HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Union County Markers
South Carolina (Union County), Buffalo — Some Gave All
World War I Cpl. Elmer E. Butler Pvt. Fred Rochester Pvt. J. W. Vance Smith World War II Cpl. Abraham Heatherly Pvt. William E. Medford Pvt. James D. Fisher Robert Charles Evans S-I/C Tech. Sgt. Joseph C. Stevens Pvt. Aubrey T. Miller PFC. George S. Simmons PFC. William D. Mayes PFC. Donald Puckett Erected by American Legion Post No. 87 of Buffalo, S.C. April 13, 1947 — Map (db m54557) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Carlisle — Colonel William Farr
This bridge dedicated to Col. William Farr (1748-1794) Revolutionary War hero (Battles of Cowpens, Fishdam, Blackstock, Musgrove Mills and others) 1st Sheriff of Union County 1st Union Co. Rep. to the S.C. House (1791-1794) one of the founders of Pinckneyville justice of the quorum planter, merchant, father of 11 children — Map (db m14395) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Cross Anchor — Battle of Blackstock
November 20, 1780 Near this spot was fought the Battle of Blackstock — Map (db m11112) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Cross Anchor — 44-7 — Battle of Blackstock’s
This battle of the Revolution took place on William Blackstock’s plantation, 3 miles N. on the south side of the Tyger River, November 20, 1780. Gen. Thomas Sumter commanded the American patriots who repulsed Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton’s British forces. Sumter was wounded here, and this prevented his taking an active part in the war for several months. — Map (db m11111) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Cross Keys — 44-3 — Cross Keys House
[Front]: A post office was established in 1809 at Cross Keys, S.C. In 1812-1814, Barrum Bobo erected this house at the intersection of the Piedmont Stage Road and the Old Buncombe Road. During the ante-bellum period, it was the center of a properous plantation. The gables of the building contain the cross keys insignia and the dates of the construction. [Reverse]: On April 30, 1865, during the retreat from Richmond, Virginia, Jefferson Davis passed through Cross Keys, . . . — Map (db m13390) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Cross Keys — 44-9 — Padgett’s Creek Baptist Church
[Front] This church was founded in 1784 by Rev. John Webb and John Cole, with Barnett Putman and William Wilbanks, Sr. as its first deacons. It was first called "the Church of Christ on Tyger River" and renamed Padgett Creek Baptist Church by 1800. The first sanctuary, a log building, stood about a mile south. [Reverse]: The second sanctuary, a frame building, was completed nearby about 1810. This sanctuary, described as "elegant and commodious" by an early church . . . — Map (db m13428) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Jonesville — 44-16 — Balloon Landing, 1861
[Front]: On April 20, 1861, only days after the Civil War began at Fort Sumter, scientist and aeronaut T.S.C. Lowe (1832-1913) landed the Enterprise, a large gas balloon, on a nearby farm. Lowe was on a test flight in preparation for a trans-Atlantic attempt. Southeasterly currents had carried him 800-900 miles by air from Cincinnati to Union District in less than nine hours. [Reverse]: Many locals assumed that Lowe was a Yankee spy, and it was difficult for him . . . — Map (db m23919) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Jonesville — Flat Rock CemeteryFounded 1802
Four Acres of Land Deeded to the Trustees of Flat Rock Methodist Episcopal Church Baxter Mosley, Edmond Hames Thomas Hames, Charles Hames and Coleman Fowler, on May 10, 1802 by Israel Fowler Recorded December 3, 1839 — Map (db m58568) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Jonesville — Jonesville Confederate Monument
. . . — Map (db m59078) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Jonesville — Jonesville Veterans Monument
Front Dedicated to those who served World War I Apr. 6, 1917 ~ Nov. 11, 1918 Right Side Dedicated to those who served World War II Dec. 7, 1941 ~ Dec. 31, 1946 Back Dedicated to those who served Korea June 27, 1950 ~ Jan. 31, 1955 Left Side Dedicated to those who served Vietnam Aug. 5, 1964 ~ May 7, 1975 American Legion Post 129 ~ May 1990 — Map (db m59073) WM
South Carolina (Union County), Jonesville — Kelton
Incorporated Dec. 24, 1894 Mt. Joy Masonic Lodge # 203 Chartered Dec. 10, 1879 Site of Balloon Landing of T.S.C. Lowe April 20, 1861 — Map (db m55041) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Kelton — Professor Lowe Balloon Landing Site
Spot Where Prof. T. S. C. Lowe famed aeronaut landed Apr. 20, 1861 in Union County, S. C. After Balloon Flight from Cincinnati, Ohio 800 miles in nine hours Died 1913 at Pasadena Calif. — Map (db m15394) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Monarch — Cemetery of Union Church
