HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Santa Fe County Markers
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Agua Fria Village — Agua Fria
Caravans entering and leaving Santa Fe on the Camino Real wound their way through scattered agricultural settlements south of the capitol. Although this section of the Santa Fe River Valley was initially utilized as pasture for livestock, in the 17th century farmers were attracted to it’s arable lands and to the fresh water springs from which the community derives it’s name. — Map (db m40451) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Agua Fria Village — San Isidro Catholic Church
This 19th century adobe church is dedicated to San Isidro, ploughman, patron saint of farmers and protector of crops. Christian tradition maintains that in order to allow San Isidro time for his daily prayers an angel plowed his fields. Agua Fria annually observes this fifteenth day of May as “His Day of Goodwill” to honor his role in this agricultural community along El Camino Real. — Map (db m40452) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cerrillos — CerrillosElevation 5,688 ft.
Before the arrival of the Spanish, the mineral rich area around Cerrillos produced turquoise, which was broadly traded across the American Southwest and into México. An early settlement of Los Cerrillos harbored Spanish refugees from the 1680 Revold, but the present community was not founded until the lead strick of 1879. — Map (db m54706) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cerrillos — Welcome to the Cerrillos Hills State Park
… where you will experience the tri-cultural story of New Mexico, a history of the Indians, the Spanish, and the Anglos each altering this landscape in their efforts to obtain turquoise, lead, silver, and more. Indians mined nearby deposits of turquoise since at least A.D. 900. Most of the turquoise uncovered at area archaeological sites as well as some discovered in Chaco Canyon probably came from the Cerrillos Hills. For almost 400 years starting in the early 1300s, the people from . . . — Map (db m70565) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cuyamungue — Pueblo of Tesuque
The name Tesuque is a Spanish variation of the Tewa name Tetsugeh, meaninig "narrow place of cotton wood trees." The small Tewa speaking pueblo of Tesuque was established before 1200, and was first visited by Europeans in 1591. It is one of the most traditional of the Tewa speaking pueblos and played an important role in the 1680 Pueblo Revolt, which drove the Spanish from New Mexico. — Map (db m32852) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Galisteo — Galisteo Pueblo
Spanish explorers found several Tano-speaking pueblos in the Galisteo Basin in 1540. They were among the leaders of the Pueblo Revold in 1680. 150 Tano families were eventually resettled in Galisteo Pueblo in 1706. Droughts, famine, Comanche raids, and disease led to its abandonment by 1788, with most of the survivors moving to Santo Domingo. — Map (db m64819) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Glorieta — Colorado Volunteers at the Battles of Glorieta PassMarch 26-28, 1862
On this site and several miles to the west along the Santa Fe Trail, Colorado Volunteers and Regular U.S. Troops fought a Confederate force from Texas in the Battle of Glorieta Pass. Although no clear victory emerged after two days of fierce and bloody combat, a successful flank attack by the Coloradans against the enemy's supply wagons hidden in Apache Canyon destroyed the Confederate ability to continue the campaign. The Texan's retreated thus ending their threat to New Mexico and to the . . . — Map (db m55177) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Glorieta — Glorieta Pass BattlefieldNational Historic Landmark, 1961
The Civil War battle fought in this pass is often referred to as the "Gettysburg of the West." Union forces dashed Confederate strategy to seize the southwest's major supply base at Fort Union; Colorado and California were to be next. The Texas vanguard captured Santa Fe, March 10, 1862, but after two days of battle here U.S. troops and Colorado Volunteers burned a poorly guarded Confederated supply camp and slaughtered hundreds of their horses and mules on March 28. Rebel Troops retreated from New Mexico within two weeks. — Map (db m55176) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Glorietta — Glorietta Battlefield
The decisive battle of the Civil War in New Mexico was fought at the summit of Glorietta Pass on March 28, 1862. Union troops won the battle when a party of Colorado Volunteers burned the Confederate supply wagons, thus destroying Southern hopes for taking over New Mexico. — Map (db m6676) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), La Cienega — Golondrinas Old Cienega Village Museum
Established in the 1700, Rancho de Las Golondrinas was a paraje, or stopping place, which provided a welcome respite to weary travelers along the Camino Real well into the 19th century. The site is now a living historical museum which features a reconstructed Spanish fortified hacienda and other structures. The museum is open to the public from April 1st to October 31st. — Map (db m64956) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Lamy — Galisteo Basin / Southern Rockies
