|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Boiling Springs — Boiling Springs Veterans Monument|
|The Boiling Springs Community
in humble and sincere appreciation
dedicate this memorial
in recognition of
its noble sons and daughters
who have honorably
served our military
and in remembrance of
those gallant loved ones
who lost their lives in
the preservation of freedom. — Map (db m16557) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Boiling Springs — Boiling Springs, South Carolina|
| This bubbling spring gave the community of Boiling Springs its name. Earliest records indicate settlement in the area began around this site in the mid-1700s. Prior to that trappers stopped here as they traveled the Piedmont en route from the mountains to the coast. In the early 1900s, the spring also was a popular place for farmers to stop and water their horses on their way to and from the market. — Map (db m9857) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Boiling Springs — Robin Helton|
|Crash Site of
U.S. Marine A-4 Skyhawk
Oct. 29, 1985
In memory of the pilot
1st Lt. Robin Franklin
Sept. 13, 1955
Oct. 29, 1985
McDonald & Kathryn Helton
Connie Swann Helton
Robyn L. Helton
Donated by John Brown Memorials — Map (db m38164) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Campobello — 42-19 — Old Rutherford Road|
This old roadbed is the last extant portion of the Rutherford Road, which appears in Robert Mills's 1825 Atlas of the State of S.C. and was one of at least three historic roads in northern Spartanburg Co. named for Rutherfordton, county seat of Rutherford Co., N.C., 20 mi. NE. The road was a significant route for travel, mail, and commerce until well into the twentieth century. — Map (db m30622) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Chesnee — Thorne|
| [South Inscription]:
1829 - 1916
Mary Turner Thorne
1835 - 1915
Emily, married Rufus Cudd
Ellen, m. Christopher Rogers
Rosalee, m. Daniel Columbus Smith II
Purchase, m. Thomas McKinney
Francis Eugenia, m. John M. Smith
Clinton, m. Daisy Hines
Lee, m. Lorena Awain and Minnie Foster
Edith, m. Miles Turner
Webb, m. Betsey Swain
Hattie, m. William Ezell
[East . . . — Map (db m42272) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Clifton — 42-27 — Clifton Baptist Church / First Baptist Church|
Clifton Baptist Church
This church, originally called Clifton Baptist Church, was founded in 1881 with ten charter members and Rev. T.J. Taylor as its organizing minister. Rev. W.T. Tate was its first permanent minister. Admitted into the Broad River Association later that year, it was originally a union church, also serving other denominations in the village at Clifton Mill (later Clifton No. 1).
First Baptist Church
This church, the mother of new congregations at Converse . . . — Map (db m23678) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Clifton — Clifton World War II Memorial|
|We proudly honor
these boys who gave
their lives in World War II
Richard M. Bradley
T. Vernon Carr
J. Marshall McClure
Belton A. Robbins
L. Howard Shropshier
Quinton E. Sproles — Map (db m23871) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Converse — The Pacolet River Flood of 1903|
|At dawn on the morning of June 6, 1903, floodwaters roared through the Pacolet River valley. As the high water thundered downstream from mill village to mill village, people in the path of the flash flood had no warning it was coming. Before the morning was over, the day would become the deadliest flood event in state history.
Historical accounts claim 70 deaths from the flood, but the toll was likely many more. The flood's fury destroyed four textile mills and inflicted heavy damage to . . . — Map (db m56461) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Cowpens — 42-17 — Cowpens Depot|
This passenger and freight depot was built in 1896 by the Southern Railway and was originally 1 block N. at Brown & Church Sts. It replaced an 1873 depot on the Atlanta & Charlotte Air Line Railway, later merged into the Southern. This depot served passengers into the 1950s and handled freight until 1967. It was moved in 1982, renovated and opened as the Cowpens Museum & Civic Center in 1985, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. — Map (db m13019) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Cowpens — Cowpens Veterans Memorial|
|To the Memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. And in honor of all who served their country in time of need. — Map (db m13022) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Cowpens — First Baptist Church, Cowpens|
Fourteen members met in the depot of the Atlanta & Charlotte Railroad on Aug. 13, 1878 to organize this church. The original one room frame building was erected on this site in 1879.
The second building made of hand-pressed brick in a kiln on Waters Road was dedicated June 3, 1906.
The present edifice was begun in 1955 dedicated Oct. 22, 1961, and a new wing added in 1978. — Map (db m13079) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Cross Anchor — 42-21 — New Hope Baptist Church|
This church, established in 1804, grew out of Padgett's Creek Baptist Church, mother church to several area Baptist congregations. Rev. Spencer Bobo (d.1816), a member there, was given permission to take "as many members as he thinks fit" and organize a new church. Bobo chose a site W of present-day Cross Anchor, near his home, deeding 7 acres for a sanctuary and cemetery.
