HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Wythe County Markers
Virginia (Wythe County), Austinville — Z-89 — Carroll County / Wythe County
Carroll County Area 458 Square Miles Formed in 1842 from Grayson, and named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. New River runs through this County. Wythe County Area 479 Square Miles Formed in 1789 from Montgomery, and named for George Wythe, signer of the Declaration of Independence. New River flows through this county. — Map (db m24972) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Austinville — KD-5 — Fincastle County
Fincastle County, established in 1772, was formed from Botetourt County. The Fincastle County seat was located opposite the lead mines on the north side of the New River in the western end of present day Austinville. In 1775, the Fincastle County Committee of Safety filed its resolutions with the Continental Congress supporting other American colonies’ efforts for self-determination. The resolutions suggested the citizens were supportive of King George III, but they were not willing to be . . . — Map (db m43358) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Austinville — KD 6 — Jackson’s Ferry and Shot Tower
By 1770 Capt. William Herbert had established a ferry across the nearby New River that became known as Jackson’s Ferry. Thomas Jackson erected the 75-foot shot tower in the early 1800s to manufacture shot for firearms. The Austinville mines supplied lead for this business. Molten lead was dripped through a sieve from the top of the tower, then fell through the structure and an additional 75-foot shaft beneath the building into a kettle of water. While falling, the lead cooled and developed into . . . — Map (db m32514) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Fort Chiswell — K-36 — Anchor and Hope Plantation
One mile north is a plantation tht was surveyed in March 1748, and patented, in June, 1753, by Colonel John Buchanan and named by him “Anchor and Hope.” There in 1792 an academy was established to teach oratory. The pioneer educator, Thomas E. Birch, was instructor and minister for the settlement. — Map (db m43350) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Fort Chiswell — K-39 — Lead Mines
Nine miles south on New River. Discovered in 1756 by Colonel John Chiswell, these mines supplied lead for the Patriots in the Revolutionary War. Tories attempted to seize them in 1780 but were suppressed. — Map (db m43346) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Max Meadows — KD 8 — Austin's Birthplace
Near Austinville, five miles west, was born Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas", November, 1793. He began his colonization work in 1821. — Map (db m24971) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Rural Retreat — K-31 — Site of Mount Airy
In 1811, Martin Staley transferred land here to his son Valentine. A year later, his son formed the town of Mount (Mt.) Airy, sometimes referred to as Staleytown. The tract was divided into about 72 lots, including Main Street, Cross Street, and a public square. Following Valentine Staley's death in 1817, his wife and children successfully petitioned the General Assembly to sell more lots. With the establishment of a nearby railroad center at what became Rural Retreat and an attack on . . . — Map (db m44955) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Speedwell — Z-88 — Wythe County / Grayson CountyArea 479 Square Miles / Area 425 Square Miles
Whythe County. Formed in 1789 from Montgomery, and named for George Wythe, signer of the Declaration of Independence. New River flows through the county. Grayson County. Formed in 1792 from Wythe. Named for William Grayson, one of the first two United States Senators from Virginia. Headwaters of New River are in this county. — Map (db m65748) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Battle of WythevilleInto the Valley of Death
On July 13, 1863, Union Col. John T. Toland led 872 officers and men of the 34th Regiment Mounted Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Piatt, West Virginia, into Southwest Virginia to attack the railroads, telegraphs, and salt and lead mines essential to the Confederate cause. Five exhausting days later, the raiders arrived near where you are now standing for their first view of the valley before the Battle of Wytheville. The day after the march began, Toland fought the first . . . — Map (db m44023) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Battle of WythevilleSt. John’s Lutheran Church Cemetery
On July 13, 1863, Union Colonel John T. Toland led 872 officers and men of the 34th Regiment Mounted Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Piatt, West Virginia, into Southwest Virginia to attack the railroads, telegraphs, and salt and lead mines essential to the Confederate cause. The number of casualties resulting from Toland’s raid on the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad in Wytheville, as well as the resting places of the Union dead, are uncertain. Northern newspapers claimed that 75 Southerners . . . — Map (db m44881) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Battle of WythevilleThe Road to Mount Airy Depot
On July 13, 1863, Union Col. John T. Toland led 872 officers and men of the 34th Regiment Mounted Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Piatt, West Virginia, into Southwest Virginia to attack the railroads, telegraphs and salt and lead mines essential to the Confederated cause. Here, about six miles north of Wytheville, Toland detached companies D and F of the 2nd West Virginia Cavalry under Capts. George Millard and Alexander H. Ruker and ordered them to destroy the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad . . . — Map (db m67323) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Battle of WythevilleThe First Skirmish
On July 13, 1863, Union Col. John T. Toland led 872 officers and men of the 34th Regiment Mounted Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Piatt, West Virginia, into Southwest Virginia to attack the railroads, telegraphs, and salt and lead mines essential to the Confederate cause. At Tug Ridge in Abb’s Valley, on July 17, Toland surprised and captured a small company of Confederate pickets commanded by Capt. J.E. Stallings of the 45th Virginia Infantry. As Toland’s raiders descended to the foot of . . . — Map (db m67326) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Boone Trail Highway Memorial