1755 Cemetery of Union Church for which the Town and County of Union S.C. are named Erected by Fair Forest Chapter D.A.R. 1917 — Map (db m54564) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Padgett's Creek — The Old Quaker Cemetary
This is the old Quaker Cemetery, marking the site of land conveyed by David Smith in October 1778. To Armel Fincher, John Clark, Ralph Hunt, John Neaderman, trustees appointed by the people called Quakers, members of the meeting on Padgetts Creek, whereon a church was built. Some years later the Quakers moved from this vicinity and in May 1822 the same tract was surveyed for Nathaniel Gist, after which it was acquired by the Methodist Church congregation. The Quaker Methodist Church building was moved to another location some years ago. — Map (db m48588) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-12 — Culp-Beaty Hall
[Front Side]: This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1857 for Benjamin Dudley Culp (1821-1885) and his wife Cornelia Meng Culp (1830-1888). Culp, a Union merchant, owned stores on Main Street with partners J.T. Hill and H.L. Goss from the 1850s through the 1870s. In early 1861 the "Johnson Rifles," a volunteer company soon to become a Confederate company in the 5th S.C. Infantry, received its silk flag in a ceremony here. The flag in now (2006) in the Union County Museum. . . . — Map (db m13542) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-11 — Episcopal Church Of The Nativity
Marker Front: This parish was established in 1855 with the Rev. John DeWitt McCollough (1822-1902) as its first rector. This Gothic Revival church, consecrated in 1859 and called “probably the most exquisite gem of a Church in our whole Diocese” the next year, was designed by McCollough. He adapted a plan by architect Frank Wills, whose St. Anne’s Chapel, Fredericton, in New Brunswick, Canada, is virtually identical. Marker Reverse: The inspiration for this . . . — Map (db m30429) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-15 — Fair Forest Plantation / Emslie Nicholson House
Fair Forest Plantation Fair Forest, named for nearby Fair Forest Creek, was the plantation of Col. Thomas Fletchall (d.1789), prominent militia officer before the Revolution and Loyalist during it. Captured in 1775 and briefly jailed, Fletchall moved to Charleston in 1780, then to Jamaica when the war ended; he died there in 1789. After the Revolution his plantation was confiscated and sold at auction. Emslie Nicholson House Col. Thomas Brandon (1741-1802), who bought Fair . . . — Map (db m13394) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-6 — Fairforest Church
Led by Philip Mulkey, thirteen converts of the Great Awakening movement traveled from N.C. to S.C. in 1759, settled on the Broad River, and organized a Baptist congregation, the oldest in the upcountry. Three years later, they moved to what is now Union County and took the name Fairforest. The present site succeeds several earlier ones in Union County. — Map (db m13442) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-4 — Fairforest Meeting
1.5 miles SW stood the original Fairforest Baptist Church. The members, led by the Reverend Philip Mulkey, came from North Carolina to Broad River about 1759. In 1762, the church moved to Fairforest where, as the first Baptist church in the up country, it established other churches. During the American Revolution, it was in a Tory controlled area. — Map (db m13393) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Furman L Fendley Highway
During two separate terms as a member of the South Carolina State Highways and Public Transportation Commission Representing the 16th Highway District, 1975 ~ 1979 and 1983 ~ 1987, and as Chairman of the Commission 1978 ~ 1979, Mr. Fendley rendered extraordinary service to Union County and the state of South Carolina in having this highway constructed from Union to Spartanburg by action of the Highway Commission June 20, 1985. — Map (db m54562) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Gist Cemetery
Ancestral Cemetery of the Gist Family Among those buried here are the secession Governor of South Carolina William H. Gist Aug. 2, 1805 - Sept. 30, 1874 Mary Rice Gist His second wife Also Col. William M. Gist C.S.A. ---------- Rose Hill, the Gist Mansion Located One Mile East of Here. — Map (db m13468) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Jefferson Davis Dined in This House
Jefferson Davis President of the Confederate States of America Dined in this House, The former home of Brigadier General William H. Wallace April 28, 1865 — Map (db m13510) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — John Pratt
Inventor of first practical typewriter, Pat. 1866. Born Union S.C. April 13, 1831. Died Chattanooga Tenn, July 21, 1905 — Map (db m13531) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-1 — Otterson's Fort
One mile east of this point, built by the pioneers of Union County, was one of the several stockades used as refuges during the Cherokee War, 1759-1761. It was probably named for James Otterson, an early settler on Tyger River. — Map (db m11110) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-13 — Presbyterian Cemetery
