HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Somerset County Markers
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — “George” 2001
Did General George Washington sleep here? Maybe. We do know, history says our “Grain Room” stored grain for his troops during the winter of 1778. Artist: Adrienne Crombie, Frenchtown, N.J. Millstone 18th CenturyOne of the two stones used for grinding grain to make flour. These stones are still used today. — Map (db m32680) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Basking Ridge
First settled by James Pitney and others about 1720. General Charles Lee was captured at the Tavern by the British, December 13, 1776. — Map (db m8514) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Basking Ridge
A log Hospital for Continental Army soldiers was located on the slope of this ravine. A frame Presbyterian Church stood at the top of the hill near the famous oak and burial ground. — Map (db m8526) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church Graveyard
In memory of the Revolutionary War soldiers buried in the graveyard of the Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church Alward, Benjamin • Ayres, John • Ayres, Nathaniel • Baird, John • Bockoven, George • Boylan, John • Brees, John Jr. • Brees, John Sr. • Brees, Stephen • Carle, John • Carle, Jonas • Colwell, Hugh • Dott, Daniel • Doughty, William • Finley, James • Hall, John • Johnson, Samuel • Kirkpatrick, Alexander • Kirkpatrick, David • Kirkpatrick, James • . . . — Map (db m21970) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township 9-11 MemorialSeptember 11, 2001
We shall never forget our friends and neighbors who rode the rails with us that morning but did not return with us that night. May this tree serve as a living memorial to the following community members who died in the tragic attack on the World Trade Center: David O. Campbell • Stepen P. Dimino • Fohn W. Farrell • Louis V. Fersini Jr. • Michael B. Finnegan • Christopher H. Forsythe • Steven G. Genovese • Robert J. Halligan • Kevin J. Hannaford • John Hartz • . . . — Map (db m22510) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township Veterans Monument
A tribute to the armed forces personnel from Bernards Township who have served our country. Dedicated with deep appreciation, we honor their great courage in the defense of freedom throughout the world. Korea 1950-1955 Vietnam 1964-1975 Grenada & Beirut 1982-1984 Panama 1989-1990 Persian Gulf 1990- *Thomas R. Ike • *Anthony K Johnson • *Brendan J. Kearns • *Richard J. Seibert • *William L. Williams — Map (db m36866) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township War Memorial
In Honor of All Who Served Our Country — Map (db m18232) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township War Memorial1917 - 1918           1941 - 1945
Dedicated in grateful appreciation to the men and women of Bernards Township who served in the armed forces during World War I and World War II that Peace, Freedom and Justice might not perish from the Earth. — Map (db m39974) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Early Church
A pioneer log church was built under the ancient oak before 1731. A frame church replaced it in 1749. Present structure, 1839. — Map (db m8508) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead
The Rev. Samuel Kennedy established a classical school here in 1764. Col. Ephraim Martin lived here during the Revolutionary War. The Stelle family and their descendants resided here 1794 - 1940. — Map (db m20159) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead
Period of significance - c. 1762-1852 Listed New Jersey Register of Historic Places - 2003 Listed National Register of Historic Places - 2004 The farmstead is historically associated with the Rev. Samuel Kennedy, a renowned local minister and educator; Col. Ephraim Martin, a Revolutionary War soldier and New Jersey legislator; and Oliver Stelle, a prominent land owner. The farmstead is significant for its association with these early residents as well as containing a good example of . . . — Map (db m32986) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Lord Stirling Estate
This parkland includes part of Stirling’s 1762 estate. Stirling (1726-83), a friend of George Washington, was a Revolutionary War Major General. — Map (db m8530) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Lord Stirling ManorBrick Outbuildings
This property is the site of Lord Stirling Manor, built by William Alexander "Lord Stirling" in 1763 where he lived until 1779. The original residence was razed by fire in 1920 and a new residence was built on part of the remaining foundation where it stands today. During the American Revolution, Lord Stirling was a major general in the Continental Army and one of Washington's most able and trusted officers. It is estimated that the two brick outbuildings were constructed circa 1840 by the . . . — Map (db m40353) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Madisonville
An early 1700s hamlet, home of Coffee House Tavern a sawmill and a nub and spoke factory. — Map (db m8907) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Site of Widow White’s Tavern
Here on December 13, 1776, Major General Charles Lee, second in command to General Washington in the Continental Army, was taken prisoner by a British Patrol. — Map (db m8511) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Somerset Hills Airport
Site of the Somerset Hills Airport in operation from 1932 - 1981. An important airmail destination during aviation's pioneer days, it also was a U.S. Army Air Force flight instruction facility from 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m36367) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Southard Park
