|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-49 — Abingdon|
|First known as Wolf Hills, land was patented here by Dr. Thomas Walker in 1750. Black's Fort was built, 1776. The town of Abingdon was established in 1778 as the county seat of Washington County. A courthouse, built about 1800, was replaced in 1850. In 1862 the church bells were melted for cannon. In Stoneman's raid, December, 1864, the town was partly burned. A new courthouse was built, 1869. — Map (db m7805) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Abingdon in the Civil War — Wyatt's Revenge — Stoneman's Raid|
On December 1, 1864, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 5,700 cavalrymen east from Knoxville, Tennessee, to destroy iron-, lead-, and saltworks in Virginia that were essential to the Confederate war effort. After actions at Kingsport and Bristol, Stoneman struck at Marion, Wytheville, and Austinville, then destroyed the saltworks at Saltville. Stoneman returned to Tennessee on January 1, 1865, having laid waste to every factory, railroad, depot, and warehouse in his path.
En . . . — Map (db m67298) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-53 — Barter Theatre|
|The Barter Theatre building was constructed about 1830 as a church, which was remodeled several times. Among the oldest theaters in America, the building hosted its first performance in 1876. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, Robert Porterfield, an enterprising actor and Washington County native, created the Barter Theatre and proposed exchanging “ham for Hamlet.” The theater opened its doors on 10 June 1933; admission was “35 cents or the equivalent in victuals” . . . — Map (db m45236) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Battle of Kings Mountain — South Carolina – 7 Oct 1780|
|Major William Edmiston. William Edmiston was named by General William Campbell as the commanding officer of the Virginia Militia at the Battle of King’s Mountain SC. Known for bravery under fire Major Edmiston ordered his troops up the mountain in the first line of fire. One third of all the men killed and wounded in battle were members of the Virginia Militia. Later, Colonel Edmiston served as a trustee of the Town of Abingdon. He died on 30 July 1822. His place of burial is unknown.
. . . — Map (db m46267) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-50 — Boyhood Home of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston|
|Born in Prince Edward Co. on 3 Feb. 1807, Joseph Eggleston Johnston, the son of Judge Peter Johnston, moved a mile north of here with his family in 1811. He attended Abingdon Male Academy and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1829 with fellow Virginian Robert E. Lee. During the Civil War, he was the only officer to command both of the major Confederate armies, the Army of the Potomac (later Army of Northern Virginia) in 1861-62 and the Army of Tennessee in 1863-65; he . . . — Map (db m45330) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-58 — Governor David Campbell|
|David Campbell was born in Aug. 1779 at Royal Oak in Washington County (present-day Smyth County), Virginia. His family eventually moved to Hall's Bottom outside Abingdon. Campbell served in the infantry during the War of 1812 and was promoted to lieutenant colonel of the 20th Regiment in March 1813. He also served in the Senate of the Virginia (1820-1824) and as Washington County Court clerk. During this time Campbell's federal style home, Mont Calm was completed. Elected governor in 1837, . . . — Map (db m45323) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-59 — Governor John B. Floyd|
|John Buchanan Floyd, son of Governor John Floyd (1738-1837), was born in Montgomery County on 1 June 1806. He represented Washington County in the Virginia House of Delegates (1847-1849) and served as governor of Virginia (1849-1852). Floyd was appointed U.S. Secretary of War in 1857. He resigned in Dec. 1860 and became a Confederate brigadier general in Mar. 1861. Floyd was relieved of duty in Mar. 1862 over controversies surrounding his command of Fort Donelson, Tenn., but was soon . . . — Map (db m45027) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-61 — John Campbell|
|John Campbell, the brother of Governor David Campbell, was born about 1788 in part of Washington County, that is present-day Smyth County. Campbell attended the College of New Jersey (later became Princeton) and Washington College. He was a member of the House of Delegates (1810-1812) and periodically served on the Virginia Council of State. He pursued opportunities in Alabama and Tennessee after about 1817 but returned to Virginia by 1821. Campbell served as treasurer of the United States from . . . — Map (db m45255) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-47 — King's Mountain Men|
|From this vicinity went forth a force of Virginians, under the command of Colonel William Campbell, to fight against the British in the Carolinas, 1780. The Virginia troops played an important part in the victory of King's Mountain, South Carolina, won by the Americans over Patrick Ferguson, October 7, 1780. — Map (db m45394) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Landon Boyd — Treason-Trial Juror|
