As the border states began to fall, Alabama iron became critical to the survival of the Confederacy. During the last two years of the war, Alabama’s furnaces were producing 70% of the entire southern iron supply.
That output invited federal . . . — Map (db m36672) HM
This tablet dedicated to the men of Companies D and I which, along with other detachments, attacked the Tannehill Ironworks March 31, 1865 under the command of Capt. William A. Sutherland, First Brigade, First Division (McCook’s), United States . . . — Map (db m36925) HM
2 ½ miles East - the beginning of Steel Industry in this area. Iron Ore, reduced by charcoal, hauled by oxcart, was made into plows, pots, cannon and munitions.
State Park- Camping, Nature Trails, Swimming and Fishing Early American . . . — Map (db m36927) HM
Tannehill Furnaces began as a
small forge in 1830. During the
War Between the States (1861-1865)
these furnaces were a major
supplier of iron and munitions
for the Confederacy. When
partially destroyed by Union
troops on March 31, . . . — Map (db m36926) HM
This important battery of charcoal blast furnaces ranked among the most productive in Alabama during the Civil War. The only three-furnace ironworks in the state during the war years, it was capable of producing 22 tons of pig iron a day for the . . . — Map (db m36209) HM
(Front):Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge3 April 1865 - Brig Gen John T. Croxton’s Cavalry Brigade departed camp at Johnson’s Ferry (Old Lock 17 area) to the Watermelon Road ending in Northport. As the Union troops entered Northport, the . . . — Map (db m35679) HM
James Shirley built this raised cottage in 1838, using Federal and Greek Revival detailing. Constructed of local handmade brick, it was home for him, his wife, Mary Ann Christian Shirley, and his mother, Elizabeth Shirley. James was town surveyor in . . . — Map (db m35384) HM
The Trail of Tears led thousands of Creek Indians through Tuscaloosa, capital of Alabama in 1836. Chief Eufaula addressed the legislature with these words:
"I come here, brothers, to see the great house of Alabama and the men who make laws and . . . — Map (db m28995) HM
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes.
In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Early on the morning of 4 April 1865, Union Gen John T. Croxton's Cavalry Brigade of 1500 veteran troopers entered the town after fighting the home guard and capturing the covered bridge connecting Northport and Tuscaloosa across the Warrior River. . . . — Map (db m25383) HM
Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty . . . — Map (db m28783) HM
Daughter of John Gayle, Governor of Alabama.
Wife of Josiah Gorgas, Brigadier General, C. S. A.
Mother of William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General, U. S. A.
Untiring nurse in Confederate Hospitals, 1861-1865.
First Historian Alabama Division, . . . — Map (db m33653) HM
He inherited the financial woes brought on by the collapse of the "Flush Times". Despite chaotic banking conditions during the Panic of 1837, chancery courts and a penitentiary system were both created, and Alabama settled its boundary dispute with . . . — Map (db m29030) HM
Named for Braxton Bragg Comer (1848-1927), Governor of Alabama (1907-1911).
As a member of the University's Corp of Cadets in 1865, Comer witnessed the burning of the campus by Federal troops. Later, as Governor, he strongly supported education . . . — Map (db m29121) HM
He oversaw the closing of the unstable State Bank. In 1845 the legislature amended the constitution to allow the removal of the capital from Tuscaloosa. The growing wealth and population of the Black Belt brought the seat of government to Montgomery. — Map (db m29033) HM
Oldest existing Black Presbyterian Church in Alabama. Organized by Dr. Charles A. Stillman as Salem Church in December, 1880. First church building erected 9th Street and 30th Avenue in 1882. First pastors were Reverend B. M. Wilkinson (1889-90) and . . . — Map (db m40390) HM
One of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility, this cemetery was established in 1922 and was closed for burials in 1953. It contains approximately 1550 burials mostly marked with . . . — Map (db m40449) HM
The remains of Burns' Shoals now lie nearly 40 feet underwater. This rock outcropping was the first of the shoals known as the "Falls of Tuscaloosa" and represents the "Fall Line" or contact point of the Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Plateau, . . . — Map (db m28904) HM
Born in South Carolina in 1813, Benjamin Farrar Eddins raised and led a company of volunteers that served in the 41st Alabama Infantry Regiment.