Henry Southard 1767-1842 Settled in Basking Ridge, 1755. Justice of the Peace, Assemblyman, U.S. Representative Samuel L. Southard 1787-1842 Son of Henry, Born in Basking Ridge, Tenth Governor of New Jersey, Secretary of the Navy, U.S. Senator. Father and son served together in the 16th Congress. The former Southard residence stands to the north of the park. Ten acres of these lands were the gift of Nelson and Rose Schaenen. Dedicated July 4th . . . — Map (db m21971) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — The Brick Academy
This building was erected in 1809 by Rev. Robert Finley to house a classical school founded by him in 1797. Statesmen, professional men, and business leaders were among its graduates. The academy served as a public school from 1853 to 1903. Owned by A.O.U.W. 1904-25 Jr. O.U.A.M. 1925-48. Became Township Hall 1924. Purchased by Township of Bernards 1948. — Map (db m18305) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8902) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — William ChildsTo The Memory of — 1865 - 1938
Who has enriched and beautified our community by the restoration of historic sites and buildings. This tablet is erected in grateful appreciation by the Basking Ridge Historical Society. — Map (db m19596) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Bedminster War Memorials
(See Markers Below) — Map (db m16977) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Lamington Black Cemetery19th Century Burial Grounds on the National Register of Historical Places
There are 97 identified graves here: 36 with names and 61 unknown, including former slaves and free blacks who were members of the Lamington Presbyterian Church. Remains of 5 Civil War veterans who fought heroically for the Union lie here. As you walk through the grounds, note the Bible passages on some of ther markers and enjoy the feeling of peace. — Map (db m16975) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Presbyterian Church of Lamington
Built About 1740. Rebuilt 1826. Front Added 1854. — Map (db m19599) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — The Jacobus Vanderveer House
Pre-Revolutionary Dutch Farmhouse Built c. 1760. Headquarters of General Henry Knox During The 1778-1779 Winter Encampment Of The Continental Army Near Pluckemin — Map (db m16983) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Benardsville — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8901) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernards Township — Frederick W. Schmidt
This monument has been placed here in memory of Frederick W. Schmidt 1865-1926 By the trustees of his estate Mr. Schmidt owned and operated the nearby Millington Quarry which opened in 1895. He later organized the North Jersey Quarry Company which in 1950 became Houdaille Construction Materials Incorporated, a subsidiary of Houdaille Industries Incorporated. It was Mr Schmidt's intention that the land he owned along the Passaic River between the two bridges and Pond Hill Road be set . . . — Map (db m47292) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — A Revolutionary WinterMorristown National Historical Park
Morristown National Historical Park commemorates the suffering and devotion of Washington’s army during the severest winter of the Revolution when these woods gave shelter, fuel, and water – but precious little else. That winter of bitter cold, blocked roads, short rations, late pay, and scant clothes marked the difference between … the regulation soldier that is familiar and the actual cold, hungry soldier. — Map (db m11896) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — A Warm FireMorristown National Historical Park
In 1779 soldiers of the New Jersey Brigade built this hearth. Archeologists stabilized it and removed the other artifacts found here for protection. The hearth provided the hut’s only comfort: a warm fire. Food ran out. Many men had no shoes and some had no clothes. Even bedding straw was in short supply – but there was a fire. Soldiers’ huts were all alike – one room, one hearth, one door, six bunks, and 12 men – all the huts lined up in neat rows. Most of the soldiers’ huts were ready by Christmas. — Map (db m11899) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — Bernardsville War Memorials
Top Plaque 1917 - 1919 Erected in memory of the Boys of Bernrads Township who gave their lives in the World War. James Kilday • Arthur A. Card • Russull W. Mullen • Robert E. Pope • William Neill • Francis Bergen • Paul Roebling • John Dougherty • Chas. R. Kelloway • Chas. E. Kutcher • George Ross • Henry Kirchner • Walter W. Klinger • Michael Moffett • Alessandro D'Amico • George Giesecke • Joseph Labadia • James Ruggerio • Louis Soucaze . . . — Map (db m19598) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — New Jersey 7th Brigade
Blizzards, extreme cold, lack of food and medical care -- All endured by the New Jersey Brigade in the winter of 1779-80 while it camped here and watched British movements in New York. — Map (db m16608) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Blawenberg — BlawenburgLocal Historic District
State & National Registers of Historic Places A 19th century Turnpike Village originally settled, circa 1739 by John Blaw & Michael Blaw, the mill owner. — Map (db m32936) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Battle of Bound BrookOpening Phase: 5:00 – 6:30 am   April 13, 1777