The first church was a log building known as "Bobo's Meeting House." Bobo and . . . — Map (db m30406) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Duncan — Abner Creek Baptist Church|
William & Sarah
Where Abner Creek
Baptist Church was
organized Sept. 26, 1832
Built in the late 1700's — Map (db m10034) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Duncan — Abner Creek Baptist Church|
|Dedicates this marker to the lasting memory of those people whose unselfish efforts organized and sustained this church with God's help through the years
Abner Creek Baptist Church organized Sept 26, 1832 in the home of William and Sarah Hendrix located one-half mile south near Abner Creek
Sept 9, 1766
Oct 22, 1842
June 7, 1767
Feb 7, 1849
Officially constituted by the Presbytery Sept 26, 1834 as Abner Creek Baptist Church . . . — Map (db m40061) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Duncan — Birthplace Abner Creek Baptist Church September 26, 1832|
Home of William and Sarah Hendrix
1766 - 1842 1767-1849
Moved from original location
2180 Abner Creek Road
October 31, 2005
The Lord is My Rock, and My Fortress
and My Deliverer. Psalm 18:2
Dedicated September 30, 2007 — Map (db m24086) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Enoree — Enoree Community Veterans Memorial|
| [Left Inscription]:
U.S. Army U.S. Navy
U.S. Air Force U.S. Coast Guard
Who Served and Sacrificed
for God and Country
Dedicated in Memory of All
Veterans who Sacrificed
Their Lives for their Country's Freedom
And in Honor of All Veterans
and Service Men and Women
Serving in Harms Way Today
[Right . . . — Map (db m42330) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Glendale — 42-10 — Early Iron Works|
Near here on Lawson's Fork, during the American Revolution, the S.C. government as part of the war effort supported Joseph Buffington, William Wofford, and others in the construction of an iron works. It became a well-known landmark and the scene of several skirmishes, notably the "Battle of Wofford's Iron Works" on August 8, 1780. — Map (db m13192) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Glendale — Welcome to Glendale Shoals Glendale Shoals Nature Preserve Greenway Paddling Trail Goodall Environmental Studies Center|
Glendale is a place where history lives. Within a mile of this spot are the sites of a colonial ironworks, a Revolutionary War skirmish, and one of the most historic textile mills in the South. Today, the village still remains, but the mill is gone, destroyed by a fire in 2004. Glendale lives on as a small community with a proud past, quickly changing present, and exciting future.
The 30-acre Glendale Shoals Preserve is a partnership between the Spartanburg Area Conservancy (SPACE), . . . — Map (db m44535) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Gowensville — Cherokee Foothills National Scenic Byway|
This location (Greenville/Spartanburg County Line) marks the eastern boundary between the Cherokee Nation and the Province of South Carolina from the end of the Cherokee War (1761) until 1777. The local community, Gowensville, is named for John "Buck" Gowen, a Revolutionary War soldier for whom the nearby Gowen's Fort was named. A skirmish at the fort on July 13, 1780, was the first in a series of eight confrontations leading to the tide-turning battle of the Cowpens in in January, 1781.
. . . — Map (db m19384) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — AH-1 Cobra Helicopter|
First helicopter designed for close air troop support equipped with varied armaments including gatling guns and missiles capable of high maneuverability at speeds of 141 MPH. 1,116 AH-1Gs were deployed to Vietnam from 1967 to 1973 logging over one million miles of service. Modified models have been used world wide since 1973. — Map (db m10746) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — All Wars Memorial|
|[Marker's West Face]:
to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice, and in honor of all who served their country in time of need.
[Marker's South Face]:
The Purple Heart is America's oldest military decoration, It was established and designed by General George Washington on August 7, 1782, then called the Badge of Military Merit.
On Febuary 22, 1932, the Army War Department revived this award as the "Purple Heart" and on . . . — Map (db m10884) WM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Flatwood|
This site was the center of a strong Spartanburg County agricultural community during the 1800s-1962. Flatwood, remembered for its strong family ties and caring people, was known for its outstanding family farm operations which included cotton, corn, grain, peaches, and cattle.
Flatwood grammar school—1920-1950's
Flatwood Championship Basball Teams—1930-1960
Cross Road Stores Junction
Some flamily names that made up this great
. . . — Map (db m38889) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Greer Area Veterans Memorial|
the memory of all the
members of the Armed
Forces from the Greer
area who sacrificed
their lives in the
defense of our
country. — Map (db m10921) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Hampton|
Feb. 3, 1715 - July 1776
wife, son Preston, and grandson
massacreed by Cherokee Indians,
Tyger River, Spartanburg
District, S. C.
Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton
1752 - 1835
Col. Wade Hampton,
1791 - 1858
Lt. Gen Wade Hampton,
1818 - 1902 — Map (db m10400) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Hugh Porter & Jane Baily McClimon First McClimon Family in South Carolina|
Born to this union, six children, John Pressely gave the land for Liberty Hill Church. The first church was logs. Sallie McClimon married Jeremiah Glenn. They gave most of the money to build the first frame building. A committee asked Sallie Glenn to let the church be named Glenns Chapel. She was not seeking honor and did not agree. June 19, 1980 relatives moved the Glenns from the family plot to Liberty Hill Church beside her father and mother Hugh Porter and Jane McClimon. — Map (db m40059) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — M106A1 Mortar Carrier|
|1964 Modification of the M-113
armoured personnel carrier
fitted with a 4.2-inch mortar on a
rotating turntable for highly mobile
firepower. The M106A1 is capable of
amphibious operation and speeds of 40 MPH.
