“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Wayne County Markers
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Armington & Sims Machine Shop
In machine shops, workers use machines to shape metal parts with great precision. The parts are then used in other machines. Workers carefully and skillfully ran machines like those inside this machine shop/ Many of the country’s engineers of the later 1800s and early 1900s got their start in machine shops like this one. They often began as helpers and gradually worked their way up to become skilled machinists. Built in 1929 in Greenfield Village. Named after Armington & Sims, a maker of . . . — Map (db m78780) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 1765 — Charles A. Kandt House
This house, built around 1927 by Charles and Anna Kandt, represents the foursquare, a house type popular during the early twentieth century, particularly in the teens and twenties. Charles Kandt opened a hotel in Dearborn in 1903 and engaged in other enterprises, including the sale of farm implements and hardware. During the early 1920s he formed the C.A. Kandt Lumber Company. Kandt served on the city council and chamber of commerce. Registered Local Site No. 1765 Property of the State of Michigan — Map (db m31686) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — HB4 — Commandant's Quarters
This building was one of eleven built in 1833 for the United States Detroit Arsenal at Dearbornville. A walled compound, a 360 foot square, was erected to store military supplies on the frontier. Constructed of red brick in the Federal style, this Arsenal was located on strategic Chicago Road, now Michigan Avenue. The quarters were a center for social and cultural events in Dearborn until they were closed in 1875. The Commandant's Quarters later became a fire station, police station, church, . . . — Map (db m31687) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Daggett Farmhouse
Samuel Daggett held many jobs, like many other people in the community. Sometimes he even pulled teeth. Each member of the Daggett family played and important role in producing food, clothing and other goods on this Colonial farm. In order to provide for his family, Samuel Daggett did a variety of things. He worked the family farm, built houses and made furniture. His wife, Anna, spun yarn, made clothing, fed the animals and taught their children how to read and write. Like other families in . . . — Map (db m78796) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1629 — Dearborn Hills Golf Club
During his long career Robert Herndon developed over fifty subdivisions and nine golf courses. In 1922 he opened the Dearborn Hills Golf Club. According to the Dearborn Times Herald, it was Michigan's first public golf course. Having been rejected by bankers who reminded him that "golf was for millionaires," Herndon financed the project with the aid of investors. The golf course was designed by three professional golfers including Walter Hagen. Construction of the golf course and the . . . — Map (db m33663) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Dr. Samuel Pierce Duffield
1833-1916 - Physician - Chemist - Pharmacist - One of the founders of Parke, Davis & Company, Dr. Duffield's stately residence was located about one-half mile west from this marker. About 100 feet further west was located his laboratory where he practiced medicine during the latter part of his life and carried on many experiments which have aided medical science. — Map (db m32500) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Edison Homestead
Thomas Edison’s grandparents were known for their kindness. Story has it that the would leave food on the stove in their kitchen when they left home so that hungry passers-by could find something to eat. Thomas Edison had happy childhood memories of the time he spent here with his grandparents. Thomas Edison’s great-grandparents fled to Canada after the American Revolution because they sided with the British. His grandparents started a farm and built this home there. As a boy, Edison . . . — Map (db m78795) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 17 — Fair Lane
Here Henry and Clara Bryant Ford lived from 1915 until their deaths in 1947 and 1950. The eminent American auto magnate and inventor named Fair Lane after the road on which his father, William Ford, was born in County Cork, Ireland. The fifty-six room mansion made of marblehead limestone and concrete was completed in 1915. Inventor Thomas A. Edison, a frequent guest here, laid the cornerstone in 1914 for the powerhouse which supplied power for the entire estate. Ford's popularization of the . . . — Map (db m31690) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S0126 — Ford Airport / Ford Tri-Motor
The Ford Airport At this airport, built by Henry Ford in 1924, world and national history was made, ushering in a new era of flight embracing the all-metal airliner, radio control devices, air mail, scheduled flights, and the airline services that the generation of the 1930's came to expect. For the first time in the world: A hotel, the Dearborn Inn, was designed and built for the air traveler. A guided flight of a commercial airliner was made by radio. For the first . . . — Map (db m14956) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 660 — Fordson High School
Side 1 When it was dedicated on March 22, 1928, Fordson High School was hailed as "one of the finest school buildings in the United States." Designed in the Neo-Tudor style, the school is reminiscent of sixteenth century English universities and manor houses. The tower was inspired by the Yale University Memorial Quadrangle and the Lawyers Club at the University of Michigan. Fordson's interior houses mosaics, statuary, Pewabic tile, and murals by Hungarian-born artist Zoltan Sepeshy . . . — Map (db m32948) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Hanks Silk Mill
Silk comes from silkworm, which is really a caterpillar. One cocoon contains a single strand of silk up to 1,000 yards long. Workers spent tedious hours here, tending to the silkworms and spinning thread from their cocoons. The Hanks family ran this mill, which is believed to be the first water powered silk mill in the United States. The thread they made in this mill was sold across the country. They later moved to a larger mill, where they continued to make thread until the 1920s. Built . . . — Map (db m78779) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 236 — Henry Ford Birthplace
At this intersection stood the home in which Henry Ford was born on July 30, 1863. The farm house was owned by Ford's parents, William and Mary Ford, and in 1944 it was moved to Greenfield Village. In a space of less than ten years at the beginning of this century, the founder of Ford Motor Company developed three separate and distinct concepts, any of which would have assured him an honored niche in history. He designed and built the Model T Ford car, "the car that put the world on wheels." He . . . — Map (db m32946) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1982 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior The plaque above: In 1929, Henry Ford created Greenfield Village. Guided by the philosophy of “learning by doing.” Ford not only paid tribute to his friend and hero, Thomas Edison, but also gave Americans a chance to . . . — Map (db m78755) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Millpond
