|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Chisholm — The Emergence of Man Through Steel|
|They toiled with purpose. These miners of ours... moving tons of iron ore for massive steel towers.
This devotion to a nation, they adopted as one, makes the heritage of the iron range foremost 'neath the sun.
The legend lives. They were the "Iron Men" who dug the mines and contributed to the building and expansion of this country, during an industrial age. They helped to provide the iron needed when freedom was threatened.
Today, as the industrial age ebbs, and the . . . — Map (db m6756) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Boat House and Pier|
|Hesperia, the name given to the Congdon's yacht, was a family name. Registered as a yacht in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1911, the Hesperia was constructed of wood with a raised deck design. The boat was powered by an internal combustion engine (gasoline) with a four stroke, six cycle operation. The yacht had an overall length of 53 feet, a water line length of 51 feet, and a breath of 12 feet. The yacht needed a 6 foot draft (water clearance). The Hesperia burned in a refueling . . . — Map (db m26552) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Canal|
|Very early Duluth felt that future growth
would depend on having suitable harbor and
dockage. Winter storms wrecked breakwater and docks built outside Minnesota Point. St. Louis Bay offered a protected harbor, but access required a canal be dug through Minnesota Point. A contract was let. Dredging started the summer of 1870—cutting through two-thirds of the point—before being stopped by winter. Interests not favoring a canal used the delay to secure an injunction from the War . . . — Map (db m2913) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Clayton Jackson McGhie Memorial|
An event has happened, upon which it is difficult to speak and impossible to remain silent.
Elias Clayton • Elmer Jackson • Isaac McGhie
On June 15, 1920, following the alleged rape of a young woman, Duluth police locked up a number of men who worked for a travelling circus. That evening, thousands of Duluthians gathered outside the city jail. The police were under orders not to shoot, and they obeyed.
With timbers and rails as battering rams, the mob broke down the . . . — Map (db m46978) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — SL-DUT-002 — Clifton–French River|
|Clifton, first townsite surveyed in the United States section of the North Shore, was platted
west of the mouth of the French River in 1855. The river was known to early explorers
as Riviere des Francais. Rumors of nearby copper deposits resulted in widespread prospecting
and townsite planning in the 1850s. Like many of the projected towns, Clifton never
developed. From 1864 to 1866, the French River Mining Company and the North Shore
Mining Company dug several exploratory shafts, but . . . — Map (db m43766) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Daniel De Gresolon, Sieur Du Lhut|
|The near-by canal marks the site of Little Portage on Minnesota Point crossed on June 27, 1679 by Daniel De Gresolon, Sieur Du Lhut, a gentleman of the Royal Guard of Louis XIV on his way to explore the Upper Mississippi. — Map (db m2876) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Dedicated to Davis Helberg|
|In recognition of his non-tiring commitment to the maritime community and service as Duluth Seaway Port Authority executive director for 24 years, 1979-2003.
A native of and lifelong resident of Northern Minnesota, Davis began his career as a 17-year-old Great Lakes deckhand in 1958, which stimulated his love of and interest in the maritime commerce of the Duluth-Superior Harbor. Coupled with his deep and abiding enthusiasm for our Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway and his global . . . — Map (db m5584) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Duluth–Superior Harbor|
|Duluth-Superior harbor is the westernmost terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway and the world's most inland seaport. Harbor commerce began when Daniel Greysolon Sieur Du Luht portaged across Minnesota Point in 1679 where the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge now stands, opening the area for fur trading. With the early French voyageurs or traders came the first explorers and missionaries. Permanent settlements of Central Duluth began after the Indians ceded their lands in 1854. The Duluth Ship Canal was . . . — Map (db m4827) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Edgar A. Culbertson — BM1|
|This plaque is dedicated by the people of Duluth to the memory of a fellow citizen, Coast Guard Boatswains Mate First Class, Edgar A. Culbertson, who on the night of April 30, 1967 gave his life attempting to rescue three teen-age brothers stranded on this pier during a severe storm. His great sacrifice is an enduring example of his devotion to duty and compassion for his fellow man. — Map (db m2758) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Enger Observation Tower|
|To the memory of
Bert J. Enger
1864 – 1931
Native of Norway
Citizen of Duluth
From Common Laborer to Merchant Prince, he demonstrated in his own life that America is a land of opportunity for the immigrant, and that her civilization is enriched by his citizenship.
