|Georgia (Taylor County), Butler — 133-4 — Taylor County|
|Taylor County was created by Act of Jan. 15, 1852 from parts of Macon, Marion and Talbot Counties. It was named for Zachary Taylor (1784-1850), 12th President of the U.S., Major-General, Commander of the Army of the Rio Grande. Known as “Old Rough and Ready,” he captured Monterrey, Sept. 24, 1846 and defeated Santa Anna at Buena Vista, Feb. 22-23, 1847.
First officers of Taylor County, commissioned July 24, 1852 were: J.M. Thompson, Sheriff; J.M. McCants, Clerk Sup. Ct.; James . . . — Map (db m27232) HM|
|Georgia (Taylor County), Butler — 133-3A — The Wire Road|
|The Wire Road, named for a line of telegraph wire once stretched along it, formed a part of the stage highway from Richmond to New Orleans. About 3 miles from the Flint River on this road is the Crowell Methodist Church, founded in 1826, on the site of an Indian Agency. Near the church were stables where fresh horses were kept for stagecoaches. Near Fickling’s Mill was an inn where travelers on coaches spent the night. Many noted guests, including General LaFayette, were entertained at the . . . — Map (db m27181) HM|
|Georgia (Taylor County), Butler — 133-1 — Tuscaloosa Formation|
|The sand clay formation here represents the first prominent Coastal Plain deposits laid upon an ancient floor of granites and gneisses. Southward this formation (Tuscaloosa Upper Cretaceous) becomes more and more deeply buried and contains marine beds. These rocks are more than 60,000,000 years old. Still older Lower Cretaceous rocks underlie them down the dip.
Oil fields of Alabama and Mississippi are from marine beds of this formation, which occur also in Georgia to the south, indicating oil in Georgia too. — Map (db m27177) HM|
|Georgia (Taylor County), Butler — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region|
|In 1775 during the travels of botanist William Bartram he first discovered golden St. John’s wort (his Hypericum aureum) near this site on Patsiliga Creek — Map (db m28057) HM|
|Georgia (Taylor County), Reynolds — 133-5 — Gen. John B. Gordon|
|General John Brown Gordon (1832-1904), CSA, lawyer, statesman, owned this farm, “Beechwood,” from 1888 until his death. Here he raised Texas ponies, goats, horses and cattle. For a time he lived in “the old John D. Mitchell home”; later, he moved to a nearby small house that is no longer standing. “The most important military figure in the history of Georgia, General Gordon had no training in martial affairs.” Elected Captain of a group of mountaineers, he . . . — Map (db m81037) HM|
|Georgia (Taylor County), Reynolds — Taylor County Rural Electric Cooperative|
|In 1936, a group of farmers in the Crowell area investigated the possibility of bringing electric service to the community. In 1937, they formed Taylor County Rural Electric Cooperative with a loan from the Rural Electrification Administration to serve 175 members in Taylor County. Crowell became the first community to be served by the new electric cooperative. Thus the humble beginning of Flint Electric Membership Corporation. Flint EMC now serves members in 15 Middle Georgia counties. — Map (db m14510) HM|