HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Tulare County Markers
California (Tulare County), California Hot Springs — California Hot Springs
The first people to use the hot springs were the Bokninuwad Yokuts also called "Hoeynche" who called it "Kahtililkau" hot water. In the late 1870's T.J. and N.B. Witt filed claim to Upper Deer Creek "Hoyen Idik" which included the several hots springs. They were then known as the Deer Creek Hot Springs. By 1880 the Witt Family had developed small bathhouses and camping area and charged for their use. They sold the Springs and 300 acres in 1889 after that it sold several more times. During that . . . — Map (db m51871) HM
California (Tulare County), Exeter — San Joaquin Roller MillOne Of the First Four Roller Mills in California
Located just to the north on the People's Ditch, this mill, operating from 1854 to 1913, produced much of the flour used by early settlers of the valley — Map (db m34481) HM
California (Tulare County), Fountain Springs — "El Cojo"
While trapping in the Rocky Mountains in 1827 Thomas L. Smith was shot in the lower left leg by Indians. Escaping he took his knife and cut off the useless part, surviving this, he carved a peg of oak, strapped it on and was thereafter called, "Pegleg Smith." Going to California in 1829 he picked up some heavy stones, later found them to be gold and never found the spot again, this is known as "The Lost Pegleg Gold." he and others found that the horse herds in the Tulare Valley could be had for . . . — Map (db m51870) HM
California (Tulare County), Fountain Springs — 648 — Fountain Springs
One and one-half miles northwest of this point the settlement of Fountain Springs was established before 1855. It was at the junction of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the road to the Kern River gold mines. From 1858 to 1861, Fountain Springs was a station on the Butterfield Overland Mail route. — Map (db m51865) HM
California (Tulare County), Fountain Springs — Old Stage Road
Running north and south, following an older Indian Trail is the route taken by many Spanish expeditions, American trappers, traders and parties of exploration. It was the major inland route of gold seekers to the northern and southern Mines and was the first public road in Tulare County. One of the most noteworthy Spanish expeditions was the Gabriel Moraga Expedition of 1806 exploring the area south from the Mission San Juan Bautista through Tejon Pass to the Mission San Fernando. Moraga named . . . — Map (db m51868) HM
California (Tulare County), Grant Grove Village — Gamlin Cabin
This cabin was built in 1872 by Israel Gamlin, who with his brother Thomas filed a timber claim to 160 acres within Grant Grove. They quartered here until 1878 while grazing cattle in the mountains. After General Grant National Park was established in 1890, the cabin was used as a storehouse by the U.S. Cavalry who patrolled the park until 1913. Later it became the quarters of the first park ranger stationed here. — Map (db m44329) HM
California (Tulare County), Grant Grove Village — The Centennial StumpDiameter – 24 ft.
This tree was cut in 1875, and a 16 ft. section sent to the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition of 1876. Only the outer shell was exhibited, the parts being reassembled after shipment. Eastern people refused to accept the exhibit as part of a single tree and called it the “California Hoax.” It took 2 men 9 days to chop down the tree. Its upper trunk is the scarred log down slope from the Grant Tree. Ladies from a nearby logging camp used to conduct Sunday school services for their children upon the stump. — Map (db m44327) HM
California (Tulare County), Lodgepole Village — For the Good of the Giants
Try to imagine yourself standing here in the 1950’s. You would have been surrounded by cars. Engine noise and exhaust would have overridden your impressions of the giant trees. Almost 100 cabins and motel units would have faced you from across the road. Development in the Giant Forest began long ago. As early as the 1890’s people began building here. Campgrounds, hotels, shops, a post office, park headquarters, parking lots, a gas station, and a sewage treatment plant all stood on the roots . . . — Map (db m44311) HM
California (Tulare County), Lodgepole Village — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 Jan: 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come to an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m52661) HM
California (Tulare County), Lodgepole Village, Sequoia National Park — Cattle Cabin
This cabin was built by cattlemen who had acquired much of the Giant Forest land for grazing purposes prior to the establishment of Sequoia National Park in 1890. After the park’s establishment, the land was leased to men who supplied meat and milk to visitors and to the soldiers who guarded the park from 1891 through 1913. Circle Meadow, adjacent to the cabin, was the site of the slaughtering corral. By 1917 the last private holdings in Giant Forest had been purchased and deeded back to the government. — Map (db m44338) HM
California (Tulare County), Lodgepole Village, Sequoia National Park — Middle Fork Canyon
An earlier road to Giant Forest, completed in 1903, quickly proved inadequate for increasing motor car use. Completion of a new road providing wider turns and less grade became a high priority, so a road survey of the Middle Fork Canyon was ordered in 1918. Following a zone of softer metamorphic rock, the road construction was still an arduous task. In 1926, visitors were able to travel the new highway from Ash Mountain to Giant Forest. Despite its open appearance, the Middle Fork Canyon . . . — Map (db m44346) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — 388 — Tule River Indian Reservation
A reservation was originally established in 1857. Indians from a widespread area were brought here. The natives of this vicinity were the Kuyeti Tribe toward the west and the Yaudanchi Tribe toward the east. Both were branches of the Yokuts Indians that occupied the San Joaquin Valley. This location, not proving satisfactory, Tule River Indian Reservation was moved to its present location ten miles south-east in 1873. — Map (db m13237) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — 473 — Tule River Stage Station
Here Peter Goodhue operated am emigrant trail stopping place on the banks of the Tule River from 1854 to until the river changed its course in 1862. This became a Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Station, 1858-61. It was kept in 1860 by R. Porter Putnam who in 1864 founded Porterville, named for him. — Map (db m10461) HM
California (Tulare County), Springville — Battle Mountain
A long period of unrest between the settlers and Indians of Tulare County erupted in war during the Spring of 1856. Untrue reports that five hundred head of cattle had been stolen in Frazier Valley and the burning of the Orson K. Smith sawmill aroused the local settlers. A group of volunteers under the command of Foster DeMasters located a party of over seven hundred Indians in fortified positions on the cone shaped mountain in the valley below. Unable to breach the Indian defenses on their . . . — Map (db m34474) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks
United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organization MAB Program on Man and the Biosphere By decision of the Bureau of the International Coordinating Council of the Program on Man and the Biosphere, duly authorized to that effect by the council Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks is recognized as part of the International Network of Biosphere Reserves. This network of protected samples of the world’s major ecosystem types is devoted to conservation of nature and . . . — Map (db m2978) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — Butterfield Overland Mail
At this place, near midnight Oct. 8, 1958, Vislians greeted with an anvil salute, the first coach of the pioneer line to arrive from St. Louis. The Visalians' hearty welcome caused the only "through" passenger to remark "They ought to be remembered in the history of the town, so I hereby immortalize them” — Map (db m34511) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — Tulare County Election Tree
Under a nearby tree a party commanded by Major James D. Savage, on July 10, 1852, conducted an election by which Tulare County was organized. Woodsville, Site of Wood's Cabin, the first small town settled by white men in Tulare County, and first county seat, was located about one-half mile sough of this marker. This general area, the delta of the Kaweah River, was also known as the "Four Creek Country." — Map (db m51573) HM
17 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 128 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.