|New Jersey (Warren County), Asbury — McCullough House — 1784|
|Built by Rev. War Colonel, Judge & Friend of Asbury. Wm. McCullough. Barn was early Methodist meeting place. Later owned by Thom. McElrath, co-owner of Greeley's Tribune. — Map (db m70055) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Asbury — Methodist Church of Asbury — Methodist Historic Site|
|The Methodist Church of Asbury, New Jersey, by official action of the Northern New Jersey annual Conference of the Methodist Church, is designated a Methodist Historic Site in recognition of the participation of Bishop Francis Asbury in laying the cornerstone of the church in 1796, on which date the town of Halls Mills, in which the Methodist Society was located, was renamed “Asbury,” the first community in the United States to so honor the pioneer American Bishop.
1966 . . . — Map (db m27676) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Asbury — The Plenge Archaeological Site|
|Nearly 13,000 years ago, groups of hunter-gatherers entered the Musconetcong Valley. Near this location is one of the most intensively revisited encampments of these early Native Americans or Paleoindians, ever documented in New Jersey. Thousands of stone tools recovered from investigations at Plenge provide a unique record of human lifeways at the end of the last Ice Age and reveal how Native Americans adapted to a changing world. — Map (db m68139) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — Belvidere|
|Major Robert Hoops had a store and mill here in the 1770's. "Mercer" became Belvidere in 1791. It became a river trade center in the 1800's and finally the county seat in 1825. — Map (db m26105) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — County Park|
|In 1824 Garret Wall presented the land which ... "is always to be kept and continued open as a public square, walk, promenade for the free common and uninterrupted use of the County of Warren forever." — Map (db m30525) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — Court House — (Warren County, NJ)|
|Built in 1826. Location of early sensational trials and public hangings. Its present colonial appearance retained in 1959-1960 restoration. — Map (db m30524) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — John Nicoll — Clockmaker - c. 1825|
|This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Belvidere Historic District — Map (db m58412) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — The Shoe Tree|
|Barefoot country folk sat under this tree to put on shoes before going to worship across the village green. — Map (db m25990) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — Warren County Purple Heart Monument|
Combat Wounded Veterans
Military Order of the Purple Heart
1782 - 1932
Dedicated to all recipients of the Purple Heart, those wounded during our nation's wars and conflicts.
My stone is red for the blood they shed, the medal I bear is my country's way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — Map (db m30523) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Belvidere — Warren County Veterans Monument|
[ Center Marker: ]
We, The Citizens of Warren County, dedicate this monument on the eleventh day of November, nineteen hundred and ninety eight, to the Veterans of Warren County who have made the ultimate sacrifice, thus preserving for us our basic freedoms: Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness.
We hereby express our gratitude to all Warren County Veterans who have served their country since the birth of this great nation and to those who may be called to guard our . . . — Map (db m81106) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Blairstown — The Old Mill — Built in 1825|
|Acquired by Blair Academy in 1903
Blair Lake & The Falls completed in 1906
The Old Mill and other sites at Blair Academy have been placed on the State and National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m21468) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Broadway — Franklin Township Veterans Monument|
|This monument is dedicated to the veterans of Franklin Township who fought for our freedom. They will always be in our hearts. — Map (db m43322) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Carpentersville — Carpentersville|
|Named for the first settler, Jacob Carpenter who emigrated from Switzerland about 1748. A ferry was operated between here and Raubsville, PA. By the mid 1700's there was a gristmill here and a general store through the 1800's.
In 1854, Carpentersville became a station for the Belvidere-Delaware railroad.