The M106A1 has seen extensive combat
experience in vietnam and in all theatres
of war throughout the world. — Map (db m10747) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — McClimons Memorial|
In memory of
Hugh Porter McClimons, his wife, Jane Bailey, and her brothers, Hugh and Robert Bailey, pioneers, who helped build this section of Greenville and Spartanburg district.
Hugh Porter McClimons came from Aronak, Ireland, at the age of 12, with Hugh Bailey in 1792. Huge Bailey
returned to Ireland later and brought his orphaned
sister, Jane, age 8 and brother Robert. They settled south of Spartanburg, were partners in land, later they all moved on Enoree River in Greenville, . . . — Map (db m22445) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Ronnie Eugene Norris Remembrance Fountain|
|This fountain is dedicated to the honor and memory of
Ronnie Eugene Norris.
He was the son of Thomas and Martha Norris and a graduate of Greer High School - the class of 1965.
Ronnie gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country in Vietnam on December 27, 1966.
Whether my life and death are for peace and a new hope, or for nothing, I cannot say. It is you who must say this. I leave you my death. Give it its meaning. I was young. I gave my life. Remember me. — Map (db m10748) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Theron J. Hendrix Memorial Highway|
Theron J. Hendrix
South Carolina State
State Highway Engineer
1962--1970 — Map (db m10978) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Woods Fort|
Near this site stood
A refuge for women
and children from the
Cherokee Indians — Map (db m10398) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Inman — Holly Springs Confederate Cemetery|
|Holly Springs Confederate States of America Unmarked or Buried Where They Fell
John S. Reese*
Elijah Cooper* Co.A,13th Reg.
Lazereth S. Brashears
Willian S. Haskins*
Robert M. Reese*
Zopha S. Reese*
Berryman F. Reese* Co.C, 27 Reg.
Robert Davis* Co. D, Palmetto SS
Co. F, 13 Reg
George C. Reese*
Green W. Reese*
Jonathan T. Staton*
John Calvin Clement* Co.K, 5th Reg. . . . — Map (db m44909) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Inman — Holly Springs Baptist Church 1804 - 2004|
|Bicentennial 1804 - 2004 "Lord, Thou Hast Been Our Dwelling Place In All Generations."
To the glory of God and Jesus Christ our Saviour in whom we dwell in full assurance of pardon and eternal life
To the saints who have gone before
To the guardians of the faith
To the heirs who will keep the trust
"I am thy God; Thou art my people; here will I dwell.
Thou shalt be like a spring whose waters fail not, Thou shalt raise the foundations of many generations." . . . — Map (db m44977) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Inman — Holly Springs Rock Wall|
|Rock wall begun Sept. 1859 with slave and free labor but discontinued in 1861 during Civil War. Original Iron gate Forged by former slave Nathan Foster, Wall completed 1872,Crumbling Portion Saved 1949. — Map (db m44910) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Inman — Holly Springs School (1913 - 1924)|
|Site of 2nd Continuous Holly Springs School (1913-1924)
Purchased by HSBC 1951 To become Fellowship Building Razed 1962 for 2nd Pastorium (1963-2001) — Map (db m44914) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Inman — Inman Veterans Monument|
|In honored memory
of all the men and women
who served their country
in time of war. — Map (db m40626) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Inman — 42-20 — Shiloh Methodist Church|
This church, organized late in the eighteenth century, held its first services in a brush arbor and later constructed a log meeting house. This frame sanctuary, built between 1825 and 1830, was the second building to serve Shiloh. In 1836 Adam Gramling, Jr., donated it and three acres to church trustees William Brooks, Adam Gramling Sr., John Gramling, and Ruben Gramling.
Shiloh Methodist Church was the mother church of many Spartanburg County . . . — Map (db m12627) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Landrum — B. Frank Carruth November 2, 1915 - June 24, 1994|
Frank Carruth's life exemplified the ideal of personal involvement to the betterment of his beloved community. His generosity brought food and warmth to those less fortunate. Roses from his garden brightened the spirits of his wife, friends and neighbors.
It is hoped that all those who enjoy this park will embrace the ideals of caring, sharing and involvement in an effort to enhance the quality of life for the people of Landrum, South Carolina.
His beloved wife, Nell, dedicates this . . . — Map (db m11387) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Landrum — Earle's Ford and Fort|
Erected By Cowpens Chapter D.A.R. to the Memory of The Valiant Defenders of Earle's Ford and Fort July 15, 1780 — Map (db m11087) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Landrum — Wolfe Creek Baptist Church|
This is the original site of The Wolfe Creek Baptist Church organized in 1803 now the First Baptist Church of Landrum, South Carolina
Marker erected June 21, 1953
when Interstate 26 was constructed this marker was moved here one mile southeast of the original site October 1967. — Map (db m11086) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Lyman — District Five War Memorial|
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women of this area who have served in the armed forces of the United States and to those who gave their life in Performance of the service.
