|South Carolina (Sumter County), near Sumter — Gen. Thomas Sumter Memorial Highway|
|This honors his 250th birthday,
1734-1984. Born in Va., Aug. 14.
A frontiersman and Indian fighter.
By 1760 he had settled in S.C. He was
a member First Provincial Congress,
called in 1775 because war with
England threatened. The commander
of The 6th Reg., S.C., in 1776, The Brig.
Gen., S.C. Militia, known as the
"Gamecock of the American Revolution."
War won, he returned to his Stateburg
plantation and business. He sought
pensions for veterans. He was . . . — Map (db m36271) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Boykin- Rembert area — Burwell Boykin / Battle of Boykins Mill|
a 15 year old
volunteer with the
Home Guard and
son of Col. Alexander
fought at this site
defending his home
on April 18, 1865.
SC Home Guard
9th Ky Mi
53rd Ala. Cav.
1st Lt. E.L. Stevens,
Infantry, last Federal
officer killed in the
Civil War, fell about
1/4 mile west of this
site April 18, 1865
during . . . — Map (db m44793) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Cane Savannah — 43-43 — Cane Savannah Plantation|
|(Front text) Cane Savannah Plantation was established in 1784 by a 4000-acre grant to Lt. Col. Matthew Singleton (1730-1787), state representative and officer who had served under Francis Marion during the American Revolution. The plantation is named for Cane Savannah Creek, a branch of the Black River. Singleton had moved from Va. to S.C. with his wife Mary James Singleton in 1753. (Reverse text)
Singleton built a house nearby, where he died in 1787.Cane Savannah then passed . . . — Map (db m43055) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Dalzell — 43-22 — Furman Academy and Theological Institution|
Established by the S. C. Baptist Convention in 1825, Furman opened in Edgefield in 1826. Later sites were here at High Hills (1829-1834), Winnsboro (1837-1850), and Greenville in 1851 (now Furman University). In 1859 the theological department became the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary which moved to Louisville, Ky. in 1877. |
The Rev. Jesse Hartwell was director of this school at High Hills, which took its name from Dr. Richard Furman (1755-1825), noted . . . — Map (db m47574) HM
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Dalzell — Site of Furman Academy|
Located on this spot
1829 — 1834 — Map (db m69833) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Dinkin’s Mill — 43-33 — Skirmish at Dinkins' Mill|
Following the battle of Boykin’s Mill on April 18, 1865, Federal troops commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter advanced south to Middleton’s Depot, on the Wilmington & Manchester R.R. below Stateburg. Here, on April 19, they attacked and attempted to flank a Confederate force commanded by Maj. Gen. P.M.B. Young which defended this crossing.
The 25th Ohio Inf. and 157th N.Y. Inf., supported by the 102nd U.S. Colored Troops, skirmished with . . . — Map (db m27649) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), East Sumter — 43-41 — Beulah School|
|This two-room African-American school was likely built between 1922 and 1930 for students in grades 1-7. It had 50-100 students and an academic year of four to five months until 1939 and six to eight months afterwards. Janie Colclough and Brantley Singletary taught here from 1932 through 1946. Beulah School closed in 1952 and was merged into Mayesville Elementary School. — Map (db m28713) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), East Sumter — 43-29 — St. Paul African American Methodist Episcopal Church|
|Marker Front: This congregation was organized before the Civil War and held its services in a brush arbor until 1875 when its trustees bought land near this site from B. W. Brogdon and built a sanctuary there. First church officers were trustees Cuff Brogden, Robert Brogden, and James Witherspoon. By 1880 the church was affiliated with the South Carolina Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
St. Paul A. M. E. Church bought this property in . . . — Map (db m27462) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Hagood — 43-34 — Oakland Plantation|
This plantation was established in 1735 with a royal grant to William Sanders, who built a house and tavern, or “publick house,” here. That house was either extensively remodeled into or replaced by the present house featuring a central hall, built ca. 1816 by William Sanders IV and further enlarged by his son William Sanders V shortly before the Civil War.