Jacob Carpenter left many descendants who built several of the fine homes still standing in the area. — Map (db m17019) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Changewater — Revolutionary Army Route|
|Route of Revolutionary Army in their retreat across New Jersey after the Battle of Long Island 1776 — Map (db m19142) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Delaware — Delaware Village Historic District|
|Listed on the State & National Registers of Historical Places 2004
John I. Blair founded Delaware Village in the 1850's as a station on the newly built Warren Railroad in a rural neighborhood first settled circa 1740. While the station was demolished decades ago, the brick general store erected by Blair in 1860 survives and still houses the US Post Office. On Clarence Street stands the now-vacant Episcopal Church, built in 1869 to replace an earlier stone church at nearby Ramsayburg destroyed . . . — Map (db m26115) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Finesville — Finesville|
|Finesville began as Chelsea Forge, ca 1751, a charcoal - iron forge on the Musconetcong River.
Philip and John Fine, brothers of German descent purchased the forge in the late 1700's, built a dam, and soon after built an oil mill, gristmill and sawmill. The gristmill burned but was rebuilt as a paper mill and later became the Tayloe-Styles knife factory. — Map (db m17885) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Finesville — Hunts Meadow|
|Patriot Edward Hunt settled here on his father's 600 acres of land prior to 1772.
In 1778, 60 cavalry horses belonging to the Continental Army were wintered here and "returned in spring in excellent condition".
Before the revolution, Edward began digging the millrace here. It is 8/10 mile long and once powered a sawmill and the gristmill that became the Reigel Paper Co. — Map (db m17887) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Finesville — Seigletown|
|In 1793, Benjamin Seigle, a captain of the militia during the revolution purchased land here & built a home & a pottery, and produced items of red clay known as Seigleware.
The Seigles built a gristmill, clovermill & blacksmith shop. They owned a hematite mine and were also farmers. The pottery operated for more than 100 years. — Map (db m17884) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Franklin Townsip — The Concrete Mile — New Jersey's First Concrete Road|
|NJ's first concrete highway built in Franklin Township, 1912 with cement manufactured at Thomas A Edison's Portland Cement Company, in New Village — Map (db m33642) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Greenwich Township — General William Maxwell — In Honor of|
Born in County Tyrone, Ireland in 1733.
His Scothch-Irish parents brought family here to Greenwich Township in 1747.
Never married and died in Hunterdon Co., Nov. 4, 1796 and buried in this churchyard.
Always a Soldier, from Private to General.
With Braddock at Fort Duquesne in 1755 and at Ticonderoga, Quebec
and the Great Lakes in 1775, in provincial congress of New Jersey.
Oct. 23, 1776 Brigadier General in the Continental Army. Fought in Canada, Brandywine, . . . — Map (db m19466) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Greenwich Township — Greenwich Township Veterans Monument|
|In Memory of
All American Veterans
This memorial honors all American Veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common, undeniable goal - to valiantly protect our Country's Freedoms.
The memories of these American Veterans will continue to live on whenever and wherever a democracy exists.
The American Veteran - forever a symbol of heroism, sacrifice, loyalty and freedom. — Map (db m34322) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Greenwich Township — Old Greenwich Cemetery|
This tablet is dedicated
to the memory of
the Revolutionary Patriots
Old Greenwich Cemetery
Joseph Beavers •
Spencer Carter •
John Innes •
Robert Kennedy •
William Kennedy •
William Kinney •
John Maxwell •
William Maxwell •
Benjamin McCollough •
John Patterson •
Cornelius Powelson •
Peter Smith •
William Smith • . . . — Map (db m19465) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Hackettstown — Beattystown Historic District — Settled 1750|
|Early farming, milling, manufacturing & trading settlement. Site of Revolutionary War march and encampment, 1777.
