|Virginia, Waynesboro — W 160 — Early’s Last Battle|
|On the ridge west of Waynesboro occurred the last engagement of Confederate forces commanded by Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early. Portions of Maj.Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's army, including cavalry led by Maj.Gen.George A. Custer attacked and routed Confederate troops under Brig.Gen. Gabriel C. Wharton. Early and the remnants of his army retreated, leaving Sheridan in control and ending the Shenandoah Valley Campaigns. — Map (db m4238) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — Q 19 — Fishburne Military School|
|James Abbott Fishburne, an honor graduate of Washington College inspired by its president, Robert E. Lee, opened in 1879 with 24 students what eventually became Fishburne Military School. Staunton architectural firm T.J. Collins & Son designed the 1916-1922 barracks in the castellated Gothic style, the 1915 library (Virginia's second-oldest Carnegie library), and the 1940 gymnasium-administrative building. In Feb. 1919, the school adopted one of the nation's first Army Junior Reserve Officer . . . — Map (db m40897) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — Plumb House — The Valley is Lost — 1864 Campaigns|
|The Plumb House was built between 1802 and 1806 on what was then the western edge of Waynesboro. While fighting did not occur here until late in the war, the community felt its impact early on. Henry Plumb, who lived here, was mortally wounded at the First Battle of Manassas and died in July 1861. Stonewall Jackson’s army passed through Waynesboro by train on its way to the Battle of McDowell early in his famous Valley Campaign of 1862. Confederate successes during that year left Waynesboro . . . — Map (db m16649) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — Q 2 — Port Republic Road Historic District|
|This is Waynesboro's oldest intact neighborhood. It coalesced as a community about 1870, just after the Civil War, when formerly enslaved individuals moved here to work in nearby industries and on railroads. The African American residents constructed most of the buildings here between the mid-19th and mid-20th centuries. The community's Rosenwald School and Shiloh Baptist Church were both constructed in 1924. One of the earliest houses in the district, a circa 1818 dwelling, was built on . . . — Map (db m40786) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — Q-2-c — Virginia Metalcrafters|
|Virginia Metalcrafters had its first beginnings with the founding of the Waynesboro Stove Company in 1890 by William J. Loth. The company, which made ornately cast cookstoves, heaters and all accoutrements for kitchens of the period, later developed the electric Hotpoint Range. It merged with Rife Ram Pump Works, inventors in 1884 of the ram pump widely used to pump water in rural areas before electrification. In 1938, the Rife-Loth Corporation began selling finely crafted brass accessories under the name Virginia Metalcrafters. — Map (db m4031) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — W. J. Loth — 1844-1904|
|Pioneer 19th century Waynesboro industrialist.
On this site stood the home of William J. Loth, founder of the W. J. Loth Stove Company of Waynesboro, which produced coal and wood-burning stoves, and pioneered in the manufacture and sale of electric cooking ranges.
W. J. Loth also owned and operated the Brunswick Inn, a fashionable summer resort, which stood in this same block.
A native of Richmond, VA, W. J. Loth served his adopted city as mayor for three terms. — Map (db m40788) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — JF 15 — Walnut Grove|
|Archibald Stuart - Revolutionary soldier, legislator, and judge-was born here March 19, 1757, at the home of his grandfather and namesake, an early settler. The property was acquired by William A. Pratt in 1868 and G. Julian Pratt in 1900. — Map (db m40894) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — Q-2-b — Waynesboro|
|Settlers began to arrive to present day Augusta County in the 1730s and by the Revolutionary War a small hamlet existed here. By 1797, it was known as Waynesborough, for Revolutionary War hero Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne. It became a town in 1801 and was incorporated in 1834. The last battle fought in the Shenandoah Valley took place in Waynesboro on 2 March 1865, near the end of the Civil War, when Union Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan defeated Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early. Basic City . . . — Map (db m4032) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — Q-2a — Waynesboro|
|Here, on one of the first roads west of the Blue Ridge, a hamlet stood in colonial times. The Walker exploring expedition started from this vicinity in 1748. Here, in June, 1781, the Augusta militia assembled to join Lafayette in the east. A town was founded in 1797. It was established by law in 1801 and named for General Anthony Wayne. — Map (db m41328) HM|
|Virginia, Waynesboro — William H. Harman Monument|
|William H. Harman
Born Feb. 17, 1828
Killed in action at
Waynesboro Mar 2, 1865.
He was a lieutenant of a com-
pany from Augusta County
in the Mexican War; after-
wards Brig. General in the
Virginia Militia; appointed
Lieut Col. 5th Virginia Inft.
C.S.A. May 7, 1861; Col. and
A.D.C. on staff of Maj. Gen-
eral Edward Johnson.
May 17, 1862.
A Gallant Soldier. — Map (db m16645) HM|
|Virginia (Augusta County), Waynesboro — Z-111 — Nelson County / Augusta County|
|Nelson County. Nelson County was named for Thomas Nelson, Governor of Virginia from June to November, 1871. It was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. Oak Ridge, birthplace of William Cabell Rives and later the residence of Thomas Fortune Ryan, is located near Lovington, the county seat. The area of the county’s 471 square miles.
Augusta County. Augusta County was named in honor of Princess Augusta, mother of George III. It was formed from Orange County in 1738 but because of the . . . — Map (db m21701) HM|