|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — A Looming Mystery|
This large loom is 150-200 years old and presents a mystery: why was such valuable equipment abandoned in pieces at a stagecoach station?
We know that while some weavers kept shops, others traveled from farmstead to farmstead, setting up their looms to weave cloth from the thread each family had spun and dyed. Because it was not considered proper for females to travel alone, most traveling weavers were men. After finishing his work, a weaver received payment in bartered goods, . . . — Map (db m50856) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — A Valuable Resource that Grows In Trees|
Wood was the most readily accessible material to an 1800s South Carolina farmer. Many items now made from metal were originally made of wood - even locks and keys - because metal was expensive and wood was free. Due to its wide availability and relative softness, pine was used most often in crafting farm furniture and tools. Hardwoods, such as hickory, walnut and mahogany, were more likely to be found in wealthier homes.
Many modern Americans can make simple household repairs, but the . . . — Map (db m50889) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Americans in Redcoats|
|These things are ominous - these are the damned yelling boys! Abraham DePeyster, New York loyalist officer British war drums bellowed the alarm as 120 battle-hardened veterans in red took their places in line here they were the first to face the Whig woodsmen moving up through the trees below. Mounting bayonets as they had in countless drills before, they charged the riflemen.
British hopes to end the 6-year-long rebellion rested on Americans such as these. Leaders in London thought . . . — Map (db m17552) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Americans Vanquished|
|In these woods, dazed Tories hurriedly buried their fallen comrades, using only logs and rocks. Dr.Uzal Johnson of the New Jersey provincials spent the night with the several hundred men with wounds, tending friend and foe alike. At dawn, a long line of prisoners stumbled away under guard. In a few weeks, some would be paroled. Many would escape and return to the King's ranks. A few, judged notorious plunderers, would be hanged. And none would see themselves or the King's cause as they had . . . — Map (db m17660) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Americans Victors|
|Imagine hundreds of men, dressed more or less alike, heart still pounding from the fever of battle, milling around this hillside as the sun sets. Whigs and Tories both sleep on wet, cold ground, amid the groans of wounded and dying men.
The rebel colonels decide to leave here the next morning, for they know that Cornwallis is not that far away. Messengers ride out to carry word of victory to George Washington. Three weeks later, the good news finally reaches Philadelphia.
By then, all . . . — Map (db m17657) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Artisan With Fire|
| While every farmer needed basic blacksmithing skills to make or mend small simple objects like horseshoes and nails, only the village smithy had the expertise to craft substantial articles such as kitchen and farm tools, blades and hinges. Additionally, a blacksmith shop's location in the center of town made it an important place for social interaction.
To create workable iron, ore had to be mined crushed, then "smelted", or melted, to extract usable metal. Since these were . . . — Map (db m50863) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Be Your Own Officer|
When we encounter the enemy, don't wait for a word of command. Let each of you be your own officer, and do the very best you can....If in the woods, shelter yourselves and give them Indian play; advance from tree to tree...and killing and disabling all you can....
Isaac Shelby, Tennessee patriot leader
One by one, rough woodsmen from beyond the Blue Ridge plunged through the forest and up the slope you see before you as the shooting started. Life on the frontier and long . . . — Map (db m17526) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — British Route of March|
|→ October 6, 1780 British Route of March — Map (db m34729) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Carolina Backwoodsmen|
|This distinguished race of men are more savage than the Indians,and possess every one of their vices, but not one of their virtues. I have known...these fellows(to) travel 200 miles through the woods never keeping any road or path, guided by the sun by day, and the stars by night, to kill a particular person of the opposite party. George Hanger, British Officer formerly attached to Ferguson's Provincial corps Many British leaders, like Major Hanger, had little hesitation in voicing low . . . — Map (db m17671) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Caught in a Crossfire|
|Hard pressed on every side, Ferguson's men fell back to their camp, which lay in the saddle of the ridge you see just ahead. As some Tories tried to surrender, bullets continued to pour into their ranks from all directions. Too late, they saw they were pinned down in a deadly crossfire. Patriots rounding up Tory prisoners remembered how British Colonel Tarleton had ordered rebel prisoners taken at nearby Waxhaws to be killed in cold blood. Even as the heat of battle cooled atop Kings Mountain, . . . — Map (db m17568) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Charging Cold Steel - Three Times|
|Everyone knew Colonel Sevier's rugged frontiersmen for their long-rifle marksmanship-and their touchy eagerness for a brawl. But no experienced military man of that day expected men armed only with hunting weapons to be able to face and defeat real soldiers, trained to use the bayonet. It had never happened-until Kings Mountain. Three times longhunters from eastern Tennessee charged up this mountainside. Once, then twice they were chased back down by Torie wielding 17-inch-long bayonets. . . . — Map (db m17530) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Col. Asbury Coward — Soldier - Patriot - Educator|
|To honor Col. Asbury Coward President, Kings Mountain Centennial Association, 1880. Acknowledged, inspirational force in perpetuating the glory and importance of the Battle of Kings Mountain Erected by Kings Mountain Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution North South Carolina — Map (db m17563) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Col. Ferguson Fell|
|Here Col. Ferguson Fell Oct. 7, 1780 — Map (db m37322) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Col. Frederick Hambright|
Marks the spot where
Col. Frederick Hambright
was wounded — Map (db m17516) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Colonel Patrick Ferguson Memorial|
| . . . — Map (db m17655) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Dickey / Sherer Home|
|Built circa 1770 by John Dickey of Ireland, via Albemarle County, Virginia. Original site located on Quinn's Road, Tryon, North Carolina. Now called Wilson Chapel Road, Bullock Creek Township, York County, South Carolina.
Home of Richard Sherer 1844-1888, and deeded to son Hugh Hicklin Sherer and wife Nancy Matilda Whitesides in 1886. Members of this family continued to live within until circa 1918.
This old home is conveyed to the People of South Carolina through the generosity of . . . — Map (db m50846) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Drive the Enemy|
|The ridge ahead was craggy and rough, and covered with flame and smoke. Campbell's Virginia regiment had drawn a tough and bloody assignment; to lead the first strike against the Tories. They were the first to close with the enemy, the first to hear the thunder of the drums, and the first to face the terror of the bayonets coming downhill. Some patriots stood their ground and were run through. Most broke and ran. The loyalists stopped their charge at the foot of this hill. William Campbell . . . — Map (db m17550) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Fighting in a Forest Primeval|
Kings Mountain...would have enabled us to oppose a superior force with advantage had it not been covered with wood which sheltered the Americans and enabled them to fight in their favorite manner.
