, occupied these lands fronting on the river shore. Here, in summer, they lived upon the fish and oysters which the waters produced in abundance. In the Algonkian dialect, spoken by them, they called this localityNay – Ack which, being translated, means The Fishing Place * * * * * * * * * * * * * The First Settlement of white people within the limits of the present Rockland County, New York took place in 1675when Harman Dowesen . . . — Map (db m44310) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Oak Hill Cemetery
This nonsectarian cemetery was dedicated on June 27, 1848 before a crowd of 3,000 people. The establishment of the cemetery reflected a transition from small family or religious cemeteries. Oak Hill Cemetery has been enlarged several times and occupies 65 acres. It is the final resting place of the founders of Nyack and other area families, including veterans, artists, writers, and scientists, among many others. Earlier burials from some small local cemeteries were transferred here. — Map (db m18274) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Old Stone Church
Placed by the Rockland County Society to mark the oldest building dedicated to God’s service now standing in the County of Rockland, New York ----- this ----- “Old Stone Church” was erected in the year 1813 by a newly organized Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, formed in Upper Nyack. Church lot was granted February 18th 1813, to the first Board of Trustees constituted as follows: William Palmer        John Green        James Palmer Nicholas Williamson                Garret . . . — Map (db m44304) HM
New York (Rockland County), Nyack — Rockland Brink's Robbery
Rockland Brink's Robbery On October 20, 1981, a three-year crime spree in the New York Metropolitan area came to an end at this site. Members of the Weather Underground, a radical domestic terrorist group, robbed a Brink's armored car at the Nanuet Mall. Using high-powered weapons, they stole 1.6 million dollars, and shot and killed security guard Peter Paige. At this entrance to the New York State Thruway, the Nyack Police Department set up a roadblock and was ambushed by the assailants. A . . . — Map (db m33649) HM
New York (Rockland County), Orangeburg — Colonial Orangetown
The “Towne of Orange” formed in the Tappan Patent grant of 1686-7 became the seat of provincial government of all Orange County, established in 1683, which then included this area, south of the mountains, set off as Rockland County in 1798. The name Orange was chosen by the colonial custom of honoring members of the royal family.The Orangetown Tricentennial Committee   1988 Map (db m43777) HM
New York (Rockland County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg World War I Monument
In Honor of the Men Of Orangeburg, N.Y. Who Served Their Country 1917 World War 1918 *Charles Krebs   *Benjamin Logatto *Archie Engles Petro Antonio • Albert Aluise • John Buhler • Frank Edsall • Robert Edsall • James Havey • Clarence Keiser • Albert O. Krauser • Philip Krebs • Sylvia Logatto • James F. McCarthy • Edward J. Miller • Alfred Scott • Ichabod Scot • William B. Scott • Whitney D. Sherman • Elbert W. Sherman • Frank Stattner • Joseph Stattner • Stephen Vajda • Jane . . . — Map (db m77101) WM
New York (Rockland County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg World War II Memorial
In Lasting Tribute To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice Louis Casazza   James E. Drake   Thomas Linek In Honor Of Those Who Served Rev. William S. Ackerman • Rev. Francis J. Stauback • Rev. Lafayette W. Yarwood • George J. Adams • Andrew Aitchison • Francis Armstrong • Anthony Amadio • John H. Barnum, Jr. • Bert Bedard • Edgar W. Blakeney • George Buhler • Edward J. Bullwinkle, Jr. • John Buseck • Angelo Cassetta • Joseph Casetta • Michael Casetta • James P. Celetano • John J. . . . — Map (db m77104) WM
New York (Rockland County), Palisades — Skunk Hollow
Skunk Hollow or, “the mountain,” was a free black community from 1806-1905. The first known deed dated 1806 belonged to Jack Earnest from Palisades. In 1841, William Thompson, an African Methodist Episcopal itinerant preacher bought Jack’s house, built a church on his land, and became resident preacher. Over one hundred families lived in Skunk Hollow including Brown, Oliver, Sisco, Thompson, Williams and others. — Map (db m8630) HM
New York (Rockland County), Sloatsburg — Ramapo ValleyHistoric New York
          The steep, barren Ramapo Mountains, with elevations of less than 1300 feet, isolated this region from the mainstream of developments in the Hudson Valley. The Ramapo River, flowing from Round Lake near Monroe into New Jersey, provided a natural route through the mountains, and the path of a Delaware Indian trail. Permanent settlement in the valley, beginning about 1710, was slow until after 1740.           During the American Revolution, American forces defended the strategic . . . — Map (db m56696) HM
New York (Rockland County), Sloatsburg — Sloat House & Inn
Original house built around 1755 by Ramapo Pass pioneer, Stephen Sloat. It served as a command post under captain Sloat to prevent British troops from moving north through the pass. The Sloat family also operated an inn offering lodging and meals, first to the continental troops, including General George Washington. After the Revolutionary War, the inn served travelers through the Ramapo pass. From 1798-1821 it was also a meeting hall for the supervisors of Orange and Rockland counties. The . . . — Map (db m64693) HM
New York (Rockland County), South Nyack — Carson McCullers1917 – 1967
Carson McCullers, writer and dramatist, made this house her home from 1945 to her death on September 29, 1967. Born in Columbus, Ga., on February 19, 1917, she achieved fame with The Heart is a Lonely Hunter 1940 and Reflections in a Golden Eye 1941. In this house she completed The Member of the Wedding 1946, The Ballad of the Sad Café 1951, Clock Without Hands 1961, and other plays, short stories, poetry and autobiographical works. “They are . . . — Map (db m44279) HM
New York (Rockland County), South Nyack — Couch Court
Built in 1854 for A. J. Storms of the Storms Tub & Pail Factory. 1875-1882 home of Edwin Stillwell, Captain of the Nyack-Tarrytown Ferry. Purchased 1885 by the Couch Family. Dr. Louis Couch used the tower for his Homeopathic practice. Daughter Natalie, a law clerk for Judge Arthur S. Tompkins, became the County’s 1st woman attorney. “Couch Court” served as law offices and Town Hall of Orangetown from 1942-1951.Sponsored by Karen E. Acker Map (db m44276) HM
New York (Rockland County), Sparkill — Gravesite of General John Charles Frémont1813 – 1890 — Explorer, Pathmarker, Mapper of the Oregon Trail
Atop Rockland Cemetery lies the grave of he whose exploration in the 1840s opened the way west for countless settlers, who issued the first Emancipation Proclamation and who saved the west for the Union in 1861. From the ashes of his campfires have sprung cities. Jessie Benton Frémont Erected by the Friends of Frémont, May 1989, on the occasion of the restoration of the Frémont gravesite. — Map (db m8606) HM
New York (Rockland County), Sparkill — John Charles FremontRear Admiral U.S. Navy
Born   April 19, 1851 – Died   March 7, 1911 A brilliant Officer and a successful commander holding more independent commands during his life time than any of his contemporaries. The United States ships Pinta, Drift, Culgoa, torpedo boats Cushing abd Porter, Monitor Florida, Battleship Mississippi Naval attaché to France and Russia Commandant of Navy Yards at Cavite, P.I. and Boston, Mass. — Map (db m42561) HM
New York (Rockland County), Sparkill — John Charles FremontCaptain United States Navy (Ret’d)
Born   February 26, 1880 Died   October 13, 1957 A brilliant Officer and a successful commander Served in Spanish-American War on U.S.S. St. Louis Later saw service in China Squadron In World War I served with distinction in command of destroyer squadrons from Queenstown, Ireland Awarded Navy Cross Advisory Member Shipping Section. Supreme Economic Council, Treaty of Versailles Awarded Officer of Legion of Honor by France In World War II Supervisor Third Naval District — Map (db m42563) HM
New York (Rockland County), Spring Valley — Brick ChurchProtestant Dutch Church of Kakeath (Kakiat)
Estab. 1774 as Prot. Dutch Reformed Church of Kakeath on land from Teunis Cuyper. Initial church built 1778. Present church built 1856. — Map (db m27678) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — "I … imagined them to be British Troops, but found my mistake by being wounded and taken prisoner."
During the night of the attack, Captain Francis Tew was stationed near the abatis with four companies of the 17th Regiment, part of the total British garrison of 564 men. On this spot, a small defensive position called flech #2 had been constructed, and contained two Cohorn mortars – weapons which fired explosive shells in a high arc – to guard the approach to the Outer Works. Stony Point was bounded on the west by a marsh that turned the peninsula into an island at high tide. At . . . — Map (db m11632) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — “… the enemy entered the upper work at the barrier at the same time I did.”
Here, by the innermost abatis, a British eight-inch howitizer – an artillery weapon that could hurl a 45-pound explosive shell a distance of 1900 yards – was aimed towards the shallow waters of Haverstraw Bay to guard the southern flank of Stony Point. However, the main American assault column captured the weapon before it could be loaded or fired. Lieutenant John Roberts of the Royal Artillery arrived at this battery just as it fell into American hands: “ … I concluded . . . — Map (db m11643) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — “… with the greatest Intrepidity and coolness.”
