HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Union County Markers
New Jersey (Union County), Berkeley Heights — A Time To Pause And RememberMemorial Park - Berkely Heights
[Left Marker:] Korean War To those members of the Armed Forces of the United States who served in the Korean War 1950 - 1955 "God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." Daniel Webster Dedicated by the people of the Township of Berkeley Heights May 26, 1986 [Left Center Marker:] World War I In honor of the men who served in the Army or Navy of the United States of America In the . . . — Map (db m20155) WM
New Jersey (Union County), Berkely Heights — Peppertown Park
Honoring the early farming community of Berkely Heights, known as Peppertown, and famous for its pepper crops. This park was the site of the Petrone family farm. — Map (db m20156) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Clark — Homestead Farm at Oak Ridge
Homestead Farm at Oak Ridge Circa 1730 Township of Clark New Jersey Historic Landmark ( Lower Marker : ) Homestead Farm at Oak Ridge Circa 1730 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m63457) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Cranford — Crane Farm and Village Home Site
This marks the farm and village home of Josiah Crane, Sr. 1791–1873 At the site of Crane's Mills on the Rahway River. Named for him as Craneville, it became the center of Cranford Township. Incorporated March 14, 1871 — Map (db m32992) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Cranford — Crane’s Mills
During the bitter winter of 1779 – 1780 troops of General Washington’s Army were cantoned at Crane’s Mills here, General William Irvine established headquarters of the Forward Defense Line January 1, 1780 Placed by Crane’s Ford Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1977 — Map (db m54923) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Boxwood Hall1750
Samuel Woodruff, Elizabethtown mayor, built Boxwood Hall about 1750. From 1772 to 1795 it was the home of Elias Boudinot (1740-1821), who served his as president of the Continental Congress after the colonies signed a peace treaty with England, ending the Revolutionary War. In 1789 George Washington took lunch here on his way to Manhattan to be sworn in as the United States’ first president. Jonathan Dayton (1760-1824), a signer of the Constitution and later U.S. Senator from New Jersey lived here from 1795 to 1824. — Map (db m40744) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Colonial Church
Church of 1724 burned by British. Present structure, 1786. Reverend James Caldwell Pastor here, 1761-76; famed later as “Fighting Chaplin.” — Map (db m6932) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Elizabeth Presbyterian Church
This church was organized about 1664. The edifice which stood on this spot was burned by the British, January 25, 1780, during the Pastorate of Rev. James Caldwell, Chaplain in the New Jersey Brigade under Washington. This building was completed in 1789. Thirty-six commissioned officers and many non-commissioned officers and privates from the congregation fought during the Revolution for American Independence. — Map (db m40717) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Elizabethtown
On this spot, at daybreak, June 7, 1780 began the fighting against the British forces moving toward Springfield. Here fell General Stirling at the head of the advancing column. On June 8, after the British retreat from Springfield, General Hand here attacked and drove back the 22nd Regt. to the British main position at the point. Skirmishing on this ground continued until the British retreat to Staten Island, June 23rd. Erected by the State of New Jersey, A.D. 1905 — Map (db m6911) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — First Site of Princeton University
This tablet marks the first site of Princeton University incorporated Oct 22nd 1746 --------------- Erected by the Elizabeth Members of the New Jersey Society of Colonial Dames of America – Oct 22nd 1897 — Map (db m40708) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — General Winfield Scott
1786 – 1866 Hero of the Mexican War — Map (db m6957) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Old Academy
Site of the Old Academy Attended by Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr Col. Francis Barber was Principal at the outbreak of the Revolution. — Map (db m40608) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Old Borough Court House
Site of Old Borough Court House Built Prior to the Revolution. Burned by the British 1780. — Map (db m40609) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Patriotic Dead
Honoring the patriotic dead of many wars laid to rest in this hallowed ground especially a noble woman Hanah White Arnett Placed here on the 45th anniversary of the organization of Boudinot Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution September 27th, 1938 — Map (db m40714) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Property of John Ogden   1680
