HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Related Markers
Take a Virtual Tour by Markers of the Battle of Seven Pines. Unfortunately the Seven Pines & Fair Oaks battlefields were lost to development long ago. Use the “First >>” button above to see these markers in sequence.
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W 18 — Long Bridge
One mile south is Long Bridge over the Chickahominy River. Benedict Arnold sent Simcoe there in the British invasion of 1781. Longstreet crossed there in the Peninsular Campaign, May, 1862. Grant's Fifth and Second Corps crossed there, in June, 1864, on the way to Petersburg. — Map (db m16807) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W 17 — New Kent Road
This was the main road to Williamsburg in early days. Cornwallis, retiring eastward, used this road in June, 1781. The Confederates, retreating westward, passed over it in May, 1862. — Map (db m15679) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W 15 — Bottom's Bridge
On 20 May 1862, Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Union army crossed the Chickahominy River over Bottom's Bridge into Henrico County. Here Maj. Gen. Erasmus D. Keyes's Federal corps advanced over the bridge unopposed. As McClellan's army advanced on Richmond, the bridge served as a link between units deployed on both sides of the Chickahominy. When McClellan abandoned his supply base at White House on the Pamunkey River on 27-28 June 1862, a herd of cattle as well as some 4,000 wagons loaded with . . . — Map (db m15664) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W 14 — McClellan's Crossing
Here a part of McClellan's army crossed the Chickahominy on May 23, 1862, advancing on Richmond. It was attacked by the Confederates at Seven Pines. — Map (db m15676) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Richmond — W 2 — Williamsburg Road
During the Civil War, Union and Confederate armies engaged in battles along major transportation corridors. Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's defensive earthworks blocked Williamsburg Road east of here, for example, during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. On 31 May, Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill's division marched past here to attack the Federal position. Later that day, part of Maj. Gen. James Longstreet's division joined Hill. During the Seven Days' Battles under Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, Brig. . . . — Map (db m15922) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Varina — W-4 — McClellan’s Picket Line
The picket line of McClellan’s army crossed the road here on the morning of May 31, 1862. — Map (db m15050) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 37 — Battlefield of Seven Pines
On May 31, 1862, the Right Wing of the Confederate Forces under Joseph E. Johnston advanced Eastward from this point on both sides the Williamsburg Road to attack the left of McClellan's Army which held Seven Pines and was preparing to besiege Richmond. — Map (db m14245) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 38 — Battlefield of Seven Pines
In their Eastward attack of May 31, 1862 on Federal troops holding Seven Pines, Rodes' Brigade to the South of this highway and Garland’s Brigade to the North, supported respectively by Rains and G.B. Anderson, came under heavy fire approximately at this point. — Map (db m14246) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — W 5 — McClellan’s First Line
Union Brig. Gen. Silas Casey held both sides of the road here on 31 May 1862, in Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan’s first defensive line at Seven Pines. Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston ordered a dawn attack, but his lieutenants acted slowly. Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill waited with his division about a mile west of here for the sound of gunfire to the south that was his signal to move. Exasperated by the delay, he assaulted on his own at 1 P.M. and smashed through Casey’s position to McClellan’s . . . — Map (db m14322) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 39 — Battlefield of Seven Pines
The Federal first line, against which the right wave of the Confederate Army directed the main assault of May 31, 1862, crossed the Williamsburg Road near this spot. Casey’s Redoubt, the centre of Federal resistance on this line, was 200 yards southward. — Map (db m14247) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 40 — Battlefield of Seven Pines
Nearby stood "The Twin Houses" from the vicinity of which Confederate Troops moving eastward, charged the Federal Second Line near Seven Pines after they had stormed Casey's Redoubt and the rest of the Federal First Line on May 31, 1862. — Map (db m14248) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 41 — Battlefield of Seven Pines
In the abatis occupying this ground and covering the second Federal line, the advance of Rodes' Brigade was halted by heavy fire after sunset, May 31,1862. The Confederate dead in this last charge were never removed. They still slumber hereabout. — Map (db m14513) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — W 9 — McClellan’s Second Line
Here, at Seven Pines, was McClellan’s second and main line of defense. The Confederates under D. H. Hill, having taken the first line, attacked this position, held by Casey and Couch reinforced by Kearny, May 31, 1862. The battle was bitterly contested until Longstreet sent in fresh troops. The Union line was broken; the Unionists fell back a mile and a half to the east. — Map (db m14326) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — W 7 — Fair Oaks Station
This intersection of the Richmond and York River Railroad with the Nine Mile Road became one of Henrico County’s best-known landmarks during the Civil War. Fair Oaks Station lay on the north side of the junction. As part of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s Confederate attack at Seven Pines on 31 May 1862, his troops under Brig. Gen. Richard H. Anderson passed here as they assaulted the Union right. On 29 June 1862, an innovative Confederate artillery piece was pushed past the intersection by a . . . — Map (db m10604) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — W 10 — Second Day at Seven Pines
Most of the fighting on the second day of the Battle of Seven Pines (Fair Oaks), occurred near here on 1 June 1862. Confederate Maj. Gen. Gustavus W. Smith, who had assumed command following the wounding of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston the evening before, resumed the attack in the morning. When the Union defenses proved too strong, the Confederates disengaged and retired to their original lines. Gen. Robert E. Lee, who already had been assigned to command the Confederate troops in front of Richmond . . . — Map (db m10599) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — W 11 — McClellan's Third Line
Here ran McClellan's third line of defense, May 31 - June 1, 1862. The Confederates, taking the first and second lines on this road, did not reach the third. — Map (db m15662) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 8-W — McClellan’s Withdrawal
In this vicinity a part of McClellan’s army remained for several weeks after the Battle of Seven Pines. The part of his army north of the Chickahominy was attacked by Lee, June 26-27, 1862. McClellan then began to withdraw to the James, June 28-29, 1862. — Map (db m3726) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 42 — Richmond DefencesCrossing of the Outer Line
At this point the outer line of the Confederate Defences of Richmond crossed the Williamsburg Road. Begun after the Battle of Seven Pines and subsequently much strengthened, the Eastern face of this line was a continuous earthwork from the James to the Chickahominy River. — Map (db m14251) HM
18 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 40 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.