In his life time, by a very generous gift, he enabled the City of Duluth to acquire and develop the land adjacent to this tower as a park and golf course for the enjoyment of future generations, and . . . — Map (db m4807) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — SL-DUL-242 — Fond du Lac|
|Fond du Lac was incorporated in 1857 and became a part of the City of Duluth in 1895. This is the site of a major Chippewa Indian settlement from the sixteenth through the nineteenth centuries and is situated on the early canoe route along the St. Louis River from Lake Superior to Lake Vermillion and the Upper Mississippi. Daniel Graysolon, Sieur du Lhut, visited the site in 1679. The American Fur Company established a trading post in 1817. Louis Cass camped here in 1820 while searching for the . . . — Map (db m43723) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Fond du Lac – Minnesota|
|Site of Ojibway Village
from earliest known period
Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Luth
was here in 1679
Astor's American Fur Company
established a trading post
on this spot about 1817
First Ojibway Treaty in Minnesota
made here in 1826
This monument was erected by
The Daughters of
the American Revolution
September 21, 1922
[DAR insignia] — Map (db m43725) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Glensheen, A Family Legacy|
Campus Heritage Marker
University of Minnesota Duluth
Glensheen, A Family Legacy
Glensheen estate was built between 1905 and 1908 for attorney Chester Adgate Congdon, his wife Clara Bannister Congdon and their children. The original 22 acre-plot featured rugged terrain with a stream that cut through dense woods to an underdeveloped, yet gently sloping shoreline. The Congdons recognized the promising beauty of the Lake Superior property, and measurements for . . . — Map (db m6603) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Illumination History of the Aerial Lift Bridge|
|The first lighting was on November 20, 1970, made possible through the contributions of Duluth school children, citizens, business people and visitors.
The present dramatic lighting, first seen on July 4, 1987, is made possible through a generous gift from the Rotary Club of Duluth, Club # 25. It symbolizes the warm welcome extended by Duluth citizens to ships and visitors from around the world.
Both projects were coordinated by the City of Duluth, which owns and operates the Bridge. — Map (db m2883) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Jay Cooke|
|Perhaps no individual in the history of Duluth had such a dramatic influence on the port's infant development than Jay Cooke, a Philadelphia financier. Cooke's reign at the Head-of-the-Lakes was brief, but all-encompassing for commercial development.
One of Cooke's earliest achievements was bringing the Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad from St. Paul to Duluth. The L.S. & M. had been chartered by the state in 1857, but it wasn't until after Cooke visited the area in 1866 that . . . — Map (db m6379) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Leif Erikson|
Discoverer of America
1000 A. D.
sponsored and erected by the
Norwegian American League
presented to the City of Duluth, Minnesota
August 25, 1956.
Designed and executed by
John Karl Daniels
sculptor. — Map (db m6323) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Lewis G. Castle|
|Honoring Lewis G. Castle
in recognition of his part as a volunteer leader in gaining the seaway and as the administer of the St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation.
The seaway, completed in 1959, represented decades of dreams, planning and work by men of the region. Prominent among these men was Lewis G. Castle of Duluth.
At this point, the Minnesota watershed flows into Lake Superior and the St. Lawrence Seaway begins. The first deep draft foreign flag vessel transited the . . . — Map (db m2910) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Minnesota's Oldest Concrete Pavement|
|The streets of this Duluth neighborhood are the first concrete pavements constructed in Minnesota. They were built of portland cement concrete in 1909 and 1910 and ushered in the era of modern roads and streets in the state. A distinctive feature of these pioneer concrete pavements is the scored surface pattern of rectangular grooves. This indented design was used, according to the records of the day, to provide a firm and substantial footing for horses.