Alexander Chesney, South Carolina loyalist
The woods you see around you today may look ancient, but they are only a shadow of the mature forest that stood here in October 1780. Hardwood trees like oaks, hickories, and chestnuts covered the slopes of Kings Mountain, their great . . . — Map (db m17481) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — God Save the King!|
A battalion of loyal Americans stood battle-ready on the spine of Kings Mountain above you. Lord Cornwallis' powerful army had ground its way north from Charleston with an unbroken string of British victories. Throughout the summer of 1780, His Majesty's Inspector of Militia, Major Patrick Ferguson, had successfully convinced thousands of Carolina men to take up arms to defend the government under which they had been born and raised. Now Ferguson and 1,000 loyalists - one third of the King's . . . — Map (db m17460) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Home Sweet Homeplace|
The heart and headquarters of a working farm was the homeplace. Here, the family lived and children were schooled. Particularly when weather forced people inside, the homeplace bustled with activity.
Following a traditional design that's traceable back to the Scottish Highlands, John Robert Patrick built this cabin for his family of seven in the 1850s. It was inhabited until about 1970. In 1976, the house was relocated here from the Sharon/McConnell area, some twenty miles away. — Map (db m50855) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — King's Mountain|
|To commemorate the victory of King's Mountain October 7, 1780 Erected by the government of the United States To the establishment of which the heroism and patriotism of those who participated in this battle so largely contributed — Map (db m17457) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Kings Mountain Battlefild Trail|
|If you follow the trail to your left, you will circle the base of Kings Mountain, as gathering patriot forces did on the afternoon of October 7, 1780. The path climbs to a rock-strewn ridge line which was defended by more than 1,000 American loyalists, under the command of one British officer, Major Patrick Ferguson. The fighting tree-to-tree was sharp and short-lasting only one hour, about the time you may spend walking. At the end, both Ferguson and British hopes for a quick victory in the . . . — Map (db m17678) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Kings Mountain Battleground|
|Kings Mountain Battleground
South Carolina — Map (db m17677) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Liberty!|
|Gunshots and the shouts of hundreds of men battered the slope you see just ahead as one of the fiercest battles of the American Revolution broke out. Every man here that day knew that the Carolina backcountry had burned and bled since May when the British landed on the coast. Unrelenting civil war had scourged the South with partisan plundering, bushwhacking, and brutal massacres-neighbor against rancorous neighbor, and fathers against sons. For the first time since Lexington and Concord, . . . — Map (db m17672) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Lieutenant Colonel James Hawthorn|
|In Honor of
Lieutenant Colonel James Hawthorn
Colonel William Hill's Regiment
York County Troops
In the Battle of Kings Mountain
7 October 1780
Colonel Hill having been disabled
By wounds Received
In a former Engagement — Map (db m17651) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Local Boys & Spies|
The patriots who formed battle lines at the foot of this hillside were local boys who knew Kings Mountain well. Some had used the large clearing atop the ridge as a deerhunters' camp. Local men from the South Fork settlements had helped the Whig colonels scout out where the King's men had taken their stand. as 25-year-old Major William Chronicle ordered his militia to "Face the hill!," many a men knew he would have to face close Relatives or neighbors among the Tories they wold soon . . . — Map (db m17519) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Loyal Carolina Men|
|So soon as Charleston fell, there was a proclamation for all to come forward...peace and pardon should be granted....Vast numbers flocked in and submitted; some through fear, some through willingness, and others, perhaps, through a hope that all things would settle down and war cease.
John Roberts, south Carolina patriot
Finding enemies on all sides, Major Ferguson called for a defensive ring facing outward along this quarter-mile-long ridge. Ninety percent of the Tories who fought . . . — Map (db m17565) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Major Ferguson Falls|
|The chaos of battle roared along this ridge top. Piercing the din of gunfire and wounded men's groans, Ferguson's silver whistle shrilled, rallying his Tories. Two horses were shot out from under him; Ferguson seemed to be everywhere at once.
While he was charging and slashing at the advancing Whigs, eight or nine rifle balls struck the major at the same time. His unusual "checkered duster" had made him an easy target. Ferguson fell from the saddle, his boot caught in the stirrup. Fierce . . . — Map (db m17654) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Major William Chronicle — Oct. 7, 1780|
Major William Chronicle
Oct. 7, 1780 — Map (db m17514) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Major Winston's — "Foxhunters"|
|Major Joseph Winston's command mistakenly charged a hillside that was barren of Tories. Later, arriving here, they eagerly peered through the autumn leaves to see if they were mistaken again. They were not, and so entered the triumphant fight. — Map (db m17513) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — President Hoover|
|On this Site
Addressed an audience of 75,000
at the Celebration of the
of the Battle of Kings Mountain
Oct. 7, 1930 — Map (db m17533) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Presidential Recognition — 150th Anniversary of the battle|
|This is a place of inspiring memories.
Here less than a thousand men, inspired by the urge of freedom, defeated a superior force....This small band of patriots turned back a dangerous invasion well-designed to separate and dismember the united colonies. It was a small army and a little battle, but it was mighty portent. History has done scant justice to its significance, which rightly should place it beside Lexington and Bunker Hill, Trenton and Yorktown, as one of the crucial . . . — Map (db m17535) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Sacred to the Memory Monument|
|Sacred to the Memory of
Major Willian Chronicle, Captain John Mattocks
William Rabb and John Boyd
Who Were killed at this place on the 7th.
of October 1780. Fighting in Defense of America.
Colonel Ferguson an office of his Britannic
Majesty, was defeated and killed at
this place on the 7th of October 1780.
Note: This inscription is a copy of that on
the old monument erected by Dr. William MaClean in 1815.
This stone has been placed by the King's
Mountain . . . — Map (db m17518) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Shoot Tree to Tree|
Ben Hollingsworth and myself took right up the side of the mountain, and fought our way from tree to tree, up to the summit. I recollect I stood behind one tree and fired until the bark was nearly all knocked off, and my eyes pretty well filled with it. One fellow shaved me pretty close, for his bullet took a piece out of my gun stock. Before I was aware of it, I found myself apparently between my own regiment and the enemy, as I judged by seeing the paper the Whigs wore in their hats and . . . — Map (db m17523) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — That's So Sweet!|
With sugar too expensive and artificial sweeteners unknown, how could farmers satisfy their sweet tooth? By using sorghum! Unlike sugar cane, sorghum is drought resistant, making it an ideal crop for this region.
Rich in hard-to-find nutrients like iron, calcium and potassium, sorghum was actually proscribed by doctors as a health supplement. However, it required processing equipment that not every farmer could afford. Gathering to make sorghum molasses created a social event while finishing an important farm task. — Map (db m50869) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — The Battle of Kings Mountain Monument|
|In Memory of the patriotic American
who participated in the
this Monument is erected
by their grateful
Here the tide of battle turned in favor of the American Colonel.