New Jersey & National Registers of Historic Sites designation achieved in 1990. — Map (db m33258) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Hackettstown — Hackettstown Civil War Monument|
| < Front of Monument : > “Remember you are Jerseymen” General Nathan Kimball, Dec 12, 1862 Eastern Campaigns Bull Run Peninsula Second Bull Run Antietam Fredricksburg Chancellorsville Gettysburg Wildnerness Spotsylvania Cold Harbor Petersburg Five Forks Appomattox Western Campaigns Shiloh Vicksburg Chickamauga Lookout Mountain Missionary Ridge Atlanta March to the Sea Franklin Nashville < Right Side of Monument : > Rededicated May 28, 2001 to the . . . — Map (db m33257) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Hackettstown — Hackettstown Vietnam Memorial|
|Dedicated to the men and women of the Hackettstown area who served in the Vietnam War Presented by the Hackettstown Kiwanis Club 1986 — Map (db m53395) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Hackettstown — Lt. and Mrs. Robert Wilson|
|Site of the home of Lt. and Mrs. Robert Wilson Gen. and Mrs. George Washington were entertained here in November 1780 and at other times while the armies were encamped at Morristown Site marked in 1964 by Gen. William Maxwell Chapter, D.A.R. Peggy Warne Chapter, D.A.R. Jockey Hollow Chapter, S.A.R. — Map (db m53386) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Hackettstown — Old Presbyterian Burial Ground|
|Hackettstown, New Jersey Established 1763 Burial place for earlier settlers Revolutionary War patriots and their families Dedicated 1999 Hackettstown Historical Society Marker by Cochran Funeral Home — Map (db m53391) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Hazen — First Presbyterian Church of Oxford|
On motion by Mrs. Dickey, seconded by Mr. Miller the following resolution was unanimously adopted by the Board of Chosen Freeholders of the County of Warren at a meeting held March 9, 1994.
Resolution honoring the membership of the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford, past and present, for their contribution to the cultural and historical richness of County Warren.
WHEREAS; as early as 1729 there assembled, in the area known today as Hazen, in various homes, the residents . . . — Map (db m26679) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Johnsonburg — Johnsonburg|
|Johnsonburg Historic District
Trading, stagecoach stop, early farming and milling settlement.
Known in 1753 as Logg Gaol, First Seat of Sussex Co.
New Jersey & National Historic Place designation achieved in 1991. — Map (db m26079) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Johnsonburg — Logg Gaol|
|A log jail here was the first public building of Sussex County, 1754-56. Village later adopted the name of Johnsonburg. — Map (db m25997) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Karrsville — Timberswamp Farm|
|Capt. Geo. Winters Homestead
National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m45016) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Kennedys — Shackletown|
|This was once part of the area known as Kennedys, but when the Lehigh Valley Railroad came through in the 1850's, a foundry was built at the foot of Silver Hill to cast the shackle bolts for the coupling-links that were used to fasten the railway cars together. — Map (db m17881) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Mt. Bethel — Pioneer Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury|
Mt. BETHEL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
in an old log church on this site
FRIDAY MAY 10, 1811.
On Thursday May 9, 1811 Bishop Asbury stayed at Halls Mill (now Asbury) with Col. William McCullough. He preached there in the barn. Then on Friday May 10, 1811 he came to Mt. Bethel and stayed with James Egbert Esq. whose home was directly across the street. James and Rachel Egbert are buried in this cemetery. As early as 1800 Methodist meetings were held in the Egbert home. In . . . — Map (db m18965) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), New Village — Edison Portland Cement Company — 1901 - 1941|
|Manufactured the cement for "The Concrete Mile". The first concrete road in the state of New Jersey.
View the top of the cement plant silo through the viewfinder. — Map (db m57791) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Company Store|
The brick "L" building was
built in the mid 1800s and
was the third location of
the company store. — Map (db m20219) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Foundry|
District Site #5
Produced train car
wheels in the mid
1800s. — Map (db m20222) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Grist Mill|
Built in 1813, Became the
Colonial Methodist Church
in 1913. — Map (db m20223) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Historic Second Presbyterian Church — Oxford, NJ|
|The brick church was constructed in 1866 on land deeded to Second Presbyterian Church by the Scranton Family, who were proprietors of Oxford Furnace and among the congregation's founders. Rev,. E. Clarke Cline was the first installed minister on January 31, 1866, following his service as Civil War chaplain for the 11th NJ Regiment.