Near this location passed the north column of 300 American Light Infantry, commanded by Colonel Richard Butler of Pennsylvania. On the rocky height in front of you was the Flagstaff Battery, which mounted a 12-pounder cannon. This weapon, like many of the others in the Upper Works, was kept unloaded at night, and could not have been lowered enough to fire on infantry below. Both Light Infantry columns were preceded by a select group of men known as a “forlorn hope,” whose mission . . . — Map (db m11660) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — “By the light occasioned by the flash of the gun I could perceive a body of them...”
Fleche #1 was situated on this hill, and mounted a brass 12-pounder cannon (one which fired a 12-pound ball) under the command of Lieutenant William Horndon, of the Royal Artillery. Horndon was unaware that the shots from Major Murfree’s Light Infantry, who were firing in the center and approaching from the west, were a diversion for the two other American columns advancing around both flanks. Lt. Horndon later described his experience at a British court-martial: … I heard a great firing . . . — Map (db m11635) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — “For God’s sake, why is the Artillery here not being made use of?”
In front of you is the Upper Works, and inside were two flank batteries, each with large ship guns. Lieutenant John Roberts of the Royal Artillery went to the left battery, nearest the bay, after the first shots of the attack were fired: Captain Clayton, seeing that I belonged to the Artillery said “For God’s sake, why is the Artillery here not being made use of? The enemy are in the hollow and crossing the water!” I replied that the ammunition was not come up, and had it . . . — Map (db m11646) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — “The fort and garrison, with Col. Johnson, are ours.”
You are now inside the remains of the Upper Works. Within 15 minutes of each other, the two columns of American Light Infantry converged on the flanks of these fortifications. Lieutenant Colonel Francois de Fleury, a French engineer and professional soldier serving in the Continental Army, was the first man into the Upper Works, and, upon entering the Flagstaff Battery, struck the enemy colors. Later, de Fleury became the only European to receive a medal from Congress during the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m11649) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — 17th British Regiment of Foot
British War Veterans of America, Inc. New York Branch of the British Legion erected this plaque to perpetuate the memories of men of the 17th British Regiment of Foot who died near this spot defending the Stony Point fortification against General Wayne’s American Light Infantry on the night of July 15/16, 1779. “They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn at the going down of the sun and in the morning we shall remember . . . — Map (db m11621) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — British Defenses: The Outer Works
After cutting down most of the trees at Stony Point to reduce cover for potential attackers and create a “field of fire” for artillery, the British constructed two sets of fortifications – the Outer Works, located near the present museum building – and the Upper Works, an unenclosed, incomplete fort located closer to the river and comprised of earth and rock formations. Both works were situated on rugged terrain that afforded commanding views. The British navy also . . . — Map (db m11626) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — British Defenses: The Upper Works
The Upper Works was the main British defensive position. As in the Outer Works, an abatis spanned the width of the peninsula. Included in the abatis were artillery positions, but these weapons, mostly heavy ship guns, were intended for long-range, daytime targets and were kept unloaded at night when an attack was not considered likely. The guns were also extremely cumbersome. Brigadier General James Pattison described the difficulty of hauling cannon to the summit of Stony Point when the . . . — Map (db m11642) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Capture of Stony Point
This tablet is to commemorate the heroic capture of the fortress of Stony Point by troops of the Light Infantry under the command of Maj. Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne the night of July 15-16, 1779 Erected by the Jewish War Veterans of America, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.A., American Legion and the Military Order of the Purple Heart of Rockland County, New York November 11, 1960 — Map (db m11617) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Commerce and the Hudson River
The Hudson River has always been a major avenue of New York State’s economy. During the 19th century, many industries, large and small, sprang up along its shores. To the south of Stony Point, beds of rich clay near Haverstraw Bay were utilized to make 150 million bricks per year by 1860. Tompkins Cove, north of Stony Point, became the center of a large quarrying operation, which in the mid-19th century produced one million bushels of lime yearly. Commercial sailing ships were seen on the . . . — Map (db m11695) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Fraser’s Highlanders
On the rise in front of you was located fleche #3, where the British had placed a brass 12-pounder cannon and two 5 and ½-inch mortars, called Royals, to defend the right flank of the outer abatis. In addition, two Grenadier companies of the 71st Highland Regiment (Fraser’s Highlanders), commanded by Captain Lawrence Robert Campbell, were posted near this location and were among the first troops to respond to the American attack. Fraser’s Highlanders were members of one of the most famous . . . — Map (db m11681) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — King’s Ferry