Retired due to ill health, he returned to lead the Home Guards, a militia made up of old men and . . . — Map (db m28908) HM
In 1883 the Castle Hill Real Estate and Manufacturing Company began the first eastern expansion of the original 1821 Tuscaloosa city limits. Hoping to stimulate development in the area, the company created a popular amusement park centered around . . . — Map (db m35467) HM
The Chabannes - Sealy House was built in 1847 by Hollis C. Kidder. The house passed through several owners until it was sold in 1920 to Julia Nuzon Morris. Her daughter, Julia Morris, married Norbert Chabannes. That family lived here until the house . . . — Map (db m35323) HM
The second oldest Episcopal Church in Alabama. Construction begun 1829, completed 1830 at cost of $1700. Enlarged and remodeled in 1880 from original Greek Revival design to present Gothic lines. First pews sold to highest bidder; made free in 1849. . . . — Map (db m40419) HM
marker Front: Psi Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity first Greek letter fraternity at The University of Alabama. Organized by Louis J. DuPre, chapter installed June 20, 1847. First members initiated at Indian Queen Hotel by Charles . . . — Map (db m30676) HM
This bell tower, an enduring symbol of Alabama's first university, was erected in honor of President George H. Denny, under whose leadership (1911 to 1936) The University of Alabama gained national prominence. Conceived by . . . — Map (db m29610) HM
Constructed in 1923 through gift of J. T. Horne, this building occupied by Druid City Hospital School of Nursing from 1923 to 1947. Used by University of Alabama from 1951 to 1954 to house first state supported collegiate school of nursing in . . . — Map (db m29608) HM
Organized November 1866, with 144 members. The Rev. Prince Murrell, first pastor, served until 1885. A church building located at corner of 4th Street and 24th Avenue was purchased and became place of worship during pastorate of the Rev. James . . . — Map (db m40408) HM
Organized 1818, oldest church in Tuscaloosa County. First building was of logs. A brick structure completed 1830 and larger one at this site 1884. Educational building erected 1924 and present sanctuary 1958. Sunday School organized here 1830. . . . — Map (db m35343) HM
Gulf States Paper Corporation (3/4 mile Northeast) began production in April 1929 to introduce the modern pulp and paper industry to Alabama. Based on the state's fast-growing forests, paper became a major Alabama industry.
The Tuskaloosa . . . — Map (db m40448) HM
Moved to this site 1830.
Present structure erected 1921.
Under the leadership of Dr. Charles A. Stillman, (Minister, 1869-1895) it sponsored the founding of Stillman College in 1876. Its bell was the subject of a poem by . . . — Map (db m35364) HM
This 1916 gun was used by the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I as part of a horse drawn caisson. During the war, American forces were loaned guns, planes, and other equipment from the French arsenal.
This gun was moved to Veterans . . . — Map (db m35506) HM
During his term our state moved from frontier to urbanity. The University of Alabama was officially opened. Construction was begun on our first canals and railroads, supplementing existing steamboats and unpaved roads. The Choctaws exchanged their . . . — Map (db m29023) HM
Built 1829 as University dining hall.
Remodeled as a residence 1840.
Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953
Preserved as a memorial to:
General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883)
Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m29301) HM
Laid out in the original city plan, Greenwood is Tuscaloosa’ oldest surviving cemetery. It has been in continuous use since prior to 1820. The earliest marked grave is dated 1821.
Some of the ornate marble markers located in Greenwood were . . . — Map (db m40392) HM
5 inch / 25 caliber
“Dual Purpose” secondary artillery gun
The U.S.S. Tuscaloosa was equipped with eight such guns, located in single turrets, four on either side of the ship. Developed in the 1920’s, its purpose was for both . . . — Map (db m35507) HM
Tuscaloosa’s oldest house, The McGuire-Strickland, was built on this site ca. 1820; first occupant, Moses McGuire, Tuscaloosa County’s first Probate Judge, State Representative 1845; sold to Dr. Rueben Searcy 1849; to the Presbyterian Church 1851 as . . . — Map (db m35375) HM
Born a slave in South Carolina in 1807, Horace King became a master bridge builder while working with John Godwin. With the aid of Tuscaloosan Robert Jemison, King was freed by act of the Alabama legislature in 1846. He went on to build many bridges . . . — Map (db m28913) HM
He extended state laws into Indian lands and actively encouraged illegal white settlement there. A treaty with the Creek Indians in 1832 forced them to leave the state and resulted in nine new counties in east Alabama. Their "Trail of Tears" took . . . — Map (db m29028) HM
He initiated construction of the Capitol, the University of Alabama, and the State Bank. The legislature passed laws, known as slave codes, to severely restrict the rights of slaves, while citizens began to press for the removal of Alabama's . . . — Map (db m29020) HM
He presided over the transfer of the capital from Tuscaloosa to Montgomery in 1847. When the United States invaded Mexico Alabamians readily joined to fight, just as they would in 1861. — Map (db m29034) HM
Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta first national Greek letter sorority at the University of Alabama Chapter installed March 12, 1904. First members initiated in the Sigma Nu Hall by Katherine Lovejoy of Theta Chapter at Randolph-Macon Woman's College. . . . — Map (db m28782) HM
Initially Manufactured by Chrysler Corporation
Maximum Speed: 30mph
Weight: 57 tons
Maximum range: 260 miles
Armament: Main 105mm gun, Secondary 50 caliber machine gun, M240 coaxial machine gun.