On April 18, 1865, in the last days of the Civil War, this house was the . . . — Map (db m27437) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Harvings Crossroads — 43-31 — Enon Baptist Church|
|This church was organized in 1872 by Rev. Benjamin Lawson and held early services in a brush arbor. The first sanctuary, a log building, was built about 1883, during the ministry of Rev. S.B.Taylor; its timbers were reused to build a frame sanctuary in 1905. The present sanctuary here, dedicated in 1972, was built during the ministry of Rev. T.O. Everette, who served Enon from 1958 to 1980. — Map (db m27486) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Horatio — 43-18 — Lenoir Store|
|Since before 1808, the Lenoir family have operated a general store at the site of Horatio, S. C. Lenoir's Store is mentioned in the 1808 will of Isaac Lenoir, and later appears on Mills's 1825 map and McLaurin's 1878 map of Sumter County. The present structure was erected prior to 1878 and is maintained by Lenoir descendants as a traditional country store. — Map (db m27824) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Manchester State Forest, Pinewood — 43-6 — St. Mark's Episcopal Church|
|(Front text) By Act of Assembly St. Mark's Parish was established in 1757. The first Church stood at Halfway Swamp. Others were built near Williamsburg-Sumter Line, near Rimini, and near this site. These four churches were abandoned or burned. Soldiers and Patriots of the Revolution were members of St. Mark's Parish.
The present church, designed by Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee, of Charleston, was built of brick made of local clay, on land given by R.C. . . . — Map (db m27134) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Mayesville — 43-16 — Birthplace of Mary McLeod Bethune|
This noted humanitarian and educator was born five miles north of Mayesville, S.C., on July 10, 1875. She was one of the first pupils of the Mayesville Mission School, located fifty yards west of this marker, where she later served as a teacher. She died on May 18, 1955, and is buried at Bethune-Cookman College.
Marker Reverse: Mrs. Bethune devoted her life to the advancement of her race. As the founder of Bethune-Cookman College, Daytona Beach, Florida, she . . . — Map (db m27402) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Mayesville — The Mayesville Story|
A Railroad Town
As with many rural South Carolina towns,
Mayesville grew up around a railroad depot.
The Wilmington and Manchester Railroad
built the depot in 1853 on land owned by
Matthew Peterson Mayes, known to his
friends and others as "Squire." Squire
Mayes was born in Virginia in 1794 and
settled in the Sumter District with his
marriage to a local girl, Martha Bradley.
He later married Henrietta Shaw and
built a home on land near where the town
of . . . — Map (db m29430) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Millwood — 43-39 — Mt. Zion Methodist Church|
This church, with its origin in a brush arbor where services were held during the Civil War, was formally organized in 1873 with a Rev. B. James as its first pastor. Col. James D. Blanding sold the trustees a small parcel to build their first permanent church, a frame building; church trustees bought additional acreage in 1883. The first Mt. Zion Methodist Church burned in 1913.
(Reverse text) The present church, also a frame building, replaced the first church. . . . — Map (db m27315) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Oakland — 43-14 — General Sumter Memorial Academy|
This forerunner of the modern consolidated rural high school with Colonel John Julius Dargan, noted educator, as founder and principal, offered classes in agriculture, home economics, and music. Day students from four districts were transported by mule-drawn covered wagons.
Acton, built in 1803 on this site by the Kinloch family, housed the Academy from 1905 until 1911 when the building burned. In 1908 the U. S. Department of Agriculture . . . — Map (db m27829) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Oakland — 43-9 — General Thomas Sumter|
Monument to General Sumter stands 500 yards south. Born August 14, 1734, in Hanover County, Virginia, he was a frontiersman and Indian fighter. Coming to South Carolina by 1764, he became a planter. As Partisan leader and later brigadier general of state troops, he harried the British in the Revolution. He served in U. S. House and Senate and died at South Mount, June 1, 1832. (Reverse text)
Monument to General Sumter was erected by General Assembly of S. C. . . . — Map (db m27769) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Oakland — General Thomas Sumter Grave|
This stone marks the grave of one of South
Carolina's most distinguished citizens,
Thomas Sumter. One of the founders of the Republic.
