HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Westchester County Markers
New York (Westchester County), Ardsley — Ardsley World War I Honor Roll
1914   1918 The Great World War Honor Roll Ardsley N.Y. Unveiled April 5th 1919 H.L. McCartney • A. McCartney • Ronald Campbell • Wm. A.C. Creve • F.H. Addyman • Edward J. Mussa • Edwain E. White • Michael Wilmoth • Adolph Knappe • Raffaelo Arone • Hector Campbell • John C. Wright • Louis Pascone • T. Wilmoth Jr. • John Price • Raymond Ward • Wm. C. Beacon • Lawrence Acano • Antonio Cirnulo • Luigi Tomasetti • Carmello Baiano • Howard S. Eaton • Raymond C. King • C. Lampariello • Edgar . . . — Map (db m42441) HM
New York (Westchester County), Armonk — Smith’s Tavern
Revolutionary War militia headquarters 1779. First town post office and North Castle town meeting place, 1798 – 1850. — Map (db m24582) HM
New York (Westchester County), Bedford — School House 1829
Public School Until 1912 A Museum of Local History Since 1913 — Map (db m46879) HM
New York (Westchester County), Bedford Hills — For God and Country
World War II Emil Bosse • William R. Cameron • Joseph P. Cotton, Jr. • Edward F. Drake • Salvatore Foglia • Abram Garvis • William F. Hull, 2nd • Thomas V. Pickhardt • Everett F. Rogers • Donald E. Smith • Frank P. Orso [Small plaque at top] Cpl. Ralph E. Mayers III Killed In Action South Vietnam March 9th 1969 — Map (db m24566) HM
New York (Westchester County), Briarcliff Manor — Birthplace of John L. Worden 1818-1897
Rear Admiral U.S. Navy Commanded “Monitor” against “Merrimac” Hampton Roads, Virginia, March 9, 1862 — Map (db m47278) HM
New York (Westchester County), Briarcliff Manor — Sparta Cemetery
Set apart by Col. Philipse. Graves of Rev. soldiers. Cannon fire hit tombstone. First site of Pres. Church moved to Sing Sing 1800 — Map (db m47280) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortland — 1777 Skirmish
In this area, on March 24, 1777, American troops under Lt. Col. Marinus Willett turned back 200 British invaders. — Map (db m54297) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt — House of Pierre Van Cortlandt
General George Washington with his aides slept in this house many nights while making Peekskill their headquarters in 1776, 1777 & 1778. --------------- It was the house of Pierre Van Cortlandt, member of Colonial Assembly, member of the 2nd., 3rd., and 4th. Provincial Congress, President of the Committee of Public Safety, a framer of the State Constitution, First Lieut. Governor of the State of New York, Col. Of Manor of Cortlandt Regiment. --------------- Erected by The Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m54295) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt — Upper Manor
Built in 1756 by Gertrude Beekman, daughter of Stephanus Van Cortlandt. Family hosted Washington on his visits to this area. — Map (db m54293) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — 160th Anniversary of St. Peter’s
This tablet is placed by Pierre VanCortlandt Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, on the 160th Anniversary of the erection of this church to commemorate the fact that George Washington worshipped in this building and as a tribute to the memory of Lt. Gov. Pierre VanCortlandt a pioneer member of this parish who became a church warden in 1793. A.D. 1927. — Map (db m55326) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Bear Mountain Bridge Toll House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by The United States Department of the Interior Dedicated on September 22, 2002 New York State and Town of Cortlandt — Map (db m37362) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Chaining the Hudson
Chaining the Hudson Early in the Revolutionary War, the Continental Congress realized that if the British controlled the Hudson River, they could divide the rebellious colonies. To prevent this, in march 1776, the Americans began construction of Fort Montgomery above Popolopen Creek on the west side of the Hudson River. Their work soon expanded to iclude a second fort, Fort Clinton, on the south side of the creek, and a massive iron chain that stretched across the Hudson River. Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m37381) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Countess Lucille VI
Countess Lucille VI This M-48 tank was erected by Camp Smith in honor of Chief Warrant Officer Frank J. Costanza, New York Army National Guard. Warrior and citizen soldier, he served as Post Maintenance Supervisor from 1980 to 1991. A veteran of the North Africa and Italian campaigns in World War II, he had five M-4 Sherman tanks, all named after his wife Lucille, destroyed under him by enemy action. He was the recipient of three Bronze Stars and four Purple Hearts for gallantry in action. 1992 — Map (db m37361) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — French Soldiers of the Revolutionary War
We remember these French Soldiers who gave their lives for our independence in our old St. Peter’s building years 1781 – 1782 Lieutenant de Mauvis • Jean Bonnair • Jean Joseph Paquay • Alexis Labrue • Joseph Duguin • Georges Mochl • Claude-Pierre Dumageot • Philippe Mortagne — Map (db m55327) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Heroes of the American Revolution
To the memory of the Heroes of the American Revolution 1771 – 1783 buried in this churchyard Maj. Gen. Seth Pomeroy • Col. James Thompson • Col. Samuel Drake • Lieut. Col. Gilbert Drake • Capt. Jasper Drake • Capt. Joshua Drake • Capt. Samuel Haight • Capt. James Mandeville • Lieut. Daniel Birdsall • Lieut. John Mandeville • Sgt. John Gilbert • Corp. James Croft -------------------- John Barrett • Daniel Wm. Birdsall • Isaac Briggs • John Concklin • Richard Curry • Stephen Curry • . . . — Map (db m55328) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Old Cemetery
Dates to 1752. Many Revolutionary War patriots here include 7 French soldiers and John Paulding, a captor of Major Andre. — Map (db m55332) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Old Saint Peter’s Episcopal ChurchDedicated Year 1767
Services in this building were attended by General George Washington at times when he stayed nearby. This building was also used as an Army Hospital by French General Rochambeau before and after The Battle of Yorktown Virginia 1781-2. This site is administered by the Parish of Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church 137 North Division Street, Peekskill, NY   914-737-6312 On National Register of Historical Places — Map (db m55329) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Old St. Peters
Services began in 1767. Gen. Washington reportedly read morning prayer here. Was used as a hospital for French troops, 1781-82. — Map (db m55325) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — 6 — Pomeroy
In 1660 Medad Pomeroy accepted an offer of tools, an anvil shaped like this replica and land in exchange for opening a blacksmith shop in Northampton, MA. That anvil was passed through many generations of Pomeroy blacksmiths and gunsmiths, becoming a symbol for the family. Seth Pomeroy, grandson of Medad, was born May 20, 1706. A skilled blacksmith and gunsmith, he was one of the owners of the original anvil. Well known for his honesty, integrity, strong religious convictions and patriotism, . . . — Map (db m62005) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Red Schoolhouse
Erected in 1772 as a Baptist Church. Became one- room school in 1814. In continuous use until 1935, and from 1952 to 1972. — Map (db m55314) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Saint Peter’s Churchyard & Old Van Cortlandtville Cemetery
Saint Peter’s Churchyard Church built in 1767 and Old Van Cortlandtville Cemetery adjoining on the southeast In this burying-ground are interred Forty Four known soldiers in the war of the American Revolution. There is a monument to John Paulding erected in 1827 by the City of New York which has care under the endowment. — Map (db m55331) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Seth Pomeroy & Jeremiah Drake
In this churchyard or the adjoining old cemetery is buried in an unknown grave Seth Pomeroy the first Commander of the American Army As senior Brigadier General in February 1775 the churchyard and primarily the plot of Jeremiah Drake a vestryman of the church in 1766 and a soldier in the American Revolution are maintained by the income of a foundation administered by Saint Peter’s Church. — Map (db m55330) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Site of St. Peter’s Church
This stone and tablet has been erected by the Cornelia Beekman Chapter Jr. Sons and Daughters of the Revolution November 28, 1914, with the consent of the rector, wardens and the vestrymen of St. Peter’s Church, to mark the place where this original St. Peter’s Church has stood ever since it was consecrated August 9, 1767. — Map (db m55333) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Taylor Tavern
Site. Built in 1750. New York – Albany Stagecoach stop. Major John Andre held here on Sept. 25, 1780. Later Dusenbury Tavern. — Map (db m55334) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — The Van Cortlandtville SchoolCirca 1772
was listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1989 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 7, 1989 Van Cortlandtville Historical Society 2004 — Map (db m55324) HM
