HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Seminole County Markers
Florida (Seminole County), Longwood — Seminole County
  The importance of Seminole County in the history of the area lies in its location at the navigable headwaters of the St. Johns River and the elevated forest land south of the three large lakes within its boundaries: Monroe, Harney, and Jesup. Ancient Indian mounds along these waters indicate its importance before recorded history. The perfection of the steamboat in the early part of the 19th century opened the river waterways to commerce, and the banks of these lakes became the staging points . . . — Map (db m52360) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Longwood — Seminole County
The importance of Seminole County in the history of the area lies in its location at the navigable headwaters of the St. Johns River and the elevated forest land south of the three large lakes within its boundaries: Monroe, Harney, and Jesup. Ancient Indian mounds along these waters indicate its importance before recorded history. The perfection of the steamboat in the early part of the 19th century opened the river waterways to commerce, and the banks of these lakes became the staging points . . . — Map (db m54051) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Longwood — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
"In 1774, William Bartram, famed Naturalist, camped near here and identified a wide variety of native plants and wildlife." — Map (db m52356) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Citrus to Celery
At the turn of the twentieth century the City of Sanford was one of the largest fruit and vegetable shipping centers in the United States. In the 1870s, the citrus industry was an integral part of the area's economy when Henry S. Sanford established his grove, "Belair," just outside the City of Sanford's original limits. Belair was developed as an agricultural experiment station where more than 140 varieties of citrus were tested for their adaptability to the Florida climate. During the winter . . . — Map (db m55378) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — City of Sanford World War Memorial
Dedicated By the City of Sanford to her Sons who made the Svpreme Sacrifice In the World War A D 1926 Map (db m55695) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Civil War — 1861-1865
In 1861, following years of increasing hostility over the issues of slavery and states' rights, slave holding states separated from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America. The Civil War (War Between the States) began April 12, 1861 with a Confederate attack on Fort Sumter in South Carolina. President Abraham Lincoln called for the creation of a Union military force made up of volunteers from the states north of the Mason-Dixon Line. In September 1861, he issued the . . . — Map (db m57548) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — F-335 — Dr. Seth French (1824~1896)
  Born in Potsdam, New York on May 2, 1824, French served as a Surgeon with the 21st and 35th New York Regiments, New York Volunteers during the early years of the Civil War. In 1863 he moved to Eau Clair, Wisconsin but susceptibility to rheumatism caused him to seek a warmer climate. French arrived in Sanford in the early 1870's coming up the St. Johns River on the steamship, Darlington. Soon thereafter, he bought 20 acres of land and built his house which stood on this land from 1872 . . . — Map (db m52228) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Fixed Signal
  This railroad signal device is a semaphore, originally located in Maitland on the main line of what is now the CSX Railroad. In 1880 the South Florida Railway built a narrow gauge railway between Sanford and Orlando running through Maitland. Taken over by Henry Plant in 1883 the line was extended to Tampa (115 miles) that same year and later upgraded to standard gauge. Today's railroad from Sanford to Orlando is on the same roadbed laid out in 1880.    This type of signal was the . . . — Map (db m52447) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Fort Mellon and Mellonville
During the Second Seminole War in 1836, the U.S. Army established Camp Monroe as a staging area for unloading troops and supplies. The army built the road that eventually became Mellonville Avenue to connect the camp to the river. The camp was enclosed by pickets on three sides but open to the river. Approximately 300 men were based at the camp. A long pier was built in 1837 at the end of the army road for receiving supplies. This became the Mellonville Pier. Over time, a river port developed . . . — Map (db m52159) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Fort Mellon Park — 1837-1937
To commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the first settlement on the shores of Lake Monroe named Fort Mellon in memory of Captain Charles Mellon who died in defense of the fort: subsequently known as Mellonville and later Sanford. — Map (db m70435) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Fort Reid
    Fort Reid was named and established in this area during the Second Seminole War by Colonel William Harney on July 7, 1840, in honor of Robert Raymond Reid, Fourth Territorial Governor of Florida. Stationed here between July 1840 and January 1841 were the Headquarters of Colonel Twiggs of the Second Dragoons, including the commands of the St. Johns District, Army of the South, plus the District South of New Smyrna under Col. Harney. For the year of 1840, Fort Reid reached a force of 417 and . . . — Map (db m52162) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Georgetown
