Camp site of the first authorized military expedition into the Black Hills. On September 12, 1857 Lt. G. K. Warren of the U. S. Topographical Engineers and his party, camped here and erected a log corral. (17 years before the famous Custer . . . — Map (db m4304) HM
The Cheyenne-Deadwood Trail, a heritage precious to state and nation, was used by gold seekers and Black Hills emigrants from 1876 to 1887. Crossing U. S. Highway 16 at this point, it followed Stockade Beaver Creek passing Beaver Creek Stage Station . . . — Map (db m4305) HM
The deserted site of Field City or Tubb Town offers silent testimony to the boom and bust fate of many western towns.
In the spring of 1889 Deloss Tubbs, a businessman from Custer, Dakota Territory, laid out Field City around his store on the . . . — Map (db m34872) HM