Galisteo Basin. The extensive lowland south of here is called Galisteo basin, a sag in the earth’s crust where rock layers are depressed and thickened. It is one of the northernmost basins in the Basin and Range province in New Mexico and is bordered by the Rocky Mountains immediately to the north. Elevation 6,400 feet. Southern Rockies. These foothills and the higher glaciated peaks to the north are the southern tip of the Rocky Mountains. This particular segment is known as the . . . — Map (db m55295) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Nambe Pueblo — The St. Francis Women's ClubNambe Pueblo
The St. Francis Women's Club was instrumental in raising funds to rebuild San Francisco de Asís Church, which had been condemned and demolished in about 1960. Their main fundraiser was the annual Fourth of July Ceremonial, featuring dances of Nambe and participating Pueblos. By 1974, the group raised enough money to rebuild the church, and, in the process helped to renew cultural traditions at Nambe. — Map (db m32833) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Pojoaque — Feliciana Tapia Viarrial (1904-1988)Pojoaque Pueblo
Feliciana Tapia Viarrial helped estaablish today's Pueblo of Pojoaque. Pojoaque, or Posuwageh, water drinking place, is a Tewa village founded circa A.D. 900. By 1919, the Pojoaque homelands were severely diminished. Most members left for neighboring Pueblos and Colorado. The families, including Feliciania's returned after 1932 when the federal government restored their homelands. Mother of eleven, Feliciana was a matriarch of the community as it revitalized its culture. — Map (db m32835) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), San Ildefonso Pueblo — Maria Montoya Martinez, (Povika, Pond Lily)(ca. 1886-1980) — San Ildefonso Pueblo
Maria Martinez was a self-taught potter who helped elevate Pueblo pottery to a respected art form. She and her husband Julian were successful polychrome potters and together revived black pottery. Their work improved the economic conditions of the community. Recognized internationally, Maria was an innovator with strong spiritual and cultural awareness. Her skills and techniques have been carried on successfully by subsequent generations. — Map (db m45657) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), San Ildefonso Pueblo — Pueblo of San Ildefonso
In the 1500’s, migrants from the Pajarito Plateau joined their Tewa-speaking relatives at San Ildefonso. The pueblo is famous as the home of the late María Martínez and other makers of polished black pottery. The modern church, a replica of that of 1711, was finished in 1968. — Map (db m45659) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz de la Cañada / Santa Cruz Plaza on the Camino Real
(side one) Santa Cruz de la Cañada In 1695, Governor Diego de Vargas founded his first town, Santa Cruz de la Cañada, designed to protect the Spanish frontier north of Santa Fe. The church, which still stands, was constructed in the 1730s. In 1837, residents revolted against Mexican authorities, resulting in the death of Governor Albino Perez. (side two) Santa Cruz Plaza On the Camino Real In 1695 Governor Diego de Vargas founded Santa Cruz de la . . . — Map (db m45673) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — CIP 2003.1 — “Homage to the Burro”by Charles Southard — City of Santa Fe 1% for Art in Public Places
Wood peddlers, farmers and merchants went through Burro Alley. Burros economically served the many cultures of New Mexico. For many years the people of Santa Fe relied on the burro for their welfare. — Map (db m54958) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — A Building Stood Here Before 1680
A building stood here before 1680. It was wrecked in the Great Indian Uprising. This house incorporates what remains. — Map (db m55708) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Amelia Elizabeth White / Mary Cabot Wheelwright(1878-1972) / (1878-1958)
(side one) Amelia Elizabeth White (1878-1972) Amelia Elizabeth White worked tirelessly to promote Indian art and to preserve Santa Fe's heritage. A philanthropist and community activist, she donated land for the Laboratory of Anthropology and the Wheelwright Museum, gave the city its first animal shelter, and established the Garcia Street Club for neighborhood children. Her estate, once a gathering place for local artists, is now home to the School for Advanced Research. . . . — Map (db m45484) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Annexation of New Mexico
In this plaza Gen. S. W. Kearney, U.S.A. proclaimed the peaceable annexation of New Mexico. Aug. 19, 1846. — Map (db m45577) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Another Korean War Memorial
Remember those Santa Feans who went to fight in the mud, the snow, and the choking dust of a strange land: Korea 1950–1053. — Map (db m73189) WM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Bicentennial Celebration / La Bajada