Born in Virginia August 14, 1734. Died June 1, 1832
To General Thomas Sumter
who fought so gloriously for the
Liberty of the United States
In remembrance of his two grandsons
Charles and Etienne DeFontenay
Who fought so heroically and died so nobly
for the . . . — Map (db m28532) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Oakland — 43-3 — High Hills Baptist Church|
Organized by Rev. Joseph Reese, this church was established Jan. 4, 1772. First located on land given by Dr. Joseph Howard (later moved to present site purchased from Gen. Thomas Sumter), it ordained, 1774, young Richard Furman, whose patriotic oratory caused Lord Cornwallis to put a price on his head, and who became one of the outstanding ministers of the gospel of his day.
This church was a leader in the early struggle for liberty, religious . . . — Map (db m27133) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Oakland — Thomas Sumter — Symbol of South Carolina Resistance|
|"Enchanted with the splendor of victory, he (Thomas Sumter) would wade in torrents of blood to attain it. "
Colonel Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee.
The land on which you now stand, here in the High Hills of Santee, once belonged to General Thomas Sumter. Today, only the graves of Sumter and many of his descendants remain as a vestige of his residence. Most of his exploits during the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783), Sumter contributed greatly to the ultimate defeat of British forces . . . — Map (db m28475) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Oswego — 43-28 — Bethel United Methodist Church|
Established in 1856 by French Huguenot families with the consolidation of Lodebar, Rembert, Clark, and Sardis Methodist Churches, all dating from the early settlement of Sumter District. The first minister was Rev. Bond English; trustees were James W. Rembert, W. F. Deschamps, Leonard Brown, Dr. Henry I. Abbott, Alex M. Watts, D. A. Foxworth, M. T. McLeod, N. S. Punch, and Rev. Henry D. Green.|
Members donated materials and both free and slave labor to construct the . . . — Map (db m47578) HM
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Pinewood — 43-7 — Col. David Dubose Gaillard — Engineer Of The Panama Canal|
|[Front]: Born at Fulton Crossroads, Sept. 4, 1859, David DuBose Gaillard spent his boyhood in this section. He was graduated from West Point in 1884, rising to rank of Lieutenant-Colonel of Engineers. During the Spanish American War he organized and commanded the 3rd U. S. Volunteer Engineers. He served on the general staff of the army and on major engineering projects, including the Panama Canal.
[Reverse]: Gaillard Cut of the Panama Canal was named for Col. Gaillard as a . . . — Map (db m27792) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Pinewood — 43-45 — Millford Plantation|
| (Front text)
Millford, 1mile west, is the finest
Greek Revival house in S.C. and one
of the finest in America. It was
built from 1839 to 1841 for John
Laurence Manning (1816-1889), a
planter, state legislator, and
governor 1852-54, and his wife Susan
Hampton Manning, a daughter of Gen.
Wade Hampton I. Some contemporaries
who thought it extravagant called
the mansion "Manning's Folly."
The three-story, stucco-over-brick
house features a massive . . . — Map (db m69512) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Pinewood — 43-15 — Richard Richardson|
|An early plantation owner in this area, he was a Commissioner of St. Mark's Church who donated land for its construction. He was Magistrate and Delegate to the First and Second Provincial Congresses. In the Revolution he was Colonel in the Snow Campaign and later Brigadier General. Six Governors of South Carolina are among his descendants. — Map (db m27793) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Privateer — 43-17 — Bethel Baptist Church|
Bethel (Black River) Baptist Church was organized in 1780 and admitted to the Charleston Baptist Association in 1782. Its mother church was High Hills Baptist Church. Bethel was incorporated in December 1823. The Reverend Solomon Thomson served as its first pastor. John China, Revolutionary War veteran, is buried in the cemetery.
