|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 03-11 — Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro|
|In this vicinity were fought the engagements that ended the Atlanta Campaign of 1864. Confederate forces under Gen. Hardee, endeavoring to defend the remaining R.R. to Atlanta, against outnumbering Federal troops, Aug. 31 & Sept. 1 were forced to withdraw to Lovejoy's The area within the enclosure was a burial place of Confederate soldiers who died in local hospitals during the war. After its close, Confederate casualties (buried on the battlefields where they fell) were removed to this . . . — Map (db m12330) HM|
|Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-167 — Mt. Gilead M. E. Church — Organized 1824|
|In 1864, the building at this location was a prominent landmark in the final phases of Federal military operations against Atlanta.
Three Federal army corps marched this way enroute to Red Oak and Jonesboro; 4th and 14th of the Army of Cumberland and 23d of the Army of Ohio--August 27, 28, and 29. These composed the left wing in this southward march; the right wing. Army of the Tenn.. moved by roads west of here. The seizure of the two railroads below Atlanta at Red Oak and Jonesboro, . . . — Map (db m19896) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), College Park — 031-35 — 14th A.C. at Shoal Creek Church|
|Aug. 29, 1864. The 10th Mich. reg't, in advance of Davis’ 14th A. C. [US], en route from Red Oak to Jonesboro, encountered Armstrong’s & Martin’s cav. [CS] posted at the church, where a spirited delaying action forced the 10th to withdraw.
Aug. 30. The 14th A. C. advanced to the Church & after a brief halt, moved in 2 columns to the Fayetteville Rd.; Baird's div. marched N. E. to the Marcus Long house, then S. to Couch’s (at Riverdale on State Highway 139). Morgan’s & Carlin's divs. moved S. . . . — Map (db m18904) HM|
|Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-106 — Route of Stewart's Corps from Atlanta|
|Gen. Alex. P. Stewart’s A.C. & the Ga. Militia remained in Atlanta after Hardee’s & S.D. Lee’s corps (CS) were shifted to Jonesboro Aug. 30, 1864.
With Hardee’s defeat at that place Aug. 31, Atlanta was abandoned, night of Sept. 1. Stewart’s A.C. & Militia left the city after destroying 81 carloads of munitions & several locomotives on the tracks of the Georgia Railroad.
Stewart’s Corps & the Militia (CS) marched via the McDonough Rd. (Capitol Ave.) – the former to Lovejoy’s Sta. . . . — Map (db m10410) HM|
|Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 60-166 — Dry Pond|
|An old Campbell County crossroads cited in James P. Snell’s Diary as “a one-horse settlement with no pond, but two or three houses & blacksmith shop” — a landmark in the movement of Howard’s Army of the Tennessee from the Atlanta siege lines to the A. & W. P. railroad.
Aug 27, 1864. From this crossroads, the 15th A. C. marched S.E.; the 16th & 17th A. C. due S., their objective: Shadnor Ch. & Fairburn where, together with Army of the Cumberland & 23d
A. C. troops. The . . . — Map (db m19095) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Mountain View — 031-4 — Jonesboro Threatened|
|August 30, 1864. On receipt of Hardee’s report from Rough and Ready of Federal threats to the M. & W. R. R., at Jonesboro, Hood directed Hardee & S. D. Lee [CS] to come to headquarters. The locomotive N. C. MONROE was sent for them at sunset: Hardee at Rough and Ready, Lee at East Point. On reaching Atlanta, Hardee was directed by Hood to march two corps -- his own, under Cleburne, from near Rough and Ready, & Lee’s from East Point -- to Jonesboro. This was an endeavor to checkmate the . . . — Map (db m18339) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-26 — Battle of Jonesboro The First Day|
|Aug. 31, 1864. This immediate area was occupied by the Army of the Tenn. [US], commanded by Gen. O. O. Howard. These troops, Logan’s 15th, Ransom’s 16th & Blair’s 17th corps, marched to this position from Fairburn the previous day; the 15th & 17th cast up intrenched lines on this side of Flint river, the 16th, W. of it. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS], moving from lines W. of the town, attacked 15th & 17th A. C. fronts while Hardee’s corps assailed the refused flank of the 15th & part of the 16th . . . — Map (db m18824) HM|
|Georgia (Fulton County), Union City — 060-169 — Shadnor Baptist Church|
|Organized in 1840 as New Hope Baptist Church; named changed to Shadnor, 1853. The original log structure that stood a short distance N. of present one, was a prominent landmark during the foray of Federal forces to cut the West Point R. R. in this vicinity, & the Macon R. R. at & near Jonesboro ~~ August 1864. On the 28th and 29th, several miles of the A. & W. P. R. R. were destroyed as was Shadnor Baptist Church.