Home of Royal Governor Jonathan Belcher 1751 – 1757 Wedding of Catherine Peartree Smith to Elisha Boudinot held here 1778. Attended by Lafayette and Alexander Hamilton. Home of Governor Aaron Ogden, descendant of original settler 1812. — Map (db m40726) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Revolutionary Cannon
This gun, cast in Strasburg in 1758, was sent by Louis XV, King of France, to Canada for the defense of Quebec. Upon the surrender of that place in the following year, the gun fell into the hands of the British. In April, 1760, the French recaptured the gun, and in May the British re-took it. In the fall of 1775 this gun aided in the repulse of the Continental force under General Richard Montgomery, who was mortally wounded while attempting to capture it. In June, 1779, Sir Henry Clinton . . . — Map (db m6927) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Seven Astronauts
This monument dedicated to “Seven Astronauts” who died national heroes as members of the crew of the “Challenger” January 28, 1986 ------------------------------ Erected in their memory by the students of Elizabeth October 22, 1986 Francis R. Scobee     Commander NASA Astronaut Michael J. Smith     Lt. Comdr.   USN NASA Astronaut Ellison S. Onizuka     Lt. Col.   USAF NASA Astronaut Ronald E. McNair     Ph. D. NASA Astronaut Judith A. Resnik     Ph. D. NASA . . . — Map (db m40752) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — The Belcher-Ogden Mansion1750
The Belcher Ogden Mansion was the 1750s residence of Governor Jonathan Belcher (1682-1757) of New Jersey, who brought the royal colony’s government to this house. Belcher also sponsored the College of New Jersey which became Princeton University and gave his library of over 400 books to that institution. Subsequent owners entertained George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and the Marquis de Lafayette here. In 1812 the resident owner, Aaron Ogden (1756-1839), was elected New Jersey Governor. — Map (db m40747) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — The Nathaniel Bonnell House 1682
(Under top photo:) The 17th Century Bonnell House is on the National Registry of Historic Houses and has recently been restored by the Historical Society, Elizabeth, NJ Inc. which has its offices within. (Main text:) The Bonnell House is the oldest house in Elizabeth, NJ and one of the oldest residences in the state. It was on this site in 1682 and was likely built years before then. The house represents the carpentry skills of Nathaniel Bonnell, a Hugenot originally from New Haven . . . — Map (db m70209) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — Washington’s Inaugural Bicentennial1789 - 1989
Elizabeth celebrates Washington’s Inaugural Bicentennial George Washington journeyed to “Elizabethtown” - met with a committee of Continental Congress in Boxwood Hall - Sailed from Elizabethport - April 23, 1789 (Back of Marker) "Elizabeth celebrates Washington's inaugural Bicentennial." Recipient of the international public relations association's "Golden World Awards of Excellence" — Map (db m7459) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Kenilworth — Kenilworth 9/11 Memorial
. . . — Map (db m53315) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Kenilworth — Kenilworth Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of the community of Kenilworth who devotedly served their country. — Map (db m53313) HM
New Jersey (Union County), New Providence — New Providence 9-11 MemorialWe Will Remember
To the People of New Providence from the People of Flower Mound Texas, we offer this memorial as our solemn pledge to remember you. Because of September 11, 2001, we unite in brotherhood to share your grief, offer strength in community and embrace hope for America's future. — Map (db m20158) WM
New Jersey (Union County), New Providence — New Providence United Methodist Cemetery & Memorial GardenEstablished 1786
In Remembrance of the Soldiers of the War for American Independence who are buried in these grounds. ————— Erected by the Passaic Valley Chapter of the New Jersey Society Sons of the American Revolution. ————— April 19, 1929 — Map (db m20157) HM
New Jersey (Union County), New Providence — New Providence Veterans Memorial ParkA Memorial Tribute
A Memorial Tribute Dedicated to Those man and women of New Providence, N.J. who lost their lives while serving in the armed forces of our country. Memorial Day May 30, 1994 (Korea): A Memorial Tribute Dedicated to those men and women of New Providence, New Jersey, who served in the armed forces of our country in Korea Freedom Is Not Free Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, Beacon Hill Post 190 (Vietnam): A Memorial Tribute Dedicated to . . . — Map (db m21976) WM
New Jersey (Union County), New Providence — The Country’s Roll of Honor
Their names are imperishably inscribed upon the country’s Roll of Honor. --------------- Within this sacred ground rest the remains of a number of soldiers, of whom there is a record of forty-eight, all enrolled in Washington’s Army during the Revolutionary War, whose achievements are the priceless heritage of the American people. Erected by the New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution, on the 153rd anniversary of the engagements at Lexington and Concord. April 19, 1928. — Map (db m8864) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Plainfield — Drake House