Here the American and French armies, under Generals Washington and Rochambeau, crossed the Hudson River in August 1781 enroute to capture Cornwallis in Yorktown, Va. N.Y.S. Organization Daughters of the American Revolution Map (db m8227) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — King’s Ferry
Below you, between Stony Point and Verplanck’s Point on the opposite shore, the Hudson River narrows to a width of three-quarters of a mile. All travelers, Continental Army troops, supplies, communications, both military and civil, passing between New England and the states to the south, had to cross the river at King’s Ferry to avoid the British forces occupying New York City during the Revolutionary War. In early June 1779, at Verplanck’s Point, 70 North Carolina soldiers defended Fort . . . — Map (db m11690) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Opportunities Missed and Taken
“I was surprised when I viewed in the morning the difficulties our troops surmounted,”     wrote Captain Champion. “This piece of ground was fortified by all British art and industry ….” However, a night attack had undermined the effectiveness of most of these defenses, and high winds had prevented the British navy from coming to the aid of the embattled redcoats, Lightballs, or flares, had been prepared, and a signal rocket was on hand . . . — Map (db m11653) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point 9-11 Memorial
The Charles R. Lewis VFW Post Is Proud To Honor All the Victims Who Perished on 9/11/01 in the WTC Especially The Five Victims From Stony Point Janet Alonso Robert McCarthy Luke Nee Gerald O'Leary Thomas Schoales God Bless Them In Heaven — Map (db m37058) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Battlefield
In July 1779, American Light Infantry, under Brigadier General Anthony Wayne, launched a midnight assault, capturing a British Fort and its defenders. N.Y.S. Organization Daughters of the American Revolution Map (db m8216) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Battlefield
Stony Point Battlefield has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1962 — Map (db m11619) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site
On the night of July 15-16, 1779, Brigadier General Anthony Wayne of Pennsylvania led the American Light Infantry in a midnight assault against a British force that had occupied Stony Point. Approximately one hour later, the garrison had been captured by two American columns that had outflanked the front line defenses; the main assault column waded through the shallow waters of Haverstraw Bat on the south, while a secondary column approached around the north side of the peninsula. In 1826, . . . — Map (db m11708) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Battlefield Today
In the early 20th century, a number of stone structures were constructed here by the American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society. After the State purchased the site in 1897, the administration was turned over to the Society and the site opened to the public as a park in 1902. Before automobile travel was common, many visitors arrived at Stony Point by excursion steamer. Stony Point Battlefield is now a State Historic Site administered by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and . . . — Map (db m11663) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Cannon Memorial1779 - 1997
From the Revolutionary soldier led by General Anthony Wayne in the Battle of Stony Point and to all past wars this cannon memorial is dedicated to all veterans living and deceased who have fought bravely to preserve our independence and everlasting freedom Battle of Stony Point July 15-16, 1779 Charles R. Lewis         V.F.W. Post 8997 Stony Point     New York — Map (db m33069) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point State Park
Left Tablet: Stony Point A British Outpost commanding the King’s Ferry Assaulted and taken July 15-16, 1779 by the Corps of light infantry commanded by Anthony Wayne Renamed Fort Wayne Acquired by the State of New York 1897 The American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society custodians. Right Tablet: The Society Daughters of the Revolution of the State of New York erected this gateway gratefully commemorating the sacrifices of patriots for American Independence and their gallant . . . — Map (db m8257) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Veterans Monument
1776 – 1976 Dedicated to all veterans living and dead of all American wars who fought to ensure this great country’s freedom — Map (db m33071) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Stony Point Veterans Monument
WW I   1917 – 1918 In Flanders Field Loved and Were Loved And Now We Lie In Flanders Field By John McCrea The War to End All Wars President Woodrow Wilson WW II   1941 – 1945 Pearl Harbor Dec. 7th 1941 A Day That Will Live In Infamy We Will Prevail President F.D.R. Korea   1950 – 1954 The Forgotten War All Gave Some Some Gave All Freedom Is Not Free Vietnam   1965 – 1973 A Field Of Fire A Wall Of Tears A . . . — Map (db m37059) WM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The American Strategy
In reaction to Sir Henry Clinton’s move against Stony Point, the Continental Army marched north from New Jersey, to protect West Point, and a plan was devised to counter the British advance. Apprised of the formidable British defenses at Stony Point by Captain Allan McLane, and American officer who had gained entrance to the enemy fort, General Washington determined that a frontal attack in daylight would most likely fail. Consequently, a night assault, to be led by Brigadier General Anthony . . . — Map (db m11629) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The Appalachian Trail
