|Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — “The Famous Esclante Hotel”|
|The hotel opened March 1, 1907, and was built of steel and concrete in the Mission Style of Spanish architecture. The hotel covered a space of 420’ X 200’. Cost was approximately $115,000.
On the ground floor of the structure was the lunch room fitted with a circular counter, a large curio shop, newsstand/reading room, and a barber shop. There was also a beautiful crystal chandelier lighted dining room which was somewhat centered within the hotel. The east side of the hotel hosted . . . — Map (db m33499) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork — Founded 1882|
|Ash Fork is located near the 35th Parallel where, in the 1850's the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers began surveying a future railroad route. Camels were imported and used as beasts of burden, adding to the colorful history of the region. A wagon road was established that eventually became the legendary "Mother Road" Route 66.
In the early 1880's freighters hauling supplies and ore between Williams and Jerome traveled along Ash Creek. In 1882 when the Atlantic and Pacific (Santa Fe) . . . — Map (db m33442) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork Maintenance Camp #1|
Built circa 1926-27
by the Arizona Department
This building constructed of Moenkopi Sandstone, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Ash Fork Camp location was selected because it is a junction point of the Old Trails and Grand Canyon-Nogales Highways leading south, and also a junction of the Santa Fe Railroad.
Ash Fork Camp played a significant role maintaining Route 66 during the great westward migration. — Map (db m33443) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork, Arizona / The Coming of Route “66”|
The Coming of Route “66”
Ash Fork was a junction point of the Old Trails (Route 66) and the Grand Canyon – Nogales Highways (US 89), leading to the southern sections of the state.
Pictured is Lewis Ave. “Route 66” as it served as both west bound and east bound until the ‘50’s when Park Ave. assumed the east bound traffic. At this time Lewis and Park Avenues became one-way streets. The popular route and its . . . — Map (db m33502) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Bagdad — Bagdad Copper Mine|
|Cypress Copper ― Bagdad Corporation
In memory of
WJ. Pace and J.M. Murphy
Who filed the Bagdad claim January 1, 1882;
John Lawler who patented the claim in
1889; and the Lincoln family who developed
the mine. — Map (db m31552) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Bumble Bee — Mining in Arizona|
| Mining was the lure that opened Arizona to Anglo-American settlement and, subsequently, led to its statehood. However, Arizona mining began with the Spanish discovery of the rich Planchas de Plata silver deposits just west of Nogales in 1736. In the century that followed, Spanish miners opened numerous mines around Tubac, Patagonia, Ajo and Arivaca.
After the California gold rush subsided, many prospectors, hearing stories of Arizona's mineral wealth, turned hopeful eyes eastward. The . . . — Map (db m40777) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Bumble Bee — The Sunset Point Rest Area — Dedicated to the Engineering Achievement of — William Clayton LeFebvre, 1890-1964|
| A colorful administrator, he is credited with establishing the basic location of Arizona's billion-dollar Interstate Highway System. He served as State Engineer twice, from 1924 to 1928 and from 1945 to 1951.
He devoted much of his final term to curbing diversion of state highway user revenues to purposes other than road-building. His varied career included that of road-builder, railroad civil engineer, city engineer, county engineer, chief of police, engineer with the Public Works . . . — Map (db m40780) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — "0" Mile Post General Crook Trail|
|The Crook Road begins at this point
with the first in a series of mile markers
across the Mogollon Rim segment of the
military supply trail connecting Forts
Whipple, Verde and Apache. Reconnoitered
in 1871 by General George Crook with a
small detachment of cavalry, the route was
100 miles shorter than earlier trails and
opened the rugged Rim country to tactical
operations. The Boy Scouts of America,
Grand Canyon Council, re-marked the road in
1975-76 as a Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m28561) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Camp Verde|
| The oldest settlement in the Verde Valley. Site of historic Fort Verde. The first settlers came into the valley in February, 1865, followed by the military in August, 1865. Original military and historic buildings still stand. — Map (db m40814) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Fort Verde State Historic Park — The West As It Really Was!|
| The Mythology of a Western Fort
Fort Verde is typical of western forts built in the 1870's and 1880's but our vision of forts comes from movies. Log stockades with towers and John Wayne fearlessly firing his rifle at attacking Indians. The reality is different. In truth, the Indians were sophisticated fighters who knew they would be outnumbered and outgunned and rarely attacked forts.
Building materials were a concern. Many forts were located in barren, treeless areas and building . . . — Map (db m40815) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape|
Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape
Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2000.
Pecan Lane played a significant part in the agricultural history of Camp Verde. During
the late 19th century and early twentieth centuries the community served as the breadbasket for
the major towns in Yavapai and Coconino Counties, including Jerome, Prescott, and Flagstaff.
Once a . . . — Map (db m27855) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — The Congressional Medal of Honor - Apache Campaign 1872 - 1873|
|The following named individuals were assigned, either permanently or temporarily, to Camp Verde, Arizona Territory. While stationed here their personal action in combat was above and beyond the call of duty, earning them the nation's highest award.
The Congressional Medal of
Winter Campaign 1872-1873
Awarded March 1875
Pvt. Chiquito • Pvt. Blanquet
Awarded April 12, 1875
Sgt. Jim • Pvt. Nannasaddie • . . . — Map (db m28593) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Chino Valley — Del Rio Springs|
|Site of original Camp Whipple established December 1863
From January 22 to May 18, 1864 the offices of the Territorial Government of Arizona were operated from tents and log cabins here, before being moved to Prescott the first permanent capital. — Map (db m33444) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Clarkdale — Clark Memorial Clubhouse — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1982|
|Clarkdale was planned, owned and developed by William A. Clark of Montana, owner of the United Verde Copper Company on Cleopatra Hill in Jerome. In 1911 Clark decided to change from the extraction process of mining to an "open pit" method. Because of their position at the top of the mine, both the smelter and the railroad terminus had to be relocated. The search for a new smelter site led to the founding of Clarkdale.