The chapel was built in 1847 and became Oxford Furnace's first place of worship as a missionary church of First Presbyterian Church of Oxford, now known as First . . . — Map (db m63553) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Oxford Furnace|
|Built in 1741-42 by Jonathan Robeson in partnership with the Shippen Family on land that would eventually encompass approximately 4,000 acres including iron ore, limestone, wood and water resources utilized by the furnace. It is the oldest remaining iron furnace in New Jersey and the third constructed in the Colony of New Jersey. Its establishment marked the genesis of an iron industry in Oxford lasting well into the 20th century.|
It operated until 1809 and again from 1832-1884, . . . — Map (db m75568) HM
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Oxford Furnace #1|
District Site #4
Oxford Furnace #1
in 1741, first blast
in 1743, blown out in 1884. — Map (db m20441) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Oxford Furnace Memorial|
In memory of Veterans
who served honorably
in the Armed Forces — Map (db m20226) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Oxford House / Wall Street|
Oxford Industrial Historic
Oxford House has been an
inn since the middle 1850s. — Map (db m20225) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Shippen Manor — 1754|
|Built by Joseph and Wm. Shippen, owners of Oxford Furnace. Served as iron company residence for 200 years. A state and national historic site. — Map (db m20220) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — Shippen Manor|
Historic District Site #1
Built by Joseph & William
Shippen, Gentlemen Landowners,
Circa 1754. — Map (db m20221) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Oxford — St. Rose of Lima R.C. Church|
|Oxford Industrial Historic District Site #10
Dedicated in 1902 — Map (db m63554) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Bluestone Sidewalks|
|Bluestone slabs comprised the sidewalks of our business district in the 1870's. These are well over 100 years. Cut from the Pennsylvania Slate Belt, they were delivered to the town's "Road Overseer". 1874 maps show "Main Street" was then 60 feet wide. It depicts the "Horse Car Company's" rail tracks as evidence of the business district's primary transportation. — Map (db m30514) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Dale Estate — Circa 1873|
|William Dale, railroad overseer purchased this land from Bel-Del Railroad in 1861. The original home to rear, overlooked the railroad turntable, so Dale could view his workers. This home has 18 rooms. Later, home and dental office of Dr. Harry Souders and son for 70 years. — Map (db m30511) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Kenneth "Red" Vandegrift — Medal of Honor — In Honored Memory|
Phillipsburg Police Department
For bravery and devotion to duty in sacrificing his own life on November 20th, 1930 while protecting and serving the citizens of Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
Bestowed posthumously and dedicated by his fellow officers and the citizens of Phillipsburg, New Jersey. — Map (db m63110) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Lander-Stewart Mansion — Circa 1880|
|The town's only brownstone, built in grandeous manner to resemble those of East Side Manhattan. Exotic woods, marble, tile and glass brought back from Stewart's European travels line its interior. The front doors are hand carved cypress from Lebanon. First floor office later housed Phillipsburg Telephone Company in the 1930's. — Map (db m30513) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Morris Canal - Lock 10 West|
|1824 - 1924
Lock 10 West was situated on the N.W. side of S. Main St. with the Lopatcong Creek channel paralleling it. This lock had a lift of 9 ft. It's 3 ft. thick stone walls were 120 ft. long and it's chamber was 11 ft. wide.
A canal store operated by J.A. Young was located right next to the N.W. side of Lock 10W.
Pursell gristmill complex located 50 yds. to the east utilized water in the canal for power. — Map (db m30503) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Morris Canal Bridge No. 2|
|This bridge marks the western limit of Morris Canal property acquired by the state under agreement, November 29th 1922. The canal was chartered December 31st 1824, and opened for business in 1831. Two miles west of this point, at the Delaware River, it connected with the Lehigh Canal. Its traffic reached a maximum of 889,229 tons in 1866, and had declined to 27,392 tons in 1902. — Map (db m30505) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Phillipsburg & South Main Street|
|Maps dated 1654 by a Dutch engineer show an Indian village called "Chinterwink". Phillipsburg was first found on a 1749 map named after Indian Chief Phillip, whose tribe made this rich fising and hunting ground their home.
