|Virginia, Virginia Beach — KW16 — Adam Thoroughgood House|
|This dwelling illustrates the transition from Virginia’s temporary frontier structures of the early 17th century to the more permanent, gentry houses of the 18th century. It stands on land obtained in 1636 by Adam Thoroughgood, who came to the colony as an indentured servant and gained prominence as a landowner and Burgess. Constructed about 1680 by a relative of Thoroughgood, the exterior and part of the interior were returned to its original appearance during restoration initiated in 1957 . . . — Map (db m2528) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV-14 — Adam Thorowgood|
|Near here stood the house of Adam Thorowgood (1604-1640), who arrived in Virginia as an indentured servant in 1621. After completing his service, Thorowgood became a leading citizen in Lower Norfolk County. In 1635, he received 5350 acres of land for bringing 105 English settlers to Virginia including himself and his wife, Sarah. The couple settled in Lynnhaven Parish, which Thorowgood named after his home in England, King’s Lynn, and he founded its first church and glebe. He was also elected . . . — Map (db m73870) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Atlantic Parkway|
|The Council of Garden Clubs of Virginia Beach and Princess Anne Co.
Sponsored the development of this 47 block Atlantic Parkway in 1952-1954, in cooperation with the Virginia Department of Highways and the City of Virginia Beach. Many individuals and organizations in Virginia Beach and Princess Anne County contributed funds for the purchase of tees and shrubs. Those listed on the reverse side donated the equivalent cost of one complete block. — Map (db m84229) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV-13 — Chesapeake Indians|
|In 1585, two towns of the Chesapeake Indians
called Apasus and Chesepiooc were visited by the
English Roanoke expedition and later included in
Theodor De Bry's map of Virginia. Archaeological
research conducted in the Great Neck neighborhood
in the 1970s and 1980s yielded evidence of continual
habitation for at least one thousand years before
1600 A.D. Several house sites were found, along
with part of a palisade, pottery, trash pits, shell
beads, and stone tools. The remains of 64 . . . — Map (db m69664) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Church Point — 1639|
|Near this site Lynnhaven Parish Church was built in 1639. The church and its graveyard were the victims of erosion by the waters of the Lynnhaven River. Among gravestones found were those of Adam Thoroughgood and his wife Sarah, and her last two husbands, John Cookin and Francis Yardley. — Map (db m2536) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV 15-a — Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1371|
|Seashore State Park at Cape Henry, now known as First Landing State Park, was built by an all African American regiment of the Civilian Conservation Corps, a New Deal-era relief program that employed young men ages 17 to 25. The CCC program provided food, clothing, medical care, and educational opportunities for men caught in the financial turmoil of the Great Depression. Company 1371 constructed more than 20 miles of trails, drained the marsh, built cabins, and planted a wide variety of trees . . . — Map (db m8315) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — de Witt Cottage — Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum — Home of Back Bay Wildfowl Guild, Inc.|
|The de Witt Cottage, built in 1895 by B. P. Holland, Virginia Beach's first mayor, was the first brick structure built at the oceanfront. With 14" thick outside walls and a sturdy foundation, the building has survivied many northeasters and hurricanes. In 1909, Cornelius de Witt purchased the house and moved his family there. The family remained in the house until 1990 when it was purchased by the City of Virginia Beach.
Restoration of the house was undertaken in 1994 by the Virginia Beach . . . — Map (db m33352) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — K- 277 — Eastern Shore Chapel|
| Originally named for its proximity to the eastern
shore of the Lynnhaven River, the first Eastern
Shore Chapel was built elsewhere by 1689. The
vestry of Lynnhaven Prish commissioned the
building of the third Eastern Shore Chapel in
1754. This brick structure located north of here
on the site of the second chapel (circa 1730),
had a gable roof skirted by modillion cornices,
typical of Virginia's simpler colonial churches.
