|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-7 — Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House|
One of the earliest Dissenter congregations in South Carolina north of the Santee River was located about two miles south of here. Its church building had been completed by 1727 when the Rev. Thomas Morritt, Episcopal minister of Charleston, visited the area.
In 1742, this Dissenter congregation of the "Presbyterian Persuasion...of Scotland" received 100 pounds currency from Wm. Swinton for a new building. Also in 1742, William Thompson, Jr., . . . — Map (db m27709) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-9 — Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry|
Among the first settlers of Williamsburg County, members of the Witherspoon family sailed from Belfast to Charleston in 1734, arriving about December 1. With a year's provisions, they embarked on an open-boat voyage. Traveling up the Black River, the settlers came ashore near here and lived in Samuel Commander's barn while constructing their "dirt houses."
By 1775, Potatoe Ferry was operating on the Black River about ¼ mile downstream from here. . . . — Map (db m28118) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-14 — Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church|
This church was founded in 1867 on land donated by Moses and Matilda Watson. It was the first African American church in the Bloomingvale community and was organized by trustees Orange Bruorton, Augusta Dicker, Sr., Fred Grant, Esau Green, Fortune Session, Moses Watson, and Richmond White. It was also mother church to Bruorton Chapel A.M.E. Church, active until the 1950s.
Mt. Zion also sponsored Mt. Zion School, which closed in 1958. The first . . . — Map (db m27930) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-17 — Suttons Methodist Church|
This church, founded in 1825, is the second oldest Methodist congregation in Williamsburg County. That year Robert Sutton gave the "Methodist Society" of this community a parcel 100 yds. square. Its first church, a frame building, was sometimes known as "Suttons Meeting House." It appears in Robert Mills' Atlas of South Carolina, published in 1825, as "Suttons M.H."
Suttons Methodist Church also hosted several annual camp meetings between 1825 and . . . — Map (db m27323) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Greeleyville — 45-17 — McCollum-Murray House|
This house, with Classical Revival architectural influences, was built ca. 1906 for Edward J. McCollum (1867-1942), African-American businessman and machinist with the Mallard Lumber Company. In 1922, when twelve-year-old Charles E. Murray’s father William died, McCollum and his wife Margaret (1886-1949) took him in. They considered him their foster son and encouraged him to pursue his education.
Continued on other side
Continued . . . — Map (db m43054) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Hemington — 45-1 — Indiantown Presbyterian Church|
Organized in 1757 with John James and Robert Wilson as founding elders. Burned by the British in 1780 as “a sedition shop.” Rebuilt after the Revolution. Present building begun in 1830, remodelled in 1919. Major John James, Revolutionary hero, is buried in the churchyard. — Map (db m27903) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Hemingway — 45-5 — Ebenezer United Methodist Church|
This church is said to be the oldest Methodist congregation in present Williamsburg County. It was established prior to 1822 when Samuel Heaselden, in his will, reserved two acres of land for the congregation; in 1837, his heirs deeded this land to the trustees of the church, "which will bear the name of Ebenezer." — Map (db m27328) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Henry — 45-8 — Benjamin Britton Chandler (1854–1925)|
Active in the Red Shirt campaign which resulted in General Wade Hampton’s election as SC governor, 1876, Chandler later served as Supervisor of Williamsburg County. He was twice elected to the SC House and was known as “an honest and manly representative” of his people. His home, which burned in 1985, was located here. — Map (db m27900) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Indiantown — Indiantown Presbyterian Church: “Disarm in the Most Rigid Manner”|
|After Francis Marion’s initial victories in August and early September 1780, British military authorities in South Carolina moved to eliminate the threat of an insurgency in Williamsburg District. Lord Cornwallis ordered Maj. James Wemyss to sweep through the area with a large force of British regulars and Loyalist militiamen and “disarm in the most rigid manner, all Persons who cannot be depended on” to support the King. Faced with a much larger force on his trail, Col. Marion had . . . — Map (db m53898) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-3 — Battle of Kingstree|