On August 30, 31, the Federal armies moved E. towards Jonesboro; Howard’s Army . . . — Map (db m16709) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-10 — Hardee’s Detour|
|Aug. 31, 1864. The night march of Hardee’s A. C. (followed by Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s) [CS] from East Point & Rough and Ready to Jonesboro, was not without incident. About 3 A. M. the head of Brown’s column encountered Federal pickets at the bridge near John Chamber’s Mill. Rather than risk a night battle, the columns detoured on a field road eastward & entered Jonesboro on the Morrow’s Station road which parallels the R. R. This caused considerable delay; it was well into the forenoon . . . — Map (db m18175) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-23 — Site of McPeak House|
|Cited in Official Records of military operations at Jonesboro, 1864; not the one standing in 1958, but one at rear on the old road of which the driveway is a remaining portion. Aug. 31, 1864, Hardee’s A. C. & Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s, marched via this old rd. when they detoured from the Rough & Ready road to the one near the railroad, enroute to Jonesboro. This 3 A. M. detour was made to avoid Federal outposts at the bridge near Chamber’s Mill. This sector was occupied by Federal 14th . . . — Map (db m59426) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-14 — Diverted Attack|
|Aug. 31, 1864. The three divs. of Hardee’s A. C. [CS] Lowrey’s, Brown’s & Maney’s (under Gen. Cleburne), moved W. from Jonesboro to attack the flank of the intrenched Federal 15th A. C. 400 yds. N. This called for a wheel to the right (or N.) & was timed in concert with an assault by S. D. Lee’s A. C. on the Federals facing Jonesboro. Three of Lowrey’s brigades, diverted by finding Kilpatrick’s dismounted cav. [US] this side Flint River, not only drove it across but pursued it to the other . . . — Map (db m18294) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Riverdale — 031-17 — Site of Couch House|
|Because of its location at the center of Federal forces moving toward the Macon R. R. & Jonesboro, in Aug. 1864, the Drew Couch house, a log structure which stood at this site, was designated headquarters by the high command. Here, Generals Sherman & Thomas transmitted & received dispatches & maneuvering forces were posted in relation to the house as a landmark. Orders & reports cite the house 25 times in Official Records. From this sector the 14th A. C., Army of the Cumberland, moved to the . . . — Map (db m18255) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-15 — Attack by Lee's Corps|
|Gen. Hood's move to checkmate the Federal foray at Jonesboro on the one remaining railroad entering Atlanta, resulted in two major engagements August 31 & September 1, 1864. Aug. 31. A concerted attack on the Fed. 15th A. C. between the town & Flint River westward, was made by Hardee's & S. D. Lee's corps [CS], the former advancing from below the town - the latter, in this sector, above it. Lee's three divisions, Anderson's, Clayton's, & Stevenson's, moved directly on the intrenched front of . . . — Map (db m18288) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-13 — Lee's Corps Withdrawn|
|Aug. 31, 1864. When Gen. Hood in Atlanta heard that Federal forces had seized the railroad at Rough and Ready & suspecting an attack from that quarter, he ordered Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] to move back toward Atlanta to support Stewart’s A. C. there. This order was issued before Hood learned that Hardee’s & Lee’s troops had been engaged with Howard’s forces [US] all that afternoon at Jonesboro. Sept. 1. Lee began his march at 2 A. M. on this road which joins the McDonough-Atlanta road six . . . — Map (db m18809) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-24 — Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day|
|Sept. 1, 1864. The area bounded by the McPeak house (N), the Warren house (S), the R. R. (E), & U.S. 41 (W), was the scene of the final pitched battle of the Atlanta Campaign (begun May 7, '64). Hardee’s A. C. [CS], posted in a salient angle at the Warren house, was attacked by Carlin's 1st, Morgan’s 2d, & Baird's 3d divs. of Davis’ 14th A. C. Moving S. E. from the Fayetteville Rd. (at Riverdale), they went into action at 5 P. M.; the battle ended with nightfall & withdrawal of Hardee’s . . . — Map (db m18185) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — Heritage Place — 1981|
|Historic Jonesboro, named in honor of Samuel Goode Jones in 1845, was founded in 1823 as Leaksville. Later Clayton County was created by the Act of November 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties, and Jonesboro became the County Seat. The town was rebuilt in 1864 after being razed by Sherman’s troops on their March to the Sea. Later the area was immortalized in Margaret Mitchell’s epic, “Gone With The Wind”. — Map (db m18815) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — The Johnson-Blalock House|
|Ante-Bellum home of James F. Johnson, attorney, planter, merchant, Confederate officer and noted political figure in mid-nineteenth century Georgia. Johnson introduced the legislation which created Clayton County in 1858 and the bill which incorporated the town of Jonesboro in 1859. Col. Johnson knew virtually all of Georgia's political leaders over a period of years and it is reasonable to assume that a number of distinguished Georgians were guests in the Johnson home. The house was acquired . . . — Map (db m18183) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-3 — The Warren House|
| During the War Between the States, on this property to the north and west of this house was fought a major part of the Battle of Jonesboro, August 31st and September 1st,1864. The battle was a struggle to capture the railroad to cut off supplies to Atlanta from the south. This house, used as headquarters and a hospital during the battle by the 52nd Illinois Regiment, was built by G.L. Warren in 1840. For many years, a bullet lodged in the wall and cannonballs in the yard were evidence of the proximity of heavy fighting. — Map (db m12357) HM|