Because of the expansion of the Naval Air Station
Oceana, . . . — Map (db m69597) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV-15 — First Landing|
|Near here the first permanent English settlers in North America first landed on American soil, April 26, 1607. From here they went on to make the settlement at Jamestown. The brick lighthouse was built in 1791. — Map (db m2670) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — First Landing|
|Landed April 26, 1607
Captain Gabriel Archer Christopher Newport
Hon. George S. Percy Bartholomew Gobfold
Edward Maria Vincefeld
with twenty-five others
calling the place
planted a cross
April 29, 1607
"Dei Gratia Virginia Condita"
This tablet is erected by the Association for Preservation of Virginia Antiquities
April 29, 1896 — Map (db m77578) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — First Landing State Park|
| . . . — Map (db m69832) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Flame Of Hope|
|Flame Of Hope
This flame will burn continuously
to light the way for the return
of our Prisoners Of War held in
South East Asia
Concerned Citizens and
Service Men of Tidewater
USS Shenandoah AD 26
— Map (db m70036) WM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Francis Land House|
|Francis Land House, circa 1732. Placed on the National Register of Historic Landmarks, 1975.
The Francis Land House, circa 1732. Marked by Princess Anne County Chapter, NSDAR, Bicentennial Project, Nov. 13, 1976. — Map (db m2628) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Historic Cayce Hospital Building|
|The City of
Our Nation's Beginning
Register — Map (db m84235) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — History of Thalia/Aunt Penny's Park|
|History of Thalia. The word “Thalia” is derived from the Greek “thallein”, meaning to flourish and bloom. The community of Thalia is generally bounded on the west by Thalia Creek, on the east by Lynn Shores Road, on the north by the Eastern Branch of the Lynnhaven River and on the south by the Virginia Beach-Norfolk Expressway. Thalia is a part of the Edward H. Mosley estate known as “Summerville Plantation”, and appears in the official deed of . . . — Map (db m21224) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — K-272 — Kempsville|
|Originally known as Kemp's Landing, Kempsville is located at the head of the eastern branch of the Elizabeth River. By the middle 1700s, it had become an important port community. Colonial Governor Lord Dunmore's forces fought the Princess Anne County militia at Kemp's landing on 14/15 Nov. 1775 for possession of the strategically important bridge there. After a brief engagement, the militia retreated. Established as a town in 1783, Kempsville served as the county seat of Princess Anne County . . . — Map (db m73903) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Lucius J. Kellam, Jr. — Bridge -Tunnel|
|The dream of a structure bridging the lower Chesapeake Bay to connect Virginia's Eastern Shore with the Mainland of Virginia became a reality with the opening of the Bridge-Tunnel on April 15, 1964. This accomplishment can be attributed to the foresight, leadership, and untiring efforts of Lucius J. Kellam, Jr., of Belle Haven, Virginia, who has served continuously since 1954 as chairman of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel Commission and the former executive, a public-spirited citizen, a . . . — Map (db m34862) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Lynnhaven House|
|This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places byt the United States Department of the Interior. Lynnhaven House. c. 1725. — Map (db m2535) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Neptune|
|From the earliest of time humans have been awed by the power of the sea. Early civilizations declared it the domain of a major mythological deity the god of the sea! To the Greeks Poseidon…To the Romans Neptune.
The statue was cast in bronze by the traditional old lost wax process in Ningbo, China.
Height: 34 ft • Heads: 6 ½ ft • Shoulders: 12 ft across • Weight 12 ½ tons • Dolphins: 17 ft and 15 ft • Loggerhead Turtle: 11 ft • Octopus: 8 ft • Rocks: 100,000 lbs.