New York (Westchester County), Cortlandt Manor — Van Cortlandtville World War Memorial
Erected in honor of the men Van Cortlandtville who served in the World War 1917 – 1919 Herbert Booth                   U.S.N. Rowland M. Donnelly         U.S.A. Stephen E. Donnelly         U.S.A. George H. Fowler            U.S.A. Reuben J. Frazier             U.S.A. Chester A. Gilbert            U.S.M. Lewis M. Gilbert              U.S.N. Thomas L. Gilbert            U.S.N. Lester M. McCoy              U.S.N. Harold D. O’Dell              U.S.A. Charles T. Scott               U.S.N. . . . — Map (db m55335) HM
New York (Westchester County), Dobbs Ferry — Dobbs Ferry Memorial Park
This Park Is Dedicated To The Men And Women Of Dobbs Ferry Who Served Their Country In The Armed Forces In Tmes Of National Emergency Mayor & Trustees   1959 — Map (db m42446) HM
New York (Westchester County), Dobbs Ferry — Dobbs Ferry Veterans Memorial
Erected In Memory Of Those Who Died Serving Our Country World War I April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918 Edward J. Condon John C. Eberspacher Emil Lang Paul Schlutow Michael Zanni World War II December 7, 1941 – September 2, 1945 William B. Arnard • Herbert Bachant • Herbert F. Bernhardt • Arthur V. Bohlinger • Louis J. Bonadies • Richard Burleigh • Joseph S. Carlo • Kenneth J. Frasca • Franklin C. French • Wayne Friberg • William E. Gamerota • Richard G. . . . — Map (db m42444) WM
New York (Westchester County), Dobbs Ferry — Willow Point
Willow Point On this site the ferry service which gives this village its name was begun by the family of John Dobbs, who settled here in 1698. It was operated by his son William, who lived here at Willow Point, and later by his grandson, Abraham, until 1759. After that, several other families operated a ferry until well into the 20th century. Dedicated in their honor by the Village of Dobbs Ferry, July 4, 1983 Mayor Rolon W. Reed Trustees Gisela S. Knight • Joseph Bruce D'Adamo • . . . — Map (db m42443) HM
New York (Westchester County), Eastchester — Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial
Eastchester – Tuckahoe – Bronxville Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial This memorial is erected to honor the memory and courage of the soldiers, sailors and airmen of our commumity who valiantly sacrificed their lives for fellow soldiers and their country Dedicated June 13, 2009 Supervisor Anthony S. Colavita Councilwoman Vicki Ford Councilwoman Sheila Marcotte Councilman Michael Cahalin Councilman Christine Doody Doherty Pat Pilenza Builder   Peter F. . . . — Map (db m42522) HM
New York (Westchester County), Eastchester — Eastchester Memorial Park
Memorial Park In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice In The Defense of Our Country The United States of Eastchester America Dedicated October 23, 1972 [ small plaque ] Presented To The People of Eastchester by the President of the United States To honor those whose sacrifices are remembered here "We honor not only their memory but also the principles of justice and freedom for which they gave their lives." Richard Nixon October 23, 1972 . . . — Map (db m42507) HM
New York (Westchester County), Eastchester — Gold Star Mothers Memorial
Gold Star Mothers Memorial This memorial is erected To keep in honored and prayerful memory all Gold Star Mothers whose children served and died in wars for this great nation. Dedicated September 24, 2006 Supervisor Anthony S. Colavita Councilwoman Vicki Ford Councilman Rocco Cacciola Councilwoman Sheila Marcotte Councilman Michael Cahalin Pat Pilenza Builder   Peter F. Gaito Designer — Map (db m42509) HM
New York (Westchester County), Elmsford — Elmsford Veterans Memorial
They Died That We Might Live They Rest In Honored Glory In Honor Of The Men and Women Of Elmsford Who Served Their Country In World Wars I and II Korean War Vietnam War and War on Terror 1950   Korean War   1953 George Brown 8/18/1950 1957   Vietnam War   1975 Ronald McCracken 9/17/1966 Anthony Pino 7/28/1968 Norman Paulsen 9/25/1968 2001   War on Terror Michael Arciola 2/15/2005 Iraq 1917   World War I   1918 Butler, Pierce Johnson, Walter 1941   World War II . . . — Map (db m42372) WM
New York (Westchester County), Elmsford — Isaac Van Wart
Isaac Van Wart One of Major Andre's Captors Sept. 23, 1780 Elder of this Church Elmsford Citizen 1758-1828 Buried Here — Map (db m42373) HM
New York (Westchester County), Elmsford — Isaac Van Wart Memorial
[ north face ] Here Repose the mortal remains of Isaac Van Wart an Elder of the Greenburgh Church who died on the 25th of May 1828 in 69th Year of his Age [ east face ] Vincit Amor Patriage Nearly half a Century before this Monument was built The Conscript Fathers of America had in the Senate Chamber voted that Isaac Van Wart was a Faithful Patriot, one in whom the Love of Country was Invincible and this tomb bears testimony that the Record . . . — Map (db m42375) HM
New York (Westchester County), Harrison — Merritt HillSpirit of 1776
This historic site is Merritt Hill which marks one of the actions in the battle of White Plains on October 28, 1776. During the attack on Chatterton Hill, the British marched up the road to Connecticut (Lake street) to attack the left flank of Washington’s defense assembled on Hatfield Hill (opposite Merritt Hill). General Heath, under General Washington, had placed Colonel Malcolm, his N.Y. Regiment and Lt. Fenno with one field piece to station Merritt Hill in defense of Hatfield Hill. . . . — Map (db m32027) HM
New York (Westchester County), Hastings-on-Hudson — Battle of Edgar's Lane
Sept. 30, 1778 Continental Dragoons Under Maj. Henry Lee killed 23 Hessians on a Marauding Expedition. Battle Waged Here to Ravine — Map (db m39353) HM
New York (Westchester County), Hastings-on-Hudson — Draper Park
Memorial to Dr. John William Draper, 1811-1882 Chemist, Philosopher, Historian First Photographed the Human Face, 1839 — Map (db m39351) HM
New York (Westchester County), Hastings-on-Hudson — 11 — Westchester CountyHistoric New York
The rugged shore of the Hudson River and the rocky hills north of Manhattan did not encourage early settlement. Patents were issued in 1639 to Jonas Bronck (Bronx) and in 1646 to Adriaen Van der Donck (Yonkers). After the overthrow of Dutch rule in 1664, manorial patents were issued for Van Cortlandt, Phillipsburg, Pelham, Fordham and Scarsdale manors on which tenants paid a yearly quitrent. In the eighteenth century these were subdivided, but large landholdings prevailed. In the revolution . . . — Map (db m31283) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — Bedford HouseOn Route 22 near Katonah — Historic New York
John Jay (1745 – 1829), statesman, jurist, first Chief Justice of the United States, and Governor of New York State for six years, built Bedford House in 1800. It remained his home for the last twenty-nine years of his life. Jay represented New York in the Continental Congresses and helped to draft the first State Constitution. He was one of the Commissioners who arranged the Treaty of Paris of 1783, ending the American Revolution; and he negotiated with Great Britain the famed . . . — Map (db m24691) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — Honor Roll
World War I Candie Angelo M. Jones Frederick B. Kelly James J. Russell J. Stanley World War II Bernardo Pompei M. Booth Jasper W. Buonassissi Michael Diamanti Albert G. Ferguson Charles E. Jr. Fowler Robert L. 3rd Knudsen Ellwood B. Lorzer Douglas D. Miller John J. Jr. Olmstead Barnes Rosen Walter B. Stapleton James P. Towey Joseph M. Katonah Post 1575 May 30, 1949 — Map (db m24667) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — John Jay HomesteadState Historic Site
The United States’ first Chief Justice, Jay, retired here after drafting New York’s first constitution and serving as President of the Continental Congress and Minister to Spain. * Revolutionary War Heritage Trail Sites The Revolutionary War Heritage Trail links historic sites that tell the story of New York’s decisive role in America’s fight for independence. — Map (db m24699) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — Katonah Civil War Memorial
[ East plaque ] In Memoriam Capt. James Mckeel Capt. John W. Sweetman And Members of Co. A 4th N.Y. Vol. Heavy Art’y Who Enlisted From Katonah, NY to Serve During The Civil War of 1861 – 1865 James C. Bogan Franklin Dingee Oscar L. Dearborn Leonidas E. Gallahue Edgar Hitt Rufus Hitt Patrick Hughes B.F. Lockwood J.T. Lockwood James H. Lyon Robert A. Reynolds Leonard H. Secor Clark See Harrison Totten Stark V. Totten Albert Tucker ----- erected by Private J.T. Lockwood Of Co. . . . — Map (db m24572) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 7 — The Barn ComplexJohn Jay Homestead
Barns are essential to a working farm. The main barn dates to the early 19th century. It was originally used for housing livestock, threshing grain, and storing hay. Sheds were added later to both sides of the barn and used to store tools, farm equipment, and feed. They also housed animals. A three-stall, draft horse barn built between 1870 and 1885 is visible through the bull’s paddock behind the main barn. The smaller stone cow barn to the right of the main barn may have been . . . — Map (db m24707) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 13 — The Beech Allee (Avenue) and Stone FencesJohn Jay Homestead