Hessian Jaeger Captain Johann Von Ewald wrote the following account of the action on April 13, 1777. “At daybreak I came upon an empty picket on this side of the stone causeway which led to Bound Brook through a marsh along the Raritan River for five or six hundred paces over two bridges. The picket received us spiritedly and withdrew under a steady fire. I tried to keep as close as possible to the enemy to get across the causeway into town at the same time. This succeeded to the . . . — Map (db m32282) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Battle of Boundbrook
[Front of monument]: This stone marks the site of the Battle of Boundbrook, fought April 13, 1777, between 500 American soldiers under Gen. Benjamin Lincoln and 4,000 British troops under Lord Cornwallis. [Back of monument]: Boundbrook Battle Monument — Map (db m7758) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Bound Brook World War I Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of our fallen comrades of the World War. Giles – Biondi Post #63 — Map (db m39973) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — MiddlebrookEnigma of the British Army
During the 1777 encampment, Washington’s heavily entrenched stronghold defied the massed British Army of 18,000 under Howe and prevented the British movement against Philadelphia by land (June 14 to 30). This delay caused Howe to move by sea, with great loss of time. The last defenses of the American Capitol were not overcome until late November 1777. It was too late to assist Burgoyne, who in turn was forced to surrender at Saratoga, Oct. 17, 1777. Clinton, during the second encampment . . . — Map (db m7761) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Old Stone Bridge
Originally planned in 1683 but not constructed until about 1731, this triple arch stone bridge is believed to be one of the oldest examples of its type still existing in New Jersey. Perhaps it is the oldest. The bridge marks the boundary between Middlesex and Somerset counties. On April 13, 1777, a force totaling 3000 British and German troops, commanded by General Cornwallis, attacked the Continental Army garrison at Bound Brook. Just before dawn, an advanced party of Hessian Jaegers attacked . . . — Map (db m32283) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — The Frelinghuysen Tavern
This tablet marks the site of The Frelinghuysen Tavern. Here Hendrick Harpending, a shoemaker from Holland, built his home circa 1720, which later became a tavern, owned by his son, Peter. Soon after the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776, the townspeople assembled on the street in front of this tavern to hear it read by their neighbor, Hendrick Fisher of South Bound Brook, President of the Provincial Congress of New Jersey, member of the Committee of Safety and an . . . — Map (db m523) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Thirteen Star Flag
By special Act of Congress, the Betsy Ross flag is flown here 24 hours each day. This is to commemorate Washington’s Army having encamped in this area June 14, 1777, the day Congress adopted the Flag Resolution. The period of encampment extended from June 14 to July 2, permitting sufficient time for an official flag to have been brought from Philadelphia to be flown at Middlebrook. — Map (db m7759) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Washington Camp Ground
Dedicated a historic site in 1889 by citizens of the community to memorialize the encampment of Washington’s Army in 1777 and from Nov. 1778 to June 1779. The Middlebrook encampment in New Jersey entered the National Register of Historic Places July 3, 1975. Site owned and preserved by the Washington Camp Ground Association. — Map (db m7762) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Branchburg — Branchburg Veterans Memorial
Main Marker: In Honor and Memory of all the Men and Women of Branchburg who proudly served our country in the armed forces of the United States of America. In recognition of the Branchburg Veterans Memorial Committee. Dedicated November 11, 2000 American Revolution Marker: Honoring those who served in the American Revolution For eight years from 1775 until 1783 American Patriots flocked to the cause of liberty and independence. From Lexington & Concord to the . . . — Map (db m16993) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Branchburg — South Branch School
Erected 1874 Restored by Branchburg Township Tercentenary Comm. J. Fred Baer, Chairman 1964 — Map (db m16992) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Brenardsville — Bernardsville Fire Company
To the glory of God and in memory of the departed members of the Bernardsville Fire Company. — Map (db m19597) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — 1777 Encampment
The Continental Army camped here from May 28 to July 2, 1777. Advance units were on the slopes facing the Raritan Valley. — Map (db m21852) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Bridgewater Township Historic Monument
[Plaque #1] Early History The Lenni Lenape Indians settled along the Raritan River, utilizing the river for food and transportation, while cultivating the flood plains by planting corn and a variety of other crops. Heavy barges hauled goods to the mills along the river as well as supplies for the many farms in the area. These farms used enslaved labor for many years to tend the fields. Bridgewater remained a farming community well into the Twentieth Century. [Plaque . . . — Map (db m49974) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Derrick Van Veghten HouseCirca 1725
The house stands on its original site over looking the Raritan River. The land was once part of an 834 acre plantation that Derrick’s father, Michael, purchased in 1697. Derrick, who was born here in 1699, was a prosperous farmer, respected member of the community, and staunch patriot.