Built by Nathaniel Drake, 1746. Washington visited here in 1777, while his army camped nearby at Bound Brook. — Map (db m63453) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Plainfield — Drake House Flag Pole
Flag pole presented to Historical Society of Plainfield and North Plainfield by Fraternal Order of Eagles Plainfield Aerie No 866 Flags presented by Jr. Order United American Mechanics Franklin Council No 41 Somerset Council No 104 Plainfield Benevolent Council No 256 July 4, 1921 — Map (db m63468) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Plainfield — Site of the Blue Hills Fort and Camp
This marker is erected in memory of the brave Revolutionary soldiers from this vicinity who garrisoned this fort harassing and repulsing the invading enemy for seven months during the darkest period of the war. From this outpost General Washington on June 26, 1777, finally turned back the whole British Army compelling them to evacuate the state. Erected by Continental Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1924 — Map (db m7768) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Abraham Clark
Grave site of Abraham Clark, Colonial Legislator, signer of Declaration of Independence, and long a member of Congress. — Map (db m7787) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Capt. Thomas Clark
Son of Abraham, signer Captain of Artillery in the Continental Army Fought at the Battle of Princeton Served in the Revolutionary War from 1776 to 1781 Died May 13, 1789, in his 37th year. The children of his son Jonathan and of his grandson William Squire Clark commemorate his heroic life. — Map (db m7788) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — George Washington Tulip Poplar
A direct descendant of the Tulip Poplar planted in 1785 by our first President, George Washington, on the grounds of Mount Vernon, his home on the Potomac. More than two centuries later, the original Tulip Poplar continues to stand. Through the work of the National Arboretum, Rahway's Tulip Poplar is one of 1,000 descendants produced and sold through American Forests' Famous and Historic Trees Program. — Map (db m6997) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Horsehead Copper
This “Horsehead Copper” was the first coin in the Nation to bear the motto “E Pluribus Unum” . It was minted in this site in 1786. — Map (db m7784) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Merchants and Drovers Tavern1780
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m7807) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Rahway
Here, on April 23, 1789, on his way to New York City, Washington was received by troops from Elizabethtown and Newark. He was entertained at the Inn kept by Samuel Smith by gentlemen of the Town. — Map (db m7785) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Spanktown
January, 1777, a sharp fight took place here between the British and Gen. Maxwell’s men. June 26-27, 1777, the British, retreating in a running fight from Westfield, were pursued here on their route to Amboy and Staten Island. — Map (db m7783) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Rahway — Terrill TavernCirca 1735
Restored by Rahway Historical Society Presented by National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century Lady Elizabeth Carteret Chapter 1989 — Map (db m7808) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Roselle — In Remembrance of Abraham Clark
In remembrance of Abraham Clark 1726 – 1794 A signer of the Declaration of Independence from New Jersey He lived on this site during the formative period of the republic. __________ Erected by the New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution September 15, 1919 In grateful recognition of his statesmanship and patriotism, on the 125th Anniversary of his passing into the larger life. — Map (db m7782) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Roselle Park — Here the British Turned
Here the British turned into Galloping Hill Road from Elizabethtown to Connecticut Farms and Springfield at the time of the battles June 7 and 23, 1780. Washington afterwards said of the New Jersey militia “They flew to arms universally, and acted with a spirit equal to anything I have seen during the war” A son of Gen. William Crane is said to have been bayoneted to death by British soldiers near this spot. Erected June 10, 1913 by Boudinot Chapter, D.A.R. of Elizabeth, N.J. — Map (db m7781) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — “Dolbier House”Circa 1736
Home of Jessie Dolbier, wheelwright and blacksmith to the revolution. — Map (db m63455) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — “Littell Half Way House”Circa 1750
Bought about 1785 by Capt. Gershom Littell for bride Phobe Terry, uniting two very early settlers families. Built about 1750. — Map (db m63454) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — “Osborn House”Circa 1770