When Jay assembled his 750 acres by 1800, much of the land had already been cleared indiscriminately by tenant farmers. Stone, however, was abundant and it was put to good use. Jay spent 15 years encircling his property with stone fences and an additional decade dividing it into lots still visible in the newly reforested landscape. This magnificent allee of European and copper beech trees was planted in the second half of the 19th century by John jay II. To the right of the allee, along . . . — Map (db m24714) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 4 — The Brick LotJohn Jay Homestead
When John Jay began planning his Westchester farm in the 1790s, he was fortunate to find a source of clay on his property which he used to make the brick for constructing a home and various farm buildings. Archeological testing has identified the manufacturing site where the bricks were formed, dried, stacked, and baked in kilns. During testing, the site of a temporary camp for Native Americans, which existed well before the arrival of European settlers, was located. Thousands of bricks, . . . — Map (db m24704) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 12 — The Carriage Drive and RoadwaysJohn Jay Homestead
The original carriage drive entered the estate from the Post Road one mile north of the current Homestead driveway. In the mid-19th century, an allee (avenue) of European and copper beech trees was planted along the drive below the house. These grand trees still stand at the bottom of the hill along a restored section of the drive. Enjoy a walk down the sloping lane to experience this part of the property. The Homestead’s current entrance road was built in the 1960’s by New York State . . . — Map (db m24713) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 5 — The Farm Manager’s CottageJohn Jay Homestead
The brick cottage was built ca. 1800 for Jay’s first farm manager, Major Samuel Lyon. Lyon oversaw such daily activities on the farm as: ditching and draining land; building and maintaining fences; plowing, planting, and harvesting fields; and tending the orchards. Like others in his economic position, John Jay employed tenant farmers who carried out the work under the manager’s supervision. In return for their services, Jay provided them with cottages and small gardens, and he subsidized . . . — Map (db m24705) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 3 — The Glasshouse Complex and Herb GardenJohn Jay Homestead
The design of the herb garden located here among the ruins of the old glasshouse yard is based on typical 18th- and 19th-century American and English gardens. Please enter and explore. An herb garden brochure is available in a box by the potting shed door. Two glasshouse foundations form the north and east borders of the garden plan. From their construction early in the 19th century, these heated glasshouses were used year-round to grow vegetables, fruit, and flowers from seeds, cuttings, . . . — Map (db m24702) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 2 — The Homestead FarmJohn Jay Homestead
This property has seen many changes. Over 2,200 years ago, Native Americans lived and hunted here. As the family’s tenanted farm in the 1700s, it produced wheat, rye, corn, and other grains. After Jay’s retirement and the development of the farm in the early 1800s, fruit orchards and mills were added. Jay’s descendants further diversified the farm by producing dairy products, flowers, and vegetables for the New York City markets only 50 miles away. In the 20th century, chicken farming was . . . — Map (db m24701) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — The John Jay Potting ShedsJohn Jay Homestead
After the American Civil War, the nation experienced tremendous economic growth in agriculture and industry. In the 1870s, the refrigerator car was introduced, and farmers expanded their market opportunities. Farming became big business. Between 1865 and 1890, retail trade in flowers, or floriculture, began to expand. After 1890, the industry boomed, and by 1929, New York State led the nation in flower and plant production. Located 50 miles north of New York City and near rail lines, the Jay . . . — Map (db m24703) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 10 — The North LawnJohn Jay Homestead
From the top of this hill, the highest point on the property, much of the original Jay estate could be seen. During the early 1900s, the jays built a grass tennis court here. The court was later used for croquet. Across the fields to the south of the main house on another promontory once stood the 1852 home of John Jay’s grandson, John Jay II. In 1925, Eleanor Jay Iselin, the great-great-granddaughter of John Jay built a children’s playhouse for her son Arthur Iselin, Jr. Today, a . . . — Map (db m24710) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 6 — The Organization of the FarmJohn Jay Homestead
John Jay began planning his farm soon after he amassed the 750 acres by inheritance and purchase in the 1780s. In 1832, William Jay made several improvements to the Jay farm. He enlarged the cow barn, renovated the main barn, had an old barn removed, and began construction on a new one. Many changes to the farm during this period were the result of William’s experimentation with silage (winter animal feed), drainage, horticulture, and raising livestock. In 1862, John Jay’s grandson . . . — Map (db m24706) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 9 — The Schoolhouse and Homestead LawnJohn Jay Homestead
From this vantage point, the sloping back lawn of the main house is visible. At the top of the hill and to your left, is a stone schoolhouse built between 1826 and 1828 by John Jay and his son William for William’s young children. In this back lawn area, to the right of the schoolhouse is the family’s pet cemetery. Other early structures located closer to the house and to the right of this sign included a woodshed, several wells, and privies. Still visible are the foundations of two icehouses. — Map (db m24709) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 8 — The Stable CourtyardJohn Jay Homestead
The coachman’s house on your right and carriage barn on your left were built between 1801 and 1802. gated stone fences connected the two buildings and created a courtyard where the coaches and horses could be cared for and prepared for use. The second floor of the coachman’s house initially had both a hay loft and living quarters for the coachman. The lower level had stalls for Jay’s carriage and riding horses and ponies. The carriage barn accommodated the Jay’s coaches, carriage . . . — Map (db m24708) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 14 — The Sundial and Fountain GardensJohn Jay Homestead
The gardens at the Homestead pay homage to John Jay’s love of nature and to the pleasure that the Jay family found on the grounds surrounding their home. This garden combines designs found in family gardens from the early 19th through the 2oth centuries. The Bedford Garden Club and staff from the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation began developing this garden in 1969. The garden, completed in 1983, is a community project, maintained by the Bedford Garden Club. . . . — Map (db m24715) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 11 — The Terrace GardenJohn Jay Homestead
In numerous Jay family photographs, the terrace appears as an active lawn and garden area for family gatherings. The terrace garden was designed in 1924 in conjunction with the addition of the west wing of the house. The Rusticus Garden Club began to take care of the terrace garden as a community volunteer project in 1969. After the original plans were found in the Homestead archives in 1992, the club undertook the garden’s restoration and continues to maintain it through volunteer efforts and fund-raising activities. — Map (db m24711) HM
New York (Westchester County), Katonah — 1 — Welcome to John Jay HomesteadState Historic Site
In 1801, after a distinguished career in public service, John Jay retired to Bedford where until his death in 1829, he enjoyed spending time with his family and improving his farm. Four succeeding generations of the Jay family resided here until 1953, creating a comfortable home and profitable farm. A one-mile, self-guided walking tour of the property begins here. It takes about one hour to cover its circular route. Follow the path indicated on the map to your right to learn about the Jay’s farm, its buildings, and history. — Map (db m24700) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mamaroneck — Sept. 23, 1661
Nearby on a large flat rock next to Mamaroneck River, John Richbell purchased Mamaroneck from the Siwanoy Indian Chief Wappaquewam. — Map (db m32019) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mamaroneck — Skirmish of Heathcote Hill
Gen. Washington sent 750 men to attack 400 Queen’s Rangers encamped here in the pre-dawn Oct. 22, 1776 — Map (db m32017) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mohegan Lake — Mohegan Lake School World War I Memorial