The land for this church was donated by Hezekiah and Jesse Nettles. The present sanctuary, third on this site, was . . . — Map (db m27274) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Scottsville — " Ebenezer " — Goodwill Presbyterian Church|
|These bricks from the old sanctuary of the
Goodwill Presbyterian Church, along with
the new sanctuary, commemorate the
special grace of God that was visited upon
this community when Hurricane Hugo
swept through the state on September 21,
1989. There was terrible ruin, including the
destruction of this church's sanctuary. But
no lives were lost in this area, and relief
in many forms, including human helpers,
came to us from many places inside and
outside the state, and we were . . . — Map (db m28557) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Scottsville — Goodwill Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.|
| (Front text)
Founded in 1867 by 100 black members of
Salem, Black River, Presbyterian Church (1759)
desiring seperation. Dismissal granted, thus
becoming the first black church in Sumter
County. The congregation began meeting in
Goodwill School, established by the northern
Presbyterian Church thru Freedmen's Board.
Rev. Matthew R. Miller (1867- 1880), a white
minister, first pastor. Hamilton G. Witherspoon,
in 1868, gave 2 acres for a church site. In 1890,
3.74 acres were . . . — Map (db m28795) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Scottsville — 43-4 — Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church|
This house of worship, commonly called Brick Church, was founded by Scotch-Irish settlers in 1759 on land given by Capt. David Anderson. Original log meeting-house was replaced by frame building and named Salem Presbyterian Church (1768). The first brick church was built in 1802 and used until 1846 when the present church was built of brick made on the grounds. (Reverse text)
Old session house (1846) in the rear contains large library given by James McBride in . . . — Map (db m27861) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 43-30 — Battle of Beech Creek / The Civil War Ends In S.C|
|(Front text) Battle of Beech Creek
In April 1865 Confederates formed a defensive line along the high ground above Beech Creek to oppose Brig. Gen. Edward Potter's Federals advancing through Stateburg toward Camden. S.C. militia, the 9th Ky. Mounted Infantry, and the 1st Ky. "Orphan" Brigade fought off repeated Federal attacks in almost daily fighting between April 11th and 15th.
(Reverse text) The Civil War Ends In S.C.
A full Federal assault on April 15th pushed . . . — Map (db m27348) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 43-36 — Battle of Stateburg|
|(Front text) In April 1865 2,700 Federal troops commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter left Georgetown in a raid against the railroad lines between Sumter and Camden. After briefly occupying Sumter Potter advanced to Manchester and remained there for a few days. On April 14 he ordered the 25th Ohio Infantry and 107th Ohio Infantry to advance toward Stateburg in a reconnaissance in force.
The Confederate force here was the 9th Kentucky Mounted Infantry, a . . . — Map (db m27358) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — Church of the Holy Cross|
|The Church of the Holy Cross began as a
chapel of ease to St. Mark's Episcopal Church,
Clarendon County. In 1788, it was granted a
charter as the Episcopal Church of Claremont.
On September 11, 1850, the cornerstone of
the present church was laid on the site
of the old church and the name
changed to the Church Of The Holy Cross. The
church is an unusually lovely mid-nineteenth
century structure of pise de terre (rammed
earth) built in a simple but highly refined . . . — Map (db m43201) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 73001732 — Church of the Holy Cross|
|The National Register
of Historic Places
Department of Archives
Church Of The
Holy Cross — Map (db m44284) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 43-12 — Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg / Holy Cross Churchyard — (Episcopal)|
|(Front text) Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg (Episcopal)
This church is the successor to the nearby Chapel of Ease of 1770. Present building is on the site of the old Claremont Church of 1788, built on land given by General Thomas Sumter. Holy Cross is constructed of pise de terre, which is rammed earth. The cornerstone was laid on September 11, 1850.