Dedicated in 1959 by the . . . — Map (db m44081) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Northwoods Sailors|
|Department of the Navy • United States of America —
Navy Operational Support Center • Duluth, Minnesota
May all who pass this memorial recognize the brave men and women who have served in the United States Navy. This memorial stands in tribute to their honorable service that has changed the course of human events.
Serving in Duluth since 1898, their patriotism and sacrifice have preserved the freedom of the high seas and made this port what it is today. On every continent . . . — Map (db m5818) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Priley Fountain / Duluth Civic Center|
In grateful recognition
to Joseph C. Priley for his
unselfish and dedicated
efforts to beautify Duluth
July 26, 1970
Duluth Civic Center
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
— Map (db m49827) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Rice's Point|
|Rice's Point separates Duluth-Superior's outer from it's inner harbor, and is a focal point of Duluth's industrial activity. Many of the city's bridges can be seen, among them the Aerial Lift Bridge to the left, the John A. Blatnik Bridge straight ahead, and the Richard Bong Memorial Bridge to the right. The latter two connect Duluth with Superior, Wisconsin. Since the opening of the first Soo Lock in 1855, joining Lake Superior to the other Great Lakes, Duluth-Superior has been an important . . . — Map (db m4965) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — The Skyline Parkway|
|As you face Lake Superior, you will find that the eastern access to the Skyline Parkway, a 30-mile drive along the rim of the hills overlooking Duluth and Lake Superior, begins here to your right on the left bank of the Lester River. As you proceed north along the river you cross it to your left at Superior Street and then take the first road to your right. You are now on the Seven Bridges Road which follows the Amity Creek. Crossing it seven times before reaching the shoreline of pre-historic . . . — Map (db m44599) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Trotman Folding Stock Anchor — 1892|
|Conventional ship's anchor used from about 1870 to 1910, from the Whaleback steamer Thomas Wilson, sunk a half mile outside Duluth Piers. Recovered in 1973 by the U.S.C.G. Cutter Woodrush with divers Elmer Engman, Dave Anderson, Dan Goman and Paul Von Goertz.
The anchor weighs a ton and a half — Map (db m21027) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — United States Merchant Marine / U.S. Navy Armed Guard|
The United States Merchant Marine
In recognition of those who serve
their country in war and peace time
to those 250,000 who served in world war II
to those 670 who were taken prisoner
to those 6,700 plus who gave their lives
to the countless number who served
since this country’s founding
We gratefully dedicate this memorial
to the forgotten service.
American Merchant Marine Veterans
Dedicated May 22, . . . — Map (db m5433) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Eveleth — A Three-Way Continental Divide|
|A drop of rain water falling here in the Giants Range, a rare three-way continental divide, may flow either north into icy Hudson Bay, east into the Atlantic Ocean, or south into the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
From the north slope of these very old granite ridges, streams flow into the Red River of the North, through Lake Winnipeg, and into Hudson Bay in northern Canada.
Creeks and rivers on the south slope flow into the St. Louis River, enter Lake Superior at Duluth, and . . . — Map (db m3048) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Eveleth — John Mariucci|
|A tribute to John Mariucci
Who through the force of his unique personality and determination, laid the foundation for the great U. S. Olympic hockey championships. His belief in the capabilities of the American player shaped not only his goal, but also the future of all American hockey. This monument stands as a testimony to his contribution and his vision.
from The American Hockey Players — Map (db m2872) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Eveleth — Paul Wellstone Memorial and Historic Site|
|“Politics is not just about power and money games, politics is about the improvement of peoples lives, about lessening human suffering in our world and bringing about more peace and justice.”
Near this site on October 25, 2002—twelve days before Election Day—a plane carrying United States Senator Paul Wellstone crashed en route to the Eveleth airport. In addition to Wellstone, the crash took the lives of his wife Sheila Wellstone, their daughter Marcia . . . — Map (db m2891) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hermantown — Sunrise Memorial Park War Memorial|
|This memorial is dedicated to
peace and to man's search for it.
...and they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
...Nation shall not lift up sword against Nation,
neither shall they learn war anymore.