Erected By the Alumni Of The School to the Memory Of C.F. Chamberlain   '06   Cadet Garnett Noyes   '06   Cadet Percy F. Burrage   '08   Cadet Major Raymond Moore Jr.   '14   Cadet Capt. Harry M. Schaper   '14   Cadet Capt. Perry Ross   '14   Cadet Sidney E. Prindle   '14   Cadet Major Ivan Wearne   '14   Cadet George C. Charde   '16   Cadet Boys of the Mohegan Lake School Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice For Their Country During the World War — Map (db m37360) HM
New York (Westchester County), Montrose — Kennedy House
stood on this site. In 1777 Alexander Hamilton lay ill here for 2 weeks. The court martial that tried General Lee met here July 15, 1778. — Map (db m47277) HM
New York (Westchester County), Montrose — Kings Ferry
This was the original site of this river crossing used in colonial days. Moved during the Revolution to the area of Fort Lafayette. — Map (db m47275) HM
New York (Westchester County), Montrose — Post Hannock House
Owner operated Kings Ferry 1664, Colonel Livingston’s Headquarters, 1781. Washington presented medals to captors of Major Andre here in 1782. — Map (db m47276) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Kisco — Christopher Columbus1492 – 1992
We, the Italian American Club of Northern Westchester, Inc. and contributing organizations, families, and individuals present this monument to the People of Mount Kisco, in observance of the 500th anniversary of Columbus’ discovery of the New World. The monument has been erected to symbolize that as Americans, we are an immigrant society. Sponsors Antonio & Francesca Bueti & Family • C & T Construction Corp. • Circolo Daniel Vinci • Richard A. Flynn, County Legislator • Foro Dante, . . . — Map (db m24505) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Kisco — Mount Kisco Veterans Memorial
Korean War Plaque [ far left panel ] 1950 – 1953 The Village of Mount Kisco Honors The Men and Women Of This Community Who Served In The United States Armed Forces During The Korean War World War I Plaque [ left side ] 1917 – 1918 The Village of Mount Kisco Honors the Men From This Locality Who Served In the Armed Forces of the United States During The World War William Henry Adams • Frank Allmond • Reese Denny Alsop • Catello Amato • Rocco . . . — Map (db m25440) WM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Kisco — The Old North Castle Church
On this site St. Georges Church (“the Old North Castle Church”) was erected in 1761 by the generosity of St. George Talbot, Esq. of New York City and by the missionary zeal of the Rev. James Wetmore of Grace Church, Rye. Charles Haight, Esq, donated the land. This Church stood until 1819 and was used during the Revolution as a hospital by the American forces after the Battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776, and as a British base for Colonel Tarleton's attack on Pound Ridge and . . . — Map (db m24471) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Kisco — United Methodist Church of Mount Kisco
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m25616) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Vernon — Glover’s Brigade Encampment
On the adjacent hillside “Glover’s Brigade” of the Continental Army camped October 17, 1776, engaging in the Battle at Pelham Manor the following day. — Map (db m32025) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Vernon — In Memory of the Underhills
In memory of the Underhills who lived, worshiped, and died near here. They were the descendants of Nathanial son of Captain John Underhill who arrived at Boston in 1630. — Map (db m35852) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Vernon — Patriots of the American Revolution
In memory of the Patriots of the American Revolution who lie buried in this churchyard. Hezekiah Davis • George Hamilton • Captain Gilbert Lyons • Major Samuel Pell • Colonel David I. Pell • Philip Pell • Comfort Sands • Lieutenant Daniel Searing • Captain Charles Turnbull • Captain Moore • Stephen Ward • Isaac Ward • and many unknown Erected by Bronx Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 30, 1924 — Map (db m35848) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Vernon — Saint Paul’s Protestant Episcopal Church
This church stands on the Ancient Village Green of Eastchester, a General Training Ground and Election Place in Colonial Days and Enlisting Headquarters for Revolutionary Soldiers. The First Meeting House, erected on the Green North of this Church 1692-1699, adopted the worship of the Church of England 1702. This Church, erected 1761-1765, was used as a Military Hospital during the American Revolution; Converted into a Court House 1787; Incorporated 1787; Reopened as a Church 1788; . . . — Map (db m32046) HM
New York (Westchester County), Mount Vernon — St. Paul’s Church, EastchesterNational Historic Site
St. Paul’s Church was founded in the new settlement of Eastchester in 1665. The present building, begun in 1763, served for a time as Hessian troop quarters during the Revolutionary War. Completed about 1790, it has been restored to its appearance at that date. It is one of the fine surviving architectural monuments of the renaissance revival in our country. On the town green was held the election of October 29, 1733. Famous for its connection with the patriot printer, John Peter Zenger, and . . . — Map (db m32029) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Castle — Joseph T. Miller
Joseph T. Miller 1903 – 1975 Town Clerk of North Castle 1940 – 1975 This park is set aside in his memory in tribute to his many years of devoted loving service to the citizens of this town — Map (db m24458) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Castle — Mile Square
North Castle’s Earliest Residential Subdivision. Laid out by St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church 1850 — Map (db m24467) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Castle — North Castle Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m24468) WM
New York (Westchester County), North Castle — North Castle World War I Memorial
In Honor of the Men of the Township of North Castle Who Answered Their Country’s Call In the Great World War 1917 – 1919 Lester Abrams • Frank R. Adams • Sidney Barnshaw • Arthur F. Bartlett • George P. Bennett • Leon H. Bennett • Frank Bradbury, Jr. • Clarence Brown • Ernest Brown • Nelson Brown • Joseph Carenski • Charles H. Caston • Charles G. Clark • Leonard A. Collins • T. Lester Cox • Antonio Curcuroto • Carmelo DeAgostino • Joseph De Marto • Samuel Donnelly • Chester . . . — Map (db m24470) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Castle — North Castle World War II Monument
Dedicated to the Heroic Men and Women Of North White Plains in the Town of North Castle, New York Who Served Their Country in World War II And in Loving Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice. Abele, Jacob • Ackerly, Charles Jr. • Ackerman, Theodore • Ackerman, Walter • Allevi, Cesari • Allevi, Roger • Anderson, Wesley • Barden, James Eugene • Bates, Arthur • Bates, Donald • Bates, Harold • Bates, Herbert • Battistelli, Joseph • Battistelli, Mc Kinley • * Beaton, Edward • Beck, . . . — Map (db m24457) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Castle — This Flame of Freedom
This Flame of Freedom Donated To the Town of North Castle by North Castle Post 1097 American Legion In Memory of Those Who Perished In the Service of Their Country In All the Wars Erected by Town of North Castle And Dedicated on the 30th Day of May 1969 — Map (db m24469) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Salem — North Salem World War I Memorial
Erected by the Citizens of The Town of North Salem dedicated to those who served their country in 1914 The World War 1918 John F. O’Ryan Major General 27 Division • H. Francis Jaekel Major 106 U.S. Infantry • Louis Fancher Capt. M.B. Gen. Staff • Floyd Y. Keeler Capt. M.B. Gen. Staff • Donald T. MacPhail Capt. Medical Corps • William S. Welch 1st Lieut. Air Service • George L. Hanshaw Ensign U.S. Navy Sergeants Henry Camilli • Romaine L. Lenz • George A. Smith Corporals . . . — Map (db m24509) HM
New York (Westchester County), North Salem — North Salem World War II Memorial
1941 Town of North Salem, N.Y. 1945 In Honor of Our Citizens Who Served In the Armed Forces Of The United States During World War II Abate, Ugo • Alexander, Charles J. • Andrews, William • Biel, Leonard • Bocchino, James • Brearton, James L. • Brearton, William E. • Broadhurst, Kenneth • Bulkley, Andrew D. • Burns, Ruby P. • Burns, William E. • Butler, Charles • Butler, George B. • Campbell, Douglas H. • Castagner, Victor F. • Chorsky, Howard A. • Cleary, Robert • Cochran, . . . — Map (db m24683) WM
New York (Westchester County), Ossining — Union Hotel
Union Hotel stood on this corner about 1800 to 1890. Owned by Enoch Crosby Jr., later by Simeon M. Tompkins. Stage stop N.Y.–Albany & Somers. — Map (db m34686) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — America’s Most Famous Cannon
[ East face ] The American Revolution 1775 • • • 1783 “America’s Most Famous Cannon” Sept. 21, 1780 • John Jacob Peterson of African descent • and Moses Sherwood of Van Cortlandt 3rd West, Militia took it to Croton Pt. and fired on the • Vulture • causing it to abandon Major Andre the British spy who was captured trying to escape through American territory. • 1952 • Presented to Peekskill Museum by Paul I. Bleakley • [ North face ] Patriot Moses Sherwood . . . — Map (db m23356) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Camp Smith