(Reverse text) Holy Cross Churchyard
In the surrounding churchyard are the graves of many distinguished South . . . — Map (db m27132) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 43-5 — Early Charleston Road|
|This road largely followed the Catawba Path (1698). Widened by Public Act, 1753, and called "The Great Charleston Road," it joined that city with Camden and "The Back Country." Over it came Indians, pack-animals laden with hides, drovers, rolled hogsheads of produce, wagoners, and stagecoaches. The armies of two wars passed over it. Like other main roads, it has often been called "The King's Highway." — Map (db m27822) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — Joel Roberts Poinsett — 1779-1851|
| Born in Charleston, S.C.
Statesman, diplomat, author
Educated in medicine, military science
Traveled extensively in Asia and Europe.
concerned with the independence
of South American Colonies.
U.S. House of Representatives.
First U.S. Minister to Mexico
and Secretary of War
in Van Buren's Cabinet.
he introduced to this country
a species of the Euphorbia plant
later named Poinsettia in his honor.
. . . — Map (db m43361) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 43-19 — William Tennent|
|Third Presbyterian preacher of this name, Tennent died several miles south in 1777. He was born in 1740 of a renowned family of ministers and educators. From 1772 he served as pastor of the Independent Church of Charlestown. As a patriot, he prepared the up country for the Revolution and advocated the dissenters' appeal for equality in religious rights. — Map (db m27434) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Battle of Dingles Mill — Memorial Park|
|Battle fought at this site Apr. 9, 1865 Dedicated Saturday Jan. 27, 1979 3 P.M.
Sponsored by Dick Anderson Chapter No. 75 (1896) United Daughters of the Confedercy
Wm. E. Brunson III, noted War Between The States Arms and Records collector, Chr
Many people joined in making this park a standpoint of our cherished heritage a reality. — Map (db m35569) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-10 — Battle of Dingle's Mill|
|(Front text) Here on Apr. 9, 1865, the day of Gen. Lee's surrender, was fought one of the last battles of the War between the States. 158 Confederates rallied by Col. Geo. W. Lee stopped, for several hours, the advance of 2700 Union troops under Gen. Edward E. Potter. Casualties: Confederate 12; Union 26.
(Reverse text) April 9, 1865 A Confederate homeguard of old men, boys, and convalescents here made a gallant stand in an effort to halt Potter's Raid, an expedition which . . . — Map (db m35886) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-20 — Clara Louise Kellogg|
| Clara Louise Kellogg, said to be the first American-trained prima donna, was born near here in 1842. Her family later moved to New York, where, at age 14, she began to study voice, making her debut four years later. Miss Kellogg soon became world famous. A leading operatic soprano in America and abroad, she sang in such cities as London, Vienna, and Saint Petersburg.
In 1873, Clara Louise Kellogg, world-famous American prima donna, helped organize the English . . . — Map (db m28685) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-44 — Concord Presbyterian Church|
This church, organized in 1808 by Rev. George G. McWhorter of the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, held its first services in a brush arbor near Concord Springs. The next year Gen. Thomas Sumter donated two acres to the Concord Society to build a “Meeting House,” which was built soon afterwards.|
Concord is the mother church of First Presbyterian Church of Sumter (1823). In 1832 noted college president and theologian James Henley . . . — Map (db m47678) HM
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-27 — Elizabeth White House|
|The Elizabeth White House, built about 1854, was for many years the home of Miss White (1893-1976), a Sumter native who was an internationally-acclaimed artist and lifelong patron of the arts. White, who studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, is best known for her etchings of South Carolina scenes. This Greek Revival cottage was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. — Map (db m29201) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-21 — First Baptist Church|
|(Front text) Organized in 1813 with 13 members, this branch of Stateburg's High Hills of Santee Baptist Church (founded before 1772) became an independent congregation on September 24, 1820. It became known as Sumterville Baptist Church, and among early ministers who preached there were Dr. John Roberts and Dr. Richard Furman, noted pastor, patriot, and educator. (Reverse text)
By 1820 this congregation had built Sumter's first church. Subsequent buildings date from 1854, . . . — Map (db m27547) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — First Baptist Church|
|(Front): This church was organized as Shiloh Baptist Church, 1868. The name was changed, 1931. First black Baptist church in town. Located on S. Main St., near Bee St. Rev. Ben Lawson, first pastor, served for thirty-odd years. The second location was also on Main St., between Bartlette and W. Oakland Ave. Here, 1877, the state Baptist Missionary, Educational and Sunday School Convention was organized. One of its greatest works was the founding, 1908, of Morris College, which it still . . . — Map (db m55961) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832|
|(West Face right)
Thomas Sumter was born
near the Blue Ridge
Mountains in Virginia in 1734.