Erected by the people of District 5 School Area
Spartanburg County and dedicated May 26, 1991
[East Face dedicated to U.S. Army killed in action]:
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Jn. 15:13, KJV
WW II . . . — Map (db m10751) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-4 — “Kate Barry”|
1½ miles SE is Walnut Grove, home of Margaret Catherine Moore Barry (1752–1823). Local tradition says she was known as “Kate Barry” and acted as a scout for the Patriots before the Battle of Cowpens, Jan. 17, 1781. With her parents, and her husband, Captain Andrew Barry, she lies buried in the plantation cemetery. — Map (db m9912) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-6 — First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast|
On Dec. 18, 1933, work began on the J.L. Berry Gully, 1.5 miles S.E. as part of the South Tyger River Erosion Control Demonstration Project by the USDI Soil Erosion Service, Dr. T.S. Bule, Project Director. This project was a forerunner of the USDA Soil Conservation Service and the Soil and Water Conservation Districts. — Map (db m13328) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-14 — Nazareth Church|
This Presbyterian Church, located about .4 miles SE, was organized soon after 1766 by Scotch-Irish who settled the area. From Revolutionary War days the congregation has been influential in religious, educational, and civic affairs of Spartanburg County. A number of new congregations have been formed from Nazareth whose present building was erected in 1832. — Map (db m9915) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — Nazareth Church Stone Marker|
In 1765 Narareths first meeting house was built on this site. Made of logs cut from surrounding forest, pulpit of clapboard, seats of crude wooden plank, without backs and dirt floor. — Map (db m9948) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — Nazareth Frame House|
Erected on or near this site between 1785-1790 a larger and better frame house of worship replced the old log meeting house. Used for a time as a session house. — Map (db m40291) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-9 — Site of Fredonia|
Believed built in 1786 by Thomas Moore, Revolutionary soldier, brigadier general in the War of 1812 and a member of Congress, Fredonia was later owned by Andrew B. Moore, earliest known doctor in this region, and Thomas J. Moore, Confederate soldier and state legislator. On the National Register of Historical Places. The house burned in 1977. — Map (db m13191) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — Walnut Grove Plantation|
Charles and Mary Moore built the Manor House in 1765 1½ miles SE on land granted by George III in 1763. They founded Rocky Spring Academy (1770-1850) the first in Spartanburg County. In a raid in 1780 "Bloody" Bill Cunningham, a Tory, murdered Capt. Steadman and two patriots here, beginning the Moore Family Cemetery. — Map (db m9914) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), New Prospect — Ibra Charles Blackwood|
|In loving memory of
Ibra Charles Blackwood
Governor of South Carolina
1931 - 1935
who was born here Nov. 21 - 1878
Died Feb, 12 - 1936 — Map (db m12250) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), New Prospect — Lake Bowen|
Named in honor of
William C. Bowen
Engineer - Chemist of
Spartanburg Water Works
from Dec. 1, 1938 to Nov. 1, 1972
Dedicated to the recreational enjoyment of all people. This plaque erected in recognition of the foresight of water works commissioners and distinguished services of employees.
R. B. Simms
Supt. - 1920 - 1963
John A. Andrea
Gen. - Mgr. - 1963 - . . . — Map (db m11280) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Pacolet — Marysville School|
In 1915, owners of the Pacolet Manufacturing
Company constructed this school for
African American children whose parents
worked for the textile industry.
It is the only surviving site of an irreplaceable
South Carolina history.
The school received national recognition in 2007. — Map (db m17645) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Pacolet — Pacolet River Heritage Preserve|
| Pacolet River Heritage Preserve, owned and managed by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources, covers 278 acres in Spartanburg County, SC. Come to bird-watch, take photographs, fish or simply enjoy the woods and Pacolet River. Leave with a sense of awe sparked by visiting a site important to people thousands of years ago. As you sit watching the river, imagine the lives of the Native Americans who stopped here on their seasonal migrations between the coast and the uplands of the state.
. . . — Map (db m55086) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Pauline — 42-11 — Calvary Church / Glenn Springs|
The Reverend John D. McCullough was the first rector of this Episcopal Church, which was established in 1848. The original building, consecrated in 1850, stood at the cemetery about 1/2 mile to the north. The congregation's present house of worship was consecrated in 1897 by Bishop Ellison Capers.
Early recognized by the Indians for the healing qualities of its mineral waters, nearby Glenn Springs became a popular summer resort when the Glenn Springs . . . — Map (db m9890) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Reidville — Reidville Male Academy Original Cornerstone|
|On this site stood the Reidville Male Academy, established in 1857 to provide for the education of young men. The school was established by the Rev Robert H. Reid and continue to operate until 1905 when it was integrated into the public school system. The academic excellence of this institution had national renown and attracted students from afar. From this institution graduated students who went on to become leaders in commerce, religion, and education. Listed below are the names of the . . . — Map (db m10029) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Reidville — 42-1 — Reidville Public School|
Built in 1948 on the site of Reidville Female College (operated 1871-1910), one of two private schools founded in 1857 by Rev. Robert Harden Reid and located on lands given by James N. Gaston, James Wakefield, and Anthony Wakefield. Reidville Male Academy (1857-1905) occupied building 1/2 mile east. The schools were combined in 1905. — Map (db m9953) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Roebuck — Emmanuel Baptist Church Veterans Monument|
|We Salute the Past
We Salute the Present — Map (db m55953) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — "Sparky" the Family Train|
|Sparky is one of two miniature G-16 trains donated in 1952 by the Kiwanis Club of Spartanburg. The restoration of this vintage train was made possible through generous donations from families, companies, and organizations in the Spartanburg Community. — Map (db m25713) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 156 West Main Street Spartanburg Historic District|
Department of Archives
156 West Main Street
Spartanburg Historic District
of Historic Places — Map (db m55128) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-25 — 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters|
|15th N.Y. Infantry
The 15th N.Y. Infantry, a volunteer National Guard unit of African American soldiers, arrived here Oct. 10, 1917, to train at Camp Wadsworth. Race riots that summer in East St. Louis and Houston raised the fears of Spartanburg's whites about the potential for racial violence if Northern black soldiers trained here. Though the 15th N.Y. was ordered not to respond to any insults or physical abuse by local whites, tensions rose for the next two weeks.