Built in 1770. Home of Mary Darby and Revolutionary patriot John B. Osborn who “Bearded the British lion under Washington.” — Map (db m63456) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Baptist ParsonageCirca 1786
First Parsonage in Essex Co. gift of William Darby – Residence of Rev. James Manning, founder of Brown University and mother organization to Churches in Lyons Farms, Samptown & Mays Lick, Ky. & New York City. — Map (db m7810) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Battle of The Short HillsJune 26, 1777
On the 26th of June in 1777 Washington’s continental forces of under 6,000 men fought a running battle on the plains below the Watchung Mountains with the combined British and Hessian troops numbering about 12,000. Early on that hot Thursday morning the British under the command of General William Howe, after feigning a departure from New Jersey, suddenly at midnight began to march upon the “rebel” army that had left their mountain camp to come to the low country at Samptown (South . . . — Map (db m21858) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Caesar
Here rest the remains of Caesar, an African, who died February 7th, 1806 aged 104 years. He was more than half a century, a worthy member of the Church in this place; and closed his life in the confidence of a Christian. His numerous friends have erected this stone as a tribute of respect to his eminent virtues and piety. When the last trump shall bid the dead “Arise When flames shall roll away the earth & skies, While atheists, kings, and infidels turn pale, And every hope, but Christ, . . . — Map (db m63467) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Cannon Ball HouseCirca 1750
Osborn House – Home of Rev. Soldiers and later home of Hollingsworth and Darby Fur Mill associated with Cannon Ball from battle of the Short Hills, June 27, 1777. — Map (db m7809) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Frazee Homestead
Circa 1750 “Frazee Homestead” British General Cornwallis stopped to ask for bread during the battle of Short Hills, June 26, 1777, and was marked by Betty Frazee’s famous statement “I give you this in fear, not in love.” — Map (db m7773) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Patriots and Soldiers of the American Revolution
In honor of the Patriots and Soldiers of the American Revolution at rest in this cemetery. Ceasar TMS   1806 • Noah Clark   1801 • James Coles   1812 • John Darby, Sr.   1820 • John Darby, Jr.   1829 • James Dorcey   1805 • Nathaniel Drake   1801 • Henry Frazee   1795 • Isaac Halsey, Sr.   1788 • William Line   1779 • Isaac Manning   1827 • Jeremiah Oliver   1807 • David Osborne   1825 • Jonathan H. Osborne   1846 • John B. Osborne   1848 • Melvin Parse   1827 • David Pierson   1790 • John . . . — Map (db m63458) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Stage House Inn
[Upper Marker]: Center section built, 1737, became an inn during stage coach days. Enlarged in early 19th century for summer boarders. [Lower Marker]: Circa 1737 “Stage House & Liberty Pole” Col. Recompense Stanberry, Innkeeper during the Revolution raised a troop of Jersey Blues at Liberty Pole which stood in front of Inn, many years a stop for Swift Sure Stage Line. — Map (db m7770) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Scotch Plains — Swift Sure Stage Line
1799 Marking the route through Scotch Plains of the Swift Sure Stage Line Philadelphia to New York. Erected by Scotch Plains Chapter D.A.R. February 12, 1941 — Map (db m7772) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — Battle of Springfield
Here, June 23, 1780, 1500 Americans under Greene and Dayton, were attacked by 5000 British and Hessians under Clinton and Knyphausen enroute to capture stores at Morristown. The British burned Springfield, but were defeated. — Map (db m6917) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — Colonial Church
Site of Church used as storehouse in Revolution. Destroyed by British in Battle of Springfield. Present church built 1791. — Map (db m6931) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — Patriots who fell at Springfield
To the memory of Patriots who fell at Springfield June 23, 1780 — Map (db m7000) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — Springfield
(Front of monument): The first British advance was stayed at the bridge east of the village, June 7, 1780. The Battle of Springfield was fought June 23rd. The Americans under General Greene on that day near the stream west of the church checked the enemy, who in their retreat burned the church and village. From this church Parson Caldwell took psalm-books during the fight and flung them to the Americans for wadding, crying; “Put Watts into ‘em boys.” Erected by the State . . . — Map (db m6915) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — The Battle of Springfield
Their deeds enriched and glorified our nation. This gate is dedicated in commemoration of the heroic service performed at The Battle of Springfield during the war for American Independence by the soldiers whose remains are resting within this sacred tract. Tribute of the New Jersey Society Sons of the American Revolution on the 150th anniversary of the engagement. June 23, 1930 — Map (db m7001) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — The Cannonball House