Here on this day of October A.D. 1780 the British forces commanded by Cor Patrick Ferguson were met and totally defeated by Campbell Shelby, Williams, Cleveland, sevier, and their heroic followers from Virginia the Carolinas and Tennessee.
Fell on this battle . . . — Map (db m17561) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Tighten the Noose|
Fire as quick as you can, and stand your ground as long as you can. When you can do no better, get behind trees, or retreat; but I beg you not to run quite off. It we are repulsed, let us make a point of returning, and renewing the fight....
Benjamin Cleveland, North Carolina patriot leader
Colonel Cleveland's militia - Wilkes County, North Carolina
Colonel Winston's militia - Surrey County, North Carolina
The hard morning rain had stopped, leaving the fallen . . . — Map (db m17522) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Two Parks, One Mountain|
Kings Mountain National Military Park
The sacrifices and significance of what happened on this mountaintop echo loudly through two centuries of American history. Five times-in 1815, 1855, 1880, 1909, and 1930-great crowds of Americans from far and wide have gathered here to honor the fighters who turned the tide of the Revolution in the South.
The actual field where blood was spilled has long been preserved by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the National Park Service. . . . — Map (db m17675) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Welcome to Kings Mountain State Park|
| Welcome to the Past!
In the future, how might people look back at your life? How would a "typical" home of the early 20th century be depicted? What other buildings would be needed to give a further picture of your daily existence? Questions like these shape the Living History Farm, where you can glimpse the world of a typical upcountry farmer of the 1800s.
Historians believe a farm once existed here, but today's site is no a re-creation. Instead it's a collection of buildings . . . — Map (db m50847) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Brattonsville — 46-48 — Bethesda Presbyterian Church|
| (Side A) This church, which held services as early as 1760 about 1 mi. E, gave its name to a Scots-Irish community in this area before the Revolution. It was formally organized in 1769 by Rev. William Richardson. In 1771 John Fondren donated land here for a second frame church, built ca. 1780 after the church 1 mi. E burned. (Side B) Rev. Robert B. Walker (1766-1852), the first permanent minister, served here 1794-1834. Bethesda hosted many revivals during the Second Great . . . — Map (db m31568) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Bullock Creek — Bullock Creek Revolutionary War Monument|
|This marker commemorates the men who participated in the American Revolution, and are interred in the Bullock’s Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery. These men, believing in the noble cause of liberty, gallantly fought for their home and country. 1776 ~ 1781
Jacob Black; John Black; Joseph Brown; Allen Dowdle; Joseph Feemster; Samuel Feemster; Alexander Galloway; William Galloway; James Gill; James Jamieson; Joseph Jamieson; James Kirkpatrick; John Kirkpatrick; Robert Kirkpatrick; Aaron . . . — Map (db m55956) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Bullock Creek — 46-31 — Lacey's Fort|
Col. Edward Lacey (1742-1813), prominent officer in the American Revolution in the S.C. backcountry, occupied this hill west of Turkey Creek in the late summer of 1780. Lacey, who commanded S.C. militiamen in the battles of Rocky Mount, Cary's Fort, Hanging Rock, and Fishing Creek in July and August, built a 15-ft. log stockade near this site.
The fort here was sometimes called "Liberty Hill" by patriots but "Patriot's Folly" by . . . — Map (db m24536) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Clover — 46-18 — Town of Clover|
|In 1887 the town of Clover was granted a charter by the General Assembly, its city limits to extend "one-half mile in every direction from the railroad depot." Clover Post Office had been established in 1874 with Zimri Carroll as postmaster. Six years later the Chester and Lenoir Railroad had completed its line here. The town's first textile mill, organized by Captain W. Beatty Smith, was chartered in 1890. — Map (db m28238) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Filbert — York County Veterans Memorial|
|(Front) York County Veterans Memorial In memory of those who served and those who died in all wars We are one Erected 1986 — Map (db m52270) WM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Catawba Indian Memorial|
| [South Side]:
Erected to the
Sam'l Elliott White
John McKee Spratt
The latter is a descendant Thos. "Kanahwa" Spratt and the former a descendant of Wm. Elliott (a kinsman of Kanahwas) two of the first settlers in this portion of the Indian Land (1755-60).
Some of the Catawbas who served in the Confederate Army
Jeff Ayers - John Scott - Alex Timins - Bill Sanders - John Harris - Wm Canty - Billy . . . — Map (db m24825) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Confederate Park|
Established 1891 on property donated by Capt. Samuel E. White. The site was given citizens of Fort Mill to perpetuate the memory of those who sacrificed so much from 1861-1865. Assisting in making the historic spot a reality were John McKee Spratt and others. Monuments were erected from 1891 to 1900. Funds defraying costs were by public subscription, with no government money involved. The bandstand was built in 1900. — Map (db m24820) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-21 — Fort Mill|
Fort Mill was established on land received in 1787 by Thomas Spratt, one of the first settlers in this area. According to local tradition, the 4,535-acre tract in Catawba Indian territory was given Spratt by the Catawbas who were grateful for his assistance in routing the Shawnees from their lands.
Fort Mill is said to have taken its name from Webb's Grist Mill and a Catawba Indian fort near here. The post office was established in 1811 and named Fort . . . — Map (db m24819) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Fort Mill Confederate Memorial|
Dum Spiro Spero
Spes Animis Opibuscue Parati
List of names
The warrior's banner takes its flight
to greet the warrior's soul.
List of names — Map (db m24827) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-4 — Jefferson Davis's Flight South, April 26-27, 1865 — Last Confederate Cabinet Meeting, April 27, 1865|
Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet, making their way south from Richmond, Va. with a cavalry escort, stopped at Fort Mill on April 26, 1865. Davis spent the night at Springfield, the home of Col. Andrew Baxter Springs, about 3.5 mi. N; others stayed here at the home of Col. William Elliott White.
On the morning of April 27, 1865, Davis's Cabinet met here on the lawn to discuss the resignation of Secretary of the Treasury George A. . . . — Map (db m24828) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Nation Ford|
Original trestle completed 1852
by Charlotte & South Carolina R.R.
on site of ancient crossing
known as the Nation Ford.
Burning by Federals April 19, 1865,
touched off sharp battle with Southern forces
which resulted in Union retreat.
trestle rebuilt after war.
Washed away by flood on July 17, 1916;
rebuilt in present form.
traditional site of the Battle of Liberty Hill,
between Catawba and Cherokee Indians.
Sumter camped here July, 1780.