New York National Guard training camp established 1882. Contains 1900 acres. Named for Alfred E. Smith, Governor of New York. — Map (db m20722) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Camp Smith
New York National Guard training camp established 1882. Contains 1900 acres. Named for Alfred E. Smith, Governor of New York. — Map (db m26143) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Cortlandt Civil War Monument
[ south side ] To The Memory Of The Soldiers and Sailors From The Town of Cortlandt Who Served in the Civil War 1861 - 1865 [ bronze plaque on north side ] Erected by The Citizens of The Town of Cortlandt Through the Efforts of the Veterans Monument Association And All Organizations Affiliated With The Grand Army Of The Republic [ battle names inscribed on the column ] Fort Fisher • Cold Harbor • Wilderness • Appomattox • Cedar Creek . . . — Map (db m37082) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Jan Peeck Bridge
Named to commemorate the place where Jan Peeck, Dutch trader, 1940-1950 met Indians to trade for furs. — Map (db m44864) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Peekskill F.D.N.Y. Memorial
[ West face ] Dedicated to the Memory of the Men of F.D.N.Y. Engine 54 Ladder 4 Battalion 9 Battalion Chief Edward Geraghty – Battalion 9 Captain David Wooley – Ladder 4 Lieutenant Daniel O’Callaghan – Ladder 4 Firefighter Michael Brennan – Ladder 4 Firefighter Paul Gill – Engine 54 Firefighter Jose Guadalupe – Engine 54 Firefighter Michael Haub – Ladder 4 Firefighter Joseph Angilini, Jr. – Ladder 4 Firefighter Carl . . . — Map (db m22622) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Peekskill Veterans Memorial
The City Of Peekskill Honors Those Who Gave Their Lives In Service To Our Country [ far left panel ] World War I Roy E. Adams • Cortlandt B. Baxter • James W. Bell • Lorne B. Craig • Matthew J. Cunningham • Clarence T. Curry • Cornelius Daley • Rowland M. Donnelly • Stephen E. Donnelly • Thomas E. Gain • David C. Griffith • William J. Hald • Perley M. Hopkins • Joseph A. Kennedy • Louis Maietta • Lawrence McGriskin • Raymond Moore, Jr. • Matthew F. Olstein • Cornelius R. . . . — Map (db m37084) WM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Peekskill World War I Monument
To The Memory Of Those From Peekskill Who Served In The World War 1917 – 1918 Abbotts James F • Acker Charles R • Acker Clarence T • Ackerman Henry • Ackerman James • Adams Roy E • Augustowaski L • Alimonti Salvatore • Allen Frederick M • Allen Graham M • Allison Elmer R • Allison Horatio C • Aloisio Antonio • Ames Griffith S • Aray Clinton • Archer Bertrand J • Archer Ernest T • Aschenbrenner R • Astrab Harry • Aufuer Patsy • Austin James S • Austin Mary J • Backus Arthur • . . . — Map (db m37130) HM
New York (Westchester County), Peekskill — Teachers Park
Presented to the people of Peekskill and dedicated to the teachers in the public, private and church schools by Chester A. Smith and Edith M. Smith in appreciation of their father, Louis H. Smith for thirty-five years a teacher in the public schools of Westchester and Putnam Counties and of their mother Abbie E. Smith, for thirty- five years a teacher in the church school of the First Methodist Church of Peekskill. 1 9 4 1 — Map (db m22632) HM
New York (Westchester County), Pelham — Colonel Philip Pell1753 - 1811
The grounds of the Pelham Memorial High School were part of the farm belonging to Colonel Philip Pell 1753 – 1811 Judge Advocate Continental Army Member of the New York State Assembly Regent of the University of the State of New York Surrogate of Westchester County, N.Y. Delegate to the Continental Congress. ---------- The date stone 1750 was taken from his homestead. ---------- This tablet is presented to the town of Pelham in memory of Mary Sargent Gause October 15, 1938 — Map (db m32023) HM
New York (Westchester County), Pelham — The Old Boston Road
Originally an Indian trail New York City to Boston First traveled by a post rider Jan. 13, 1673 making the round trip in one month. First stage route established in 1732. Site of British encampment Battle of Pelham Oct. 18, 1776. — Map (db m32022) HM
New York (Westchester County), Pelham Manor — “Pelham Dale”
Built before 1776 Oldest house in Pelham Home of Col. David J. Pell American Patriot N.Y. State Historical Marker Map (db m32015) HM
New York (Westchester County), Pelham Manor — Battle of Pelham1776     1976
Bicentennial of the Battle of Pelham October 18, 1776 Knapp Chapter, NSDAR honors Col. John Glover Col. Joseph Read     Col. William Shepard Col. Loammi Baldwin and their 750 Continentals. Their courageous action delayed Gen. William Howe’s British invasion and enabled General George Washington to move the Continental Army to White Plains. — Map (db m32020) HM
New York (Westchester County), Pelham Manor — This Mile Stone
was originally erected in 1804 to mark the distance of 17 miles from New York City Hall by the way of The New Boston Post Road. This monument was re-erected by the Daughters of American Revolution Knapp Chapter Pelham New York April 30, 1937 — Map (db m32026) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Abraham Bush Homestead
[ upper plaque ] 1750 Abraham Bush Homestead Reputed Headquarters Of General Israel Putnam Marked By The Ruth Lyon Bush Chapter Daughters Of The American Revolution 1968 [ lower plaque ] Bush Homestead Headquarters General Israel Putnam 1777 – 1778 A Landmark of the Revolutionary War Acquired by Port Chester Park Commission 1924 — Map (db m38312) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Christopher Columbus
Christopher Columbus [ back ] With Faith and Perseverance Erected By The Columbus Day Committee Through the Generosity Of The People Of Port Chester, N.Y. Presented to the Community of Port Chester, N.Y. To Whom It Is Dedicated October 12, A.D. 1950 — Map (db m38726) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Historic Village of Port Chester
Historic Village of Port Chester in the State of New York County of Westchester Town of Rye A border community with the State of Connecticut on Long Island Sound. Settled as the Town of Rye in 1660, the area became known as "The Saw Pits". The name was derived from the process of making planks used in ship building. On March 11, 1837, the settlement of "The Saw Pits" was renamed "Port Chester". On May 14, 1868, it was incorporated into a village. "Port" is another word for haven. . . . — Map (db m38219) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — In Memory of Newell Rising
This Ten-Inch Shell From The U S S Maine Unveiled at Port Chester, NY July 4, 1912 In Memory Of Newell Rising A Townsman And of All Who Lost Their Lives With Him in The Destruction Of That Ship February 12, 1898 — Map (db m38220) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Port Chester Spanish American War Monument
1896   1902 In Proud Memory Of Port Chester Men Who Volunteered in the War Of Their Country During the War With Spain and in the Phillipines [ north bronze tablet ] Frank M. Berrien • Howard F. Carpenter • Marshall T. Chevers • James S. Clifford • Arthur Close • Jacob Cohen • Albert E. Comstock • Jacob W. Cooper • Walter J. Corliss * • John E. Deacon • William Derivan • Frank J. Dower • John J. Flynn • Jacob Fuesguss * • Arthur Goodsell • Robert Grant • Martin Hanlan • . . . — Map (db m38221) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Port Chester Vietnam War Memorial
Port Chester Remembers Vietnam War Terrance Cather • Frank R. Howe • John P. Larkin • Nicholas Garofola • Frank Jamilski • Joseph Smith And Those Who Served — Map (db m38314) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Port Chester World War I Monument
In Everlasting Memory Of The Living And The Dead Who Served Their Country In The World War [ Five benches surround the monument. A total of 1,021 names ares listed on the bronze plaques. The following 25 names have a star indicating they made the supreme sacrifice. ] Arcudi, Carmine • Bologna, Joseph • Breck, S. Perry • Burns, Roy L. • Cerva, Frank • Connolly, Harold J. • Daur, Francis J. • DeFabio, Nicholas • Dehmer, Frederick W. • Dowd, William A. • Ecay, Elmer S. • . . . — Map (db m38217) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Port Chester World War II Memorial
In Memoriam To The Eight Willow St. Boys of Port Chester Who Gave Their Lives In World War II Lt. Alphonse Guardino • S/Sgt. John P. Ribuffo • Sgt. Daniel J. Liberati • Cpl. Joseph Carlucci • Pfc. Orlando Gabriele • Pvt. Domenick P. Cicatelli • Pvt. Dan Donato Mazzola • Pvt. Joseph Porchi DAV 49 [ south side ] A Tribute To Our Heroes Heroes Are They! Their Flesh Is Only Dead! For Them Every Day Let's Bow Our Heads! And Forever Remembered Shall Be The Humble . . . — Map (db m38215) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Rye Soldiers Memorial
To The Union Defence Committee of the Town of Rye Who Pledged Their Honor To Sustain the Government And Ensure a Successful Outcome of the War of the Rebellion — Map (db m38718) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — African Cemetery 1860-1964Westchester County Tricentennial 1683-1983
Donated by Underhill and Elizabeth Halstead for use as a cemetery for black residents of Rye Town and Black Civil War Veterans — Map (db m48538) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — Boston Post Road