This is a two sided marker Side A: Bicentennial Celebration This facility was built by the New Mexico State Highway Department to commemorate the bicentennial birthday of the United States. Located 15 miles south of the plaza in Santa Fe, the nation's oldest capital city, the site atop La Bajada (The Descent) affords a spectacular view of the Ortiz, Jemez and Sangre de Cristo Mountains. (See Overlook Tableau) Side B: La Bajada La Bajada, or . . . — Map (db m55150) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Billy The Kid
The notorious New Mexico outlaw, also known as William Bonney, was captured and sucessfully imprisoned for the last time in the downstairs jail housed in this, the Cornell Building, at 208 W. San Francisco St., Santa Fe, from December 27, 1880 to April 3, 1881. On that date he was moved to Mesilla, New Mexico, for trial. He was found guilty, sentenced to hang, and moved to Lincoln County jail, from which he escaped. He was shot and killed by Sheriff Pat Garrett in Ft. Sumner, New Mexico on July 14, 1881. — Map (db m73714) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Cañoncito at Apache Canyon
Strategically located where the Santa Fe Trail emerges from Glorieta Pass, Cañoncito is where the New Mexico Governor Manuel Armijo weakly defended New Mexico against the American Army in 1846. In 1862, Union forces destroyed a Confederate supply train contributing to the Confederate loss at the battle of Glorieta, six miles to the east. — Map (db m24315) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Captain Diego Arias de Quiros
In 1697 this property was granted to Captain Diego Arias de Quiros by Spanish royal decree for his part in the reconquest of New Mexico with De Vargas. In 1879 bought by L. Bradford Prince, later Territorial Governor. In 1942 bought by Field estate for enlisted men’s club in World War II. — Map (db m55706) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Cross of the MartyrsCruz de los Mártires
In 1598 a group of Spanish colonists, led by Juan de Oñate of Zacatecas, Mexico, established a settlement along the banks of the Rio Grande north of present-day Española. In 1610 Governor Pedro de Peralta relocated the capital of the province to Santa Fe. Between 1610 and 1680, colonists moved into New Mexico, living primarily along the Rio Grande. Franciscan friars established missions at most of the Indian pueblos. Life was not always peaceful. In order to regain control of their homeland, in . . . — Map (db m73092) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — El Palacio Real
Fortress and Castle built by order of the Spanish crown 1610-1612 Seat of Government under three flags–Spanish, Mexican & American- From 1610 to 1910 the residence of over a hundred Governors & Captains General The oldest public building in the United States– — Map (db m45588) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — End of Santa Fe Trail
This stone marks the end of the Santa Fe Trail 1822 – 1879 — Map (db m45576) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Fray Angelico Chavez(1910 – 1996)
Priest – Poet – Historian – Archivist Artist – Author – Biographer – Genealogist And native-born New Mexican Major, U.S. Army – W.W. II & Korean Conflict “THE LOVE I Love is one, but one, The only Rose!” From The Single Rose 1948 This statue commissioned by Judge Harry Long Bigbee A long-time friend of the Chavez family. — Map (db m72746) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Gold and Turquoise
(side one) First gold placer mining west of the Mississippi began with the discovery of the precious metal in the rugged Ortiz Mountains south of here in 1828, 21 years before the California gold rush. Since then, the district has produced more than 99,000 ounces of placer gold and gold is currently produced from lode deposits. (side two) The prominent hills to the east and to the left are the Cerrillos Hills, site of ancient turquoise mines worked by the Indians . . . — Map (db m45477) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Hitching Post at the End of the Trail1776 – 1976
Roadrunner cowbells dedicate this hitching post at the end of the trail to American cattlemen and their horses for their glorious role in winning the West. — Map (db m72745) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Hyde Memorial State Park
This park is named after Benjamin Talbot Hyde, devoted educator of America’s youth. His family donated the 350 acres which constitutes the park to the State of New Mexico in 1934. Situated at an elevation of 8,500 feet in the scenic Sangre de Cristo Mountains, it is one of the oldest state parks in New Mexico. Facilities include a picnic area, campground, skating pond and sledding area. — Map (db m73259) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Jémez Mountains
(side one) On the skyline to the west are the Jémez Mountains where tremendous volcanic eruptions a million years ago created a huge caldera some 15 miles in diameter that now forms beautiful Valle Grande set amid a ring of volcanic peaks. Geothermal energy has been tapped from hot rock beneath the mountains. (side two) (cont' from front side) Flow and ash-fall deposits surrounding the volcanic range form the Pajarito Plateau, site of numerous, ancient cliff dwellings . . . — Map (db m45655) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Kateri Tekakwitha1656–1680