The Clubhouse was built as a memorial to William Andrews Clark after his . . . — Map (db m33200) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Clarkdale — United Verde Copper Company Smelter|
|The U.V.C.C. Clarkdale smelter was built through the vision of William A. Clark, owner of the United Verde Mine in Jerome. The Smelter was constructed between 1912-1915 to replace the outdated Jerome smelter.
On May 26, 1915 the first furnace was blown in, belching sulfur-laden smoke from the 400' steel stack. In 1922 the Cottrell Plant with a new 430' brick stack was added. For the peak year of 1929, hundreds of workers handled the 1.75 million tons of ore, producing 12 million pounds of . . . — Map (db m33199) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Congress — Congress, Arizona|
|In 1863 Pauline Weaver and Abraham Peeples came from California to find gold. They found gold and the rush was on. In 1887 The Congress mine was formed and the town had a name. On March 14, 1895 the railroad came. Congress was booming. In 1910, after producing over 7 ½ million dollars, the gold ran out.The second boom started with U.S. highway 89 in 1926.The post office moved to Congress Junction in 1938, where it remains.
The community now known as Congress is the old Congress Junction. . . . — Map (db m59977) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Congress — In Memory of Charles Churchill Small|
in Memory of
Charles Churchill Small
Member American Society of
1874 [ Relief of Charles Small ] 1932
Father of Arizona Highways — Map (db m29470) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Dewey — Historic Site of Orchard Ranch — Home of Sharlot Mabridth Hall — (1870-1943)|
|In 1890 James and Adeline Hall purchased 130 acres here above the junction of the Agua Fria River and Lynx Creek. The Halls named their homestead "Orchard Ranch" and, with the help of their children, Sharlot and Ted, produced apples and beef.
Life on the ranch instilled in Sharlot a love of Arizona's pioneer ways. She wrote about early Arizonans and collected documents and artifacts. In 1927, after the deaths of her parents, she sold the ranch and moved her collections into the 1864 log . . . — Map (db m33059) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Bartlett Hotel|
|Before the Bartlett Hotel, the Grandview Hotel, a wooden structure built in 1895 stood here as the first two-story building in Jerome. It had rooms for dances, dining and sleeping. In 1898 the structure was destroyed by fire. The Bartlett Hotel was then built of brick in 1901. It had five rooms for stores on the sub-level along First Street. The interior was lavish with each room decorated in a different color. The office of The News, Jerome's longest running newspaper, was in the . . . — Map (db m33166) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Hotel Connor|
|This native stone and brick building was built in 1898. David Connor, proprietor, was an Irish-American who originally owned the Stone Saloon on the site of this hotel. In 1897 he added the second floor and called his building the Hotel Connor. Devastating fires in 1897 and 1899 destroyed the hotel twice, but each time David Connor was able to rebuild. The Hotel Connor was billed as "second to none in the southwest". Its rooms and common areas were elegantly furnished and carpeted with each . . . — Map (db m33155) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Husband's Alley|
|With Jerome's rough and tumble early days came the red-light district and prostitutes. Much of the red-light district was located on Hull Avenue, the road below Main Street. In 1913, reformers helped pass an ordinance restricting houses of ill fame from being located downtown. Citizens showed their disdain for the law by naming the alleyway from Main Street to Hull Avenue "Husbands' Alley". Red-light district buildings on Hull Avenue included the Cribs, a brick structure that no longer exists. . . . — Map (db m33154) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jennie's Place|
|This building was originally a brothel known as Jennie's Place. It was built in 1898 by Legendary Madam Belgian Jennie Bauters, who came to Jerome from Belgium in 1896.
This was her third building on this site. The first burned down in 1897. Her second building, pictured at the left, was destroyed in the fire of 1898. Jennie is the woman in the black dress in the center of the balcony. The current building, which featured the first concrete sidewalk in Jerome, is one of the few in the . . . — Map (db m33152) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome Blast Furnace|
|This is one of the two old furnaces found in place on The Hampton Lode, United Verde Copper Company Mines, at Jerome Arizona on March 5, 1888 when I first visited the property. I started operation on this furnace and also the other one on May 22, 1888.
Maximum capacity of about 60 tons of ore per day.
New Clarkdale plant blown in on May 28, 1915 — Map (db m33147) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome Town Hall|
|The original Jerome Town Hall was built in the late 1800s. The town quickly outgrew the small space and by 1929 a bond had passed to enlarge the old brick building. New construction was to be of concrete. In addition to enlarging town hall, a police department, a fire department and bays for three fire trucks were added. The total cost of the project was $35,000. — Map (db m33145) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome, Arizona — Too Strong to Die|
|The first mining claims were filed in 1876, within 20 years Jerome was a billion dollar copper mecca and one of the wildest, wickedest mining towns in the west. Drinking, gambling, brawls and frolicking with ladies of the night occurred around–the-clock in two dozen magnificent saloons.
By the time mining shut down in 1952, enough copper had been produced to put 13 pounds in the hands of every citizen in the world. Gold and silver production covered mining expenses.
Through the . . . — Map (db m33149) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome's Famous Sliding Jail|
|Back in 1905, the town jail was in the basement of what was then the Tony Kauzlarich House below the Dicus and Wagner Garage. Louis St. James was the magistrate and conservator of the peace.
What is believed to be Jerome's 3rd jail was located in the town yard between Main Street and Hull Ave. It pulled apart from the wood structure to which it was attached, and in the mid 30's during the slides, it slowly crept 225 feet from its original location to settle in the middle of Hull Avenue. . . . — Map (db m71963) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Laura Williams Memorial Park|
|Laura Williams owned the antique museum which housed numerous artifacts from Jerome. Laura was one of the founding members of the Jerome Historical Society and served as the Secretary/Treasurer from 1953-1974. She was an employee of Newmont Exploration, LTD and assisted in negotiating the purchase of all the real estate at one time owned by the Jerome Historical Society. She was active in the American Legion, Secretary of Eastern Star for 32 years and Secretary-Treasurer for the Haven Methodist . . . — Map (db m33189) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Main Street Primary School|
|You are standing at the second story entrance to what once was a three story primary school. The land was purchased, a bond was passed and construction began in 1913. It opened May 29, 1914 to graduate 3 seniors: Francis Lyons, Gertrude Rothermel and T. Edward Peacock.
