|Alabama (Talladega County), Childersburg — Coosa|
| Important Indian town for over 250 years and capital of Coosa province.
Visited by DeSoto in 1540, and later by Spanish, French, British colonial explorers and traders. Early writers tell of abundant food crops, wild and cultivated, supporting a large population. — Map (db m57994) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Childersburg — De Soto's Visit|
north of this spot was
the Indian town
July 16, 1540
This stone erected by
the National Society of
Colonial Dames of America
1936 — Map (db m44230) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Childersburg — DeSoto Caverns|
| Named for the famous Spanish explorer who traveled through this area in 1540. Over its rich history it offered shelter for native Indians for centuries (a 2,000-year-old Woodland Period burial was excavated by archeologists in the mid-1960s), became the first officially recorded cave in the U.S. (1796), and served as a Confederate gunpowder mining site during the Civil War.
One of the largest show caves in the southeastern U.S., the main room of the caverns stands 12-stories high and is as . . . — Map (db m45034) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Childersburg — History Of Childersburg|
| Childersburg traces its heritage to the Coosa Indian village located in the area. DeSoto, accompanied by 600 men, began his march across North America in June 1539. Traveling from Tampa Bay, Florida, northward through what became the Southeastern United States, DeSoto's expedition began searching for riches. Upon entering the area that would become Alabama, DeSoto and his men marched southward along the Tennessee River to Tali. From Tali, they marched to the banks of the Coosa River. In the . . . — Map (db m45137) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Childersburg — The De Soto Trail — Alabama De Soto Trail — Chief Coosa And His Dominion|
| 1492 - Columbus visits Caribbean islands
1519 - Pineda visits Mobile area
1528 - Narváez reaches Mobile area
1540 - De Soto explores Alabama
1559 - De Luna retraces De Soto’s route in Alabama
1702 - French establish first permanent colony at Dauphin Island
Today, after 450 years of searching, the exact route of Hernando de Soto through the southeastern United States remains the foremost historical mystery of the South. Despite the work of professional and amateur archaeologists . . . — Map (db m45496) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville|
| Here in 1814 Tennessee Troops Joined Andrew Jackson's force which won the Creek Indian War.
After Indian removal in 1836 these veterans brought their families here, named this community for their old home in Tennessee. Fayetteville Academy was built in 1850. — Map (db m57993) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Fayetteville — To The Memory of General Jackson|
|To The Memory of General Jackson and his Tennessee Volunteers while camped here 1814. He fought the Battle of Horseshoe Bend and discharged his Volunteers. — Map (db m45706) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Lincoln — Lincoln, Alabama|
|(Side A) Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the area increased. The community was known as Kingsville until 1856 when the name was changed to Lincoln. The name Lincoln came from Revolutionary War General Benjamin Lincoln who accepted the sword of surrender from the British at Yorktown, Virginia in . . . — Map (db m33282) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Lincoln — Refuge Cemetery|
|In April 1950, Alabama’s last two living Confederate veterans met here to discuss shared experiences of the Civil War. Local resident Col. Pleasant ‘Riggs’ Crump was visited by Gen. James Moore of Selma, commander of the Alabama chapter of the United Confederate Veterans. Present at the surrender at Appomattox 85 years earlier, Crump had returned to the Lincoln area after the Civil War. He was a member of the Refuge Baptist Church which he served as deacon for 71 years, and was buried in this cemetery after his death in 1951 at the age of 104. — Map (db m62209) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Oak Grove — Stars Fell On Alabama / Hodges Meteorite|
Stars Fell On Alabama
November 30, 1954. It was a cold, clear early afternoon when Dr. Moody Jacobs left his office for lunch. In the sky, he saw a trail of dark smoke and heard an explosion before white smoke shot out in several directions. “I thought a plane had exploded,” Moody said. Back by 1 p.m. he received a call to an Oak Grove home to treat Mrs. Ann Hodges who’d been struck by a “comet.” The descending fireball had actually been seen by many people . . . — Map (db m44229) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Sylacauga — Fort Williams — —12 miles west—|
|Built by Andrew Jackson with U.S. Regulars, Tennessee Volunteers and friendly Cherokees and Creeks. Used as advance base during final phases of Creek Indian War, 1813-1814. Military cemetery nearby. — Map (db m57761) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Sylacauga — Hightower Brothers Livery Stable|
|Founded in 1896 by brothers John Judge and Milton Graham Hightower, this small-town livery stable served the community and surrounding countryside until its closing in 1955. Originally located nearby, the business moved to this “New Town” site in 1905. A brick building was erected in 1914 after the original wood-frame structure was destroyed by fire.
