HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Russell County Markers
Alabama (Russell County), Crawford — CrockettsvilleCrawford, Alabama
The community of Crockettsville was settled at about the time Russell County was formed in 1832. Among the first settlers were Jerry Segar and Green Sewell. It was named in honor of David "Davy" Crockett who served as a scout in Andrew Jackson's Tennessee Militia at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814. The name of the city was changed to Crawford in 1843 by Act of the Alabama Legislature. This was done to honor the family of William Harris Crawford (1772-1834), a distinguished Georgia teacher, . . . — Map (db m33541) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Crawford — The Shiloh Baptist Church
The Shiloh Baptist Church was constituted on March 27, 1852. Shortly thereafter, a house of worship was erected on what is now the present church site. The earliest marked grave in the church cemetery bears the date of 1854. A new building was constructed in 1876 and is currently being used for Sunday school rooms and a fellowship hall. At that time, the church was situated on the east side of the road. In 1947 the building was renovated and the entry was changed to face the west side of . . . — Map (db m59692) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Benning — Fryar Field
Named in honor of Pvt Elmer E. Fryar Congressional Medal of Honor 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment United States Army — Map (db m60416) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Asbury School and Mission1 Mile North of Fort Mitchell
In September 1821 Rev. William Capers was sent to Fort Mitchell, by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to negotiate with the chiefs of the Creek Indian Nations for a mission which would teach their children reading, writing and other white-man skills. In 1822 Asbury Manual Labor School was established with Rev. Isaac Smith, Superintendent; 33 resident students; 3 teachers; houses; school; and farm. The school closed in 1830 following the removal to the West of a . . . — Map (db m26121) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell<----- 5 miles -----
Built during Creek War 1813 by Georgia Militia on main Indian trade route to Tombigbee River. U.S. Troops stationed here until 1837. 1836 Lower Creeks corralled here for forced removal to the West. — Map (db m26069) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell Military Cemetery
This military graveyard was established soon after Fort Mitchell was built by General John Floyd of the Georgia Militia. Located just south of the stockade, the cemetery was used between 1813 and 1840 during the fort's occupation by Georgia and United States soldiers. The first burial was that of John Ward, an interpreter on the staff of General Floyd. Ward died of pneumonia in November 1813. A line of approximately 25 soldiers' graves is located adjacent to the site of the fort's dispensary. A . . . — Map (db m26122) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Indian Ball Ground
The most popular game among the Indians of this region was "stick ball." This field has been constructed so that the game may be enjoyed again in the Chattahoochee Valley where it was played for hundreds of years. Sometimes known as "little brother to war," the game was played with an intensity second only to war. Hand crafted sticks with small loops on the end were used to catch and throw a small deer skin ball often filled with squirrel fur to make it "lively." One of the last games played . . . — Map (db m26020) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — J.W. and Ethel I Woodruff Foundation Interpretive Trail
Native plants played a significant role in the daily life of the Creek Indian civilization that inhabited the Chattahoochee Valley until relocation to Oklahoma in the 19th century. During the Woodland Period, the local inhabitants were skilled hunters and gatherers of native plants, nuts, and fruits. During the Mississippian Period (A.D. 700-1000) the Indian culture matured in its corn based agricultural practices and became less dependent upon readily available native trees and shrubs for . . . — Map (db m48166) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — James Cantey
Near here was the home of Confederate Brigadier General James Cantey who arrived in 1849 to operate a plantation owned by his father. Prior to coming to Russell County he had practiced law at his birthplace, Camden, South Carolina, and had represented his district in the State Legislature there for two terms. Cantey fought n the Mexican War and received near mortal wounds. He was left among the dead but was rescued by his body servant whose plans were to bear him home for burial. The slave's . . . — Map (db m26103) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — John Crowell
Marker Front: Near here is the site where John Crowell lived, died, and is interred. Colonel Crowell was born in Halifax County, North Carolina, on September 18, 1780; moved to Alabama in 1815, having been appointed as Agent of the United States to the Muscogee Indians. In 1817, he was elected as Alabama's first and only Territorial Delegate to the 15th Congress, where he served from January 29, 1818, until March 3, 1819. Upon Alabama's admission as a State, he was elected its first . . . — Map (db m26116) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Markers Honoring our Veterans at Fort Mitchell