|Landon Boyd, an African American brick mason born into slavery, was an Abingdon resident. After serving in the U.S. Army during the Civil War, he lived in Richmond. In May 1867, he served on the petit jury for the U.S. District Court in Richmond empanelled to try former Confederate President Jefferson Davis for treason. Davis’ two-year confinement in a Fort Monroe casemate and the passage of time softened the feelings against him, and he was released on bail on May 13, 1867. The jury on which . . . — Map (db m67292) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-56 — Martha Washington College|
|The McCabe Lodge No. 56, Independent Order of Odd Fellows decided in 1853 to establish a women's college named after Martha Washington. The Holston Conference of the Methodist Church assumed control of the project by 1858. That same year the conference purchased the Gen. Francis Preston House (ca. 1832) to house the college. In 1860, the first classes were held at Martha Washington College. Several additions were made to the college's main building over the next 70 years. The school merged with . . . — Map (db m45239) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — POW*MIA — You Are Not Forgotten|
|At the end of the Vietnam War (1959-1975), there were more than 2,000 servicemen and women missing in action in Vietnam, Laos and other countries in Southeast Asia. The National League of Families of American Prisoners and Missing in Southeast Asia was established in 1970 for the purpose of increasing public awareness of the plight of captured or missing American servicemen during the Vietnam War, to obtain the release of all prisoners, provide the fullest possible accounting of the . . . — Map (db m67351) HM WM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-60 — Revolutionary War Muster Ground|
|To the south at Craig’s (Dunn’s) Meadow, is the
likely site of the Washington County militia’s
muster ground for the Revolutionary War’s Kings
Mountain Campaign. In Sept. 1780, under the com-
mand of Col. William Campbell the militiamen left
for Sycamore Shoals, near Elizabethton, Tenn.
By 25 Sept., the militia rendezvoused with
additional Washington County militiamen and
forces from present-day Tennessee and North
Carolina and then headed south. On 7 Oct. 1780
these forces with . . . — Map (db m46264) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — 48-K — Site of Black’s Fort|
|The fort, built in 1776, stood a short distance to the south. Here the first court of Washington County was held, January 28, 1777. — Map (db m45021) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — Split Rail Fence & The American Chestnut — (Castanea dentata)|
|Split Rail fences were used by early pioneer families to fence in their livestock, to protect their crops from their farm animals, and to mark boundary lines. The fences were constructed out of timber logs which were split into rails. Most split rail fences have the rails stacked in an interlocking zig-zag fashion that is self supporting; easy to create and to repair. The fence could be easily disassembled it if needed to be moved or the wood was needed for other purposes. During the Civil War . . . — Map (db m67299) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-54 — Stonewall Jackson Female Institute|
|Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church established the institute in 1868 for the education of young women. As a tribute, it was named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The Floyd family property was purchased in Feb. 1868 to house the school. Classes began on 15 Sept. 1868, when boarding and day students as young as seven enrolled. It was renamed the Stonewall Jackson College in 1914 when the Montgomery Presbytery assumed joint ownership. On 24 Nov. 1914, the main buildings . . . — Map (db m45135) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — The Virginia Creeper|
The Abingdon Branch
“The Virginia Creeper”
Norfolk & Western Railway’s Abingdon Branch began in 1887 as the Abingdon Coal and Iron Railroad (AC&IRR). The Virginia-Carolina Railroad (VCRR) bought the AC&IRR in 1900, and extended rail service to Damascus. By 1915, VCRR trains ran over the 76.5 miles of track between Abingdon and Elkland, North Carolina. The parking lot behind you was the VCRR’s Abingdon yard, where equipment was kept, and the VCRR jointed the N&W main . . . — Map (db m67291) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abingdon — K-55 — Washington County Courthouse|
|Three earlier courthouses stood on this site, the first constructed about 1800. The present Washington County courthouse was completed in 1868, replacing the 1850 building burned by a Union soldier in Dec. 1864. The only new courthouse built in Virginia during Reconstruction, it features four Greek Doric columns and an Italianate cornice and tower. A Civil War monument located in the courtyard was unveiled on 10 May 1907 to commemorate the men who served from Washington County. Dedicated on 4 . . . — Map (db m44973) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abington — Bronze "Yellow" Ribbon Monument — "Until You're Home Again"|
|Since the beginning of our nation in 1776, American service men and women have marched away to distant places, leaving friends, family and their own hopes and dreams in order that others may be free.