Near his site, and with the sponsorship of Wytheville civic organizations, J. Hampton Rich, Director of the Boone 'Fran Highway & Memorial Association, erected the original monument in 1928. It was one of many placed across the nation to memorialize the trail-blazing, frontier statesman, and pioneer hero, Daniel Boone. It also serves as a monument to the Spanish-American War of 1898, when. America rallied to the cry, “Remember the Maine,” and became a dominant power for . . . — Map (db m44923) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — KD-9 — Crockett’s Cove
Crockett’s Cove has been home to the Crockett family for two centuries. It was named for Lt. John Crockett, Sr. (1737–1799), son of Samuel and Esther Thompson Crockett, a Revolutionary War veteran buried in the family cemetery a mile east. His half-brother Lt. Col. Robert Sayers (1754–1826), buried on a hill near him, also served in the war and later became a justice of the peace and a member of the Virginia General Assembly. On 10 May 1864 during the Civil War, just east . . . — Map (db m43553) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — K-326 — Edith Bolling Wilson
Edith Bolling Wilson was born here on 15 Oct. 1872, where she lived with her parents Judge William H. and Sallie White Bolling and ten siblings. Edith Bolling married Norman Galt in 1896 and after his death in 1908 she operated his Washington, D.C., jewelry store. She married President Woodrow Wilson on 18 Dec. 1915 and actively supported him and his policies. Following President Wilson’s debilitating stroke in Oct. 1919, she managed his affairs during his convalescence and promoted . . . — Map (db m44916) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Homesteader's Legacy
Can you see the old homestead of Buck and Ollie Astin in the clearing ahead? Even though the house and foundation are gone, there are still signs that reveal people’s presence in the forest. Living Clues to the Past Here you will find pears, apples, daffodils, and white cedars. Other plants to watch for at old homesteads are lilacs and daylilies. Wildlife Moves In The old homestead made an opening in the forest. This makes habitat for wildlife, and a great place for us to . . . — Map (db m67329) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — K-37 — Robert Enoch Withers
Robert Enoch Withers was born in Campbell County on 18 Sept. 1821. After graduation from the medical department at the University of Virginia in 1841, he practiced medicine in Campbell County and Danville until 1861. During the Civil War Withers achieved the rank of colonel in the Confederate army. He served as the lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1874 to 1875 and in the United States Senate from 1875 to 1881. Withers was the U. S. Consul at Hong Kong from 1885 to 1889 and he died nearby at his home, Ingleside, on 21 Sept. 1907. — Map (db m44913) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — FR-26 — St. John’s Lutheran Church
German settlers formed a congregation here that was a center of Lutheranism in Virginia throughout the 19th century. The church built around 1800 was replaced by the present structure in 1854. The cemetery has distinctive stones dating from 1804 to the present. St. John’s became a part of Holy Trinity Wytheville, in 1924. — Map (db m44891) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — KC-4 — Toland’s Raid
Col. John T. Toland of the 34th Regiment Mounted Ohio Volunteer Infantry leading Federal cavalrymen, marched from Tazewell County, and raided Wytheville during the evening of 18 July 1863. Confederate troops under Maj. Thomas M. Bowyer and local citizens fortified in buildings at first withstood the attack, killing Toland. After the Confederates withdrew, Federal forces burned several buildings. After learning that Confederate troops were situated at present day Rural Retreat, the federals left . . . — Map (db m68018) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — K-23 — Walter Crockett
Walter Crockett was born in the 1730s. By 1760, he had joined the Augusta County militia. Rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel, he subsequently served in the militias of Botentourt, Fincastle, and then Montgomery Counties, beginning in 1769. He participated in the Point Pleasant expedition of 1774 during Dunmoore’s War, and in Revolutionary War activities in southwestern Virginia in 1779 and 1780. He represented Montgomery County in the Virginia House of Delegates (1777–1779 and 1789) . . . — Map (db m44893) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — Z-84 — Wythe County / Bland CountyArea 479 Square Miles / Area 360 Square Miles
Wythe County. Formed in 1789 from Montgomery, and named for George Wythe, signer of the Declaration of Independence. New River flows through this county. Bland County. Formed in 1861 from Wythe, Tazewell and Giles. Named for Richard Bland, revolutionary leader. This county is rich in coal. — Map (db m44146) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — KD 10 — Wythe County Poorhouse Farm
The 340-acre Wythe County Poorhouse Farm was established in 1858 for the care of the elderly, disabled, and impoverished people of Wythe County. It was governed by the Wythe County Board of Supervisors and owned by the county until 1957 when the poorhouse farm was sold at public auction. An administrator known as the overseer of the poor was appointed and paid by the county to operate the facility. The property included eight pauper houses, the overseer’s residence, and supporting farm . . . — Map (db m1820) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — K-35 — Wytheville
When Wythe County was formed, this place became the county seat under the name of Evansham. It was incorporated in 1839 as Wytheville. The old Wilderness Road to Cumberland Gap passed here. It July, 1863, Toland’s Raiders captured the town. In May, 1864, Averell passed here on a raid; the town was again occupied by Union troops in December, 1864, and April 1865. — Map (db m44917) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — K 325 — Wytheville Training School
By 1867, the Freedmen's Bureau began educating African Americans recently freed from enslavement in Wytheville and soon a building was constructed for the students. In 1882, the Evansham School District and the Franklin Street Methodist Episcopal Church purchased the Freedmen's School and erected a larger school here that became known as the Wytheville Training School. By the late 1940s the school provided secondary school education to African Americam Students from Wythe, Bland, Carroll, and . . . — Map (db m72072) HM
24 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 367 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.