Cornwallis here . . . — Map (db m11050) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-45 — Springfield Plantation|
This house was built ca. 1806 for planter John Springs III (1782-1853), who served in the S.C. House 1828-34 and was a partner in several banks, railroads, and textile mills before the Civil War. His son Andrew Baxter Springs (1819-1886) enlarged and remodeled this house in the 1850s. He served in the S.C. House 1852-56 and was also a delegate to the Secession Convention.
On April 26, 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet, . . . — Map (db m47679) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — To the Faithful Slaves|
the faithful slaves
who, loyal to a sacred trust,
toiled for the support
of the army with matchless
devotion and sterling
fidelity [and] guarded our defenseless
homes, women and children during
the struggle for the principles
of our "Confederate States of
Erected by Sam'l E. White
in grateful memory of earlier
days. With approval of the
Memorial Association. . . . — Map (db m42188) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-49 — Unity Presbyterian Church|
This church, founded in 1788, predates the present town of Fort Mill and has occupied four sites in the vicinity. The first church, a log building, stood about 2 mi. NE in a community known as “Little York.” It burned in 1804. A log church was built 5 blocks N, where the first church cemetery was laid out. That church burned in 1838, and the congregation moved to a site just E of the current location.|
The second church cemetery, laid out . . . — Map (db m47680) HM
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Women of the Confederacy Memorial|
the Jefferson Davis
to the women of
The living and the dead,
who midst the gloom of war
were heroines in the strife,
to perpetuate their noble
sacrifices on the altar of
our common country. Let
sweet incense forever
rise, till it reach them,
in robes of victory
beyond the skies.
White - Johnston
Spratt - Epps
Springs - . . . — Map (db m24821) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Hickory Grove — 46-16 — Hickory Grove|
The land on which the town of Hickory Grove developed was granted to John McKenney in 1771 by George III of England. The Hickory Grove Post Office was in operation as early as 1831, and a free public school was located here by 1851. In 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line through Hickory Grove, connecting this area to coastal S.C.
At the time of its incorporation in 1888, Hickory Grove was one square mile in . . . — Map (db m24527) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Hickory Grove — 46-44 — Hickory Grove Schools|
Hickory Grove School, a two ~ story brick building constructed in 1916 on Peachtree St., was built for grades 1 ~ 11. In 1928 Hickory Grove High School, a one ~ story brick building, was constructed at the corner of Wylie Ave. and Wilkerson St. as a separate high school. The Works Progress Administration built a teacherage, bus shed, vocational building, and lunchroom in 1939.
(Reverse) The high school and elementary school closed in 1975 and 1998, respectively. . . . — Map (db m52110) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Hickory Grove — Unity Academy|
|Near this site in 1823 Reverend Aaron Williams established the Unity Academy. The first public school in what would later become the town of Hickory Grove. Williams conducted this school on a grade and high school level. Teaching Mathematics, Grammar, Geography, Languages and Sciences. Its earliest board of trustees consisted of Rev. Cyrus Johnston, Rev. Hugh Quinn, A. Thompson, Esq., Benjamin Morgan, John S. Moore and David Byers.
This maker was erected by the Broad River Basin Historical . . . — Map (db m58651) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Lake Wylie — Battle Bigger's Ferry 1780|
|Battle Bigger's Ferry 1780,
3 mi. east of this point on Catawba River between
Lord Rawdon's and Sumter's Forces. Whigs commanded by Cols. Hill and Lacey.
New Aquisition School attended by Pres. Andrew Jackson 1779 and the widow Howe's cottage where he boarded are 1 mi. east of this point. — Map (db m59031) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — A House of Untold Stories|
Every brick in this building is a testament to the enslaved African Americans who once lived on this plantation. The 1860 census lists Harriet Bratton owning eighty slaves and twenty slave houses. Of those houses this cabin is the lone survivor. Built around 1828 it was one of about four brick quarters clustered around the plantation house. Building with brick was expensive, so most slaves lived in simple wood cabins. These brick cabins may have served to demonstrate the Bratton's wealth and . . . — Map (db m24895) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — Backwoods Cabin|
The upper part of South Carolina was opened to settlement during the mid-1700s. Traveling down the Great Wagon Road from Virginia, Pennsylvania and North Carolina, settlers brought with them vast knowledge needed for life in the wilderness - how to fell trees and build a house, hunt and grow crops. Most were Scotch-Irish, but with English, German, French, Swiss, Irish, and Africans among them. Many early settlers received land by a grant from Great Britain in the name of King George II. In . . . — Map (db m24504) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — Bratton Home|
This structure, built by William Bratton about 1770, is one of the oldest in York County. The original log house was a two-story home. The timber frame wing at the back of the house was added later. The home was built on the Lincoln Road, sometimes listed as the Armstrong Ford Road. The wide ditch running in front of the house is the remnant of that road which was a major highway during the 18th century.
Bratton was a leading military figure in the southern campaigns of the American . . . — Map (db m24506) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — Brattonsville|
Here in the 1760's settled the brothers, William, Robert, and Hugh Bratton, who fought in the Revolutionary War. One-quarter mile east of here at James Williamson's was fought the Battle of Williamson's Plantation on July 12, 1780. The outnumbered patriot militia led by Col. William Bratton and Capt. John McClure surprised and defeated a superior force of British troops commanded by Capt. Christian Houk, who was killed during the fighting. In the subsequent rout and pursuit, Col. Bratton's . . . — Map (db m24500) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — Brick Kitchen|
Built on the foundations of the original, this building is a replica of the plantation kitchen that stood here until the late 1950s. It was one of the eight brick dependencies once flanking the main house. The kitchen was constructed away from the house as was customary because they were prone to fires. If the kitchen caught on fire it would not endanger the house.
As in homes today, the 19th century kitchen was a hub of activities including cooking, conversing and cleaning. Unlike the . . . — Map (db m24893) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — Field of Huck's Defeat|
Where 75 Whigs led by
Colonel William Bratton
defeated a British and Tory
force of 500 men
July 12, 1780.
On this date, Sept.30, 1953, there stands 200 feet to the north of this stone, the Revolutionary home of Col. William Bratton and his wife, Martha. The land was a grant under George the Third.
To the memory of
Mrs. Martha Bratton
Col. William Bratton
Loyal in the face of death.