This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763 Their locations were fixed by Benjamin Franklin the Deputy Postmaster General who for that purpose drove a chaise with a distance recorder over the route. Restored to this its original position June 1st, 1927, by the Village of Rye. 'Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set.'(Proverbs XXII Verse 28.) — Map (db m34587) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — Boston Post Road Historic District
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This District possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1993. National Park Service United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m34540) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — Old Rye Fort 1675
On this site stood the stone residence of Peter Disbrow, designated by the Rye colonists as the "Rye Fort" when it was offered for protection from the Indian attack during "King Philip's War" of 1675. Around 1728 the present frame (North) portion of the House was added, and for 140 years it served as an inn under two names, Frances Doughty's "Sign of the Sun" and later "Van Sicklin's" In 1868-72 the Stone portion was replaced with the present South wing of the house to serve as the . . . — Map (db m34485) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — Playland Amusement Park
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance In Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1987 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m64265) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — Rye Meeting House
c. 1835, Religious Society of Friends, Quaker. The Founder of Quakerism, George Fox, who landed at Rye in 1678, experienced that God speaks to the condition of each person through an Inner Light. — Map (db m34520) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — The Purdy Burying Ground
Pre-Revolutionary place of interment of one of Rye's early families. This tract of land was purchased by Joseph Purdy from John Budd in 1685. — Map (db m34583) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763
(Missing) Their locations were fixed by Benjamin Franklin the Deputy Postmaster General who for that purpose drove a chaise with a distance recorder over the route. Restored to this its original position June 1st, 1927, by the Village of Rye. 'Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set.'(Proverbs XXII Verse 28.) — Map (db m34584) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye — This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763
Their locations were fixed by Benjamin Franklin the Deputy Postmaster General who for that purpose drove a chaise with a distance recorder over the route. Restored to this its original position June 1st, 1927, by the Village of Rye. 'Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set.'(Proverbs XXII Verse 28.) — Map (db m34588) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye Brook — Crawford Park
Crawford Park A Gift to the Community This 35.6-acre park was once the estate of Edna Everett Crawford. The Crawfords always opened their home to guests and allowed neighborhood children to play on their many fields. It was Mrs. Crawford's gracious wish that the Town of Rye maintain her property to allow many more generations to enjoy her hospitality. — Map (db m38714) HM
New York (Westchester County), Rye Brook — Rye Korean War Veterans Memorial
Korean War Veterans Memorial To All Who Served During The Korean War 1950 – 1953 "Freedom Is Not Free" United States Casualities Killed 54,246 Wounded 103,284 Missing 8,177 Captured 7,140 Give thoughts to the terrain of Korea The blood, the cold, and the rain Give remembrance to our comrades always So they shall not have given of themselves in vain Killed In Action Anthony J. Cotroneo Walter R. Testerman, Jr. [ lower plaque ] Korea The Forgotten . . . — Map (db m38716) WM
New York (Westchester County), Scarsdale — Gen. Howe’s Headquarters
This house was headquarters of Major General Sir William Howe, Commander in Chief of British forces in America, after the Battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776. — Map (db m32014) HM
New York (Westchester County), Scarsdale — Scarsdale Bicentennial Time Capsule
Bicentennial Time Capsule On 7 March, 1788, under enactment of the Senate and Assembly of the State of New York, that portion of the County of Westchester called the Manor of Scarsdale was erected into a town, by the name of Scarsdale. As part of the Bicentennial celebration marking the creation of the Town of Scarsdale, in October 1988 a Time Capsule containing items representative of the Town of Scarsdale in 1988 was buried beneath this plaque. The Town Board of Scarsdale requests that . . . — Map (db m42523) HM
New York (Westchester County), Scarsdale — Site of Daniel D. Tompkins Birthplace
Near This Spot Was Born June 21st 1774 Daniel D. Tompkins Governor Of The State Of New York 1807-1817 Vice-President Of The United States 1817-1825 This Site Is Marked By The Westchester County Historical Society Through The Generosity Of Charles Butler Esq. 1897 [ lower plaque ] The monument was given by The Westchester County Historical Society Daniel D. Tompkins Lodge No. 1013, F. & A. M. Edward J. Snyder, Master John Thies, Monument Trustee The lodge then . . . — Map (db m42511) HM
New York (Westchester County), Scarsdale — Wayside Inn
Wayside Inn For many years, before and after the Revolutionary War, a country tavern. During that long struggle for independence, a meeting place for Scarsdale patriots and the scene of repeated attacks by British soldiers. Erected by The Westchester County Historical Society Scarsdale Chapter, 1927 — Map (db m42524) HM
New York (Westchester County), Sleepy Hollow — Cold Spring
Erected in memory of Gen. John C. Freemont “The Pathfinder” a former resident of Sleepy Hollow. — Map (db m34678) HM
New York (Westchester County), Sleepy Hollow — Philipsburg Manor
Philips Manor was an 18th-century milling, farming and trading complex owned by the Loyalist Philipse family, tenanted by farmers, and operated by enslaved men, women and children. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m8729) HM
New York (Westchester County), Sleepy Hollow — The Headless Horseman Bridge
Described by Irving in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow formerly spanned this stream at this spot. — Map (db m8616) HM
New York (Westchester County), Sleepy Hollow — The Old Dutch Church
The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, built 1697 by Frederick Philipse, First Lord of the Manor, in use since except in Revolution. — Map (db m8618) HM
New York (Westchester County), Somers — Elephant Hotel
[ top plaque ] Elephant Hotel Built 1825 National Register Of Historic Places [ bottom plaque ] Elephant Hotel Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Built 1825 by entrepreneur Hachaliah Bailey, owner of the elephant, "Old Bet". This site was the symbolic center for the emerging traveling menagerie and circus industry. The building also . . . — Map (db m37354) HM
New York (Westchester County), Somers — Mt. Zion Church
Mt. Zion Church 1794 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m37357) HM
New York (Westchester County), Somers — Reis Park
Reis Park dedicated to the memory of Carolyn Wright & Walter Reis The Wright Family Homestead (c. 1862) and 81 acres of land (now Reis Park) were bequeathed to the Town of Somers by Carolyn Wright Reis in 1967 to be used for educational and recreational purposes. — Map (db m37359) HM
New York (Westchester County), Somers — Somers Soldiers Memorial
[ south side ] In Memoriam Of The Brave Men From This Vicinity Who Fell In The Great Rebellion Erected By The Ladies Soldiers And Society Of Somers 1865 [ east side ] 4th N.Y. H.A. Capt. James M. McKeel Sergt. Theodore Quick Sergt. William E. Kniffin William Donnell Chauncey E. Tuttle John Jones Freeman Light Charles Clark Norman B. Purdy Alvin Gregory Chs. Vredenburgh [ north side ] 59th N.Y. V. George Powers 101st N.Y. . . . — Map (db m37349) HM
New York (Westchester County), Somers — Somers Veterans Monument
Dedicated To The Men and Women Of Somers, Who Have Served Or Will Serve in The Armed Forces Of the United States 1994 — Map (db m37351) HM
New York (Westchester County), Somers — Somers World War I Monument
1917   1919 Erected by the Town of Somers In Honor of Those Who Served In the Great War for Democracy Mildred Ashforth • William Bailey, Capt. • E. Stanley Baker • N. John Beigan • James Benedict • Bombay Bernado • Abner Brown • Thomas Brown • August Bruso • Harry Butler • Clarence Carpenter • Max Churgin, Corp. • Ralph Curry • John J. Downie • W. Leonard Duffey • William I. Fischer • Barrett Foody, 1st Lieut. • Howard Foody, 2nd Lieut. • Clarence W. Godwin • Frank Grady • Harry Hopkins . . . — Map (db m37350) HM
New York (Westchester County), South Salem — Lewisboro Veterans Monument
This Memorial Is Dedicated by The Town of Lewisboro To Honor Its Valiant Citizens Who Have Served Their Country In The Armed Forces In Time Of War. May 30, 1955 — Map (db m32236) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — “The Memorial Church of Washington Irving”