The first M60 tanks were . . . — Map (db m35512) HM
The Autherine Lucy Clock Tower is dedicated to the sacrifice and commitment of a courageous individual who took a stand for change at a crucial time in the history of The University of Alabama. The open arches, which mirror the architecture of . . . — Map (db m37918) HM
Margaret McLeod DuPont was born and raised in Tuscaloosa and graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in Home Economics Education. She worked as a secretary for the Vice President of Reichhold Chemical and as a Stenographer for Mayor . . . — Map (db m35380) HM
Part of Marr’s Field, on farmland owned by William Marr, this spring was a major factor in the selection of this site for the University of Alabama campus in 1827. From its opening in 1831 well into the 20th century, the institution relied upon . . . — Map (db m40388) HM
To identify their work masons often carved special marks into the bottom, sides, or back of the stones. Their supervisors were thus able to distinguish between the quality and quantity of each mason's work. Blocks for the building were quarried from . . . — Map (db m29116) HM
Here, on the highest point of the original campus, stands the first celestial observatory at The University of Alabama and one of the oldest observatory buildings in the United States. Through the efforts of Professor F. A. P. Barnard, the first . . . — Map (db m34842) HM
Named for John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907).
As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865.
A member of the Alabama Secession . . . — Map (db m29223) HM
Navigation improvements to the Black Warrior River (1888-1895) spurred marine commerce throughout the 20th century. Local ship-builders included the Perkins Brothers, Herman & Son, Corp of Engineers Boatyard, and Baker Towboat. Vessel types included . . . — Map (db m28924) HM
This is the oldest of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility. The first recorded burial dates to 1861. While only a few graves are currently marked, it is estimated that thousands of . . . — Map (db m40450) HM
Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851.
On August 26, 2000, . . . — Map (db m29402) HM
These gates are replicas of the gates for Northington General Hospital, a U.S. Army Hospital that operated on this site during World War II. From 1947 to 1952, Northington General Hospital was the temporary home of DCH Regional Medical Center while . . . — Map (db m35517) HM
The Rotunda Plaza is dedicated to
John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey
(Classes of 1950 and 1951, respectively)
In recognition of the establishment in 1992 of the John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey Library Endowment Fund, ensuring continued . . . — Map (db m30678) HM
In Memoriam Perpetuam Captain Bascom T. Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry
In the hour of their country’s peril Unmindful of self and fired only by patriotic devotion
Bascom T. Shockly and nineteen students of the
University of Alabama . . . — Map (db m33595) HM
Founded in Tuscaloosa on the campus of the University of Alabama on March 9, 1856. Its chapter designation, Alabama Mu, identifies it as the mother chapter of the national collegiate fraternity.
Noble Leslie DeVotie •
Nathan . . . — Map (db m29607) HM
Franklin Hall, an early University dormitory designed by Capt. William Nichols, was erected on this site in 1835. Was one of the buildings destroyed by the Union raid on April 4, 1865. After Civil War the remains of structure were shaped into . . . — Map (db m30677) HM
Built on this site in 1936, Queen City Park Softball Field served as the cornerstone for the first successful community effort to promote the organized play of amateur softball in Tuscaloosa County. Its construction followed nationwide efforts to . . . — Map (db m28788) HM
Foster Auditorium is the site of the June 11, 1963, “stand in the schoolhouse door” by Governor George C. Wallace in defiance of a court order requiring The University of Alabama to admit African-American students Vivian Malone and James . . . — Map (db m37917) HM
Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years.
Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been . . . — Map (db m29403) HM
The first meeting of Catholics in Tuscaloosa was held in 1819. The first parochial school was opened in 1863. St. Paul’s Church, Birmingham, dedicated 1872, and churches in Selma, Blocton and Reform began as missions of this church; also originating . . . — Map (db m40413) HM
Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute 1876 by Presbyterian Church U.S. under leadership of Dr. Charles Allen Stillman, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Tuscaloosa, to train Black ministers. Renamed Stillman Institute 1894 for Dr. Stillman, first . . . — Map (db m35676) HM
Capt. Charles P Storrs Cadet Troop. Company F, 7th Alabama Cavalry C.S.A. organized in June 1863 under the leadership of Cadet Capt. Storrs; made up of cadets from the University of Alabama and of patriotic young men from Montgomery and vicinity; . . . — Map (db m33636) HM
The Capitol in Tuscaloosa was designed by English-born architect, William Nichols, who served as State Architect from 1826 - 1832. Nichols also designed and built the campus of The University of Alabama.
Before coming to Alabama he had . . . — Map (db m29117) HM
Plied for thousands of years by Indians, then by early explorers and American settlers, this river extends 169 miles from the Sipsey and Mulberry Forks near Birmingham to its confluence with the Tombigbee at Demopolis. It drains 6228 square miles of . . . — Map (db m28901) HM
Built 1835 by Alfred Battle; purchased 1875 by Bernard Friedman; willed to the city of Tuscaloosa 1965 by Hugo Friedman.