He fought in the French and
Indian War and also against
the Cherokees in 1761.
Sumter married Mary
Cantey in 1767 in St. Marks
Parish (Clarendon County)
South Carolina. They had one
child who survived, a son
Thomas Sumter, Jr., born 1768
He served as a
Justice of the Peace (1774)
and as a member of the First
Provincial Congress in
South Carolina . . . — Map (db m27904) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-2 — Green Swamp Methodist Church — Site of First Methodist Church in Vicinity of Sumter|
|Influenced by Bishop Francis Asbury, Richard Bradford gave land and with others built a wooden chapel in 1787, first called Bradford's Meeting House. Here Santee circuit riders preached until 1827 when church was closed and services held for convenience of the members in growing village of Sumter. — Map (db m28505) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-40 — Henry J. Maxwell Farm|
|(Front text) Henry Johnson Maxwell (1837-1906), Union soldier, U.S. postmaster, state senator, and lawyer, lived here from 1874 until his death in 1906. Maxwell, the son of Stephen J. and Thurston Johnson Maxwell, was born free on Edisto Island. After serving as a sergeant in the 2nd U.S. Colored Artillery, he returned to S.C. to teach and work for the Freedmen’s Bureau in Bennettsville. (Reverse text) Maxwell, postmaster of Bennettsville 1869-70, was said to be “the . . . — Map (db m29462) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-26 — Henry L. Scarborough House|
|The Henry Lee Scarborough House was built 1908-09 by Scarborough (1866-1929), a leading Sumter County farmer, businessman, and public servant serving as county treasurer (1894-1902), commissioner of public works for six years and clerk of court (1912-1929). This house, an excellent example of the Neo-Classical Revival style, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. — Map (db m29202) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-38 — Kendall Institute|
|(Front text) Kendall Institute, founded on this site in 1891, was one of the first black schools in Sumter. It was funded by the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. The institute was named for Mrs. Julia B. Kendall, late wife of Rev. Henry Kendall, secretary of the Board of Missions 1870-1892. It emphasized academics for primary and secondary grades; some students boarded here in a girls’ dormitory or a boys’ cottage. (Reverse text)
The . . . — Map (db m29386) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Major General George L. Mabry, Jr. Veterans Memorial Park|
|Center Monument In remembrance of those who paid the supreme sacrifice that we may remain a free people
Left front pedestal Major General George L. Mabry, Jr. Veterans Memorial Park Dedicated May 28, 1990 Maj. Gen. George L. Mabry, Jr., U.S. Army (Retired), was born Sept. 14, 1917, in Stateburg, S.C. He was a veteran of the June 6, 1944 D-Day Landing on Utah Beach in Normandy. He was presented The Congressional Medal of Honor for bravery above and beyond the call of duty. . . . — Map (db m55941) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-25 — Military Post / Potter's Raid|
After the Civil War ended in 1865, a Federal military occupation garrison was located for sometime in this area of Sumter. Known locally as "Yankee Camp," the post contained officers' quarters, barracks, and a guard house. Here sentinels could be seen guarding their posts while prisoners and soldiers performed various camp chores.
