HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Stearns County Markers
Minnesota (Stearns County), Clearwater — Exploring The Mississippi Headwaters
After the American Revolution, the 1783 Treaty of Paris, signed by those representing the American Colonies and Great Britain, sought to establish the boundary of the new country. In the middle of the continent the boundary was to run east to west along a line from Lake of the Woods to the Mississippi River and then along a line located in the middle of the river to the southern boundary. No one knew the exact location of the river in the north nor did the map used to draw the treaty show its . . . — Map (db m69746) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Cold Spring — Assumption Chapel (AKA Grasshopper Chapel) Assumpta est Maria
1854 Father Francis X. Pierz offers first mass in this vicinity 1877 Father Leo Winter, O.S.B. erects a chapel in honor of the Assumption of B.V.M. to avert grasshopper plague 1894 June 28. Tornado destroys chapel 1951 Chapel rebuilt during pastorate of Father Victor Ronellenfitsch, O.S.B., by members of the community and other friends — Map (db m78124) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Collegeville — Saint John's Abbey and University
Saint John's Abbey was founded in 1856 on the west bank of the Mississippi river in St. Cloud and was permanently located in the Indianbush, now Collegeville, on the shore of Lake Sagatagan in 1866 as the first Benedictine monastery in the Upper Midwest. From the beginning its monks were educators, missionaries, pastors and artisans. Their first ministry was among the settlers and Native Americans throughout Minnesota and North Dakota during the frontier era. Subsequently abbeys and . . . — Map (db m78190) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Collegeville — St. John's Abbey and University
St. John's Abbey was founded in 1856 on the west bank of the Mississippi near St. Cloud and permanently located in the Indianbush, now Collegeville, on the shore of Lake Sagatagan in 1866. St. John's was the first Benedictine abbey in the Upper Midwest, and from the beginning its monks were educators, ministers of the word, and artisans. Their first ministry was among the settlers and Indians throughout Minnesota and North Dakota during the frontier era. Subsequently abbeys and priories . . . — Map (db m78128) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Collegeville — St. John's Abbey and University Old Church and Quadrangle
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m78132) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Kimball — SN-MPR-004 — Maine Prairie Corners
Here in 1856 settlers from Maine established a community that grew into a vigorous pioneer village including three churches & stores, two lodge halls, blacksmith shop, cheese factory – all built near the site of a 2½-story tamarack fort used during the Sioux outbreak of 1862. With the coming of the Soo Line in 1886, most buildings were moved to Kimball. The last to remain burned in 1919. Stearns County Historical Society and the Kimball Centennial Committee 1949 Map (db m70766) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Luxemburg — Luxemburg
The first settlers in this area were immigrants from Luxembourg and Germany, founding Saint Wendelin's Parish Church in 1859. The town grew to include a school in 1861, post office in 1863, stores, hotel, livery, creamery, feed mill, and other businesses. Construction of the present church began in 1872. It contains a historically significant pipe organ and artwork. Presented by Luxemburg Lions 4-H Club, 2009 Map (db m70310) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Sauk Centre — Sinclair Lewis
When Harry Sinclair Lewis was born here on a bitter cold February 7, 1885, Sauk Centre was a raw prairie town with an unpaved main street and five or six blocks of false fronts. A gawky, sensitive child who achieved little success in school and was the brunt of every crude piece of horseplay. "Red" Lewis spent most of his youth tagging after his adored older brother and doctor-father, and reading every book he could find. He began to write at age fifteen. Despite the years of lost jobs and . . . — Map (db m43828) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Sauk Centre — The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan
Designed by its first Vicar, the Reverend George Stewart, this is the oldest church building in continuous use in Sauk Centre. Construction was begun in the spring of 1869 and completion of the $6700 structure was made possible by a $2000 gift sent from New York by Mrs. Robert B. Minturn as a memorial to her husband.

The church was consecrated by the Right Reverend Henry Benjamin Whipple, first Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota. On Christmas Eve of 1869 the first worship service . . . — Map (db m43826) HM

Minnesota (Stearns County), Saulk Centre — Sinclair Lewis Boyhood Home
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historical Sites Act of August 21st 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of United States. U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1968 — Map (db m7148) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — B.P.O.E. Building 1913
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78084) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — Breen Hotel 1921
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78085) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — D.B. Searle Building 1886
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78091) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — Daniel Building 1908
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78086) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — McClure & Searle [Building] c.1883
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78087) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — Petters Building 1914
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78089) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — Sherman Theatre 1921
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78092) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — St. Mary's Building 1925
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78093) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Cloud — United States Post Office 1936
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and St. Cloud Heritage Preservation Commission — Map (db m78090) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), St. Joseph — St. Walburg Hall
This property has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m78096) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Waite Park — Fata Morgana
Fata Morgana is carved from Cold Spring Granite's diamond pink granite from Rockville Quarry #1, located just west of HWY 23 before the I-94/HWY 23 interchange. The sculpture weights [sic] about 5,300 lbs. and was carved in 2005 by George Kurjanowicz of Barre, Vermont of Kurjanowicz Sculpture Studio. It was commissioned for the 2005 Granite Country USA exposition and donated by the St. Cloud Area Convention and Visitors Bureau to Quarry Park. Installation at the park occurred on June 27, . . . — Map (db m78097) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Waite Park — Quarry Derrick
This derrick was donated by Cold Spring Granite in 2006 to Stearns County Parks. It was disassembled from Cook, MN by park staff and Cold Springs Granite staff and transported to Quarry Park and Nature Preserve to complement the granite industry interpretive component of the park. The derrick was purchased by Cold Spring Granite from the U.S. government in 1946 as surplus equipment. The derrick was made by the Wiley Company of Port Deposit, Maryland, most likely for use on a barge during . . . — Map (db m78120) HM
22 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 148 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.