The community of Georgetown, a suburb east of Sanford Avenue, and north of Celery Avenue was established circa 1870. It was comprised of lots sold by Henry Sanford to the early black pioneers who had made their way from Virginia, the Carolinas, West Florida and as far away as the West Indies. In 1885, the first Georgetown school was located at the northeast corner of Seventh and Cypress Avenue. It was founded with $100 from the school board. Mr. McLester was the first principal, followed by . . . — Map (db m54205) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Georgetown and Goldsboro
African Americans were first brought to the Sanford area by slave-holding families settling in the Fort Mellon area during the 1840s. Later in the nineteenth century, Henry Sanford welcomed black residents to his city when it was established in 1870 during the time of Reconstruction. Mr. Sanford attempted to use black laborers in his citrus groves, but was discouraged by the violent reaction of some locals. In the 1880s, Henry Sanford created the African American neighborhood of Georgetown on . . . — Map (db m54203) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Goldsboro
The west Sanford community of Goldsboro, at the turn of the 21st century, is home to more than 4,000 people, was the second Florida town incorporated by black citizens. William Clark opened a store in 1886 in the village of Goldsboro and on December 1, 1891, registered voters incorporated the town. Many of the residents were employed by the nearby railroad yard where thousands of carloads of citrus and celery were loaded for markets in the North. Others worked in the fields, groves and the . . . — Map (db m54206) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — F-5 — Henry Shelton Sanford — Grove and Experimental Gardens
In this vicinity Henry Shelton Sanford, pioneer citrus grower, established the St. Gertrude grove in 1871. There, and at his Belair grove and experimental gardens, he advanced the industry through development of some 140 types of citrus. The Sanford gardens experimented with other tropical fruits, planting 30,000 exotic trees from South America and Africa. Much of the labor in the groves was performed by Swedish immigrants who settled at nearby New Upsala. — Map (db m52220) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Hotel Forrest Lake
Known by local residents as the "Mayfair," this three-story Mediterranean Revival hotel was built in 1925. It was named after Forrest Lake, at the time the mayor of the City of Sanford, who commissioned its construction for one-half million dollars. The 158-room hotel was designed by Sanford architect Elton J. Moughton. It was part of the waterfront beautification plan that included construction of the bulkhead and Seminole Boulevard. Additionally, East First Street had to be extended from its . . . — Map (db m55379) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Korean War — 1950-1953
At the end of World War II, Korea was divided into two parts, north and south, at the 38th parallel. Troops from the Soviet Union occupied the north and the United States forces occupied the south with the intention of eventually unifying the country but Cold War fears made this impossible. In 1948, following a general election, the Republic of Korea was established in the south. At the same time, the Communist Democratic People's Republic of Korea was established in the north. On June 25, 1950 . . . — Map (db m74149) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Lake Monroe Bridge
Front The Lake Monroe Bridge was the first electrically operated swing bridge in Florida. In 1932-33 the State used federal assistance to build this bridge, which replaced a wooden toll bridge that was manually operated. The construction of the bridge provided economic relief for an area hurt by the economic collapse of the Depression era. The bridge was fabricated by Ingall's Iron Works of Birmingham, Alabama; the swing machinery manufactured by Earle Gear and Machine Co., . . . — Map (db m45490) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Marina Isle
Marina Isle was designated by the City of Sanford in 1964 to improve the boat basin created by Memorial Park and the Palmetto Avenue Jetty. The 13 acre, $2 million dollar island was built with fill pumped from the bottom of Lake Monroe. The design included boat slips, a motel, and a dry storage building. Construction began in 1966 and was completed in 1967. — Map (db m55355) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — FL-SC017 — Naval Air Station - Sanford
In November 1942, NAS Sanford was commissioned to meet the need for additional naval aviation training facilities. Originally planned for bomber training, within a year it converted to fighter plane training. A major portion of fighter pilots that served on aircraft carriers in the Pacific during WWII trained at the field. “Touch and Go” training simulated aircraft landings at the airfield at Osceola and other nearby fields. Fifty-three pilots lost their lives in plane crashes in . . . — Map (db m46608) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Old Folks Home
