|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — BT-13A Valiant Dedicated 15 February 1994|
| Span: 42 Feet Speed: 140 MPH Length: 29 Feet Ceiling: 16,500 Feet Cost: $20,000 Engine: 1 Pratt & Whitney R-985 Manufactured by Vultee, the BT-13 Valiant almost completely dominated the AAF Basic Pilot Training program during WWII. Called the "Vibrator" by the pilots who flew it, the Valiant arrived at Goodfellow in August 1941 and continued as the chief basic trainer at the post until replaced in that role by the AT-6 Texan in late 1944. Goodfellow's Valiant (S/N 42-04130) bears the . . . — Map (db m12029) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — Chaplain, Major General Robert Preston Taylor U.S. Air Force Chief of Chaplains September 1962 - August 1966|
Chaplain Taylor was born in Henderson, Texas, in 1909. He received a bachelor of arts degree from Baylor University, Waco, Texas, in 1933; a master of theology degree from Baylor University, in 1936; and a doctor of theology degree from Southwestern Baptist Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas, in 1939.
Entering military service in September 1940, Chaplain Taylor first served as Post Chaplain at Barksdale Field, Louisiana. In May 1941, he was assigned as Regimental Chaplain of the 31st Infantry . . . — Map (db m71826) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — Charles B. Metcalfe 18 May 1856 - 11 Dec 1941|
This gate marks the east entrance to Glenmore Hall, built by Charles B. Metcalfe as his residence in 1907, about one-quarter mile west of this marker. Metcalfe arrived in the Concho Valley in 1873 at age seventeen from his home in Tennessee. In 1900 he bought Glenmore Farm, 1,400 acres on the Concho River s.e. of San Angelo, where he raised produce and livestock. In later years much celebrated for his accomplishments, Metcalfe built dams, bridges, some of the area's first fences, and served . . . — Map (db m71801) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — EC-47 ARDF Operations in Southeast Asia|
The aircraft on display is actually a C-47A, serial number 42-108866, but painted and marked to depict an EC-47Q, serial number 43-15204 assigned to the 361st TEWS and 6994th SS in Southeast Asia during 1974.
Dedicated to the Silent Warriors who trained at Goodfellow AFB and participated in EC-47 ARDF operations in Southeast Asia 1966 - 1974.
"Alone - Unarmed - Unafraid"
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force
Aircraft & Aircrew . . . — Map (db m71799) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — Goodfellow Field 1941|
In commemoration of
John J. Goodfellow, Jr.
who died in aerial combat
Sept. 14th 1918
near Metz, France
while serving with the A.E.F. — Map (db m71797) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — RF-4C Phantom II|
This reconnaissance aircraft honors the aircrews and imagery interpreters who since World War I, have provided photo imagery intelligence for U.S. fighting forces. As the training center for imagery analysis, Goodfellow Air Force Base has played a major role in developing that combat capability.
Dedicated 27 July 1990 — Map (db m71784) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — RF-4C Phantom II Dedicated 27 July 1990|
Span: 38 feet Speed: 1,384 mph
Length: 62 feet Ceiling: 55,200 feet
Cost: $1,900,000 Engine: 2 GE J-79
In the early 1960s the USAF developed the RF-4C out of the F-4 Phantom II fighter to reinforce the RF-101 in its tactical reconnaissance role. Beginning in 1964, McDonnell Douglas produced 499-RF-4C aircraft for the [U.S.] Air Force. Capable of photo reconnaissance at high or low altitude, day or night, the RF-4 saw service beginning in Southeast Asia in 1965 through the Gulf . . . — Map (db m71785) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — RQ-1K Predator Dedicated 27 May 2009|
Span: 48.7 feet Speed: 70-135 mph
Length: 27 feet Ceiling: 25,000 feet
Cost: $1 million Engine: Four-cylinder Rotax 914F
The aircraft on display is the RQ-1K Predator, SN 95-3013. It is a medium-altitude, long-endurance, first-generation unmanned aircraft system initially used for reconnaissance and surveillance. The RQ-1 entered the USAF inventory in 1994 and was deployed for the first time over Bosnia in 1995. In 2002, the Predator was armed with AGM-114 Hellfire missiles, . . . — Map (db m71828) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — RQ-4A Global Hawk Displayed - 9 February 2012|
Wingspan: 116.2 ft Length: 44.4 ft
Speed: 400 mph Range: 1,300+ miles
Ceiling: 65,000 ft Cost: $35 million
Northrup Grumman developed the RQ-4 Global Hawk in response to a Department of Defense requirement for a high-altitude long-endurance remotely piloted aircraft. Aptly named, the Global Hawk could deploy to any point on the globe and then loiter, as a hawk, for as long as 24 hours at up to 65,000 feet while monitoring an area as large as 40,000 square miles.
