Side A (Facing the sidewalk):
This plaque marks the location of the
Pacific Coast Railway
As established on October 12, 1881, in Arroyo Grande, the Pacific Coast Railway ran from Avila to San Luis Obispo and Edna in . . . — Map (db m66068) HM
This building, dedicated in 1914 and completed in 1918, was the headquarters for the Atascadero Colony, a model community envisioned by Edward G. Lewis. Designed by Walter D. Bliss of San Francisco and built of reinforced concrete and locally . . . — Map (db m67969) HM
In 1928 The Carlton Hotel began as a single story building for the Atascadero Development Syndicate. The 52-room hotel on the second floor called the “Annex”
opened its doors at a gala event on November 28, 1929.
In 1931 the . . . — Map (db m38727) HM
Throughout history patriotic Americans have been drawn together to serve a cause greater than themselves. Some came because of common experiences. Most came because of common values. All came because they shared a dream.
The people who . . . — Map (db m61431) WM
Inspired by “The Grand Basin” at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, Atascadero founder E.G. Lewis envisioned a formal Sunken Garden to adorn the civic center in his new colony. Restored in 2005 as originally designed with walkways crossing . . . — Map (db m38729) HM
The purpose of this monument is to forever stand as a tribute to our nation's Founding Fathers who created the two most important documents that laid the foundation of our country: the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. This . . . — Map (db m67581) HM
Cal Poly’s Pier has undergone change throughout its history, shifting purpose from industrial use to a center for marine research & education.
For thousands of years the Chumash Native Americans made their home on the Central Coast, including . . . — Map (db m70381) HM
Nitt Witt Ridge, one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments, is the creation of Arthur Harold Beal (Der Tinkerpaw or Capt. Nitt Witt), a Cambria Pines pioneer who sculpted the land using hand tools and indigenous . . . — Map (db m50545) HM
This first order fresnel lens was manufactured in 1850 in France by Henry LaPaute. The clock mechanism was built in 1872 and the lens you see here was installed atop the lighthouse at Piedras Blancas in 1874.
In 1949 the lens was removed from . . . — Map (db m68626) HM
This property was once Cambria’s historical “Chinese Center,” the social focus for workers who harvested seaweed and abalone for shipment back to China, or worked in local quicksilver (mercury) mines in the mountains.
Here local . . . — Map (db m68511) HM
Born in Bristol, England, Nov. 24 1824, James Cass came to N.Y.C. at the age of 12, then to California during the Gold Rush. His mining, mercantile, and farming led him to travel throughout the state. In 1867, he saw the potential of a shipping port . . . — Map (db m68608) HM
Built of lumber shipped from San Francisco 1867-1875. Capt. Cass, an Englishman, came to California in 1849, settling in Cayucos in 1867 he built the wharf & warehouse in 1875. He was responsible for the early growth of Cayucos. He is recognized & . . . — Map (db m68607) HM
His name was James Byron Dean. He was an actor. He died just before sundown on September 30, 1955, when his Porsche collided with another car at a fork in the road not 900 yards east of this tree, long known as The Tree of Heaven. He was 24 years . . . — Map (db m61372) HM
Built in 1886 by volunteer labor. Deeded to the Methodist Church. Dedicated to The Lord the third Sunday in May, 1886. Second Protestant church in San Luis Obispo County. Served by circuit riding Methodist Minister A.N. Fields.
Framework of . . . — Map (db m67851) HM
....grew up around a dairy, founded in 1869. Until 1907 the creamery changed hands several times. In these early days rivalries and feuding among the dairy farmers caused chaos in the valley. After one shooting death a truce was called. All agreed . . . — Map (db m68508) HM
An important mariner's landfall for over 300 years, chronicled in the diaries of Portola, Fr. Crespi and Costanso in 1769 when they camped near this area on their trek to find Monterey. Sometimes called the "Gibraltar of the Pacific". It is the last . . . — Map (db m24795) HM
During the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade Era from 1565 to 1815 Spanish galleons crossed the Pacific between the Philippines and Mexico.