The Hightower Brothers furnished area farmers with agricultural resources, local businesses with vehicles, and the people of . . . — Map (db m57763) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Sylacauga — Marble City Cemetery Sylacauga|
|Marble City Cemetery opened for public burials in 1898 when the City of Sylacauga purchased one acre of a wheat field from James T. Persons. Originally a private burial ground of the George W. Pearson family, the earliest burial dates from 1876. The city expanded the cemetery in 1919 and 1937. This ten acre cemetery is a mirror of the history of Sylacauga’s marble production. Local stone cutters and men from Italy, Hungary, and Scotland used this area’s native white marble to carve these . . . — Map (db m57764) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Sylacauga — Sylacauga|
|Settled in 1748 by Shawnee
Indians from Ohio.
They joined Creek Confederacy,
fought against U.S. in War of 1812,
were moved west in 1836.
Settled before 1836 by men
who had fought in this area
under Andrew Jackson.
Indian name: Syllacogga or Chalakagay. — Map (db m40595) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Auburn University And Birmingham-Southern College Began In Talladega, 1854|
|By action of the Alabama Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South in session at Talladega, December 13-18, 1854, Auburn University and Birmingham - Southern College were born. The delegation resolved to “have a college within the bounds of our Conference.” While the intent was to start a single college by and for the Methodist Church, intense rivalry between eastern and western sections of the state over the location of the school resulted in two institutions: the East . . . — Map (db m28202) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Battle Of Talladega — Nov. 9, 1813|
|Here Andrew Jackson led Tennessee Volunteers and friendly Indians to victory over hostile “Red Sticks.”
This action rescued friendly Creeks besieged in Fort Leslie.
Creek Indian War 1813 - 1814. — Map (db m28205) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Presbyterian Home For Children — Synod Of Alabama — Presbyterian Church In The United States|
|Originally conceived 1864 as a home for children of Confederate dead by Synod in session at Selma.
Opened at Tuskegee 1868 - relocated in Talladega 1891. A haven for dependent youth of Alabama providing training, education, and worship in a Christian atmosphere. — Map (db m28206) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Talladega Courthouse Square Historic District|
|The City of Talladega was incorporated in 1835. Not long after the founding of Talladega, the Square became the town center. The Talladega Courthouse was built in 1836 and is the oldest courthouse in continuous use in Alabama. The courthouse survived a tornado on May 11, 1912 that destroyed the clock tower, and a fire on March 13, 1925 that severely damaged the structure. Following the fire, Chattanooga architect R. H. Hunt was hired to redesign the building. When it was rebuilt, the east and . . . — Map (db m37229) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — The Joiner Family|
|The distinguished Joiner family lived here in an imposing mansion, demolished in 1970.
James H. Joiner: Pioneer in Talladega's progress while publisher, 1844-73, of one of Alabama's most influential newspapers - The Democratic Watchtower.
George A. Joiner (son): Confederate naval officer, publisher, politician, educator, business, religious and fraternal leader.
Jeanette Alabama Joiner (granddaughter): Educator.
Manly R. Joiner (grandson): Mayor of Talladega - 1922-1926 and . . . — Map (db m37220) HM|
|Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — USS Talladega (APA-208) — Talladega County — "The Tremblin' T"|
|Seven Battle Stars
* * * * * * *
World War II
* Iwo Jima Operation
* Okinawa Gunto Operation
First of the 31 ship convoy with occupation troops
to dock at Yokohama on VJ Day, September 2, 1945
* 3rd Korean Winter
* Korea, Summer-Fall (1953)
* Vietnam Defense Campaign
* Vietnamese Counteroffensive Phase II
* Vietnamese Counteroffensive Phase III
Commissioned October 31, 1944
Struck from Naval Register September 1, 1976 . . . — Map (db m12212) HM|