The first . . . — Map (db m71771) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — T-28A Trojan Dedicated 30 June 1998|
| Span: 41 Feet Speed: 283 MPH Length: 32 Feet Ceiling: 25,200 Feet Cost: $123,000 Engine: 1 Wright R-1300 From 1950 to 1957 North American Aviation manufactured 1,948 Trojans to replace the T-6 trainer, delivering the "A" Model to the Air Force and the "B" and "C" Models to the Navy. A further modification yielded the T-28D Nomad, a tactical fighter-bomber used in Southeast Asia after 1962. Goodfellow's Trojan (S/N 49-1679) entered the USAF inventory as a trainer on 9 January 1951 but . . . — Map (db m12026) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — T-6G Texan Displayed 14 April 2005|
Wingspan: 42' 0" Max. Speed: 205 mph
Length: 29' 6" Service Ceiling: 23,200'
Cost: $27,000 Engine: P&W R-1340 w/600 hp
North American Aviation manufactured more than 15,000 "Texans" before production ceased in the early 1950's. Developed from the NA-16 prototype that first flew in 1935, the AT-6 (redesignated T-6 in 1948) trained hundreds of thousands of pilots for the U.S. and its allies during and after WW II. On Goodfellow, "Texans" served in the primary and basic pilot . . . — Map (db m71788) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), Goodfellow Air Force Base — TB-25N Mitchell Dedicated 11 November 1983|
| Span: 68 Feet Speed: 275 MPH Length: 53 Feet Ceiling: 25,000 Feet Cost: $96,000 Engine: 2 Wright R-2600 Named for air power advocate Gen Billy Mitchell, the North American B-25 medium bomber entered service in 1941. The first aircraft to sink a Japanese submarine , the B-25 recorded another first when 16 Mitchells took off from the carrier Hornet on 18 April 1942 to bomb Tokyo and other Japanese cities. Piloting the 16th Mitchell during the Doolittle Raid was Lt William Farrow, a . . . — Map (db m12033) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 1 East Twohig Avenue|
Exposed cast iron
columns are part
of the original
1906 — Map (db m72004) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Blacksmith San Angelo, Texas|
Village Blacksmith Mural
Made possible by funds raised from the first West Texas Regional Domino Tournament.
Originated, organized and chaired by
Dal De Wees
[Historical nature of mural is understood, however, it's the marker that provides context for how the mural was created] — Map (db m71927) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Chadwick Building|
Donated by M. Koenigheim for San Angelo's first school, this site later became the home of L. Schwartz & Co., a mercantile store. Local Architect Oscar Ruffini designed the structure, which was built by P.A. Williams in 1903. The San Angelo Club, a gentleman's social organization, occupied the second floor for several years. The building also housed Baker-Hemphill & Co., and J.C. Penney Co. The structure was purchased in 1994 by Dale and Joyce Chadwick and became the home of Myers Drug in 2000. — Map (db m72018) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 810 — Charles B. Metcalfe (May 18, 1856 - Dec. 10, 1941) Tom Green County Statesman|
Sponsor of 1918 measure to give Texas women right to vote.
Born in Lawrence County, Tenn. Came to Texas 1872. Helped map town site of Ben Ficklin, first county seat, Tom Green County.
Grew first bale of cotton and installed first (water-powered) cotton gin in county; was one of first ranchers to work for law and order, in fencing rangeland.