The building became inadequate almost immediately despite $18,000 being spent on major alterations, and another school was built in 1920 in Deception Gulch.
Following the decline in copper prices in 1932, the school . . . — Map (db m33191) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Mine Museum/Fashion Saloon|
|The mine museum, one of Jerome's oldest commercial buildings, was purchased by J.S. Hoover and A.C. Cordiner from G.A. Stoney in 1896. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1898. An architect from Los Angles built the present building with steel fire shutters which were somehow left open during another fire in 1899 which gutted the interior and damaged the roof. The restored Fashion Saloon was called "the leading sporting house in all Northern Arizona" the motto was "we never sleep". In 1920, . . . — Map (db m33157) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — New State Motor Building|
|The New State Motor Company building was built of concrete in 1918 under the ownership of Dan Shea. A car dealership and show room were located upstairs and a garage downstairs. Inside the building an elevator delivered cars to the lower floor. A hole was later cut into the side of the building and a wooden ramp from main street was added for second floor access. The ramp was removed in the late 1930's. Selna's Market occupied the building in the 1940's. In 1943 the U.S. Post Office moved in . . . — Map (db m33151) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Paul and Jerry's Saloon|
|This saloon was built in 1899 to replace the original structure that was destroyed by fire. It operated as the Senate Saloon with a Chinese restaurant downstairs. It soon became the largest gambling establishment in the southwest. During prohibition years it operated as a billiard parlor and confectionary. Paul Vojnic bought the business from the Fischer estate in 1939 and called it the Kentucky Buffet. He later bought the building from the Jerome Historical Society, changed the name to Paul . . . — Map (db m33164) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Reese and Amster Garage|
|This one-half story wood frame structure with corrugated sheet metal was built in the 1920's. It was the Reese and Amster White Garage and Machine Shop. Vehicles sold by Reese and Amster included the Chrysler 50, 60 and 70 and the Maxwell Car, which notably carried 10 persons up Schnebly Hill in Sedona with the throttle never more than half open. Later Reese and Amster also carried Buick, Dodge, The Oakland Roaster, Willys-Knight and Ford Touring Car to name a few. — Map (db m33150) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Sullivan Apartments|
|Built in 1917, the first floor of this four-story apartment, housed the Independent Meat Company. A passage was built from the cooler of the meat company up to the apartments to allow cool air to pass into them. Originally there were nine apartments, three in the front and six in the back. Each front apartment had two Murphy beds, which in that time were newly invented. The building was furnished by Jerome's Miner Furniture Store. The total cost of the building and its furnishings was $25,000. . . . — Map (db m33190) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Gibson Market|
|The Gibson Market was originally built as a grocery store with an above apartment in 1917 by James and Ethel Hamilton. After Ethel's husband died in the flu epidemic of 1918, she was the sole proprietor until 1929. In 1919, Ethel married Myron L. Scott, Fire Chief of Jerome. Clarence Gibson became a partner in 1930 and the store name was changed to the Scott and Gibson Market. In 1931 Gibson bought out the Scotts and the store was named the Gibson market. Tony and Emory Kauzalrich, who owned . . . — Map (db m33192) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Saloon|
|In 1896, one of the first wooden structures built in Jerome occupied this site and was known as "The Saloon". The Saloon building survived two years before succumbing to fire, which destroyed most of Jerome in 1898. The structure was rebuilt only to be burned down again in 1899. Mrs. Hannah Laub, a Kentucky whiskey dealer, built this small brick structure later that year. This long narrow building occupies only half of a lot and shares common walls with adjacent structures. It housed saloons . . . — Map (db m33165) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Whitten Printers|
|Carl E.C. Whitten, graduate of Jerome High School and son of immigrant parents, worked for the Prescott Evening Courier before moving back to Jerome in 1927. Carl purchased the Verde Copper News which began in Jerome in 1917. He purchased the newspaper from A.J. "Papa" Doud. Carl married Marie Springer in 1933. She was head of nursing at the Phelps Dodge Hospital, and Carl was the youngest owner-publisher of a newspaper in Arizona.
Due to the decline in mining operations, Jerome residents . . . — Map (db m33163) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Kirkland — Kirkland Bar and Steakhouse — Kirkland, Arizona|
|In the late 1800's, Thomas Earnhart erected the Kirkland Store on the site of today's Kirkland Bar and Steakhouse.
In the early 1900's, Louis Haselfeld assumed ownership and opened the Haselfeld Store. The original wood frame building burned in 1922 and was rebuilt in 1923 by erecting a new concrete building on the original foundation. Over time, the building has served as a mercantile store, Wells Fargo Office, Post Office, stage and rail stop, hotel, restaurant and bar.
The current . . . — Map (db m33046) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Kirkland — Malvina Lode Claim — Mineral Survey No. 4158|
|Site of Assay Office
and way stop on road to Prescott — Map (db m33043) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Lifeline / Prehistoric Produce|
Beaver Creek has always been a major focus of life in the Verde Valley. Prehistoric Sinagua farmers constructed Montezuma Castle and other structures near the creek. They dug ditches to carry creek water to irrigate the fields of corn, beans, squash, and cotton they cultivated on flat patches of creek-bottom land. They also hunted animals attracted by the creek, and gathered creekside plants.
Ever-sensitive to the moods of Beaver Creek – because their lives literally . . . — Map (db m40868) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Macaw Pen Stone?|
| Could This Stone Be The Opening to a Macaw Pen?