. . . — Map (db m92554) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — K280 — Old Donation Church|
|Just east stands Old Donation Episcopal Church, built in 1736. It is the third building to serve the colonial era Lynnhaven Parish, established by 1642. The second church, once adjacent to the current building, was converted into a school in 1737. The church received its present name in the early 19th century likely in commemoration of a gift of land. An 1882 fire left only portions of its brick walls standing. The building was restored in 1916 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. — Map (db m25580) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — K-274 — Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School|
|This is the site of Princess Anne County Training School, the first school for African Americans in the county. The Princess Anne County Training Association and surrounding communities raised money to purchase property to build a high school. In 1934 a temporary site was established at Union Baptist Church until a four-room building was completed in 1938. The high school later expanded in size and faculty and was renamed Union Kempsville High in 1961, just before the county became the city of . . . — Map (db m73895) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Seal of the City of Virginia Beach|
|The Cape Henry Lighthouse & Cross in the seal's center symbolize the beginning of Virginia Beach as well as the United States. The bright sky, sunshine, blue water & sandy beach indicate the importance of tourism & the pleasure of nature available. The strawberry leaves indicate the value of agriculture to the city's economy. Marlins around the seal perimeter represent sports, fishing, boating and other water activities. — Map (db m48338) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV4 — Seashore State Park|
|This park was developed by the National Park Service, Interior Department, through the Civilian Conservation Corps, in conjunction with the Virginia Conservation Commission. It covers 3400 acres and was opened, June 15, 1936. Two miles west is Lynhaven Bay, in or near which there were naval actions in 1672 and 1700, and naval movements in 1781 and 1813 — Map (db m24326) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Chesapeake Bay : History Happened Here — Cape Henry in Peace and War|
|Directly to the east is Cape Henry, which along with Cape Charles, define the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. Both "old" and "new" Cape Henry lighthouses are visible.
In September, 1781 the waters off Cape Henry witnessed two-and-a-half hours of naval warfare. That month, America's ally France sent ships to deny an English fleet access to the Bay. This battle off the Cape allowed General George Washington to finish the siege of Yorktown, Virginia. The British Army could not be rescued. . . . — Map (db m34863) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Chesapeake Bay : History Happened Here — The Navy Sees the World|
|On the morning of December 16, 1907, President Teddy Roosevelt sent the "Great White Fleet" around the world to demonstrate American technology and resolve. Sixteen battleships passed by this point en route to Trinidad and points south, returning to American waters in 1909. The squadrons were manned by 14,000 sailors. They covered some 43,000 miles and made twenty port calls on six continents.
Modern electrical and propulsion systems required shore facilities for training. When the U.S. . . . — Map (db m34867) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Chesapeake Bay : History Happened Here — Your Navy at Work|
|Every type of Navy ship operates on the Chesapeake Bay en route to or from the great naval installations of Hampton Roads. There are easy ways to identify them, starting with color. Most navies in the world paint their ships gray- although some are white. Most also have big numbers on the bow. Modern ships have guns and missiles, but they are small and often hard to see. Some of the more common ships are pictured here.
Sailors aboard Nimitz~class aircraft carried USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) . . . — Map (db m34870) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Chesapeake Bay : History Happened Here — Shields of the Republic|
|In World War II more than 700,000 American men and women went to the conflict through the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation. Over 900,000 more arrived, including the wounded, survivors of sea battles and prisoners of war.
The U-boat peril reached these waters when a submarine mined the entrance to the Bay in 1942. Eventually, air power and important new tools like radar defeated the menace.
The legacy of the 20th century for Hampton Roads was a more permanent relationship with the Navy. . . . — Map (db m34873) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Chesapeake Bay : History Happened Here — Ironclad Revolution|
|In 1861, the Confederate navy converted the hulk of U.S.S. Merrimack into an ironclad, CSS Virginia. On March 8, 1861, the Virginia sank one Union warship and drove another aground in flames before the north's ironclad, U.S.S. Monitor, crossed the Bay near this spot that night. The epic battle between the Monitor and Virginia the next day signaled a new era in naval affairs - the days of sail were over. The battle did not produce a clear victory, but the Union Navy controlled the Bay. Fort . . . — Map (db m34960) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Flame of Hope|
|The Flame of Hope monument was conceived in 1972
as a volunteer project headed by Attack Squadron 43 at
Naval Air Station Oceana. The monument provided
squadron personal with a means to express their
concern for the Prisoners of War and Missing in Action
(POW/MIAs) of the Vietnam War.
The monument was built by volunteers from
Construction Battalion 415 and sponsored by the
Virginia Beach Jaycees and Oceana wives of the
"They're Not Forgotten" Committee.
The Virginia Beach Jaycees . . . — Map (db m70153) HM WM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — The Pembroke Manor House|
|The Pembroke Manor House has been place on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. circa 1764.
Historic Landmark Registered Property Pembroke Manor House Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Act of 1966.