The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, designated a linear National Park by the 1968 National Trails System Act, is a continuous, marked public footpath extending approximately 2,144 miles from Mount Katahdin, Maine to Springer Mountain, Georgia along the Appalachian Mountain range. It maintains a wilderness character by following the scenic ridges of the Appalachian Mountain ranges of the White, Green, Berkshire, Ramapo, Kittatinny, Blue Ridge, Great Smoky and Nantahala Mountains. The . . . — Map (db m29869) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The Battle’s Aftermath
Although Stony Point and Verplanck’s Point became a focus of British strategy in 1779, they had shown interest in the Hudson Highlands before. On October 6, 1777, the British had landed here and attacked Forts Clinton and Montgomery, seven miles to the north, withdrawing two weeks later, after sailing up the Hudson River and burning the city of Kingston. On May 30, 1779, the British returned. Six thousand troops left New York City, by land and water, and moved toward Stony Point. The next day, . . . — Map (db m11668) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The British Occupy Stony Point
In late May 1779, a British force of more than 6000 men captured the Hudson River and the small American fort at Verplanck’s Point on the opposite shore. These strategic locations guarded the southern entrance to the Hudson Highlands. The British also took possession of King’s Ferry, which crossed between these two peninsulas and gave the Americans a direct route between New England and the states to the south. Having thus improved their access to a vital maritime highway – the Hudson . . . — Map (db m11624) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The Lighthouse at Stony Point
In the 19th century, improved navigational aids were required, as the number of commercial vessels increased. In 1825, the Erie Canal was opened, allowing ships to sail from the Great lakes to the Atlantic Ocean by way of the Hudson River, a tidal estuary as far north as Albany. The following year – 1826 – the United States Lighthouse Service built the Stony Point lighthouse to warn ships of the narrowing of Haverstraw Bay at the southern end of the Hudson Highlands. Eight oil . . . — Map (db m11693) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The Palisades Interstate Parkway Scenic Byway Corridor
It Began with a Boom Just over a century ago, more than a thousand cubic yards of the Palisades Cliffs were being blasted away every day for a growing New York in need of roads and foundations. The constant explosions could be felt and heard for miles, and a cloud of dust hung over the entire area. What began as an effort by New York’s wealthiest families to preserve their views from across the river quickly attracted the interest of New York Governor Theodore Roosevelt and New Jersey . . . — Map (db m44589) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — Washington Tree
On this site stood the walnut tree where under its branches Gen. George Washington paid his troops. 1779 — Map (db m33209) HM
New York (Rockland County), Suffern — Horse Watering Trough
Located at the center of Laffayette & Orange Avenue in the Late 1800’s. Built at the Hillburn Granite Quarry, by James Rice Sr., father of James Rice Mayor of Suffern for 16 years. Donated by: The Mayor and the Zeck Family Suffern Chamber Restoration Program — Map (db m24981) HM
New York (Rockland County), Suffern — Rochambeau’s Encampment1781 – 1782
After crossing the Hudson, Commander-in-chief of the French army in America, General Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau, encamped here with his 5000 troops en route from Newport, R.I. to Virginia. Joining with Gen. Washington, the two armies hurried to Yorktown and forced the surrender of the besieged British General Cornwallis October 19, 1781. This devastating blow proved to be the final battle of the American Revolution. A year later the French troops returned and Suffern’s Tavern again served as . . . — Map (db m25761) HM
New York (Rockland County), Suffern — Soldier’s Monument
The ground at this intersection, “Historic Crossroads of the American Revolution,” had long been a grassy triangle. In 1908 Charles E. Suffern gave the village this cannon, and the stone wall was built around it. Some residents, disliking the new triangle, nicknamed it “Porter’s Fort” after the mayor and tried to have it removed. In 1921 the soldier’s statue was erected. The names of those who served our country since World War I are listed. Suffern Chamber of Commerce Map (db m24978) HM
New York (Rockland County), Suffern — Suffern’s Tavern
Erected     Oct. 4, 1924 Site of Suffern’s Tavern a noted hostelry of the Revolution Headquarters of • General • George Washington • July 15th to 20th, 1777 • Headquarters of Colonel Aaron Burr commanding the troops guarding the Ramapo Pass — Map (db m24974) HM
New York (Rockland County), Suffern — This Cannon “Independence” 1776 – 1908
This cannon “Independence” used at the Battle of Long Island, Aug. 27th, 1776, was purchased by the Union Hill Association in 1851 and presented by the only surviving member, Chas. E. Suffern, to the Village of Suffern on April 23rd, 1908. — Map (db m24973) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — “76 House”
Where Major John Andre, British spy, plotter with Arnold, to deliver West Point, was confined before his execution. — Map (db m7304) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Andre Monument
On the hill south is the site of the gallows where Major John Andre, British spy, was hanged, and buried, on Oct. 2, 1780. — Map (db m59755) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — André Monument