Brave in the . . . — Map (db m24508) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — 46-28 — Huck's Defeat|
On July 12, 1780, at Williamson's Plantation about one-fifth of a mile east from here, Loyalist forces under Capt. Christian Huck were defeated by American forces led by Cols. William Bratton, William Hill, Edward Lacey, Richard Winn, as well as Captain John Moffett. Six months after this battle, known as "Huck's Defeat," came the pivotal American victories at Kings Mtn. in Oct. 1780 and Cowpens in Jan. 1781. — Map (db m24538) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — 46-13 — McConnells|
After the Kings Mountain Railroad was completed in 1852, the McConnellsville Post Office was established here in 1854. The town, named for the McConnell family, was incorporated in 1906. The first intendant was J.T. Crawford; wardens were J.F. Ashe, S.H. Love, J.O. Moore, and J.M. Williams. The post office was renamed McConnells in 1951. — Map (db m24537) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — The Battle of Huck’s Defeat|
|The information on the historical marker to the left[sic] is not accurate,
The inscription on the back is an honorable tribute to Martha Bratton’s bravery prior to the battle. Watt’s tombstone, a reproduction, is in tribute to his significant patriotic activities during the American Revolution.
In May of 1780, Charleston, South Carolina fell to the British who quickly overran much of the state. The only part of South Carolina to mount any sizable resistance to the British and . . . — Map (db m24510) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), McConnells — The Homestead|
|The Homestead was built between 1823 and 1826 for Dr. John Simpson Bratton and his wife Harriet Rainey Bratton, the second generation of the Bratton family to live at Brattonsville. Bricks for the chimneys were made on the plantation. The two flanking wings of the house and the brick assembly hall attached to the rear of the house were added in 1840. The detached assembly hall was uncommon for the region. It was a sign of status where the family held dinners, dances, and music recitals. . . . — Map (db m24872) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-36 — Andrew Jackson Hotel / Vernon Grant|
|The Andrew Jackson Hotel
The Andrew Jackson Hotel, built in 1926, was funded with more than $250,000 raised by citizens of Rock Hill. Designed by Charles Coker Wilson, it is a fine example of the Beaux Arts style and has been called one of the city's "greatest triumphs." In 1938-39 many stars of early country and gospel music, such as the Monroe Boys, Delmore Bros., and S.C. native Arthur Smith, recorded hit songs for RCA in sessions here.
The building also included . . . — Map (db m16631) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — Birthplace of Daniel Harvey Hill — Hill's Iron Works|
Birthplace of Daniel Harvey Hill
Lieutenant General in the Confederate States Army
Soldier, Educator, Author
A worthy son of the land we love.
S.68.44 W. 737 feet from this point was the site of Hill's Iron Works.
The original corner stone was in a good state of preservation when submerged in 1925.
Erected by the Kings Mountain Chapter D.A.R. and the Winnie Davis Chapter U.D.C.
[West . . . — Map (db m28247) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-43 — Black Plantation / Hampton Campaign|
|Black PlantationThis area was once part of the 448.5-acre plantation of Alexander Templeton Black (1798-1875), for whom Church Street was renamed Black Street. In 1851 Black deeded land for a right-of-way and depot to the Charlotte & S.C. Railroad. He also created and sold 23 town lots along a new Main Street, fulfilling his dream to establish a town here. The post office that opened nearby "Rock Hill" after the hill the railroad tracks cut through.
The 1876 S.C. . . . — Map (db m16757) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-34 — Clinton Junior College|
Clinton Junior College, affiliated with the A.M.E. Zion Church, was founded in 1894 by Revs. Nero Crockett and W.M. Robinson as Clinton Institute. Named for Bishop Isom C. Clinton, it featured primary and secondary courses as well as a two-year college program. It became Clinton Junior College in 1965. Dr. Sallie V. Moreland (ca. 1898-2000) served 48 years as president of the college from 1946 to 1994. — Map (db m24870) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-7 — Columbia Seminary Chapel|
This building was designed by Robert Mills and erected in Columbia, S.C., as the stable and carriage house of the mansion of Ainsley Hall; Chapel of Columbia Theological Seminary (Presbyterian), 1830-1927; first home of Winthrop College, 1886-1887. Woodrow Wilson accepted and confessed Christ here in 1873. The chapel was moved to Rock Hill, 1936. Site is 350 yards S.W. — Map (db m16774) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — East Town Neighborhood|
When the White family began selling off their farm, new neighborhoods sprang up in the place of cotton fields. North Confederate Avenue (originally called Pine Street, later called Academy) was first opened in the early 1890s. In 1904 the White family sold the area around present day Reid Street, and houses were being built later that year. This area at the time was called "Whiteville." As one of Rock Hill's earliest neighborhoods, the East Town neighborhood continued to move further to the . . . — Map (db m24843) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-15 — Ebenezer|
The town of Ebenezer was incorporated in 1893. Dr. W.B. Fewell was the first intendant, and the first wardens were J.W. Avery, A.A. Barron, S.A. Fewell, and J.B. Neely. The post office here from 1890-1911 was called Old Point. Earlier post offices were Ebenezer Academy (1822-1837) and Ebenezerville (1837-1866). The town was annexed to Rock Hill in 1961. — Map (db m24817) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — Ebenezer Confederate Memorial|
Remembering how they resisted oppression and injustice, defended truth and the right, fought for their native land, enduring hardship and sacrifice. We assume the sacred trust of perpetuating their memory with love and devotion.
To our Confederate soldiers.
Erected by the S.D. Barron Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy of Ebenezer.
1908 — Map (db m28251) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-27 — Emmett Scott School|
This school, founded in 1920, was the first public school for blacks in Rock Hill. Named for Emmett J. Scott (1873-1957), a prominent educator who was then secretary of Howard University, Emmett Scott School included all twelve grades until 1956 and was a junior high and high school from 1956 until South Carolina schools were desegregated in 1970. The original two-story frame school, built in 1920, was demolished in 1952.
This property is owned by . . . — Map (db m24869) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-29 — Episcopal Church of Our Saviour|
The first services were in private homes and at Rock Hill Academy 1857-1861. The church was organized Easter 1870 with the Rev. Roberts P. Johnson as its first rector. Founders included the families of Col. Cadwallader Jones, Halcott Pride Green, Maj. John R. London, Col. J.M. Ivy, and Samuel G. Keesler. This structure, completed in 1872 with alterations since, is the oldest church building in the city.
The first parish house, built in 1922, . . . — Map (db m26373) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-26 — First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers|
|First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
This church was organized in 1895 with 26 charter members. The sanctuary, completed in 1898 and enlarged in 1911, was designed by Charlotte architect C.C. Hook and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Four pastors have served the church: Dr. A.S. Rogers (1895-1948); Rev. W.P. Grier (1948-1963); Rev. H.L. Smith (1963-1966), and Dr. R.J. Robinson (since 1967).
Dr. Arthur Small Rogers
Dr. Arthur Small Rogers . . . — Map (db m16760) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — First Home of Winthrop College — The South Carolina College for Women|
This Chapel of the Columbia Theological
Seminary, at Columbia, South Carolina,
was occupied by the Winthrop Training
School as a classroom for one year.