Isaiah 2:4 — Map (db m43710) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — 170 & 240 Ton Production Trucks|
|The giant 170 ton production truck in front of you was donated by Hibbing Taconite in 1998. It was originally purchased in 1975 at a price of $451,900 and operated for a total of 110,000 hours or an equivalent of 12.5 continuous years. During the career of Truck 166 it hauled over 30 million tons of materials, both ore and waste.
This truck is considered an 'electric' haulage unit in that each of the four wheel hubs houses an electric drive motor. Power to drive these wheel motors is . . . — Map (db m7088) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Birthplace of Greyhound Lines|
|It was in Hibbing, during 1914, that the Greyhound Bus System, through its predecessor company, first began operation. — Map (db m2756) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Business District|
|The heart of any city is its business district. In Hibbing, this was on Pine Street and also on Third Avenue.
Many varieties of shops were available to satisfy the community's needs.
People came from the many small locations and other communities to shop in Hibbing.
Like any pioneer mining town, the men gathered in the saloons to socialize. Hibbing had 60 saloons, many of which were patronized by each ethnic nationality.
These are some scenes of the business district. — Map (db m5145) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Carnegie Library|
|This library was donated to Hibbing by Andrew C. Carnegie. Mr. Carnegie was a financier who made his fortune in steel.
The library was finer than many in larger cities. It had all the major books available at the time.
When the building was demolished, the paintings hanging in the library were all that were saved. They can be seen at the First Settlers Museum, the Hibbing Library and the First Bank in Hibbing. — Map (db m5184) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Early Finnish Pioneers|
Dedicated to the memory of the early Finnish pioneers who helped to build this community.
The Minnesota Finnish-American Historical Society, Chapter 14, Hibbing, Minnesota.
1957 — Map (db m3108) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Finnish Workers Hall|
|The Finnish people were one of the first ethnic groups to arrive in this area in the late 1890's and early 1900's.
They built this building on this site in 1909. It was used for stage plays, dances and other social events put on for the Finnish community.
It was also a place for the workers to discuss working conditions and how to improve them. They were very instrumental in organizing the first unions. — Map (db m5144) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Frank Hibbing|
|Frank Hibbing was a German immigrant who came to Minnesota from Wisconsin, arriving on the Mesaba Range in 1892. He had heard that iron ore was discovered in Mt. Iron in 1890.
He recognized the possibilities of iron ore further to the west.
"I believe there's iron ore under me, my bones feel rusty and chilly," said Mr. Hibbing and he proceeded to purchase land leases.
One of the first things he did was to plot out a townsite. The townsite was incorporated on August 15, 1893 and . . . — Map (db m5146) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — George R. Stuntz|
|Born in Pennsylvania, 1820; Died in Duluth, 1902.
First permanent settler. In 1852 resided and traded on Minnesota Point. Government surveyor. Discovered iron ore before 1870 on Vermilion. Discovery of Missabe Range followed in 1890. Built Vermilion Trail. Forest ranger, ferryman, canoeist, guide, interpreter, observer, essayist and discoverer. He died poor, after having led many to riches. The Township of Stuntz, which includes Hibbing, was named in honor of him. — Map (db m2840) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Haulpak Production Truck Tires|
|Tires displayed here were for the 170 and 240 ton capacity production mine trucks used at Hibbing Taconite Company immediately to the north of this view site.
The tires for the 170-ton trucks are mounted on wheels that are 4.25 feet in diameter and with a tire diameter of 10.5 feet. It takes only 162 revolutions to cover the distance of a mile.
The 240 ton truck tires cost more than $20,000 each and a complete set of six would be more than $118,000 total. Even though the tires are 50 . . . — Map (db m27363) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Hill of Three Waters or the Triple Divide|
|A triple point, or triple divide, is the place where two continental divides intersect and water drains into three different watersheds. Five widely-recognized triple divides exist in the United States, including: Triple Divide Peak, Montana, The Hill of Three Waters, Minnesota, Three Waters Mountain, Wyoming, an unnamed hilltop near Gold, Pennsylvania, and the unofficially named Headwaters Hill, Colorado.