(Reverse text) Potter's Raid
On April 9, 1865, the day that Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House, Federal . . . — Map (db m27832) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Mount Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church — "From Bush Arbor to Brick and Mortar"|
|(Front): In 1866 soon after the Civil War an interracial Methodist organization was formed. They worshiped under a Bush Arbor near the railroad in South Sumter. After a few years they grew discontented with the organization and sought to form a newly introduced church called the African Methodist Episcopal Church. For a while they conducted services in the Sumter County Courthouse. Later they moved to a rented workshop building on South Sumter Street. (Reverse): In 1869 $300.00 . . . — Map (db m55962) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-32 — Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle|
| Potter's Headquarters Federal troops commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter, on a raid through this area in the last days of the Civil War, advanced to Sumter after defeating a small Confederate force at Dingle’s Mill on April 9, 1865. The Augustus Solomon House, which stood on this site, was Potter’s headquarters April 9-11. His troops left Sumter April 11 to carry out the destruction of Confederate trains at Manchester.
Federal Order Of Battle
Potter’s Provisional Division, . . . — Map (db m27831) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Site of The Battle of Dingle's Mill|
This tablet marks the site of the Battle of Dingle's Mill fought April 9, 1865 between Potter's Brigade and the Reserve South Carolina Malitia C.S.A.
Erected by Dick Anderson Chapter U.D.C.
(Lower stone marker text)
The adjacent marker was first placed on
the bridge built over nearby Turkey Creek.
Dedication was held, April 9, 1913 with address
by Dr. S.H. Edwards, noted Sumter educator.
Veterans of this battle attended ceremonies.
This crossing was the . . . — Map (db m35746) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — St. Anne Catholic Church|
| (Front text)
Members of the Catholic Church of
St.Lawrence laid the cornerstone of
the Catholic Church of St. Anne here
in 1909 next to St. Joseph's Academy
(1862-1929). St. Anne's is an early Gothic
revival structure, with a cruciform
floor plan. For the past several decades
the parish has operated a school
here and, since 1974, has been served
by an order of priests known as the
Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
Sumter County's first . . . — Map (db m29212) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-37 — St. James Lutheran Church|
This church, the first Lutheran congregation in Sumter County, was organized in 1890 as a Home Mission, with six charter members and with Rev. F.W.E. Peschau as its first pastor. The congregation met in area churches, public buildings, or homes for several years. Its first church, built 1894-96, was a frame building at the corner of Washington Street and Hampton Avenue.
(Reverse text) The longest-serving pastors of St. James were Revs. J. Emmet Roof, who served . . . — Map (db m27345) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Sumter District Confederate Dead|
| (East face)
1860 — • —
Sumter District to their
— • —
The Ladies Monumental Assoc.
of Sumter District
Deeded to Dick Anderson
Chapter no. 75, Inc.,
United Daughters of the Confedercy
Renovated by this Chapter
Faithful in Life
— • —
(List of 108 names)
(North . . . — Map (db m27740) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-13 — Sumter Institute — 1867-1901|
|(Front text) A boarding school for girls located on the northeast corner of Washington and Calhoun Sts. Founded by Laura Fraser Browne and Eliza E. Cooper in 1867. Incorporated in 1888. H. Frank Wilson, president, 1892- 96. (Reverse text) This school inspired Sumter's revival from war's desolation. Beginning as a one-room day school, it became a girls' boarding academy, ranking high among South Carolina educational institutions, a center of the social, spiritual, and cultural . . . — Map (db m29406) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Sumter Vietnam Memorial|
|The men of Sumter County who gave their lives in Vietnam
Terry Lynn Anton; Robert Cain, Jr.; Herbert Hugo Cato, III; Charles Clark; Wyman Byrd Coleman; John Hughie Geddings; Charles Jack Girard; David Nathaniel Green. Jr.; Adherene Louis Haines; Leland Emanuel Hammond; Jimmie Lee Harvin; William James Henry; Robert Lee Howell; Wallace Gourley Hynds, Jr.; Helmut Gustave Lakaxzus; Marvin Lindsey; Elec McCoy; Carl McFadden, Jr.; James Nickens; Clarence E. Nunnery, Jr.; James Willard F. . . . — Map (db m55949) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Sumter World War II Monument|
|Dedicated to the Memory of the men of Sumter County who made the supreme sacrifice 1941 ~ 1945
(Along the Base of the monument)
World War II
Erected by the Grateful Citizens of Sumter County 1949 — Map (db m55944) WM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-8 — Sumter's Court Houses|
|(Front text) By Act of 1798, Commissioners were named "To ascertain and fix upon the most central place for the erection of a court house in the District of Sumter", and meanwhile "to fix upon a proper place for the sitting of the court". During 1800-01, court was held in the John Gayle home (N.E. corner Main and Canal Streets) until a suitable court house was ready for use, Jan. 1802, though not completed until 1806.