The Winthrop Training School was organ-
ized in 1886 by D.B. Johnson, superintend-
ent of the city schools of Columbia.
The Trustees of the Columbia City
Schools in 1886, who were also Trustees
of The Winthrop Training School, were
F.W. McMaster, chairman - John P. Thomas, Jr.
R.L. Bryan . . . — Map (db m28087) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-8 — First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders|
|First Presbyterian Church
This church was begun in 1854 as Antioch Chapel of
Ebenezer Church under the leadership of Rev. John
G. Richards, on land of the Steeles and Workmans,
3 mi. south of Rock Hill. Mission moved in 1858 to
this site, obtained from A.T. Black and later paid
for by Mrs. Ann Hutchison White and J. Spratt White.
The Church was organized on Nov. 13, 1869, with 46
charter members led by Rev. R.E. Cooper, pastor.
First ruling elders: J.F. . . . — Map (db m11052) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-47 — James Milton Cherry House|
The home of James Milton Cherry (1856-1920) stood here until 1974. Cherry was a businessman, public servant, agriculturalist, and real estate developer in Rock Hill for 50 years. He helped found the Young Men’s Loan & Trust Co., one of the first banks here and later the Savings Bank of Rock Hill. Cherry was also a founder of the Rock Hill Light & Power Co., the Land & Town Site Co., and the Rock Hill Telephone Co.
Cherry was intendant, or mayor, of . . . — Map (db m24833) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-5 — Jefferson Davis' Flight|
|Having crossed the Catawba at Nation Ford, April 27, 1865, the President of the Confederacy fled south along this road following the fall of Richmond. He was accompanied by the remaining members of his cabinet and a detachment of cavalry under Gen. John C. Breckinridge. — Map (db m28253) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-19 — McCorkle-Fewell-Long House / Oakland|
This two-story frame house with central hall was a typical piedmont farmhouse when built, probably by Stephen McCorkle prior to 1821. Samuel M. Fewell significantly altered the house during his ownership 1867-1890. In 1906 the house was purchased and renovated by Alexander Long. In 1893 some of the land here was given to the state for the development of Winthrop College.
Rock Hill Land and Town Site Company, incorporated in 1890, bought and . . . — Map (db m24829) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-37 — McCrory's Civil Rights Sit-ins / "Friendship Nine"|
|McCrory's Civil Rights Sit-ins
This building, built in 1901, was occupied by McCrory's Five & Dime from 1937 to 1997. On February 12, 1960, black students from Friendship Jr. College in Rock Hill were denied service at the McCrory's lunch counter but refused to leave. Their "sit-in" was one of the first of many calling attention to segregated public places in downtown Rock Hill. These protests lasted for more than a year.
Many Rock Hill protesters were . . . — Map (db m16719) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — President's House — Winthrop University|
Each of Winthrop's president's has lived in the President's House. Built by Captain W.H. Stewart, the home became the President's residence in the late 1890's. The home was first fashioned in the Queen Anne Victorian style, with rounded turrets and clapboard siding. It was transformed during major renovation in 1917, when the house was moved back from the street, brick veneer was added, and it took on its current Dutch Colonial Revival style. The President's House and garden serves as both a . . . — Map (db m24834) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — Rock Hill|
This marker commemorates the genesis of the city of Rock Hill; and stands near the site of the Charlotte and South Carolina railroad company depot erected about 1851. The village which grew up around the depot was granted recognition as Rock Hill, S.C. by the U.S. Post Office Department on April 17 1852. The first postmaster was Henry F. Broach.
The frame depot was built about 65ft. SSW on ground obtained from Alexander Templeton Black and Mrs. Ann Hutchison White. The roadbed of the . . . — Map (db m16918) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-23 — Rock Hill Buggy Company / Anderson Motor Company|
|Rock Hill Buggy Company
In 1886 A.D. Holler, who had long owned a wagon and buggy shop in Rock Hill, founded Holler and Anderson Buggy Company with his son-in-law John Gary Anderson (1861-1937). Anderson built a factory here in 1892, with separate blacksmith, woodwork, trim, and paint shops. Renamed Rock Hill Buggy Company, it was known for quality materials and craftsmanship. By 1900 it was an industry leader and sold 6,000 buggies a year.
Anderson Motor Company
The firm became . . . — Map (db m24831) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-38 — Rock Hill Cotton Factory|
This textile mill, built in 1881, was the first in Rock Hill and the first in S.C. to use steam power. A.E. Hutchison, J.M. Ivy, W.L. Roddey, and A.H. White founded the Rock Hill Cotton Factory to boost the city's status as a cotton market and to spur further industrial and economic growth. This two-story mill was designed and built by A.D. Holler and modeled after the Camperdown Mill in Greenville.
This was the first of seven textile mills built . . . — Map (db m16725) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-46 — Rock Hill Depots / Rock Hill Street Railway|
|Rock Hill Depots
The first of six railroad depots nearby was built in 1851 on the Charlotte & S.C. RR, after the citizens of Ebenezer objected to a new railroad yard proposed there. The town that grew up here was named Rock Hill after the flint hill found when the railroad bed was excavated. The six depots built here between 1851 and 1912 served passengers and freight for a combined 122 years. The two-story brick depot built here in 1912 was local landmark until it was torn down in 1973. . . . — Map (db m16724) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-41 — Rock Hill High School|
Rock Hill High School has its origins in the Rock Hill Graded School, opened in 1888 for grades 1-9. The name Rock Hill High was first used in 1907-08 for a boys' school housed in the former Presbyterian High School. A property dispute closed the school after a year; its students returned to Rock Hill Graded School. In 1914 a new coeducational Rock Hill High School was built here with students in grades 8-10.
Grade 11 was added in 1917 and grade 12 . . . — Map (db m16759) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-9 — Sims Home Site|
Near this spot stood the Rock Hill residence of Robert Moorman Sims, Captain, C.S.A., who on April 9, 1865, carried the flag of truce which led to the surrender of Lee's forces at Appomattox, He later was S.C. Senator for Lancaster County, 1868-70, and S.C. Secretary of State, 1876-80. He began the beautification of the S.C. State House grounds. He was born in Fairfield County in 1836 and died at Columbia in 1898. — Map (db m16721) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-22 — Site of White's Mill|
| About 1 ½ miles south of here on Fishing Creek were a house and mill mentioned on a 1766 royal land grant to Hugh White. British Colonel Banastre Tarleton and his Legion were encamped at White's Mill for several days in September 1780, during which time Tarleton lay "dangerously ill of a fever." — Map (db m24871) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-39 — St. Anne's Parochial School|
St. Anne’s Church, the first Catholic church in York County, was founded in 1919 by the Rev. William A. Tobin of Columbia. The first building, erected on Saluda Street in 1920, closed in 1961. St. Anne’s opened its first parochial school in the church rectory in 1951, with 17 pupils in the kindergarten and first grade. A second grade was added in 1952. A new St. Anne’s School opened here in 1956.