As part of Greenfield Village’s storm-water management system, this millpond cleans water and improves our wetlands ones way to the Rouge River watershed. This millpond is connected to other ponds in Greenfield Village based on an original 1929 design by Henry Ford. In many early villages and towns, millponds were created by damming streams and rivers to build up a reserve of water. Millers controlled a release that directed some of the water through channels toward the mills, like those . . . — Map (db m78781) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Noah Webster Home
Noah Webster created America’s first dictionary. He suggested a single - and distinctly American - way to spell a word, such as “logic” instead of “logick.” This home was built for Noah Webster’s retirement, but he never really retired. He spent many years working on his publications here. Noah Webster lived in this home with his wife, two daughters and at least one free African-American servant. Webster wrote many of his publications here. His famous American . . . — Map (db m78798) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Sir John Bennett Jewelry Shop
Sir John Bennett liked the mythical story of Gog and Magog, the ancient protectors of Britain, so he re-created them for the front of his shop. The clock figures, Gog and Magog, toll the chimes of this shop every 15 minutes. Sir John Bennett was a successful clock, watch and jewelry maker in London, England. This building stood a grand five stories at its original London site. It was scaled down to two stories when it was moved to Greenfield Village. Today it as a sweet shop inside. . . . — Map (db m78758) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Smith Creek Depot
While working as a newsboy on the Grand Trunk Railway line, Thomas Edison sent along the latest Civil War news by telegraph. That way, he could be guaranteed newspaper sales when he arrived at each depot. This small but busy railroad station was an exciting place for people traveling in and out of town. For many families, Smith Creek Depot was more than a place to catch a train. People could also mail packages and send telegrams. The stationmaster, who sold tickets and worked the . . . — Map (db m78777) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S0386 — St. Joseph's Retreat
In 1885 Michigan's first private mental institution was located here under the guidance of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1855 the Sisters at St. Mary's Hospital in Detroit had begun the care of the mentally ill, formerly confined to prisons and poorhouses. In 1860 they opened a separate facility, the Michigan State Retreat, which was incorporated in 1883 as St. Joseph's Retreat. The original brick building situated on these 140 acres of farmland and lawns overlooking the . . . — Map (db m33657) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1070 — The Dearborn Inn / Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings
The Dearborn Inn Henry Ford built the Dearborn Inn in 1931 to accommodate overnight travelers arriving at the Ford Airport. Located opposite the inn on Oakwood Boulevard, the airport opened in 1924. The 179-room inn, designed by Albert Kahn, was the world's first airport hotel. The Georgian-style structure features a crystal-chandeliered ballroom and high ceilings. Its rooms are decorated with reproductions of furniture and fabrics of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The guest . . . — Map (db m36017) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — The Ten Eyck Tavern
Conrad Ten Eyck (1782-1847) built a famous tavern in 1826 about 300 feet west of this marker--the first resting place of travelers, one day's trip west of Detroit. It stood on the River Rouge at a point where the Chicago Road forked. The northerly branch, called the Ann Arbor Trail, led toward Lansing, the westerly branch to Ypsilanti. The inn burned down in 1869, its stables in 1906. Ten Eyck's humor may have given Michigan the nickname "Wolverine." He served Dearborn Township as Supervisor, . . . — Map (db m32498) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Thomas Edison’s Menlo Park Office and Library
Thomas Edison knew how to make an impression. He had his office built from brick so people would think he was running a strong, profitable business. Thomas Edison needed people with a variety of talents to keep his “invention factory” running. Thomas Edison’s office staff on the first floor of this building took care of business issues such as accounting and correspondence. They worked alongside employees who dealt with all the reporters who visited. Others created drawings . . . — Map (db m78988) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Wright Cycle Shop
The Wright Cycle Shop is considered the "birthplace of aviation." this is the original building where the Wright Flyer was made. Besides their bicycle business, Wilbur and Orville Wright did much of the hands-on work on their airplane here. The Wright brothers earned a steady income from building, selling and repairing bicycles at this Dayton, Ohio shop. They used much of that money to pay for their aviation experiments. Their experience building bicycles helped them unlock the mysteries of . . . — Map (db m66351) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn Heights — L0067 — Wallaceville School
Constructed in 1824 as a church, the original log building on this site was the first school in Bucklin (later Dearborn) Township. In 1829 the building became a public school. When John B. Wallace donated the land and building to the school district, the school was named after him. The building burned in 1876, and was replaced by this brick structure. The building was used only intermittently after 1938, and in 1966 the City of Dearborn Heights converted it into a museum. — Map (db m32530) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 19th U. S. Infantry
In memory of our deceased comrades of the 19th U.S. Infantry and other Regts. Erected by the 19th U.S. Inf. Veteran Assn. — Map (db m14118) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Alpheus S. Williams
Major General Alpheus Starkey Williams. 1810-1878. Hero of two wars. Judge. Editor. Postmaster. Diplomat. Member of Congress. An untiring servant of the people. An honor to the City of Detroit. The Michigan Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States and citizens of Detroit have erected this tribute to the valor and abilities of Alpheus S. Williams, Lieut-Colonel, First Michigan Infantry Volunteers in the War with Mexico. Brig.-General and Brevet Maj. General United States Volunteers in the Civil War. — Map (db m26616) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L388 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1839 a group of black Detroit citizens formed the Colored Methodist Society, which became the core of the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. The group held meetings in a hall which was donated by the Detroit Common Council. The Society moved several times, before a church was built on Lafayette in the 1840s. In 1841 the church assumed its present name and organization. From its inception, the church served in a number of ways; it has provided a school for black children, an agency to . . . — Map (db m32496) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L535 — Central United Methodist Church