In Honor of Those Who Served Our Country Presented by Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States May 30, 1989 — Map (db m63420) WM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Creek Trail of Tears
Approximately one mile due east of this marker, back down the Old Federal Road, called by frontiersmen and Indians the Three Notched Trail or the Three Chopped Way, stood Fort Mitchell, an early 19th century American fort that in 1836 was one of the principal gathering places for the forced removal of the Creek Indians from their homes on the Chattahoochee River to the West. Weakened by starvation, defrauded of their lands and swindled out of most of their possessions, thousands of Creeks, . . . — Map (db m26100) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Glennville — Glennville
(Front): One of the earliest white settlements in the Old Creek Indian Nation. James Elizabeth Glenn, who named the town, and his brother Thompson Glenn, arrived here in 1835 only to have to evacuate during the Indian uprisings of 1836, at which time all buildings were destroyed and the remaining settlers killed. Thompson Glenn is credited with effecting the removal, to Columbus Georgia, of the entrapped white citizens of nearby Roanoke, Georgia, during the same uprising. Glennville was . . . — Map (db m37451) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hatchechubbee — Uchee / Good Hope Baptist Church, Uchee
(obverse) Uchee One of the oldest white settlements in the Chattahoochee Valley before and after the removal of the Indians; land deeds between whites date back to 1832, the year of Russell County's founding. The name of the town comes from the Indian name of a creek which originates nearby. In its early years it was a cultural, political and religious center. Three academies were established in the area: Good Hope, Spring Grove and Andrew’s Chapel. Russell County’s first . . . — Map (db m69422) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hatchechubbee — Uchee Chapel Methodist Church
This circa 1859 building is a very good and intact example of the temple front house of worship in the purest form of the Greek Revival style. It was constructed by L.S. Johnson at the same time as the nearby Good Hope Baptist Church. The Uchee Chapel membership dates from 1836. An early log church building was erected in 1838. The first pastor was David E. McIntyre, by his second conference year, could report 124 white and 53 black members. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. — Map (db m69420) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hurtsboro — Hurtsboro United Methodist Church
Originally built in 1865, the First Methodist Church in Hurtsboro, then called Hurtsville was located in Olivet, about 4 miles south. The building burned and a wooden church was built on this site in 1876. It was replaced in 1906 by the present brick building during the pastorate of Reverend W.S. Street. In 1947 a Sunday School Annex was added. The church is a significant landmark, as its beauty and stained glass windows are well known throughout the Alabama-West Florida Conference. — Map (db m69417) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hurtsboro — Joel Hurt House
(obverse) The home was built in 1857 by the founder of Hurtsboro, Joel Hurt, Sr. (1813-1861) and his wife, Lucy Long Hurt (1822-1915). Their saw mill, constructed near Hurtsboro Creek, provided lumber for the home and surrounding community. With the addition of the Mobile & Girard Railroad, the town of Hurtsboro was established and flourished. One of the Hurt's eleven children, Joel Hurt, Jr. (1850-1926) resided here as a child and later played a major role in the architectural . . . — Map (db m69415) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hurtsboro — Long FamilyNimrod Long House
Nimrod Washington Long moved to Alabama from Georgia in the 1830s. A planter, mill owner and state legislator, he had real estate and railroad interests in Russell County. This house was the plantation home of Nimrod Washington Long in Spring Hill, Barbour County. In 1875, his son, Nimrod William Ezekiel Long (1834-1923), had the house dismantled, the pieces numbered, transported by ox cart and reassembled on this site. Nimrod William Ezekiel Long was a civil engineer, Confederate veteran, . . . — Map (db m69433) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Albert Love PattersonJanuary 27, 1891 - June 18, 1954
(side 1) Born at New Site, Alabama, he grew up working on his parents’ farm. In 1916 he worked in the oil fields in Texas and joined the Texas National Guard. He married Agnes Benson of Alabama in 1917. In 1918 he was commissioned an officer in the 36th Infantry Division. He was wounded by machine gun fire at St. Etienne, France, during World War I and awarded the French Croix de Guerre with gilt star for bravery. He later received the Purple Heart. His wounds left him crippled for . . . — Map (db m69114) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Allen Temple A.M.E. Church / Grant Chapel A.M.E. Church