In 1954 St. Anne’s became the first school in S.C. to . . . — Map (db m24868) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-40 — Standard Cotton Mill / Highland Park Manufacturing Co.|
|Standard Cotton Mill
The Standard Cotton Mill, built in 1888-89, was the second textile mill in Rock Hill. It was promoted by John R. London and financed entirely by local citizens, including schoolchildren, who bought stock for 50˘ a week. Built by contractor A.D. Holler with 200 looms, it expanded to almost 500 looms by 1893, producing gingham cloth, shirting, and towels. The mill was a major factor in the growth and development of Rock Hill for the next 30 years.
Highland Park . . . — Map (db m24867) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — The "3C's" Railroad|
The rail line which passes just north of this site was the second railroad to serve Rock Hill. Part of the Charleston, Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad (known locally as the 3C's), the first train on this line arrived here in 1888. The 3C's opened access to new markets and made possible the development of Rock Hill's second textile mill, Highland Park, located 0.7 miles east. Rock Hill owes its creation to an earlier line, the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad which was completed in Rock . . . — Map (db m24840) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-35 — The CCC in York County / Tom Johnston Camp, (SCS#10), CCC|
|The CCC in York County
One of the most successful of Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), created in 1933. It gave many young men and World War veterans jobs planting trees, fighting forest fires and soil erosion, and building state and national parks. Almost 50,000 men served in S.C. between 1933 and 1942. York County included three CCC camps: Kings Mountain, York, and here at Ebenezer.
Tom Johnston Camp, (SCS#10), CCC
Young men, . . . — Map (db m24818) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — The White Home|
Located across East White Street, the White Home sheltered five generations of a pioneer Rock Hill family. George Pendleton White and Ann Hutchinson White made their home here after their marriage in 1838. Most likely, a small house was built on the site and enlarged in stages to become the imposing residence we see today.
Acquired by Historic Rock Hill in 2005, the White Home has been restored to reflect the period of economic prosperity of Rock Hill during the last quarter of the 19th . . . — Map (db m24842) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — Town of Ebenezer|
|This former farming community grew up around Ebenezer Presbyterian Church which had been organized by 1785. Here was located the famed Ebenezer Academy often called "The Athens of York." The first post office was established as Ebenezer Academy in 1822. The name was changed to Ebenezerville in 1837. It was discontinued in 1866. Post office here 1890-1911 was called Old Point. The town was incorporated as Ebenezer in December, 1893. — Map (db m28249) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-42 — U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building|
|U.S. Post Office and Courthouse
This building was described as "handsome in every respect" when it opened in 1932. It replaced a 1906 post office and housed a new district court and federal offices. It served as a post office until 1986 and provided offices and headquarters for several U.S. Congressmen, including Thomas S. Gettys 1965-75. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, it was renamed in honor of Gettys in 1997.
This six-story . . . — Map (db m16626) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — Upper Land's Ford Road|
|There was a limited system of roads in eastern York County prior to the creation of Rock Hill in 1851. One of the main routes was the Upper Land's Ford Road, which passed this site on generally the route of present-day East White Street and Charlotte Avenue. It connected Land's Ford, a major crossing point of the Catawba River, with Ebenezerville and Yorkville to the west. By 1840 a number of significant homes faced Upper Land's Ford Road in present-day Rock Hill. These homes were originally . . . — Map (db m24839) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-14 — Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill|
|Village of Rock Hill
Main Street was laid out on Alexander Templeton Black's land by Squire John Roddey in 1851. The post office was established in 1852. The village was incorporated by the General Assembly in 1870 with an area of one mile square; its center was Gordon's Hotel, which stood just west of here. John R. Allen was first intendant and wardens were J.M. Ivy, Dr. Thos. L. Johnston, John Ratterree, and M.W. Russell.
City of Rock Hill
Rock Hill was incorporated as a city . . . — Map (db m16624) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — Water Trough|
|The water trough which has been placed here is the only known surviving example of troughs once located at several entrances to the Old Town area of Rock Hill. They provided a convenient place for farmers and travelers to water their horses, mules and other livestock as they entered or left Old Town. Rock Hill developed as a major cotton trading center, and farmers brought wagons loaded with cotton and other crops into town. The troughs were welcome stopping points. — Map (db m24841) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-10 — White Home|
About 1839, this former plantation house was built by George Pendleton White (1801-1849) and his wife, Ann Hutchison White (1805-1880). It has since sheltered five generations of a pioneer Rock Hill family. During the War of 1861-1865 needy Confederate soldiers were cared for here. The house contains a Prophet's Chamber, reserved for the exclusive use of visiting ministers. The east wing was erected about 1878.
Two renowned sons of this house were . . . — Map (db m24838) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-24 — William Hill (1741-1816) / Hill's Ironworks|
William Hill, who served in the American Revolution and was present at many battles, built an ironworks near here on Allison Creek about 1776. Hill and his partner, Isaac Hayne, manufactured swivel guns, kitchen utensils, cannon, ammunition, and various farm tools. His ironworks was burned by British Capt. Christian Huck in June 1780.
Rebuilt 1787-1788 near here on Allison Creek, Hill's Ironworks consisted of two furnaces, four gristmills, two . . . — Map (db m28244) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Sharon — Blairsville Schools|
1818 ~ 1819
The Earliest known school in the Blairsville Area was one headed by R.Y. Russell. Conducted in a converted corn crib on the farm of James Hogg, about one mile from this site. 1830 ~ 1867 About 1830 Rev. Aaron Williams, Pastor of the Bullock’s Creek Orthodox Presbyterian Church, established an academy near this site. The school, later known as the Blairsville Academy was headed by Rev. R.Y. Russell, Pastor of the Independent Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m52108) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-2 — Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church|
Under leadership of Dr. Joseph Alexander, pastor 1774-1801, this church, organized in 1769, was a Whig stronghold during the Revolution.
Three hundred yards west is the site of one of the earliest academies in upper South Carolina, established in 1787 by Dr. Alexander.
One and one half miles southwest is the site of Dr. Alexander's home, used as a hospital during the American Revolution. — Map (db m24535) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-33 — Dickey - Sherer House|
A two-story log house built ca. 1771 for John Dickey (1703-1789) stood about 100 yds. NE until 1988, when it was moved to Kings Mountain State Park. Dickey, a native of Ireland, emigrated to Virginia with his wife Martha McNeely Dickey in 1737. They moved to this area after 1770, when Dickey received a grant of about 175 acres. He was an elder at nearby Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church.