Lewis Cass, governor of the Territory of Michigan, approved a constitution for the First Methodist Episcopal Society May 17, 1822. This church, a direct successor, was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. It was completed in 1867 by the combined efforts of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and the Congress Street Society. When Woodward Avenue was widened in 1936, a thirty-foot section was removed from the nave, and the front and tower were subsequently relocated. The sanctuary was then rededicated. . . . — Map (db m42313) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0687 — Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War
(front side):Chapman Abraham During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the British took Canada from France and with it possession of French forts in the western Great Lakes region, including Detroit. The post remained an important center of trade between the British and Native Americans. British trader Chapman Abraham (c. 1723-1783) arrived in Detroit around 1762. Abraham helped to supply British soldiers during the war as a partner of Fort Michilimackinac commissaries Levi . . . — Map (db m33485) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S280 — Chicago Road
The Great Sauk Trail, the most important Indian trail in the Great Lakes region, was used later by French explorers, fur traders, missionaries and soldiers. After the 1760s the trail became a major road for British and American travelers. In the early 1800s, when a military road was needed to connect Detroit with Fort Dearborn (Chicago), Territorial Governor Lewis Cass and Father Gabriel Richard, an influential legislator, were leading supporters of the Great Sauk Trail route. With federal . . . — Map (db m42298) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit River HeritageRiver History
For centuries, Native People used the Detroit River for travel, trade, and food. From 1701 to the mid-19th century, French, British, and American settlers used the River the same way. After 1870, companies that processed steel, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and manufactured ships and stoves located on the riverfront, and dumped industrial waste into it. The growing city of Detroit sent sewage into it. By 1930, pollution was a major problem. Clean-up efforts since the 1970s have restored the . . . — Map (db m33419) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit Spanish American War Monument
Front:Cuba Porto Rico Erected by the people of Wayne County in commemoration of the services of her volunteer sons in the Army, Navy and Marine Corps of the United States during the war with Spain 1898-1902 Reverse: China Philippines In commemoration of the volunteer services of Wayne County's sons during the insurrection in the Philippines and the Chinese relief expedition 1898-1902 — Map (db m26655) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Edwin Denby Enlistment
Edwin Denby Enlisted on this spot 26 April 1917 As Private, U.S.M.C. — Map (db m42315) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 453 — Elmwood CemeteryMichigan Registered Historic Site
In 1846 when this was a farm on the outskirts of Detroit, a group of gentlemen formed a corporation and purchased the land for use as a public cemetery. The trustees patterned the grounds after Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and utilized the ideas of famous landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Parent's Creek, renamed Bloody Run after the battle fought between Pontiac and the British in 1763, serves as the focus in the informal country garden landscape. Albert and . . . — Map (db m21845) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0069 — Finney Barn
Seymour Finney conducted one of the principal passenger depots of the underground railroad in the Detroit area. Finney, a tailor by trade, later became a hotel-keeper, and it was in this capacity that he assisted fugitive slaves in the era prior to 1861. In 1850 he purchased a site where in later years stood the Finney Hotel, and also erected a large barn which he operated along with his tavern. Strongly sympathetic to the abolitionist cause, Finney employed every means to assist escaping . . . — Map (db m41190) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0288 — First Michigan Colored Regiment
The First Michigan Colored Regiment was organized at Camp Ward, which originally stood at this location. Formed from August through October 1863, a year of draft riots and protests against the war, this Negro regiment consisted entirely of volunteers. During training, a regimental band was formed and toured southern Michigan to recruit additional volunteers. Mustered here as the 102nd U.S. Colored Troops, February 17, 1864, the 900-man unit left Detroit March 28, 1864 for service in South . . . — Map (db m14889) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L0594 — Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company was incorporated as an automobile manufacturer on June 16, 1903. The articles of incorporation were drawn up and signed in the office of Alexander Y. Malcolmson, who operated a coal yard once located on this site. Henry Ford gave the company its name and designed its first product, the 1903 Model A. The purpose of the company was to manufacture and sell motor cars and related parts. In addition to Ford and Malcolmson, the original stockholders included other figures important . . . — Map (db m33525) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 71 — Fort LernoultRegistered Michigan Historic Site
This marks the site of the southwest bastion of Fort Lernoult. It was here, on July 11, 1796, that the American flag was first flown over Detroit. the fort was built by the British in 1778-79 to protect Detroit against possible attack by George Rogers Clark and the American army. Overlooking the stockaded village and named for its commander, Richard B. Lernoult, the fort controlled river traffic and land routes. The fort was not attacked during the American Revolution. However, it was then the . . . — Map (db m21736) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 27 — Fort PontchartrainMichigan Registered Historic Site
The first permanent French settlement in the Detroit region was built on this site in 1701. The location was recommended by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, who wished to move the fur trade center south from Michilimackinac. Cadillac's plan was approved by Count Jerome de Pontchartrain, Minister of Marine, for whom the fort was named. The term le detroit (the strait) was applied to the fort and surrounding area; after 1751 the post was known as Fort Detroit. In 1760, as a result of the French and . . . — Map (db m21853) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0182 — Fort Wayne