[Front]: This cemetery, the oldest in Union, was established ca. 1817 and sometimes called the "village cemetery." In 1818 a Presbyterian "union" church used by other denominations as well moved here from a 1783 site about 2 mi. E. Alexander Macbeth then deeded the cemetery to the elders for use as a "burying ground of a Presbyterian Meeting House." [Reverse]: This cemetery includes the graves of many prominent citizens of Union, both Presbyterian and members of other . . . — Map (db m13518) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-2 — Rose Hill Mansion
Erected in 1828-32 by William Henry Gist (1807-1874), lawyer, planter, legislator, and Secessionist Governor of South Carolina, Rose Hill was named for its landscaped rose garden. Its fanlights, carved doors and spiral staircases are noteworthy. The porches were added in 1860. In 1960 it became a State Park. — Map (db m13498) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-8 — Sims High School
Sims High School stood here from 1927 until the early 1970's and was the first black high school in Union County. It was named for its founder, Rev. A. A. Sims (1872-1965), who was its first principal 1927-1951. It included grades 6-11 until 1949 and grades 6-12 afterwards, and educated blacks from Union and surrounding counties. In 1956 it moved to a new building on Sims Drive. The high school closed in 1970, but that building now houses the present Sims Jr. High. — Map (db m19868) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-14 — Site of Union Church, 1783-1819
Side A A "union" church, one founded as a Presbyterian congregation but also used by other denominations, stood here from ca. 1783 to ca. 1819. The church was founded ca. 1765 at Brown's Creek, 2 or 3 mi. NE. It met there in two successive log churches, but suspended services at times during the American Revolution. The congregation moved here and built a hewn-log church on this site not long after the war, probably ca. 1783. Side B The church, with entrances on the west and south, . . . — Map (db m13541) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-10 — Union Community Hospital
Marker Front: Union Community Hospital served the black community and nearby areas from 1932 to 1975. Built as a house ca. 1915, it was converted into a hospital by Dr. L. W. Long in 1932 with the support of several local churches. The building was covered in brick veneer in the 1930s, and a rear addition was built in 1949. The hospital was listed in the National Register of Historical Places in 1996. Marker Reverse: Dr. Lawrence W. Long (1906-1985), a native of Union . . . — Map (db m19996) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union County Confederate Monument
. . . — Map (db m13536) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-5 — Union County Jail
[Front]: The S. C. Board of Public Works had at least fourteen public buildings under contract in 1822-23, when Robert Mills, Acting Commissioner of the board, rejected a partially built jail of inferior brick before proceeding with this one. Experiences like this fitted him for his later career as Federal Architect and designer of the Washington Monument. [Reverse]: This building was completed in 1823 under the supervision of Robert Mills. Campbell Humphries was the . . . — Map (db m11109) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union County Revolutionary War
In honor of the soldiers of Union County South Carolina who fought in the Revolutionary War. — Map (db m55705) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union County Veterans Memorial
In memory of those in Union County who gave their lives in defense of our country during World War I World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam War. — Map (db m13533) WM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union Memorial Gardens Veterans Monument
North Face Dedicated to those who served on our United States Navy West Face Dedicated to those who served on our United States Air Force South Face Dedicated to those who served on our United States Marines East Face Dedicated to those who served on our United States Army — Map (db m55704) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union MillBuilt 1883 by T.C. Duncan — Burned July 9, 1998
This monument is dedicated to the many generations of employees of Union Mill. This mill provided a livelihood for many families and contributed greatly to the growth of Union County for over 100 years. During the height of the textile revolution, 1400 workers were employed. It is our hope that the hard work and quality textiles produced by these dedicated employees will never be forgotten. — Map (db m13544) HM
35 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 271 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.