On October 18, 1587, the Manila Galleon Nuestra Senora de Esperanza commanded by Pedro de Unamuno . . . — Map (db m24732) HM
Since 1797 the route of the old padre trail through this area provided a key link to the coast for Mission San Miguel and the lower Salinas valley, especially in the 1860’s for the shipping of mercury, vital to the recovery of California’s gold. . . . — Map (db m68509) HM
This knoll is the site of a Native American village believed to have been occupied for over 100 generations or 3,000 years. It has been preserved to honor both the Chumash and Salinan Nations that inhabited this region before the arrival of the . . . — Map (db m68424) HM
The first Protestant church in northern San Luis Obispo county was built in 1879 by early settlers. This nondenominational church on the Estrella Plains prospered with the pioneer community, but by 1912 fell into disuse as the various denominations . . . — Map (db m59452) HM
An inspiring and varied history of the Mennonites in the Paso Robles area began in 1896. Pioneers Jacob Hege and Jacob E. Claassen came to this area to evaluate the land. They decided to settle east and west of Paso Robles. Mr. Hege liked the . . . — Map (db m73175) HM
World famous pianist, composer, statesman, humanitarian, major California Central Coast land holder, vineyard owner, winemaker and almond grower.
Polish by birth and a citizen of the world, Paderewski felt at home in . . . — Map (db m71909) HM
The boys of the Paso Robles
War Memorial Hospital
who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II Thomas C. Calvert • William O. Cottle • Joseph G. Crettol • Raymond O. Dauth • Raymond J. Farnell Jr. • Roy A Gruwell Jr. • Lester W. . . . — Map (db m68656) WM
On April 18, 1917, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Sims deeded this site of one and one half acres to and for the Lincoln School for the sum of $10.00 dollars. The school was built in 1917 and operated as a one room school house from 1917-1964. The school . . . — Map (db m67790) HM
This monument is dedicated to all War Veterans of the
Paso Robles area who served Their county in its time of
Presented by the
Paso Robles United Veterans Council
Veterans of Foreign Wars – Post 5692
American Legion . . . — Map (db m68426) WM
By the mid-1880s, the population of Paso Robles had increased to a level where a dedicated building to house criminals was needed. On September 20, 1887, Paso Robles Leaderran a story about a Saturday-night drunken brawl where weapons were . . . — Map (db m72629) HM
On May 11, 1889, with one million bricks piled at this site, the laying of the foundation of this famous hotel was begun.
In November of 1889, the El Paso de Robles Hotel Company was incorporated with five stockholders: Drury and Louisa James, . . . — Map (db m60007) HM
The Jeanesville Pump that rests quietly on permanent exhibit at the Paso Robles Pioneer Museum was one of 2000 steam powered pumps built at the turn of the century by the Jeanesville Iron Works Company.. .
Union Oil Company relocated this . . . — Map (db m78134) HM
Members of the Willow Creek Mennonite Church worshiped at this site from 1911 to 1967. The building was moved here from the San Marcos area where it had been built in 1898. It burned on January 26, 1967
"For other foundation can no man lay . . . — Map (db m67215) HM
This mosaic tile mural, placed in the heart of the historic Chinatown District of San Luis Obispo, commemorates our City’s Chinese pioneers. As immigrants they faced prejudice and exclusionary laws, but rose above such obstacles to make major . . . — Map (db m52979) HM
Built on the site formerly occupied by Dona Ramona Carrillo Pacheco de Wilson’s two story town house, this building was for 55 years the city library. One of over 1,681 libraries given by Andrew Carnegie to American towns in the early 1900’s, it was . . . — Map (db m11605) HM
This building was built in 1925, by Addison Chong, as was the house next door where the Chong's lived. Addison and his wife Mary owned and operated Chong's Chinese Restaurant for many years.
In 1950, Addison's brother Richard took over the . . . — Map (db m16430) HM
This was the home of Pierre Hyppolite Dallidet, a native of France, who settled in San Luis Obispo in 1853 and became a vineyardist. His son, Paul Dallidet, gave it to the San Luis Obispo County Historical Society in 1953, in memory of the Dallidet . . . — Map (db m27561) HM
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area.