The second court house, designed by . . . — Map (db m27361) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — Sumter's Memorial To Its Brave Soldiers|
|In solemn and thankful remembrance of the unselfish and patriotic sacrifice on the part of the brave men of Sumter County who served in the forces of the United States of America in the war against Germany and her allies for the preservation of the rights of mankind throughout the world. This park is given and dedicated in perpetuity for the use of the people of Sumter. Deed of gift in trust executed by thirty-seven citizens, August 1st, 1919. — Map (db m55916) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-24 — Sumterville Academy|
|This site of one acre was given in 1837 for use for a public school by
Col. John Blount Miller (1782-1851)
Lieutenant-Colonel in the War of 1812,
a public-spirited citizen and advocate of
education; attorney, orator, writer, founder
of the Sumterville Library Society and Baptist Church; first notary public (1805) and
Commissioner in Equity (1817-1851) for Sumter District . — Map (db m29049) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-42 — Temple Sinai|
|(Front text) Sumter’s Jewish community, dating to 1815, has long been one of the largest and most influential in inland S.C. Mark Solomons, Franklin J. Moses, and Montgomery Moses brought their families to Sumter District from the old and
well-established Jewish community in Charleston. Other families, from Spain, Germany, Poland, Russia, and other European nations, followed. Two organizations founded shortly after the Civil War would later join to form a congregation.
(Reverse . . . — Map (db m27488) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-23 — The Tuomey Hospital|
|Sumter Hospital was begun 1904 by Drs. S. C. Baker, Walter Cheyne, Archie China, H. M. Stuckey, and was built shortly thereafter nearby. Renamed Tuomey following purchase in 1913 with funds from will of T. J. Tuomey (1842-1897) which specified that a community hospital be established. Gifts were added by Mrs. Tuomey (Ella Bogin), & Neill O'Donnell, a relative. Generous citizens give their continuing support. — Map (db m28765) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Wedgefield — 43-1 — Site of Manchester|
|A flourishing town once stood here; Settled before 1799; Stage-coach relay; Shipping center for cotton traffic by boat to Charleston; A busy point on Wilmington & Manchester Railroad, 1852-1872, (station was 1 mile southeast); Noted for its taverns, horse-racing, games of ball-alley, and cock-fighting; Raided by Union troops, 1865; And abandoned by railroad, 1872, in favor of Wedgefield. — Map (db m27823) HM|
|South Carolina (Sumter County), Wedgefield — 43-35 — Wedgefield Presbyterian Church|
This church was founded in 1881 with assistance from Harmony Presbytery. It had 12 charter members, with elders Cornelius McLaurin and James Caldwell and deacons Dr. Henry J. McLaurin and Edward H. McCutchen. Rev. H.B. Garris, Wedgefield’s first minister, preached two Sundays a month in an old school nearby.
The church sanctuary, often called “the church in the pines,” was completed in 1882 on land donated for the church and . . . — Map (db m27238) HM|