Derrick’s house served as headquarters for Quartermaster Nathanael Greene during the 1778 -1779 Middlebrook Encampment, and units of the Continental Army were encamped on his land. While in residence, . . . — Map (db m60362) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Jacob Vosseller HouseCirca 1753
18th century home and General Store of Jacob Vosseller. 19th century Stage Coach Inn and Tavern known as Allen Inn. — Map (db m33196) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m33183) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Far Hills StationDate 1914 — L.R. Simpson, Architect
Far Hills Station was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1914 and was designed by a staff architect, L.R. Simpson. Simpson was an assistant to Frank J. Nies, a prolific architect for the railroad, who designed most of the stations in the D. L. & W.'s system. The station is exemplary of the Renaissance Revival style and has round arch window frames and surrounds, a central eytebrow dormer and a Spanish tile roof. A notable detail of Far Hills Station is the glazed green . . . — Map (db m16982) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Far Hills War Monument
(See Markers Below) — Map (db m16978) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Moggy HollowA Glacial Relic
When Earth temperatures started cooling about 100,000 years ago, ice built up in the North to over a mile in height. Forced to flow outward by its own weight, the ice sheet spread south, bulldozing the land. Then with a rise in global temperature, the glacier slowly melted back. The continental glacier had spread south from as far as mid-New Jersey by about 18,000 years age, and was at least half a mile high. Along leading edges of the glacier, lakes formed in valleys blocked by ice and . . . — Map (db m18700) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Purvis James Boatwright Jr."P.J." — 1927 - 1991
P.J. Boatwright served the USGA with dedication and distinction for over three decades. Renowned for his expertise in conducting championships, he was also the world's foremost authority on the rules of golf. P.J. was the ultimate arbiter in maintaining the integrity of the game, and his influence will be felt forever. — Map (db m18212) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Green Brook — Washington Rock
From this rock General George Washington watched the movements of the British forces during the anxious months of May and June 1777. Erected by the Continental Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution - and the people of - Plainfield and North Plainfield 1912 “Lest We Forget” — Map (db m7765) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Green Brook — Washington RockWashington Rock State Park
You are standing on a rocky outcrop that was a strategic lookout for General George Washington during the Revolutionary War. At that time, the land was mostly fields and meadows offering a clear view for 30 miles. In June of 1777, the ability to monitor British troop movements from this location proved crucial to the survival of the Continental Army. In the spring of 1777, over 8,000 Continental troops were camped in the Watchung Mountains – 3 miles to your right. The high elevation . . . — Map (db m7766) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Green Brook — Washington Rock
In May, 1777, General George Washington moved his army from Morristown to the Watchung Mountains above Bound Brook. The British Army, under the command of Sir William Howe, were reinforcing their base at New Brunswick and hoping to draw the American army into a decisive battle that would end the war.