No hostile shots have ever been fired from this star-shaped fort built in the 1840s to guard against a British invasion from Canada which never came. This third bastion to protect the river approach to the city was named for General "Mad" Anthony Wayne who accepted the surrender of Detroit from the British in 1796. It was a mobilization center for Union troops during the Civil War. Regiments from Fort Wayne served in the Indian conflicts, the Spanish-American War, the Philippine Insurrection, . . . — Map (db m14292) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0224 — Frederick Douglas - John Brown meeting
In the home of William Webb, 200 feet north of this spot, two famous American's met several Detroit Negro residents on March 12, 1859, to discuss methods of abolishing American Negro slavery. John Brown (1800-1859), fiery antislavery leader, ardently advocated insurrectionary procedures, and eight months later became a martyr to the cause. Frederick Douglas (c. 1817-1895), ex-slave and internationally-recognized antislavery orator and writer, sought a solution through political means and . . . — Map (db m14478) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0464 — Gabriel Richard
Father Gabriel Jacques Richard, S. S., (1767-1832) -- pastor, educator and public servant -- arrived in Detroit in 1798. In 1802 he became the pastor of Ste. Anne Church. He brought a printing press to the area and in 1809 printed Michigan's first newspaper, The Michigan Essay or Impartial Observer. In 1817 Richard and the Reverend John Monteith, a Presbyterian, became the first professors of the University of Michigania, the territory's pioneer educational establishment. Richard also . . . — Map (db m14879) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Gen. O. M. Poe Post No. 433
1923. This tablet is dedicated to Gen. O. M. Poe Post No. 433, Grand Army of the Republic, by its auxiliary, Gen. Poe Woman's Relief Corps No. 8. "Not for selfish gain or applause, but for honor and the glory of the cause they did that which will never be forgotten." — Map (db m26657) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — General Casimir Pulaski1748-1779
This monument to General Casimir Pulaski, who on Oct. 11, 1779 gave his life at Savannah, Georgia, in the cause of America independence, is a gift to the city of Detroit from the Central Citizens Committee in behalf of 400,000 Americans of Polish descent living in the Detroit Metropolitan Area, with the hope that it shall stand eternally from Sunday September 4, 1966, the day of observance of the millennium of Christianity in Poland, as a symbol of the close and affectionate bonds which have . . . — Map (db m21877) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0452 — George DeBaptiste Homesite
George DeBaptiste, a long-time Mason, and one of Detroit's most active and impassioned black community leaders, lived on this site during the 1850s and 60s. Born in Virginia about 1815, he moved to Madison, Indiana in 1838 and became involved in the Underground Railroad. Forced to leave because of his anti-slavery activities, DeBaptiste became the personal valet of General William Henry Harrison, whom he accompanied to the White House as a steward. In 1846, DeBaptiste came to Detroit and . . . — Map (db m14479) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 473 — Germantown
Fleeing political unrest in their homeland, Germans began arriving in Detroit during the 1830s. Lured by state of Michigan recruiting pamphlets, German musicians, teachers and professionals joined increasing numbers of immigrants in Detroit. By 1880, twenty percent of the city's population was German-born. Most of these immigrants settled in this area, known as Germantown, between the Jefferson and Gratiot Avenue corridors. Many opened shops and businesses ranging from breweries to tailoring . . . — Map (db m42263) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront HistorySt. Aubin Park Riverwalk
Stone 1: St. Aubin Park Riverwalk Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront History This walk made possible by: Friends of Partners Detroit Recreation Department Dedicated July 1969 Stone 2: The Many Names of Detroit 1880: City of the Straits (Major Great Lakes Port) 1920: Motor City (Automotive Capital of the World) 1963: Motown (Center of American Popular Music) 1980: The Renaissance City (Gateway to 21st Century) Stone 3: . . . — Map (db m33975) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Grand Army of the Republic
There are now forty-eight reasons why we will always remember the Grand Army of the Republic. Erected by Department of Michigan, Woman's Relief Corps, auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. Dedicated November, 1948. — Map (db m26656) WM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Grand Army of the Republic Building
Memorial to the Soldiers and Sailors of 1861-1865 — Map (db m14144) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Henry the HatterMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Henry the Hatter. Founded in 1893, for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contributing to the economic growth and vitality of our state. — Map (db m42316) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — HB11 — Mariners' Church
In 1842, according to the will of Julia Ann Anderson, Mariners' Church was organized to serve the spiritual needs of Great Lakes seamen. Anderson had come to Detroit in 1818 with her husband, John, a brevet lieutenant colonel with the U.S. Topographical Engineers. Designed by Calvin Otis of Buffalo, New York, the Gothic Revival church was built in 1849 on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and Woodbridge Street. In 1955 the church was moved to make room for Civic Center Plaza. Hauled 880 . . . — Map (db m42295) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1447C — Motown
The "Motown Sound" was created on this site from 1959 to 1972. The company was started with an $800 loan from the savings club of the Bertha and Berry Gordy, Sr., family. Originally called Tamla Records, the company's first national release was "Money (That's What I Want)," in August 1959. The founder, choosing a name that reflected the Motor City, coined the word "Motown" for the company that was incorporated as the Motown Record Corporastion on April 14, 1960. That same year it produced its . . . — Map (db m17597) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Perry's Victory
Perry's Victory in Lake Erie Sept. 18, 1813 — Map (db m14365) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Peter Wetherill Stroh