Where Did This Stone Come From?
Who Used It?
Why Is This Stone at Montezuma Castle?
Did the Ancient Sinaguans Possibly
Raise Macaws Here?
In the 15th century, near modern-day Casa Grande in northern Mexico, thrived a vibrant community and trading center called Paquime. There, tropical birds called macaws, were brought up from the jungles far to the south. Thousands of macaws were bred and raised in compact adobe boxes that . . . — Map (db m40895) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Community|
| A farming community of perhaps 200 people prospered here for more than three centuries. The Castle was home to 35 or so of these people. Archeologists suggest they may have fled what is today the Flagstaff area due to overpopulation around A.D. 1100. Their name, “Sinagua,” is a variation of the Spanish “sin agua,” which means “without water.”
The excavation of mounds of broken pottery, worn-out tools, animal bones, and other trash at the base of the cliff . . . — Map (db m40840) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Neighborhood / Mysterious Departures|
| The Neighborhood
You can see Montezuma Castle and Castle A from here. If you look closely at the Cliffside, you might spot other ledges and caves used by the Sinagua.
The Sinagua people who made their homes here may have been a closely-knit community of families and friends. Even though the trappings of civilization change over time, people’s social needs don’t. Take a moment to imagine busy villagers doing their daily chores, perhaps chatting about the weather, crops, an upcoming . . . — Map (db m40869) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The People Next Door|
| Here’s another “castle” – this one called “A” by the archeologists who excavated it in the 1930s.
Like neighboring Montezuma Castle, Castle A was occupied by Sinagua farmers between A.D. 1200 and 1450. However, with 45 rooms and an estimated occupancy of 100, it was much larger. It’s not nearly as well preserved, because sometime before the Sinaguas’ mysterious disappearance in the late 1400s a fire destroyed almost all interior features. All you can see today . . . — Map (db m40863) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Way Up / Construction Sequence|
| The Way Up
How in the world do you build a structure large enough to house 35 people high up on a steep canyon wall? Sound impossible? Here’s how Montezuma Castle’s ingenious Sinagua farmers managed it.
1. Limestone ledges and caves before the castle was built.
2. First construction; a six-room unit (3rd floor).
3. Small room added at west (left) end; one room built on next (4th) floor.
4. Fourth floor expanded. Two rooms built in small cave . . . — Map (db m40860) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Welcome to The Castle|
| Pause a few moments to enjoy this view of Montezuma Castle. Don't you suppose it must have stopped the settlers and soldiers who first saw the cliff-dwelling over a century ago?
The odd name came from a mistaken belief that the cliff-dwelling was a castle Aztec refugees had built for their emperor. We know now that Montezuma never strayed this far north from his home in Mexico, but the name has stuck.
Why did a community of prehistoric farmers choose this particular alcove high in the . . . — Map (db m40819) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — 8 — Arizona Pioneer Home|
|To those responsible for the Arizona pioneer's home
A. J. Doran
Introduced enabling legislation - 1907
Supervised construction - 1910
First Superintendent – 1911
George D. Morris
Successful enabling legislation – 1909
Joseph H. Kibbey - Governor
Signed legislation March 11, 1909
Frank M. Murphy & T.G. Norris
Donators of the land for the home
W.S. Elliott - Architect
Norman L. Griffin - 1833-1916
Louis B. St. James - . . . — Map (db m32903) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Arizona Pioneers' Home|
|Territory of Arizona
MCMX ― MCMXI
Home for Aged and Infirm Arizona Pioneers
Established by act of the Twenty-Fifth Legislature under the administration of Governor Joseph H. Kibbey.
Erected under the direction of the Board of Control, Richard E. Sloan, Governor. W. C. Foster and G. A. Mauk, Auditors and Robert A. Craig, Citizen Member.
A. J. Doran, Superintendent.
W. S. Elliott, Architect.
Copper plate from mines of the United Verde Copper Co. — Map (db m33047) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Bashford Block|
|Originally this was the site of A.G. Dunn's Butcher Shop, which provided fresh locally grown beef from Dunn's ranch. This was followed by Hubbard's drug store which was later owned by W.W.Ross. The drug store was purchased by Harry Brisley in 1899. Brisley's carried a variety of medicines, medical supplies, prescription drugs, stationery, soap and perfumes. Their most popular item was the picture post card, first introduced to Prescott by Harry Brisley. After the fire of July 14, 1900, the . . . — Map (db m20292) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Bashford Burmister Company|
|Coles Bashford arrived in Prescott in 1864 and was the first President of the Territorial Legislature. In 1874, Coles, his brother Levi, and son William formed a partnership with Robert Burmister. The Bashford-Burmister Company became one of the largest mercantile stores in northern Arizona, selling everything from mining supplies to fresh vegetables. Bashford advertised that his was the only store in Arizona that received goods directly from New York City. The original structure burned in the . . . — Map (db m18806) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Citizens Cemetery|
|Citizens Cemetery was founded in early June 1864 with the burial of Colorado legislator Joel Woods. Established on public land east of Prescott and southwest of Fort Whipple, the cemetery has been known at various times as “Town Cemetery”, “City Cemetery”, “Prescott Cemetery" and “Citizen’s Burying Ground”. The name “Citizens Cemetery” first appeared in print in January 1872. The United States deeded the land to Virginia Koch in 1876. After . . . — Map (db m21668) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — City Jail and Firehouse|
| This Romanesque/Classical Revival building was constructed in 1895 and served as both a fire station (on the first floor) and the City jail (on the second). It is one of the two buildings facing the Courthouse Plaza that survived the fire of 1900. After construction of a new fire station and jail, the building saw various uses and was heavily stuccoed, covering many of its original features. Careful restoration in 1980 revealed the excellent tufa stone work that was quarried locally. — Map (db m33090) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — City Park and Ballfield|
|Since 1908, the area of Prescott now known as Ken Lindley Field has been used as a public park and ballfield. The land was deeded to the City of Prescott by Charles T. and Ada M. Joslin in 1922. As Mrs. Joslin requested, the City later donated part of the land to the Smoki People for their museum and pueblo and to the Arizona National Guard for the Armory, now the Prescott Activity Center.
