Minnesota’s “Fashionable Tour.” In the years between 1835 and 1860, steamboats from St. Louis and the Illinois river towns of Rock Island and Galena carried hundreds of tourists up the Mississippi River past “a thousand bluffs . . . — Map (db m8617) HM
On September 20, 1980, 11 inches of rain fell in 24 hours in the Pickwick area causing a flash flood that severely damaged the mill and Lake Labell's flood gates. In 1982, Pickwick Mill Inc. was founded to restore the mill and Lake Labelle. This . . . — Map (db m55613) HM
Named by Mary Davis in 1857 after
reading Charles Dickens novel,
Sign donated by Worldwide Dicken's Fellowship
open May to Oct, Sat & Sun 11AM to 5PM.
or by appointment call 452-9658 or 452-7341.
Open weekends May . . . — Map (db m55612) HM
The city 575 feet below this bluff was founded in 1851 by Captain Orrin Smith on the site of ‘Keoxah’ the village of Sioux Indian Chief Wapasha and his band. First called Wabasha’s Prairie, it was later named Winona — from the Sioux . . . — Map (db m56857) HM
Welcome to the Woodlawn Cemetery Potters' Field. "Potters' Field" is a historical designation, going back to the time of the Bible, when a field outside of the settlement was set aside to bury travelers and strangers to the community. A field used . . . — Map (db m62641) HM
A courageous soldier and member of Ethan Allen’s immortal band of 83, who took part in the surprise attack on the British garrison at Fort Ticonderoga, and the only Revolutionary soldier known to be buried in the State of Minnesota.
. . . — Map (db m56101) HM
"The crown of the majestic Sugar Loaf Bluff is disappearing before the strokes of the utilitarian quarrymen," editorialized the Winona Daily
Republican in 1886. "In a very few years that widely known landmark will be but a homely . . . — Map (db m43176) HM
Gift of W.J. Landon in memory of
Ida Cone Landon 1900
The Statuary grouping of We-No-Nah and its turtles and pelicans was erected in Central Park on August 26, 1902, and incorporated in Levee Plaza 1977.
We-No-Nah, meaning first born . . . — Map (db m49941) HM
Winona has been home to many peoples ever since the first Native Americans hunted mammoths and mastodons 12,000 years ago. The Dakota and Ho-Chunk lived here until the 1850s. The Dakota called it "Keoxa," or homeland. Their word . . . — Map (db m80090) HM