Over the years we have used different expressions to show and symbolize our gratitude to those who are away, to let them know that they are not forgotten, and that their return is anxiously awaited.
During World War II paper stars were placed in the windows of the homes of the families . . . — Map (db m67305) HM WM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Abington — The Minutemen — "Citizen Soldiers"|
|During the colonial days, Minutemen were a small hand-picked elite force of citizen soldiers who were required to be highly mobile and able to assemble quickly. Minutemen were selected from militia muster rolls by their commanding officers. Typically 25 years of age or younger, they were chosen for their enthusiasm, political reliability, and physical strength. The Minutemen were the first armed militia to arrive or await a battle.
Most Colonial militia units were provided neither arms nor . . . — Map (db m67311) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Emory — Buchanan-Blakemore House|
|James Augustus Buchanan commissioned the
building of this home, completed in 1875. The
bricks used in its construction were fired in
kilns on the property. The exterior walls are
three bricks deep, and the interior staircase
and banister are solid walnut.
Subsequent to the death of James Augustus
Buchanan, the house was conveyed to his
daughter, Mary Walker Buchanan Blakemore.
Upon her death, the house was conveyed to
her only son, John Augustus Blakemore. Upon
his death, the . . . — Map (db m46242) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Emory — Donald W. Tendick, Sr., Memorial|
|From July 1943 to October 1945, Emory & Henry College served as a host site for the U.S. Navy’s V-5/V-12 officer training program—an intensive program of education and physical training that provided the Navy with strong, capable leaders during World War II.
In July 1998, a former V-5 Navy Air Force student, Donald W. Tendick, Sr., and his wife Rosemary, committed the funds necessary to purchase land and buildings in “downtown” Emory to begin a long-needed renewal.
. . . — Map (db m46207) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Emory-Meadow View — I-7 — Emory and Henry College|
|One mile north is Emory and Henry College, founded in 1836, the first institution of higher learning in southwest Virginia. It was named for Bishop John Emory of the Methodist Church and Patrick Henry, the orator of the Revolution. Four bishops of the Methodist Church, three governors, and one United States senator are among its alumni. — Map (db m46245) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Glade Spring — Mrs. Eliza M. Jones|
to the memory of
Mrs. Eliza M.
The wife of
Lieut. W. E. Jones,
U.S. Mounted Rifles.
She was born on the 3rd of May 1884 in Washington County, Virginia, was married on the 15th of January 1852, and was drowned on the 26th of March of the same year when attempting to land from wreck of the Steam Ship Independence at Pass Caballo, Texas. She was personnally beautiful, had a sweet disposition, and an intilect uncommonly brilliant. The early death of so hopeful a sister, . . . — Map (db m20414) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Green Cove — “Maud Bows to The Virginia Creeper” — Photographed by Mr. O. Winston Link on this Spot October, 1956|
|This works is one of O. Winston Link’s most revered photographs. Mr. Link’s legacy is having captured the end of the “Golden Age” of the railroad in this country. His innovative techniques with light and dark were years ahead of his time. This particular photograph symbolizes technology transforming the face of rural America. The tracks that were once the railroad have been removed leaving the national treasure known as The Virginia Creeper Trail. Enjoy. — Map (db m65771) HM|
|Virginia (Washington County), Green Cove — K-62 — Green Cove Station|
|Green Cove Station was a rail stop along the “Virginia Creeper” Railroad that ran from Abingdon, Virginia, to Todd, North Carolina. Built by the Virginia Carolina Railroad about 1914, it also served as a post office, general store, and telegraph office, managed primarily by William M. Buchanan. Famed photographer O. Winston Link memorialized this building in his 1956 photo “Maud Bows to the Virginia Creeper.” The last train passed here in 1977, but the station remained . . . — Map (db m65768) HM|