Somewhere northwest of Kingstree on the night of Aug. 27, 1780, while scouting for Gen. Marion, a South Carolina militia company led by Maj. John James attacked a British force sent to ravage Williamsburg
District, capturing prisoners and gaining information that decided Gen. Marion not to risk a general engagement. — Map (db m25000) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Captain Roger Gordon|
|In 1732 Roger Gordon led 40 Scotch Irish to found Williamsburg Township, (Kingstree), one of 11 inland sites granted by the Provincial Governor in King George’s plan to develop a successful English colony in South Carolina. In 1738 the town acquired 2 acres of his land to build Williamsburg Meeting House, original site of the Williamsburg Presbyterian Church and this cemetery. Capt. Gordon died in 1750. — Map (db m54667) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.|
|Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Drum-Major for Justice
Assassinated April 4, 1968
1929 ~ 1968
"Unless we learn to live together as brothers, surely we will die apart as fools.” — Map (db m54769) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — John Witherspoon|
|Born near Glasgow, Scotland in 1670, removed to Ireland because of religious persecution and settled in County Down in 1695. In 1734 he, with his kindred and friends, came to America and settled near Kingstree in Williamsburg Township. He was the leading spirit in the erection of the First Williamsburg Meeting House in 1736. He died in the Fall of 1737 and was the first person buried in this graveyard. Of Covernanter blood, a descendant of John Knox, he was a zealous adherent to the principles . . . — Map (db m54766) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Kingstree: Gathering Vital Intelligence|
|By late August 1780, Francis Marion and the Whig militiamen of eastern South Carolina had already begun to cause alarm among the British military leaders in charge of subduing the province. Sensing the British would move against him, Col. Marion sent one of his trusted officers, Maj. John James of the Williamsburg Militia, and a few men back to Kingstree to gather intelligence. While Patriot lore has called this incident the “Battle of Kingstree,” the reality was probably much more . . . — Map (db m53897) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Lower Bridge: Take the Low Ground!|
|Over three weeks in March 1781, Brig. Gen. Francis Marion conducted a series of engagements between the Santee River and Georgetown, battering a larger force of British regulars and Loyalist militiamen under the command of Col. John Watson. This series of skirmishes is known as Watson’s Chase or the Bridges Campaign. After clashes at Wiboo Swamp and Mount Hope Swamp, Marion continued moving east along the Santee towards Murray’s Ferry, thinking Watson would follow. But Watson turned north and . . . — Map (db m53893) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-19 — McClary Cemetery|
John McClary (1760-1833) established this cemetery about 1789, locating it on high ground near Boggy Swamp. McClary’s will, dated 1831, provided for headstones for himself and his three wives: Mary Raphield (1757-1792), Margaret Blackwell (1769-1799), and Sarah Raphield (1760-1815). Many of John McClary’s descendants and other members of the community are buried here.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side) . . . — Map (db m40507) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-4 — Old Muster Ground and Courthouse|
This lot was designated the parade ground in the original survey of the town in 1737. It served as the muster ground for the local militia during colonial and Revolutionary times. The present courthouse, designed by Robert Mills, was built in 1823. The second story burned in 1883 and was repaired. The
courthouse was enlarged in 1901 and remodelled again in 1954. — Map (db m25601) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-18 — St. Alban’s Episcopal Church|
St. Alban’s Episcopal Church has long been the only continuously active Episcopal congregation in Williamsburg County. It was founded in 1879 by Carrie Simons (1849-1938), who persuaded Bishop W.W. Howe to help her organize a mission church with a few communicants. In 1887 Simons moved to Kingstree and married Michael F. Heller. She continued to support St. Alban’s until her death.
This sanctuary, a fine example of the Carpenter Gothic style, was . . . — Map (db m27934) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-12 — Stephen A. Swails House|
Stephen Atkins Swails (1832-1900), U.S. Army officer and state senator, lived in a house on this site 1868-79. Swails, a free black from Pennsylvania, came to S.C. in 1863 as a 1st Sgt. in the 54th Massachusetts Volunteers (Colored), the first black regiment organized in the North during the Civil War. He was wounded twice and was commissioned 2nd lt. by Massachusetts Governor John Andrew in early 1864.