Phillipsburg was settled prior to Easton. In 1752, William Penn wrote, "I think we should secure all the lands on the Jersey side of the water". His intent was to slow Phillipsburg's development while making Easton (Pennsylvania) prosper. Some locals today joke this was . . . — Map (db m30509) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Phillipsburg Civil War Memorial|
|Erected in the memory of the Soldiers and Sailors of Phillipsburg, N.J. and vicinity who served in the Civil War 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m30506) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Presbyterian Manse — Circa 1862|
|Constructed as a home for clergy (Rev. Townsend) for the Phillipsburg Presbyterian Church in 1858; a magnificent stone structure then located at "Main and Market Streets". The Manse was sold to attorney John F. Dumont in 1883 and has been used primarily as law offices since. It was the last office of Hon. Frank S. Thompson, Esq., NJ Assemblyman (1942) and State Committeeman (1952). — Map (db m30519) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — S.A. Comstock Building — Malaska Lodge — Circa 1860|
|The Comstock Family owned many properties, including this, which was first used as a boarding house, and the famous Lee House, located at Union Square (Wardell site).
This building was later used and purchased by the Malaska Council, a once powerful social club of mostly foundry workers. Note "Fist & Hammer" insignia above. In its "heyday" 1880's, there were 27 societies in town. — Map (db m30517) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Stites - Thomas Store — Circa 1849|
|First built as a grain sale and transfer station from the Morris to Lehigh Canal. Horse drawn trailers were driven into the store for grain loading. The grain was then put on canal boats and transported up the Lehigh. In the 1870's it was used as a carriage shop. Note still today the sidewalk remains curbless, reminiscent of easy access for both horse, trailer and carriage. — Map (db m30515) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Stites-Lander Townhouse — Circa 1835|
|Originally occupied by William Stites, Phillipsburg tailor. Later the home of prominent resident John Lander (b.1798-1889) who was co-founder of the Warren Iron Foundry (1856) and the Town Postmaster. Hailed "the oldest living postmaster" in 1882. This Federal-style townhouse was remodeled (1875) in Italianate grandeur. Last law office of State Sen. Wayne Dumont. — Map (db m30512) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Winter & Co. — Circa 1850|
|This land, 1.16 acres, was purchased by Elizabeth Stryker (Stryker Rd.) in 1850. This building was erected soon thereafter. In 1870 the Central Jersey R.R. Co. sold to Central Jersey Land Improvement Co. Winter & Co. rented and manufactured carriages in the adjoining buildings, this one being the sales office. — Map (db m63111) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Pohatcong Township — Pohatcong — Warren County, NJ|
|The original inhabitants of the Lower Musconetcong Valley were the Leni Lenape, who arrived here about 10 thousand years ago.|
Their campsites & farms dotted the valley and they annually burned off the meadow to maintain grasslands for hunting.
The first white occupation dates to about 1720 & by the mid 1700's the Lenape had left Lower Pohatcong due to being adversely affected by their contact with European settlement. — Map (db m64186) HM
|New Jersey (Warren County), Port Murray — Mansfield Township Veterans Monument|
|Dedicated in honor of the sacrifices made by the men and women of Mansfield Township who served in the armed services on the United States in all wars. — Map (db m19144) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Port Murray — Morris Canal — 1824 - 1924|
|National Register Landmark
No. 5 West
Nearby informational marker (see photo #2):
Main Street canal store sits on the N.W. bank of the canal. Reputedly built by Moore Furan in 1836. Notice the loft openings (center bldg.) with batten doors enabling cargo to pass directly to canal boats.