This structure built in 1926 is believed to be the only county "Old Folks Home" still standing in Florida. The unique exterior finish called "pebble dash" qualified the building to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. In 1925, social security did not exist, so local residents who could not care for themselves needed a place to live. To provide a home for these people in need, the Seminole County Board of Commissioners approved $9,020.00 to purchase 82 acres where a . . . — Map (db m52413) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Oviedo Turntable — The Oviedo Turntable was located on the "Dinky Line"
  In October of 1890 the Osceola & Lake Jesup Railway extended its line ten miles, from Oviedo to Winter Park. This line was known as the "Coffee Pot" or "Dinky Line." In 1891 this line became part of the East Florida and Atlantic Railroad, and circa 1892-1894 was re-named the Florida Central & Peninsular (FC&P), nicknamed the "Friends Come and Push."    You could leave Oviedo at 7:50 a.m., travel through Winter Park to Orlando, stay the day and return to Oviedo that evening. You might be . . . — Map (db m52417) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Rollins College — Florida's Oldest Institution of Higher Education
Was on 28 April 1885 Incorporated, organized and named in the Lyman Bank Bldg., southwest corner of Park and First Streets here in Sanford by Rev. E. P. Hooker D. D. Rev. J. A. Tomlinson Hon. F. W. Lyman Rev. S. D. Smith To commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of this significant event in the development of education in Florida and to observe the semicentennial of the founding of Rollins College this marker is placed here 28 April 1935 by the Sallie Harrison Chapter, Daughters of . . . — Map (db m55354) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Sanford Railroad Historical Data
(Front side): Sanford railroading had its physical beginning January 10, 1880 when former President U. S. Grant broke ground near this spot for the South Florida RR. The South Florida RR operated from 1880-1886, its name successively changed to Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West Ry, 1886-1899, the Plant System 1899-1902, the Atlantic Coast Line RR 1902-1967, the Seaboard Coast Line RR 1967-1980, and in 1980 becoming the CSX Corporation, a union of the Seaboard and the Chessie Systems. With . . . — Map (db m54048) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Sanford State Farmers' Market
On December 19, 1934, the first state owned Farmers' Market in the nation was dedicated on this site at the corner of 13th and French Avenue, Sanford, Florida. Located on 20 acres acquired by the City of Sanford and Seminole County from Alec V. and Katherine K. French, the market became a center of market activity for farmers throughout Central Florida. By 1941, this first successful model led the way to over 27 similar markets serving the agricultural industry in Florida.     The first . . . — Map (db m52232) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Sanford's First Residents
Over 1,000 years ago, the Timucua (tee-MOO-quo) people established villages in this area. They fished, hunted, and grew crops such as maize, squash, and beans. By the 1700s, the Timucuans began to disappear as they succumbed to war and disease brought by the English, French, and Spanish colonists as well as being assimilated into European culture and religion. In 1763, the last Timucuans were taken to Cuba by the Spanish. Evidence of the Timucuan way of life can be found in middens: mounds of . . . — Map (db m55389) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Second Seminole War — 1835-1842
The Second Seminole War was the most costly war, in lives and money, ever fought by the United States government against Native Americans. This second of three wars resulted from the Treaty of Payne's Landing in 1832 which required the Seminoles to leave Florida. The Seminoles refused to leave and the war began. In 1836, Camp Monroe was established as the East Florida headquarters for the US Army. The camp was positioned strategically on the southern shore of Lake Monroe on the St. Johns River. . . . — Map (db m57542) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Seminole County Courthouses
Mosquito County was established in 1824 by the U.S. Legislative Council. Mosquito County's name was changed to Orange in 1845. Seminole County was established in 1913 by the Florida Legislature when it was partitioned from Orange County, with Sanford named as the County Seat. The first Seminole County Courthouse was established in a few rooms of the Welbourne Building on North Park Avenue in Sanford. In 1918 Seminole County purchased the Elk's building, designed by L. Percival Hutton, to . . . — Map (db m52365) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Seminole County World War Monument
(Base: front side)Dedicated to the Memory of the brave sons of Seminole County who laid their lives on the sacrificial altar of Democracy in the World War 1914 — 1918 (Base: right side)Erected and presented to Seminole County by Frank L. Miller (Base: rear side)Only those are fit to live Who do not fear to die (Base: left side)Received and accepted by Judge E.F. Housholder Feby. 23, 1919 (Pillar: front side)— NAVY — — . . . — Map (db m55694) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Site of Fort Mellon