"Harlem Hell . . . — Map (db m21237) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — American Legion Memorial Archway|
This archway constructed and donated in memory of our fallen comrades who fought and died in the name of freedom by the following veterans
[List of names follows on both columns] — Map (db m13476) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Arthur Prysock / Ira Tucker|
Arthur Prycock was a prolific jazz crooner born in Spartanburg. Getting his start with Buddy Johnson's jazz orchestra in 1944, Prysock's rich baritone voice found its way onto nearly 60 albums.
A highly adaptable performer, his popular recordings included blues tunes, jazz standards, a disco hit ("When Love is New") and even the iconic 1970s Lowenbrau beer jingle.
Ira Tucker was the lead singer of the groundbreaking, . . . — Map (db m40338) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Barnet Park|
|Dedicated November 21, 1999
City of Spartanburg
Mayor James E. Talley
Robert W. Allen, Elizabeth B. Fleming
W.C. Bain, Jr., Roy C. Henderson
Linda C. Dogan, Lewis A. Mills
Architects Landscape Architecture
McMillan Smith $ Partners PLLC Innocenti & Webel
Spartanburg, South Carolina New York, New York
General Contractor Byington Landscape Architects
M.B. Kahn Construction Company Greenville, South Carolina
Argo . . . — Map (db m18916) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Battle of Cedar Spring|
Not far from this spot on the 8th day of August 1780, was fought the Battle of Cedar Spring, one of a series of engagements in upper South Carolina that made possible the great victory at Kings Mountain and the final success of the American cause at Yorktown.
In grateful commemoration this tablet is erected by the Cowpens Chapter DAR and the Spartanburg Chapter SAR 1928 — Map (db m21118) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Berlin Wall|
| [Left Marker]
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
President Ronald W. Reagan
Berlin, June 12, 1987
"Ich bin ein Berliner!"
President John F. Kennedy
Berlin, June 26, 1963 — Map (db m14171) WM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-26 — Camp Croft|
Camp Croft, constructed in 1940-41, was named for Greenville native Maj. Gen. Edward Croft (1875-1938). The pillars from the main gate stand nearby. Camp Croft was one of nine U.S. Army Infantry Replacement Training Centers during World War II. More than
250,000 soldiers took basic and specialty training courses here. Camp Croft contained more than 600 buildings, almost half of them barracks, on a 19,000 acre site between S.C. Hwys. 56 and 176.
[Marker . . . — Map (db m13325) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-5 — Camp Wadsworth|
This camp, named in honor of Brigadier General James Samuel Wadsworth, U.S.V. was approved June 1917 as a cantonment site. The 27th division trained here from September 1, 1917 to May 4, 1918; the 6th, from May 10, 1918 to June 23, 1918; the 96th, from October 20, 1918 to January 7, 1919. — Map (db m10076) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Cantrell Wagon Building Spartanburg Historic District|
Department of Archives
Cantrell Wagon Building
Spartanburg Historic District
of Historic Places — Map (db m55131) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-24 — Central Methodist Church|
Organized in 1837 as the first congregation of any denomination in Spartanburg, when this site was deeded to nine trustees. Services began in early 1838. Original frame meeting house with belfry was replaced in 1854 by a larger brick church. The present Gothic Revival sanctuary, built in 1886 and described as "an ornament to our town," was enlarged in 1897 & 1910. — Map (db m9832) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Church of the Advent|
Church of the Advent
Except the Lord build the house, their labor is in vain that build it.
Nearby marker:This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m13511) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Colonel Warren H. Abernathy Highway|
|Name in honor of Warren H. Abernathy
for his outstanding and distinguished
service to the State of South Carolina
as State Director for U.S. Senator
Strom Thurmond for over 44 years. — Map (db m11360) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-2 — Converse College|
Founded by citizens of
Spartanburg in 1889
for the liberal education of women.
Named for Dexter Edgar Converse,
pioneer textile manufacturer.
Opened in 1890 on this site,
the grounds of which have been
used for educational purposes
since 1849. — Map (db m9103) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-28 — Converse Heights|
Converse Heights is one of Spartanburg's earliest suburbs, with most of its houses built between 1906 and 1950. This area was originally the antebellum plantation of Govan Mills (1805-1862). In 1906 Mills' heirs sold the property to Spartanburg Realty Company for development. Mills Avenue is named for Govan Mills. Converse Heights is named for Converse College, a private women's college across East Main Street, which was founded in 1889.