This Church, known as St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, was built in 1868 as “The Memorial Church of Washington Irving.” Since 1957, it has been The Roman Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception. — Map (db m37407) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Action in Tarrytown
This tablet erected by the Sons of the Revolution and citizens of this vicinity on July 15, 1899 Commemorates the Action at Tarrytown which occurred near this spot on July 15, 1781 and also the heroism of Colonel Sheldon and Captain Hurlbut of the Second Regiment of Dragoons, Captain – Lieutenant Miles of the artillery, and Lieutenant Shaylor of the Fourth Connecticut Regiment, who received the particular thanks of General Washington in the Public Orders of the Army, for their . . . — Map (db m8612) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — André Captors Monument
On this spot the 23rd day of September 1780 the spy Major John André Adjutant General of the British Army was captured by John Paulding, David Williams and Isaac Van Wart, all natives of this county. History has told the rest. The people of Westchester County have erected this monument as well to commemorate a great event as to testify their high estimation of that integrity and patriotism which, rejecting every temptation rescued the United States from most imminent peril by baffling the . . . — Map (db m8608) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Andre Captured
Here in 1780 three honest militiamen arrested Major John Andre Adjt-Gen. British Army, disguised, preventing disaster to the American cause. — Map (db m8610) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Asbury M. E. Church
Founded 1796 by Rev. John Barnet Matthias, itinerant preacher. Church first incorporated in 1807. This building erected 1837. — Map (db m34651) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Christ Church
Erected in 1837. For many years Washington Irving was vestryman and warden. Ivy is from cuttings from vine on his home Sunnyside. — Map (db m8709) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Cold Spring
Erected in memory of Gen. John C. Freemont “The Pathfinder” a former resident A.D. 1913 — Map (db m47308) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Korean & Viet Nam Memorial Monuments
Left Panel In Memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in the Viet Nam Conflict 1969-1973 Daniel T. Joyce • Ronald Manca • Philip Marasco • Michael F. Sullivan • William Thorton, Jr. • Joseph A. Marasco Right Panel In Memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in the Korean Conflict 1951-1954 John P. Barrett, Jr. • Laurie Fitzgibbon — Map (db m42687) WM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Our Union Soldiers
Patria Carior Quam Vita. Our Union soldiers ----- • ----- While Freedom’s name is understood, They shall delight the wise and good; They dared to set their country free, And gave her laws equality. 1861     ---     1865 < Right Side of Monument > 1861 – Roll of Honor – 1865 Those of Greenburgh and Mt. Pleasant Township who served their country in the Civil War. Acker, George • Ackerman, James H. • Armstrong, Bishop • Armstrong, John M. • Arthur, Thomas • Badeau, Adam • . . . — Map (db m28656) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Second Reformed Church
Erected in 1837 as South Church of Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow became a separate congregation 1851 — Map (db m8708) HM
New York (Westchester County), Valhalla — Reuben Wright’s Mill
Town of North Castle Reuben Wright’s Mill Headquarters of Gen. George Washington and other American Generals during the Revolutionary War 1776 – 80 1976 — Map (db m24459) HM
New York (Westchester County), Valhalla — Reuben Wright’s Mills
Near this site stood Reuben Wright’s Mills, Headquarters of General Washington from July 20th to 25th 1778, also occupied by other Revolutionary Generals. The mills were in Old Kensico Village now inundated by the waters of Kensico Lake. These millstones were placed by the White Plains Chapter D.A.R. Oct. 28th 1932 on the 156th anniversary of the Battle of White Plains 1776. — Map (db m24460) HM
New York (Westchester County), West Harrison — VFW Post 5463 Veterans Memorial
Dedicated by Post No. 5463 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States in honor of those who gave their lives in the defense of their country Silver Lake Park 1952 — Map (db m24792) HM
New York (Westchester County), West Harrison — West Harrison Honor RollDefenders of Our Freedom — Korean War
Gave Their Lives Altamuro, Patsy World War II • Beckman, Harriet World War II • Coombs, Peter World War I • Demarisco, Michael, Jr. Vietnam • Doerr, Harold J. World War II • Eggenberger, Henry Korea • Foster, Bertram World War II • Gentile, Thomas World War II • Grillo, Joseph R. World War II • Mcgowan, George World War II • Powell, Thomas J. World War II Original Honorees Abrantes, Manuel • Ackerley, Earl • Adams, Antone • Aldrich, Robert E. • Amodeo, Gaetano T. • Anderson, John • . . . — Map (db m61168) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — American Red Cross in Westchester County
This flagpole is dedicated to the volunteers and staff of the American Red Cross in Westchester County who have served members of our Armed Forces since the Spanish American War in 1898. These dedicated people have demonstrated Red Cross’ caring and concern for Westchester’s families and their family members serving in the Military around the world in times of war and peace. February   1998 — Map (db m47291) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Battle of White Plains
October 28th, 1776 The Continental Army Under the Command of General George Washington Defended the Heights Checking the British Advance Across Westchester Erected by the City of White Plains to commemorate the 225th Anniversary of the Battle Back of Marker: White Plains At the time of the Battle of Long Island and Capture of the city of New York by the British, the New York Provincial Congress moved to safety in White Plains. The Colonial roads intersected in the Town, . . . — Map (db m8298) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Battle of White Plains
General George Washington Commander In Chief of the Continental Army Erected by the City of White Plains to commemorate the 225th Anniversary of the Battle Back of Marker: The Continental Army Under the command of General George Washington the Continental Army survived the Battle of Long Island, to carry the War through Manhattan and across Westchester to the stand off at White Plains. Thwarting the British Plan to capture and to destroy the Army, repeatedly averting military . . . — Map (db m8303) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Battle of White PlainsAmerican Forces — 1776
Commanded by General George Washington Numbered about 14,500 Men fit for Duty, Consisting of Continentals From Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New York, and Militiamen From Several Provinces. Many of These Units Had Participated in The Battle of Long Island, Harlem Heights, Throg’s Neck, and Pell’s Point. Erected by the City of White Plains to commemorate the 225th Anniversary of the Battle Back of Marker: Battle of White Plains October 28, 1776 The . . . — Map (db m8307) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Battle of White PlainsBritish Forces — 1776
Commanded by General William Howe Numbered about 13,000 Including Several Brigades. The Regiments of Foot Deployed Light Infantry, Chasseurs, and Grenadiers. Artillery Batteried and Light Cavalry Supported Them. The Hessian Battalions Under Heister, Rahl, and Donop Reinforced The British. Their Grenadiers and Jagers Were Essential to the Battle. Back of Marker: Battle of White Plains October 28, 1776 The British Assaulted Chatterton’s Hill With Reinforced 2nd Brigade Numbering about . . . — Map (db m8308) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Battle of White PlainsChatterton’s Hill, October 28, 1776
The American Revolutionary War 1776 2001 Phases of Action October 28th Morning 1. Americans Occupy Chatterton’s Hill 2. British Approach from the South 3. American Pickets Retreat 4. Hessians Under Rahl Seize Hill 5. British Bombard Chatterton’s Hill Midday 6. British and Hessians Cross Bronx River 7. Hessians Outflank Americans 8. British Dragoon Cavalry Attacks 9. Americans Retreat from Chatterton’s Hill October 29th to 31st 10. Heavy Rain . . . — Map (db m8309) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Battle Park
During the Battle of White Plains, the Americans under General Washington were forced off Chatterton’s Hill after inflicting heavy casualties on British troops, checking their advance into Westchester. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m8310) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Center of Washington’s Army
The center of Washington’s Army was located here from Oct. 28 to Oct 31 1776 during the operations around White Plains.Erected by Act of Congress   May 18, 1926 [ Upper Marker : ]This mortar and this remnant of the revolutionary entrenchments of October 1776 mark the final stand by General Washington at the end of his long retreat, the abandonment by Gen. Howe of his purpose to capture the American Army and the revival of the hopes for national Independence. — Map (db m47285) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Cuba Free1898