Peter Wetherill Stroh (1927-2002) was a Detroit business leader, civic activist and philanthropist. A great grandson of the founder of The Stroh Brewery Company, he became Chairman and CEO of the family business while at the same time maintaining a strong passion for the rehabilitation of Detroit's waterfront. His efforts began in the 1970s with the company's purchase and redevelopment of the Parke Davis complex into Stroh River Place at the foot of Joseph Campau. Among many civic posts, Stroh . . . — Map (db m33469) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0658 — Ransom Eli Olds
In Lansing, on August 21, 1897, Ransom E. Olds (1864 - 1950) founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, the precursor to Oldsmobile. He produced four vehicles that year. In 1899, Olds relocated to Detroit, opening the Olds Motor Works on West Jefferson Avenue near the MacArthur Bridge. In 1901, he built 425 gasoline-powered Curved Dash Oldsmobile Runabouts, driving them on Belle Isle prior to sale. Mounds of dirt excavated during canal construction on the island provided perfect "hills" for the . . . — Map (db m14362) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S. S. Edmund Fitzgerald1958 - 1975
The flagship of the Oglesbay-Norton fleet sailed for 6,857 days on the Great Lakes carrying iron ore to feed the steel mills of Michigan and Ohio. She was built at the Great Lakes Engineering Works at River Rouge, Michigan- Nine miles west of here. When the keel of the Fitzgerald hit the water, she became the largest freighter to traverse the inland seas - 729 feet long and 75 feet wide. On January 7,1974, while at anchor in the Detroit River, one mile west of Belle Isle, the . . . — Map (db m37159) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S552C — Shrine Circus
Near this site, on February 26, 1906, some 3,000 spectators watched the nation's first Shrine Circus. Detroit's Moslem Shrine temple's one-ring show was the beginning of a major fund-raising venture for Shrine temples throughout the country. In 1907 Shrine temples in other cities began sponsoring circuses, and in 1925 the Shriners featured their first three-ring show. Originally operating for one week, Shrine Circuses appear across the nation throughout the year. Clyde Beatty and his wild . . . — Map (db m23804) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Erected by the people of Michigan in honor of the martyrs who fell and the heroes who fought in defense of liberty and union. — Map (db m26658) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines
In memory of our Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines — Map (db m26651) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Spirit of Detroit
The inscription on the symbol wall is from II Corinthians, 3:17 "Now the Lord is that spirit and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." The sculpture by Marshall Fredericks was designed to continue the thought conveyed by the inscription and reflects in its conception the spirit underlying all human ideals - The relationship of God to Man. The main figure represents the spirit of man. In his left hand he holds a symbol of God, and in his right hand, a family group: Father, . . . — Map (db m42317) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 333 — St. Albertus Church
Polish immigrants arrived in Detroit as early as the 1850s, but not until the Reverend Simon Wieczorek founded St. Albertus Roman Catholic Parish in 1872, did their community have a center. In 1885 the present Gothic Revival building replaced the original wooden frame structure. Inspired by the Reverend Dominic Kolasinski's concern for the Polish traditions, it incorporates twelve lunette panels over the nave arcades, brick detailing, and an octagonal tower common to churches in Poland. . . . — Map (db m67632) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 536 — State Savings Bank
Completed in 1900, this is Michigan's preeminent example of design by the internationally renowned architects, McKim, Mead and White of New York. The three-story Neoclassical structure features a white marble exterior with bronze window units. Among its superbly crafted interior features are carved Roman arched colonnades with bronze grill work and gold-leaf detail on the two-story high ceiling of the main room. In 1907 Peoples Savings Bank (established in 1871) merged with the State Savings . . . — Map (db m42265) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Statue of Abraham Lincoln
Let man be free. — Map (db m26788) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0464 — Ste. Anne Church
On July 26, 1701, two days after his arrival, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, founder of Detroit, built a chapel dedicated to Ste. Anne, patron saint of New France. Father Francois Vaillant, a Jesuit, and Father Nicholas Constantine Delhalle, a Franciscan, were instrumental in the founding of the parish. The church records, which date from 1704, are now the second oldest continuous Roman Catholic parish records in the nation. From 1833 to 1844, Ste. Anne's was the Cathedral Church for the diocese . . . — Map (db m14878) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 70 — The Battle of Bloody RunMichigan Registered Historic Site
Near this site, in late July 1763, the British and Indians fought the fiercest battle of Chief Pontiac's uprising. As Captain James Dalyell led about 260 soldiers across Parent's Creek, the Indians launched a surprise attack which devastated the British. Dalyell and some sixty of his men were killed, and the creek became known as Bloody Run. This battle marked the height of Pontiac's siege of Detroit, a struggle which he was forced to abandon three months later. — Map (db m21846) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Black Presence in Detroit
This hallowed land was early Detroit. First came the Indians, then Cadillac and French settlers with their Black and Indian slaves. These early Blacks were French speaking Catholics with French names. History recorded that our first Black inhabitant was an unnamed female given the last rites by Father Daniel in 1736. When the British came in 1760, they brought slaves who were used as trade goods. During the Revolutionary War, Blacks including Jean Baptiste Pointe Du Sable, the founder of . . . — Map (db m33483) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Cadillac Convoy / Le Convoi de Cadillac
(English side) The Cadillac Convoy In recognition of the courage, perseverance and expertise of the French-Canadians who brought Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac to establish the first permanent settlement at Le Détroit du Lac Érié. Bertrand Arnaud.....Jean-Baptiste Guay Gabriel Aubuchon.....Pierre Lagrave Louis Babie.....Jean Latour, Louis Badaillac dit Laplante..... sieur de Foucault Simon Baillargé.....Jean Lemire dit Marsolet Henri Bélisle dit Lamarre.....Jean-Alexis . . . — Map (db m33687) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The First Theater in Michigan
This tablet marks the site of the first theatre in Michigan. In the top story of a government warehouse on this site, in the year 1819, was located Michigan’s first theatre. Amateur performances were given by officers stationed at Fort Shelby for their families and other civilians. In 1826 the first Thespian Society was organized. Presented to the City of Detroit in the month of September, 1926. — Map (db m41849) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Gateway to FreedomEd Dwight - Sculptor