(obverse) Allen Temple A.M.E. Church In 1879, under the pastorate of Reverend George Wesley Allen, the Allen Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church had its humble beginning in Phenix City, Alabama as Grant Mission. The Russell County Housing Authority's renewal project of 1940 caused the relocation of the congregation. Under the administration of Reverend E.W. Cook, in 1941, the new church was built and renamed Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. The Church has continued to serve . . . — Map (db m69082) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Ancient Fisheries
To the native people of the Chattahoochee River Valley, the Creek or Muskogulgi Indians, the shoals of the river were a source of recreation and food. In the spring, the women and children of Coweta Town came here to fish, using dip nets, spears, bows and arrows and cleverly designed fish traps to harvest shad, bass, catfish and sunfish. Creek boys lassoed the tails of huge sturgeon and wrestled them ashore. Natives from Cusseta Town had a fishery on the Georgia side of the river opposite this . . . — Map (db m69045) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram American's first native born artist- naturalists, passed through Russell County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain's King George III, he traveled 2,400 mile in three journeys into the southern colonies in 1775-1776, collecting rare plants and specimens and making detailed drawings of plants and animals. — Map (db m48433) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Before The Battle / Battle Of Girard
(obverse) Before The Battle All day that Easter Sunday the Confederate forces commanded by Col. Leon von Zinken awaited the Union Army they knew was on the way from Tuskegee. Lacking the men needed to hold it, they were forced to leave the line they had prepared on the hills to the west and man an inner line from the mouth of Holland Creek northward through this position. Left undefended, the Dillingham Street bridge was packed with oil-soaked cotton waste and burned about 2 . . . — Map (db m69058) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Confederate Fort
On the hill to the northwest is an earthen fortification built in 1863 as part of the defenses on the Confederate navy yard, iron works and other war-related industries in nearby Columbus, Georgia. Designated Fort #5 on the plan done by the CSA engineers, the well-preserved fort has three cannon emplacements. It is pentagonal, of 90 foot side. Escarpments are 30 feet. Trenches flank the central unit. During the attack by Federal troops under Major General James H. Wilson on April 16, 1865, . . . — Map (db m59968) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Confederates Set Fire To Lower Bridge
Early in the afternoon of April 16, 1865 the first major act in the Battle of Girard-Columbus took place. Union General Emory Upton sent the First Ohio cavalry charging down old Crawford Road to capture the Dillingham Bridge, then known as the lower or wagon bridge. Confederates on the Georgia side had prepared for the Union tactic by removing the bridge's flooring and placing turpentine-soaked cotton along the length of its superstructure. Confederate Colonel C. C. McGehee crawled out on the . . . — Map (db m69060) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta Town(KVWETV)
Coweta Town, located east of this marker on the banks of the Chattahoochee River, is sometimes called New or Upper Coweta to distinguish it from its predecessor, Coweta Tallahassee, down river. Among other well-known Creeks, Coweta was the birthplace of William McIntosh, the controversial half-blood who was executed by his own people for having signed the fraudulent 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs. Mary Musgrove, who was such a help to James Edward Oglethorpe and the Savannah colony in Georgia, . . . — Map (db m69068) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Horace King
(side 1) Horace King a slave of John Godwin was construction foreman for the First Dillingham Street Bridge in 1832, when he and Godwin introduced the “town lattice” bridge design into the Chattahoochee Valley. King built most of the early wooden bridges spanning the river, including those at West Point, Eufaula and Fort Gaines-Franklin. After Godwin’s death in 1859, he raised a monument inscribed: “In lasting remembrance of the love and gratitude felt for his lost . . . — Map (db m69064) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — POW * MIA Monument
POW*MIA You Are Not Forgotten Dedicated to all Our Nation's POW * MIA Past - Present Fort Benning Sergeants Major Association 19 September 2009 — Map (db m69092) WM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Red Hill Batteries
On April 16, 1865 the batteries of Confederate Major James Fleming Waddell of Seale, Alabama were positioned on the crest of this hill. Union forces under the command of Brevet Major General James H. Wilson were expected to launch a daylight attack from the west down old Broadnax Street, now 14th Street. Instead, the First Ohio first attacked down the Crawford Road in an attempt to capture the lower or wagon bridge, now the Dillingham Street Bridge. Although the Confederate position on Red Hill . . . — Map (db m69056) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Six Indians Hanged