Here died, October 2, 1780, Major John Andre of the British Army who, entering the American lines on a secret mission to Benedict Arnold for the surrender of West Point, was taken prisoner, tried and condemned as a spy. His death, though according to the stern Code of War, moved even his enemies to pity and both armies mourned the fate of one so young and so brave. In 1821, his remains were removed to Westminster Abbey a hundred years after his execution. This stone was placed above the spot . . . — Map (db m59756) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Bear Mountain & Harriman Trails
Trails of the Bear Mountain – Harriman Parks Bear Mountain – Harriman State Park’s trail system is an extensive web of paths, trails and old roads that satisfy the hiker seeking natural beauty and a quiet escape. While the best known of these is the Appalachian Trail, within the 80-square-mile area of the Bear Mountain – Harriman State Parks and set amid the scenic Hudson Highlands, lies a network of hundreds of miles of marked trails of great variety. [ Sidebars . . . — Map (db m53753) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Blauvelt House1835-36
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Occupancy Karl Kirchner 1936 — Map (db m52955) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — De Wint House
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1966 — Map (db m7289) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — De Wint House
Washington’s Headquarters Sept. 28-Oct. 2, 1780, during the trial of Andre, British spy, plotter with Benedict Arnold. — Map (db m7294) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — DeWint House
This house served as General Washington’s headquarters during Major John André’s trial and in 1783, when Sir Guy Carleton visited to plan the evacuation of New York City. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m8710) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Dr. Morris Bartow House1835
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Restored by Edward & Molly Samett 1993 — Map (db m52954) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Grave Markers from Slave Burial Grounds
It has been documented that the earliest settlers of the Tappan Patent owned slaves; indeed, Daniel DeClark owned two slaves when he lived on this site. These grave stones are attributed to a cemetery on farm land, once owned by the Mann family, located two miles to the east where the Palisades Interstate Parkway now intersects Oak Tree Road. These grave stones, marked simply with one to three letters, identified enslaved persons, probably of African descent, who worked on the Mann Farm. . . . — Map (db m7894) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Hickory Hill Cooperative
Here in 1950 a group of WWII G.I. Bill student-veterans from Shanks Village planned and built a community of homes cooperatively on McGillicuddy’s farmland. Houses and road were sited to preserve the natural environs. Low on funds, each family worked 1000 hours on neighbors’ houses. Recreational facilities were created on common land. In 1981 townhouses for seniors and a community house were built on an adjacent site. Earlier and later families have continued the cooperative tradition. — Map (db m52951) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Mill Stone
This is the Bottom or Grinding Stone from a grist mill in nearby Ramapo, Rockland County, New York. Two rotating wheels, turned by water power, ground corn and wheat kernels into flour. A gift of R.W. Harry Sky George Washington Masonic Historic Site Committee 1995 In Loving Memory of his wife Natalie Sky — Map (db m7446) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Reformed Dutch Church of Tappan
Organized 1694 Used as a military hospital and prison during the Revolution. The trials of Major John Andre as a spy, and of Joshua Heit Smith for treason, were held here in 1780. — Map (db m7375) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Salix Babylonica - Weeping Willow
The Weeping Willow Tree you see is a shoot from what was recorded as the largest Weeping Willow Tree in the entire United States. The original tree was toppled by a storm on July 13, 1987. Legend has it that the original tree was planted at the time of the trial of Major John Andre or three years later when General Washington met here with Sir Carleton. The original tree measured 94 feet across its crown and stood approximately 76 feet tall. The trunk measured 27 feet 2 inches at . . . — Map (db m7443) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Tappan World War I Memorial
“Lest we forget” ♦ ♦ 1917 – 1918 ♦ ♦ Charles Ahrens • Gilbert Bell • Bonnard Blakeney • Gordon Blakeney • Harry Buckland • Joseph Grandell • George Garrecht • Samuel Gifford • Russell Goodyear • Jerome Hanley • George Hansen • Joseph Hansen • Henry Haire • Charles Haire • Charles Herterich • Kenneth Jones • Emil Klein • William Kunz • Joseph Mack • Lynn Morgan • Robert Parsell • Leslie Pogose • George Post • P. Adam Rechel • William Rickborn • Edward . . . — Map (db m52957) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — The De Wint House
Dedicated to the American people as a shrine of Patriotism, an altar of Citizenship and a Memorial to George Washington, a great Mason, a great American. May 1, 1932. M.W.Charles H. Johnson Grand Master of Masons State of New York — Map (db m7317) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — The First Courthouse
A log structure, with whipping posts and stocks, was erected on this Tappan green C. 1691. Here justice was administered to all of Orange County, which then included present Rockland. A more permanent courthouse and "gaol," built in 1739, was destroyed by fire in 1774. New City became the seat of government when the County of Rockland was set off from Orange in 1798. — Map (db m8542) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — The Manse