Minnesota's Triple Divide is located just to the north of this point. Here the . . . — Map (db m27715) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Hull-Rust Mahoning Mine Pit Overlook|
|Immediately to the north and extending approximately 3½ miles east to west is the open pit known as the Hull-Rust Mahoning Mine, begun in 1895. In fact, over the past 100 years of mining here, more than thirty separate mining companies have operated within its perimeter, many at the same time. At one time this was known as "The Largest Open Pit Mine in the World". The mine, at its maximum depth, is 600 feet in the Scranton Pit, just below and to the west of this point.
At the . . . — Map (db m6776) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Hull-Rust-Mahoning Mine|
|It has been called the “Grand Canyon of the North”—a fitting title for the world’s largest open pit iron mine. The Hull-Rust-Mahoning pit actually began as separate mines, named for their owners, first dug in 1895, that gradually merged into one. Today this enormous pit measures 1.5 by 3.5 miles with a depth of 600 feet. Because of its size and the important developments that took place here, the Hull-Rust-Mahoning mine played a key role in making Minnesota the leading . . . — Map (db m2833) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — In Abiding Love|
the people of
the men and
in all wars.
Erected 1956 A.D. by the Veterans Memorial Fund Committee • Robert J. Jacobson chairman • Fran Befera • Robert Genac • Anthony P. Caligiuri • Theodore Landswick • George M. Fisher — Map (db m26554) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Marion 1150 Dragline Bucket|
|In the 1950's the Pierce, South Agnew and Morton mines utilized a Marion 1150 Dragline to strip off the glacial till from above the iron ore body. This stripping bucket was on that Hanna Mining Company dragline. Several of the mining companies took advantage of the large capacity, high productivity and low cost of these enormous machines.
The bucket displayed has a 30 cubic yard capacity (approximately 600-bushel for comparison) and was designed as a 'sludge bucket'. With the large . . . — Map (db m8009) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Mining Haul Truck Engine Module|
Power Module Assembly Replacement Cost $372,000
Application: Komatsu 830E 240 Ton Electric Drive Haul Truck
Detroit Diesel Corporation 149 Series Engine
16 Cylinder, 2400 Cu. In., 2 Cycle Diesel Engine, 2200 Hp @ 1900 RPM
Fuel Consumption at HTC, 28 Gallons per Hour
Engine Service Life 100,000 Hours +
Engine Oil Capacity, 50 Gallons
Engine Weight, 11,250 Lbs.
General Electric Main Alternator
Alternator Weight, 9,500 Lbs.
L&M Mesabi . . . — Map (db m7273) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Moving the Town|
|Many of the homes were not owned by the occupants. When it came time to move them, they were offered the opportunity to buy the house for $1.00.
They would then have to arrange to move them at their own expense. Many businesses were also moved.
It was quite an achievement considering the equipment available in the 1920's and 1930's. Not all the buildings survived the journey. — Map (db m5139) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Oliver Club|
|With the mining activities expanding and the village of Hibbing's population growing, there was a lack of entertainment for the miners, so the Oliver Iron Mining Company constructed a building which was once known as the Oliver Club.
It had a two lane bowling alley, four pool tables, card room, a library, tennis court and an area where candy, ice cream and beverages were sold.
Many miners met at the Oliver Club as it was a place to meet and socialize with other friends.
The . . . — Map (db m5185) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Oliver Mining Co. Headquarters / Oliver Shop Laboratory|
|Oliver Mining Co. Headquarters
This building was the heart of the Oliver operation, the largest iron ore mining operation in United States history. The Superintendent of Mines and his staff made the day-to-day mining decisions here, and they were supported by a staff that handled clerical work, payroll, record keeping, hiring and firing, and other administrative functions.
Oliver Shop Laboratory
When the ore was mined, samples were crushed into fined particles and brought to . . . — Map (db m5132) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — P & H 2300 Production Shovel Bucket|
|The production shovel bucket here was once mounted on a P & H shovel similar to the one pictured here.