(Upper Plaque): This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior (Lower Plaque): The Cannon Ball House Farmstead and dwelling built about 1740. Cannonball pierced the west wall during the Battle of Springfield, June 23, 1780. New Jersey State Chapter Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America 1957 — Map (db m6918) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Springfield — The Jersey Militia and Continental Army
. . . — Map (db m6920) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Summit — Signal Beacon and the “Old Sow”
1776 Here in the time of the American Revolution stood the Signal Beacon and by its side the cannon known as the “Old Sow” which in time of danger and invasion summoned the patriotic “Minute Men” of this vicinity to the defense of the country and the repulse of the invader. 1896 This monument was erected by the New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and dedicated to the memory of the patriots of New Jersey. Removed to this spot from its . . . — Map (db m7359) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Summit — Summit Opera House
The building on this site was designed in 1893 for the Women's Temperance Union by architect Theodore Mead, Jr. In return for title to the property, Civil War veteran Joel G. Van Cise completed the construction and provided the W.C.T.U. with a local headquarters. He also used the site as a rostrum when he ran for U.S. President on the Prohibition Party ticket. The building originally housed shops on the ground level. Upstairs, an 800-seat stage hall featured Vaudeville and became Summit's . . . — Map (db m34621) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — American Troops Withdraw
American troops withdrew west along Elmwood and Morris Avenues toward the Rahway River Bridge at the Springfield border on June 7, 1780 after heavy fighting at the First Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m6949) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Battle of Connecticut Farms7 June 1780
In honor of the American soldiers who lost their lives in defense of our newly formed nation at the Battle of Connecticut Farms 7 June 1780 We dedicate this flagpole to all American Servicemen and Women who served their country during the last 225 years Presented by Florence and Charles O. Hoffman Jr. in Memory of Loved Ones gone – June 21, 2001 — Map (db m6928) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Caldwell Parsonage
Near this spot stood the parsonage in which Hannah Ogden wife of Rev. James Caldwell was killed by a British soldier, June 7,1780. Erected by the State of New Jersey A.D. 1905 — Map (db m6930) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Caldwell’s Home
Site of Parsonage used by James Caldwell family. Burned by British in 1780. Mrs. Caldwell was killed by a British soldier. (Lower Marker: ) Reverend James Caldwell and his wife Hannah moved to this site after his church in Elizabethtown was burned by the British army on Jan. 25, 1780. Caldwell was Chaplain of the New Jersey Brigade. — Map (db m6929) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Carriage House
Colonel John Kean built the present carriage house around 1882. The building is an example of utilitarian Victorian architecture with its distinctive roof shapes, slate roofing, and brick arches over the windows, doors and tower. The stable was the home for the work horse used by the Kean’s to maintain the Garden and Farm until the 1950’s. — Map (db m66609) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Christopher Columbus1451 – 1506
Dedicated in memory of the courage and determination of Christpoher Columbus. He followed his dream, and discovered America. Erected by the Columbia Italian-American Club of Union October 13, 2000 — Map (db m40006) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Colonel Elias Dayton
American Colonel Elias Dayton ordered a 4 pound cannon to fire east on Morris Ave. at the advancing enemy. The British were driven back and retreated during the evening of June 7, 1780. — Map (db m6950) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Connecticut Farms
Here stood the Presbyterian Church and here was fought the battle, June 7, 1780, between American forces under General Maxwell and Colonel Dayton and the British army on its advance to Springfield. The church and village were burned by the British during their retreat. June 23, 1780, the British second advance here formed into two columns and moved to Springfield, where they were repulsed. Erected by the State of New Jersey A.D. 1905 — Map (db m6921) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Connecticut Farms
On June 7, 1780 about 5000 British and Hessian troops invaded Connecticut Farms (now Union Township). They stopped at Governor Livingston’s home located at this site. — Map (db m6944) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — First Presbyterian Church of Connecticut Farms