Until Emancipation, Detroit and the Detroit River community served as the gateway to freedom for thousands of African American people escaping enslavement. Detroit was one of the largest terminals of the Underground Railroad, a network of abolitionists aiding enslaved people seeking freedom. Detroit's Underground Railroad code name was Midnight. At first, Michigan was a destination for freedom seekers, but Canada became a safer sanctuary after slavery was abolished there in 1834. With passage . . . — Map (db m33459) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S473 — The Harmonie Club
Detroit's oldest musical association, the Harmonie Society, was founded in 1849 by German immigrants who wished to meet and sing Lieder (German art songs). The society's first building, Harmonie Hall, was constructed in 1874 at the corner of Lafayette Avenue and Beaubien Street. The hall burned in 1893 and the present Harmonie Club was erected in 1895. Designed by German-American architect Richard E. Raseman, the Beaux Arts structure was a Germantown landmark. Although organized and . . . — Map (db m42262) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0515 — The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac
The Landing of Cadillac (English side) After departing Montreal June 5, 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his convoy of 25 canoes sailed down this river and on the evening of July 23 camped 16 miles below the present city of Detroit on what is now Grosse Ile. On the morning of July 24, Cadillac returned upriver and reached a spot on the shore near the present intersection of West Jefferson and Shelby. Pleased with the strategic features, the bank towering some 40 feet above the level . . . — Map (db m33522) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S646 — The Salvation Army
Founded by William Booth in London, England. The Salvation Army came to Michigan in 1883. When organizing the Detroit corps in 1887 Captain Fink wrote to her British superiors: "This is the Metropolis of Michigan … a beautiful city, but oh, the sin and iniquity that abounds here." The army initially concentrated its efforts near here, in Cadillac Square, a haven for persons of ill repute. Salvationists found their sidewalk ministry hindered by city officials, who in 1901 enacted an ordnance . . . — Map (db m23805) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment
Events on Detroit's Campus Martius spurred the patriotic citizenry to raise a special regiment from this area and so the 24th Michigan Infantry mustered into U.S. service on August 15, 1862, numbering 1,030 men. The "24th" was also known as, "The Detroit and Wayne County Regiment," as enlistments totalled 428 from the city and 479 from the townships. Commanded by Colonel Henry A. Morrow, these volunteer soldiers became part of the famous Iron Brigade and first distinguished themselves, under . . . — Map (db m42264) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — HB11 — U.S. Topographical Engineers
When Michigan became a state in 1837, the Detroit office of the U.S. Topographical Engineers was headquartered on this site. The topographical engineers helped transform Michigan from a wilderness into a prosperous state. They also played a vital role in Great Lakes navigation before the Civil War. First appointed in 1813, the engineers surveyed land, canals, railroads and harbors, and platted military positions relative to roads, villages, rivers and ravines. They also constructed lighthouses. . . . — Map (db m42294) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S72 — University of Michigania
The Catholepistemiad, or university, of Michigania resided in a building near this site from 1818 to 1837. Conceived of by the Reverend John Montieth, Father Gabriel Richard and Judge Augustus Woodward, the university was established by territorial law on August 26, 1817. Modeled on the University of France, created by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1807, the institution was the center of a statewide system of primary, secondary and college education. Reverend Montieth, the first president, and Father . . . — Map (db m23662) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Veterans' Memorial Building
The Veterans Memorial Building, completed in 1950, stands as a monument to those Detroiters who gave their lives and services in war for our country. It was the first of the civic center’s buildings to be erected. The soaring carved marble eagle adorning the building’s north facade is the work of renowned Michigan sculptor Marshall M. Fredericks and symbolizes peace, valor, goodwill and victory. Six Vermont marble pylons, located west of the building, are incised with reliefs illustrating . . . — Map (db m42266) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 242 — War of 1812 DeadRegistered Michigan Historic Site
Hardship struck soon after American troops regained Detroit on Sept. 29, 1813, during the War of 1812. Soldiers quarters were lacking, and food supplies became desperately short. Then a disease resembling cholera broke out among the soldiers. By Dec. 1, 1813, nearly 1,300 officers and men were sick. Medical supplies were almost gone. Conditions worsened. When coffins became unobtainable, many soldiers were buried in a common grave at this site. Some 700 may have died before the epidemic ran its course. — Map (db m21745) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Garden City — L0041 — A Nankin Pioneer
On May 10, 1825, Marcus Swift, from Palmyra, N. Y., bought the northwest corner of Section 11 in Nankin Township from the United States government. He was the first to own land now part of Garden City. The Swift family's log cabin overlooked the River Rouge, a few rods from this site. The area was a dense hardwood forest. On May 28, 1827, Swift was elected the first supervisor of Bucklin, which consisted of the present Redford, Dearborn, Livonia, and Nankin townships and had a population of . . . — Map (db m33765) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Gibralter — S100 — Battle of Brownstown
In this vicinity on Aug. 5, 1812, six weeks after the outbreak of war, an Indian force, led by the famous Shawnee chief, Tecumseh, ambushed about 200 Americans under Major Thomas Van Horne who were on the way south to the River Raisin. There, supplies vitally needed by Hull's army in Detroit, were awaiting an escort through the Indian blockade of the River Road. Tecumseh opened fire as the Americans forded Brownstown Creek. Van Horne, overestimating the Indians' numbers, ordered his men to fall . . . — Map (db m27572) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Gibralter — War of 1812 Memorial
[First Tablet, Lower Tablet Facing East]: War of 1812 Memorial Dedicated on Aug. 5, 2006 Original monument was dedicated In 1908 at W. Jefferson Ave. Near Gibraltar Road by Dr. Hal C. Wyman Moved in 1958-1959 to Parsons School in Gibraltar by Gibraltar Rotary Club Moved and restored at this Site in 2005-2006 by Brownstown Historical Society [Second Tablet, Upper Tablet Facing East on East Cannon]: This tablet Erected by Wayne . . . — Map (db m27819) WM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center
