Built in 1899 as headquarters for the Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway No. 1. The Brotherhood was established February 26, 1899 for the purpose of fraternal enjoyment and mutual aid. Over 30 camps were established throughout Alaska and the Yukon and . . . — Map (db m72784) HM
This Wells Fargo Store began as the Bank of Alaska on March 20, 1916.
In 1950, Bank of Alaska took on a national character as National Bank of Alaska, and went on to become a pioneer and leader in branch banking in Alaska.
In 2000, National . . . — Map (db m73328) HM
Captain William Moore first saw the Skagway River Valley and the White Pass in the spring of 1887 when he came with a Canadian survey team to determine the exact position of the 141st meridian separating Alaska and what is now Canada’s Yukon. He was . . . — Map (db m72783) HM
Frank Reid, guarding the approach to Sylvester's Wharf, where the vigilantes were meeting to restore law and order, shot "Soapy Smith" who failed to stop when challenged, July 8, 1898. — Map (db m72790) HM
[Seal of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police] In Commemoration of Inspector Charles Constantine and Staff Sergeant Charles Brown North West Mounted Police First members of this historic Canadian police force who landed at Skagway, Alaska . . . — Map (db m69014) HM
The building before you is an historical structure known as “Jeff. Smith’s Parlor.” It has recently been acquired by Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, a unit of the National Park Service. Jeff. Smith’s Parlor, a part of the . . . — Map (db m72785) HM
Mollie was a resourceful and independent young woman with a wanderlust and love of frontiers. In 1890, she left home at 18 for Butte, Montana where she spent seven years. Landing in Skagway in 1897, Mollie became popular as a waitress and member of . . . — Map (db m72786) HM
Skagway was originally spelled S-K-A-G-U-A, a Tlingit Indian word for “windy place.” The first people in the area were Tlingits from the Chilkoot and Chilkat villages in the Haines-Klukwan area. From a fish camp in nearby Dyea, they used . . . — Map (db m69128) HM
The citizens of Skagway, Alaska wish to forever remember the sacrifices of our military servicemen who died in wartime. These young men left home and community to answer the call to help preserve peace and freedom in the world.
World War . . . — Map (db m72787) WM
Skagway had a deep-water harbor and was the starting point of the White Pass trail, which began in the river valley and let through the mountains. Skagway was the place where thousands of stampeders started their journey to the Klondike gold mines. . . . — Map (db m72782) HM
Measuring 50’ X 100’, this was once the largest buildings in Dyea. I was built on pilings for fear of high tide coming up that far in 1898. Warehouses were used to sort out massive piles of mining supplies and bring order to the chaos that had . . . — Map (db m72788) HM
[Rendering of a loaded pack horse and pack mule] The dead are speaking in memory of us three thousand pack animals that laid our bones on these awful hills during the Gold Rush of 1897-1898. We now thank those listening that heard our groans . . . — Map (db m69126) HM
Built as McCabe College for Women in 1899-1900. This is the first granite building in Alaska. It served as a Federal Court House from 1901 until statehood when it was purchased by the city of Skagway for a museum. — Map (db m72789) HM