The rock offered Washington an unobstructed view of British bases in Perth Amboy and New Brunswick, as well as fleet movements in the lower New York Harbor. Washington’s objective was to . . . — Map (db m60363) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Griggstown — Griggstown Bridge Tender’s Station
The D&R Canal was built between the years 1830 and 1834. The waterway connected the Delaware and Raritan Rivers and, after its completion, served to expedite the flow of commerce between Philadelphia and New York City. Coal was the primary commodity transported along this canal. This station was used by the Griggstown bridge tender who monitored boat traffic and operated the bridge at this location. The bridge tender’s station was fitted with a Morse telegraph machine, one of the earliest . . . — Map (db m33195) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Griggstown — Historic River Road and River Crossing
Route of Continental Army of Morristown after Battle of Princeton, Jan. 3, 1777. Route also of armies marching from New York to Yorktown, VA. Aug. 30-31, 1781. — Map (db m16700) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Griggstown — Washington’s Route from Princeton
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton January, 1777. Erected by Camp Middlebrook Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m46166) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Harlingen — Harlingen Road BridgeOver Fox Brook
Harlingen Village grew up around the Reformed Church beginning in the 1750s. It evolved into Montgomery Township's chief religious, civic, and business center. Harlingen Road, the village's main street, crossed Fox Brook in the Village as early as 1811. In July 1890, the County hired the New Jersey Steel and Iron Company to replace the Harlingen Road Bridge. They used steel stringers on existing stone abutments and added sidewalks with four decorative railings made from iron newel posts and . . . — Map (db m31955) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Kingston Cemetery
Site of “Conference On Horseback,” January 3, 1777, at which Washington decided to move toward Morristown rather than New Brunswick . . . . a decision that probably prevented a critical American defeat. — Map (db m33194) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Rockingham
George Washington’s Headquarters 1783 — Map (db m33222) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m33184) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — A Place To RememberBernards Township 9-11 Memorial
A tribute to life, lives lost and lives changed forever. September 11, 2001 — Map (db m21972) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — Bernards Township WWI & WWII Memorial
Dedicated in grateful appreciation to the men and women of Bernards Township who served in the armed forces during World War I and World War II. That peace, freedom and justice might not perish from the earth. — Map (db m18211) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — Chief Philip KoechleinLiberty Corner Fire Company Headquarters
Dedicated in memory of Chief Philip Koechlein for seventy-four years of service. Admitted              1921 Fire Dispatcher     1921 - 1969 Chief                     1926 - 1928 Answered the final alarm October 8, 1995 "Phil, you set the standard that we all hope to achieve" — Map (db m21977) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — French Army Encampment
General Rochambeau's troops camped here in August 1781 en route to the Battle of Yorktown. — Map (db m20152) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — The Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route
On this site French Troops under Le Comte De Rochambeau encamped August 29, 1781 en route to meeting Gen. George Washington and achieving their victory at Yorktown, American independence was assured there in Virginia by the defeat and surrender of Lord Cornwallis' British forces on October 19, 1781. The return encampment was September 9, 1782 — Map (db m11580) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Lyons — Lyons StationDate: 1931
Lyons Station was constructed by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1931 in a Tudor style. Tudor architecture is exemplified in Lyons Station by the parapeted end and front gables, multi-paned steel casement windows, carved rosette ornamentation, quoins and stucco walls. The station is located on NJ TRANSIT's Gladstone Branch which was originally chartered in 1865 as the Passaic Valley & Peapack Railroad. The name of the line was changed to the New Jersey West Line in 1870 and on . . . — Map (db m22508) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Lyons — Vail FamilyBasking Ridge Garden Club
Renewed and Dedicated April 27, 1990 A small burial ground on the site of the Daniel Vail Family Farm — Map (db m18233) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — American Revolution Army Encampent
Army Encampment. Encampment area for the Pennsylvania troops of the Continental Army from about December 15, 1778, until June 1, 1779. — Map (db m75610) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — War Memorial
This plaque is reverently and prayerfully dedicated to the men of Manville, martyrs to justice and charity, who laid down their lives in World War II and the Korean Conflict in the cause of holy liberty and freedom for all the world. May they rest in peace with God forever. Amen. — Map (db m75609) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — Washington’s Route from Princeton