Formerly Camp Fanning where on February 8, 1837 during one of the fiercest battles of the Seminole Wars Capt. Mellon Commandant was killed in an attack of 400 braves led by King Philip and Coacoochee — Map (db m52142) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church — Erected - 1910-1913 — 819 Cypress Avenue
Saint James African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church has been located on Cypress Avenue since 1880 on land purchased from General Henry S. Sanford. The current structure was designed by Prince W. Spears and built in 1910-1913. The design of the church is a Ravenna and Bacchus style of Constantinople (circa 527 A.D.). It contains an octagonal baptistry within a square structure; slanting theatre floor; circularly positioned pews; an octagonal cupola; and four matching stained-glass windows . . . — Map (db m54207) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — St. Johns River and Lake Monroe
Sanford sits on the southern shore of Lake Monroe in the middle basin of the St. Johns River. The river rises in the marshes of Indian River County and flows slowly north 310 miles to Jacksonville and the Atlantic Ocean. The river spreads out in a chain of lakes including the five mile wide Lake Monroe, named for U.S. President James Monroe. In the 1800s, riverboats opened south Florida to tourists and settlers. Lake Monroe, the head of navigation on the river, was chosen as the location for . . . — Map (db m55396) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Steamboats
Where you are standing is the site of the first Central Florida's established expressway. Steamboat navigation on the St. Johns River provided the entry to Central Florida during the 19th century. During the Second Seminole War (1835-42) the US Army established Fort Mellon on their wilderness shores, supplying nine named steamboats and some thirty chartered ships. Afterward steamboat traffic served to provide contact and trade to the sparsely settled region. During the 1870s and '80s steamer . . . — Map (db m52389) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Bishop Block — Erected - 1887 — 301-309 East First Street
Construction began in December 1887 by Captain J.O. Northesag, of New York, for the owner J.N. Bishop. Completion in 1888 made the Bishop Block a significant structure of Sanford's downtown commercial district. It was originally occupied by a milliner, jeweler, gents clothier and a confectionary. In the early 20th century the City Hall was located here. The building is two story, brick construction with a rectangular floor plan. The style is Romanesque Revival featuring a flat roof with . . . — Map (db m53222) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Brumley - Puleston Building — Erected - 1922 — 100 East First Street
The contractor, George A. Fuller, who was also the builder of the Lincoln Memorial, the FlatIron Building, and the New York Biltmore Hotel, started construction on this building in 1922 for Dr. L.A. Brumley and Dr. Samuel Puleston. The first business, Roumillat and Anderson Drug Store, opened shortly after the building completion on May 5, 1923. Construction is of Greendale rug-faced brick and is trimmed in artificial stone on the front and west sides. Hollow tile and stucco complete the rear . . . — Map (db m53591) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The DeForest Block — Erected - 1887 — 121 East First Street
The DeForest Block, built in 1887, was Mr. Henry L. DeForest's first brick building in the downtown commercial district. It is one of the oldest brick buildings in Sanford and the only one that survived the disastrous fire of 1887. One of the original occupants was a grocery store. It has also been called the Seminole Bank Building after another of its early occupants. The architectural style is Beaux-Arts Classicism with a rectangular floor plan and a flat roof with parapet. There is an . . . — Map (db m53316) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The DeForest Building — Erected - 1889 — 104 East First Street
After construction in 1889, the DeForest Building, named for its owner Henry L. DeForest, became one of Sanford's original structures in the late nineteenth century commercial district. This was Mr. DeForest's second downtown building. The city directory lists a crockery and glassware business run by Mr. A. Siman as one of the building's early tenants. The Romanesque Revival architectural style, constructed of brick, was originally distinguished by three pier-like projections above the facade. . . . — Map (db m53309) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The E. E. Brady Livery Stable — Erected - 1890 — 113 South Palmetto Avenue
Built between 1890 and 1895, this small building originally housed a blacksmith and wagon shop. From 1910 to 1914, E.E. Brady ran a livery, feed, and sales barn here. By 1916 this building was serving as the Seminole County Jail. It later served as the County Health Department. The original brick facade was altered in recent years. The shed roof across the front was removed and the deteriorating facade masked by stucco. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976 Map (db m53223) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The First National Bank No. 1 — Erected - 1883 — 101 West First Street