County Commissioner 6 years. Served 1915-1919 in Legislature of Texas. There his amendment to 1918 election bill gave vote in primaries to . . . — Map (db m71967) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — City Hall|
Landmark — Map (db m71962) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Construction of the Fort|
Between 1867 and 1879, troops and civilian craftsmen, many being German stonemasons from Fredericksburg, Texas, erected six barracks, ten officers' quarters, several storehouses, six stables/corrals, a headquarters, hospital, schoolhouse/chapel, and other support structures. Limestone, quarried near the town of Ben Ficklin a few miles south of the fort, provided stability even beyond the army's needs. Mortar consisted of a mixture of kiln-produced lime extracted from the stone and local . . . — Map (db m72002) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Crew of "Abbot 27"|
In memory of the Crew of "Abbot 27,"
B-36J No. 52-2818, who perished on
25 May 1955 near Sterling City, Texas.
Crewmembers were assigned to the 40th Bomb
Squadron (Heavy), 6th Bombardment Wing,
Walker AFB, Roswell, New Mexico.
Capt. L.C. Basinger, Jr., Acft Commander
Capt. Harold V. Bowman, Co-Pilot
Capt. Ernest R. Morton, Bombardier
Capt. Arthur Fred, Navigator
Capt. Charles C. Zalonka, 2nd Navigator
Capt. Nelson H. Ensor, Engineer
2Lt. . . . — Map (db m71969) HM WM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — E. H. Danner|
In recognition of forty years devoted to bringing better communications services to our country, the State of Texas and the citizens of San Angelo, including eleven years as president of GTE Southwest, and for his outstanding contributions to improved education, the preservation of our historical heritage and the furthering of international understanding
November 30, 1990 — Map (db m72003) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 3, 4, 5, 6 — Early Public Transportation in San Angelo 1840 - 1930 San Angelo's First Historic Mural|
1840's Wagon Trains Arrive.
The Butterfield Stagecoach
Served San Angelo 1850's.
Santa Fe Depot
Built 1906 Razed 1947
Chadbourn[e] & Fifth Street Corner
"The Iron Horse"
One of First To Serve
1930 Cromwell Airlines, Inc.
First Passenger Plane to
Serve San Angelo
Access our Guide by Cell
On your phone - press
325-201-9037 — Map (db m71868) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 1821 — First Presbyterian Church|
The Presbytery of Central Texas sent the Rev. J. H. Zivley to San Angelo in 1885 to organize a church here. Seven communicants met with Zivley in the Methodist church building and founded the Southern Presbyterian Church of San Angelo. They included Mrs. A. J. Baker, Mrs. E. G.Burt, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Burt, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. P. Cramer, and Mrs. Sally Hancock.
By 1886 the membership had grown to 27, and this land at the corner of Irving and College Streets was purchased for $500. The . . . — Map (db m71961) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 1895 — First United Methodist Church of San Angelo|
A product of 1870s religious zeal on this Indian-menaced frontier. After flood destroyed area's early community of Ben Ficklin (5 mi. s), closing its Sunday school, this church was organized and chartered by the West Texas Methodist Conference in November of 1882. On this site was erected a forty- by sixty-foot frame building with a cupola - said to be the first Protestant church house between Mason and El Paso.
The founding pastor was the rugged frontiersman, Parson Andrew Jackson . . . — Map (db m71937) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Fort Concho|
|The center of a line of forts extending from the northeastern border of Texas to El Paso. Was also northern point of southern chain of forts extending to Rio Grande, thence along that river to its mouth. Established 1867 (at then junction of Butterfield Trail, Goodnight Trail and road to San Antonio) by 4th Cavalry under Capt. George G. Huntt to protect frontier.