Built 1726, Domine Samuel Verbryck lived here during Revolution. He was friend of Washington. He founded Rutgers College, N.J. — Map (db m8639) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — The Old ‘76 HouseMabie’s Tavern 1752
Site of the signing of the Orangetown Resolutions 1774 and the incarceration of British Spy Major John Andre 1780 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Restored in 1987 by Robert Norden — Map (db m52950) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — The Palisades Interstate Parkway Scenic Byway Corridor
It Began with a Boom Just over a century ago, more than a thousand cubic yards of the Palisades Cliffs were being blasted away every day for a growing New York in need of roads and foundations. The constant explosions could be felt and heard for miles, and a cloud of dust hung over the entire area. What began as an effort by New York’s wealthiest families to preserve their views from across the river quickly attracted the interest of New York Governor Theodore Roosevelt and New Jersey . . . — Map (db m53741) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — This House was Occupied by General George Washington
This House was occupied by General George Washington as Army Headquarters on four occasions during the Revolutionary War. ******** Here the General in 1780, after reviewing the evidence in the case of Major John Andre, Adjunct General of the British Army, approved the report of a Board of General Officers condemning Andre to suffer death as a spy. ******** Here, on the conclusion of peace in 1783, the British Commander-in-Chief, General Sir Guy Charleton, was . . . — Map (db m7316) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Trial of Andre
The British spy Andre, was found guilty, in the Dutch Church which stood, in 1780, on the side of this edifice. — Map (db m7306) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Washington and Carleton Meeting
Commemorating the 200th anniversary of the meetings between General George Washington and General Sir Guy Carleton at Tappan and aboard H.M.S. Perseverance. Jointly by the Historical Society of Rockland County and Tappantown Historical Society. Dedicated May 15, 1983 — Map (db m7291) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tappan — Washington’s Flag1775
This is a Reproduction of the Personal Flag used by General George Washington, the Commander-In-Chief during the Revolutionary War. Presented by R.W. Ronald J. Steiner, Chairman, George Washington Masonic Historic Site Committee, In memory of his father, Brother Morton Steiner — Map (db m7442) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tomkins Cove — Buckberg Mountain
Here Generals Washington and Wayne, surveyed the British fort on Stony Point and panned the victory Of July 15-16, 1779 — Map (db m63946) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tompkins Cove — Hudson River Reserve Fleet
This plaque commemorates the hudson river national defense reserve fleet moored at this point in the river from April 1946 to April 1971. At peak of activity, 189 WW II cargo and passenger ships were anchored here. These ships after heroic WW II service were retained here for possible further need. During years of grain surplus they acted as floating silos. Many were called upon again to carry food, fuel and other essential supplies to aid our overseas friends and to support our armed forces . . . — Map (db m36882) HM
New York (Rockland County), Tompkins Cove — Wayne -Washington Lookout
From this site Generals Washington and Wayne planned the storming of Stony Point — Map (db m63718) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Haverstraw — Col. A. H. Hay
On this site stood the home of Colonel A. Hawkes Hay – Soldier, Legislator, Confidante of Washington. U.S. Bicentennial Map (db m8268) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Haverstraw — Treason House
At Joshua Hett Smith’s home here, Sept. 22, 1780 Benedict Arnold betrayed the plans of West Point to British spy Maj. Andre. Historical Soc. Rockland County Map (db m42743) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Clarkstown Reformed Church
Worship services in this hamlet were held as early as 1740 in a log meeting house at the old burial ground northwest of historic Pye’s Corner. The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church was organized there in 1750. Initially services were in Dutch and later in English on alternate Sundays. A sandstone building replaced the old structure in 1826 and was used until 1871 when the congregation moved to this site. — Map (db m44204) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Clarksville
The Nyack Turnpike Toll Road c. 1825 crossed the Oblenis Farm here, creating a busy intersection knows as Oblenis Corners at Strawtown and Sickeltown roads. The first post office named Nyack Turnpike was established in the New Oblenis Store in 1834. In 1847 the hamlet was renamed Clarksville, then MontMoor and since 1891 has been known as West Nyack. — Map (db m21381) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Clarksville Inn
This historic inn built by Thomas Warner in 1840 was a stopping place for stage coaches and travelers to and from the Port of Nyack. It was a center of social life for more than a century and the scene of farewell balls for recruits during the Civil War. Known in the recent decades as the Clarksville Inn, the buildings on these premises were restored in 1957. — Map (db m15351) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Colonial Clarkstown