A mix of modest . . . — Map (db m16324) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Daniel Morgan Avenue|
This street is named for General Daniel Morgan (1736-1802). Revolutionary war leader whose victory at Cowpens on January 17, 1781, was one of the significant events of that war. Daniel Morgan served as a wagoner on Gen. Braddock's expedition in 1755. His military service began in the Virginia militia against the Indians. He fought at Quebec and Saratoga before coming south to win his greatest victory against British troops commanded by Col. Banastre Tarleton. — Map (db m9867) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Daniel Morgan Monument|
| [Morgan Side Top]
the American Soldiers
on the field of Cowpens,
January 17th, 1781,
The Right of Self Government
We enjoy the Result of their toil
and sacrifice, let us emulate
their fortitude and virtue.
This Column is erected by the
New . . . — Map (db m13545) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Dexter Edgar Converse In Memorium|
Founder of this College
Born in Swanton, Vermont
April 21, 1829
Died in Spartanburg, South Carolina
October 4, 1899
"Oh, it is great -- and there
is no other greatness -- to make
one nook of God's creation more
fruitful. Better. More worthy
of God; to make some human
heart a little wiser, nobler,
happier, more blessed." — Map (db m9869) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Don Reno/The Blue Ridge Quartet|
| Don Reno 1926 - 1984
Don Reno was an immensely influential banjo player and one of the founding figures in the bluegrass movement. Born in Spartanburg, Reno recorded more than 500 songs during his career, many with collaborator Red Smiley, and is perhaps best remembered for his contribution to the Arthur Smith tune "Feudin'Banjos," which was later retitled "Dueling Banjos."|
The Blue Ridge Quartet
The Blue Ridge Quartet was a pioneering gospel group, rising to . . . — Map (db m44912) HM
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Dr. Jesse F. Cleveland Junior High School|
|Federal Works Agency
Public Works Administration
John M. Carmody
Federal Works Administrator
Franklin D. Roosevelt
President of the United States
The original site of the home of Dr. Jesse F. Cleveland, on which this building is erected, was donated to Spartanburg School District No. 34 by his heirs.
John Z. Cleveland
Robert B. Cleveland
Conrad P. Cleveland
and the heirs of
Arthur F. Cleveland
Mrs. Arthur F., Margaret G., and Jesse Franklin Cleveland — Map (db m25708) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Edward Bomar|
|Born Essex Co. Va, Feb 11, 1767. Emigrated to So. Ca. 1796, and settled on the waters of North Tyger River, six miles west of Spartanburg Court House. His first wife was Mary Wood, who died in 1833; his second, Mary Treadway who died in 1857. He died Apr. 30, 1855, after a long and useful life. He was a charter member and for many years deacon of Mt. Zion Baptist Church. A man of prayer, modest and reserved but firm in his convictions. — Map (db m40611) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Emily Elizabeth Dickinson 1830-1886|
|One of the best loved American poets, Emily Elizabeth Dickinson wrote some of the most important poetry in the English language. Born on December 10 in Amherst, Massachusetts, she attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary for a year when she was seventeen. She returned to her hometown to live out her life within the confines of her family's home. Known in her time as "The Belle of Amherst," a woman mythologized for dressing all in white and sequestering herself in her room, Dickinson found freedom . . . — Map (db m40441) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-13 — Evins-Bivings House|
|According to family tradition, this house was built in 1854 by the Bivings family, local textile pioneers. In 1869, the house was purchased by John H. Evins (1830-1884), Confederate Lieutenant Colonel, state legislator, major of Spartanburg, and U.S. Congressman (1877-1884). The house was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. — Map (db m9841) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — First Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg, S.C. Sesquicentennial - 1993 Soli Deo Gloria|
The Sesquicentennial Bells were cast by the Bellfoundry of Paccard Fonderie de Cloches. Located in Annecy-le-Vieux, France. The praise of God is basic to our worship and each bell is inscribed with of praise from the Psalms.
[Bell Information from Left to Right]:
Bell 1: Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100.
Musical Note: C3
Weight: 4,641 lbs.
Bell 2: O give thanks unto the Lord for He is good. Psalm 136.
Musical Note: F3
Weight: 1,992 lbs.
Bell 3: Let . . . — Map (db m16990) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-7 — Grave of William Walker / Magnolia Cemetery|
|Grave of William Walker William "Singin' Billy" Walker (1809-1875) was the author of Southern Harmony, a collection of religious music employing shaped musical notes to aid those who could not read standard musical notation. He later published the more elaborate Christian Harmony and taught "singing schools" throughout the middle, southern and western states. He is buried in Magnolia Cemetery.
In 1838, Jesse Cleveland deeded 2 1/2 acres of this . . . — Map (db m9835) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-12 — Hampton Heights Historic District|
|Located one block west, this historic district was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 because of its historical and architectural significance as an example of an intact early twentieth-century neighborhood. A number of popular architectural styles of the period are represented in the district. — Map (db m9859) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Hank Garland / Johnny Blowers|
Hank Garland was a prolific studio musician contributing to recordings by Elvis Presley, Patsy Cline and many others.
Born in Cowpens, Garland joined the Grand Ole Opry at 15, recording his million-selling his "Sugerfoot Rag" at age 16, and established himself as an outstanding country musician session player. Before being disabled in a 1961 car accident, Garland became a noted jazz musician.
