The Battle of Ringgold Gap by markers. Use the First >> button above to see these markers in sequence.|
|Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — 023-16 — Ringgold Gap November 27, 1863|
|After the battle of Missionary Ridge, Bragg's Confederate Army retreated in disorder towards Dalton. Brig. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne was ordered to take position in the gap, hold back the Federals, and save the trains and artillery from capture. Exercising his only independent command, Cleburne utilized the terrain and his well-trained troops, to hold up Federals pursuit for five precious hours. The trains and artillery were saved. By Joint Resolution, the Confederate Congress thanked Cleburne for his achievement. — Map (db m12181) HM|
|Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Atlanta Campaign Ringgold Gap May 7, 1864|
|National Historic Site Atlanta Campaign Ringgold Gap May 7, 1864 Here, through Ringgold Gap, a Federal advance position, Sherman and his army moved forward to begin the campaign against Atlanta and the heart of the South. The Confederate defense, well conceived and ably executed, delayed the march to the sea and the eventual division of the Confederacy — Map (db m12195) HM|
|Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — The Evans House Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail|
|The Evans house was a double-pen log structure located on the corner of Guyler and Nashville Streets in Ringgold. Before the war the widow Evans took in boarders at the house to provide an income for her family. Two of these were nurses from the local Confederate hospitals.
Fannie A. Beers was a young woman from Pensacola, Florida, whose husband was serving in the Confederate Army. Fannie had strong feeling for the Confederacy and early in the war offered her services as a nurse. She went . . . — Map (db m41103) HM|