In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris . . . — Map (db m38533) HM
and his command of 430 men of the Navy Battalion of Mounted Riflemen encamped near this site December 14-15 1846, on their march, which ended the Mexican regime in California.
Erected 1930 by San Luis Obispo School Children, Native Daughters and . . . — Map (db m70042) HM
On this site, the storied original Andrews Hotel stood. The grand opening of that remarkable structure was celebrated July 3, 1885. Nine and one half months later, on Palm Sunday, April 18, 1886 it burned to the ground. On the ashes, the present . . . — Map (db m16502) HM
Hope on the Horizon
What would make a family leave their home for an unfamiliar land on a distant frontier? For the nearly 300 men, women, and children on the Anza Expedition, it was the chance for a fresh start. In 1775, life in northern . . . — Map (db m38537) HM
In service with the U.S. Army and U.S. Marines
1960 to 1991
Weight 58 tons • Crew of 4
Main Weapon 105mm Rifled Gun
This tank is dedicated to all veterans of
San Luis Obispo County who have served
San Luis Obispo . . . — Map (db m38502) HM
A Spanish mission founded by Fray Junipero Serra, O.F.M., First president of the California missions. This was the fifth in a chain of 21 missions stretching from San Diego to Sonoma. Built by the Chumash Indians living in the area. Its combination . . . — Map (db m27237) HM
This is the site of the worlds original and first motel. Construction started in 1925 at a cost of $80,000. The word “motel” was first thought of here by Architect Arthur Heineman. — Map (db m38453) HM
On October 29, 1960, a chartered aircraft carrying the Cal Poly Mustang Football Team crashed on takeoff at the Toledo, Ohio Airport. Sixteen Mustang football players, the team manager, and a Mustang booster were killed in the crash and twenty-two . . . — Map (db m38511) HM
The Pacific Coast Railway was completed to San Luis Obispo on Aug. 8, 1876 having started as a horsedrawn rail line on the Port Hartford Pier (Port San Luis) in 1873.
Three foot gauge steam engines took trains loaded with farm, dairy and . . . — Map (db m60535) HM
Built in 1905 using granite rock from Bishops Peak. Second peak in San Luis Obispo County's row of majestic mountains ending with beautiful Morro Rock. This local rock can be seen in several structures along the Path of History.
Historic Plaque . . . — Map (db m16473) HM
Creek rises up in Cuesta Canyon and is joined by a creek from Reservoir Canyon. It meanders through the city until its (sic) covered by business buildings. It reappears at Mission Plaza. It was the first source of water for the mission. It flows . . . — Map (db m70044) HM
First founded by Spanish missionary Father Junipero Serra on September 1, 1772, this dusty mission town of San Luis Obispo was incorporated as general law city on February 19, 1856.
Today, the City of San Luis Obispo serves as the commercial, . . . — Map (db m70041) HM
Here in 1874 was established Ah Louis Store. The first Chinese store in the county, it sold general merchandise and herbs and served as a bank counting house and post office for the numerous Chinese coolies who dug the eight tunnels through the . . . — Map (db m16369) HM
San Luis Obispo was established February 18, 1850, as one of the original counties of California. The first county government was housed in Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. In 1854 county offices were transferred to the Casa Grande Building on . . . — Map (db m16560) HM
The historic Southern Pacific Water Tower is located directly across the tracks from where you are standing. It looks much as it did when built in 1940 at a cost of $2,130. The Water Tower is located in it original position, across from the City’s . . . — Map (db m70050) HM
The old powerhouse was built in 1908, and is the oldest building on the Cal Poly campus. It utilized student labor in its construction, thus embodying “learn by doing”. From 1910 to 1940 it supplied all of the electricity and stream heat . . . — Map (db m38456) HM
The Ramona Depot
In March of 1896, the Southern Pacific Railroad officially declared that the Ramona Hotel will be an eating station for passengers heading north and south. ”It is expected that within a few days tickets can be . . . — Map (db m38457) HM
El Camino Real, the Royal Highway, connected the California missions. At the beginning it was a trail, and a cross carved into the bark of trees showed the right path. This was such a tree, and the cross was lost until the day the tree fell (near . . . — Map (db m64680) HM
On land expropriated from San Miguel Mission, at the site of an adobe frequented by Frank and Jesse James, the first saloon in San Luis Obispo County opened its doors here on December 5, 1853. In its heyday, the Elkhorn Saloon often earned over . . . — Map (db m59926) HM
Lt. Col. John C. Fremont
and his 430 American volunteers camped on this hill December 10 - 11, 1846 and took the Mission San Miguel.