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton January, 1777. Erected by Camp Middlebrook Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m33188) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — World War II Memorial
In honor of the citizens of Manville who served their country in World War II and in memory of those who gave their lives. 1941 - 1945. — Map (db m75612) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Martinsville — 1777 Reboubt
One of the redoubts and breastworks erected by the Continental troops, June, 1777, to defend the encampment in the valley. — Map (db m32267) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Martinsville — Bolmer Farm House - 1754
This remodeled farm house is the last of the farm houses built by members of the Bolmer family. Settling here before 1799, the Bolmers were the first early Dutch settlers in the fertile Washington Valley. Robert and Marie Bolmer had 12 children all baptized at the Dutch Reformed Church of Raritan. The Bolmers were staunch patriots and all the menfolk served their country in time of war and peace. — Map (db m32277) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Martinsville — Revolutionary War Reboubt 1777 and 1778/79
When Washington’s Army was encamped at Middlebrook in the spring of 1777, earthen redoubts were built west of Chimney Rock Road and north of the west branch of the Middlebrook. The redoubts were 75ft. square and 4 ft. deep and were equipped with a cannon and a complement of soldiers to defend the rear and right flank of the Middlebrook Encampment. These redoubts were also used in the winter of 1778-79. This is the only remaining original redoubt in New Jersey. — Map (db m32269) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Millstone — Millstone School House
One room school house from 1860 to 1944. One teacher taught all eight grades. Enrollment varied with attendance up to 35 students. Original structure included a belfry. The Board of Education transferred the building to the borough in 1949, at which time it became the Borough Hall. --------------- ♦ --------------- Building restored with grants from Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders and Borough of Millstone --------------- ♦ ---------------- Historic District of Millstone . . . — Map (db m37166) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Neshanic — Neshanic Reformed Church
Organized 1752. The construction of this Edifice was begun in 1759 and completed in 1772. — Map (db m31956) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Neshanic Station — Opie/River Road Bridge
The previous bridge carrying Opie/River Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River was originally built at this location in 1921 by Dover Boiler Works and was significant as a rare example of a rivet-connected Pratt truss bridge. The current span replaced the bridge in 2005, utilizing the rehabilitated truss members from the original bridge. — Map (db m19189) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), North Branch — The North Branch Bridge
Originally a wooden bridge in colonial times, George Washington's Surveyor General, Robert Erskine, reported it to be a "Good Bridge" in 1779. From 1809 to 1869 the bridge was maintained by the original New Jersey Turnpike Corporation, which erected a tollgate nearby. An iron truss bridge replaced the wooden one in the late 1800s and that by a concrete bridge in 1924. The current bridge was erected in 2005. — Map (db m30807) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack — "Natirar"
The Estate of Catherine "Kate" Everit Macy Ladd (1863-1945) and Walter Graeme Ladd (1857-1933) Designed and Built 1905-1912 Architects Guy Lowell (1870-1927) and Henry J. Hardenbergh (1847-1918) — Map (db m18215) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack — Peapack Brook Rural Industrial Historic District
The confluence of Peapack Brook and the North Branch of the Raritan River became a rural industrial center during the 18th century when a saw mill, grist mill, tannery and bark mill were located nearby. The Peapack Brook Rural Industrial Historic District includes five houses, several outbuildings and mill structures that reflect the industrial and agricultural development of the area, ca. 1750 - 1900. — Map (db m18574) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack — Peapack-Gladstone Lime Kiln Park
Site of "Lime Burning" operations 1794 - 1945. Lime making is explained on the public bulletin board. — Map (db m16607) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack - Gladstone — Peapack - Gladstone 9-11 Memorial
This playground is dedicated to all of the children whose lives were affected by the tragic events of September 11, 2001, most especially the families of: Kevin Dennis John Farrell Timothy Gilbert Lance Tumulty — Map (db m23023) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack-Gladstone — Peapack- Gladstone Liberty Park
In honor of those who served in the World War. 1917–1919. In memory of the men who lost their lives ... in honor of the men and women who also served in the armed forces of our country. World War II, 1441–1445. Honor Roll — Korea, 1950–1954. To those who served their country during the Viet Nam Conflict. August 5, 1964 – August 1973. — Map (db m16979) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Pluckemin — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m8896) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Pluckemin — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8898) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge
The Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge, constructed in 1879, is the oldest surviving metal truss bridge in Somerset County, the second oldest Phoenix column bridge in New Jersey and the only one built as a railroad bridge. This was built by Clark, Reeves and Co. as a rail-carrying bridge on the Hibernia Mine Railroad in Morris County, New Jersey. It was moved to Mill Lane, Hillsborough Township in Somerset County in 1894 to carry vehicular traffic as part of a grade-crossing elimination project . . . — Map (db m60366) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — John BasiloneSergeant, U.S. Marine Corps — Hero Of Guadalcanal
Marker Front: Born in Buffalo NY, Novemver 4, 1916 Enlisted from Raritan, N.J., July 11, 1940 Awarded Congressional Medal Of Honor for Heroic Action on October 24, 25, 1942 Volunteered again for combat, Dec. 27, 1943 Killed in action on Iwo Jima, Feb. 19, 1945 Marker Reverse:Congressional Medal Of Honor Citation For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st . . . — Map (db m16987) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Memorial to the Naraticong Indians
Whose friendship for the Whites, made possible the building of the Olde York Road over their trail which from 1765 until 1839 was the swift sure stage line between New York and Philadelphia from this point to Lambertville thence to Philadelphia. This ancient highway still retains its original name. Land donated by Mrs. D. E. Van Sickle Tablet By A.P. Grimm — Map (db m16986) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Nevius Street Bridge
The Nevius Street Bridge is a 300-foot-long, two span, double-intersection, Pratt through-truss bridge. It is the oldest documented metal-truss bridge in the county, being constructed in 1886 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The county hired two local masons, William W. Smith and Richard Farrier, to construct the stone abutments and central pier. Construction of the Nevius Street Bridge marked the first time that the Board of Chosen Freeholders hired a professional civil . . . — Map (db m60374) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Raritan Water Power Canal1840
The potential of the Raritan River to provide waterpower for industry was recognized early. In 1840, the success of similar projects along the Passaic and Delaware Rivers prompted the Somerville Water Power Company to begin building a power canal along the north bank of the Raritan River. Unlike some other canals in New Jersey, the Raritan Water Power Canal did not transport goods and passengers, but instead provided waterpower to mills. The Raritan Water Power Canal was completed in 1842. . . . — Map (db m16988) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — The Official End Of World War I
On this site stood the estate of U.S. Senator Joseph S. Frelinghuysen. It was here, on July 2, 1921, that President Warren G. Harding signed a joint congressional resolution that officially ended World War I. — Map (db m70542) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Fireman's Museum
Somerville relies upon volunteers to staff its Fire Department. The first volunteer fire company organized in 1835. Since then, three more companies have formed, all manned by volunteers. This building was constructed in 1888 for the West End Hose Company to meet the needs of residents on the west side of town. The new brick building replaced a wooden shed which had housed the hand-drawn fire fighting apparatus of Union Fire Co. No. 1 (1852-1878). Some of the bricks used in the construction . . . — Map (db m7315) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Former Second National Bank1 West Main St — 1914
Banking has been conducted on this corner since c. 1857. This beaux arts building of terra cotta brick was designed by local architect Jay C. Van Nuys. It replaced a brick bank structure that was moved to 23 South Bridge Street — Map (db m63562) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Furman Frederick Kugler
This is the actual bicycle used by the late Furman Frederick Kugler of Somerville, New Jersey in winning the First and Second Tour of Somerville May 20, 1940 – May 30, 1941 Furman was victorious in over 200 races including 10 N.J. State Amateur Championships and 5 National Championships Furman's life was taken during World War II Dedicated Memorial Day 1974 Map (db m7313) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Jersey Central Lines
The Central Railroad of New Jersey mainline crossed here between 1852 to 1976. The CRRNJ was the primary artery of travel to western cities by immigrants entering the United States at Ellis Island and contributed to the suburbanization to northern New Jersey. It was the first railroad to connect the Port of New York with the anthracite fields of Pennsylvania. — Map (db m74326) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — National Guard Armory1910 - 1999
Site of the National Guard Armory 1910 - 1999 Home of the 2nd National Guard Regiment Company M The armory also served as an important community and cultural center hosting graduations, dances, rallies, sporting, and other important community events. — Map (db m5220) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Ruth St. DenisModern Dance Pioneer
Ruth St. Denis Modern dance Pioneer First performance Somerset Hall 1893 — Map (db m7312) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Site of St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion ParsonageHome of Paul Robeson
