“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Washtenaw County Markers
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — Four World RecordsJesse Owens
Four World Records Established on Ferry Field at the Big Ten track meet Ann Arbor May 25, 1935 Broad Jump 26 ft. 8-1/4 inches. 220 yds low hurdles 22.6 seconds. 220 yd sprint 20.3 seconds. 100 yd dash 9/4 seconds. Jesse Owens 1913 – 1980 Design by Denis Lee — Map (db m63269) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — In memory of all Veterans
In memory of all veterans who served our country in time of war — Map (db m35499) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — S601 — Martha Cook Building
Side 1 The Martha Cook Building first housed women students of the University of Michigan in 1915. New York lawyer William W. Cook, a Michigan alumnus, donated the building. The Collegiate Gothic residence was named for Cook's mother, Martha W. Cook. New York architects York and Sawyer designed this building as well as the university Law Quadrangle, one of Cook's later donations. Paul Suttman's garden statue, known as "Eve," was a fiftieth anniversary gift of the building's . . . — Map (db m93666) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — L339 — Michigan Central Railroad Depot
Built in 1886, and conceived by Frederick Spier, the design of this granite block building was influenced by the Romanesque style of the great American architect Henry Hobson Richardson. The massive arch and two-foot thick walls are balanced by simple precise detailing. Carefully preserved, this depot is a symbol of the elegance and vitality of nineteenth century rail transportation. — Map (db m51751) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 14 — Rackham School of Graduate Studies1938
Horace H. and Mary A. Rackham, generous donors to the University of Michigan, established the Rackham Fund in 1933 “for the benefit of humanity.” Feeling that the graduate school offered possibilities of the most far-reaching benefits, the Rackham Fund in 1935 donated substantial funds to endow the graduate school, which had been founded in 1912, as well as funds to construct a building. At the time, it was the largest gift ever given in support of graduate education in the United . . . — Map (db m65357) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — L1181 — St. Thomas the Apostle Church
In 1831 Father Patrick O'Kelly came from Detroit to minister to the Irish Catholics in the Washtenaw area. He offered his first mass in Ann Arbor on July 12, 1835, in a home located on land bounded by Detroit, Kingsley and Fifth Streets. St. Thomas parish took more permanent form in 1840, when under the leadership of Father Thomas Cullen it purchased land on Kingsley Street near Division Street and built Ann Arbor's first brick church. It established a parochial school in 1868. The church site . . . — Map (db m51695) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — The Main Street Shopping Experience
Founded in 1860, Mack & Company grew to be Ann Arbor’s largest department store. In 1870 it advertised dress goods, household goods, flannels, shawls and cloakings, “selling everything cheap.” By 1900 it had become Main Street’s premier shopping destination, wooing customers with promises of first class service. In the 1920s shoppers could visit Mack’s post office, bank, beauty shop, and pharmacy, enjoy an occasional fashion show or sing along while a pianist played sheet music for . . . — Map (db m94375) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — Washtenaw County War Memorial
In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Washtenaw County who served in the Civil War, 1861-1865, also those who served in the war with Spain, 1898. Erected A. D. 1914. — Map (db m26659) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 16 — William L. Clements Library1923
William L. Clements (1882, LLD 1934hon) was a regent of the University of Michigan (1910-1933) whose life-long avocation was the collection of books, maps and related materials on American History from 1492 to 1800. In 1922, he donated to the university his substantial collection of rare books, early newspapers, manuscripts, and maps. He felt that the preservation of such works and their availability for scholarly research would be of great benefit to mankind. He also donated the funds . . . — Map (db m93665) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Chelsea — L1356 — Chelsea / Chelsea Depot
(side 1) Chelsea In the 1830s the Congdon brothers, Elisha and James, settled the land where Chelsea is located. In 1848 they offered the Michigan Central Railroad a free site on which to build a station. The first and succeeding structures were freight stations. The first shipment sent on May 2, 1850, was a barrel of eggs weighing 130 pounds. For a time more wool was shipped from Chelsea than from any other place in the state. Grain, apple, stock, and meat shipments were also . . . — Map (db m54136) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Chelsea — L1956 — First Congregational Church