Dedicated in memory of Major General George A. Custer 1839-1876 Distinguished soldier from the state of Michigan was graduated from U.S. Military Academy 1861 He, with 264 officers and men of the Seventh U.S. Calvary, was killed in action at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, Montana Territory, 25 June 1876. — Map (db m26787) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L0139 — Joshua Simmons Farm
In 1824 Joshua Simmons of Bristol, New York, obtained a patent from the federal government for 160 acres of land in Livonia Township. Simmons and his wife, Hannah, were among the township's earliest white settlers. Their first home was a log shanty, built in 1826. In 1841 they constructed this house in the Greek Revival style, popular in New York State. The farm was named Meadow Brook. Joshua Simmons (1801-1882) hewed lumber to build the earliest barns and mills in Livonia, Farmington and . . . — Map (db m34973) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L261 — Wilson Barn
This barn was constructed in 1919 on the burnt-out foundation of an earlier structure built about 1888. It is a fine example of an increasingly rare bank barn style. Here, on the farm owned and operated by his family since 1847, Ira Wilson built a million-dollar enterprise which grew from dairy farming, to delivery, to full creamery operations. By his death in 1944 the business had become "one of the district's leading creameries." Wilson also held several local elective offices. — Map (db m78987) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — L1665 — First Presbyterian Church of Northville
In 1829 former members of the Farmington Church organized this church, originally named the First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth. In 1835-1836 a frame church was built here on land donated by D. L. Cady. A New England-inspired brick church opened in 1849 and was first remodeled under the Reverend James Dubuar who served from 1851-1875. Subsequent additions have included a new sanctuary, built in 1969. The original brick church is now undetectable within the present structure. — Map (db m51906) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — L1427 — Mill Race Historical Village
Side 1 In 1827, John Miller built a grist mill on this site. The structure was replaced by the Northville Mills in 1847. In 1919 mill owner Donald P. Yerkes sold the site to Henry Ford who razed the structure and built a valve factory across Griswold Street one year later. The factory was one of Ford's village industries, a group of rural plants that manufactured small automotive parts. The Ford Motor Company donated the land to the city of Northville in 1972 for use as a historical . . . — Map (db m68219) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — L0874 — Baker House
Henry W. Baker (1833-1920) built this Italianate style house in 1875. Born in Richmond, New York, Baker had moved to this area while still a boy. As a young man, he worked as a photographer, a merchant and a lumberman. At the age of forty-nine, he helped found the Plymouth Iron Windmill Company, which in 1895 became the Daisy Manufacturing Company. The company, now best known for its BB guns, operated in Plymouth until 1958, when new owners moved it to Arkansas. Baker's descendants lived here until 1943. — Map (db m33078) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — 637 — Plymouth
The village of Plymouth was settled in 1825, incorporated in 1867, and became a city in 1932. The Lord Mayor of Plymouth, England, came here in 1967 to celebrate the centennial of Plymouth, Michigan's incorporation as a village. He and his aides presented this piece of rock from Plymouth, England, to the citizens of Plymouth, Michigan, some of whom are descendants of the Pilgrims. This rock, taken from the Plymouth harbor from where the Mayflower sailed in 1620, stands as a symbol of friendship between the two cities. — Map (db m33098) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — 18 — Rose of AberloneMichigan Legal Milestone
T.C. Sherwood, president of Plymouth National Bank, contracted in 1886 with Hiram Walker of Walkerville, Ontario for the purchase of a cow, Rose 2d of Aberlone. Both parties believed that Rose was barren and would not breed, and that mistake led to one of the most famous contract cases in U.S. history. Mr. Sherwood tried to pay Hiram Walker the agreed-upon price, $80, but Mr. Walker refused it after discovering that Rose was pregnant. Her value was now about 10 times greater than that . . . — Map (db m62359) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Wilcox House
This is the site of a Plymouth Landmark, the Wilcox House, built in 1903 by William Markham, inventor of the BB Gun and the co-founder of the Daisy Air Rifle Co. George and Harriet Wilcox purchased it in 1911 and here raised their three children, Julia, Katherine, and Johnston (“Jack”). Originally, in the side yard, a continuously flowing fountain spilled over into a large reflection pool. A pergola, gazebo and statuary were focal points on the extensively landscaped grounds. . . . — Map (db m33070) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), River Rouge — Civil War /Spanish War /World War
Erected in 1927 by F.A. Buhl Woman's relief Corps No.43 aux. to the Grand Army of the Republic A tribute to the men of this community who made the supreme sacrifice. Civil War Spanish War World War — Map (db m14890) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), River Rouge — 43 — River Rouge War Memorial
Erected in 1927 by F.AA. Buhl No.43 Women's Relief Corps Aux. To Grand Army Of Republic A tribute to the men of this community who made the supreme sacrifice. Civil War Spanish War World War — Map (db m26617) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Trenton — S0199 — Battle of Monguagon
On August 9, 1812, a force of about 600 American troops, regulars and militia, moved down the River Road in an attempt to reach Frenchtown (Monroe) and bring back supplies needed desperately by the Americans in Detroit. At a point that cannot now be exactly located, near the Indian village of Monguagon, American scouts ran into a British and Indian force of about 400 hundred men, led by Capt. Adam Muir and Tecumseh, blocking the road south. Lieut. Col. James Miller quickly brought up his . . . — Map (db m14349) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — L2053 — First Congregational Church
On August 20, 1848, the Reverend James S. Kidder and nine members chartered the First Congregational Church of Wayne. Later that year, a Congregational society was formed. The two organizations worked as one body, but were separate, looking to the spiritual needs of its members and the society taking care of the secular matters associated with the church. The society owned the church property and took responsibility for its legal and financial interests. The church and society memberships were . . . — Map (db m79329) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — S296 — Johnson's Tavern
