Founded on land donated to the Wilcox County Commission for a new county seat by Thomas Dunn and wife Martha Hobbs, Sept. 14, 1832. County seat moved from Canton in 1833. First called Wilcox Courthouse and later named . . . — Map (db m68164) HM
This building was constructed c. 1849 as a Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
The Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation was organized in September 1890 in the parlor of the William Joel Bonner home. There were twelve charter . . . — Map (db m68161) HM
1861. - 1865.
"The manner of their death was
the crowning glory of their lives."
They gave their lives for us;
for . . . — Map (db m68173) WM
Organized April 3, 1845 by a Commission of Southern Alabama Presbytery to serve the community of Camden in Wilcox County. Originally known as the Old School Presbyterian Church, its first congregation numbered twenty-three. First Ruling Elders . . . — Map (db m68160) HM
Joseph Morgan Wilcox was born on March 15, 1790 in Killingsworth, Middlesex County, Connecticut. He was the son of Revolutionary War officer, Joseph Wilcox and Phoebe Morgan. On June 15, 1808, Cadet Wilcox entered the U.S. Military Academy where he . . . — Map (db m68159) HM
A Monument Committee, consisting of Susan Baggett, Chairman; Gladys Mason, Clara Blackmon, Jane Shelton Dale, Tommy McNeece, Bill Albritton and Mayor Henrietta Blackmon, was established on February 12, 2004. Their plan was to build a monument to . . . — Map (db m68158) HM WM
Incorporated 1850 by James A. Tait, L. W. Mason, Joseph George and Associates
Original Trustees: Col. J. C. Jones, Joseph George, Maj. M. M. Bonham, D. W. Sterrett, Col. C. C. Sellers, Dr. M. Reid, J. W. Bridges, Dr. Robert Irvin, and Maj. F. . . . — Map (db m68156) HM
Prairie Mission was established in 1894 by the Freedmen’s Board of the United Presbyterian Church of North America to educate the children of ex-slaves. The Mission consisted of a church, school building, dormitories for male and female students, a . . . — Map (db m38496) HM
Representing 10,300 acres with 73 buildings, and 14 structures, the Furman Historic District, encompassing Old Snow Hill Road, Wilcox County Road 59, Burson Road, and AL 21, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m68184) HM
The Town of Pine Apple was settled by 1816, originally named Friendship in the 1820s and later designated Pine Apple by the United States Post Office in 1851. Pine Apple was incorporated on February 24, 1872. The following . . . — Map (db m47706) HM
Founded in 1882 by John Trotwood Moore, who became a famous author, archeologist, and poet laureate of the State of Tennessee, the original two-story wood frame building served the Pine Apple area from 1882 until the present brick structure was . . . — Map (db m47705) HM
Founded in 1825, the town of Pine Apple became a regional commercial center due to its strategic location as the end of the Selma to Pensacola Railroad line from 1871 to the 1890s. The progressive spirit of Pine Apple during the centennial period . . . — Map (db m47704) HM
Founded in 1825, the town of Pine Apple became a regional commercial center due to its strategic location as the end of the Selma to Pensacola Railroad line from 1871 to the 1890s. The progressive spirit of Pine Apple during the centennial period . . . — Map (db m47799) HM
This area was Choctaw Indian country before the arrival of settlers moving south and west in this new nation. The first settlement, known as Arnold, was located one mile north of the present town center. Mr. Charley A. Sheldon from . . . — Map (db m47618) HM
Snow Hill Institute was founded in 1893 by William James Edwards, a graduate of historic Tuskegee Institute established by Booker T. Washington in 1881.
Snow Hill’s lineage extends back to Hampton Institute where Washington . . . — Map (db m68185) HM