In 1931, during the Great Depression, the grandstand was constructed as a City public works project . . . — Map (db m21161) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Grace M. Sparkes — 1893 – 1963|
|There was a time when progress in Yavapai County was spelled S-P-A-R-K-E-S. Grace M. Sparkes came to Prescott, Arizona Territory, at the age of 14 in 1906. By 1911, she was working for the Yavapai County Chamber of Commerce as Secretary, a job she held for 34 years. In this capacity, and due significantly to her influence, the economy of Yavapai County remained stable through her tenure with a diverse base of tourism, health, mining, ranching and forestry. Among many other accomplishments, Miss . . . — Map (db m33137) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Granite Creek|
|American History in Arizona is quite recent, although the history of the Native American, Spanish and Mexican occupation periods are much older. Encampments of Native Americans were drawn to the creeks, which offered a fairly reliable source of fresh water, and the Anglo settlers followed suit. The first known Anglo-Americans to camp in the vicinity of Prescott were the Walker and Weaver parties in 1863. The Walker Party camped on the banks of Granite Creek in what is now downtown Prescott. . . . — Map (db m33064) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hassayampa Inn|
|After ten years of planning, community leaders of Prescott finally raised sufficient funds to build a modern hotel which catered to the "auto tourist" in downtown Prescott -- The Hassayampa Inn. On February 28, 1927, at the site of the former Conner Hotel which burned in 1923, ground was broken for the construction of Prescott's first "community" hotel. Designed by Trost and Trost of El Paso in collaboration with Prescott architect Chris Totten, the Mission/Spanish Revival style hotel was built . . . — Map (db m20621) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Head Hotel|
|Colonel C. P. Head was in the hardware business in Prescott by about 1866. By 1875, Colonel Head was involved in several businesses including hardware, lumber and a hotel. He served in the territorial House of Representatives from Yavapai County for the 1875-1877 term. Colonel Head was described by Willaim A. Farish as "a most excellent gentleman, a business man of wealth." By 1916, there were 16 hotels in Prescott, including the 80-room Head Hotel. Built by A. J. Head just after the fire of . . . — Map (db m20296) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hotel St. Michael|
|The cornerstone of historic "Whiskey Row", the Hotel St. Michael, represents the coming of age of Prescott's hostelries. Constructed on the site of the modest Hotel Burke, which burned in 1900, the new three-story hotel was designed by D. W. Millard in the Second Renaissance Revival style. Built of brick and stone, it is decorated with stone faces or "gargoyles", which allegedly represent crude images of local politicians. Opened June 1, 1901, the hotel offered "gracious accommodations" and the . . . — Map (db m33065) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hotel Vendome|
|The Hotel Vendome, referred to in a contemporary newspaper article as an "apartment house", was built on South Cortez Street in 1917 by J. B. Jones. An article in Yavapai Magazine in November 1917 refers to it as the "Hotel Vendome" and states "its construction will fill a need for housing in the town which was crucial even when the summer visitors were induced to return home." The hotel is constructed of dark red wire-cut brick with a traditional brick cornice. A two-story veranda extends . . . — Map (db m18862) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — J. I. Gardner Store|
|J. I. Gardner came to Prescott with a pack train in 1879 and opened his first mercantile store in 1883. The J. I. Gardner Store was built on this corner in 1890. Gardner's motto was "all goods guaranteed to be first class". They carried every type of "general supply and merchandise" including fresh fruit and vegetables, coffee, tea and spices, flour, sugar, canned goods, household goods, pots and pans and wallpaper, dress goods and boots, shirts, coats and hats, sheep dip, farming and ranching . . . — Map (db m41960) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — John Towhey|
14 Inf. N.Y.
Plaque Attached to Stone:
-- January 1970 --
This stone with inscription of incident was originally located on the Yavapai Indian Reservation approximately 1000 yards northwest of this site.
It was donated to the Veterans Administration Center by the Yavapai Indian Tribe for viewing by the public. — Map (db m21966) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Knights of Pythias Building|
|With the exception of the Courthouse, the Knights of Pythias Building, also known as the Tilton Building, has always been the tallest building on the Plaza at 46 feet. It was dedicated on November 27, 1895, and is one of the few buildings that survived the fire of 1900. The building originally housed retail on the first floor, office space on the second floor, and a large open hall on the third floor as the meeting room of the Knights of Pythias, an early social fraternal organization attended . . . — Map (db m21625) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Lincoln School|
|In early 1908, the Prescott School Board decided that a new school was needed in Prescott. On July 12, 1908, a school bond election was held and approved by the voters 119-1. In August 1908, the three acre site on Park Avenue on the west side of town was selected because it "was becoming increasingly popular as a residential area". The school was designed in a traditional style with Neo-Classical influences by architect W. S. Elliott and was to be constructed of red brick. A contract with . . . — Map (db m33049) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Montezuma Street|
|The one hundred block of South Montezuma Street has long been known as "Whiskey Row" for the numerous saloons which once lined the street. As Prescott poet Gail Gardner once wrote of "Whiskey Row":
"Oh they starts her in at the Kaintucky bar, At the head of Whiskey Row, And they winds up down by the Depot House, Some forty drinks below."