On this site stood the St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion Parsonage. From 1910 to 1925, it was the home of Paul Robeson, noted actor, singer, scholar, athlete and humanitarian. — Map (db m49969) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Somerset County 9/11 Memorial and Clock Tower
The Citizens of Somerset County dedicate this Memorial to the thousands of innocent lives lost on September 11, 2001 and to the families that loved them. From this county, we remember and honor: Kermit Anderson Evan Jay Barton David O. Campbell Keith Coleman John Collins Brian Dale Kevin Dennis Stephen Dimino William Fallon, Jr. Michael Finnegan Christopher Forsythe Noel Foster Steven Genovese Steven Goldstein Robert John Halligan Kevin James . . . — Map (db m5221) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Somerville Borough Hall
Once the home of Daniel Robert, this castellated Gothic residence was constructed in 1888 and is a careful copy of a celebrated design by noted architect Alexander Jackson Davis. The building is the second on this site, preceded by a residence in a similar style that was constructed in the early 1840s for Albert Camman. Upon his death in 1866, the home was purchased by Eugene Doughty. Later, his son Joshua, sold the property to Daniel Robert. The original structure was replaced by the . . . — Map (db m5348) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m8899) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Sommerville — Fourth New Jersey Infantry Appreciation to Somerville
To the citizens of Sommerville in appreciation of their hospitality in 1917 to the Fourth New Jersey Infantry. We also speak for those who sleep in France. Presented by the Fourth New Jersey Infantry Post Number Fifty One, American Legion, Decoration Day, 1920. — Map (db m5197) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Abraham Staats House
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Built about 1740 Original central portion of house served as Headquarters for Baron Von Steuben during the winter of 1778-79. The borough of South Bound Brook Settled 1681 — Map (db m7811) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Battle of Bound Brook
At dawn on April 13, 1777 Hessian Captain Ewald’s assault over the stone bridge across the Bound Brook was pinned down by “murderous fire” from American soldiers stationed in the Half Moon Battery. Advancing North along present day Easton Avenue, a column of approximately 1,000 troops and artillery, under command of Hessian Colonel Donop, pushed aside American outposts and arrived at this point 15 minutes after Ewald’s attack had faltered. Advancing over the Queen’s Bridge, . . . — Map (db m7813) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
Historical Significance Dug by hand, mostly be Irish immigrants, the 66 mile D & R Canal was completed in 1834. 75 feet wide and 8 feet deep, the canal originally had 14 locks to raise and lower boat traffic. The D & R Canal operated as an inland waterway between the Delaware and Raritan rivers, primarily transporting Pennsylvania coal to New York via mule drawn canalboats. The busiest years of the D & R Canal were in the decade following the Civil War, when it proved itself to be one of . . . — Map (db m15661) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Locks on the D&R CanalDelaware & Raritan Canal State Park
A natural waterway follows the contours of the land over which it flows, the depth of water varies, depending on the quantity and velocity of flow. To maintain the constant depth of water required for transportation, a canal is engineered as a series of flat levels or reservoirs of water connected by locks. Crucial elements in a canal system, lift locks hold back the water in the levels, accommodate for the natural elevation changes of the land, and allow boats to travel up and down between . . . — Map (db m15663) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Queen’s Bridge
To the casual observer, there is little to indicate the historical significance of this particular bridge crossing. Yet for at least 240 years it has been an important point in the Raritan Valley and has figured in many events that have transpired here. During the American revolution this bridge was used at various times by both American and British armies. At this spot on January 4, 1777, General George Washington made the final decision to abandon any intention of attacking New Brunswick. . . . — Map (db m7814) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Warren Twsp. — Mt. Bethel Meeting House
Historic Baptist church and Revolutionary War burial grounds built in 1761 on the Old Quibbletown Gap Road. Chartered in 1767. Moved to the present location in 1785. One of the oldest surviving Baptist buildings in New Jersey. A state and national historic site. — Map (db m32985) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Woodfern — Hillsborough Will Never Forget
In memory of those who lost their lives in the tragic events of September 11, 2001 An Eagle Scout project by Ernie Guaimano Boy Scout Troop 186 — Map (db m17245) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Zarephath — Lock No. 10
The Delaware and Raritan Canal was built, 1830 - 34, by Canvass White. Closed in 1933, it now supplies water for industry — Map (db m34937) HM
111 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 331 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.