In November 1836, six Creek and Yuchi Indians were hanged near this spot for their role in a last desperate uprising against the frontier whites of Georgia and Alabama. Following decades of provocation from whites anxious to gain control of their lands, a small band of Indians attacked and burned the little hamlet of Roanoke in Stewart County, Georgia, killing many of its inhabitants. They also killed several whites in a raid on a stagecoach a few miles south of here, near the bridge over Yuchi Creek. Eyewitnesses said the Indians died bravely. — Map (db m69065) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Tie-Snake
The Creek Indians believed this section of the river was inhabited by a giant Tie-Snake, a mythical monster that snared the unwary and dragged them down into the watery underworld. The Tie-Snake was but one of many strange creatures and natural forces featured in the myths and folk tales of the native people of this region. Among these were the Winds, the Thunder Helper, the Orphan, the Trickster Rabbit, and the Tarbaby. LaGrange lawyer W.O. Tuggle recorded many of these tales in the late . . . — Map (db m69067) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Union Night Attack Down Summerville Road
Confederate Captain Nat Clanton's battery sat astride Summerville Road on April 16, 1865 when Union forces launched a three-fisted night attack from northwest of this position. Elements of the Third and Fourth Iowa and the Tenth Missouri all passed beneath Clanton's guns in the darkness, which was lit only by the flashes of canons and small arms. The Federals quickly overran Confederates entrenchments and pressed on down Summerville Road to take Waddell's battery on Red Hill and the 14th Street . . . — Map (db m69069) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Holland McTyeire Smith
(obverse) South of this site was the homeplace of Holland McTyeire Smith, born April 20, 1882. He completed the preparatory school at Seale, College at Alabama Polytechnic Institute and the University of Alabama Law School. He was commissioned Lieutenant in the Marine Corps in 1915; Brigadier General, 1939; Major General, 1941; Lieutenant General 1944; and General, 1946. During his tenure he was the highest ranked general in the Marine Corps. He participated in numerous campaigns and . . . — Map (db m69406) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — John Bacon McDonald
(obverse) Near here is the site of the plantation of John Bacon McDonald who was born February 8, 1859. He entered the United States Military Academy on June 14, 1876, after finishing the tutelage of Colonel John M. Brannon of Seale and Captain Jerry J. Slade of Columbus. On June 11, 1881, he was graduated from West Point. He served in the Geronimo Campaign in 1885 and as an Indian Scout; the Philippines; and later Europe during World War I. In 1923 he was promoted to Brigadier . . . — Map (db m69408) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Mitchell-Ferrell-Powell House
Built in Glennville, Alabama by slave artisans in the early 1840's for James Billingslea and Rebecca Stone Mitchell. Moved by ox-cart and reassembled by free citizens at the present site in 1867 or 1869. Purchased in 1895 by Hugh Bennett and Jessie Elvira Screws Ferrell. Purchased and restored in 1978 by Vernon H. and Minnie D. Powell. — Map (db m69409) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Old Russell County Courthouse
During the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of America, the Alabama Legislature created Lee County primarily from the northern half of Russell County in 1866 and ordered the selection of the county seat "more centrally located." Government in Russell County was practically non-existent at the time; few records were kept and taxes levied only for favored political purposes. An election was called; Seale won. Simeon O'Neal and Cicero McBride selected this commanding site. John . . . — Map (db m53160) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Seale United Methodist Church
Marker Front: The Methodist Congregation of which the church at Seale was organized in 1842, were pioneer families with a deep faith in God and a clear vision of the future. This group was centered around a small meeting place and a schoolhouse located on the north side of the Federal Road about 12 miles west of the Chattahoocee River. This church was called Glenn Chapel, a memorial to the old preacher, James E. Glenn. The preaching place, a sort of community center, was established . . . — Map (db m23594) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — William Augustus Mitchell
(obverse) On this lot and in the house thereon, was born William Augustus Mitchell, November 30, 1877. Mitchell entered the United States Military Academy on June 20, 1898, after finishing the schools at Seale and Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He graduated number one in his class in 1902. During World War I he was promoted to Brigadier General. After the War General Mitchell become a member of the faculty at West Point. (reverse) General Mitchell received the . . . — Map (db m69411) HM
38 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 241 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.