|Minnesota (Scott County), Belle Plaine — The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration|
|In 1867 a New York architect sent the plans for a new church in Belle Plaine to Bishop Whipple. The church was built in 1868 on land contributed by Territorial Judge Andrew G. Chatfield, founder of Belle Plaine. The congregation organized in 1858 and peaked in 1871, when the Parochial Report to the Diocese showed 16 families with a total of 70 members.
In the 1860s and 1870s immigrants were coming to the Minnesota River Valley in large numbers from Germany, Ireland and Czechoslovakia. . . . — Map (db m65868) HM|
|Minnesota (Scott County), Jordan — Nachbar Donated Site|
|This site donated by Clement A. Nachbar, Mankato, Minn. Honoring the memory of his parents Mathias Nachbar & Wilhelmina Mertens Nachbar, who with their pioneer parents settled in Jordan vicinity, Minnesota Territory, in 1855. Dedicated to the early pioneers, and to be used exclusively for Historical and Memorial purposes, and for the enjoyment of the citizens of Jordan, for all time. 1937 — Map (db m68767) HM|
|Minnesota (Scott County), New Market — The Big Woods|
|When the first explorers came to what became Minnesota, they found a land with three very different personalities. To the north were the great forests of white pine and other conifers that later attracted armies of lumberjacks and made Minnesota a leading producer of lumber. To the south and west was the beginning of the Great Plains, the flat, fertile prairie that was broken into successful farms. And in what is now south-central Minnesota was the dense broadleaf forest that settlers called . . . — Map (db m15380) HM|
|Minnesota (Scott County), Savage — Camp Savage|
|During World War II, some 5,000-6,000 Japanese American soldiers, members of the U.S. Army's Military Intelligence Service, were given intensive and accelerated classes in the Japanese language at Camp Savage.
Their subsequent work translating captured documents, maps, battle plans, diaries, letters, and printed materials and interrogating Japanese prisoners made them "Our human secret weapons," according to President Harry Truman, who commended them following the war.
The Military . . . — Map (db m41673) HM|
|Minnesota (Scott County), Shakopee — SC-SPC-069 — Pond Mission|
|These foundations mark the site of a two-story frame building erected by the Reverend Samuel W. Pond in 1847. It served as a Presbyterian mission to the Shakopee Sioux, and as Pond's home until his death in 1891. An eight-foot stockade enclosed the house and a half-acre garden. The building was wrecked about 1907. — Map (db m19789) HM|
|Minnesota (Scott County), Shakopee — Shakopee Soldiers Monument|
|This monument is dedicated to those from Shakopee who died while in military service of our country.
[emblems of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Ladies Auxiliary V.F.W., American Legion Auxiliary]
W. Lincoln •
A. Strehlow •
A. Moriarty •
S. Demers •
L. Hobbs •
J. Phillips •
S. Miller •
R. Schaefer •
H. Mather •
J. Bohls •
N. Bieren •
J. Coburn •
J. Sullivan •
J. Beck •
W. Scherer •
R. Schoeber • . . . — Map (db m49792) HM|