By March 1, 1870, fort buildings were (in order of their construction) a commissary and quartermaster storehouse, hospital, five . . . — Map (db m29880) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Fort Concho 1867 - 1889 Military District of the Pecos 1878|
Dept. of Texas Federal Forts
1866 - 1890
Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie
Col. Benjamin Grierson 1875-82
10th U.S. Cavalry [Regimental Crest]
Lone Wolf Victorio Quanah Parker
Cavalry Regiments 3, 4, 8, 9, 10
Infantry Regiments 10, 11, 16,
17, 19, 24, 25, 35, 38, 41
[Rank Insignia & Chevrons]
Sergeant Major Ordnance Sergeant
Saddler Sergeant Trumpeter
Principal Musician First Sergeant
Color Sergeant QM [Quartermaster] Sgt — Map (db m71890) HM WM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Goodfellow Air Force Base Serving The Nation Since 1940 1st. Lt. John J. Goodfellow Jr.|
BT-13 1944-46 AT-6 1944-54
B-25 1945, 54-58
3545th Pilot Training Wing
USAF Security Service School
3480th Technical Training Wing
Goodfellow Technical Training Center
17th Training Wing
Intelligence Training 1958
Joint Service Cryptologic Training
1960s Cryptologic Linguist Training
1990's Hardcopy Imagery Analyst
Intel Training Fire Training
PAVE PAWS Radar Facility at
Eldorado . . . — Map (db m71905) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 2824 — John Yellott Rust (June 4, 1867 - October 7, 1952)|
| President and General Manager, for more than 50 years, of San Angelo Telephone Company (first office near this site).
Born to a prominent family at Leesburg, Virginia, Rust was educated there and in Maryland. He went to work at 16 digging post holes for a telegraph company and at 17 became construction foreman on a telegraph line from New York City to Buffalo. At the age of 19 he moved to Hamilton, Texas, and spent 12 years there as a farmer and rancher. In 1892, joined by two younger . . . — Map (db m71932) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Municipal Swimming Pool|
|In September 1936 a devastating flood swept down the South Concho River, inundating much of the city of San Angelo. Among the many properties lost or severely damaged were the city's parks and its public swimming pool. Plans were made to rebuild the parks and construct a new municipal swimming pool, but a bond election held in 1937 to finance the project was defeated by the voters. Once it was determined that the federal government would assist with Works Progress Administration funds and labor . . . — Map (db m38751) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Myers Drug|
C. Russell Myers came to San Angelo in 1926 as manager of El Cos Drug, located at 26 S. Chadbourne. In 1934, Myers purchased the business and changed the name to Myers Drugs. The store moved to a new location at 22 S. Chadbourne in 1959. In 1976, Dale and Joyce Chadwick purchased Myers Drug, relocated to 29 S. Chadbourne in 2000. In 2006 Myers Drug was purchased by Doug and Melissa Chadwick. In 2008 Mike and Kathy Chadwick became partners in Myers Drug. — Map (db m72019) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — O.C. Fisher Federal Building and United States Courthouse 1911|
Completed in 1911 and expanded in 1932, the O.C. Fisher Federal Building has continuously served the citizens of San Angelo and surrounding communities. This edifice was originally built to house the city's main post office and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Its high-style Italian Renaissance Revival architecture reflects the 1909 design work of the U.S. Treasury Department under architect James Knox Taylor. Today, it bears the name of San Angelo lawyer O.C. . . . — Map (db m71933) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Orient-Santa Fe Freight Depot Santa Fe Crossing Senior Center|
Historic Orient-Santa Fe Freight Depot
San Angelo, Texas
Remember these for their vision and
diligence to preserving our past:
[Names not transcribed] — Map (db m72020) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 15218 — Orient-Santa Fe Passenger Depot|
The Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway Company (KCM&O) built this depot in 1909-10. The KCM&O was one of three connecting railroads promoted by mining and railroad entrepreneur Arthur E. Stilwell. The proposed rail system ran 1,600 miles from Kansas City, Missouri, to Topolabampo, Mexico, the Pacific port nearest the U.S. Midwest. However, the route was never fully completed. San Angelo won a bitter contest over Sweetwater to become a major station on Stilwells international rail . . . — Map (db m71889) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 3875 — Original Tom Green County|
On transcontinental trail of California Gold Rush. Until 1846 a part of Bexar Land District, Republic of Texas. Private tracts were surveyed as early as 1847. German Emigration Company colony (90 mi. SE) had grants here, but in 1840s found Indians blocking settlement. Butterfield Overland Mail managers lived at stands in area, 1858-61. R. F. Tankersley family established a permanent home in 1864 in future Tom Green County. By 1874 there were five settlements here, including Bismarck Farm, a . . . — Map (db m71965) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 4433 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church|
Catholic priests visited the Concho River area in the 17th and 18th centuries, but modern Catholicism began after the founding of Fort Concho in 1867. Father Mathurin J. Pairier (1822?-1888) began visiting here in 1874. He cared for the Catholics of Fort Concho, Ben Ficklin, and Santa Angela. On September 22, 1874, he accepted donation of this land, known as "The Catholic Block," from San Angelo promoter Bart J. DeWitt.