A boat yard and basin located approx. 100 yards N.W. of Main Street, a lime kiln just S.W. of canal at Main Street, and bridge abutements just west of Main Street still survive. — Map (db m19145) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Riegelsville — Riegelsville Historic District — Named in 1876 — Farming, Milling and Trade Route|
|First known as Shank's Ferry in the 1700's. A ferry was established here across the Delaware River. It became known as Riegel's Ferry and the first bridge was built circa 1837. In 1854 a railroad station was built with the stop named "Musconetcong" — Map (db m16749) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Springtown — Coles Grist Mill|
|Built about 1752
Marked by Peggy Warne Chapter
NSDAR - 1985 — Map (db m63113) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Springtown — Pohatcong Township Vietnam Memorial|
In Lasting Memory Of
Pfc. Robert Franklin Bacon
A Company 1st Battalion 5th Calvary 1st Air Calvary Division.
Killed in Binh Duong Province, Republic of South Vietnam. Born 7/3/45. Died 7/17/68.
Cpl. Albert Shiller
C Company 3rd Battalion 47th Infantry 9th Infantry Division.
Killed in Dinj Tuong Province, Republic of South Vietnam.
Born 7/15/47. Died 4/2/68.
Pfc. Arthur Mortimer Rowe
F Company 2nd Battalion 1st Marines 1st Marine Division.
Killed in Quang Tri . . . — Map (db m19464) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Springtown — Springtown|
|The many springs flowing here attracted early settlers by the 1750's, and several mills were built along the Pohatcong Creek (some still stand).
In 1825, the Inn At Springtown became a stagecoach stop on the Trenton-Easton Road.
In 1881, the newly named Township of Pohatcong was directed by the New Jersey Legislature to hold its first committee meeting here. — Map (db m19463) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Stewartsville — Honor Roll|
World War II
Harry Carhart • Francis Kline • Frank Baylor • Leedom Rush • Albert Rush • Fred Thorp • Ralph Warner • Russell Cole • Joseph Winner • Robert Betts • Leroy Beers • Henry Hall • Leon Kroft • Fred Dolph • Jack Winner • Lloyd Janish • Jack Horning • Walter Croft • Lloyd Foss • Arnold Shook • Norman South • Robert Smith • Roy Berger • Frank Markle • Roy Dowling • Jay Horn • Dr. Wilbert Looloian • Dr. Joseph Humbert • Kenneth Looloian • Thomas . . . — Map (db m34918) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Stewartsville — Inclined Plane / Morris Canal Inclined Plane No 9 West|
One of the 23 Inclined Planes
used to raise and lower
boats of the Morris Canal,
built in 1831. Phillipsburg
was the western terminus.
National Register Landmark
No 9 West — Map (db m33604) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Stewartsville — Morris Canal Bread Lock No 7 West|
National Register Landmark
No. 7 West
Warren County — Map (db m33603) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Warren Glen — Hughesville|
|By 1765, Philadelphia lawyer, Hugh Hughes had taken possession of the Greenwich Forge which had been flourishing near here since the 1750's using iron from Durham Furnace. The forge did extensive business until after the Revolutionary War.
James M. Long converted the forge to a gristmill which was eventually consumed by fire.
Hugh Hughes also built his home here & it has housed many of his descendants. — Map (db m17883) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Warren Glen — Jersey Central Lines|
|The Central Railroad of New Jersey mainline crossed here between 1852 to 1976. The CRRNJ was the primary artery of travel to western cities by immigrants entering the United States at Ellis Island and contributed to the suburbanization of Northern New Jersey. It was the first railroad to connect the Port of New York with the anthracite fields of Pennsylvania. — Map (db m33965) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Warren Glen — Pohatcong Township Veterans Monument|
|Dedicated to the men and women of Pohatcong Township who served in the armed forces.
World War I
World War II
Vietnam — Map (db m17882) WM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Washington — Morris Canal|
National Register Landmark
Canal Crossed Here — Map (db m17919) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Washington — Revolutionary Artillery Site|
|To control King's Highway
1777-78 — Map (db m19726) HM|
|New Jersey (Warren County), Washington — U.S.S. Maine Memorial|
Destroyed in Havana Harbor
February 15, 1898
This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine
(on the shield)
Devotion — Map (db m19727) HM|