In 1844 Richard Sherer (1796-1888) bought the house and 76 . . . — Map (db m24533) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-32 — First National Bank of Sharon|
This bank, built in 1909-10 by W.W. Blair, was the first bank in the town of Sharon, incorporated in 1889. Its first officers were J.H. Saye, president; J.L. Rainey, vice president; and A.M. Haddon, cashier. From 1910 to 1929 the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced national bank notes for this bank. It was the only bank in western York County to survive the Depression.
At the time of its merger with First Citizens Bank in 1986 the First . . . — Map (db m24529) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-12 — Town of Sharon / Sharon|
|Town of Sharon
John L. Rainey, owner of large tracts of land on which Sharon was established, conveyed land to the Presbyterian church in 1889 and 1898, the Methodists in 1897, and the Methodist Episcopal Zion church in 1904. The First National Bank, established here in 1909, was the only bank in western York County to survive the depression. The Hill Banking and Mercantile Company was founded prior to 1915.
The town of Sharon grew up around and took its name from Sharon . . . — Map (db m24531) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Sharon — Town of Sharon Stone Marker|
|According to tradition, after the Battle of Kings Mountain, troops led by Colonel Edward Lacey retired to the high hills of Bullock's Creek. In 1876 York historian Rev. Robert Lathan fixed that location to be north of Scott's Mill, about five miles west of Yorkville. It is believed the town of Sharon, in 1889 was established on the camp site of the patriots. Tradition also relates that several Loyalist or Tories taken captive at King's Mountain and later buried near the camp in front of the present Hill Mercantile & Banking building. — Map (db m24532) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Smyrna — 46-25 — Town of Smyrna|
This town was named for Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, organized ca. 1842. An academy was established here by 1870, and in 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line here. Four years later the post office was established. The town was incorporated in 1895, its limits extending one-half mile in every direction from the railroad depot. — Map (db m24525) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-51 — Barnett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1945 / Bennett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1938|
|Front This site was the winter quarters of the Barnett Brothers Circus, briefly known as the Wallace Brothers Circus, from 1929 through 1945. Founded by Ray W. Rogers (1889 ~ 1946), the circus was one of the first to travel by truck instead of by train. That freedom helped it succeed during the Depression and World War II. It began its tour each March or April with a performance in York, then returned in November. Reverse A highlight of the York Christmas parade was Santa Claus . . . — Map (db m55487) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-11 — Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight|
|Bratton House Site
Robert Clendinen, Yorkville lawyer and South Carolina Senator from York Disrict (1816-30), purchased this land in 1813. The house which he built here before his death in 1830, was acquired in 1847 by Dr. James Rufus Bratton, a surgeon in the Confederate Army. It was razed in 1956.
Jefferson Davis's Flight
Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, spent the night of April 27, 1865 in the home of Dr. James Rufus Bratton, which was located on this site. . . . — Map (db m11244) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — Colonel Samuel Watson|
|Colonel Samuel Watson 1731-1810. Wife-Elizabeth McDowell 1738-1817. Near this spot was the home and commissary of Col. Watson, 1st. Liuet. of Rangers, Captain and Delegate to S.C. Prov. Congress 1776. Colonel of Militia New Aquisition. Elder in Bethel Church. In consideration of his uprightousness he was made commissary by his Whig neighbors and his house was despository for supplies. — Map (db m59033) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-30 — David E. Finley Birthplace|
David Edward Finley, Jr. (1890-1977), first director of the National Gallery of Art, was born in this house. Finley moved to Washington, D.C. as a child when his father was elected to Congress and was educated at the University of S.C. and George Washington University Law School. He practiced law, served in World War I, then worked for Secretary of the Treasury Andrew W. Mellon.
Finley and Andrew W. Mellon worked for years to establish a national art . . . — Map (db m11156) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — First Presbyterian Church — York Historic District|
Department of Archives
York Historic District
First Presbyterian Church
of Historic Places — Map (db m55036) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — Historic York|
Through this intersection originally called Fergus Crossroads have passed
General Thomas Sumter - The Gamecock
General Daniel Morgan - Hero of Cowpens
Lord Cornwallis - British Comdr at Yorktown
Col. Banastre Tarleton - British Comdr at Cowpens
William Gilmore Simms - S.C. Author & Historian
General Micah Jenkins- C.S.A.
President Jefferson Davis and
the Confederate Cabinet in 1865
General & Governor Wade Hampton
This corner has probably witnesed the passing of more . . . — Map (db m11290) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-1 — King's Mountain Battleground|
|Twelve miles northwest the battle of King's Mountain was fought October 7, 1780. The 900 Whigs were under Colonels Campbell, Shelby, Sevier, Hill, Lacey, Williams, Cleveland; Lieutenant Colonels Hawthorn, Hambright; Majors McDowell, Chronicle, Winston, Chandler. The 1100 Tories were under Col. Patrick Ferguson, Capt. DePeyster, Lieut. Allaire. This brilliant victory was the turning point of the American Revolution. — Map (db m28242) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-17 — King's Mountain Military Academy Site / Micah Jenkins|
Military Academy Site
Micah Jenkins and Asbury Coward, graduates of The Citadel in Charleston, founded this Yorkville school in 1855. Closed during the Civil War, it was re-opened in 1866 by Coward, who later became head of S.C.Military Academy. The school closed permanently shortly before 1909, when the property was sold to the Episcopal Church Home.
Micah Jenkins, born 1835 at Edisto Island, graduated from The Citadel with first honors in 1854. . . . — Map (db m11272) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-20 — Town of Yorkville / Town of York|
|Town of Yorkville
Formerly known as Fergus's Cross Roads, later Yorkville, this county seat was established in 1785 on land originally granted to John Miller in 1767. According to Robert Mills, the town in 1826 had 8 stores, 5 taverns, a male and female academy, post office, printing office, and about 80 houses. The coming of the railroad in 1852 brought prosperity which was reflected in fine homes, public buildings, and educational institutions.
Town of York
During the . . . — Map (db m11299) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — 46-3 — Trinity M. E. Church, South|
Organized 1824 by the Reverends Wm. Gassaway & Jos. Holmes with former as pastor, Trinity is the oldest M.E. Church, South in York County. The original building was erected on College Street, 1826.
The first Sunday School in York County was organized at Trinity, March 3, 1829, by James Jefferys — Map (db m11298) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — York County Confederate Monument|
| . . . — Map (db m11169) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), York — York County Courthouse|
|The National Register
of Historic Places
Courthouse — Map (db m44278) HM|