Thomas C. LevalleyU.S.S.S. YankeeThomas H. Fitzgerald Samuel J. WaltonCo. C 71st N.Y. Vols.Charles W. VailCo. E 6th U.S. Art.Louis IseneggerCorp. Co. C 3rd U.S. Cav. “Made way for Liberty and died” — Map (db m63630) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Jacob Purdy House
George Washington’s Headquarters in White Plains Oct. 23-31, 1776 July 27 – Sept. 16, 1778 National Register of Historic Places White Plains Historical Society — Map (db m47286) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Jacob Purdy House
George Washington’s Headquarters in White Plains 1776             1778 National Register of Historic Places White Plains Historical Society — Map (db m47290) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Jacob Purdy House (1721)
* A National Historic Site * * * * * * General George Washington’s Headquarters * * * * * October 23 – 28, 1776 While preparing for the Battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776 - and later - July 27 – September 16, 1778 General Washington and eighteen key generals of the Continental Army met at the Jacob Purdy House to plan military strategy for a combined attack with the French on British and Hessian forces at Newport, Rhode Island, and for subsequent campaigns. * * * * * * * * * * . . . — Map (db m47288) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Lockheed T-33
Lockheed T-33 This T-33, known as the “T-Bird,” is on loan from the United States Navy and was once on display at the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York City. It commemorates Westchester County Airport’s history as home to the 105th Flying Unit of the New York Air National Guard from 1948 to 1984. Designed by Lockheed in 1948 and produced until 1959, T-Birds were used as jet trainers with cockpit capacities for two people, top speeds of 600 miles per hour and ranges of . . . — Map (db m24437) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Merritt HillSpirit of 1776
This historic site is Merritt Hill which marks one of the actions in the Battle of White Plains on October 28, 1776. During the attack on Chatterton Hill, the British marched up the road to Connecticut (Lake street) to attack the left flank of Washington’s defense assembled on Hatfield Hill (opposite Merritt Hill). General Heath, under General Washington, had placed Colonel Malcolm, his N.Y. Regiment and Lt. Fenno with one field piece to station Merritt Hill in defense of Hatfield Hill. . . . — Map (db m25401) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Site of the Birth of New York State
Site Of The County Court House Where On July 10 1776 The Provincial Congress Proclaimed The Passing Of The Dependent Colony And The Birth Of The Independent State Of New York Erected by the White Plains Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1910 — Map (db m42369) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Soldiers' Memorial
(Front): To the soldiers of White Plains who died in the service of their country in the Civil War 1861-1865. (Back): Erected by their late comrades and the town of White Plains July 4, 1872. — Map (db m34308) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — The Battle of White PlainsOctober 28, 1776
Near this spot, the British under Howe, forded the Bronx River and attacked the right wing of Washington’s Army located above on Chatterton Hill. Erected by Act of Congress May 18, 1926. Side of Monument: This bowlder was taken from taken from Mount Misery, which was the site of Washington’s encampment, October 31, 1776. — Map (db m8295) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — The War for American Independence
The War for American Independence From October 28, 1776 until the British withdrawal on November 4, 1776 the Continental Army commanded by General George Washington engaged and held off the splendidly appointed British forces of General William Howe. This monument marking the eastern limit of the Patriot defenses during the Battle of White Plains is reverently erected in continuing memory of the valor and courage of our Forefathers, who untrained and ill equipped, remained steadfast until . . . — Map (db m24440) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — U.S. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Honorably Discharged U.S. Soldiers and Sailors Erected By Cromwell Post, 466, G.A.R. — Map (db m53722) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — Washington Arms Apartments
In commemoration of Washington’s stand against the British, under Howe, near this site during the Battle of White Plains. October 28, 1776. — Map (db m31227) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — White Plains Roll of Honor
Joseph M. Aloise • Corporal William M. Beyer • Charles Blatz • Lieutenant Frank A. Bayles • James J. Cleary • Captain Frederick W. Cobb • Ralph L. Cook Thomas R. Cullington • Robert M. Davis • James Drumgold • William P. Earle, Jr. • Lieutenant Arlo E. Garnsey • Irving S. Gedney • Robert Hammer • Henry Lester Hatfield • Lieutenant Lorenzo O. Haskell • John E. Hendrickson • Charles C. Herrmann • Sergeant Donald P. Hunnewell • Stewart Kent • Frederick S. Longyear • Enrico Lucatorto • James F. . . . — Map (db m42526) HM
New York (Westchester County), White Plains — White Plains World War I Memorial
In Memoriam Soldiers, Sailors and Marines 1917 World War 1918 — Map (db m42370) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Black Soldiers of the 1st Rhode Island Regiment
In Memory of The Black Soldiers of The 1st Rhode Island Regiment Who Died In The Battle of Pines Bridge In Defense of America's Freedom May 13, 1781 Sponsored By Afro-American Cultural Foundation Westchester County, New York John H. Harmon – Executive Director The Rhode Island Black Heritage Society Rowena Stewart - Executive Director Dedicated May 13, 1982 — Map (db m58456) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Burial Place
1781     1900 The State of New York marks the burial place of Colonel Christopher Greene and Major Ebenezer Flagg of the First Rhode Island Regiment of the Continental Army who were killed two miles south of this spot May 14th 1781 and also of Lieutenant Abraham Dyckman a noted Westchester guide who was mortally wounded at Eastchester March 3rd 1782. — Map (db m37075) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Davenport House
Davenport House c 1750 Only surviving structure in Westchester County which was held by General Washington's Troops continuously throughout the War for Independence serving as a command post Westchester County Tricentennial 1683 - 1983 — Map (db m37074) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — First Presbyterian Church — Historic Yorktown
Historic Yorktown First Presbyterian Church ca. 1839 Originally built in 1739 the church and parsonage was used as a meeting/store house by local patriots during the revolution. Because of this, the British burnt them down in 1779. The adjoining cemetery contains the remains of many prominent founding families as well as soldiers whom died in the revolution. Designated a Local Historical Landmark March 2, 1976 — Map (db m37081) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — French Hill — The Road to Victory During the American Revolution
French Hill - The Road to Victory During the American Revolution Background: During the American Revolution, the Americans needed the help of the French to secure their hopes of independence. In 178, thanks to the efforts of Ben Franklin and others, the French signed the Treaty of Alliance. The Continental Army would now have a powerful army and navy to support it. The officer in charge of the French Army was the Comte de Rochambeau. He would march his army from Rhode Island to New . . . — Map (db m37080) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Yorktown Church
Built by Presbyterians in 1738. Army store house during Revolution. Burned by British 1779. Present building erected 1799. — Map (db m26146) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Yorktown Korean and Vietnam Wars Monument
Dedicated To The Men of Yorktown Who Served With Honor And Courage In The Korean and Vietnam Wars. To Those Who Gave Their Lives, We Are Particularly Indebted For Their Supreme Sacrifice, And Establish This Memorial In Tribute November 11, 1968 — Map (db m37061) WM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Yorktown World War I Monument
In Honor Of The Men of Yorktown Who Rendered Service In The World War 1917 – 1919 David E. Ackerman • John F. Anders • Harry E. Anderson • J. Colridge Archer • William M. Archer • Jesse W. Barger • Harrison S. Barnes • Arthur C. Bennett • Robert Bennett • Ciro Benvenuti • Charles F. Boehmer • James Boyle • Edward S. Bristol • George J. Broeder • Harold H. Brown • Raymond Clearwater • John J. Combs • Charles H. Conklin • Clifford R. Conklin • Elmer Conklin • Ralph Conklin • Angelo . . . — Map (db m37060) HM
New York (Westchester County), Yorktown Heights — Yorktown World War II Monument
In Memory Of Those Who Gave Their Lives And In Honor Of Those Who Served In World War II 1952 — Map (db m37062) HM
176 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 160 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.