On July 14, 1900 this block was totally destroyed by fire. Within a few days of the fire, new construction was underway in brick and masonry. Most of . . . — Map (db m20622) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Nob Hill — East Union Street|
|Originally a part of the Capitol Block, which was set aside in 1864 for a Territorial Capitol Building, the south half of the block was sold at auction. John Lawler, a miner, capitalist and real estate developer, bought the entire block and built a "double house" on the east end of the block. The Lawler House is unique because it is one structure containing two houses divided down the middle from front to back along the lot line. It is also very plain, with none of the typical features of the . . . — Map (db m20618) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Pauline Weaver — Truly a Great Man|
|Pioneer • Prospector • Scout • Guide
Truly a Great Man
Born in Tennessee in 1800
Died at Camp Verde
June 21, 1867
He was born, lived and died on the frontier of this country, always in the ever advancing westward move of civilization and was the first settler on the site of Prescott.
He was descended from the best blood of the white man and the Native American and his greatest achievement was as peacemaker between the races, understanding as few ever did . . . — Map (db m33051) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Pauline Weaver — 1800 – 1867|
|Known as Prescott's first citizen, Weaver was a trapper, miner, Army Scout and friend of the Indians.
He was camped near this spot in 1863 and 1864 when gold miners and government officials first entered the area. — Map (db m33052) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Plaza Bandstand|
|As early as 1865, Lucian Bonaparte Jewell organized a Brass Band in Prescott, but by the 1870s the regimental bands from Ft. Whipple began to dominate the local music scene. The original Plaza Bandstand, built in the late 1800s, had survived the fire of 1900, but was eventually removed. On July 8, 1908, The Prescott Brass Band was reorganized and showed interest in erecting a permanent ornamental Bandstand on the Plaza. It was not until May, 1910, that Henry Rockmark was awarded the contact for . . . — Map (db m59299) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott|
|Prescott, Yavapai County Seat, founded 1864 on Granite Creek, source of Placer gold. Named for William Hickling Prescott, Historian, first Gov. JN. N. Goodwin, Appointee of Abraham Lincoln. Established first territorial capital of Arizona here. At Governor's Mansion, two blocks west, the first legislature met July 18, 1864. Site of first graded school in Arizona. Disastrous fire started by miner's candle destroyed four blocks about this square in 1900. — Map (db m18805) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott|
Founded 1864 on Granite Creek, early source of placer gold. Former territorial capital of Arizona. Now a center for ranching, mining, health, especially asthma relief. Located here on site of old Ft. Whipple is Whipple Veterans Hospital. Seat of First Governor's Mansion, and Arizona Pioneer's Home. Frontier Days, oldest rodeo in the west, began here. — Map (db m20298) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club|
|Three very prominent buildings once stood on East Gurley Street between Alarcon and Marina Streets – The Territorial Capital Building, Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club.
Originally, the property between Alarcon and Marina streets on Gurley Street was the site of the red brick building which housed the Territorial Legislature and Prescott City Hall. Built in 1884, it was remodeled in 1904 for use as a high school. In 1914, it was demolished and a new high school was . . . — Map (db m33095) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott National Bank|
|The Prescott National Bank was organized by William Bashford, R.N. Fredericks and others in March, 1893. In October, 1900 Bank President Frank N. Murphy announced the construction of a new bank building on the "Old Wooster Block" at Prescott's "banking intersection" of Gurley and Cortez. The building was completed in January, 1902. Construction of yellow brick with stone accents, identical entrances on Gurley and Cortez Streets are each flanked by two sets of blue granite columns. The bank . . . — Map (db m27224) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott National Guard Armory|
|Prescott was one of the first towns in Arizona to have a National Guard Unit. Companies B and C of the First Territorial Rifles were organized in Prescott in 1865 and Company M of the First Arizona Infantry was organized in 1910. Company M of the 158th Infantry of the National Guard of Arizona received Federal recognition February 3, 1930. This Company originally used a church on South Montezuma Street as their Armory, but it was described as "totally inadequate".
The Prescott National . . . — Map (db m33136) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai county), Prescott — Prescott Public Library|
|Prescott's modern public library was dedicated on May 18, 1975. However, the history of a public library in Prescott goes back to August 1895, when seven local ladies founded the Women's Club of Prescott (now the Monday Club). They gathered a collection of books from local households and opened a reading room. This venture was supported with membership dues, but the dream of the Women's Club was to establish a free reading room. In July 1899, Julia Goldwater wrote a letter to Andrew Carnegie . . . — Map (db m52912) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County|
|The City of Prescott had its beginnings in the Spring of 1863 when a party of explorers and would-be gold miners led by the famed Joseph R. Walker arrived near the headwaters of the Hassayampa River. On May 10, 1863, at a location some six miles south-southeast of this Plaza, twenty-five members of the Walker Prospecting and Mining Company adopted "Laws and Resolutions" governing members of the first mining district in what would later become Yavapai County. The rules for the "Pioneer Mining . . . — Map (db m20623) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Ruffner Plaza Stables|
|The Ruffner Plaza Stables were built on this lot purchased from Frank Murphy for $3,600. In May 1898, a local newspaper reported that it was "one of the most substantial as well as ornamental improvements which has been put up for several years. It is said to be one of the handsomest buildings of the kind in the Southwest and far ahead of any similar structure in Arizona." In February 1922, Ruffner sold the business to Dixon Fagerbert, who remodeled the building into a modern garage. The . . . — Map (db m20297) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory|
|In the fall of 1878 the Sisters of St. Joseph came to Prescott. Money was raised in the community for a hospital to be run by the sisters and by 1881 the hospital had been completed on North Marina Street. In June of 1891 construction was started next door on Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The church was designed by Frank Parker under the direction of Father Alfred Quetu. Fr. Quetu was the prime mover behind the building of the church. The first services were held on February 17, 1895. . . . — Map (db m21603) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Santa Fe Depot|
|Prescott’s first railroad arrived on December 31, 1886. The current depot was built by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway, also known as the “Peavine”, in 1907. Designed in the Mission Revival style of poured concrete with a barrel tile roof, it occupies a prominent location at the north end of Cortez Street and was the center of shipping and receiving in Yavapai County. The tracks were last in use on December 31, 1986, the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the railroad. . . . — Map (db m18767) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai county), Prescott — Simmons, Arizona|
|This is the site of ‘the crossing' on the Mojave-Prescott "Hardyville" toll road. The road was authorized by the first territorial legislature and was built by W. H. Hardy, connecting Prescott with Hardyville on the Colorado River.
