from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
Named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, hero of Revolution, governor of Northwest Territory.
First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia - veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14. . . . — Map (db m28143) HM
In 1870 St. Clair Co. was still under Radical Republican Reconstruction. On August 20, 1870 honorable men of the County (former Confederates) had decided to hold the first Democratic Convention after the War Between the States. The meeting would be . . . — Map (db m28142) HM
John Looney and son, Henry, served in General Andrew Jackson's volunteer company which built Fort Strother on Coosa River and later fought at Horseshoe Bend in 1814. Looney's family of nine moved from Maury Co. Tenn. to homestead 1817 in St. Clair . . . — Map (db m24066) HM
Greek revival antebellum home built by Moses Dean in 1852, acquired by John W. Inzer in 1866. Home occupied by Inzer family from 1866 to 1987. In July 1987 home and its contents, including extensive law library, deeded by family heirs to St. Clair . . . — Map (db m28092) HM
James Cummings Hallmark led in organizing and building the church about 1850. In 1854, George Shotwell deeded three acres of land, including the church house and cemetery, to the trustees of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, South.
The first . . . — Map (db m95968) HM
Original log house of worship built St. Clair
Co. near Broken Arrow Creek, six miles from
Coosa River. Named Harkey’s Chapel for first
Minister, the Rev. David Harkey of Cahawba Circuit.
Present church built 1903-04 by A. I. Abels . . . — Map (db m28089) HM
Dr. Elwyn Ballard, Commissioner of Boy Scouts in Birmingham, and his wife, Florence Aye Ballard, discovered this site in 1914, and became vital forces in the founding and growth of the camp. Boy Scouts and Boys Club members from the area first . . . — Map (db m49659) HM
Margaret traces its roots to the Alabama Fuel & Iron Company, which organized in the early 1900s and developed Margaret coal mines under the leadership of its president Henry F. DeBardeleben. Named after DeBardeleben’s wife Margaret, the town was . . . — Map (db m50759) HM
On July 14, 1864 a small group of brave Confederate Cavalry under General James H. Clanton approximately 300 strong were overwhelmed by a vastly superior Union Cavalry force under General L. H. Rousseau. The Confederates were attempting to protect . . . — Map (db m35593) HM
Created in 1818 by territorial legislature. Named for Revolutionary hero, Gen. St. Clair. First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia – veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14.
Pell City established as industrial town in 1890 by George H. Pell of . . . — Map (db m49666) HM
Founded by railroad investors and incorporated on May 6, 1891. Pell City was named for one of the financial backers, George Hamilton Pell of New York. Nearly disappearing after the panic of 1893, the town was redeveloped after 1901 by Sumter . . . — Map (db m49660) HM
The town charter for Pell City was granted in 1887. The town was named for George Hamilton Pell, a prominent New York industrialist and president of the East and West Railroad. In 1901, the town was almost deserted when a young man named Sumter . . . — Map (db m49656) HM
The earliest neighborhood in Pell City was the Residential District, located on the northern boundary of the Downtown Historic District. The Residential District was the preferred location for many of the earliest leaders involved in the growth and . . . — Map (db m49667) HM
Originally chartered as Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
Charter member and first pastor was Sion Blythe
who served for 17 years.
The oldest church in St. Clair County.
Presbyterian and Methodist denominations used
the church building before . . . — Map (db m37831) HM