Fremont's march from San Juan Bautista to San Fernando brought about the Cahuenga Capitulation January 13, . . . — Map (db m59991) HM
The first burial of a Christian Indian took place in this mission cemetery on March 17, 1798, as appears from the records still preserved at the mission. In the following years over two thousand Indians were laid to rest here and in adjoining plots. — Map (db m65002) HM
On Aug. 27, 1795, Padre Buenaventura Sitjar reported to Padre Fermin de Lasuen, Presidente of the California Missions, that the low land on both sides of the river at the proposed site of Mission San Miguel was sufficient to grow 300 fanegas of . . . — Map (db m64681) HM
Selecting this site because of the great number of Salinan Indians living hereabout. Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, O.F.M., second president of the California Missions. Founded San Miguel Archangel on July 25,1797. The sixteenth in a chain of . . . — Map (db m64948) HM
This imposing building is an excellent example of California Mexican Era architecture. Using Indian labor, Petronilo Rios built the two-story Adobe about 1846 as his residence and headquarters for sheep and cattle operations. Named "Caledonia" in . . . — Map (db m68935) HM
On October 18, 1886 the railroad arrived at the lands of Mission San Miguel. The railroad provided transportation to take San Miguel cattle and produce to market, it also provided lumber and store goods to fuel the expanding population. The township . . . — Map (db m59835) HM
Here, on the historic Piedra Blanca Rancho, William Randolph Hearst created La Cuesta Encantada (The Enchanted Hill), including La Casa Grande and adjacent buildings. With their rare art treasures and beautiful gardens. 1919-1947
Presented to . . . — Map (db m68492) HM
Almost Lost Forever
In the late 1800s whalers discovered elephant seal blubber yielded extremely high quality oil. Hunted by the thousands for several decades, these animals were thought to be extinct until a small group was found on Guadalupe . . . — Map (db m81694) HM
This is the oldest store building along the north coast of San Luis Obispo County. Built in 1852 at Whaling Point, one half mile westward, it was moved in 1878 to its present location. Operated by the Sebastian family for half century, it is now . . . — Map (db m50544) HM
In the 1850's Ynocente Garcia and sons recorded claims for the Rancho San Jose which included today's Pozo. In 1878, the area's first postmaster, George Lingo, was refused the name San Jose for the post office and accepted Pozo (Well - in Spanish) . . . — Map (db m101109) HM
On July 27th, 1887, when Templeton was less than one year old, the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethel Church, now called Bethel Lutheran was born. It was organized by Dr. Jelleen of San Francisco with 20 charter members.
The church building . . . — Map (db m38542) HM
Building dedicated November 11, 1888
Regular services began in Templeton February 6, 1887. Three months later on May 8, 1887, the First Presbyterian Church was organized by the Presbytery of San Jose with the Reverend Francis H. Robinson . . . — Map (db m38551) HM
Formerly the site of a plumbing shop and lumber yard, the museum property was donated to the Templeton Historical Museum Society by Al and Carla Willholt in 1988
Built circa 1920 at the corner of Sixth . . . — Map (db m38602) HM
The Templeton Carriage Works Building was originally built
in 1898 as a photography studio and residence for A.W. Petterson, an early Templeton photographer who recorded much of the local early days.
In 1905 it was moved from its original . . . — Map (db m38603) HM