Vermont Congregationalists organized a church in Sylvan Township in 1849. In 1852 the built the first church in the village, here on land donated by Chelsea founder Elisha Congdon. When that building burned in 1894, John Foster of Chelsea built the present church, designed by Grand Rapids architect Sidney J. Osgood. Dedicated the following year, the church reflects Romanesque and Italian design. — Map (db m54156) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Chelsea — L0193 — North Lake Methodist Church
The Reverend Charles Glenn organized the first Methodist class here in 1836, and for the next ten years the group met in the home of his brother, John. In 1846 the brothers presented the congregation with a building which served as both church and school until the present structure was erected in 1866. The former Grange Hall was added to the church in 1925 to serve as an educational and social center. With community help a new building for this purpose was begun in 1971. — Map (db m55416) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Chelsea — Oak Grove Cemetery Civil War Memorial
(North Face): Erected under the auspices of Woman's Relief Corps No. 210, assisted by R.P. Carpenter Post No. 41, and Patriotic Citizens 1861 to 1865 (West Face):R.P. Carpenter Post No 41 To the memory of our noble dead who freely gave their lives that our Country's flag might be maintained unsullied. Erected May 30, 1897 — Map (db m26732) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Chelsea — S0524 — The Welfare Building
The Welfare Building was constructed in 1906 as a recreation facility for the workers of the Glazier Stove Company. It featured a swimming pool, a billiard hall, a basketball court, a theatre and a reading room. Chelsea native Frank P. Glazier, who was Michigan state treasurer from 1904 to 1908, founded the stove company in 1891. Because Chelsea, a predominantly rural community, lacked skilled labor, most of the company's workers commuted weekly via a special train from Detroit. In 1907 Glazier . . . — Map (db m54138) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — L2227 — Delhi Bridge
(side 1) The Delhi Bridge was one of many Pratt through truss iron bridges built to order by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, between 1876 and 1899 to span the Huron River. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Once common in Michigan, few bridges of this type survived into the twenty-first century. Built to serve the thriving agricultural village of Delhi Mills, it replaced earlier wooden foot and wagon bridges that crossed the river at a . . . — Map (db m60228) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — Dexter Area Civil War Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Dexter and vicinity, in memory of the heroes who fought and the martyrs who died that the republic might live. Dedicated May 30, 1898 1861-1865 — Map (db m53429) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — L1303 — Dexter Depot / Track Pans
Dexter Depot The Michigan Central Railroad reached Dexter from Detroit on July 4, 1841, just after Dexter's first depot was completed. Frederick H. Spier of Detroit designed the present depot, which was completed in record time. Work began on November 6, 1886, and at noon on January 19, 1887, the station opened. The plantings for the grounds came from railroad greenhouses at Niles and Ypsilanti. The depot had two waiting rooms, a ticket office and a baggage room. Passenger service ended . . . — Map (db m54861) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — L0626 — St. Joseph Catholic Church
The Catholic church in this village dates back to 1840 with Fathers Cullen, Hennesy and Pulsers serving the predominantly Irish parishioners for nearly thirty years. The present brick edifice, completed in 1874, is an example of simple Gothic style. Stained glass and carved woodwork enhance the interior. St. Joseph Catholic Church was dedicated on January 3, 1875, with almost 700 persons attending, and Bishop Caspar Henry Burgess performing the rite of consecration. The bell, weighing almost . . . — Map (db m54893) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — L0855 — Webster United Church of Christ
In 1834 construction began on Webster Church, the oldest church building in continuous use in Washtenaw County. Built on land donated by Hannah Williams Kingsley, it was completed in 1835 after Moses Kingsley secured donations from Daniel Webster and others in the East. The church had been founded in 1833 under the leadership of the Rev. Charles G. Clark, a New York missionary to the Michigan frontier. Clark was pastor until 1858. Originally Presbyterian, the church polity changed to . . . — Map (db m60515) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Manchester — L1666 — Bethel Church
(side 1) In 1840 the Reverend Frederich Schmid of Ann Arbor organized the Evangelical German Bethel Congregation in Freedom Township. Schmid, a missionary pastor originally from Basil, Switzerland, frequently traveled to the township and held services in the Kuebler District School, one mile east of here. In 1849, Johannes and Louis Strieter deeded one acre of land to the congregation. Church members built a log church on the lot where they worshipped until 1857 when a frame building . . . — Map (db m55387) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Manchester — Manchester War Memorial
