|Ohio (Wyandot County), Carey — 4-88 — Sheriden Cave — Ohio Historical Marker|
|Indian Trail Caverns, first opened in 1927, is one of many caves that occur on the dolomite ridge traversed by State Route 568 in Wyandot and Hancock counties. Sheriden Cave, a karst sinkhole associated with the caverns, was discovered in 1989. It has collected a remarkable record of Ice Age animal and human activity in its sediments. Excavations have revealed remains of many extinct Late Pleistocene Epoch animals-giant beaver, stag moose, flat-headed and long-nosed peccary, and short-faced . . . — Map (db m93656) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Crawford — C52 — Burning of Crawford — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail|
|Burning of Crawford
One-half mile northeast,
June 11, 1782, the Indians
burned Colonel William Crawford
at the stake, in revenge for
massacre of the Christian
Moravian Indians by William-
son's earlier expedition. — Map (db m20362) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Crawford — Colonel Crawford — In Memory of|
Burned by the Indians
In this Valley
June 11, 1782 — Map (db m20379) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Crawford — 1-88 — Colonel William Crawford / The 1782 Sandusky Campaign — Ohio Historical Markers|
|[Side A] Colonel William Crawford
Colonel William Crawford, a lifelong friend of George Washington, was born in Virginia in 1722. He was married twice, first to Ann Stewart and later to Hannah Vance. In 1755, he served with Colonel Edward Braddock in the French and Indian war. In 1767, he moved to "Stewart's Crossing," Pennsylvania, near the Youghiogheny River. During the Revolutionary War he raised a company of men, commanded the 5th and 7th Regiments, fought in battles in Long . . . — Map (db m20359) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Crawford — Crawford Memorial Park|
| (center plaque)
Dedicated in memory of Col. Wm. Crawford who was born in 1722, in what is now Berkeley County, West Virginia, and was burned at the stake, one half mile northeast of here down in the valley, on June 11, 1782, by the Indians, in revenge for the massacre by Williamson's earlier expedition.
American Legion Posts of Wyandot County
Wyandot Post No. 225, Upper Sandusky
Earl Green Post No. 344, Carey
Sycamore Post No. 250
Nevada Post No. 462 . . . — Map (db m70009) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Lovell — A140 — to Crawford's Burning / to Battle Island — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trailh — Harrison's March|
Text on South Side :
Harrison's March - 1813
- - - - -
Text on North Side :
Harrison's March - 1813
- - - - -
Island — Map (db m93691) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — 145 — Battle Island|
Of the Defeat of
Col. Wm Crawford
June 5. & 6. 1782 — Map (db m21416) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — C — Battle Island — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail|
About one mile east, on
June 7-8, 1872, Crawford's
expedition was annihilated
by the Indians and its
Also the site of a famous
Indian Gantlet Ground. — Map (db m93867) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — Col. William Crawford|
George Washington and Col. Crawford's friendship began while Washington was acting surveyor for Lord Fairfax in the Shenandoah Valley in 1749, and continued until Col. Crawford's death.
Col. Crawford's record is as follows: three years service under Washington during the French and Indian War, and three years during the Revolutionary War. He was with Washington's army when it crossed the Delaware. At Valley Forge on Christmas Day. He participated in the victory at . . . — Map (db m21386) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — 2-88 — Departure of the Wyandot Indians — Ohio Historical Marker|
|[Front side of marker]: "Departure of the Wyandot Indians"
The 1817 Treaty of Fort Meigs opened much of northwest Ohio to white settlement. In return, the U.S. Government granted the Wyandot Nation permanent use of the Grand Reserve at present-day Upper Sandusky. There farming continued, a school was built, and, in 1824, this Mission Church was constructed by Indians and Methodist missionaries. However, the Indian Removal Act of 1830 called for relocation of all eastern Native . . . — Map (db m26527) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — C481 — Fort Ferree — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail|
|1,000 feet east - site of
Main headquarters of General
William H. Harrison's army in
the War of 1812.
Many of his soldiers who
died in battle are buried in
this courthouse yard. — Map (db m18086) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring|
built by Gen. Harrison's Army, 1812.
1814 until 1846, on site Elks Lodge.
used by Indians 1730 to 1843.
Col. Crawford's Army drank at Spring June 4, 1782.
Charles Dickens stopped at Inn and Spring, 1842.
Scioto Trail led past the Indian Spring and Inn. — Map (db m18077) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — John Stewart|
|1816 — 1916
Apostle to the
of missions of
Episcopal Church — Map (db m26759) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — 3-88 — The Lincoln Highway — Ohio Historical Marker|
|Text on Side A of the Marker
Conceived by leaders of the automobile industry to encourage the building of "good roads," the Lincoln Highway was established in 1913 as the first transcontinental automobile route in the United States. It traversed twelve states and 3,389 miles from New York to San Francisco. The first route across Ohio connected Van Wert, Delphos, Lima, Ada, Upper Sandusky, Bucyrus, Galion, Mansfield, Ashland, Wooster, Massillon, Canton, Minerva, Lisbon, and East . . . — Map (db m93866) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — Wyandot Indian Council House|
|Brow of hill above was the site
of Wyandot Indian Council House
1819 to Jan. 16, 1850.
Building was covered with bark.
First Wyandot County Teachers
Association organized Aug. 25, 1848.
First newspaper published in
Wyandot County March 1, 1845.
Wyandot County organized here
July 2, 1845.
Here was signed last peace treaty
with Indian tribes in Ohio Mar., 1842. — Map (db m26563) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — Wyandot Mission Church|
|Built with Government funds in 1824
Used by the Wyandot Indians till 1843
First American Methodist Mission
Designated as a Shrine
1960 Methodist General Conference — Map (db m26604) HM|
|Ohio (Wyandot County), Upper Sandusky — Wyandott Indian Mission — First Methodist Mission in America|
|Founded by John Stewart, a black man, in 1816, the Wyandott Indian Mission became the first officially recognized mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America three years later. A stone Mission Church was built on this spot in 1824, under the supervision of the Rev. James B. Finley. The Wyandott Indians worshipped here until 1843. The building fell in ruins in later years. It was restored in 1889 and designated a national historic shrine by the General Conference of The Methodist Church in 1960. — Map (db m26557) HM|