The bucket capacity is 18 cubic yards which is equivalent to nearly 400 bushel baskets of dirt or broken rock.
Made of cast alloy iron, additional 'wear parts' are welded onto the surface of the bucket to extend the operating life. This is a constant task for mine welders. Bucket teeth, which are pinned on, are replaced by the 'bullgang' crew when worn down.
Shovel buckets . . . — Map (db m7021) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Schools|
|Education was very important to the new immigrants. They wanted their children to have an education that they were unable to have.
From small schools in the early years to bigger and better schools such as the Lincoln High School that was on this site with its gym and swimming pool, to the Washington and Jefferson Elementary Schools two blocks to the north, the dream of a good education system for their children was fulfilled. — Map (db m5183) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Train Depot / Street Car Bridge|
| Train Depot
Early passenger service was by train. Hibbing's Train Depot was one block west of this spot. Many immigrants seeking work arrived here and many of these same men left from this same depot to serve their new country during World War I.
Street Car Bridge
The first mode of transportation of people from North Hibbing to south Hibbing was by street car. The abutments you see to your left and right are all that remain of the bridge that connected north and south Hibbing. . . . — Map (db m5137) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Underground Mining in the Hibbing Area|
|In 1895 underground mining began in the Hibbing area following the discovery of iron ore. The Burt-Poole and Sellers mines were the first to ship that summer. Mining Captains, of Cornish decent, utilized their experience from the Vermillion Iron Range in northeastern Minnesota to develop these early underground operations.
It quickly became clear that open pit mining was more suited to the flat dipping and shallow iron ores on the Mesabi Range. Most of the initial underground operations . . . — Map (db m6877) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Idington — The Laurentian Divide|
|The Laurentian Divide separates the watershed of streams that flow north to the Arctic Ocean from the watershed of streams that flow south through the Great lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. Where you are standing the divide is formed by a prominent array of hills known as the Giants Range. This ridge has been a highland for over two billion years.
The name "Laurentian" is used because the granites forming the ridge are similar to and were once thought to be related to, granites of the . . . — Map (db m21025) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Independence — The Fires of Autumn 1918|
The Cloquet-Moose Lake forest fire of October 12-13, 1918, which almost reached this location, was one of the most destructive forest fires in Minnesota's recorded history. Like other major fires, this one took place on cutover land the stumps and waste that remained after the great pine forests of northeastern Minnesota were harvested for lumber.
Consisting of five or six major fires and several smaller ones, the Cloquet-Moos Lake fire started during a severe . . . — Map (db m21024) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Proctor — Geology of Duluth Harbor|
|Lake Superior is situated over the Midcontinent Rift, which is a rupture in the North American continent that formed a great rift valley from the Lake Superior region southwest to Kansas about 1.1 billion years ago. For about 20 million years as the rift valley opened, basaltic lavas erupted into it, accumulating to a thickness of up to 20 kilometers in the Lake Superior region. After the rifting and volcanic activity ended, the great thickness of dense basalt here depressed the crust into a . . . — Map (db m5113) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Proctor — Minnesota’s Seaport / Welcome to Minnesota|
|Minnesota’s Seaport. More than three billion tons of iron ore, along with millions of tons of grain, lumber, fish, and coal, have passed through the Duluth-Superior harbor since the beginning of Minnesota’s Iron Age. The first ore from the rich Mesabi Range left the harbor for smelters on the lower lakes in 1892, and by 1916 yearly shipments had reached nearly 38 million tons. Huge loading docks, built first of wood and later of steel and concrete, could load four of five ore-carrying lake . . . — Map (db m3094) HM|
|Minnesota (St. Louis County), Proctor — The Gate|
David von Schlegell (1920 – 1992)
The stainless steel sculpture functions as a metaphor, tying the horizontal lines of the land and Lake Superior, which are both very visible from this location, together at the point of intersection with the City of Duluth. The Gate serves to recognize the importance of Duluth, as not only a gateway to Minnesota's north shore, but also to the world through the Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway that extends . . . — Map (db m4756) HM|