Johnny Blowers was one of the . . . — Map (db m40363) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Harold Hatcher 1907-2003|
|Founder and developer of Hatcher Garden and Woodland Preserve. Harold Hatcher was a man of vision who looked at a weed-filled, eroded, litter-strewn lot and saw a garden. Working with his wife Josephine for 30 years, he used his horticultural skills and his unlimited capacity for labor, along with his limited funds, to turn his backyard into a haven for plants and people. His example inspired the community of Spartanburg that now takes great pride in maintaining and expanding the gift he gave us. — Map (db m55091) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Hearon Circle|
|Named in Honor of
Charles O. Hearon
Member of first State Highway
A pioneer of highway Development
In South Carolina
Member of state Highway Commission;
1917 - 1936
1943 - 1944
Chairman of State Highway Commission;
1931 - 1936 — Map (db m17454) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Jesse Cleveland|
Born 1785 - Died 1851
Came to Spartanburg 1810
Merchant for 41 years
Lived on public square just above Cleveland Hotel.
This park is dedicated to his memory and is part of a grant of 578 acres granted to him 6th day of June, 1825.
In memory of
1785 - - - 1851
A merchant from 1810 to 1851
who lived near this spot forty years. — Map (db m25704) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — John B. White Sr., Blvd. Dedicated July 1998|
Owner and Founder of the World-Famous Beacon Drive-In, from 1946 until his retirement in 1998. Mr. White is truly an extraordinary person and one of Spartanburg's Treasures. His character is beyond reproach, his generosity boundless, and his many kindnesses reach into infinity.
Mr. White is recognized as the quintessential entrepreneur and epitomizes all the positive things that a person may strive to obtain. His life is worthy of emulation, both personally and professionally, but . . . — Map (db m17736) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Joshua Hawkins|
|Stone step is from home place of Joshua Hawkins who has the oldest known grave in cemetery1750 - 1832 — Map (db m16620) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Kevin Earl Carper|
|In memory of deputy
KEVIN EARL CARPER
Loving husband, Father, Public Servant, Hero
Killed in the line of Duty
February 27, 2007
We appreciate your 10 years of
service to Spartanburg County.
Your sacrifice will never be forgotten.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall
be called the children of God.
MATTHEW 5:9 — Map (db m18537) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Marian Anderson 1897-1993|
Her contralto voice sang out in the twentieth century -- her life testified to her passion for music and the power of her voice to speak directly to the soul, encountering societal resistance as an African-American seeking educational and professional opportunities, Marian Anderson persevered, establishing a career as a recitalist in the United States and Europe. Her 1939 Easter Concert on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial reached a vast audience. With her historic 1955 operatic debut, . . . — Map (db m40421) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-22 — Mount Zion Baptist Church Cemetery|
(Front): Mount Zion Baptist Church, founded as early as 1804 as an affiliated branch of Bethlehem Baptist Church, was formally established in 1827. The cemetery here, dating from 1832, includes the graves of many early church families and of several veterans of the American Revolution and the Civil War.
(Reverse): Rev. John Gill Landrum (1810-1882), pastor here 1831-1852 and 1863-1882, also served for many years at First Baptist Church in Spartanburg and at Bethlehem, New . . . — Map (db m12409) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-16 — Old City Cemetery|
This cemetery, established on this site about 1900 as the Spartanburg Colored Cemetery, includes many graves moved here from the first black cemetery in the city, established in 1849 1 mi. W. and closed by the expansion of the Charleston & Western Carolina RR. Also known as the New Colored Cemetery until 1928 and later known as Freeman's Cemetery, it has been known as the Old Cemetery since 1959.
Prominent persons buried here include educator Mary . . . — Map (db m18013) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Palmetto Building Spartanburg Historic District|
Department of Archives
of Historic Places — Map (db m55096) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Peach Monument|
| [Marker Front]
This monument is erected out of respect for the peach, delectable fruit of a friendly soil and a beneficent sun.
Upon a pedestal we place it as a symbol of God's bounty and man's enterprise.
Spartanburg County has the honor of the richest peach harvest in the nation, and we are grateful for this favor.
An appreciative community pays tribute to those pioneer orchardists who through foresight and diligence, established and industry that means much . . . — Map (db m24451) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Pink Anderson / The Marshall Tucker Band|
Pink Anderson was a seminal Piedmont bluesman. He lived most of his life in Spartanburg, performing locally and regionally, and recording three albums in the city for Bluesville Records during the 1960s.
Anderson is also known as one of the two blues musicians who inspired the name of British rock group Pink Floyd (the other being Floyd Council).
The Marshall Tucker Band
The Marshall Tucker Band was one of the most successful Southern . . . — Map (db m40365) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Purple Heart Memorial Combat Wounded Veterans|
|Dedicated to all who have been
wounded in all our wars
My stone is red for the blood they shed.
The medal I bear is my Country's way to show they care.