In memory of our soldiers dead 1861 - 1865 1898 - 1899 WW I               WW II 1917 - 1918      1941 - 1946 Korean              Vietnam 1950 - 1955       1961 - 1975 — Map (db m26797) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Manchester — L0799 — Salem Church
The Reverend Edward Weiss, a Washtenaw County circuit rider, organized an Evangelical class of fifteen members in 1874. They met in a school located two miles east of here. Two years later, trustees Herman Gieske, Lambert Gieske and Bernhardt Kuhl, on behalf of the Evangelical Association of North America, bought land from the Rowe family in the area known as Rowes Corners. Church members hauled brick and lumber to the site. Salem Church was dedicated in November 1876. The vernacular Gothic . . . — Map (db m60220) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — 94 — Eastern Michigan College
Founded by legislative action in 1849 as the Michigan State Normal School, it was the first state teacher education school west of Albany. Its aim was to provide instruction "in the art of teaching and in all the various branches that pertain to a good common school education." On this site the first building, old Pierce Hall, opened for classes in 1852. Built by the joint action of local citizens and the state, it stood here until 1948. — Map (db m91656) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — L1961 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
When the First Methodist Episcopal Church opened in June 1892, the Ypsilantian called it "an ornament to the city." The church typifies Akron Plan churches, popular among late nineteenth century Protestants. The Akron architectural firm of Weary and Kramer designed the seating in arcs to give each person a full view of the minister. Washtenaw County Methodism dates from 1825 when itinerant minister Reverend Elias Pattee organized a class in the nearby settlement of Wooodruff's Grove. . . . — Map (db m90905) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — L1615 — First Presbyterian Church
Originally built in 1857 with a single, central spire, the First Presbyterian Church was greatly enlarged and rededicated in 1899. Detroit architect Julius Hess redesigned the church, using the original sanctuary walls, and added a columned entrance portal and twin towers. The cupola-topped towers are reminiscent of English Baroque churches, yet the interior and overall design reflect Renaissance architecture. The rose window was made by Tiffany & Co. of New York. — Map (db m90667) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — B47 — Ladies' Literary Club House
This house, built prior to 1842 by Arden Ballard, has been recognized by the Historic American Building Survey as a model of Greek Revival architecture. The house was purchased by the Ladies' Literary Club in 1913. — Map (db m90645) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — 128 — Michigan's Interurbans
Michigan's first interurban, the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor, began operating in 1890. Pulled by a steam engine, the cars went west on Packard Road to the Ann Arbor city limits. Because of the low fares (10 cents one way) and frequent service (cars leaving every 90 minutes) the line was soon carrying over 600 passengers daily. Electric power was adopted in 1896. In a few years a network of interurbans was built in southern Micigan. The "Ypsi-Ann" became part of a Detroit to Jackson road that . . . — Map (db m90632) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — S0509 — Willow Run
[Marker Front]: Willow Run (1941-1953) After entering World War II in 1941, America desperately needed military equipment and supplies. The Ford Motor Company had begun building this factory in April 1941. Outstanding industrial architect Albert Kahn designed Willow Run, one of the largest manufacturing plants under one roof in the world. Completed in early 1942, this bulwark of the "Arsenal of Democracy" produced 8685 B-24 Liberator Bombers and had a peak employment of 42,000 men . . . — Map (db m14296) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — 237 — Ypsilanti
Side 1 Located at the juncture of old Indian trails and the Huron River, this area was the camping and burying ground for several Indian tribes. In 1809 Gabriel Godfroy established an Indian trading post on the west bank of the Huron which he maintained for about ten years. Benjamin Woodruff and companions came up the river by boat in 1823 and settled one mile west of here at Woodruff's Grove. In 1825 a town was platted by Judge Augustus B. Woodward of Detroit and two local men, . . . — Map (db m90681) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Ypsilanti Civil War Memorial
This Statue was presented by Mary-Ann Starkweather 1861-1865 Erected by the Women's Relief Corps of Ypsilanti in memory of the men who in the War of the Great Rebellion fought to uphold their country's flag Memorial Day 1895 They died to make their country free — Map (db m14142) HM
30 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You

States and

Counties or

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.