Ancient Indian trails intersected at this place adjoining a large Indian village which extended to the Hackensack Creek. Early in the 18th century the De Clark family built a gristmill on these premises, scene of the last witchcraft trial in New York state c. 1816. The hamlet surrounding the De Clark farm was called Clarkstown. In 1870 George Washington and his troops encamped on the drill grounds east of the mill pond. — Map (db m44200) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Mount Moor Cemetery
This "Burying ground for Colored people", was deeded on July 7, 1849 by James Benson and Jane Benson, his wife, to William H. Moore, Stephen Samuels and Isaac Williams, trustees. The cemetery has provided burial space for colored people, including veterans of the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II and the Korean War. The grounds have been maintained since 1940 by the Mount Moor Cemetery Association, Inc. — Map (db m21378) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Old Clarkstown Reformed Church Cemetery
A Dutch meeting house and burial ground occupied this site ca. 1740. The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church was organized here in 1750. A sandstone building replaced the old wooden structure in 1826. This cemetery, in use for almost two centuries, contains the graves of 20 Revolutionary War soldiers and 20 of the War of 1812.West Nyack Memorial Post No. 1619 American Legion Map (db m44201) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Pye's Corner
In 1798 Hendrick Van Orden, owner of a sandstone house on this site, sold the house and surrounding farm to Dr. Abraham Cornelison, who lived here 51 years. He became the first president of the Rockland County Medical Society in 1829. Isaac Pye purchased the premises in 1858 and may have built the present home. In 1894 Julius and Herman G. Kretschmar established a floriculturist business here, continued by the family until 1979 — Map (db m26199) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Site of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New HempsteadErected   Oct. 1925
Site of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Hempstead Organized                             Jan. 12, 1750 First consistory Chosen       Apr. 22 1750 First Stone Laid                    Jun. 11 1751 Dedicated                             Sep. 8 1751 Rebuilt in                              1826 Name changed to     First Reformed     Protestant Dutch Church     in Clarkstown                      May 6 1840 Building destroyed by fire                                                 Apr. . . . — Map (db m44322) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — The Nyack Turnpike
Dutch farmers first settled here early in the 18th century on land purchased from Indians who had occupied this region for millennia. Under mounting pressure for a cross-county road between the port of Nyack and Ramapo a turnpike was built. The section through the Greenbush Swamp and "the little swamp" here in Clarksville was opened by 1825. When completed in the 1830's the turnpike became a toll road until 1893. — Map (db m15352) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — The Old Parsonage
For almost a century the Clarkstown Reformed Church shared the services of its pastor with the church at Tappan. In 1834 a full-time pastor was called and this building, on a site across the road, was purchased for him. It was enlarged in 1835. Replaced by a new parsonage in 1894 this home was moved, first to a nearby location subsequently taken by the thruway in 1954, and then to this site. — Map (db m26196) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Van Houten Fields
In 1937 Ralph Borsodi, author, economist and philosopher, organized a group for the purchase of this 106-acre Dutch farm to be divided into leased acreage plots. This became the largest self-administered, back-to-the-land community in Rockland County for families seeking a do-it-yourself agrarian life style. The homesteads were built, in part, by the owners. The leased land later reverted to private ownership.Van Houten Fields Association Map (db m44203) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Washington’s Encampment
This property on lot 13 in the 1727 division of the Kakiat Patent was part of the DeClark farm from which the name Clarkstown originated. In August 1780 General Washington and his troops encamped here on an ancient Indian village site. In 1880 the first train of the fledgling New York & Albany Railroad crossed the farm land below where a station platform was built. — Map (db m54842) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — West Nyack World War I Memorial
In commemoration of the men in the World War who entered the armed service of their country during 1917 – 1918 from West Nyack, N.Y. Arthur R. Conklin • John Conklin • Leroy A. Crumley • Edmund L. Galvin • Melvin H. Green • Hans C. Gronager • Sven G. Hansen • Edwin C. Harring • Walter C. Hogancamp • Harold S. Hutton • Gustav F. Kaufmann • Peter J. Natale • Sterling Nordhouse • Edward L. Richard • Victor G. Robins • Wallace B. Schimpf • Ivin Sickels 2nd • John Stewart Sickels • Harold . . . — Map (db m44319) HM
New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — West Nyack's Last Horse Trough
This trough was built at a time when horses provided the basic means of transporting people and their possessions in Rockland County. It was fed by an underground spring that provided clean water for any thirsty animal in the neighborhood. Using 19th Century masonry, the trough has been fully restored and serves as a permanent memorial to a time when traffic and life itself moved at a slower pace. — Map (db m21379) HM
157 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 215 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.