Swails, one of only about 100 black officers . . . — Map (db m27929) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Thurgood Marshall, J.D.|
|Supreme Court Justice
Trumpter for Freedom
Mr. Civil Rights
1908 ~ 1993
“I did the best I could with what I had.” — Map (db m54768) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Willamsburg County Veterans Monument|
|Front Center Seal of the American Legion Honoring all who served and Dedicated to the everlasting memory of those who gave their lives for the cause of Freedom in World War I and World War II Seal of Veterans of Foreign Wars Reverse Center The Citizens of Williamsburg County Dedicate This Memorial Park to honor Veterans of Williamsburg County who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom Seals of US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps and the US Coast Guard — Map (db m54774) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-10 — Williamsburg Church|
This Presbyterian church was established 1736 by John Witherspoon and other early Scotch-Irish settlers. Originally located about 1 mile east at Williamsburg Cemetery, the congregation moved here to Academy Street in 1890; the present sanctuary was completed in 1913. A number of congregations have come from this church, which is the oldest continuing ecclesiastical group in Williamsburg County. — Map (db m27928) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Williamsburg County Confederate Monument|
U.D.C. and the
citizens of the county,
To the memory
of the men of
who fought for
the rights of the
[Relief Crossed Sabres]
To the gallant band of
volunteers from Williamsburg
whose courage zeal and
devotion fed the fires of . . . — Map (db m24605) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Williamsburgh|
|In remembrance of Williamsburgh District Patriots whose efforts helped create for us a new nation 1776 ~ 1976 — Map (db m54771) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Lake City — 45-15 — Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church|
Cooper’s Academy, built in 1905-06, was a private boarding school for the black children of this community until 1927, and a public school 1927-1958. Founded by Moses Cooper, H.J. Cooper, and Ada E. Martin, it was first called Cooper’s Academy, Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Youth. The school closed in 1958 when black schools at Battery Park and Cades were consolidated.
Bethesda Methodist Church, founded in 1879, was organized in a . . . — Map (db m27931) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Rhems — 45-6 — Black Mingo – Willtown / Black Mingo Baptist Church|
|Black Mingo – Willtown
By 1760, Charles Woodmason had established a store near here, following a 1745 Act of the General Assembly that provided for clearing of the watercourses at the head of Black Mingo Creek. Soon thereafter, schooners carried local products to Charlestown; by the early 1760s Black Mingo Settlement, later known as Willtown, had developed on the creek.
Black Mingo Baptist Church
By 1804 Black Mingo stage stop had a tavern and approximately twelve wooden . . . — Map (db m17005) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Salters — 45-2 — Battle Of Lower Bridge|
Gen. Francis Marion and his men defeated the British at this place in March 1781. Advancing from the west and finding the bridge on fire, the enemy rushed the nearby ford, but here they were repulsed by troops led by John James, Thomas Potts, and William McCottry and forced to abandon their plan to invade Williamsburg. — Map (db m33219) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Salters — 45-13 — Burrows's Service Station / Cooper's Country Store|
|Burrows's Service Station
This significant cultural and architectural example of a 20th-century country store was built in 1937 by Theron Burrows (1910-1973) when U.S. Hwy. 521 was finished from Georgetown to Manning. A combination grocery and gas station with family living quarters on the second floor, it was affiliated with Esso (now Exxon) and had the motto "we serve the needs of the neighborhood."
Cooper's Country Store
Burrows's Service Station sold not only staple goods, . . . — Map (db m37103) HM|
|South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Workman — 45-11 — Captain William Henry Mouzon|
This was the plantation of Capt. William Henry Mouzon (1741-1807), prominent militia officer in the American Revolution. Mouzon, of Huguenot descent, was educated in France as an engineer. He was a lieutenant in the 3rd S.C. Regiment, then raised the King's Tree Company and became its captain. This militia company numbered about 75 men when it disbanded after Charleston fell to the British in May 1780.
Capt. Mouzon's company reformed in July 1780, . . . — Map (db m30018) HM|