The City of Virginia Beach Landmarks of Our Nation’s Beginning Historical Register. — Map (db m2534) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — K276 — The Testing of Grace Sherwood|
|The witchcraft case of Grace Sherwood is one of the best known in Virginia. She was accused of bewitching a neighbor’s crop in 1698. Allegations grew over time until the Princess Anne County government and her accusers decided she would be tested by ducking, since water was considered pure and would not permit a witch to sink into its depths. Sherwood’s accusers on 10 July 1706 tied her hands to her feet and dropped her into the Western Branch of the Lynnhaven River near what is now know as . . . — Map (db m20361) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Tribute to Admiral de Grasse|
Comte Francois Joseph Paul de Grasse
Admiral of the French Fleet
"Arbiter Of The War"
— — — General George Washington
Victor in the only decisive Naval Battle
in the American Revolution ( the Virginia
Capes, on Sept. 5, 1781) One of history's most
significant, presaging the British
surrender at Yorktown and fulfillment
of the dream of an independent America
The National Society of the
Colonial Dames of America
in the . . . — Map (db m37233) HM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — U.S.N. Armed Guard of World War II Memorial|
U.S.N. Armed Guard of World War II
The Armed Guard of WW II came into existence on April 15, 1941 as USN Naval Reserves began special gunnery training. On September 25, 1941, orders were given to train 200 officers and 1000 men by January 16, 1942. The base was officially established on October 15, 1941. The first class of 23 officers and 184 men began training 300 yards east of this point. Known as Naval Section Base with a staff of four Gunners Mates. U.S.S. . . . — Map (db m94336) HM WM|
|Virginia, Virginia Beach — Virginia Legends Walk|
|Several markers are located along the Virginia Legends Walk. In order, starting from the eastern entrance, they read as follows:Grace Sherwood
Sherwood lived in Princess Anne County from the latter 1600’s until the 1730’s, an era when many American colonists believed in witchcraft as a way to explain unusual events. Sherwood submitted to a trial by water, a “witch ducking,” in 1706, because of charges that her behavior disrupted the lives of her neighbors. . . . — Map (db m33678) HM|
|Virginia (Virginia Beach), Fort Story — Battle of the Capes|
On the morning of September 5, 1781, a line of 19 British warships appeared off this cape, headed for Chesapeake Bay. Surprised at anchor in the mouth of the bay, the crews of 24 French warships scrambled out to challenge them. Both fleets sailed southward together in parallel “lines of battle,” passing out of view of the cape. Then the cannonade began. For two hours, their broadsides could be heard on shore. By nightfall, the shore was quiet again; the two fleets had dueled to a . . . — Map (db m23139) HM|
|Virginia (Virginia Beach), Fort Story — Cape Henry Memorial — Colonial National Historical Park|
| Here at Cape Henry first landed in America, upon 26 April 1607, those English colonists who, upon 13 May 1607, established at Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English colony in America.
Erected by the National Society, Daughters of the American Colonists
April 26, 1935 [logo of the National Society]
[Interpretive Sign at Site:]
On April 26, 1607 three small ships approached the Chesapeake Bay from the southeast and made . . . — Map (db m23198) HM|
|Virginia (Virginia Beach), Fort Story — François Joseph Paul de Grasse — Cape Henry Memorial, Colonial National Historical Park|
This statue, a gift from France is placed here, overlooking the waters where Admiral Comte de Grasse successfully engaged the British Fleet on September 5, 1781. The “Battle of the Capes” prevented crucial reinforcements from reaching Cornwallis, thus hastening his surrender.
Dedicated in grateful remembrance of the decisive contribution of Admiral de Grasse to the winning of the American independence. October 17, 1976 — Map (db m32983) HM|
|Virginia (Virginia Beach), Fort Story — History of Cape Henry Lighthouse|
|Governor Alexander Spotswood first proposed building a lighthouse at Cape Henry in a message to the Virginia House of Burgesses on November 27, 1720. He suggested the province of Maryland should help pay part of the construction costs. For the next thirty-two years, various sessions of the House of Burgesses proposed building a lighthouse at Cape Henry with assistance from Maryland, but nothing was done. Finally, in 1752, the General Assembly passed an act to construct the lighthouse using . . . — Map (db m65675) HM|