The First Presbyterian Church of Connecticut Farms was built in 1730 and burned to the ground on June 7, 1780 by the British and Hessian army. Reverend James Caldwell was minister. — Map (db m6935) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Gen. Wilhelm von Knyphausen
Lt. General Wilhelm von Knyphausen ordered a second British column to march on Vaux Hall Road in order to out flank American troops fighting on the hill above the First Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m36181) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — General Sir Henry Clinton
On June 23, 1780 British General Sir Henry Clinton marched through Elizabeth and Connecticut Farms (now Union Township) with 5000 British and Hessian troops and was stopped at Springfield and Millburn. — Map (db m36147) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — General von Knyphausen
Lt. General Wilhelm von Knyphausen led 5000 British and Hessian troops west on Morris Avenue on June 7, 1780. His objective was to destroy Washington’s army camped in Morristown. — Map (db m6947) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Glenn Avenue
Dedicated to Lt. Col. John H. Glenn Jr. Feb. 20, 1962 Project Mercury — Map (db m36182) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Horse Chestnut Tree
Planted by Gov. William Livingston’s Daughter Susan In 1770. The oldest tree of its type on the NJ State Register — Map (db m66632) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Jahn's Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlor
On this site formerly stood Union Center's "Landmark" Jahn's Restaurant and Ice Cream parlor. In Union from 1962 thru 1998. — Map (db m34484) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Liberty Hall
Built in 1772 by William Livingston, later a patriot leader, governor of New Jersey, 1776-90, Member of Constitutional Convention. — Map (db m16753) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Liberty HallErected 1773
Residence of Governor William Livingston Eminent lawyer, statesman, writer and poet Governor of New Jersey from 1776 – 1790 Representative of New Jersey in the First Continental Congress 1774. Again a delegate in 1775. Commissioned Brigadier General in command of the New Jersey Militia in 1775. Delegate to the Convention which framed the National Constitution. Staunch friend of Washington — Map (db m32307) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Liberty Hall
Liberty Hall has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1973 — Map (db m66601) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Liberty Hall
Built in 1772 in the Georgian style by William Livingston (New Jersey’s first elected Governor, 1776-1790). The house assumed its current Victorian Italianate appearance in the late 19th century, when it was enlarged by Colonel John Kean to meet the needs to his growing family. — Map (db m66628) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Mass Grave of British and Hessian Troops
Buried in this mass grave are British and Hessian troops killed at the Battle of Connecticut Farms 7   June   1780 These soldiers lost their lives in defense of the British Crown and in support of the Loyalist cause during the Revolutionary War. Their heirs took to Canada and other parts of the world their loyalty, respect for the rule of law and determination to make new lives in a new country. Placed here in their memory by the Presbyterian Congregation of Connecticut Farms and the . . . — Map (db m32311) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Pearl Harbor Square
Memorialized By Bayanihan Club of Union “Lest We Forget” December 7, 1941 To honor our service men and women who sacrificed so much “The Day Of Infamy” when 360 Japanese planes descended on Americans at Pearl Harbor killing 2400 and wounding 1200. Local Survivors: John Adams   *   Edward Gosdoski   *   Thomas F. Mahoney   *   Herman Zuckerman — Map (db m36421) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Revolutionary Soldiers
In honor of the Revolutionary Soldiers buried in Connecticut Farms (Union) New Jersey John Allen • Daniel Baker Sr. • Daniel Baker Jr. • Elijah Baker • Moses Baker • Ethan Baldwin • John N. Baldwin • Lewis Baldwin • Thomas Baldwin • Timothy Ball • Joseph Bonnel • Matthias Brant • Asher Brown • Joseph Brown • Stephen Brown • Adam Brokaw • Joseph Bruen • Matthias Burnett • James Carpenter • Hope Carpenter • David Clark • John Clark • David Crane • Josiah Crane • Obadiah Crane • Joseph Davis • . . . — Map (db m40635) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Steam Tractor
Manufactured By The Frick Engine Works in 1920 This tractor was typical of the kind used here at Liberty Hall to cultivate the fields and plant various crops. Eventually it was replaced by a more “modern” gasoline driven engine. The spec. sheet indicates that it produced 36 brake horsepower. — Map (db m66610) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — The Blue House
Home of Mildred Barry Hughes. Elected to the New Jersey Assembly,   1958 – 1965 The first woman elected to serve in the New Jersey Senate,   1966 – 1968 This building is circa 1790 — Map (db m66607) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — The Serpentine Path