If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will
come in my lifetime. — Map (db m13478) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg Confederate War Monument|
| [East Facing Side]
Erected in honor of the
Confederate Soldiers and
Sailors from Spartanburg
City and County
from her citizens and Spartan
Chapter United Daughters
of the Confederacy
[North Facing Side]
Let this monument
teach our children and our
children's children to honor
the memory and the heroic deeds
of the Southern Soldier,
who fought for rights
guaranteed him under the
Four years our . . . — Map (db m13512) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg County War Memorial|
|In memory of and dedicated
to those brave citizens of
Spartanburg County who gave
their lives in the defense
of their country during
WWI WWII Korea Vietnam
[Seals from six services:
Air Force, Marines
Coast Guard, Merchant Marines]
These Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen
and Marines gave up their
freedom yesterday in order
that we can enjoy our
freedom today. — Map (db m13477) WM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-15 — Spartanburg Methodist College|
|While minister of Duncan Memorial Methodist Church, the Rev. David E. Camak established the Textile Industrial Institute in the dwelling across the street to educate cotton mill workers. The institute opened Sept. 5, 1911, and its operation was soon assumed by the Methodist Church; it became a junior college in 1927. In 1974, the school was renamed Spartanburg Methodist College. — Map (db m13313) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg Town Clock|
|[Seal of Spartanburg, S.C.]
Mayor Frankin W. Allen 1977-81
Mayor John G. Baeher 1973-1977
Mayor Pro Tem C. Chester Brown, Jr.
Jack M. Blasius, Ralph D. Prince
E. Lewis Miller, Hal G. Warlick, Jr.
William H. Carstarphen
Skidemore, Owings & Merrill
Fiske Carter Construction Co.
Symbolic of the heartbeat of the city and its constant change, the "Old Town Clock" above was . . . — Map (db m25721) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Spartanburg Water Works 1927 - 1970|
|On March 24, 1927, the Commissioners of
Public Works awarded a construction
contract for a new office building at
168 West Main Street to T.W. Houston.
The building was designed by local
architect J. Frank Collins, and it
served as the General Office of the
Spartanburg Water Works and
Spartanburg Metropolitan District
until April 1970. — Map (db m40331) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Walter Hyatt / DesChamps Hood|
Walter Hyatt was a prolific songwriter and performer and a founding member of the influential Americana groups Uncle Walt's Band and the Contenders.
Raised in Spartanburg, Hyatt joined the Austin and Nashville music scenes, releasing several critically praised solo albums. He is remembered as a gifted songwriter, with his songs recorded by Lyle Lovett, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Jerry Jeff Walker.
DesChamps "Champ" Hood was a . . . — Map (db m40343) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Welcome to Croft State Natural Area|
Croft State Natural Area covers 7,054 acres and was originally purchased by the State of South Carolina in 1949. It had been part of a 19,034-acre tract that served as a U.S. Army Infantry Replacement Training Center known as Camp Croft during World War II. Croft State Natural Area is now maintained as a special resource park because of its role as a large expanse of mostly undeveloped green space in the growing Spartanburg metropolitan area. Recreational activities include camping, fishing . . . — Map (db m42780) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — William Walker / Clara Smith|
William ("Singing Billy") Walker, perhaps South Carolina's most famous musician of his day, was a singing school teacher, composer, and collector of folksongs.
He published four shape-note tunebooks, bringing musical literacy to isolated churches across the country. His popular "Southern Harmony" (1835) was the first to include "Amazing Grace" with its familiar tune. Walker's bookstore was located near this site.
Clara Smith . . . — Map (db m41236) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-18 — Wofford College|
|Wofford College, charted in 1851, was established by a $100,000 bequest from the Rev. Benjamin Wofford of Spartanburg, who envisioned a college for 'literary, classical, and scientific education' affiliated with the Methodist Church. The college opened in the fall of 1854 and still occupies its historic campus, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Wofford's Phi Beta Kappa chapter, charted in 1941, was the first at a private college in South Carolina. — Map (db m9837) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Wellford — 42-8 — Fort Prince|
Located nearby, this fort protected early settlers from the Indians and served as camp for a detachment of militia en route to join the 1776 expedition against the Cherokees. The fort was headquarters in 1780 for a British garrison commanded by Colonel Alexander Innes. — Map (db m24055) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Wellford — In Honor of the Students of Wellford-Lyman-Tucapau High School|
|Who served in the Armed Forces
of there Country in World War II
and in loving memory of those who gave their lives
James Redmond Barry Lethco Augustus Groce, Jr.
Lee Earl Brown Daniel Carey Morgan
Ellis Perry Bruce Thomas Richard Mullinax
Charles Martin Burnett William Primrose Murrph
Grady Milford Dunlap William Maurice Sumner
Frank Leslie Vernon Class of 1949 — Map (db m16994) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Woodruff — Crash Site of USA AF A20G Havoc Dec. 6, 1943|
|In Memory of
2nd Lt. Hampton P. Worrell, Pilot
b. Sept. 27, 1917 in SC - Age 26
Sgt. Harry G. Barnes, Gunner
b. Sept. 22, 1924 in NY - Age 19
Sgt. John D. Hickman, Gunner
b. Dec. 31, 1923 in CA - Age 21 — Map (db m15166) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Woodruff — S.J. Workman Highway|
|Named in Honor of
Business and Civic Leader
for his dedicated public service
Member, State Highway Commission
1952-56 and 1964-68
Chairman, State Highway Commission
1967-68 — Map (db m20595) HM|
|South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Woodruff — Veterans of Foreign Wars|
|Dedicated to the men and women having served honorably in the United States of America's Armed Forces on foreign soil. — Map (db m55952) HM|