First Indian of North America to be promoted a saint. — Map (db m54967) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — La Castrense† 1760–1859
On this site stood the memorable Chapel of The Lady of Light, often called the “Castrense” which marked the northernmost limit of Mexican Baroque style. Here in Santa Fe flourished the Hispano-American civilization which this Chapel typified during the hard times following Mexico’s political independence from Spain, in 1821 the Chapel fell into disrepair. Finally after the removal of its art objects, it was de-consecrated and the building put to secular use during the administration . . . — Map (db m64841) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Lamy Building
Built in 1878, the Lamy Building was originally part of St. Michael's College. The lower two floors, which remain today, were constructed of adobe. The third floor, with its mansard roof and domed cupola, was framed in wood, probably to reduce the weight load. Local citizens contributed lumber for the project, and in addition 735 sheep, 2 goats, 2 oxen and 1 heifer to the building fund. The original stucco was a cementitious scored application suggesting stone masonry construction. The current . . . — Map (db m45594) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Laura Gilpin (1891-1979)
(side one) An outstanding photographer of the twentieth century, Laura Gilpin is best known for capturing southwestern cultures and landscapes on film. When her car ran out of gas on the Navajo reservation in 1930, she began photographing the local people. She published four books culminating with The Enduring Navaho in 1968. A master of the art of platinum printing, her photographs are found in museums around the world. (side two) New Mexico Historic Women . . . — Map (db m45483) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Maralyn Budke1936 - 2010 — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
Maralyn Budke, Inez Gill’s first intern, joined the Legislative Finance Committee in 1959 and was its first woman director from 1968-1982. A brilliant strategist and trusted advisor, Maralyn was a confidant to legislative leaders and chief of staff for Governors Cargo and Carruthers. Highly valued for her knowledge and insight, she mentored legislative and executive staff during 40 years of exemplary public service. Maralyn and Inez were two of the most important and influential women in New Mexico state government. — Map (db m72744) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Maria Gertrudis BarcelóDoña Tules — (c. 1800-1852)
(side one) Maria Gertrudis Barceló or Doña Tules, a notorious gambler and courtesan, operated a gambling house and saloon on Burro Alley in Santa Fe. She traveled up El Camino Real from Sonora, Mexico in 1815. Bishop Jean-Baptiste Lamy allowed this controversial lady to be buried in the south chapel of La Parroquia, the Santa Fe parish church, and used the money from her funeral for badly-needed repairs. (side two) New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative . . . — Map (db m45479) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968)
(side one) Four Sisters of Loretto, Mother Magdalen Hayden and Sisters Roberta Brown, Rosana Dant and Catherine Mahoney, arrived in Santa Fe from Kentucky on September 26, 1852. In January 1853 they established Our Lady of Light Academy, later known as Loretto, the first school for young women in the Territory of New Mexico. (side two) Between 1863 and 1879 the Sisters with the help of local people raised funds to build the Loretto Chapel. During the next century, . . . — Map (db m45597) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa FeOn the Camino Real — Population 58,000 - Elevation 7,045
Santa Fe, the oldest capital city in the United States, was established in 1610 as the seat of the Spanish colonial government for the Province of New Mexico. The Palace of the Governors, used by the Spanish, Mexican, and Territorial governors, has flanked the historic plaza since its construction in 1610, and now comprises part of the Museum of New Mexico. — Map (db m45575) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe OperaEntrance One Mile Ahead
The Santa Fe Opera, founded in 1957, has won worldwide acclaim for the high standards of its presentations and the success of its apprentice program. World and American premieres as well as standard operatic favorites are presented here. Most operas are performed in English. — Map (db m64870) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe Plaza
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark The heart of Santa Fe since its founding by Spanish colonial Governor Don Pedro De Peralta in 1609-1610, this public space was a terminus of El Camino Real and the Santa Fe Trail. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m71579) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe Trail
This marks the route of the Santa Fe Trail, Kansas City to Santa Fe. 1822–1880. — Map (db m61884) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Sena Plaza