William John Simmons built a home, bar, hotel, dance hall, post office, store, corrals, blacksmith, and storage buildings here. — Map (db m72625) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Curtis Hall/ — Curtis Duplex & Curtis Cottages|
|George W. Curtis came to Prescott from California in 1864, and in 1867 purchased an interest in a sawmill. He purchased a building on Granite Creek on South McCormick Street, and he and his brother John enlarged and modified the building in 1878. This building was known as Curtis Hall and was used as the meeting place for the Territorial Legislature from 1879 to early 1885 and as City Hall. Curtis Hall was described as a "mammoth frame house" which "overshadows every edifice in town". This . . . — Map (db m33062) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Goldwater Brothers Mercantile|
|The Goldwater Brothers, Morris and Michael, arrived in Arizona from California in 1876. They opened one of the area's first general merchandising stores on the southeast corner of Cortez and Goodwin (where City Hall is now located). Three years later they built a new, larger establishment on this site. A leading citizen of early Prescott, Morris served as mayor from 1879-1880, 1894-1897, 1905-1913, and 1919-1927. Both of the Goldwater homes in Prescott are still standing, and one is listed in . . . — Map (db m20616) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Howey's Hall|
|The southeast corner of Goodwin and Cortez Street was the site of Howey's Hall, which was built on the first lot sold (for $175) in Prescott by James Howey in 1876. The Goldwaters had their first mercantile store here. It was later converted to an opera house "dedicated to mirth and dancing". It was a secondhand store when the City purchased it in 1904 for a fire station. Howey's Hall was demolished in 1959, replaced by today's City Hall. — Map (db m33092) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Territorial Courthouse|
|The courthouse you see today, constructed in 1916 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is not the original one on this site. The first courthouse constructed on the Plaza, one of two city blocks set aside in 1864 for government use, was a smaller, but more elaborate brick structure built in 1878. It was an impressive structure that immediately became the symbolic focal point of young Yavapai County. Many important cases were heard here in the day when Prescott served as the . . . — Map (db m18132) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of the O'Neill/Munds House|
|A beautiful Victorian Cottage which faced East Sheldon Street was built on this site by W. B. Jones. On November 15, 1893, William Owen (Buckey) O'Neill and his wife Pauline moved into the house. O'Neill used a portion of the upstairs as his office where he published his livestock newspaper, "Hoof and Horn".
O'Neill, who came to Arizona in 1879 at the age of 19, met his future wife, Pauline Marie Schindler, in Prescott in 1885. They were married on April 27, 1886. Two days later, "Buckey" . . . — Map (db m20619) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor — 1866 - 1922|
|This free-spirited Son of the West, sensitive to the changing era in which he lived, portrayed the western epic in marble and bronze. Our "Bucky O'Neill" monumental bronze is among his greatest works, and is acclaimed by art critics as one of the finest equestrian monuments in the world. — Map (db m21165) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Bank of Arizona and the Electric Buildings|
|A bank was an important asset to a new and growing community. Chartered by Solomon Lewis and M. W. Kales in 1877, the Bank of Arizona was the first business in the Arizona Territory devoted exclusively to banking. The partners built a two-story structure at the southeast corner of Gurley and Cortez Streets. Soon, this building was inadequate and a new design competition was announced in January 1900 for a new building. Work commenced in August 1900. The new bank building, designed in a . . . — Map (db m20295) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Carnegie Library|
|Prescott's first library consisted of over 300 volumes brought to the Territory in 1864 by Secretary of State Richard C. McCormick. In 1870, a group of local women opened a reading room with 263 books collected from local citizens and out-of-town newspapers. Run by private parties, this was the only source of library material. In 1895 the Women's Club of Prescott (later knows ad the "Monday Club") was formed. Their dream was to establish a free library "as attractive as an evening resort". . . . — Map (db m20814) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Day Octagon|
|The Day Octagon is the oldest known fired brick building in Arizona. Built in 1877 by Lowell and Crouch for Dr. Warren E. Day, it is significant as the first surgical hospital in Arizona Territory, where Dr. Day pulled teeth, delivered babies, fitted eyeglasses and cared for the community's other medical needs. It embodies many of the features described by Orson Fowler in his book "The Octagon House A Home for All". Fowler subscribed to the idea that the octagon was the shape most closely a . . . — Map (db m33138) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Ehle Family and the Montezuma Hotel|
|Joseph and Margaret Ehle arrived in Prescott, Arizona Territory, on July 13, 1864 with their children, John Henry, Mary Jane, Amy E., Olive Joan, Sarah F. and Margaret Viola. Mr. Ehle helped to build the log Governor's Mansion (now part of Sharlot Hall Museum). The Ehle were the first settlers in the area to have domesticated honeybees and chickens, and Mrs. Ehle's yellow cat was worth her weight in gold, as her kittens sold for an ounce of gold, over twenty dollars apiece. Mrs. Ehle, known as . . . — Map (db m33133) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Fire of 1900|
|A disastrous fire on the night of July 14, 1900 changed the face of downtown Prescott. Starting in a room in the Scopel Hotel on the southwest corner of Goodwin and Montezuma Streets, the fire quickly hopped across Goodwin Street and proceeded to consume all of the buildings on "Whiskey Row," leveling the entire block. Though some of the Plaza buildings were built of brick, many were wood, and the destruction was nearly complete. The fire burned almost everything in its path to Granite Creek . . . — Map (db m20811) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association|
|The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association jointly recognize this significant tree in this bicentennial year as having lived here during the American Revolutionary Period. 1776 1976.