In 1824 George M. Johnson purchased eighty acres of land from the government and erected a log tavern at this location, a days journey from Detroit. Stephen G. Simmons bought the tavern from Johnson in 1825 and operated it until he was hanged for the murder of his wife in 1830. In 1832 the tavern, located on the new Detroit-Chicago military road, was purchased by Ezra Derby. He later subdivided some of his land and sold lots. A hamlet known as Derby's developed around the tavern, and in 1836 . . . — Map (db m79302) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — L1347 — Old Wayne Village Hall
Since 1878 the Old Wayne Village Hall has served as the center of civic affairs in Wayne. It is one of the few surviving Second Empire style buildings in Wayne County. The first meeting of the village took place on April 20, 1869. In the following years, meetings were held in rented quarters. In 1877, when the village's population had reached 1,400, Wayne officials approved plans for a village hall and jail. James Lewis of Detroit received the building contract in January 1878. On August 19, . . . — Map (db m79330) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — L1578 — Cooper School
The first Cooper School, known officially as Nankin District No. 1 School, was built around 1837 on a farm owned by Gilbert Cooper at the southwest corner of present-day Ann Arbor Trail and Middlebelt Road. The Coopers were Nankin Township pioneers who owned a grist mill on the Rouge River. Cooper School became Fractional No. 1 of Nankin and Livonia in 1849. In 1865 the district built a one-room school on land leased from Cooper's son Loren. It was replaced in 1938 with a brick structure, which . . . — Map (db m33883) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — S699 — Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital
(Front): In 1839 Wayne County purchased the Black Horse Tavern, a stagecoach stop, Located here on the Chicago road, for use as a poorhouse. Early on the poorhouse accepted not only the county's indigent, but the infirm and mentally ill as well. During the late nineteenth century, the number of residents grew, and new buildings were constructed to meet the demand. In 1894 a post office opened on the grounds with the name Eloise, a name that became synonymous with what developed into a . . . — Map (db m14290) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — S730 — Norwayne Subdivision
Side 1 In 1942, the National Housing Agency designed and built the Norwayne Subdivision to provide rental housing for nearby WWII defense factory workers. It cost $12 million dollars and was then the largest public housing project in the Detroit area. Norwayne was home to employees of the Willow Run Bomber Plant, Bendix Aviation Corporation, Stinson Aircraft Corporation, and the Wayne County Asylum. It included two elementary schools, a shopping plaza, a fire station and a church. . . . — Map (db m79300) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — L0423 — Perrinsville
The village of Perrinsville was established as a small commercial center during the 1830s. Abraham and Isaac Perrin started a successful sawmill where Merriman Road now crosses the Middle Rouge. Several businesses sprang up and the community became known as Perrinsville. About 1850 the village reached its peak of activity with flourishing enterprises on Ann Arbor Trail and Merriman Road. But a railroad built during this era bypassed Perrinsville to the south; in 1871 this railroad was . . . — Map (db m33774) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — L1996 — Perrinsville School
Perrinsville began with a sawmill established by Abraham and Isaac Perrin around 1832. During the next century three one-room schools served area children. The first, a wooden school, was erected in 1833 on the Marcus Swift farm. A second, larger one, was built on the William Osband farm in 1843. This building, constructed in 1856 on land purchased from Isaac and Hannah Swift Perrin by Nankin District No. 2, was the first brick school in the township. Classes were held here until 1937 when . . . — Map (db m33766) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — John Eberts House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m66350) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — Marx Home
Built in 1862 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m66349) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — The Wyandot Indians
The Wyandot were a North American Indian people descended from the aboriginal inhabitants of the Ontario Peninsula, between present day Niagara, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan. The ancient name for more than a dozen Iriquoian speaking tribes of this region was Wendat; the French called them Huron. Hunting and fishing could not provide the economic base needed so the Wendot became intensive slash and burn farmers of maize, beans, squash, sunflowers, peas, pumpkins, melons, and tobacco. The Wendot . . . — Map (db m66259) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — Wyandotte Purple Heart Memorial
The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten Calvin Coolidge Map (db m66348) WM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — Wyandotte Vietnam Memorial
Rest easy, sleep well my brothers. Know the line has held, your job is done. Rest easy, sleep well. Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held. Peace, peace. and farewell... Richard Hollingsworth Jan. 9, 1966 • Christopher Johnson June 20, 1967 • Patrick Callahan July 8, 1967 • Cecil Hobbs Apr. 4, 1968 • Thomas Raubolt Apr. 26, 1968 • Robert Jenkins May 27, 1968 • Billy Taylor Aug. 2, 1968 • George Cunningham Sept. 24, 1968 • Henry Baldwin mar. 19, 1969 • Danny Yelley July 7, 1969 . . . — Map (db m66346) WM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — Wyandotte World War I Memorial
Erected by the Citizens of Wyandotte in Memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great World War 1914 - 1918 Edward C. Headman • Oscar H. Pietraschke • Herbert E. Czaddach • Boleslaw Gutowski • Samuel J. Frankhouse • Joseph A. Gresser • Peter G. Higgens • Felix Chojnacki • Edward Epply • Mitchel Kush • Charles Behm • Emil Nichols • Casimir Parash — Map (db m66345) WM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — Wyandotte World War II Memorial
In Memoriam Dedicated by the citizens of Wyandotte in grateful memory of those of this community who gave the last full measure of devotion in the cause of freedom Abbate, Vincent G. • Amo, Glenn Joseph • Assenmacher, Frank G. • Barber, William A. • Bardoni, Julius J. • Bartlett, Edward O, Jr. • Beattie, Robert T. • Beck, Alex J. • Behm, Charles • Bell, Carl • Bence, John W. • Berens, Edward J. • Bielawski, Stanley • Biondo, Vito • Black, Charles • Blay, Earl • Block, Robert W. • . . . — Map (db m66347) WM
106 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You


States & Provinces

Click to List


Page composed
in 748 ms.

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.