The Serpentine Path is based on the Serpentine, a lake in Hyde Park, London. It was built by Lord Bolingbroke, an English Viscount, who occupied Liberty Hall with his family from 1798 to 1807. — Map (db m66633) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — To the memory of Colonel Israel Angell
Who commanded the 2nd Rhode Island Infantry at the Battle of Springfield 23rd June, 1780. Headquarters, Rampaugh. 28th June, 1780. Sir, ---- The gallant behaviour of Col. Angell’s regiment on the 23rd inst., at Springfield, reflects the highest honour upon the officers and men. They disputed an important pass with so obstinate a bravery that they lost upwards of forty killed, wounded and missing, before they gave up their ground to a vast superiority of force. --- Your . . . — Map (db m6942) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Wagon Shed
Built around 1900, the wagon shed was used to store farm equipment used on Ursino Farm. In addition to farm equipment, the wagon shed houses an Otto manufactured gas engine. This engine powered a circular saw that cut fire wood for the many fireplaces in the house. — Map (db m66606) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Union — Washington’s Headquarters
On June 8, 1780 General George Washington established Headquarters at this site in Connecticut Farms (now Union Township) after the British and Hessian army’s retreat of June 7. — Map (db m6934) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Downer Well Cap
On this corner stood the home and general store of Samuel Downer Jr. He was one of Westfield's first merchants and postmasters, and a Revolutionary War veteran. In 1980, the citizens of Westfield conducted an archeological dig, recovering many artifacts of his life and times. This marker is in memory of Elizabeth Pate who, like Samuel Downer, contributed much to our community. — Map (db m31108) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Gallows Hill
The Westfield Bicentennial Committee Has Designated Gallows Hill As An Official Bicentennial Landmark James Morgan, an American sentry, was tried in the Presbyterian Church on East Broad Street, Westfield, for killing the popular Patriot Reverend James Caldwell. Found guilty, he was hanged on this hill in January of 1781. Plaque Contributed By The Westfield Service League — Map (db m32294) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Meeting HouseWestfield Historical Site — 1740 - 1804
Site of the first permanent frame house of worship, facing the Church Green, known as the Presbyterian Church in Westfield, organized 1728. Erected circa 1740, it was enlarged in 1758 and a bell added. British troops occupied and damaged the building in 1777. In 1805 it was succeeded by a larger building across “the road to the mountains” in front of the present church. Researched By Westfield Historical Society Plaque Donated By New Jersey Bell Telephone Company September, 1976 — Map (db m32319) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Men of Westfield1775       1783
In honor of the men of Westfield buried here who fought in the War of the American Revolution that they and their descendants might enjoy the blessings of a government by the people — Map (db m32297) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Presbyterian Church in Westfield
Near this site stood the first permanent house of worship in Westfield, organized in 1728, built in 1735, known as the Presbyterian Church in Westfield. The bell played an active part in the Revolution, being rung to warn the Patriots of the approach of the British. It was captured by the enemy and carried to Staten Island, but recovered after the war and now hangs in the belfry of the present church. — Map (db m31117) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Revolutionary Cemetery
The Westfield Bicentennial Committee Has Designated The Revolutionary Cemetery As An Official Bicentennial Landmark 5 of Westfield’s early citizens buried here (1730 – 1958) including approximately 70 Revolutionary soldiers, 3 War of 1812 veterans, and 8 Civil War veterans. Plaque Contributed By The Westfield Service League — Map (db m32315) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Revolutionary War Soldiers
< Upper Marker: > In memory of the Revolutionary War Soldiers at rest in this cemetery                                        Died Acken, Joseph…………1804 Baker, Daniel………….1814 Baker, Henry…………..1780 Baker, Jonathan………..1844 Clark, Azariah………....1825 Clark, Capt. Charles…...1785 Clark, Charles………….1821 Clark, Edward………….1803 Clark, Ichabod………….1846 Clark, Jacob…………….1802 Clark, Jesse……………..1815 Clark, Matthias…………1808 Clark, William………….1853 Cory, . . . — Map (db m32338) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Westfield — Westfield Church
Congregation organized in 1727. Second church was site of trial of Parson Caldwell’s killer. Present church dedicated in 1862. — Map (db m32299) HM
96 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 179 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.