After the county seat moved to San Angelo in 1882, Father Pairier . . . — Map (db m71936) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — San Angelo Army Air Field 1942 - 1945 34th Training Group Bombardier School|
Col. George M. Palmer
First training class 42-17 began Sept. 1942. Cadets came from Preflight schools at Ellington Field (Houston) and Santa Ana, Ca.
During WWII the Santa Fe Orient Depot was the train station where many GI's came to and left the training field.
Ground School - 5,381 men trained as bombardiers in forty one different classes.
The secret Norden Bombsight
The Beech Aircraft Corp. AT-11 Bomb Trainer
Airmen delivering the bombsight to . . . — Map (db m71904) HM WM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — San Angelo National Bank Building|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m71930) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Schwartz & Raas and San Angelo National Bank Building|
|These three Victorian commercial structures were built during the local economic boom of the 1880s. Among the earliest permanent buildings in San Angelo, they represent the early development of the city as the leading commercial center of the area. In 1884 the San Angelo National Bank purchased an existing building in the middle of the block. A new facade was added, under the supervision of contractor J. C. Lillis, which features sandstone from two local quarries and an ornate cornice and . . . — Map (db m38748) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — South Chadbourne 200 Block Early 1900's Extra Extra Read All About It|
This Mural is a street scene from the early 1900's looking north down Chadbourne Street from the Concho Street [sic - Avenue] corner behind you.
The building on the far left was the Ragsdale building which used to sit in this parking lot. M.C. Ragsdale was responsible for most of the earlier photos taken of San Angelo. His photo documents the Trolley and car wreck. This street was made of wooden blocks and had over 30 businesses operating at that time.
The muralist adds her own . . . — Map (db m71929) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — The San Angelo Standard|
In 1884 J. G. Murphy and W. A. Guthrie, co-workers at the "San Angelo Enterprise", bought the weekly newspaper operation and began the "Standard". The first four-page edition was published on May 3 of that year. Early stories included coverage of frontier scalpings and the life of the Fort Concho soldier. The "Standard" became an eight-page newspaper within six months and continued as a weekly until 1905, when the first issue of the "Evening Daily Standard" appeared. The newspaper and its . . . — Map (db m71954) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — The Tenth Cavalry|
|Following the Civil War, the United States Congress authorized the creation of six regiments of black U.S. Army troops. The Tenth Cavalry was organized in 1867 under the leadership of Col. Benjamin Grierson (1826-1911). The order creating black troops also specified that they would be commanded by white officers. Facing problems of racial discrimination at the regiment's headquarters in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, Grierson wanted the Tenth Cavalry reassigned to the West, and they arrived at Fort . . . — Map (db m29881) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Tom Green Confederate General|
Led 5th Texas Cavalry Battle Val Verde
in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign 1861
1862 Commanded "Cotton Clad" carrying
cavalrymen dubbed "Horse Marines" in
recapture Galveston January 1863. Made
Brigadier General while leading
Green's Cavalry Division 1863 campaign
to save Louisiana. Killed 1864 leading
attack at Blair's Landing, Louisiana in
Red River Campaign to prevent the
Federal invasion of Texas. An ardent
Texan, a brave leader, he constantly
sought . . . — Map (db m71964) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Tom Green County Courthouse County of Tom Green Organized 1875 City of San Angelo Incorporated 1903|
To the memory of the heroic
pioneers of West Texas,
this building is dedicated.
Men's homage and their love
shall never cease to follow them.
Tom Green County Courthouse
has been listed in the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Landmark — Map (db m71966) HM|
|Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — Veterans Memorial|
Dedicated in memory of
all veterans who served
honorably in the
Armed Forces of the
United States of America
[Veteran organization emblems] — Map (db m71968) WM|