When Don Juan Sena bought this land in 1796, Santa Fe belonged to Spain. When Major José D. Sena built this house for his bride Doña Isabel Cabeza de Baca in 1831, Santa Fe belonged to Mexico. In 1846 Santa Fe became part of the United States. — Map (db m55709) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Seton Village
Ernest Thompson Seton (1860-1946), naturalist, artist, writer, authority on Indian lore, and first Chief Scout of the Boy Scouts of America, lived here during the last part of his life. The village includes his home, art collection, library, and Indian museum. — Map (db m55151) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Sisters of Charity
(side one) The first Sisters of Charity arrived in New Mexico Territory in 1865 from Cincinnati at the request of Bishop Lamy with the mission of serving all people regardless of race, religion or ability to pay. Hundreds of sisters followed. They established some of the most significant institutions in the state including St. Vincent Hospital & Orphanage and St. Elizabeth Shelter for the Homeless in Santa Fe. (side two) Sisters Pauline Leo and Vincent O'Keefe, Civil . . . — Map (db m45482) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Site of Santa Fe’s First ChapelDemolished 1714
Also used as two-story defensive tower for Palace of the Governors during the 1600’s. Gen. Don Diego de Vargas was probably buried beneath the floor of this chapel in 1704. — Map (db m64842) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The "Oldest" House
The Historic Santa Fe Foundation Finds this building worthy of preservation The "Oldest" House (West Portion) — Map (db m45591) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The Old Spanish Trail
The Old Spanish Trail from Santa Fe to Los Angeles, in the years 1829 to 1848 pack mule trains regularly left the Santa Fe Plaza and northern New Mexico carrying woolen goods produced in New Mexico bound for California. Horses and mules were purchased and traded for and then driven back along the Old Spanish Trail to New Mexico and on to the mid west. This was a dangerous, but highly lucrative trade during those years. Several modern-day New Mexican families have ancestors who traveled the . . . — Map (db m64852) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The Spitz Clock
The Spitz Jewelry Store was established on the Plaza in 1881, and a clock, without works, was placed in front of the store to advertise the wares offered. Near the turn of the century, this “clock” was replaced by a functioning sidewalk clock which stood until 1915, when it was knocked down by one of the first motor trucks in Santa Fe. The third Spitz clock, standing here, was purchased second-hand by Salamon Spitz in 1916 and was brought to Santa Fe from Kansas City. It stood in . . . — Map (db m64966) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Three Wise WomenEva Scott Fenyes, 1849-1930 Leonora Scott Muse Curtin, 1879-1972
(side one) Three generations of one family worked more than 100 years to preserve the cultural heritage of New Mexico. Eva Fenyes created an artistic and photographic record of missions and adobe buildings, and preserved Spanish Colonial and Native American crafts. Leonora S. M. Curtin wrote Healing Herbs of the Upper Rio Grande, which documented the ethnobotany of the region and the plants used by traditional healers. (side two) Leonora Curtin Paloheimo, . . . — Map (db m45481) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — To the Heroes
(South face): To the Heroes of the Federal Army, who fell at the Battle of Valverde. Fought with the Rebels Febuary 21, 1862 (West face): To the Heroes of the Federal Army, who fell at the Battles of Canon Del Apache and Pigeon's Rancho (La Glorieta) fought with the Rebels March 28, 1862, and to those who fell at the Battle fought with the Rebels at Peralta, April 15, 1862. (North face): To the Heroes Who have fallen in . . . — Map (db m45586) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — U.S.S. Santa Fe CL-60
The officers and crew of the light cruiser, U.S.S. Santa Fe, dedicate this plaque to the memory of the gallant men who fought and served aboard her from 1942 to 1946. — Map (db m54960) WM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Sante Fe — San Miguel Church
Oldest church structure in U.S.A. The adobe walls and altar were built by Tlaxcalan Indians from Mexico under the direction of Franciscan Padres. ca. 1610 — Map (db m69872) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Tesuque Pueblo — Tesuque Rain GodsTesuque Pueblo
Seated clay figurines known as rain gods or "rain catchers" spring from Tesuque Pueblos's deep-rooted figurative pottery tradition. Popularized in the 1880's, Tesuque women made and sold the figurines in a variety of colors and designs, and earned income by selling them to curio dealers and tourists. Rain gods typically hold pots while other gods hold children animals and other objects. The tradition is practiced to this day. — Map (db m32853) HM
56 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 379 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.