Constructed in 1883, this building was originally the Lyman Bank and is the oldest brick building in the downtown commercial district. The bank was reorganized as the First National Bank of Sanford and in 1908 the building was remodeled. The Neo-Classical style facade of white marble over a brick foundation has been partially masked by stucco. The floor plan is square and the roof is flat with a parapet. The original windows were arched on both floors but are now rectangular. In 1908 the main . . . — Map (db m53553) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The First National Bank No. 2 — Erected - 1922 — 101 East First Street
The First National Bank opened for business in this building on October 4, 1923. Designed by the New York form of Mowbray and Uffinger and constructed by the George A. Fuller Co., this six story building was Sanford's first "skyscraper". This was the second home of the First National Bank which moved to this location from directly across Park Avenue. Elton J. Moughton, a well known Sanford architect was the first tennant in the building. The First National Bank closed it's doors in July, 1929. . . . — Map (db m53555) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Gate City of South Florida
In 1842, the U.S. Government began to encourage settlers to relocate to Florida by offering free land. Settlers came from all along the east coast, mostly Georgia, Virginia, and the Carolinas. In 1870 Henry Sanford acquired 12,548 acres of land at the southern most navigable point of the St. John's River system to create a river port city that he dubbed "The Gate City of South Florida." In 1877, the 12,548 acre "Sanford Grant" was incorporated as the City of Sanford. Soon after the city was . . . — Map (db m55441) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Henry B. Lord Building — Erected - 1895 — 112 South Park Avenue
This small one story rectangular building was built between 1890 and 1895. Constructed of brick, it has a flat roof with a parapet. The exterior is covered with ceramic tile, stucco and metal lath which mask the early wood storefront. However, the original tin pressed ceiling still exists. H.B. Lord Jewelry and Optical was established in 1879 and moved to this building when it was completed. It is the site of Sanford's oldest jewelry store and has been a jewelry store for most of its history. . . . — Map (db m53317) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Hill Hardware Building — Erected - 1917 — 108 South Magnolia Avenue
This building was erected in 1917 by the Directors of the Seminole County Bank shortly after the adjacent bank building facing First Street was completed. It was constructed of brick and stucco and intended to provide room for two stores downstairs and offices upstairs. It was first occupied by Hill Hardware, owned and operated by Mr. W.J. Hill. Basically unaltered since construction, the building has a rectangular floor plan, a flat roof with parapet and a drop molding cornice over the two . . . — Map (db m53307) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Imperial Opera House — Erected - 1910 — 119 South Magnolia Avenue
Sanford's center for entertainment, the Imperial Opera House opened June 15, 1910. The contractor W.G. Hammond built the building for the owners T.J. Miller and son. George A. DeCottes was the first lessee of this building which replaced a barn-like structure across the street as the town's opera house. The building is constructed in the Florentine Palazzo style of rusticated concrete block with a flat roof and parapet. The exterior has since been covered with stucco and the mezzanine windows . . . — Map (db m53292) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Meisch Building — Erected - 1923 — 224 East First Street
When constructed in 1923 the Meisch building was considered a typical example of American commercial architecture. It was designed by W.B. Talley, and built by R.J. Gallespie for the Sanford Investment Co., John Meisch, President. The materials were supplied by Baker & Homes of Jacksonville. Ball Hardware, a local firm supplied paint and hardware and the stucco came from the John S. Graham firm in Jacksonville. Original tenants include: Sanford Shoe and Clothing, Piggly-Wiggly Grocery, Hunt's . . . — Map (db m53082) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings — Erected - 1910 — 200-208 East First Street
the N.P. Yowell Building was built in 1910 for a prominent Orlando merchant of the same name. It was designed by Jacksonville architect W.B. Talley, and built by George Venable. When opened, it was a dry goods store. Built at the same time was an immediate adjoining neighbor to the east, the Garner-Woodruff building. Designed and built by the same architect and contractor, this building was constructed for N.H. Garner and Frank L. Woodruff who were prominent local real estate agents and . . . — Map (db m53308) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Peoples Bank Building and Block — Erected - 1905-1910 — 201-203 East First Street