[Added brass plate:]
"Arizona White Oak estimated 340 years old" — Map (db m18861) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Mulvenon Building|
|Completed in August 1901, the Mulvenon Building was one of the first buildings constructed after the fire of 1900. It replaced a one-story wood-frame saloon building which was destroyed in the fire. Built by William J. Mulvenon, who arrived in Prescott in 1876, it is typical of the late 19th Century Territorial Commercial style with a prominent central arch over the main entrance. It is constructed of locally made brick, although the brick on the front of the building is of better quality than . . . — Map (db m20615) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Palace Saloon|
|The exact age of Prescott's Palace Saloon is something of a puzzle. The first reliable documentation is an item from the September 21, 1877 Arizona Weekly Miner: "Mess'rs Shaw and Standefer have fitted up the Palace Saloon in the most superb style and fitted it with choice liquors of every conceivable kind."
An 1883 fire destroyed most of "The Row", including the Palace. Owner Robert Brow rebuilt in brick, with a stone foundation and iron roof. The interior featured a 20 foot long . . . — Map (db m21163) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — VFW Bucky O'Neill Post No. 541|
|Founded in Jan. 1921 and named after the famous Rough Rider William "Bucky" O'Neill, the post is the oldest active VFW post in Arizona. Born Feb. 2, 1860 in St. Louis, Missouri, his many accomplishments include being a Lawyer, Judge, Sheriff, Editor of 3 newspapers and Mayor of Prescott, Az. He was killed in action July, 1, 1898 in the battle for San Juan, Cuba. On his grave at Arlington it is written "Who would not die for a new star on the flag" — Map (db m68732) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Washington School|
|The first public school in Prescott was opened in 1867. In 1876 a four-room brick public school building was erected here. It was known as the "Prescott Free Academy". In 1903 that building was torn down and replaced by Washington School. Washington School was designed by D. Kilpatrick in a Classical Revival style. It was constructed of deep red brick with tuff and cement trim and "presents a handsome appearance from the exterior". The school opened on September 1, 1903. The bell from the . . . — Map (db m33094) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Welcome to Prescott|
|Founded in 1864, Prescott is Arizona's Mile High City and seat of Yavapai County government. Named for historian William Hickling Prescott, it was established on the banks of Granite Creek in 1864.
Today it is the home to the Bob Stump VA Medical Center located on the site of old Fort Whipple, as well as the Arizona Pioneers' Home, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Yavapai College and Prescott College. Cultural attractions are: Sharlot Hall Museum, the Phippen Museum of Western Art, . . . — Map (db m33042) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Whiskey Row — Historic Site|
|By the early 1870s a full block of saloons, gambling halls and hotels made this the wildest part of town. Some of the saloons brewed their own beer and most drinks sold for 12½ (cents) each. On July 14, 1900 a disastrous fire swept the Row and destroyed four and a half blocks of the business district. The Row rebuilt quickly and still serves as a focal point of Prescott. — Map (db m21164) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott National Forest — Cleator, Arizona|
|Cleator was established in 1884 as a placer gold mining site in the Turkey Creek Mining District. A post office opened in July of 1869, but closed a few months later. James Cleator came to Arizona in 1900 to prospect in the Bradshaw mountains. In 1905 he bought half of the interest in Turkey Creek's store and saloon from Lev Pierce Nellis. After the partnership split, in 1915, James Cleator became the town's owner and also opened a post office. In 1920 mining declined and the population fell. . . . — Map (db m74224) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Carl Richards' Garage|
| Carl Richards constructed this building in 1947 as his blacksmith shop. At the time, auto garage work was just a sideline. Richards is known as Sedona's first 'Fire Chief' because he kept the town's first fire truck in his garage. If there was a fire, someone had to find Carl to get the keys. The building also served as a community hall for town meetings and dances. — Map (db m78744) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Orchards (1890 - 1970)|
|Fruit growing played a significant role in the early Sedona economy. Over time, settlers constructed ditches, flumes, pipelines, reservoirs, and water wheels to provide irrigation to their gardens and eventually to their larger orchards.
Apples and peaches became the primary orchard crops. The Jordan orchard flanked both sides of this street and grew to almost 1500 fruit trees. Flagstaff and the mining town of Jerome provided markets for fruit, as did far away places. Oak Creek fruit was . . . — Map (db m54228) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Van Deren Ranch|
|Lee Van Deren, cattleman, arrived to put his children in the new Sedona school opened in 1910. Ranching was a major part of Sedona’s early economy. Round ups and cattle drives were a twice a year occurrence for ranchers when moving their herds from winter to summer grazing allotments.
About 1924, Lee’s son, Earl, bought 40 acres along the west side of this road and with hard work soon paid off the property and became a successful rancher.
Earl occasionally added to his income by . . . — Map (db m54229) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Beale Wagon Road — Seligman, Arizona|
|From 1857 to 1860 Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men built the first federal highway in the southwest. The 1857 Beale Expedition used 22 camels and dromedaries for pack animals. This road went from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angeles, California at a cost of $210,000. The Beale Wagon Road was used by military troops and emigrants en route to California. Herds of cattle and sheep were driven over the route until 1883.
Information compiled by Jack Beale Smith — Map (db m32206) HM|
|Arizona (Yavapai County), Yarnell — Peeples Valley Pioneer Cemetery|
| Column 1
Johnson 1865 • John Fry 1877 • Wycoff • Anna M. Smith 1880 • Baby Hamilton 1883 • Joseph Hodge 1885 • Thomas Hodge 1892 • Aggie Hodge 1892
Maggie Hodge 1892 • Lillie Hodge 1892 • Jerry Holbrook 1892 • John Ragsdale 1892 • Mrs. P. M. Henley 1910 • Lee Hodge 1918 • Henry Coe • Coleman
Unknown originally described as:
One Man, Two Mexicans, Four Indians
This site was designated a State Monument in 1956 and dedicated by the Honorable Earnest W. . . . — Map (db m29469) HM|