Traditionally a social and cultural center in Tuscaloosa, it was the residence of Virginia Tunstall Clay-Clopton, author of . . . — Map (db m35368) HM
The Gorgas House (1829)
First structure built on the original campus
The Round House (1860)
Used by cadets on guard duty, and another of the four buildings to survive the fires set by Federal troops in 1865.
Woods Hall . . . — Map (db m29396) HM
Built by Robert Jemison Jr. Completed 1862, the 26 room Italian Villa style mansion is distinguished by its octagonal cupola and delicate carved fretwork. Jemison, a member of Alabama Legislature for 20 years (1840-63), 1861 Secession Convention (he . . . — Map (db m35321) HM
Constructed as a guard house for the Alabama Corps of Cadets during the early 1860's, the Little Round House provided shelter from inclement weather for cadets on sentry duty. Until 1865, it also housed the University Drum Corps, which was composed . . . — Map (db m25387) HM
This wooden and steel truss bridge was constructed for the Mobile and Ohio Railroad in 1898 by civil engineer Benjamin Hardaway, an 1887 graduate of The University of Alabama and former Tuscaloosa City Engineer. Originally 135-feet high with a . . . — Map (db m28992) HM
In 1838 The University of Alabama Board of Trustees appropriated funds for a more suitable residence for the University's new president Basil Manly. The mansion on this site was built between 1839 and 1841 from plans provided by Michael Barry who . . . — Map (db m25414) HM
Founded in 1872 as the first law school in Alabama. Henderson M. Somerville was the first professor and later an Alabama Supreme Court Justice. The first dean was William L. Thorington (1897-1908). The school occupied, in turn, parts of Woods, . . . — Map (db m35471) HM
From 1887-1915, seventeen locks and dams were constructed on the Warrior - Tombigbee Rivers. The first 3 were built on the fall line in Tuscaloosa. This was the site of No. 3, later No. 12.
The Warrior - Tombigbee Development Association, founded . . . — Map (db m28786) HM
Erected: 1888 Reconstructed: 2002
Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey.
Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began . . . — Map (db m29400) HM
Constructed in 1909 as US Post Office. First occupied April 1910, with Mrs. Maggie Miller as Postmistress. Federal courtroom, now City Council Chamber, with magnificent design and detail, on second floor, 1910-1968. Thomas A. Jones first Federal . . . — Map (db m35376) HM
Provided by local veterans and other dedicated citizens, this memorial pays tribute to all veterans of Tuscaloosa County who were engaged in the nine major American wars, 1776-1976. Rising centrally is the mainmast of World War II heavy cruiser USS . . . — Map (db m35475) HM
Organized 1818 by Ebenezer Hearn. First building on this site erected in 1834 included a church bell moulded in Boston by coppersmiths Paul Revere and Sons. Present structure with marble Ionic columns was constructed 1922; Education Annex in 1953; . . . — Map (db m35344) HM
This stone commemorates the City of Tuscaloosa as the second state capital, January 1826 to January 1846.
Erected by the Alabama Centennial Commission and the Citizens of Tuscaloosa, and dedicated December 14, 1919. On the occasion of the one . . . — Map (db m28996) HM
Built 1834 by James Dearing. Purchased by Arthur P. Bagby who occupied the house 1837-41 while Governor of Alabama and since known as the Governor's Mansion. Presented to the University of Alabama 1944 by Herbert David Warner and Mildred Westervelt . . . — Map (db m29120) HM
Endowed by Congress 1819
Ordained by State constitution 1819
And established by General Assembly 1820
Instruction Begun 1831
Unofficial Training School Confederate Officers 1861-65
Destroyed by Federal Army April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun . . . — Map (db m29612) HM
The University of Alabama gave to the Confederacy - 7 General Officers, 25 Colonels, 14 Lieutenant - Colonels, 21 Majors, 125 Captains, 273 Staff and other commissioned officers, 66 Non-Commissioned Officers and 294 Private Soldiers. Recognizing . . . — Map (db m33654) HM
Buried near this plaque are Jack Rudolph and William “Boysey” Brown, two slaves owned by University of Alabama faculty, and William J. Crawford, a University student who died in 1844.
Rudolph was born in Africa about 1791 and died . . . — Map (db m40389) HM
In 1940, the U.S. Army put out a call to automobile manufacturers to produce a fast, lightweight, all terrain vehicle. The answer came in the form of the Willys MB. The Jeep was instrumental in World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam.
This . . . — Map (db m35515) HM
Named for Alva Woods (1794-1887), First President of the University of Alabama, 1831-1837.
Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in . . . — Map (db m29221) HM