The Peoples Bank building, on the Southeast corner of First Street and Magnolia Avenue, was completed in 1906 and was the most modern building in this block. The Peoples Bank opened its doors on August 30, 1906. It was built by the contractor W.G. Hammond of pressed white sand brick and stucco in an ell shape covered by a flat roof with parapet. There are brick pilasters on the West side. The building has been altered several times, one of which removed the extension on the west side.. The . . . — Map (db m53246) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The PICO Block — Erected - 1887 — 114 West First Street
The PICO block was completed about 1887 for Henry B. Plant, President of the Plant Investment Company (PICO) and served as the company offices. The remains of a carriageway may be seen on the west side along Oak Avenue which was originally Railroad Way. The second floor was converted to apartments in 1920 and the building renamed the Welaka Apartments. The floor plan is ell shaped and the building is constructed of brick with a partial stucco finish. The roof is flat with a parapet. The . . . — Map (db m53597) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The PICO Hotel, Restaurant, and Stores — Erected - 1887 — 209 North Oak Avenue 200 North Park Avenue
Built as a hotel in 1887 for Henry B. Plant, President of the Plant Investment Co. (PICO), the PICO Building served as a terminal hotel for the railroads and two river steamers owned by Plant that served Sanford. The architect was W.T. Cotter of Sanford and the builder was the H.M. Papworth Construction Company. It resembled another of Plant's hotels, the Tampa Bay Hotel. The architectural style is Turkish. It was built of brick to look like a Turkish palace or mosque. The windows have . . . — Map (db m53606) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Sanford Herald Building — Erected - 1910 — 107 South Magnolia Avenue
This two story building was built in 1910. It served the Sanford Herald, a newspaper that began publication in 1908, as offices and printing room. The architect and builder was W.G. Hammond. The Sanford Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) was chartered on March 7, 1889. The lodge moved from Cypress Avenue to this building in 1933. Construction is of rusticated concrete block and had the appearance of a small sixteenth century Florentine palazzo. The windows are plain with a . . . — Map (db m53247) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The U.S. Post Office — Erected - 1917 — 230 East First Street
The U.S. Post Office Building was built in 1917 by Algernon Blair of Montgomery, Alabama with James Wetmore serving as the supervising architect. The Post Office opened for business August 1, 1918. It is typical of buildings constructed by the U.S. Government up through the 1930's. When the new Post Office was finished in 1962, only two blocks away, the building became the City Library for Sanford, and in 1975 it became a part of the Seminole County library system. Architecturally it fits into . . . — Map (db m53081) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Whalers Saloon — Erected - 1887 — 112 South Palmetto Avenue
Finished in 1887, this building was built by Colonel A.M. Thrasher who was President of the Sanford Ice and Cold Storage Company. It originally housed a saloon and a sporting goods store. The Romanesque Revival architecture style is typical of many small brick commercial buildings of the late 1880's and is distinguished by it's rather crude and shallow decorative brickwork. The ground story facade was plain brick, now covered. Above the marquee are a brick cornice and modillion and piers at . . . — Map (db m53226) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Veterans Memorial Park
Veterans Memorial Park was built in 1924 as part of the bulkhead project along Sanford's waterfront. The original park was built as the city pier and yacht basin. The park had a large concrete bandshell and a flagpole with a tiered fountain at its base. The park was dedicated in 1927 as a memorial to the war dead of World War I and in 1973 was rededicated to all veterans. The bandshell was removed in the 1970s and the flagpole was moved in 2003. The park was renovated and rededicated in 2006. . . . — Map (db m55499) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Vietnam War — 1954-1975
The Vietnam War began when Vietnamese nationalists ended one hundred years of colonial rule by forcing the French out of the country. The 1954 Geneva Peace Accords divided the country into North and South Vietnam to separate the opposing groups seeking control to the government. In 1961, President John Kennedy's administration began sending advisers into South Vietnam to train and arm the local population to halt the advance of the Communist forces of the north. The war escalated under . . . — Map (db m57568) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — World War II — 1939-1945
World War II began in September 1939 when Germany, under Adolph Hitler, invaded Poland. England and France declared war on Germany. Italy, led by Benito Mussolini, allied with Germany and most of Europe quickly came under the control of invading German troops. The Germans were unable to invade England because of the English Channel and England's superiority in the air. The United States entered the war after the Japanese attacked the US Navy fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on December 7, 1941. . . . — Map (db m75246) HM
55 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 158 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.