Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Related Historical Markers

Battle of Prairie Grove by Markers
 
Markers and Monuments in front of Visitor Center image, Click for more information
By Craig Swain, August 30, 2010
Markers and Monuments in front of Visitor Center
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Battle of Prairie Grove December 7, 1862
The battle on this field was fought between the Confederate army of General T.C. Hindman (Arkansas) and Federal forces commanded by Generals James G. Blunt (Kansas) and F.J. Herron (Iowa). Battlefield Park occupies the approximate center of the . . . — Map (db m35248) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Hindman Hall Museum National Register of Historic Places
(Upper Plaque):This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior (Lower Plaque): Hindman Hall Museum At bequest by Biscoe Hindman, son of General Thomas C. Hindman . . . — Map (db m35253) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — March of the Armies December 3-7, 1862
General Hindman on the Arkansas River planned to drive General Blunt's Federal army out of northwest Arkansas. The Confederate army left Van Buren on December 3. Enroute north, Hindman learned that Blunt had called for help from General Herron at . . . — Map (db m35255) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Battlefield Park
The original 10 acres of Battlefield Park were purchased in 1908 by the Prairie Grove chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and maintained by the U.D.C. for nearly 50 years as a memorial park. From 1886 to 1926 an annual reunion of . . . — Map (db m35272) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Major General Thomas C. Hindman
Thomas C. Hindman commanded the Confederate army in the battle of Prairie Grove. He was born 1828 in Tennessee. Served in the War with Mexico, later moving from Mississippi to Helena, Ark. Was elected to Congress in 1859. In 1861 he entered the . . . — Map (db m35275) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Rhea's Mill Battle Monument
This tower was the chimney of Rhea's Mill, which stood 6 miles northwest of this spot. The mill was operated by the Federal army before and after the battle of Prairie Grove. General Blunt's supply train was at Rhea's during the battle, under guard . . . — Map (db m35276) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Generals James G. Blunt and Francis J. Herron
General James G. Blunt General Blunt of Kansas commanded the First Division of the Federal army in the battle of Prairie Grove. He was made Brigadier General in April 1862 and given command of all Kansas troops. His army was at Cane Hill . . . — Map (db m35277) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Blunt's Attack
From this spot the observer is viewing the terrain over which General James G. Blunt's 1st Division advanced on the afternoon of December 7, 1862, to attack the Confederate left and relieve the pressure on General F. J. Herron's 2nd and 3rd . . . — Map (db m35329) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — General Shaver's Headquarters
During the Battle of Prairie Grove Gen. Robt. G. Shaver established his head- quarters under this tree Dec. 7, 1862 This spot marked by U.D.C. June 20, 1932. — Map (db m35332) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Historic Wall
The circular stone wall that encloses the Battle Monument is built of stones from historic structures of Washington County. Some 40 communities are represented, including the pioneer settlements at Cane Hill, Cincinnati, Viney Grove, Rhea's Mill, . . . — Map (db m35360) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Morrow House Confederate Headquarters
This house, built about 1855, was the home of the John Morrow family, and originally stood on Cove Creek 9 miles south of here. On the night before the battle of Prairie Grove, Confederate General T.C. Hindman met with his division and brigade . . . — Map (db m35361) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — The Lord's Vineyard
This 2-story log house and out-buildings were erected by John Latta about 1834 on Evansville Creek, 12 miles southwest of this spot. The Latta settlement was called Vineyard from "The Lord's Vineyard." Vineyard was the first postoffice in Washington . . . — Map (db m35363) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Archibald Borden House
The heaviest casualties were around the Archibald Borden house and orchard. The first house was burned the day after the battle. Mr. Borden built this house on the site of the original in 1872. Charles W. Walker, 34th Arkansas Infantry, recalled: . . . — Map (db m35365) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 3 — Blocher's Arkansas Battery
Blocher's Arkansas Battery was the focal point of the Union attacks. A sergeant in the battery reported: "...The enemy advanced upon us with their artillery, under cover of their infantry, until within range of our battery when they opened a most . . . — Map (db m35411) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Herron's Attack
From this spot the observer is viewing the fields over which General F.J. Herron's army advanced on the morning of December 7, 1862, to attack the Confederate position on this ridge. Because the ford of the Illinois River was under artillery fire, . . . — Map (db m35415) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — The Dead of Prairie Grove
The men who died on this field on December 7, 1862 are buried in the soldier cemeteries in Fayetteville. 700 unknown Confederate soldiers are in the cemetery maintained by the Southern Memorial Association on East Mountain. The Union dead are in the . . . — Map (db m35416) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 8 — 26th Indiana and 37th Illinois Infantry
The 26th Indiana Infantry and the 37th Illinois Infantry made another attack up the ridge. Colonel John G. Clark, 26th Indiana, U.S.A., wrote: "The regiment was ... ordered on the left of the 37th Illinois...Soon after...they were ordered to . . . — Map (db m35421) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 9 — Lieutenant Colonel John C. Black
Lieutenant Colonel John C. Black, 37th Illinois Infantry, ordered the retreat of his regiment and the 26th Indiana to a fence at the foot of the ridge. There, the men faced a Confederate counterattack. Captain William P. Black, brother of Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m35423) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 2 — 29th Arkansas Infantry
Brothers Columbus and Ad Gray of Company D, 29th Arkansas Infantry, withstood the first Union assault and counterattacked with Sergeant Ad Gray in the lead. Columbus Gray wrote home after seeing his brother fall mortally wounded: "I stopped, . . . — Map (db m35430) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — West Battlefield Overlook
(Panels from Left to Right) (First Panel): At the time of the battle, Nancy Morton lived with her parents in the William Morton house west of this location. When the fighting intensified in the area, the Mortons and three other families . . . — Map (db m35434) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Site of the first Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Used as a hospital during the battle of Prairie Grove 1862 marked by Prairie Grove Chapter U.D.C. 1930. — Map (db m88394) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement